Sign in to follow this  
Pearl Necklace

Martin 242 - "Fast Lane Fever"

We are so excited to share that we just purchased a new to us 1983 Martin 242 to keep at our local yacht club, while "the necklace" resides in the 1000 Islands almost full time now.  We had done a ton of looking around at everything from a J22 (lots in USA but tough to get into Canada right now), to a J80 (prices still a bit high for us), to a Henderson 30 or a Farr 30 so we could still distance race (too much work for what we want right now).

Anyways, we found "Fast Lane Fever" in Toronto late last week, and in the space of 48 hours, had the deal done, boat emptied out, trailer serviced ( it hadn't moved in 7 years), and towed it home to our warehouse for some much needed fluff and buff and TLC over the winter.  I can't believe I hadn't looked for one of these before it popped up on my radar.

It is EVERYTHING we want and need for a Monday to Thursday little speedster, some Wednesday night beer can racing, and for a good platform for our two 15 year old boys to get out on "their own" keelboat and learn the ropes.  Clean cabin with zero systems, new cushions, good gear and fair to very good sails!  Its' a wonderful little vessel, and we are very much looking forward to getting her in the water.

Finally, I wanted to give a big shout out to the Martin 242 Class Association, in particular Michael Clements of Vancouver BC.  I have been involved in a number of one design fleets throughout my life, but I have never been made to feel so welcome, so quickly, in my life; and this is from a fleet based 3/4 of the way across the country.  Thank you M242 Fleet!!!!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

A couple 15 year old boys should have a good time with a boat named Pear Necklace 

I doubt they know what is.Yeah right

Heard of them,  never saw or sailed one - none made it to the Sandwich Islands.  Our Canoodian contribution here being a Hotfoot20 and 27.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, Pearl Necklace said:

Boat name is  "Fast Lane Fever". OP's handle is Pearl Necklace. Before you name a boat Pearl Necklace you should consider just naming it Cum Bucket. Take the guessing out of play. 

Regret for the thread drift..... Ugggh

Our big boat has been called Pearl, since 1974.

My SA handle has been Pearl Necklace, since 2004......

New boat is Fast Lane Fever.....that’s all

Cheers

• Like 1

Just bought a Melges 24 out of the Vancouver fleet, second Melges to come here. Point is, I understand that they have dry-sail storage issues there so they are transitioning to Martin 242s.  They have quite the fleet of them there. 

I just bought this fo the same reason. Replacing the keel, rudder, sails, all lines and deck hardware and re-engineering the interior with carbon. And yea, those are my plans on the front page with the bag of weed.

BD4889EA-526A-455C-9E7E-2A69217DAF66.jpeg

• Like 4

Martin 242 is a great boat. We had the North Americans on Orcas Island in 2019. Great fleet, good people, able, quick boats.

"Martins Win the Party!"

Editor got it so right that this is the kind of exitement sailing needs. Low buck big fun. 

• Like 2

It's a Decision 7.5 build here in Spain. Great hull shape, the rest is crap.

inbound537557672910380339.jpg

2 hours ago, Bedford said:

It's a Decision 7.5 build here in Spain. Great hull shape, the rest is crap.

inbound537557672910380339.jpg

Nice bulb.  Having cast one myself.

Don't get too upset with the original builders,  costs might have made decisions they'd rather not have made.

But the point - that you can have/get/find a good hull and gradually replace the Everything isn't a bad one - and it points out the fallacy of novel/'cheap' hull materials (looking at you, Ferrocement, and Polyester)

Good luck ono your build,  looks like you have the right attitude.  Stay in touch. 

3 hours ago, Bedford said:

Taking the cast iron keel off.

Good thing you are swapping the bulb.

That old bulb is one of the worst I've seen.  The new one you have cast looks great though.  Very good shape to it.

I can’t wait until the ripping out stops and the putting back starts.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:53 PM, ROADKILL666 said:

I doubt they know what is.Yeah right

I would be rendered speachless if I discovered any 15yo that didn't know the meaning. You may be a little out of touch w youth these days.  

On 11/19/2020 at 8:23 PM, WCB said:

Just bought a Melges 24 out of the Vancouver fleet, second Melges to come here. Point is, I understand that they have dry-sail storage issues there so they are transitioning to Martin 242s.  They have quite the fleet of them there. 

No transitioning... the 242's have been the fleet since they started building them... except for MDR in LA, many of them are within 15 miles of where they were built - awesome light air giant killer

• Like 1

16 hours ago, granvilleisland said:

No transitioning... the 242's have been the fleet since they started building them... except for MDR in LA, many of them are within 15 miles of where they were built - awesome light air giant killer

Interesting...well it seems like a strong fleet up there for all the right reasons. 

which Melges did you buy? There are two for sale at WVYC, but they don't have dry sail issues at that club. Nine on the hard currently. The ones at RVYC are kept in the water on hydra lifts. Did you buy Trigg's boat at WVYC? The number escapes me. It is a decent boat and a great price. sailed it a few months ago.

I was just cleaning up my home office today and I found this in the wayback file. Might be useful for a new 242 owner ...

Martin_242_Tuning.pdf

Fond memory of Alan R busting ass to get his 241 Freeze Frame back in the slip and the BBQ lit before the new 242 got in. Ultimate smack down 

59 minutes ago, Bedford said:

IMG-20201122-WA0007.jpeg

While it looks like a sweet boat, I suggest you start your own thread on the Decision 7.5 rather than hijacking this one.

