atoyot

The Shit People will Study

This would never have occurred to me, and I feel richer for knowing it.

Link.

Dogs poop in alignment with Earth’s magnetic field, study finds

Science Jan 3, 2014 10:05 AM EST

Dogs use the Earth’s magnetic field when they’re relieving themselves. Not only that, but canines choose to do so in a north-south axis, a new study published in the journal Frontiers in Zoology says.

The study suggests that dogs are sensitive to small variations in Earth’s magnetic field. After examining 70 dogs — made up of 37 breeds — over two years, 1,893 defecations and 5,582 urinations, researchers found that under “calm magnetic field conditions,” dogs preferred to “excrete with the body being aligned along the north-south axis,” avoiding east-west altogether. Dogs were observed in a free-roaming environment, meaning they were not leashed and not influenced by walls or roads that would influence linear movement.

Well this explains it... 

If I use our guest bathroom for my daily sit down, it is a colossal masterpiece of human fecal matter...  and that toilet is aligned magnetic north to south. If I use the other one hmm not so good, that is oriented west south west to east north east... 

I shit you not...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mark K said:

One of the 2020 Ig Nobel winners, in keeping with the shit theme!

ETA... OOOps, then I read Mr. K's next post. Oh Well!

MATERIALS SCIENCE PRIZE [USA, UK]
Metin Eren, Michelle Bebber, James Norris, Alyssa Perrone, Ashley Rutkoski, Michael Wilson, and Mary Ann Raghanti, for showing that knives manufactured from frozen human feces do not work well.

51 minutes ago, atoyot said:

Link.

Dogs use the Earth’s magnetic field when they’re relieving themselves. Not only that, but canines choose to do so in a north-south axis, a new study published in the journal Frontiers in Zoology says.

The study suggests that dogs are sensitive to small variations in Earth’s magnetic field. After examining 70 dogs — made up of 37 breeds — over two years, 1,893 defecations and 5,582 urinations, researchers found that under “calm magnetic field conditions,” dogs preferred to “excrete with the body being aligned along the north-south axis,” avoiding east-west altogether. Dogs were observed in a free-roaming environment, meaning they were not leashed and not influenced by walls or roads that would influence linear movement.

You have got to be shitting me!

https://www.urbancompany.com/blog/interiors/vastu-for-toilets-bathrooms/

1. The best location for toilets and bathrooms is the north-west part of the home.

2. Avoid constructing toilets in the south-west direction as this tends to bring about ill-effects.

If your toilet happens to be in the south-west direction, you can fix it by using a couple of Vastu remedies. For instance, place a Vastu pyramid on the outer part of the south-west toilet wall. Another option is to keep the doors of the toilet closed at all times.

3. Make sure that the entrance door to the toilet is along the eastern or northern wall.

4. The best direction of the toilet seat, according to Vastu, is in the south-east or north-west side. This should be in such a way that a person using it is not facing either the east or the west.

5. Windows should open out along the east, north or west in your bathroom.

6. Constructing the toilet a couple of feet above the ground is a good idea.

7. Ensure that the toilet is positioned along the west or north-west, for a bathroom and toilet attached space. This is because the toilet is associated with the discarding of waste.

8. The shower or wash basin needs to be in the east, north or north-east of the bathroom.

9. Ensure that the toilet does not share a wall with the pooja room or the kitchen, as it can have negative repercussions.

10. Outlets for bathroom pipes must be towards the north or the east.

2 hours ago, atoyot said:

Link.

If you pay any attention to the pooches you already have noticed this. 

And I have no idea why it’s important enough to confirm with a large observational study. No idea.

5 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Well this explains it... 

If I use our guest bathroom for my daily sit down, it is a colossal masterpiece of human fecal matter...  and that toilet is aligned magnetic north to south. If I use the other one hmm not so good, that is oriented west south west to east north east... 

I shit you not...

I think you're full of shit.

Some better tell our mutt.  It starts a turd and starts circling until it all comes out.

54 minutes ago, astro said:

Some better tell our mutt.  It starts a turd and starts circling until it all comes out.

Must be on the equator, so.

• Like 2

I think my dog would throw off this study. He poops anywhere, in any direction. He will not poop while on a walk though, which is a huge pain while travelling. I wonder if that means anything. Think these guys would commission a study on that?

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I think you're full of shit.

I may be, but....

