Recommended Posts

team-white-knights1-1024x493.jpg

We're likely to see nearly the same thing with the other three (or is it two?) America's Cup teams, but for christ's sake, it is not possible to have less people of color on this massive team. And that is because there are none. And would you like to attempt to count how many women there are? No need, we did it for you: The answer is one. As in token. Or maybe there are more, but were told not to worry their pretty little heads over a silly photo op...

Really, this is the message you wish to send? If you aren't white and don't have a penis, then fuck off? There was no one of equal talent otherwise? It is total bullshit, insulting to millions (well it would be millions if anybody really gave a fuck about the AC, which they don't), is a poor look, and sends exactly the wrong message.

Looks pretty racist and misogynist to us. Apparently they didn't get the message about diversity.

  • Like 6
  • Downvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, cant tell if serious or sarcastic. 
 

If we’re going down this horrible route then this is the answer: they care about winning end of. AC teams don’t care what you look like, where you’re from or what sex you are. They care that you’re the best. That is all. 

  • Like 10
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that picture, I see 8 men that identify as black, 1 as yellow, 13 as trans, and 2 Agender. 

 

Now whose the racist??

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d agree with that.  It’s time that the AC joined the 21st century in this regard, including a minimum number of female crew members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flip Rigsby said:

In that picture, I see 8 men that identify as black, 1 as yellow, 13 as trans, and 2 Agender. 

 

Now whose the racist??

Why is it that bigots can’t spell?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes there aren’t many people of African background there because NZ didn’t have slaves. 
The Brits actually signed an agreement with the Maori recognising their rights in 1840. 
There will be plenty of people of Maori background there but they won’t stand out as much. 
There won’t be so many women as they are too smart to work carbon fibre all day. 

  • Like 7
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Editor said:

team-white-knights1-1024x493.jpg

We're likely to see nearly the same thing with the other three (or is it two?) America's Cup teams, but for christ's sake, it is not possible to have less people of color on this massive team. And that is because there are none. And would you like to attempt to count how many women there are? No need, we did it for you: The answer is one. As in token. Or maybe there are more, but were told not to worry their pretty little heads over a silly photo op...

Really, this is the message you wish to send? If you aren't white and don't have a penis, then fuck off? There was no one of equal talent otherwise? It is total bullshit, insulting to millions (well it would be millions if anybody really gave a fuck about the AC, which they don't), is a poor look, and sends exactly the wrong message.

Looks pretty racist and misogynist to us. Apparently they didn't get the message about diversity.

Maybe tidy up the racists running around your fucking forum first you fucking idiot before you call out others.. 

they have been reported numerous times yet YOU do fuck all. 

  • Like 16
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Why is it that bigots can’t spell?

Explain to me how I am a bigot that can't spell. I can't wait to hear this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Maybe tidy up the racists running around your fucking forum first you fucking idiot before you call out others.. 

they have been reported numerous times yet YOU do fuck all. 

Couldn’t have been said any better!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flip Rigsby said:

Explain to me how I am a bigot that can't spell. I can't wait to hear this.

It’s spelt ‘who’s’, as in ‘who is’.

 

The rest is obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

It’s spelt ‘who’s’, as in ‘who is’.

 

The rest is obvious.

Oh yeah, you're right! Thank you, Boomer! Carry on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a troll.

If you wanted to highlight lack of diversity - it is an entirely fair observation re sailing. But if you looked in ETNZ, it has more color than other AC teams, it has more women than other AC teams - in a society in NZ that doesn't have the kind of color spectrum one would have in the United States. There's diversity - just not the kind you're expecting because you wanted to see Hispanic/African American (because those are the disenfranchised from tech in the United States).

Why don't you go harp on the US team, Oracle USA back in the day, or 11th Hour?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an ETNZ "Fanboy" as many like to call Me, this is actually one area of the team that I do somewhat think, could be improved.

However, when a team from a tiny nation at the bottom of the world competes against some of the largest and well resourced nations in the world, WINNING must take priority. Hiring the BEST people is THE critical factor in winning a competition like the AC.

