bushsailor

Adjustable headboard

Answer-to-fat-head-mainsails.jpg

Wow Trovao, that is the very first Anomaly Headboard I ever sold. They just put a new sail on it, still working well I'm told. 

But I don't think that is what the question was about. 

On 12/14/2020 at 6:19 AM, DDW said:

Wow Trovao, that is the very first Anomaly Headboard I ever sold. They just put a new sail on it, still working well I'm told. 

But I don't think that is what the question was about. 

No the question was about an adjustable headboard. Volvo 70s had them. I need to make one for my new main which has a big (too big) a squaretop head and we need to adjust it to set it up correctly.

We did have a very similar set up to picture above but I have a new mast with track locks so this system no longer works well.

FYI, I have a version of the automatic headboard that works with track locks. 

How does the adjustable headboard on the Volvo racers work and what does it do? Adjust the luff offset?

Lots of these boats attach the head of the main to the top car with a multiple pass lashing, simple and light but not something they are adjusting while the sail it hoisted. The lashing is released when the main is down to allow a sail cover to go over the sail, for boats that use a sail cover

On 12/17/2020 at 12:08 PM, DDW said:

FYI, I have a version of the automatic headboard that works with track locks. 

How does the adjustable headboard on the Volvo racers work and what does it do? Adjust the luff offset?

It has a multiple lashing system that kind of replaces the bolt and spacer in the picture above.

I cant really remember(or I wouldn't be asking the question)

It is not designed to be adjusted under sail but the lashings can be adjusted to allow for some sail stretch and fine tuning of the head.

With my new sail we have to pop some battens anyway so no big deal to pull a pin and eliminate the automatic headboard.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:39 PM, bushsailor said:

It has a multiple lashing system that kind of replaces the bolt and spacer in the picture above.

I cant really remember(or I wouldn't be asking the question)

It is not designed to be adjusted under sail but the lashings can be adjusted to allow for some sail stretch and fine tuning of the head.

With my new sail we have to pop some battens anyway so no big deal to pull a pin and eliminate the automatic headboard.

Look to IMOCAs. VO70s and VO65s have gone to Southern stock headboards with a pin. The 60s are still using french-style lashing and more varied brands.

HW