Sign in to follow this  
Not for nothing

craigslist , scam or not?

So 'm looking for a good price tri, corsair 24,27,28.......... and I come across a criaglist a 31 for 20,000 $ , in Miami so after a couple email back and forth 
I get this email, ok I'll drive to Miami and look at it, So then I get the second email, The boats in Iowa, at a shipping company? First why would take a boat out of a prime boating area and send it to the middle of the country? and also list the boat 25% of it's value?

Good morning , I'm , glad to see you are interested in my boat. It has a 2016 Honda 9.9 hp 4 stroke outboard with electric start, VHF Radio, Raymarine T104, Raymarine T221, Raymarine T909, New 2017 Garmin 547 Chartplotter 2016, Simrad TP 20 auto-pilot, Standard Horizon Eclipse VHF radio, Kenwood AM/FM receiver with CD player and waterproof marine speakers, Unisolar smart charge solar charging system and much more.
The boat is in excellent condition inside and out,no mechanical issues. The title is clear. The price is $20,000. I know the price is a bit way under market's value, I have tried to sell it at a higher price but we are in a bit of a rush since my husband got a new job and signed a contract for 3 years in Edmonton, Canada. He is already there and I will leave in a week. We don't have the conditions to keep it there and we've decided to pay a down payment for a house there. If you have any other questions, or need more info, please feel free to ask. Thank you
follow up email>
Hello , As I told you in my first email, I will leave in a week to Edmonton, where my husband got a new job. Because of the short time that I have left and so many things to deal with concerning our departure I have signed a contract with a shipping company to take care of the selling on my behalf.
The boat is already at the shipping company in Milford, IA and is ready for the shipping. The deal includes free delivery within 1000 miles!! After 1000 miles a fee of $1.25 per mile will be charged and it will arrive at your address in 7-9 days, depending on the exact location.
You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense.
If you're interested in knowing more info about how it works, you can reply with your whole name, full delivery address and phone # so I can notify the shipping company, and they will contact you with all the details, with no obligation to buy it. Also, they will attach the contract between me and the shipping company which guarantees delivery.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

so any thoughts?

Total scam.  Well known style agreed.

1) Who has a shipping company sell your boat?

59 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense

2) Total BS. Read the wording. "to try out prior to making any purchase..." 

You've already sent the money. You never will see the boat.

Almost certainly a scam.   If you want to prove it, ask the seller for the name and address of the shipping company.   Let her know the great news that your cousin lives just over an hour from Milford and is willing to drive over to inspect the boat for you in the next day or so.  I'd bet that you never hear from her again.  Or if you do, the boat 'can not be inspected' due to COVID or that it's in a 'bonded warehouse' or some other nonsense.   

• Like 1

Its 100% a scam.  Can't believe folks fall for this stuff.  In this instance the previous and new (legitimate and legal) owner of that exact boat had a thread up about this in the f-boats forum.

If it seems too good to be true... it is!!

Thanks to all, PASSED, nice dream for a couple days, which could have turned into a night mare 

I actually found the real owner of this scam F31 from a documentation number in one of the photos. Guy was pretty surprised that I had tracked the boat to him. Total scam and the scammer had gotten the photos from a web page the real owner had set up.

• Like 2