I identify as NZ Maori, I whakapapa back to Te Arawa, with Waitaha my hapu. I would like to see more "Brown skin" in the AC, but I also understand, putting and keeping NZ on the world stage requires winning.

As long as we have the BEST people. Thats ALL that matters. White skin, brown skin, Men, Women, LGBTQI, it does not matter.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to racially profile then there are 4 Maoris, 1 Tongan and 4 Asians in this picture and this is the shore crew.....

31 others in the team are not in the picture.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stealingisacrime said:

When will the liberal tribalists stop looking at people as being defined by their physical characteristics?  

If Scott is a liberal then Trump is an educated sophisticated nuanced person. He goes for clicks and coin - it is just the way it is. Otherwise you wouldn't go from criticizing North sales, highlighting unwanted sexualization of women and girls in sailing, then advertising for Southern Spars then defending Quantum to this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

As an ETNZ "Fanboy" as many like to call Me, this is actually one area of the team that I do somewhat think, could be improved.

However, when a team from a tiny nation at the bottom of the world competes against some of the largest and well resourced nations in the world, WINNING must take priority. Hiring the BEST people is THE critical factor in winning a competition like the AC.

I identify as NZ Maori, I whakapapa back to Te Arawa, with Waitaha my hapu. I would like to see more "Brown skin" in the AC, but I also understand, putting and keeping NZ on the world stage requires winning.

As long as we have the BEST people. Thats ALL that matters. White skin, brown skin, Men, Women, LGBTQI, it does not matter.

The benefit of diversity comes from building your team with people that bring different view points, thought processes and values to the whole.  Picking the “best people” misses the point. 

If you have white men choosing the “best people” without conscious bias toward diversity, you’ll end up with a team of white men who all think and work in similar ways - tunnel vision.

If any team should be choosing diversity, it should be ETNZ.  They’re innovative and progressive.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stealingisacrime said:

When will the liberal tribalists stop looking at people as being defined by their physical characteristics?  

That’s a fair point, but the lack of gender and racial mix does suggest a bias toward people with a similar cultural background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many black people sail with you on Anarchy?  Stop talking and go do something about it.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Editor said:

team-white-knights1-1024x493.jpg

We're likely to see nearly the same thing with the other three (or is it two?) America's Cup teams, but for christ's sake, it is not possible to have less people of color on this massive team. And that is because there are none. And would you like to attempt to count how many women there are? No need, we did it for you: The answer is one. As in token. Or maybe there are more, but were told not to worry their pretty little heads over a silly photo op...

Really, this is the message you wish to send? If you aren't white and don't have a penis, then fuck off? There was no one of equal talent otherwise? It is total bullshit, insulting to millions (well it would be millions if anybody really gave a fuck about the AC, which they don't), is a poor look, and sends exactly the wrong message.

Looks pretty racist and misogynist to us. Apparently they didn't get the message about diversity.

mate please explain me why do you fucking do that shit? even if it is sarcasm or not... for fuck sake find a girl

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

The benefit of diversity comes from building your team with people that bring different view points, thought processes and values to the whole.  Picking the “best people” misses the point. 

If you have white men choosing the “best people” without conscious bias toward diversity, you’ll end up with a team of white men who all think and work in similar ways - tunnel vision.

If any team should be choosing diversity, it should be ETNZ.  They’re innovative and progressive.

Regarding matters of gender equality actually how much effort does the AC put into developing roles for women sadly that TNZ picture and the team list tells the story.

The Ferrari example is a red herring seeing the FIA as a organisation is actively engaged with developing female participation.

https://www.fia.com/women-motorsport

Considering that F1 garners a 40% female fan base it’s a no brainer and I wonder how the gender fan base for the AC scrubs up most probably similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SA get a life....how about you guys clean your backyard before throwing muck around..... if you new more about ETNZ you would be amazed by the ethnic diversity in this team.... lets look at past and current USA teams and see what mixture of race and sex there is there 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you really think ETNZ and other teams actively discount people from team roles based on racial profile or gender? If so, put down the crack pipe and get back on your meds.

They'll pick up the best people available.  Now,  if due to historical industry make up, there are limited women etc, that will be reflected in team make up. 

