Sign in to follow this  
JimBowie

Charter a Melges 15...why the hell not?

https://www.melges15.com/2021-winter-series

We'll have 3 boats from New Jersey at the 1st event in January.   There should be a few more making the trip for the mid winters in march.  If you have questions about the boats we have been having fun with them since taking delivery in July.  

Fretz

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Does it say where? That makes a difference

FB- Doug

The Melges 15 Winter Series is taking place in Sarasota, FL January 9-10, February 27-28, and March 26-28. You can charter a boat for one or all three events. More info: https://bit.ly/3e17Rcj

• Like 1

3 are at our club, either on loan or chartered to showcase the boat. 

They seem fun and fast and a couple of the older guys gone out, but it is relegated to the teen crowd presently. 

17 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

3 are at our club, either on loan or chartered to showcase the boat. 

They seem fun and fast and a couple of the older guys gone out, but it is relegated to the teen crowd presently. 

One is mine.  If you want to give it a go please let me know.  Lots of "old" guys sailed them this year.  

I will! They look like a hell of a ride and my nephew Ben was out there last week planing away..you’ll know me when you see me. Long hair, pickup truck...me and my Twinbro could see how it performs!

Oh,yeah, my Twinbro tied your boats down and to my Fareast28R during that blow last week;) 

Had to draw over another boat...

863C66BA-C365-4870-BB29-CBF81E0F1776.jpeg

• Like 1

Very curious about this boat as a possibility to replace our club fleet of JY-15s. On paper, it looks like a winner, but I haven't sailed one yet so I'm very  interested in finding out more.

Seems to be a reasonably fast planing double-handed dinghy without being so advanced you need to be an acrobat to keep it upright.  Lots of beginners at our club, so we need something that's fairly beginner friendly and also durable.  We're thinking about Wayfarers, but I'd prefer to see something with a bit more responsiveness.  Not sure if this is the one. If you've got comments, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, MrSwordfish said:

Very curious about this boat as a possibility to replace our club fleet of JY-15s. On paper, it looks like a winner, but I haven't sailed one yet so I'm very  interested in finding out more.

Seems to be a reasonably fast planing double-handed dinghy without being so advanced you need to be an acrobat to keep it upright.  Lots of beginners at our club, so we need something that's fairly beginner friendly and also durable.  We're thinking about Wayfarers, but I'd prefer to see something with a bit more responsiveness.  Not sure if this is the one. If you've got comments, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

We have 12 in NJ and the age range is from late 20's to late 60's.  It works well for more sr folks as its broad and stable around the dock.  The kids like it as its fast with the chute up.  The older folks like it as its fast with the chute up too.  Upwind it rewards hiking but you don't have to be young and spry to get it up to the windward mark either.  

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I will! They look like a hell of a ride and my nephew Ben was out there last week planing away..you’ll know me when you see me. Long hair, pickup truck...me and my Twinbro could see how it performs!

probably there for 2 more weeks.  Clay and Jeff have been looking after them and getting the kids out.  Plenty of time for old salts too.

If Clay can put up with me I’ll do it

He’s a top echelon man

14 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

A whopping $1000 per 2-day event.

Round trip flights from Philly to Tampa are under $100 and towing 1100 miles would cost 250-350 in fuel tolls etc one way.  If I was only doing one event $1000 isn't unreasonable considering it will be rigged and ready when you arrive.

Were stacking 3 in a box trailer and shipping it down for the full series which is fairly cost effective.  There is a spot for one more boat on the roof if you purchase your charter boat and are going my way home...

16 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

A whopping $1000 per 2-day event.

I was hoping for  a Portsmouth number. 

Actually, a serious question.

Assuming they're still allowed here.