valis

SpaceX Crewed Dragon Launch

After a weather delay, the SpaceX crewed Dragon launch will happen (we hope) today (Sunday, Nov 15 2020) at 3:15 PM EST.  This one will take a crew of four up to the ISS.  This is the first "working" crewed launch.  Link: https://www.spacex.com/launches/

This mission is planned to last 180 days, the Dragon returning to earth in June 2021.

Edited by valis

Not to drift the thread, and (time permitting) I will try to watch.   Great stuff this is to see.

I do have to wonder about crewed missions at this point in history.   I think we are not really there yet.  Too much risk and expense for too little gained.

Send more robotic missions first.

In the future, yes indeed.  Crewed missions and space exploration are an awesome thing.

Now?  Hmmm...

Launch live NASA; YouTube; space x crew Dragon launch is online now T - Four hours

Watching them suit up. Apparently that's the room all the crews before them used. Cool stuff.

Screen_Shot_2020-11-15_at_2_37.43_PM.thumb.png.a473548336a6d25a35ec8e42d54a4867.png

Could have done without the national anthem. Cool gull wings. Thought they were suicide doors at first.

Will come back later when the Rah rah has diminished, hopefully.

Do we really need all the fist pumping and 'Go-Team' stuff?

Maybe they do, but not for everyone.

24 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Could have done without the national anthem. Cool gull wings. Thought they were suicide doors at first.

That is a mostly standard tesla model x.  I say mostly as the seats have some hookups for the suits in them.  

Anyone have update on launch time?  Is it 3:15pm or as another post indicates 7:15pm. 

Doing delivery down the coast and ocean is “closed” off the coast of the cape during launch.  

Would like to confirm as we should arrive there 9pm. 

EDIT.  

Found it on Google 7:27pm

6 minutes ago, peragrin said:

That is a mostly standard tesla model X.  I say mostly as the seats have some hookups for the suits in them.  

FTFY

2 minutes ago, Snore said:

Anyone have update on launch time?

About 2 hrs 50 min from now, barring any hiccups.

• Like 1

Pad 39A, launchpad to the moon. Traditional "pre flight inspection".

Screen_Shot_2020-11-15_at_3_37.54_PM.thumb.png.1c7c8f7dd70fb1807319cfec47f197ed.png

• Like 1

All cool aviators have cool aviator watches. He definitely qualifies.

I wonder why the launch crew wears black instead of white?

7:27:17 pm EST launch.  Weather permitting - forecasted at 50/50.

Because of orbital dynamic requirements to meet the ISS, there is no launch window, it is an instantaneous launch opportunity. Miss it, and you might wait a day.

T -60 minutes. 

5 hours ago, Windward said:

I do have to wonder about crewed missions at this point in history.   I think we are not really there yet.  Too much risk and expense for too little gained.

Send more robotic missions first.

In the future, yes indeed.  Crewed missions and space exploration are an awesome thing.

Now?  Hmmm...

well how do you set a paradigm for long term duration in space, unless you send manned crews up to the space station?  it's not like we're launching them to mars yet...

Pins and needles!  Wow!  Congratulations to all the SpaceX, NASA, and other teams who contributed to this major accomplishment.  You make me proud.

And sorry for the wrong time in my original post -- I got PST and EST mixed up.

BEAUTIFUL launch from here in south Spaced Coast. We're prolly 70 miles from the Cape.

The Falcon 9 was a long tongue of very bright flame as it rose above the scrub forest. Watched it all the way through SECO. MECO and SESU were really clear though my binos, and even got a glimpse of the first stage as it started back to earth and the drone ship. Amazing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well how do you set a paradigm for long term duration in space, unless you send manned crews up to the space station?  it's not like we're launching them to mars yet...

There will always be the timid.

all these spaceX  launches are cool, but it's the 1st stage recovery system that still blows my shit away. 

dropping a rocket on a barge, standing up, and being able to use it again is pretty impressive.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

all these spaceX  launches are cool, but it's the 1st stage recovery system that still blows my shit away. 

dropping a rocket on a barge, standing up, and being able to use it again is pretty impressive.

This........I’m amazed every time I see it. I never tire of seeing it happen. 