Advocating for teams to discriminate against the best qualified available human being to fulfil some woke diversity race/gender quota is bollocks.

If you want change, get into schools and advocate for young people of all genders and cultural backgrounds to get interested in engineering, software development and other fields where you feel there is under-representation. This is happening, but will take time to yield visible results.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep your righteous woke shit for the US and stay well away from for NZ. And let me remind you there is was no African slavery in NZ just a very long standing treaty with the Maori and a culture and population that is as diverse as any in the world. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just a  mention that this belongs on the racism/oppression thread on another website.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lat35sowth said:

And just a  mention that this belongs on the racism/oppression thread on another website.

Seeing women buy Prada shop Amway fly Emirates purchase both fracked fuel and tyres use Spark drink Steinlager etc etc one would consider sponsors would be looking at their costly spend on investing in brand muscle to canvas as wide an audience as possible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This snowflake bullshit is ruining SA.     Anyone who is from NZ knows that not all Maoris or Islanders have dark skin.    I bet 20 to 30 percent of the people in that photo are either Islanders, Maori or have Maori descendents.    You are actually being racist by saying all you are seeing is white faces.    Do any of you butt hurt snowflakes complain in California at a basketball game about there being not enough white players?    Do you have any self awareness or do you enjoy putting your foot in your mouth and looking like a fool?   Give us a break and stick to sailing.  

  • Like 15
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

The benefit of diversity comes from building your team with people that bring different view points, thought processes and values to the whole.  Picking the “best people” misses the point. 

If you have white men choosing the “best people” without conscious bias toward diversity, you’ll end up with a team of white men who all think and work in similar ways - tunnel vision.

If any team should be choosing diversity, it should be ETNZ.  They’re innovative and progressive.

Thanks, have just figured out I must be a woman as I know lots of white men that have different view points, thought processes and values to me. I just thought it was because we are all different, but now I understand every white male is a clone of each other.

By the way does this mean I am the same as every woman, or are they allowed to vary?

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Diversity is important and so is ensuring equal opportunities - for sure, more can be done.
  2.  Pretty sure that photo is of the boat building team and shore crew so it's not the whole team (eg where is Elise?)
  3. If you want to play identity politics there are females and several races in the photo anyway.
  4. That you think 'diversity' = 'people of colour' and that you can only see 'white' in this photo just demonstratres how your own US exceptionalism makes you blind.
  5. Diversity is important and so is ensuring equal opportunities - for sure, more can be done.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh-huh. I just wonder if this was labeled NYYC what y'all would say about why going for the best ends up mighty white

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about the Ed bins of his fucking cringe SCOW feature as it comes over as a sad old man getting his rocks off over girls twenty years his younger and way out of his misogynistic league

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clicks must be down for the month.  So Ed goes and posts a controversial article on the front page and creates a thread.  

I'll bite.  I don't see many non-Caucasians out on any of the Anarchy boats.  What is this site doing to promote racial injustice in the sport of sailing?  What are the posters and readers doing to promote minorities in the sport of sailing?   I don't think SailingAnarchy has ever given back, Only Taken.  Not saying I'm doing anything either.  But don't grandstand and call people on the carpet when you're just as guilty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rh3000 said:
  1. Diversity is important and so is ensuring equal opportunities - for sure, more can be done.
  2.  Pretty sure that photo is of the boat building team and shore crew so it's not the whole team (eg where is Elise?)
  3. If you want to play identity politics there are females and several races in the photo anyway.
  4. That you think 'diversity' = 'people of colour' and that you can only see 'white' in this photo just demonstratres how your own US exceptionalism makes you blind.
  5. Diversity is important and so is ensuring equal opportunities - for sure, more can be done.

It is also symbolic of the in-breding that takes place amongst the AC community.  Why are all of the teams filled with so many recycled players from other AC teams.  It has been way to prevalent here in the US.  They do not always use the "Best" person so much as the most "Experienced" person, or the people they know.   You do not need to be an Olympic champion sailor to fill most of the spots in the crew, design or building programs.  There are plenty of places to give people opportunities it just takes a different mindset.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Editor said:

team-white-knights1-1024x493.jpg

We're likely to see nearly the same thing with the other three (or is it two?) America's Cup teams, but for christ's sake, it is not possible to have less people of color on this massive team. And that is because there are none. And would you like to attempt to count how many women there are? No need, we did it for you: The answer is one. As in token. Or maybe there are more, but were told not to worry their pretty little heads over a silly photo op...

