usa1136

Core under j105 wheel pedestal

I decided to convert a new to me J105 to tiller steering.  I removed every piece of hardware on the boat, drilled, filled red drilled, primed, painted, etc. For a 25 year boat she is very dry. Except...under the now removed wheel pedestal.  Spent the day yesterday removing core and prepping to replace core and laminate.  The area was completely soaked with a crack 13” long directly below the pedestal. 

It appeared that not only were the bolts that hold up the steering pulleys/system through the core with no epoxy isolation, but a 2” hole was drilled for the cables which exposed the balsa. Was this how it came from the factory when new? Or was this a botched DIY job from a past tiller to wheel conversion? Pic attached.

2B6CFCDA-4B5F-455D-B5FB-7EBA738B098D.jpeg

Had exact same issue on my 35 while going back to tiller years ago     Not much thought was used when adding pedestal and wheel option at builder  TPI

Well that just sucks.  Sure sounds like the typical production boatbuilder "time is money, get er done and out the door, the owner will never see it"

So frustrating to see stuff like this.  A little upfront time doing it right should be the standard.

Probably should have been plywood in there. Yes, boatbuilders should do better. Some small details would not be difficult or expensive. I do not think builders believe a boat should last 25 years.

It looks relatively easy to fix. That is a plus.

imagine if it had been built by Carroll Marine ....

Please remember TPI (& other J builders) do so under a contract. J may have held the price low to where the builder does not have the cost ability to do all this extra work, or J did not call out for it in build specs.