Gouvernail

81,000,000 to 74,000,000

It’s gonna be a 7,000,000 margin when it’s all counted and certified 

D997A89C-E705-41AB-A483-8FC01FEDCB35.jpeg

I wouldn't get too excited about + 7 million. The moron-in-chief, by large measure the worst president in modern history got 74 million votes.

• Like 2

Just now, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I wouldn't get too excited about + 7 million. The moron-in-chief, by large measure the worst president in modern history got 74 million votes.

Isn't that the way we all want it?  155MM votes is pretty impressive.  And Joe kicked his ass sideways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

+1000.  I'm glad but its hardly something to celebrate. 

19 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I wouldn't get too excited about + 7 million. The moron-in-chief, by large measure the worst president in modern US history got 74 million votes.

(Small edit for accuracy.)

What I do find amazing is that there isn't a single red state on that map that I would consider living in.   

And only a handful of spots that'd I'd even be interested in visiting.  

But then I'm an elitist.  

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

What I do find amazing is that there isn't a single red state on that map that I would consider living in.   

But then I'm an elitist.  

That area about to be surrounded by blue in the Northwest is pretty fucking nice.

Note: New York is 95% counted. If the same percentages persist among the remaining votes, President Biden will get about 250,000 and Lame Duck will get about 150,000

That would push the margin over 7,000,000

That is about 140,000 per state 

34 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Note: New York is 95% counted. If the same percentages persist among the remaining votes, President Biden will get about 250,000 and Lame Duck will get about 150,000

That would push the margin over 7,000,000

That is about 140,000 per state 

Remove CA and NY and it's about a dead heat over the other 48.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

And ⅓ the country’s gdp lower 

1 hour ago, roundthebuoys said:

That area about to be surrounded by blue in the Northwest is pretty fucking nice.

It is quite physically beautiful, and I've spent some pleasant days in Sand Point, Idaho for instance...but I wouldn't live there.  Then you get the residents of places like Colstrip, Montana who would die before they'd stop burning coal.  

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

But then I'm an elitist.  

Really?     I’ve seen Boston and Atlanta traffic.

.If you are stuck on a dark country road in Indiana, I promise you people will stop to help.    I was doing a frog call survey  and had to keep restarting my count because if a car drove by they had to stop and offer assistance,   Would that happen in Queens?     In the elitist areas they look at the patina on the truck and call the police to report the hired help hasn’t left at sundown as required.    

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Amd ⅓ the country’s gdp

GDP is a lousy measure of utility or happiness.   It’s just a measure of how much money is being sucked, not the quality of the head being given..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

It is quite physically beautiful, and I've spent some pleasant days in Sand Point, Idaho for instance...but I wouldn't live there.  Then you get the residents of places like Colstrip, Montana who would die before they'd stop burning coal.  

That's cool.  I get it.  Please don't judge all of Idaho on Sandpoint though.

39 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Going to count certain people as 3/5s of a person next?

Just now, Lark said:

.If you are stuck on a dark country road in Indiana, I promise you people will stop to help.    I was doing a frog call survey  and had to keep restarting my count because if a car drove by they had to stop and offer assistance,   Would that happen in Queens?     In the elitist areas they look at the patina on the truck and call the police to report the hired help hasn’t left at sundown as required.    

You are completely wrong.  Manhattan is really about 500 villages of 1,000 people each.

One of the nicest moments of my life occurred in Washington Square in Manhattan where, having just been dumped by my girlfriend, a complete stranger walked up beside me as I was bleary eyed and said "Undoubtably things will get better.  So sorry you are sad" and walked on with a wave.  They did get better.

Or when my mom was getting older and dementia was just setting in, her upper west side neighborhood merchants noticed it first and I discovered from her doorman that the shopkeepers would track her as she went on her errands from the bank to the hairdresser to the deli and so on.  They would ask her where where was going and call ahead saying "Mrs. J. is heading your way, if she doesn't get there in 15 minutes let me know."   Her neighborhood bank manager called me when he suspected she was getting scammed and asked me to get power of attorney so he could track and report what he saw going on.  

Every place is a neighborhood.  Horizontal some places, vertical others.  What does traffic have to do with anything.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Left Shift said:
51 minutes ago, Lark said:

You are completely wrong.  Manhattan is really about 500 villages of 1,000 people each.

One of the nicest moments of my life occurred in Washington Square in Manhattan where, having just been dumped by my girlfriend, a complete stranger walked up beside me as I was bleary eyed and said "Undoubtably things will get better.  So sorry you are sad" and walked on with a wave.  They did get better.

Or when my mom was getting older and dementia was just setting in, her upper west side neighborhood merchants noticed it first and I discovered from her doorman that the shopkeepers would track her as she went on her errands from the bank to the hairdresser to the deli and so on.  They would ask her where where was going and call ahead saying "Mrs. J. is heading your way, if she doesn't get there in 15 minutes let me know."   Her neighborhood bank manager called me when he suspected she was getting scammed and asked me to get power of attorney so he could track and report what he saw going on.  

Every place is a neighborhood.  Horizontal some places, vertical others.  What does traffic have to do with anything.  

Yes and no, I've had lot of great friends in places that are supposed to be unfriendly like NYC and Paris.

OTOH when cruising the NY state waterways, we had out alternator burn out. Nearest winding shop ~ 30 miles away, over high speed rural roads that made it not a good bike ride.

Anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line, out of the first five people you talked to, at least one would say "I'll give you a ride over there, hop in." I've done that kind of favor myself many many times. In trying to hunt down the best option to get my alternator fixed, I talked to a dozen nice folks but none were -that- helpful. It was slightly cheaper to take a cab than to rent a car for the day...

But every place is a neighborhood, yes. People are human, everywhere. With different language and very different customs yes, but if you can reach out to them in a way they understand & appreciate, they'll reach back.

- DSK

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I’m relieved to hear shopkeepers in the city can behave like their small town counterparts (back when towns had retail) and happily correct my stereotype of uncaring big box stores, Amazon and street vendors selling knock offs.   Rural living, despite all the despicable political behavior that has tainted us, is at its heart one of multigenerational relationships that outlast a single lifespan.   I’m the oddball migrant that moves every decade or two,  

Traffic has everything to do with low quality of living, as well as training people to behave most rudely,    I learned to think of cities as choke points between destinations,   It was vital to have a full tank of gas and an empty bladder when approaching one, especially Chicago.    

9 minutes ago, Lark said:

I’m relieved to hear shopkeepers in the city can behave like their small town counterparts (back when towns had retail) and happily correct my stereotype of uncaring big box stores, Amazon and street vendors selling knock offs.   Rural living, despite all the despicable political behavior that has tainted us, is at its heart one of multigenerational relationships that outlast a single lifespan.   I’m the oddball migrant that moves every decade or two,  

Traffic has everything to do with low quality of living, as well as training people to behave most rudely,    I learned to think of cities as choke points between destinations,   It was vital to have a full tank of gas and an empty bladder when approaching one, especially Chicago.    

You are much more likely to find a big box store sucking the life out a a rural town than a Manhattan community.  Manhattan is the home of the small (sometimes tiny) specialty store. 

Here is a map of all the Walmarts in Manhattan, Brooklyn, South Bronx and Queens.  The Red Dots indicate a Walmart.   Note:  There aren't any.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.58.44 PM.png

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

You are much more likely to find a big box store sucking the life out a a rural town than a Manhattan community.  Manhattan is the home of the small (sometimes tiny) specialty store. 

Here is a map of all the Walmarts in Manhattan, Brooklyn, South Bronx and Queens.  The Red Dots indicate a Walmart.   Note:  There aren't any.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.58.44 PM.png

Interesting,   Suburbs are the worst, mostly franchises and big box stores exist.    Rural has a niche where the franchises business models don’t show enough profit on the service side, but big box and Amazon have gutted retail.   Dense cities seem to be a third category.  Any idea why?      Land too expensive for franchises and too much theft for Amazon?    

10 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

It's interesting to see which states have Walmart as the largest private employer.

https://qz.com/924056/walmart-wmt-is-the-largest-private-employer-in-19-states/

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/walmart-nation-largest-employers/

There was a Walmart in Oakland but it shut down. The mayor said words to the effect of hasta la vista, baby.

6 minutes ago, Lark said:

Interesting,   Suburbs are the worst, mostly franchises and big box stores exist.    Rural has a niche where the franchises business models don’t show enough profit on the service side, but big box and Amazon have gutted retail.   Dense cities seem to be a third category.  Any idea why?      Land too expensive for franchises and too much theft for Amazon?    

In Manhattan, and most of NYC actually, you can walk (and, boy, do people walk!) to every store you need within 5 minutes.  Pharmacy, bank x 3, women's clothes, men's clothes, hardware, deli x 2, grocery, pub x 5, Chinese restaurant x 3, jewelry, pizza, church x 3, hair salon, shoes, shoe repair, Starbucks, etc., etc.    And the owners know you after you've been there 6 months.  And the mix of stores repeat about every fifteen blocks.  

Apartments put in key coded boxes for package delivery.  Amazon is everywhere, regrettably, but people love shopping and walking and just being out on the street.  

You do have to go over to 1st Avenue to find a gas station.  

Many enlightened cities have a maximum size for box stores at about 20,000 SF, maybe up to 50,000 SF in some zones.  Or about 1/5th of what Walmart uses to destroy small competitors in it's target markets.  

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

In Manhattan, and most of NYC actually, you can walk to every store you need within 5 minutes.  Pharmacy, bank x 3, women's clothes, men's clothes, hardware, deli x 2, grocery, pub x 5, Chinese restaurant x 3, jewelry, pizza, church x 3, hair salon, shoes, shoe repair, Starbucks, etc., etc.    And the owners know you after you've been there 6 months.  And the mix of stores repeat about every fifteen blocks.  

Apartments put in key coded boxes for package delivery.  Amazon is everywhere, regrettably.  

You do have to go over to 1st Avenue to find a gas station.  

So the secret to a neighborhood atmosphere is making it Impossible to find a parking space?    That may be profound,   

5 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Someone told them to put all their money on Rancid Scrotum to finish 1st in the 2nd race at Give Me Free Guns, Trucks, and Cheeseburgers Park. Suckers.

8 minutes ago, Lark said:

So the secret to a neighborhood atmosphere is making it Impossible to find a parking space?    That may be profound,   

Harrassing the automobile is the first, best approach to making a livable city.  This has been known for years. 

In any decently matured city you've got shoe leather, bicycles, skateboards, electric scooters, busses, subways, taxis and rental cars.  You need a car to go see your granny on the old family farm every few months.  Add in bike lanes, transit lanes, woonerfs, pedestrian zones, public plazas and alternate side of the street parking and you're getting there.

24 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

It's interesting to see which states have Walmart as the largest private employer.

https://qz.com/924056/walmart-wmt-is-the-largest-private-employer-in-19-states/

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/walmart-nation-largest-employers/

There was a Walmart in Oakland but it shut down. The mayor said words to the effect of hasta la vista, baby.

Good for Oakland.    A previous small town I lived in died.     They fought to keep Walmart out prior to my moving there.   An old generation actually bought the land first and planted an orchard.   Two neighboring towns in opposite directions got Walmart’s, the middle town wasted away.   NAFTA also played a role, as the manufacturing all moved to Mexico.   Agriculture grew beyond local service jobs.    The town no longer had a reason to exist.    I was amazed Illinois made your list.    

1 minute ago, Lark said:

Good for Oakland.    A precious small town I lived in died.     They fought to keep Walmart out prior to my moving there.   An old generation actually bought the land first and planted an orchard.   Two neighboring towns in opposite directions got Walmart’s, the middle town wasted away.   NAFTA also played a role, as the manufacturing all moved to Mexico.   Agriculture grew beyond local service jobs.    The town no longer had a reason to exist.    I was amazed Illinois made your list.    

People vote with their wallet and with their ballot against their best interest.  Unfortunately the cheaper widget and/or the easy solution are shiny objects that seem irresistible.  

Here's quick little poly sci project someone should do:  Map the density of Walmarts with the density of tRump voters.  

6 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Harrassing the automobile is the first, best approach to making a livable city.  This has been known for years. 

In any decently matured city you've got shoe leather, bicycles, skateboards, electric scooters, busses, subways, taxis and rental cars.  You need a car to go see your granny on the old family farm every few months.  Add in bike lanes, transit lanes, woonerfs, pedestrian zones, public plazas and alternate side of the street parking and you're getting there.

If there is space to store the boats and the bike trail has woods, creeks and farm fields, you might convince me to move.

4 minutes ago, Lark said:

If there is space to store the boats and the bike trail has woods, creeks and farm fields, you might convince me to move.

City Island and Central Park took care of those for my family.  But Seattle or Portland might let you dip your tow in the urban waters.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:15 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Remove CA and NY and it's about a dead heat over the other 48

It is also a form of gerrymandering  

Biden got 84 electoral votes from California and New  York for  16,000,000 votes 

Lame Duck got 84 Electoral votes from Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida for only 12.5 million votes. 

Biden got 55 electoral votes for his 11,000,000 California votes 

Lame Duck got 55 electoral votes for his 7.4 million votes in Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Missouri

if California, Texas, Florida, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Missouri were  one state, Biden would have won it and received all the electoral votes 

But... He would not  get 26 of the senator’s electoral votes currently allotted  for the 13 separate states 

So, instead of the mega state having 187 electoral votes the megastate would only have 161 of the revised 257 needed to win. 

Using this years votes, 

Lame Duck would have 100 electoral votes 

Biden would have 412

The more you play with the numbers, the more it appears as a landslide 

America screamed YOU’RE FIRED!!!!