Really, this is the message you wish to send? If you aren't white and don't have a penis, then fuck off? There was no one of equal talent otherwise? It is total bullshit, insulting to millions (well it would be millions if anybody really gave a fuck about the AC, which they don't), is a poor look, and sends exactly the wrong message.

Looks pretty racist and misogynist to us. Apparently they didn't get the message about diversity.

So now we have a Q-Anon fuckwit as a moderator. The NZ Herald can do with your dubious talent, asswipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of the example, this is a good debate that is worth having.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Thanks, have just figured out I must be a woman as I know lots of white men that have different view points, thought processes and values to me. I just thought it was because we are all different, but now I understand every white male is a clone of each other.

By the way does this mean I am the same as every woman, or are they allowed to vary?

If you and your white male mates truely believe that you share the same perspective as a young Muslim woman (for instance) and/or you wouldn’t benefit from that perspective, then that’s your problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things I do respect about ETNZ is their ability to maintain their relationship with Ngati Whatua Orakei, and name their boats with names significant to them and the Maori heritage and culture. Having the Maori culture (My culture) at the forefront, even just with names like Te Aihe, Te Kahu and now Te Rehutai being some of the most spoken words of the next AC cycle is a huge achievement.

For what its worth, Rugby seems to have gone in the opposite direction. A lot of Maori and Pacific Islanders, and not many "White men". What ever works. As long as ETNZ and the All Blacks pick the "Best people" thats all that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

If you and your white male mates truely believe that you share the same perspective as a young Muslim woman (for instance) and/or you wouldn’t benefit from that perspective, then that’s your problem.

You are conflating ethnicity with faith?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nutty said:

Ferrari F1

4DC5C0BF-B943-4B87-A626-5BA02CDC0006.jpeg

Well they tried diversity on the grid.  German + French (Monaco) is just as challenging as Venus and Mars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

You are conflating ethnicity with faith?

Good point. There are lots of white Muslims and black Christians. 

Although one is curious whether the Emirates TNZ team has any Muslim team members....being as Islam is the official religion of the UAE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

You are conflating ethnicity with faith?

No, I was making assumptions about belief and culture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

No, I was making assumptions about belief and culture. 

Careful...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

One of the things I do respect about ETNZ is their ability to maintain their relationship with Ngati Whatua Orakei, and name their boats with names significant to them and the Maori heritage and culture. Having the Maori culture (My culture) at the forefront, even just with names like Te Aihe, Te Kahu and now Te Rehutai being some of the most spoken words of the next AC cycle is a huge achievement.

For what its worth, Rugby seems to have gone in the opposite direction. A lot of Maori and Pacific Islanders, and not many "White men". What ever works. As long as ETNZ and the All Blacks pick the "Best people" thats all that matters.

It appear to be a nice gesture and may be based upon good intentions, but just using names from the Maori culture is different than actually giving opportunities to the Maori.  For example, do you think it may be possible that some of the strongest Maori rugby players may make better grinders than some sailor that had to bulk up for that spot?   It all depends upon who defines the "best people".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line- only racists see skin color.  When they see it before all else your suspicions are confirmed.  NZ is a unique case in many ways with regard to racial history and current diversity.  But the truth remains- if you look at life through a lens that sees skin color first, like it or not, you are racist.  You're racist if you think some minority needs your "help" in pointing out the differences, and also racist in the sense that you don't think they can fend for themselves without your help.  Keep that "white privilege" handy in your pocket and pull it out when you can both "help the situation" and seamlessly promote your wokeness  through virtue signaling.  All at no personal cost.    Are you suggesting they don't have what it takes to make it on their own?  Yes, you are.  Ironic, but true.  Stop seeing skin color and look for competence and additive value to the enterprise.  Cheap click bait....but we all knew that, right?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

It appear to be a nice gesture and may be based upon good intentions, but just using names from the Maori culture is different than actually giving opportunities to the Maori.  For example, do you think it may be possible that some of the strongest Maori rugby players may make better grinders than some sailor that had to bulk up for that spot?   It all depends upon who defines the "best people".