3 hours ago, krikkitman said:

I was just cleaning up my home office today and I found this in the wayback file. Might be useful for a new 242 owner ...

Martin_242_Tuning.pdf

Keep in mind the tuning guide is for 242s with OD sails.  With PHRF sails, it could be a different story.  The OD sails were designed with economy in mind and aren't the nicest looking sails IMO.  But they work.

With the OD sails, my vague recollection about the main was in most breeze, no backstay and sheet the main in hard then dial in a few more clicks.

Edit:  Rainman, is that the old Treachery advertised for sale on FB?  Externally looks to be in quite good shape.  Sail inventory sounds pretty good.  $8k seems like a nice price for it.  For locals I mean.  If you don't have a local OD fleet of them, then it probably seems like an outrageous price for an early 80s 24 footer.

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

Keep in mind the tuning guide is for 242s with OD sails.  With PHRF sails, it could be a different story.  The OD sails were designed with economy in mind and aren't the nicest looking sails IMO.  But they work.

With the OD sails, my vague recollection about the main was in most breeze, no backstay and sheet the main in hard then dial in a few more clicks.

Edit:  Rainman, is that the old Treachery advertised for sale on FB?  Externally looks to be in quite good shape.  Sail inventory sounds pretty good.  $8k seems like a nice price for it.  For locals I mean.  If you don't have a local OD fleet of them, then it probably seems like an outrageous price for an early 80s 24 footer.

I think 242's allow laminate sails for OD now, don't they?  Their website seems to be down so I can't check.  My recollection on main trim was pull it in so the top telltale stops flicking, then let it out until the top telltale flicks occasionally.  

I think it is the old Treachery.  The ad says it needs some work on the keel to be OD legal.  Hmmmmm.  

6 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I think 242's allow laminate sails for OD now, don't they?  Their website seems to be down so I can't check.  My recollection on main trim was pull it in so the top telltale stops flicking, then let it out until the top telltale flicks occasionally.  

I think it is the old Treachery.  The ad says it needs some work on the keel to be OD legal.  Hmmmmm.  

It's been at least 25 years since I stepped foot on one.  So maybe they allow laminate sails now, IDK.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:04 AM, Bedford said:

I just bought this fo the same reason. Replacing the keel, rudder, sails, all lines and deck hardware and re-engineering the interior with carbon. And yea, those are my plans on the front page with the bag of weed.

BD4889EA-526A-455C-9E7E-2A69217DAF66.jpeg

Looks like a Platu 

On 11/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, Oxygen Thief said:

which Melges did you buy? There are two for sale at WVYC, but they don't have dry sail issues at that club. Nine on the hard currently. The ones at RVYC are kept in the water on hydra lifts. Did you buy Trigg's boat at WVYC? The number escapes me. It is a decent boat and a great price. sailed it a few months ago.

I picked up #330.  I got back late on Saturday after a cannonball run.  28 hours of driving, two hours of sleep, 2000 miles total.  I talked to Trigg and considered that boat.  We've sparked a Melges 24 fleet here so now I may be sending somebody back his way for his boat. 

2 hours ago, WCB said:

I picked up #330.  I got back late on Saturday after a cannonball run.  28 hours of driving, two hours of sleep, 2000 miles total.  I talked to Trigg and considered that boat.  We've sparked a Melges 24 fleet here so now I may be sending somebody back his way for his boat. 

Don't recognise that # and I am active in the local fleet. Sure you didn't buy a boat from Kelowna? How did you manage to sneak across the border? I thought it was closed.

15 minutes ago, Oxygen Thief said:

Don't recognise that # and I am active in the local fleet. Sure you didn't buy a boat from Kelowna? How did you manage to sneak across the border? I thought it was closed.

I don't want to hijack this thread.  Not sure which fleet it actually came from. It was listed as Vancouver but that may have been a generalization.  A yacht broker with dual citizenship brought it over for me and he asked me to hire a customs broker.  Both combined were cheaper than going through UShip with no customs broker involved so this was a great help.

Hey I looked at some of those Melges out west too, but didn't really want to do a Cannonball Run sort of road trip in the midst of COVID.  In late May I almost went to Blackstrap Lake in Saskatchewan to grab a J22 as well, but didn't for the same reason.  In July.....a J22 in Olcott NY came across my radar too, but it sold to.......Sail Park City!  Small world.

Patience paid off - it was nice to find this little gem only 25 km from home.

Enjoy the Melges!

On 11/24/2020 at 7:45 AM, Pearl Necklace said:

Hey I looked at some of those Melges out west too, but didn't really want to do a Cannonball Run sort of road trip in the midst of COVID.  In late May I almost went to Blackstrap Lake in Saskatchewan to grab a J22 as well, but didn't for the same reason.  In July.....a J22 in Olcott NY came across my radar too, but it sold to.......Sail Park City!  Small world.

Patience paid off - it was nice to find this little gem only 25 km from home.

Enjoy the Melges!

Much more fun when you find a good boat close to home. We don't often have that luxury as Utah isn't the hotbed of sailing so we have learned to travel far and wide for boats.  I'm digging my new toy.  I've been shopping for upgrades for it.  

We picked up a J22 from New Jersey this Fall too.  I had it moved by UShip to Annapolis where our Board President was for the double-handed regatta and happily he was able to bring it back to Park City.  We work like this a lot.  

Ah yes...that J22 from upstate NY?  We bought that a year ago but the seller never took down the ad.  We had that one brought out by Uship the whole way.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:59 AM, WCB said:

what were you driving?

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

what were you driving?

A Suburban