11 hours ago, VWAP said:

https://www.urbancompany.com/blog/interiors/vastu-for-toilets-bathrooms/

1. The best location for toilets and bathrooms is the north-west part of the home.

2. Avoid constructing toilets in the south-west direction as this tends to bring about ill-effects.

If your toilet happens to be in the south-west direction, you can fix it by using a couple of Vastu remedies. For instance, place a Vastu pyramid on the outer part of the south-west toilet wall. Another option is to keep the doors of the toilet closed at all times.

3. Make sure that the entrance door to the toilet is along the eastern or northern wall.

4. The best direction of the toilet seat, according to Vastu, is in the south-east or north-west side. This should be in such a way that a person using it is not facing either the east or the west.

5. Windows should open out along the east, north or west in your bathroom.

6. Constructing the toilet a couple of feet above the ground is a good idea.

7. Ensure that the toilet is positioned along the west or north-west, for a bathroom and toilet attached space. This is because the toilet is associated with the discarding of waste.

8. The shower or wash basin needs to be in the east, north or north-east of the bathroom.

9. Ensure that the toilet does not share a wall with the pooja room or the kitchen, as it can have negative repercussions.

10. Outlets for bathroom pipes must be towards the north or the east.

7 hours ago, astro said:

Coriolis force.

12 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

I may be, but....

I'll be damned - my house fits those requirements.

No wonder we've been happy here for almost 30 years. :D

Imagine the surprise of the guys who discovered the North Pole. When their turds pointed straight up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, atoyot said:

Link.

Your tax dollars at work. Who else would fund such a study?

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

FPM.jpg

I know... but I do like phucking with ya.. please don't ever take me seriously.. except from when in comes to Bruce Springsteen... he still sucks!  :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Your tax dollars at work. Who else would fund such a study?

The same phuckwitz that funded these.  And now there is software that will help you write the proposal for PhD Welfare grant to get the money to fund the study

Study shows beneficial effect of electric fans in extreme heat and humidity: You know that space heater you’ve been firing up every time the temperature climbs above 90º in August? Turns out you’ve been going about it all wrong. If you don’t have air conditioning, it seems that “fans” (which move “air” with the help of a cunning arrangement of rotating “blades”) can actually make you feel cooler. That, at least, was the news from a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) last February. Still to come: “Why Snow-Blower Use Declines in July.”

Study shows benefit of higher quality screening colonoscopies: Don’t you just hate those low-quality colonoscopies? You know, the ones when the doctor looks at your ears, checks your throat and pronounces, “That’s one fine colon you’ve got there, friend”? Now there’s a better way to go about things, according to JAMA, and that’s to be sure to have timely, high quality screenings instead. That may be bad news for “Colon Bob, Your $5 Colonoscopy Man,” but it’s good news for the rest of us.

Holding on to the blues: Depressed individuals may fail to decrease sadness: This one apparently came as news to the folks at the Association for Psychological Science and they’ve got the body of work to stand behind their findings. They’re surely the same scientists who discovered that short people often fail to increase inches, grouchy people don’t have enough niceness and folks who wear dentures have done a terrible job of hanging onto their teeth. The depression findings in particular are good news, pointing to exciting new treatments based on the venerable “Turn that frown upside down” method.

Quitting smoking after heart attack reduces chest pain, improves quality of life: Looks like you can say goodbye to those friendly intensive care units that used hand out packs of Luckies to post-op patients hankering for a smoke. Don’t blame the hospitals though, blame those buzz-kills folks at the American Heart Association who are responsible for this no-fun finding. Next in the nanny-state crosshairs: the Krispy Kreme booth at the diabetes clinic.

Older workers bring valuable knowledge to the job: Sure they bring other things too: incomprehensible jokes, sensible shoes, the last working Walkman in captivity. But according to a study in the Journal of Applied Psychology, they also bring what the investigators call “crystallized knowledge,” which comes from “knowledge born of experience.” So yes, the old folks in your office say corny things like “Show up on time,” “Do an honest day’s work,” and “You know that plan you’ve got to sell billions of dollars worth of unsecured mortgages, bundle them together, chop them all up and sell them to investors? Don’t do that.” But it doesn’t hurt to humor them. They really are adorable sometimes.