The rugby players wouldn’t want to downgrade to sailing - it’s like asking Div I football athletes if they want to give it up and become a hydraulic monkey

The better metric is to see whether NZ affords Maoris the same public education and private loan for homes that European and Asian Kiwis have access to. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

It appear to be a nice gesture and may be based upon good intentions, but just using names from the Maori culture is different than actually giving opportunities to the Maori.  For example, do you think it may be possible that some of the strongest Maori rugby players may make better grinders than some sailor that had to bulk up for that spot?   It all depends upon who defines the "best people".

Its not just about being "big". In order to do your job well, you have to know and understand why you're doing the job you're doing, how it affects other positions, the consequences of not doing that job properly.

You could have a prop who benchpresses 200kg (say) but put him on an AC boat during an AC race, and tell him to grind as fast as he can and he'll be gassed after 5 minutes!

Conversely, put a grinder on a rugby field and tell him to scrum against the South African forward pack and he'll have to be stretchered off the field after the first hit!

There are plenty of opportunities for Maori people, Maori sportsmen (and women) but sailing just isn't on their radar as a sport that they want to be involved with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

If you and your white male mates truely believe that you share the same perspective as a young Muslim woman (for instance) and/or you wouldn’t benefit from that perspective, then that’s your problem.

Why would I think I share the same perspective as a young Muslim woman? Just like I don't share the perspective of a poor white guy or a rich white guy. Or the Muslim white guy, or Jewish white guy etc.. You are treating all white guys as if they have the same perspective and you can only get diversity by having different colors or sexes. I find this a rather shallow view of a complex problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Editor said:

team-white-knights1-1024x493.jpg

We're likely to see nearly the same thing with the other three (or is it two?) America's Cup teams, but for christ's sake, it is not possible to have less people of color on this massive team. And that is because there are none. And would you like to attempt to count how many women there are? No need, we did it for you: The answer is one. As in token. Or maybe there are more, but were told not to worry their pretty little heads over a silly photo op...

Really, this is the message you wish to send? If you aren't white and don't have a penis, then fuck off? There was no one of equal talent otherwise? It is total bullshit, insulting to millions (well it would be millions if anybody really gave a fuck about the AC, which they don't), is a poor look, and sends exactly the wrong message.

Looks pretty racist and misogynist to us. Apparently they didn't get the message about diversity.

This was a truly pathetic post. I agree that our sport (all sports) could benefit from greater racial and gender diversity but this accusation is wide of the mark. Plenty in this photo are of maori, pacific island and asian descent.

@Editor Please provide an ethnic and gender breakdown of the Anarchy crew. I suspect you'll be too embarrassed to do so.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nutty said:

Ferrari F1

4DC5C0BF-B943-4B87-A626-5BA02CDC0006.jpeg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Editor said:

We're likely to see nearly the same thing with the other three (or is it two?) America's Cup teams, but for christ's sake, it is not possible to have less people of color on this massive team.

Maybe it is possible. Make them pay to build the walls! 
:) 

NFL Football and NBA Basketball are largely Black sports; sailing is largely white. Not seeing any problem although I am rooting for the ladies to do well in the VG! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fine job of insulting our NZ brothers. Suggest you reconsider inventing social strife and consider how it affects others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Editor said:

team-white-knights1-1024x493.jpg

We're likely to see nearly the same thing with the other three (or is it two?) America's Cup teams, but for christ's sake, it is not possible to have less people of color on this massive team. And that is because there are none. And would you like to attempt to count how many women there are? No need, we did it for you: The answer is one. As in token. Or maybe there are more, but were told not to worry their pretty little heads over a silly photo op...

Really, this is the message you wish to send? If you aren't white and don't have a penis, then fuck off? There was no one of equal talent otherwise? It is total bullshit, insulting to millions (well it would be millions if anybody really gave a fuck about the AC, which they don't), is a poor look, and sends exactly the wrong message.

Looks pretty racist and misogynist to us. Apparently they didn't get the message about diversity.

