Sign in to follow this  
Greyhound37

Farr X2 info?

Anyone have the inside scoop? The 30' double handed market is getting crowded. 

Is a new Farr design going to be good?  Total domination in IMS in the 90s, VO60s, Farr 40s, Farr 30s, Cookson 50 probably the best offshore production race boat ever designed.  Cracks showed up at the start of the VO70 era, then we got the 11S (turd), Farr 400 (turd), Farr 280 (no idea, but at least a marketing turd).  I'll concede that the two best non-foiling IMOCAs in the world are Farr designs but I think they're a good 10 years old also.  

I'm interested to know who left the office around that VO70 period, and who's really designing the new stuff.  I know Donovan was in there during the Mumm 30 project, not sure when Bruce's hand left the page.

2 hours ago, Schnick said:

Is a new Farr design going to be good?  Total domination in IMS in the 90s, VO60s, Farr 40s, Farr 30s, Cookson 50 probably the best offshore production race boat ever designed.  Cracks showed up at the start of the VO70 era, then we got the 11S (turd), Farr 400 (turd), Farr 280 (no idea, but at least a marketing turd).  I'll concede that the two best non-foiling IMOCAs in the world are Farr designs but I think they're a good 10 years old also.  

I'm interested to know who left the office around that VO70 period, and who's really designing the new stuff.  I know Donovan was in there during the Mumm 30 project, not sure when Bruce's hand left the page.

The two best non foiling IMOCA's in the world are Banque Populaire X, the former VPLP-Verdier designed MACIF that Francois Gabart used to win the 2012 Vendee Globe, and Michel Desjoyeaux's sister ship, named Banque Populaire at the time, now owned by Samantha Davis and fitted with foils. Farr has been out of this game for quite some time. Granted, Jean Le Cam is sailing a Farr designed 2006 IMOCA 60 pretty dang well at the moment, but I doubt he will podium in this edition of the VG.

• Like 1

Bruce retired 6-8 years ago I would guess. Maybe a gradual exit.

Surprised you have the 11S on the turd list. As an overall quick, crewed 36' boat they appear a solid platform and cheap today. Never said one. 

Great Concept but looks like it is being marketed first in Sydney then to various Euro events.   Because of the various comments already expressed and the failure of other Farr programs in North America I strongly doubt anything but a meager effort.

More likely a Mark Mills / Melges opportunity for a 30 footer.  I agree with comments I see on other sites.  The Farr X2 might really fit a large number of events post covid.   Great concept just the wrong people involved for success in North America.   Honestly not sure that Farr is competitive in Europe and no clue about other locations. 

I think the market place is too crowded in Europe. You’ve got the Dehler 30 basically doing the same thing as the Farr but is already proving successful in The Baltic region. France has the Figaro 3 and a mass of French IRC double handed designs and the UK has Mostly adopted the Sunfast 3300 with some 10 boats sold and many currently training regularly with with their own training programme. The Farr kind of looks ok but it’s 2 years too late even if it was launched and sailing right now

23 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Bruce retired 6-8 years ago I would guess. Maybe a gradual exit.

Surprised you have the 11S on the turd list. As an overall quick, crewed 36' boat they appear a solid platform and cheap today. Never said one. 

I have never sailed an 11S either but sailed near one... :D

On that basis, I think the issue is that it looks faster than it really is. Very cool looking boat, the people I talked to said that it was not difficult to sail. Although they were F2F as expected, they did not win.

FB- Doug