Being homeless is bad for your health: Granted, there’s the fresh air, the lean diet, the vigorous exercise (no sitting in front of the TV for you!) But living on the street is not the picnic it seems. Studies like the one in the Journal of Health Psychology show it’s not just the absence of a fixed address that hurts, but the absence of luxuries like, say, walls and a roof. That’s especially true in winter—and spring, summer and fall too, follow-up studies have found. So quit your bragging, homeless people. You’re no healthier than the rest of us.

The more time a person lives under a democracy, the more likely she or he is to support democracy: It’s easy to fall for a charming strong-man—that waggish autocrat who promises you stability, order and no silly distractions like civil liberties and an open press. Soul-crushing annihilation of personal freedoms? Gimme’ some of that, big boy. So it came as a surprise that a study in Science found that when you give people even a single taste of the whole democracy thing, well, it’s like what they say about potato chips, you want to eat the whole bag. But hey, let’s keep this one secret. Nothing like a peevish dictator to mess up a weekend.

Statistical analysis reveals Mexican drug war increased homicide rates: That’s the thing about any war—the homicide part is kind of the whole point. Still, as a paper in The American Statistician showed, it’s always a good idea to crunch the numbers. So let’s run the equation: X – Y = Z, where X is the number of people who walked into the drug war alive, Y is the number who walked out and Z is, you know, the dead guys. Yep, looks like it adds up. (Don’t forget to show your work!)

Middle-aged congenital heart disease survivors may need special care: Sure, but they may not, too. Yes you could always baby them, like the American Heat Association recommends. But you know what they say: A middle-aged congenital heart disease survivor who gets special care is a lazy middle-aged congenital heart disease survivor. Heck, when I was a kid, our middle-aged congenital heart disease survivors worked for their care—and they thanked us for it too. This is not the America I knew.

Scientists Discover a Difference Between the Sexes: Somewhere, in the basement warrens of Northwestern University, dwell the scientists who made this discovery—androgynous beings, reproducing by cellular fission, they toiled in darkness, their light-sensitive eye spots needing only the barest illumination to see. Then one day they emerged blinking into the light, squinted about them and discovered that the surface creatures seemed to come in two distinct varieties. Intrigued, they wandered among them—then went to a kegger and haven’t been seen since. Spring break, man; what are you gonna’ do?

17 hours ago, atoyot said:

Link.

14 hours ago, Point Break said:

If you pay any attention to the pooches you already have noticed this. 

And I have no idea why it’s important enough to confirm with a large observational study. No idea.

No one, not even dogs want to be watched while taking a dump.

Leave the poor mutts alone while the do their ditty.

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

I know... but I do like phucking with ya.. please don't ever take me seriously.. except from when in comes to Bruce Springsteen... he still sucks!  :D

Them's fight'n words you Teutonic turd!   :P

(In keeping of the spirit of the OP.)

25 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Them's fight'n words you Teutonic turd!   :P

(In keeping of the spirit of the OP.)

Bruce Springsteen and shit, let alone dog shit is the same thread..  Very poetic wouldn't you say? :lol:  Maybe the Boss can wordsmith one out

I  went to take a shit and never came back.

Glory days before I started shitting my pants  Glory days blah blah blah...

Rosalita jump a little higher, my pants are full of shit and my ass is on fire..

B)

Oh! and that is du tutonisches Stück Scheiße... vielen Dank!  :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, atoyot said:

Link.

Wondered why the pack of wild dogs that come around to eat cats

All take a shit together while facing the North Star

except for the Australian Shepherd that I figured just liked to watch

20 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:
20 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

No Shit!

Ist thet a breviatione foire 'northe' ?

No.  It's just not shit.

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Bruce Springsteen and shit, let alone dog shit is the same thread..  Very poetic wouldn't you say? :lol:  Maybe the Boss can wordsmith one out

Rosalita jump a little higher, my pants are full of shit and my ass is on fire..

B)

He's halfway through a roll . . .

Sounds more like a Ted Nugent lyric.

Especially if Rosalita is underage.

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds more like a Ted Nugent lyric.

Especially if Rosalita is underage.

Sloop John B was sitting on the Fudge Pot
     Wondering if he should wipe with the Evening Chronical or not
The paper was thin, his paws fell in,
     What a spot that idiots finger's were in..

Sharing my inner Ted  :lol:

Who is this Sloop John B you speak of?

15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Who is this Sloop John B you speak of?

You got nothing huh!

This thread is a load of dung.

Btw, did they ever figure out why a wombat’s shite is square?

On 11/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, Willin' said:

One of the 2020 Ig Nobel winners, in keeping with the shit theme!

ETA... OOOps, then I read Mr. K's next post. Oh Well!

MATERIALS SCIENCE PRIZE [USA, UK]
Metin Eren, Michelle Bebber, James Norris, Alyssa Perrone, Ashley Rutkoski, Michael Wilson, and Mary Ann Raghanti, for showing that knives manufactured from frozen human feces do not work well.

But, nonetheless, Mary Ann Raghanti is HOT!

27 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Mary Ann Raghanti

34 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

But, nonetheless, Mary Ann Raghanti is HOT!

Worthy of further research, definitely. Deep research.

1*Z6K47Uo6hVNyqVQUdPTq5A.thumb.jpg.45ef3dbd39e1f136f973c3d7dbd8d125.jpg

Raghanti-hair.jpg.695058da238f36e4b4462cb4e24515f3.jpg

22 minutes ago, atoyot said:

Worthy of further research, definitely. Deep research.

1*Z6K47Uo6hVNyqVQUdPTq5A.thumb.jpg.45ef3dbd39e1f136f973c3d7dbd8d125.jpg

Raghanti-hair.jpg.695058da238f36e4b4462cb4e24515f3.jpg

I had no idea, actually.   And her necklace is a carbon ring with a peptide hooked on?

Now, what about Ashley Rutkowski?  

9 hours ago, nacradriver said:

B)

For a guy that claims to hate Springsteen you seem to be pretty familiar with his music.  Hungry Heart, Glory Days, and Rosalita.  Uh huh.

I think you are really a fan of his and you do this shtick just to annoy me. 

Ich habe deine Nummer nacra fahrer!  Scheiße Kopf.

2 hours ago, atoyot said:

Next up - why is wombat shit square?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46258616

Quick, somebody tell Whyda- galley there's some free bio boatbuilding material in Oz!

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

For a guy that claims to hate Springsteen you seem to be pretty familiar with his music.  Hungry Heart, Glory Days, and Rosalita.  Uh huh.

I think you are really a fan of his and you do this shtick just to annoy me. 

Ich habe deine Nummer nacra fahrer!  Scheiße Kopf.

Amazing what Google can help you with, like your (staying on topic) shitty translation..... 

Nacra Fahrer du scheiß Kopf,  Ihre Nummer ich habe!!!

Ein tritt Der Kaffee Ahhh  Geh’ kacken!

49 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Amazing what Google can help you with, like your (staying on topic) shitty translation..... 

Nacra Fahrer du scheiß Kopf,  Ihre Nummer ich habe!!!

Ein tritt Der Kaffee Ahhh  Geh’ kacken!

How about fück öff!   :P  You give new meaning to the term 'Grammar Nazi'.

I lived in Germany for almost 12 years and I've spent the last 12 years on the other side of the river from Germany.  So many Germans, particularly in the former West Germany speak English that I never became even close to fluent in it.  All I have to do is start a conversation in my broken German and they respond, "It's OK, I speak English."  It saves us both a lot of pain. :lol:

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

How about fück öff!   :P 

I am far from fluent... or at least with a Berlin flare...  But I leaned enough to survive outside of the cities and get laid.

And, actually that would be Fick dich!!  :)

Let me guess, you would go into a bar, meet a geiles Luder and she would say ich will dich ficken  and you shrug your shoulders because you have no clue and then she says Ficken Rossette and you smile and, in your gutter slum trying to sound like Bruce Stinksteen Erie accent, you say thank you.

Zieh Leine! :)

:lol:

OAN... Wine collection is getting low, any recommendations for a Burgundy or a Bordeaux?

11 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

recommendations for a Burgundy or a Bordeaux?

Premier grand cru. What else?

OAN... Wine collection is getting low, any recommendations for a Burgundy or a Bordeaux?

If you are serious about it, buy the best one you can afford.  Up to a point, around $100.00, you get what you pay for with wine.  Bordeaux is powerful, in your face, tannic and not for wimps.  Burgundy is more delicate and ephemeral, and slowly reveals it's restrained power, but powerful it is.  Either one should be at least 10 years old to be worth drinking.  Very good bottles of either should be at least 20 years old.  Of course you can buy younger ones, but they just won't be terribly good without some age on them. 

As you are in the US, you might get a better bang for your buck with California Cabernet or Meritage blends which are the US version of Bordeaux blends.  I have heard, but have no experience with them, that Washington State produces some very nice Pinot Noir, which is what Burgundy is made from.  European wines imported to the US get marked up a bit for shipping costs and import taxes.  

Unless you really know your wine, spending more than $100.00 a bottle is really just throwing your money away.  Unfortunately, I couldn't in good faith recommend buying any Bordeaux or Burgundy (or the US equivalent) for under $40-$60 a bottle.  It just isn't worth it.  

If you want a great tasting wine at a really good price, take a look at Rioja Riserva or Gran Riserva from Spain.  A really good one might set you back $40.00 a bottle and the $15-$25 a bottle ones are quite nice as well.  They grow a shit ton of wine in Spain, so the low price is a supply and demand thing.  They just make to much good, drinkable wine there.  I highly recommend La Rioja Alta, they make a few different ones, they are excellent and fall in the $30-$45 price range and drink like they cost twice as much.  Our daily drinker at my house is $5-$10 Rioja.  In my experience, Rioja is the only wine that even all but the cheapest ones are quite good.  There's no such thing as a good, cheap Bordeaux or Burgundy.  Not even Gallo Hearty Burgundy, if they still make it.  :lol:

17 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

If you are serious about it, buy the best one you can afford.  Up to a point, around $100.00, you get what you pay for with wine.  Bordeaux is powerful, in your face, tannic and not for wimps.  Burgundy is more delicate and ephemeral, and slowly reveals it's restrained power, but powerful it is.  Either one should be at least 10 years old to be worth drinking.  Very good bottles of either should be at least 20 years old.  Of course you can buy younger ones, but they just won't be terribly good without some age on them. 

As you are in the US, you might get a better bang for your buck with California Cabernet or Meritage blends which are the US version of Bordeaux blends.  I have heard, but have no experience with them, that Washington State produces some very nice Pinot Noir, which is what Burgundy is made from.  European wines imported to the US get marked up a bit for shipping costs and import taxes.  

Unless you really know your wine, spending more than $100.00 a bottle is really just throwing your money away.  Unfortunately, I couldn't in good faith recommend buying any Bordeaux or Burgundy (or the US equivalent) for under $40-$60 a bottle.  It just isn't worth it.  

If you want a great tasting wine at a really good price, take a look at Rioja Riserva or Gran Riserva from Spain.  A really good one might set you back $40.00 a bottle and the $15-$25 a bottle ones are quite nice as well.  They grow a shit ton of wine in Spain, so the low price is a supply and demand thing.  They just make to much good, drinkable wine there.  I highly recommend La Rioja Alta, they make a few different ones, they are excellent and fall in the $30-$45 price range and drink like they cost twice as much.  Our daily drinker at my house is $5-$10 Rioja.  In my experience, Rioja is the only wine that even all but the cheapest ones are quite good.  There's no such thing as a good, cheap Bordeaux or Burgundy.  Not even Gallo Hearty Burgundy, if they still make it.  :lol:

I am just south of the Santa Barbara region (Movie Sideways) which IMPO is eclipsing the Napa region long before they had the fires.  We make a tasting run through there twice a year, and last year we did the same in South Africa... but only once - that is one killer flight.

We like to mix it up with some imports too..  we don't do cheap on wine  life is too short.

Tausend Dank!

20 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Tausend Dank!

Bitte schoen.

I could go on and on about wine, and I have a fair amount of experience with it and the good fortune to drink some incredibly iconic wines.  

PM me if you have some specific questions and I'll try to answer them.  

24 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

that is one killer flight.

Well get your ass to Europe when the travel restrictions are lifted.  Berlin is only an hour away and you can fly in to the 9 year delayed and a few billion over budget new Berlin Brandenburg airport.  You know, that excellent German engineering and craftsmanship.  But I digress. 

I can arrange a night of wine tasting that you would long remember.  If you like 30, 40, 50 year old first growth Bordeaux that is.  But you know, some people don't have an appreciation for the tertiary flavors in very old wines that many of us find so fascinating.  I hope you aren't one of those people are you?  We get together at a friend's restaurant that is in an old mill form the 16th century.  It features all wild game and local fish.  Our friend closes the place for the night and we eat well and enjoy some very good wine.  There are worse ways to spend an evening.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, nacradriver said:

The same phuckwitz that funded these.  And now there is software that will help you write the proposal for PhD Welfare grant to get the money to fund the study

That's some excellent research there, but it can't keep up with the best of science.