@Editor you are a fucking moron and your site is rasist, sexist and in very poor taste.  Others have already mentioned the cultural diversity within this team and the many women also within it.  Your site is a joke, I haven’t tuned in in years and just came here to say you are a sad pathetic person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pretty hilarious coming from a site that has SCOTW,  point taken on diversity but boat building is a male occupation just like construction. How many female chippies and labourers are there? like fuck all. While I have no doubt that females can work with black sticky shit all day, seems that they don't want to. As for coloured people, you'll find that people wont be turned down because they are brown or yellow. I can see two of my mates in that photo, how did they got their jobs? they are qualified boatbuilders, went for interviews and took pay cuts to get on the team, they work stupid hours and have done for years. I can guarantee that a rainbow coloured indigenous transgender three titted retard would have got a job there if they had the skills.

 

it is what it is, we don't do tokenism or virtue signaling, we build boats and sail them fast now fuck off.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

It appear to be a nice gesture and may be based upon good intentions, but just using names from the Maori culture is different than actually giving opportunities to the Maori.  For example, do you think it may be possible that some of the strongest Maori rugby players may make better grinders than some sailor that had to bulk up for that spot?   It all depends upon who defines the "best people".

I'd be incredibly surpised to find there is not Maori blood amongst the members of the ETNZ team.

Also ETNZ have been at it for over a decade - https://www.teaomaori.news/etnz-ceo-grant-dalton-supports-maori-sailing-kids

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is probably the dumbest thread i have seen in a long time, and may i remind you i have visited the DIY Materials thread and liberator sailing project in the last day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wake up people.  the thread is click bait.  Scooter charges his advertisers calculated on the number of clicks on the site.  You have just driven his price up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pathetic. As has been pointed out this isn’t the whole team and to offer judgement solely on appearances, you should be ashamed. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Maybe it is possible. Make them pay to build the walls! 
:) 

NFL Football and NBA Basketball are largely Black sports; sailing is largely white. Not seeing any problem although I am rooting for the ladies to do well in the VG! 

Much like swimming is mainly white. Saw a show on this subject many years ago and one of the black players commented that they like sports that pay lots, so leave sports like swimming to the white folk. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Miffy said:

The rugby players wouldn’t want to downgrade to sailing - it’s like asking Div I football athletes if they want to give it up and become a hydraulic monkey

The better metric is to see whether NZ affords Maoris the same public education and private loan for homes that European and Asian Kiwis have access to. 

That makes sense.  Along with comments from Four and RH3000.  

Of course, I know very little about the cultural blends in NZ and am glad to hear that it is working well.  Actions speak louder than words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen lots of pictures with you out sailing the new Anarchy, Scot.

Zero racial diversification there I've noticed, so why don't you get your own house in order before throwing stones at others, you cunt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this based on a photo, or the known ethnic breakdown of the team?

OP would have a total fit if he saw a photo or list of players names of the Maori All Blacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Why is it that bigots can’t spell?

That opinion's a little bigoted isn't it..

Studies prove 50% of bigot's spelling is above average.

(n.b. only edited to correct my grammar, not spelling..)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a toss pot comment from a fucktard who denigrates women with his SCOW shit.

Get a fucking grip Ed.

FFS who cares what people are picked - you must have an issue with American football basketball. 

It’s been a while since I have followed SA. Picked it up based on AC coming up. Will now likely bin it forever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck off with thiss PC bullshit... Why arent you dating a black dude?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, M26 said:

Fuck off with thiss PC bullshit... Why arent you dating a black dude?

He might have meant to link to Lewis Black or the non-profit but this is where the front page leads... 

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, transpac5 said:

Racist?? You are a brainwashed punk. Talent rises to the top, not skin color. Go to bed you little man.

Ha ha ha.  That’s the funniest thing I’ve read for ages.  Great first post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed points out race and others are the racist?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Ed points out race and others are the racist?  

