Sign in to follow this  
aA

stupid whisker pole launcher questions

looking at snipe systems (to be used in another class) i get the following:

1. line to clew through pole and dead ended on boom

2. launch line - attached to end of pole, through bungee’d block (hung from spreaders) 6-12” above gooseneck, through block at mast then to deck and into cleating system 

3. retract - 4:1 bungee in boom through sheave at end of boom and attached to butt end of pole

anything i am missing there?

now big question is sleeve at front end of pole (that attaches with bungee to boom as close to mast as possible) could obviously be fabbed  from pvc, but is there a standard part available? google-foo is yielding no results or i’m a dumbass who cannot figure out the right keyword

7 hours ago, European Bloke said:

We went through this. In the end the down the mast version used in the N12 is much better. You can set it to leeward on a reach which is really effective.

https://www.national12.org/news_ltr/1997/97news4.shtml

thanks for the reply, unfortunately that system is not an option 

14 hours ago, aA said:

looking at snipe systems (to be used in another class) i get the following:

anything i am missing there?

ever sail a snipe?    those launching systems suck balls..  there's always something that gets screwed up...  

Been using the Snipe system for years on a Windmill. Use PVC parts for forward end. Spray paint for cosmetics. Save $250!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Do you meant this type of fitting for the inboard end?

https://www.technicalmarinesupplies.co.uk/brands/ezi-launcher/

The trouble in most are designed for twin pole systems, so the fitting on the mast is a double fitting.

Can I ask why you can go with the down the mast option?

not ball and socket. like the inboard end here:

http://www.snipetoday.org/articles/technical-experts/boats-equipments/snipe-rigging-101/

pole is too long for up the mast. the entire purpose of the launcher is to assist the 8 year old little person crewing deploy a pole 3 times her size

5 hours ago, aA said:

not ball and socket. like the inboard end here:

http://www.snipetoday.org/articles/technical-experts/boats-equipments/snipe-rigging-101/

pole is too long for up the mast. the entire purpose of the launcher is to assist the 8 year old little person crewing deploy a pole 3 times her size

Ahh, I see thank you. I don't think it is to long for up the mast, but as the jib has more overlap I don't think you could make the pole work to leward.

The standard Snipe launcher system uses a single line running from the clew, through the pole (front to back), back forward through the block on the mast that fixes the inboard end when deployed, and then down through a block and cleat on the deck.  Nothing is dead-ended other than the shock cord.

The system works reasonably well on the Snipe once it's set up, but I'd be reluctant to use it on anything much bigger where you can't muscle the whole boat around when it doesn't work right.  A non-launcher pole works fine as well, Stars use them and we used to use them in Snipes too.

Beene wacheng thisse foire severalle dayes, haventte reade throuh it, butte woudente be bettere to starte with a 'smartere' whiskere polle?

:)

On 11/20/2020 at 8:25 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Beene wacheng thisse foire severalle dayes, haventte reade throuh it, butte woudente be bettere to starte with a 'smartere' whiskere polle?

They talk back

4 minutes ago, laserandy said:
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:25 PM, Snaggletooth said:

They talk back

'smarte asserey' hasse certin benefittes...........                            :)

• Like 1

Does the Snipe system count on the forestay being loose and bagging off downwind to get the pole through on gybes?  I've never touched one but the geometry suggests it may.