Storks Deliver Babies (p= 0.008)

The OP has been debunked long ago. An urban myth, or suburban myth, if you will.

The fact is, scientists learn a lot about animals by dissecting their feces. Ask Farley Mowat next time you see him. He had a chapter in "Never Cry Wolf" about the diet of the wolves he was living amongst, by dissecting their feces.... Turns out mice, and shrews were a large portion of their diet at certain times of year.

7 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

That's some excellent research there, but it can't keep up with the best of science.

Storks Deliver Babies (p= 0.008)

Anderson Valley, in Mendocino, Ca. has some superb reds. My favorite zin (red, not pink!) was from Deloach, but I hear they got pretty badly torched. My  regular Pinot Noir is from Benton Lane vineyards in (I think) Washington... Haven't heard whether they were affected by fires etc, this year. All in all, I can say that 1997 was a very good year out west.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I gotta gette theire...........              :)

You should!  Don't worry Snaggs.  No photos and I won't tell anyone here who you are.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 1:17 AM, SloopJonB said:
On 11/17/2020 at 5:30 PM, astro said:

Coriolis force.

Nuh, took a beer and the dog out this afternoon.  It had a shit facing west.

Theory fucked on a sample of two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, astro said:

Nuh, took a beer and the dog out this afternoon.  It had a shit facing west.

Theory fucked on a sample of two.

I watched one of my dogs yesterday out of curiosity.  To my disappointment he too faced west as he dropped his load..

31 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Some hard core deniers of settle science here. Shameful. Greta is going be calling you out soon. 

I'm just going with the flow.  Nowadays, my anecdotal evidence is just as good as your science.  

6 minutes ago, mathystuff said:
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

What's your point? 

How do americans even get ahold of babies? No storks over there, right?

we halve woode storkes........                      :)

65616681-1280px.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, nacradriver said:

Study shows beneficial effect of electric fans in extreme heat and humidity: You know that space heater you’ve been firing up every time the temperature climbs above 90º in August? Turns out you’ve been going about it all wrong. If you don’t have air conditioning, it seems that “fans” (which move “air” with the help of a cunning arrangement of rotating “blades”) can actually make you feel cooler. That, at least, was the news from a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) last February. Still to come: “Why Snow-Blower Use Declines in July.”

Study shows benefit of higher quality screening colonoscopies: Don’t you just hate those low-quality colonoscopies? You know, the ones when the doctor looks at your ears, checks your throat and pronounces, “That’s one fine colon you’ve got there, friend”? Now there’s a better way to go about things, according to JAMA, and that’s to be sure to have timely, high quality screenings instead. That may be bad news for “Colon Bob, Your $5 Colonoscopy Man,” but it’s good news for the rest of us.

Holding on to the blues: Depressed individuals may fail to decrease sadness: This one apparently came as news to the folks at the Association for Psychological Science and they’ve got the body of work to stand behind their findings. They’re surely the same scientists who discovered that short people often fail to increase inches, grouchy people don’t have enough niceness and folks who wear dentures have done a terrible job of hanging onto their teeth. The depression findings in particular are good news, pointing to exciting new treatments based on the venerable “Turn that frown upside down” method.

Quitting smoking after heart attack reduces chest pain, improves quality of life: Looks like you can say goodbye to those friendly intensive care units that used hand out packs of Luckies to post-op patients hankering for a smoke. Don’t blame the hospitals though, blame those buzz-kills folks at the American Heart Association who are responsible for this no-fun finding. Next in the nanny-state crosshairs: the Krispy Kreme booth at the diabetes clinic.

Older workers bring valuable knowledge to the job: Sure they bring other things too: incomprehensible jokes, sensible shoes, the last working Walkman in captivity. But according to a study in the Journal of Applied Psychology, they also bring what the investigators call “crystallized knowledge,” which comes from “knowledge born of experience.” So yes, the old folks in your office say corny things like “Show up on time,” “Do an honest day’s work,” and “You know that plan you’ve got to sell billions of dollars worth of unsecured mortgages, bundle them together, chop them all up and sell them to investors? Don’t do that.” But it doesn’t hurt to humor them. They really are adorable sometimes.

Being homeless is bad for your health: Granted, there’s the fresh air, the lean diet, the vigorous exercise (no sitting in front of the TV for you!) But living on the street is not the picnic it seems. Studies like the one in the Journal of Health Psychology show it’s not just the absence of a fixed address that hurts, but the absence of luxuries like, say, walls and a roof. That’s especially true in winter—and spring, summer and fall too, follow-up studies have found. So quit your bragging, homeless people. You’re no healthier than the rest of us.

