Black Jack

LA 28 and other 8 meters with style

Those are gorgeous! I would love a boat like that, who cares whether it is the fastest or not, style does count!

Well, here is an 8 m with style

04Porttackstbdqtr1.jpg

But I know, it's not what you meant.

Bit unfair to pick the most gorgeous, interesting, stylish sailboat in that category and expect others to top that ;).  

We could try with the Saffier SC 8m. I think it would be a good step up from the classic H-Boat, which has to be a contender itself here. The Saffier seems to be a bit more seaworthy, I wouldn't mind taking her across the Channel with some preparation, the right equipment and a dodger.

gebrauchte%20Saffier%20SC%208m%20Cabin%2

Or the Biga 242, she is gorgeous. Even more seaworthy, quick, trailerable. Also a German designer, Juliane Hempel. Hull is glass, cabin is wood.

biga_242_Bild1.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah. I am one of the kooks who believe in visualizations manifests reality.

Those Saffiers are fine vessels too.  I would love to sail one of those in the baltic and across the channel.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Matagi said:

gebrauchte%20Saffier%20SC%208m%20Cabin%2

I seem to remember there used to be (and maybe still is) one of those moored near the gangway at seaport marina in Ijmuiden, black sails, black covers etc.
Looked cool as shit.

Flax 27, made from hemp fibre and cork. That is one cool boat  8.20m in length.

Flax-27-Retro-Daysailer.jpg

IMG_6497-copy-1900x973.jpg

Here is another shot of that little Saffier. I've never seen that pic before, it's stunning. I don't know of many supposed daysailers that you can put through this with confidence.

I think I would go for this one. Only, I have a Waarschip 725 and though it's a bit smaller overall, I don't see much that my lil' one couldn't do just as good for 1/20 of the price :).

20191016_104219.thumb.jpg.256eb53c40d4edeca414812342ee9c03.jpg

• Like 3

Nice find. I knew the 'old' Rosso before, but this one tops it. Chantier des Ileaux is doing some very nice boats that fit well here, the Vert d'O for example.

And then there is also the whole Tofinou line, here with the Tofinou 8  (I'm not a fan of this artifical compartment in the back, I would much prefer having one cockpit and no separation).

image-T8-1.jpg

I  find the Tofino Alphena One a rather compelling option. That said, if I were ever in the market for a daysailer the Chantier Des Ileaux Troll 26 would be a pretty compelling option as well. Unfortunately I live in earthquake country, so the sailboat will have to serve dual duty as the emergency fallback position if my house is somehow rendered uninhabitable, so it's gotta have at least basic facilities. Still fun to fantasize about though. 

image-ALPHENA-ONE-3.jpg

DOC-Troll26-int.jpg

• Like 1

My Family used to own an Alphena One, aside from the nice looks it was a complete nightmare!

- turned out 300Kg heavier than advertised, the weight in the specifications was later changed from 1.6T to 1.8T 

- the rig dimensions seemed to have nothing in common with the original sail plan was discovered when we designed a 3dl Genoa since the boat doesn't really move with the self tacking jib

- rudder balance was a joke (The boat yawed to weather in the lightest of gusts) it was also almost impossible to sail it with only main or only the jib 

-  build quality overal was bad

- instruments package as ordered didn't work 

When we then wanted to have things fixed the yard went bankrupt, in the end we were able to sell it to someone who was ready to spent the money on fixing it because he liked the looks of it.

I don't know if they have managed to fix things when Latitude46/Tofinou took over but we were glad to get out of it.

Anyone remember the Biehl 8.8?

Biehl%208.8%20Daysailer%20(6)-0c4736c5.j

• Like 4

C8ECC228-B8A1-4A47-851A-41614DA9C828.jpegOld school, but Doomernick is building new ones like this (they call them the Dragon classic daysailer or something) without all the racing clutter- & with an assym, IIRR

Edit- they call them ‘vintage daysailers’

http://www.doomernik.nl/vintage-day-sailor

John designed and built a pretty solid raceboat that he could muscle around, but time is the enemy of us all and finesse is a fine art,..now...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, huey 2 said:

John designed and built a pretty solid raceboat that he could muscle around, but time is the enemy of us all and finesse is a fine art,..now...

EFBED4F5-712C-4ED1-9D26-4587B491AD72.jpeg

11 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Yhst looks familisr. Woodenbost some years back?

Yup.  Gil Smith article, I think.  I hope the skipper is falling off and not trying to go in a straight line....:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Thats ehst a beetle cst tiller looks like if you dont scoot fwd abd hikr

If only beetle cats came with a tiller extension, but an old timer showed me how to use a belt on the end of the tiller, and move fore and aft until there was a sustained gentle tug from the rudder.  He also liked a really flat sail, and damn could he go upwind. I really don’t understand why a traditional catboat hull, if made light enough, wouldn’t plane.  One of the east coat yards is making a new cat design that planes, but the aesthetics above water are more towards a weird Kite, and at least to my eye doesn’t look quite right.  (Aero does it better?, but it is small, and would probably be labeled a sharpie!?) 

edit- found it

https://howard-boats.com/exl/

A244718B-FD5E-413A-9D5E-502D61E59516.jpeg

• Like 3

Swarbrick Catboat JS4900, more in the Gil Smith aesthetic- beguiling to my eye at least-

D7696DAD-927F-4FD1-9A58-A0A14A718F47.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, Swarbrick has some very nive ideas, I like his dinghies a lot.

Here is another dutch daysailer, the DayM8.

A bit like a Nano Wally Nano

110133134_wm.jpg

• Like 1

The Revenue Cutter was a fast traditional cutter rigged gaffer with heavy long keel, plumb stem and that particular stern, counter with taffrail.....the dutch mainly but others from europe have played with the look and some made lightly and......Whitbread racer Gerald Dijkstra has many boats designed and built with the name  Bestevaer. [Good Father]....the first was his OSTAR single handed racer  since then has designed through Dykstra Naval Architects a range of large sailing cruisers 45-80 feet with title of Bestevaerimage.png.f0b091b3908cbd423db788d35a90d212.pngimage.png.f82e906c9b89b55248ab7c67435ee457.png  with features and look of said cutter but marconi rigged  some center boarders and others fin keel that were shrunk from earlier long keels thruogh time...some of these are expedition yachts. Some other of the Dutch yards often with in house design teams , have also looked into the Folklore of the Pilot/Revenue Cutter to be built in steel and later in alloy and all beautifully formed section panels for round bilge ....and very little bog fill for fairing. A certain pride coming from a long history of building commercial shipping often family run...       Gerard was the navigator for Connie on Flyer

Flyer-cap8.jpg

3 hours ago, Matagi said:

Yes, Swarbrick has some very nive ideas, I like his dinghies a lot.

Here is another dutch daysailer, the DayM8.

A bit like a Nano Wally Nano

110133134_wm.jpg

:wub:  I am such a sucker for that look.  Without the dodger...