• Like 1

Very cool stuff!  

I heard  that it will take 27 hrs to catch up to the space station. I think they need a different travel agent.

SpaceX Crew Dragon Tames Minor Propellant, Thermal Problems During Flight

I was monitoring this last night on the NASA video site, more details here:

https://wccftech.com/spacex-crew-dragon-propellant-thermal-problems-overcome-minor/

It sounds like this wasn't a big deal, but it's not over until it's over, and even during the "easy" parts things can still go wrong.  I remember Apollo 13...

Very cool stuff.

I watched some of the replay.  Wow, have the ship controls changed.  

I like to hope that there is some good back and forth tech exchange for the Tesla cars and SpaceX.  I'm sure there is.

Space suits look way better as well from a comfort perspective.  They should design foulies for us boaty people.

Has space tourism started to spool up yet?  I think this is where manned space travel really needs to start.

3 hours ago, F_L said:

Very cool stuff!  

I heard  that it will take 27 hrs to catch up to the space station. I think they need a different travel agent.

Musk thinks they can do it in as little as three hours.  As for now:   baby steps.

Hell, even the neo-Sovs are doing it in 12.

17 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

BEAUTIFUL launch from here in south Spaced Coast. We're prolly 70 miles from the Cape.

The Falcon 9 was a long tongue of very bright flame as it rose above the scrub forest. Watched it all the way through SECO. MECO and SESU were really clear though my binos, and even got a glimpse of the first stage as it started back to earth and the drone ship. Amazing.

Atlas V, from Friday. 

8ACB1F16-4F0A-42B9-B4F9-7EA313E99356.jpeg

Cool. The four who went up are all ham operators.

Michael Hopkins KF5LJG
Victor Glover KI5BKC
Soichi Noguchi KD5TVP
Shannon Walker KD5DXB

3 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Musk thinks they can do it in as little as three hours.  As for now:   baby steps.

Hell, even the neo-Sovs are doing it in 12.

Baby steps, agree with that. Just seems like a long time. But I don't know squat about space travel.

27 minutes ago, atoyot said:

I suspect they're required to be, no?

At least have a RR license?

1 hour ago, atoyot said:

Michael Hopkins KF5LJG
Victor Glover KI5BKC
Soichi Noguchi KD5TVP
Shannon Walker KD5DXB

Sure they will be talking to kids schools etc if they can pretty cool.  Only place you can transmit background music etc on amature bands. Kinda funny they are all generals no extras.

You have to hold a GROL to maintain comm equipment under FARs, maybe that’s the reason.  They probably  have to be ready to in case of malfunctions. A little dumb as the test has little to do with radio tech, at least in the past.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:44 PM, chum said:

On orbit. First FAA certified commercial space flight.

Screen_Shot_2020-11-15_at_6_42.10_PM.thumb.png.382ca058ba5a9fdbcaeb4152bc839253.png

Forgive me for being an idiot, but don't screens 1 and 3 look a bit like the old analog TV test cards?

1 hour ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Sure they will be talking to kids schools etc if they can pretty cool.  Only place you can transmit background music etc on amature bands. Kinda funny they are all generals no extras.

You're aware their new repeater is cross-band, 2-metres in, and in the milrad space space below 70cm on the downlink. 

22 minutes ago, chum said:

You have to hold a GROL to maintain comm equipment under FARs, maybe that’s the reason.  They probably  have to be ready to in case of malfunctions. A little dumb as the test has little to do with radio tech, at least in the past.

No amateur license replaces a GROL, hence the term "amateur".  Some hams gain or have equivalent training over their lifetimes but it's not an accreditation of nearly the same type insofar as commercial radio maintenance. I expect those things on board are swap-n-play modular anyway.  Being in the hobby sure can't hurt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F_L said:

Baby steps, agree with that. Just seems like a long time. But I don't know squat about space travel.

• Like 2

While doing a delivery down the coast, we were off the Cape when SpaceX went up.  A real bucket list event.... Enjoy the pics

IMG_2756.jpeg

IMG_2762.jpeg

IMG_2765.jpeg

This is my favorite the "space wake"

IMG_2775.jpeg

• Like 3