He is a classic limousine liberal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 6:32 AM, carlosgp5 said:

mate please explain me why do you fucking do that shit? even if it is sarcasm or not... for fuck sake find a girl

He needs help.! Sailing Anarchy would be a far better place with someone else managing it. His personal issues come through so many of the headlines and thats wrong in journalism. I picked up on the photo early after counting at least 3 non white people. To target ETNZ like that is sick and shows what goes through his small mind. What girl would have him?  Poor effort and embarrassing for this site. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If "only racists see skin color," am I a misogynist for noting all-male groups? OK. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit late for this round of the AC, but what would people think of a minimum number of female(s) on the boat for the rules of 37? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, D_Dog said:

A bit late for this round of the AC, but what would people think of a minimum number of female(s) on the boat for the rules of 37? 

Sure, but how are you going to define female... Caster Semenya allowed to sail? Caitlyn Jenner? Kimber James?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nutty said:

Sure, but how are you going to define female... Caster Semenya allowed to sail? Caitlyn Jenner? Kimber James?

I identify as an AH64-D Apache attack helicopter. There should be a minimum quota for attack helicopters on each AC75 for racing in AC36... Just sayin'... no agenda... 8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nutty said:

Sure, but how are you going to define female... Caster Semenya allowed to sail? Caitlyn Jenner? Kimber James?

Valid point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nutty said:

Sure, but how are you going to define female... Caster Semenya allowed to sail? Caitlyn Jenner? Kimber James?

Caster Semenya is female by all the traditional measures (the poor lass has even had to prove it to doctors multiple times!), they literally had to new invent rules to keep her from running. The only thing controversial about her is the fact that people can't handle how much faster than everyone else she is.

It's somewhat less black and white (appropriately diverse phrase just for this thread) when it comes to the other two, there are certainly issues that need resolving around transgender participation in womens sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 5:15 PM, Gissie said:

Thanks, have just figured out I must be a woman as I know lots of white men that have different view points, thought processes and values to me. I just thought it was because we are all different, but now I understand every white male is a clone of each other.

By the way does this mean I am the same as every woman, or are they allowed to vary?

On 11/20/2020 at 9:02 PM, Gissie said:

Why would I think I share the same perspective as a young Muslim woman? Just like I don't share the perspective of a poor white guy or a rich white guy. Or the Muslim white guy, or Jewish white guy etc.. You are treating all white guys as if they have the same perspective and you can only get diversity by having different colors or sexes. I find this a rather shallow view of a complex problem.

I think the point went over your head...

Nobody is claiming your strawman argument that all people from a certain demographic think the same. The problem is that a demographic's multitude of thoughts/viewpoints are generally bound to a certain set of frameworks, processes, and values because of similar upbringings, schooling, and environment. Of course there will be outliers, but they are far from the majority by definition. 

By hiring people from different backgrounds you get people with different experiences, as a result, the higher potential for different solutions to various problems.

A common misconception is that intentionally hiring diverse means hiring less competent in favor of diversity, but the reality is more about opening doors for people who are just as/more competent but may not have the necessary connections or exposure to the given field to be considered for the job. 

You don't even have to stratify by culture/ethnic/socioeconomic background. Just look at Airbus engineers applying their knowhow to AM's program. 

Additionally, ETNZ's bikes are a perfect example of this playing out in a smaller, more constrained environment. 

Industry translation is responsible for 90%(estimation) of "innovation", that is, taking different, already existing processes, technology, and thinking, that is- a different perspective and applying it to a given field. Why can't more culturally diverse problem solvers be applied in the same manner?

There are already examples in boating with the invention of Proas, Catamarans, and Trimarans by Polynesians. They had a different needed to solve a problem and used their unique knowledge, one might say culture, and their environment to come up with a solution.  

Another example can be seen in website/UI/UX design across East/West. In the West, the typical website is designed with reading/scrolling top to bottom and left to right, letter by letter, word by word. East Asian website by comparison are undecipherable, with information popping out from what seems to be every random corner of the screen, but this is due to how characters can be read in every direction and at a much faster rate. Some of the best work I have seen was when the designer successfully merged the best of each way of conceptualizing information. Imagine this level of thinking being applied to other solutions or ideas. 

Overall, I find this a rather shallow view of a complex problem...

On 11/20/2020 at 11:26 PM, transpac5 said:

Racist?? You are a brainwashed punk. Talent rises to the top, not skin color. Go to bed you little man.