The more time a person lives under a democracy, the more likely she or he is to support democracy: It’s easy to fall for a charming strong-man—that waggish autocrat who promises you stability, order and no silly distractions like civil liberties and an open press. Soul-crushing annihilation of personal freedoms? Gimme’ some of that, big boy. So it came as a surprise that a study in Science found that when you give people even a single taste of the whole democracy thing, well, it’s like what they say about potato chips, you want to eat the whole bag. But hey, let’s keep this one secret. Nothing like a peevish dictator to mess up a weekend.

Statistical analysis reveals Mexican drug war increased homicide rates: That’s the thing about any war—the homicide part is kind of the whole point. Still, as a paper in The American Statistician showed, it’s always a good idea to crunch the numbers. So let’s run the equation: X – Y = Z, where X is the number of people who walked into the drug war alive, Y is the number who walked out and Z is, you know, the dead guys. Yep, looks like it adds up. (Don’t forget to show your work!)

Middle-aged congenital heart disease survivors may need special care: Sure, but they may not, too. Yes you could always baby them, like the American Heat Association recommends. But you know what they say: A middle-aged congenital heart disease survivor who gets special care is a lazy middle-aged congenital heart disease survivor. Heck, when I was a kid, our middle-aged congenital heart disease survivors worked for their care—and they thanked us for it too. This is not the America I knew.

Scientists Discover a Difference Between the Sexes: Somewhere, in the basement warrens of Northwestern University, dwell the scientists who made this discovery—androgynous beings, reproducing by cellular fission, they toiled in darkness, their light-sensitive eye spots needing only the barest illumination to see. Then one day they emerged blinking into the light, squinted about them and discovered that the surface creatures seemed to come in two distinct varieties. Intrigued, they wandered among them—then went to a kegger and haven’t been seen since. Spring break, man; what are you gonna’ do?

yeah, they seem really absurd until some dolt says "MaSkS dOn'T wOrK!", and then someone has to prove that they do.

9 hours ago, mathystuff said:

How do americans even get ahold of babies? No storks over there, right?

holes in the fence/wall

20 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Anderson Valley, in Mendocino, Ca. has some superb reds. My favorite zin (red, not pink!) was from Deloach, but I hear they got pretty badly torched. My  regular Pinot Noir is from Benton Lane vineyards in (I think) Washington... Haven't heard whether they were affected by fires etc, this year. All in all, I can say that 1997 was a very good year out west.

Thanks for the recommendations.  We'll try them out..  1997 must have been a dry year...  roots get deeper, viners are stressed and have smaller grapes but with more sugar, and the grapes get ripper which makes for a better wine especially the old vine Zinfandels.  If you can get your hands on some Cline Ancient Vine 2014.....  very tasty for a moderate priced wine.

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

holes in the fence/wall

Now now Woodrow... don't forget the tunnels and boats..

8 minutes ago, nacradriver said:
2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

holes in the fence/wall

Now now Woodrow... don't forget the tunnels and boats..

he wase speakeng frome fist hande experience..........                  :)

This has all been very interesting but I took my dog for a 1 hour walk this morning and while doing her first shit she faced due west, second shit she faced north east and third shit she faced east. My conclusions. 

1. the researchers are full of shit.

2. My dog was full of shit but after an hour she was all good.

3. Next time I’m buying a smaller dog.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2020 at 3:08 AM, Ed Lada said:

I watched one of my dogs yesterday out of curiosity.  To my disappointment he too faced west as he dropped his load..

Something is wrong. Be sure to mention this on the next trip to your vet.  

Related issue: Herring farts> https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/for-15-years-sweden-thought-enemy-submarines-were-invading-its-territory-it-turned-out-to-be-herring-farts/

On 11/19/2020 at 8:08 AM, Ed Lada said:

this is due to the poles' shifting (pun intended...)

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 12:39 PM, SCARECROW said:

This has all been very interesting but I took my dog for a 1 hour walk this morning and while doing her first shit she faced due west, second shit she faced north east and third shit she faced east. My conclusions. 

1. the researchers are full of shit.

2. My dog was full of shit but after an hour she was all good.

3. Next time I’m buying a smaller dog.

Is your dog a boxer?