Sign in to follow this  
Jud - s/v Sputnik

The Discarded - Rescuing an old sailing fishing boat and turning her into a cargo carrier

(piggybacking on Ajax’s successful “Discarded” [and apparently not copyrighted] brand/tagline :-) )

Great story about Brad of S/V Kwai, which plies the far-flung Line Islands/Kiribati/Cook Islands, etc carrying cargo and passengers.

I’ve heard of S/V Kwai, but didn’t know much about them.  Hell of a vision to purchase an old rusting, abandoned burnt out sailing fishing ship and sail the world, as a business...

https://hanahou.com/21.5/the-sea-trader

When Ives first laid eyes on Kwai, it was a burned-out derelict rusting away in a Norwegian fjord. A fire had gutted its engine room and stern cabin, and the boat appeared destined for the scrapyard. But Ives liked what he saw. Built in Germany in 1950 as a motorized drift net fishing boat, Kwai was designed to carry a small sailing rig to keep stable and pointed into the wind while working the fishing grounds. Ives recognized in its steel hull the elegant lines of a sailing ship. “I walked her decks, and she was saying to me, ‘I can do it! Take me!’” he recalls. “I knew pretty early on she had a soul.”

“Ives bought the boat in 2002 and began the painstaking process of rehabilitating it and converting it into a full-fledged sailing ship. After four years of restoration and refitting, he sailed Kwai to Surinam, loaded it with silver bali lumber and set off for Hawai‘i to sell the cargo. Along the way he stopped in Rarotonga, where he registered the vessel and ended up acquiring a shipping license allowing him to import goods to the Cook Islands. When government officials in the nearby Line Islands caught wind of the Kwai, they invited Ives to apply for a license to work there, too.”

• Like 1

Cool. Very similar to what Nancy Griffith did after Bob passed away. Thanks for the share.

6 hours ago, CapnK said:

Cool. Very similar to what Nancy Griffith did after Bob passed away. Thanks for the share.

She’s a bit of a legend.  Friend of mine sailed with her back in the ‘90s, as paying crew, I think, for the experience.

• Like 1