Sure, in a closed system. This is the real world and connections, biased perceptions,  and unequal opportunities pervert the system. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised that there are no Asians on the team though. Even with the lack of participation in sailing we skew quite heavily towards STEM type fields which would be relevant within the developmental team. And Auckland has a large Asian community. Maybe too much domain knowledge is needed for skills to be quickly transferred? Although in motorsport engineering (outside of Japan) Asian (by ethnicity, not nationality) representation is pretty much nonexistent. 

I noticed a Korean couple in the front row of the ETNZ B2 launch though, and I believe the Consul General to NZL from the US who is of Korean descent was at the Patriot unveiling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sailfly said:

I am surprised that there are no Asians on the team though. Even with the lack of participation in sailing we skew quite heavily towards STEM type fields which would be relevant within the developmental team. And Auckland has a large Asian community. Maybe too much domain knowledge is needed for skills to be quickly transferred? Although in motorsport engineering (outside of Japan) Asian (by ethnicity, not nationality) representation is pretty much nonexistent. 

I noticed a Korean couple in the front row of the ETNZ B2 launch though, and I believe the Consul General to NZL from the US who is of Korean descent was at the Patriot unveiling? 

Pretty sure two or three of the guys in that photo are in fact asian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sailfly said:

I think the point went over your head...

Nobody is claiming your strawman argument that all people from a certain demographic think the same. The problem is that a demographic's multitude of thoughts/viewpoints are generally bound to a certain set of frameworks, processes, and values because of similar upbringings, schooling, and environment. Of course there will be outliers, but they are far from the majority by definition. 

By hiring people from different backgrounds you get people with different experiences, as a result, the higher potential for different solutions to various problems.

A common misconception is that intentionally hiring diverse means hiring less competent in favor of diversity, but the reality is more about opening doors for people who are just as/more competent but may not have the necessary connections or exposure to the given field to be considered for the job. 

You don't even have to stratify by culture/ethnic/socioeconomic background. Just look at Airbus engineers applying their knowhow to AM's program. 

Additionally, ETNZ's bikes are a perfect example of this playing out in a smaller, more constrained environment. 

Industry translation is responsible for 90%(estimation) of "innovation", that is, taking different, already existing processes, technology, and thinking, that is- a different perspective and applying it to a given field. Why can't more culturally diverse problem solvers be applied in the same manner?

There are already examples in boating with the invention of Proas, Catamarans, and Trimarans by Polynesians. They had a different needed to solve a problem and used their unique knowledge, one might say culture, and their environment to come up with a solution.  

Another example can be seen in website/UI/UX design across East/West. In the West, the typical website is designed with reading/scrolling top to bottom and left to right, letter by letter, word by word. East Asian website by comparison are undecipherable, with information popping out from what seems to be every random corner of the screen, but this is due to how characters can be read in every direction and at a much faster rate. Some of the best work I have seen was when the designer successfully merged the best of each way of conceptualizing information. Imagine this level of thinking being applied to other solutions or ideas. 

Overall, I find this a rather shallow view of a complex problem...

Sure, in a closed system. This is the real world and connections, biased perceptions,  and unequal opportunities pervert the system. 

So eloquently put, especially the bold part. Thank you so much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Boybland said:

Pretty sure two or three of the guys in that photo are in fact asian.

Ah, did not notice that. Phone screen is too small :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, sailfly said:

A common misconception is that intentionally hiring diverse means hiring less competent in favor of diversity, but the reality is more about opening doors for people who are just as/more competent but may not have the necessary connections or exposure to the given field to be considered for the job. 

if they are good enough they will be selected

installing mandatory demographics will almost always create a level of competition lower than possible

this applies for etnz .. any reason the best is not chosen is unacceptable

 

some teams may need some form of encouragement

but it will almost always be to the detriment of the team if its done

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, phill_nz said:

if they are good enough they will be selected

 

Maybe in a teeny tiny place like NZ?  But maybe not. In a big place, to be "selected" you need to be in the applicant pool, then shortlisted. Connections matter a LOT for that, starting at the grassroots level. Even for white males.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites