Sign in to follow this  
Borax Johnson

I need a new iPad. Which one has real gps?

Ok tech heads,

ive already been to the Apple.com site. Looks like I need the 128Gb with cellular (which I have no need for) but only because it has the gps chip. One of the main reasons is for offshore navigation way out of the way of cellular extrapolation of where I might be.

is that true? What’s up with the gps/cellular connection?

im about half way through my third ran of the Jobs biography. Is this connected to the reality distortion field? Do I I have to pay an extra $125?

Get a Garmin GPS and avoid Apple to the core.

• Like 2

Apparently the GPS is on the cell chips I have owned two iPads with cellular and don’t regret it 

Not really sure how they will due in high humidity and the screen does suck in sunlight 

11 minutes ago, tommays said:

Apparently the GPS is on the cell chips I have owned two iPads with cellular and don’t regret it 

Not really sure how they will due in high humidity and the screen does suck in sunlight 

My current one is about 7 years old with a lifeproof case and has been through a lot. A lot. The only time it didn't perform 100% was off of Nicaragua in a "chubasco" lightning storm that looked like the strobes at an Oscar Awards press conference. It kind of freaked out, but has worked perfectly before and since.

It is just getting a bit slow (I think that is an Apple 'design feature' to make you buy more), so it is time.

2 hours ago, Borax Johnson said:

Yes, the one with the cell chipset has GPS functionality.  The WiFi only versions do not.

On the cell versions, the GPS works whether you have cell signal (or cell-service activated) or not.  It simply requires the chipset.

Hiked across northern UK using maps I iPad in life proof case. Worked perfect in all weather. You need the cell capable iPad but it does not have to have cell service to obtain GPS info accurately. 

3 hours ago, Borax Johnson said:

Ok tech heads,

ive already been to the Apple.com site. Looks like I need the 128Gb with cellular (which I have no need for) but only because it has the gps chip. One of the main reasons is for offshore navigation way out of the way of cellular extrapolation of where I might be.

im about half way through my third ran of the Jobs biography. Is this connected to the reality distortion field? Do I I have to pay an extra $125?

i have an ASUS android tablet for $125 that uses GLOSNASS and american GPS satellites, it doesn't have cell... 

I always load everything onto my iphone as backup.

Works outside cellular range.

1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Get a Bad Elf.

Do this..   Used one of these slaved to my iPad for flying for a few years.  Very accurate and the battery last forever.

image.png.2092ed9cab9f519e8288b0e840246098.png

3 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Get a Bad Elf.

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Do this..   Used one of these slaved to my iPad for flying for a few years.  Very accurate and the battery last forever.

image.png.2092ed9cab9f519e8288b0e840246098.png

I got one of these for my first iPad, that didn't have the Cell Chipset.  Worked very well.  As Nacradriver said, the battery lasts a long time, and you can keep it plugged into boat power.  This helps the iPad battery last a lot longer, as the iPad GSP receiver chews up a lot of power.  Mine received signal through the boat, so I could keep it down below where it was dry and safe.  It can send the signal to many different devices at the same time!

We've got an GPS enabled iPad mounted on a universal arm on deck in a lifeproof case and linked to the instruments via a local WiFi repeater so it can be seen by the navigator or driver.  And can toggle between instrument readouts and Navionics charting.  12v plugin wired to the bracket mount so the iPad is not on battery.  The screen is very legible in glare.

I’ve been using my iPad in a lifeproof case with navionics for May years and many miles. It has now reached the point with most things Apple that they have tweaked the os to the point that older devices are hopelessly unable to do things in real time. (Reality distortion field hits reality?)

so I need to upgrade before next cruising season. 

Yes you need a cellular model

No you do not have to activate it, just have the call chip

An external GPS violates the KISS principle.   Plus if you need to spend money to buy the GPS, FFS- get the cell iPad.

Ponder a NMEA- WiFi bridge for the boat.  It will stream depth, wind, etc in a NMEA0183 data stream that Navionica, etc can use.  If you have a GPS on the boat, it will stream location also.  THEN you will not need a GPS enabled device

18 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Who would want this little asshole on their boat?

image.jpeg.5b8f8456ac4853b5b449456c391bd77b.jpeg

You have your idea, this is mine...   I think that masses will here will agree with me..  :D

image.png.ad1897c0bcdafa9191eca1b2653cb151.png

On 11/26/2020 at 6:18 PM, Borax Johnson said:

Ok tech heads,

My understanding is that GPS has nothing do do with a cell connection. But they share the same antenna. So unless there is cell capability, there no GPS. 

I learned this the hard way. I bought an iPad Pro with wifi only hoping to use it for civilian flying. Bought the $100 Garmin Pilot app, loaded up all the maps, planned a long XC, got airborne and it didn’t work. FUCK!!!!! Was shouted as I’m scrambling to pull out all the paper charts. And it was too late to return it.