Stingray~

Practice Races This Week

9 hours ago, uflux said:

Ouch now that is a burn!!! :blink: (after the start 1st windward)

Two very different sail plans here. LR look to have a visibly smaller jib and main. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uflux said:

Ouch now that is a burn!!! :blink: (after the start 1st windward)

At 0:50 ->, NZ is sailing with both foils down?

20 hours ago, MrBump said:

Obviously AM mainsail was the heavy weather batwing one which suited the heavier air later in the day. Having said that it seems the TR is not lacking for pace in especially in the lighter airs. AC35 all over again? 

Yep, looks like a smaller heavy weather main and running a one size smaller foresail as well.  But they were sure getting pantsed as a result!

I wonder what the wind was, still a few whitecaps still around.

31 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Yep, there was a fair bit of that going on prestart 

27 minutes ago, Boybland said:

Yep, looks like a smaller heavy weather main and running a one size smaller foresail as well.  But they were sure getting pantsed as a result!

I wonder what the wind was, still a few whitecaps still around.

I wonder if that was always AM's plan for the day? To sail a little under powered? Did they have 2 sail plans happening during the day? Or only one? 

8 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yes everyone will say it's early but from what I saw I'll look forward to the challenger series and whoever gets to the final won't win a race. It will be an ugly AC from a spectactors point of view unless Burling allows the challenger to catch up occassionally. :D

PB lets them win the starts, that's quite gallant of him. Did it last time too, but was just to make the odds sweeter for me.

41 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Sandbagging

8 hours ago, jaysper said:

That's often the case whether it is the defenders or challengers that are stronger.

2003 - Etnz might as well have not turned up.

TNZ won this one too...

18 minutes ago, Indio said:

Sandbagging

Not sandbagging at around 4:05.  They either put the burners on or Prada puts the brakes on.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:23 AM, GeeJay said:

Our 12 year old granddaughter does indoor untethered rock climbing as a sport, overhangs and all.  I think the future is in good hands :lol:

Rock climbing.jpg

I am not sure that its the right thing to say about a 12 year old girl but she got some big balls.

Its nice to see kids and young people actually doing things and not just waste there life in front of the screen getting fat.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, vij said:

I am not sure that its the right thing to say about a 12 year old girl but she got some big balls.

Its nice to see kids and young people actually doing things with a bit of passion and not just waste there life in front of the screen getting fat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forourselves said:

It’ll definitely put the shits up the challengers, especially if ETNZ turns around and wins the ACWS and the Christmas race which, unless they have a breakdown (which to be fair, could happen) is highly likely. All teams will only get faster from now on with modifications and new foils etc still to be added. Roll on 6th of March! 

ETNZ had peaked too early in the past. Be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Two very different sail plans here. LR look to have a visibly smaller jib and main. 

Isnt that a form of sandbagging?

WetHog  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, WetHog said:

Isnt that a form of sandbagging?

Absolutely.  Team NZ went out with too much sail area, just to slow themselves down.

;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Absolutely.  Team NZ went out with too much sail area, just to slow themselves down.

;)

Draggy as fuck.

Good question! I can't find that info anywhere, although I suppose the assumption has to be that both practice start days were on E.

Edit: I still haven't had any word back on my accreditation and they haven't answered my emails. Applied for a place on the photo boat for today, but again, have heard nothing at this point.

• Like 2

Southwest change forecast is for this afternoon so maybe a shift to the inner part of the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup course C or D hope springs eternal.

Far less distance for the Pradaleks to travel.

AEF717D6-195A-46FD-87C2-B90A8A848173.png.6d955fb359984b725ed2b257b10a646f.png

23 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Good question! I can't find that info anywhere, although I suppose the assumption has to be that both practice start days were on E.

Edit: I still haven't had any word back on my accreditation and they haven't answered my emails. Applied for a place on the photo boat for today, but again, have heard nothing at this point.

Best of luck, squeaky wheel gets the oil

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Southwest change forecast is for this afternoon so maybe a shift to the inner part of the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup course C or D hope springs eternal.

Far less distance for the Pradaleks to travel.

