Winston Smith

Calling All Captains!

Is anybody actually doing this work anymore???

I need a boat purchase shipped from UK to Netherlands and looking for information how do I get a captain for the job, is it still possible in Corona?

And how much would it cost? No idea how long the sail is, but it's an 8 hour drive :)

2 hours ago, Winston Smith said:

And how much would it cost? No idea how long the sail is, but it's an 8 hour drive :)

Here's the best line

Uhh, I can drive under the English channel, but I can't bring a boat down there.

I also do not want to sail back across the English Channel. Not with my sailing skill set. And not in winter. I need a pro to bring her home.

I think I just need a reference. I have no idea how this works, as this is my first boat.

Is there a site for captains where they bid on jobs or something? Or a website with some kind of delivery calculator or something where I can at least get a clue how much this will cost and if it will break the boat purchase deal?

Also any estimates how long to sail from South England to Amsterdam would be very helpful.

You're going to need to tell someone where the boat is, what it is, and what state it's in before anyone will touch it.

It's not a difficult trip, just best to avoid an autumn gales and it will be fine as long as the boat mostly works.  With the short days you're going to want confidence in the electrical system, and to get through the locks in the Netherlands the engine in going to need to be reasonably reliable.

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

You're going to need to tell someone where the boat is, what it is, and what state it's in before anyone will touch it.

It's not a difficult trip, just best to avoid an autumn gales and it will be fine as long as the boat mostly works.  With the short days you're going to want confidence in the electrical system, and to get through the locks in the Netherlands the engine in going to need to be reasonably reliable.

Wait, hold on.

What are you doing, giving that kind of sensible advice?

Just ask at your closest yacht club, they are usually full of sailors. (Or at least I'm pretty sure they will know one)

Winston Smith!!???

I love your artwork!

convenience.jpg

A quick bit of googling could find you any number of UK based delivery skippers who could quote you this.  Since you haven't done that, you must be looking for someone really special - have you considered contacting Captain Ron?

Might be over thinking this. Getting a yacht from the south coast to the Netherlands is a weekend job, long weekend if it's a small boat or down in the southwest.

So it's a stretch to suggest you need a plan.

5 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Just ask at your closest yacht club bar, they are usually full of sailors. (Or at least I'm pretty sure they will know one)

A slightly more specific addition. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, European Bloke said:

I'm looking at a few Westerlys- Longbow, Konsort, and Fulmar for my first live aboard. I like the high cabin roof that goes far forward and the extra space and light that provides. Dutch boats that compete on this basis seem to cost a lot more. Ironically once I'm better at sailing, I want to sail to England LOL :) And lots of other places...

I'll have a survey done so all should work fine. These boats are 29-32 feet long.

I'm only looking at examples with newer fresh water cooling so I think the engine will be ok.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:44 AM, Black Sox said:

Have you considered putting it on a trailer/container and having it moved commercially?

Can you do that with a boat this size? It's an interesting option... Though it may come into Rotterdam and I'll still have to sail it home on the Channel from there.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, chuso007 said:

Just ask at your closest yacht club, they are usually full of sailors. (Or at least I'm pretty sure they will know one)

Good idea thanks.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, basketcase said:

Now! If I can find a nice English lady to sail it home for me, she'll have my heart forever! LOL.

Here I thought finding a live aboard girlfriend we be step two!

On 11/12/2020 at 6:13 PM, hobot said:

Winston Smith!!???

I love your artwork!

convenience.jpg

I was thinking more George Orwell, but good reference :)

On 11/12/2020 at 6:48 PM, hdra said:

A quick bit of googling could find you any number of UK based delivery skippers who could quote you this.  Since you haven't done that, you must be looking for someone really special - have you considered contacting Captain Ron?

Captain Ron, you mean Kurt Russell? That would be awesome! Does he bring the girls? I'll go with, umm you know, to help :)

So I tried that Google thing and it gave a small list. Though they mostly seem a bit overqualified, unless a Fulmar 32 weighs 200 tons haha- I suppose I could try a few of them for quotes.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, AnotherSailor said:

So, you bought a boat without a plan to get it home?

Just making sure I get this right...

Considering buying. The selection looks much better in England.

I have the confidence to just do it myself, but not really any skill. I mean you just pull one of those cables and the sail goes up right? Then what you just point it and go East I suppose. If a big storm comes I'd just fire up the engine and put the pedal to the medal and I'm sure it would work out fine. Then again some small voice is whispering in my head that this is possibly not a fantastic idea. But I've got a GPS on my phone, so what could possibly go wrong?

On 11/12/2020 at 8:37 PM, European Bloke said:

Might be over thinking this. Getting a yacht from the south coast to the Netherlands is a weekend job, long weekend if it's a small boat or down in the southwest.

So it's a stretch to suggest you need a plan.

Maybe above is not such a bad plan after all. Just gas it up, go full steam ahead, use the phone GPS, and learn to sail when I get it here. Maybe there's a guide somewhere on the Amsterdam locks...

5 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

A guy named Rocky may be your best bet, he has moved boats from A to B before and the results ended up on this very forum.

A British subscriber with SA account name Rocky? Or Rocky as in where I'll end up if I try this myself LOL?

• Like 1

the 200 ton license is the minimum commercial license anyone you would want to hire in the UK is going to have - the Yachtmaster Ocean/Offshore with commercial endorsement.  If you haven't already, try talking to these guys - https://www.pydww.co.uk  - A friend of mine who was a good skipper used to do some delivery skipper work through them, and they seemed to be put together.  

You're getting smartass answers because you started your post like a smartass/troll.

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss.

Assuming you're not I'm not sure if want to live in a 30 for sailing yacht, if you're just looking for cheap accommodation in Amsterdam a motor boat will give you a lot more living space.

If you want to sail then the Fulmar is a really nice sailing yacht with decent accommodation. Much better than the others you list. My parents used to own one and as a result I overcame my Westerly prejudice. Buy a fin keel version, not the twin/bilge keel option.

The Solent to Ijmuden must be about 300 miles, roughly 2.5 days sailing with no stops. Not sure how long the canal takes with all the bridges. You could set off Thursday morning and be tucked up at home Sunday night.

If you genuinely have no idea how to sail do not expect to start the engine and drive there... It doesn't work like that. Even if the engine starts there no telling how long it will run for, especially if it's rough. You could hire a trainer and go along as crew, or get it delivered. I'm sure it would be cheaper to deliver on it's own bottom than to stick it on a truck.

https://westerly.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/westerly-fulmar/638291

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hdra said:

the 200 ton license is the minimum commercial license anyone you would want to hire in the UK is going to have - the Yachtmaster Ocean/Offshore with commercial endorsement.  If you haven't already, try talking to these guys - https://www.pydww.co.uk  - A friend of mine who was a good skipper used to do some delivery skipper work through them, and they seemed to be put together.  

You're getting smartass answers because you started your post like a smartass/troll.

I didn't think 'calling all captains' was a 'smart ass troll' thing to say.

When I said 'is anybody actually doing this work anymore' I meant it! There is a Corona going on you know??? And it's having a tiny bit of effect on international travel, which is exactly what I need. I thought that would be obvious but oh well... Guess people thought that was a sarcastic comment. Which I suppose I can understand. These are pretty crazy times!

Anyway thanks for the link I'll check them out.

2 hours ago, European Bloke said:

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss.

Assuming you're not I'm not sure if want to live in a 30 for sailing yacht, if you're just looking for cheap accommodation in Amsterdam a motor boat will give you a lot more living space.

If you want to sail then the Fulmar is a really nice sailing yacht with decent accommodation. Much better than the others you list. My parents used to own one and as a result I overcame my Westerly prejudice. Buy a fin keel version, not the twin/bilge keel option.

The Solent to Ijmuden must be about 300 miles, roughly 2.5 days sailing with no stops. Not sure how long the canal takes with all the bridges. You could set off Thursday morning and be tucked up at home Sunday night.

If you genuinely have no idea how to sail do not expect to start the engine and drive there... It doesn't work like that. Even if the engine starts there no telling how long it will run for, especially if it's rough. You could hire a trainer and go along as crew, or get it delivered. I'm sure it would be cheaper to deliver on it's own bottom than to stick it on a truck.

https://westerly.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/westerly-fulmar/638291

Yeah when I said I'd just fuel it up go full throttle and I'm sure I'd be fine I was being about half sarcastic. I actually don't know. IMO crossing the English channel at this time of year is a job for an expert. Although this is literally what I considered doing! Just getting by with my mobile GPS, then I thought no that's insane... If there were places I could stop and refuel and stay if the weather's rough, then move on to the next leg, etc I might be OK. But even getting across the channel seems a bit dodgy with my total lack of navigational experience. I have sailed a bit, but I've never even pulled up a storm sail so.. Yeah, pro needed. 

That's a tough one about the motor boat. I'm considering that too. Then I can save for a larger sailboat. My end goal is to live aboard a sailboat and travel. But I think I would rather get a small sailboat and rough it for a year or two while saving for a bigger boat. I really just want to sail asap.

I really like the Fulmar. I'm even considering the one you linked ;-) I am a little concerned why the engine which is only 20 years old looks so dirty, and a little corroded in spots. I've seen cleaner 50 year old engines. Besides that it looks pretty good, especially for the price. I'm sure I would love it.

Hiring a trainer and going as a crew sounds brilliant. Then I can get real training on my own boat which is perfect and something I would eventually want to do anyway. Nice idea thanks.

Also this one isn't the prettiest or fastest model I suppose, but it's been for sale a while and they might take a low ball bid. I have a pathetic 10-12K Euros to work with right now. Yeah I know but you have to start somewhere right :)

https://www.botentekoop.com/sailing-yachts/westerly-longbow/cd02248f-a19d-4-Pulse-8-9601ea99df-49556

It's in South Netherlands, so (call me a wuss!) I'd still want a captain to get her home to Amsterdam. I just don't want to be learning to sail and learning navigation equipment, and learning actual sea sailing, and learning the locks all at the same time.

Ask around.  Call harbor offices or a chandlery.  Find a boating group on FB near where the boat rests or will arrive.  Ask those folks.  

5 hours ago, Winston Smith said:

I'm looking at a few Westerlys- Longbow, Konsort, and Fulmar for my first live aboard. I like the high cabin roof that goes far forward and the extra space and light that provides. Dutch boats that compete on this basis seem to cost a lot more. Ironically once I'm better at sailing, I want to sail to England LOL :) And lots of other places...

Check in with the Westerly Owners Association, it's very active in the UK and there are some Dutch members as well - you'll likely get all the help and advice you need. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone willing to make the sail with you.

As 30-ish footers go they can be pretty comfortable as a live-aboard. I've got a Berwick (same layout as the Longbow except twin bilge keels), very spacious salon and standing headroom in both the salon and the forward cabin.

nothing against westerlies, have sailed on them -although bigger ones- here and there  (=patagonia, pacific and adriatic) and they are slow, fat and reliable, and next is living aboard a 30 footer, now that's what I do most of my time but on a far more recent one that is far better insulated (think about that one, really, it can get bloody cold and humid in A'dam) and can tell you 30 foot is small, some can't handle that.

next is question why on earth you would want to find something in the UK, when Holland has so many fine boats on offer, and if they seem to be more expensive ... there is a good reason for that, usually in better condition. small hint : go to botenbank, type in Jupiter 30 and see what you get, I'm not plugging anything, it's just that it's a type I know quite well, have sailed it all over Holland and Belgian coast including 2 times Staande Mast route and I think it might tick a lot of boxes for you.

but ok, if you insist on buying in the UK now and bringing it over now ... bad season, look at quarantine measures, in absolute best conditions it is indeed a weekend job but how sure can one be about that ... for safety count on a week and include the possibility you'd have to leave it somewhere along the way and pick it up later again.

good call on you that you would want to have somebody along who knows how to sail, no real need for a full pro but if you can afford it, go for it, otherwise look around where you are, plenty of dutch knowitalls who can do that too, wink. but if you are such a sailing virgin like you describe yourself, absolutely don't try this on your own at this time of the year.

for routing, the options are clear, but it's all weather depending certainly during fall and winter, you follow british coast or hop over immediately and follow continental cost, plenty of fallback options, once past Belgium I'd opt for the inland route, meaning the Staande Mast route, except if by accident you find yourself a nice weather window to go direct over the Dutch coast.

good luck

On 11/12/2020 at 9:48 AM, hdra said:

- have you considered contacting Captain Ron?

Word to the wise: be sure to study up on the difference between gorillas guerrillas,  just sayin' 

You're wise to be worried about the condition of the engine, but a clean engine is not necessarily a well maintained one. My father rebuilt the engine in his Fulmar and then replaced it when that didn't work. Big money, big stress. If you don't know about these things get someone who does to have a look. Those Buks were bastards.

The suggestion of looking for someone else to help you move the boat is a good one. It doesn't need to be a paid pro. The previous owner might even do it, most people like the opportunity to go sailing.

The big issue with motoring the boat is past maintenance. Boats that have been sat around unloved can have very dodgy fuel systems. It may start and run, but shake up the crap in the fuel on a rough sea and you'll clog everything up. Have a look in the cruising forum at the thread about Dylan's new boat for an example.

If you want a sailing boat the Fulmar is far away the best of any you've mentioned. I say that as an ardent Westerly hater for many years.

Thanks for the responses. I'm just going to think about those comments for a little while :)

C'mon..... you're THE Winston Smith, right???

(love your work!)

bedtime-for-demoreagan.jpg

On 11/14/2020 at 11:09 AM, Winston Smith said:

There is a Corona going on you know??

Corona | Drinking beer, Beer bottle, Beer

• Like 1