AEF717D6-195A-46FD-87C2-B90A8A848173.png.6d955fb359984b725ed2b257b10a646f.png

Alternatively, and unfortunately, the eastern Course E wind looks okay this afternoon too :-( 

its was interesting being out on the water the other day

image.png.a575b1296c1ae633fc5eb524cd5e6171.png

(NOT TO SCALE)

3 sets of 'gates' set up - they only used the most downwind set for the starts - which confused me as I thought the start line was going to be the middle set

no buoys were set up for the public for the 'stay out zone' so it was pretty much a free for all. the public 100% behaved from what I saw and stayed out of the way, whenever the AC boats were near we just drifted about so not to make them second guess where we were going ... its reasonably hard to pick what angle they are going to go when going from zero to foiling so no point in motoring in zigzags to attempt to keep out of their way

it was a couple of the team chase boats that need to learn 50m/5knt rule as they can put out quite a bit of chop around the spectator fleet when they take off chasing

I was under the impression that these practices were set up as dry runs for everything so they can get the crowd management sorted as well as the media

I'm still waiting for someone with a decent radar to post up a tracking screen with the boats ... unfortunately the boat I was on didn't have one :(

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

Best of luck, squeaky wheel gets the oil

Thanks, plan at this stage is to turn up and, if necessary, be very squeaky ...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

its was interesting being out on the water the other day

image.png.a575b1296c1ae633fc5eb524cd5e6171.png

(NOT TO SCALE)

3 sets of 'gates' set up - they only used the most downwind set for the starts - which confused me as I thought the start line was going to be the middle set

no buoys were set up for the public for the 'stay out zone' so it was pretty much a free for all. the public 100% behaved from what I saw and stayed out of the way, whenever the AC boats were near we just drifted about so not to make them second guess where we were going ... its reasonably hard to pick what angle they are going to go when going from zero to foiling so no point in motoring in zigzags to attempt to keep out of their way

it was a couple of the team chase boats that need to learn 50m/5knt rule as they can put out quite a bit of chop around the spectator fleet when they take off chasing

I was under the impression that these practices were set up as dry runs for everything so they can get the crowd management sorted as well as the media

I'm still waiting for someone with a decent radar to post up a tracking screen with the boats ... unfortunately the boat I was on didn't have one :(

Nope, i think you'll have to get used to the chop...

Chase boat rules here

https://docs.google.com/a/acofficials.org/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YWNvZmZpY2lhbHMub3JnfGFjMzYtb2ZmaWNpYWwtbm90aWNlYm9hcmR8Z3g6OTkwNDkxNDUxNzkzZjZj

4 minutes ago, nav said:

yes in the corridor 20knts (which I assume is the area between the course boundary and the spectator boundary)

when they are within the spectator fleet they will have to abide by maritime regulations

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

;)

Or the opposite for LR and AM.

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

Applied for a place on the photo boat for today, but again, have heard nothing at this point.

Heard back, not looking good for today, damn it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Heard back, not looking good for today, damn it.

Speak to Bruno Trouble. He should get you aboard

• Like 1

I hope GBR can make it today.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, xander17 said:

Is there any indication which course they're going with today?

I haven't heard anything. I'm working from the office today so can't see them. But you can see them tow out on my webcam if you zoom in: https://oceanswims.nz/webcam

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Te Rehutai in the water Frackers and Amway still in the shed.

Can't see the Handbags.

Luna Rossa is in the water

6 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Te Rehutai in the water Frackers and Amway still in the shed.

Can't see the Handbags.

Hope Rita make it today.

So after one days practice what did we learn? Someone said the Kiwis went out with too much sail area and the other 2 too little..! So 3 professional AC boats went out with the wrong amount of sail area..? Nar I don't believe that for a minute as the Kiwis looked super fast. If we don't get to see the boats with the right amount of sail area (LOL) then these practice sessions are only about doing simulated racing. So what is the mindset of the 3 challengers? Do they really want to see how fast their boats are or do they already believe they have the tricks up their sleeves to win? And we need to see the Poms out there because everyone keeps saying they are slow? Let's hope something happens today that we can make sense of..........:o

Sandbagger.png

48 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

I haven't heard anything. I'm working from the office today so can't see them. But you can see them tow out on my webcam if you zoom in: https://oceanswims.nz/webcam

Pretty sweet work view you’ve got there!

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

So after one days practice what did we learn? Someone said the Kiwis went out with too much sail area and the other 2 too little..! So 3 professional AC boats went out with the wrong amount of sail area..? Nar I don't believe that for a minute as the Kiwis looked super fast. If we don't get to see the boats with the right amount of sail area (LOL) then these practice sessions are only about doing simulated racing. So what is the mindset of the 3 challengers? Do they really want to see how fast their boats are or do they already believe they have the tricks up their sleeves to win? And we need to see the Poms out there because everyone keeps saying they are slow? Let's hope something happens today that we can make sense of>

are you refering to Mainsail or Jibs?

the forecast was sposed to be 17knts so near upper end ... hence why AM has the small main on. the wind dropped to around 8knts at times that no one really expected

all teams did multiple Jib changes throughout the afternoon ... unless my eyes from 100m away were completely wrong

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Both Rita and Patriot are leaving things very late to get out to any of the Courses??

Just wandered through the viaduct. No sign that they're going out.

• Like 3

ETNZ have their main in the track already, they may sail to the course instead of tow all the way.

1 minute ago, mikenz2 said:

ETNZ have their main in the track already, they may sail to the course instead of tow all the way.

image.png.381029f94b978b4d9f56827351774c81.png

they have been towing out in this configuration. doing 20-25knts in a straight line is more efficient than sailing to the course

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Lickindip said:

are you refering to Mainsail or Jibs?

the forecast was sposed to be 17knts so near upper end ... hence why AM has the small main on. the wind dropped to around 8knts at times that no one really expected

all teams did multiple Jib changes throughout the afternoon ... unless my eyes from 100m away were completely wrong

Did any of the boats do main and jib changes during the day? When you say no one really expected, didn't the Kiwis have the same sail plan all day? If so they seem to have expected the wind dropping? 

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

Did any of the boats do main and jib changes during the day? When you say no one really expected, didn't the Kiwis have the same sail plan all day? If so they seem to have expected the wind dropping? 

from what i saw:

no teams changed mains

all teams changed jibs

my 'no one expected' was from weather forecasts that I saw from about 10am before I headed into town to jump on the boat. most had 14-17knts avg

i suspect the teams may have a better handle on the weather then I

also in these lead up races I don't think teams will be scrambling to change out mains ... when it gets serious you will probably see a spare main or 2 on support boats for 'just in case' reasons

13 minutes ago, Rangi said:

Media are quoting that NYYC and Ineos not going out today. Ineos "broke something" on day one and not repaired yet. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-british-and-us-challengers-in-doubt-to-take-part-in-first-practice-races/OELBRFPNLO5JQMP7FX5F3O7NGM/

Looks like ETNZ did put the shits up the challengers. For teams that have been harping on about how critical time on the water is, first chance to actually have a hit out and they don’t show.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Looks like ETNZ did put the shits up the challengers. For teams that have been harping on about how critical time on the water is, first chance to actually have a hit out and they don’t show.

Or perhaps they just broke something and it isn't fixed yet..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Did someone post this already? 

Trying to reassure the LR faithful that they didn't really get an ass whipping from ETNZ...

18 hours ago, kenergy said:

Yep, there was a fair bit of that going on prestart 

Maybe to reduce the risk of being forced off the foils during pre-start maneuvers?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ripple Rider said:

Wind looks promising.

Some serious gusts ran through here about 10 mins ago. Hopefully nobody was up the mast when those hit the course area!

Edit: Start delayed by 1 hour apparently.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Oh please. That’s not any of that article implies.

59 minutes ago, Rangi said:

Or perhaps they just broke something and it isn't fixed yet..

Put the shoe on the other foot. If ETNZ was a no show, the unfounded baseless rumours of the Kiwi's being "scared" and "having issues within the team" would be rife in here. 

Course E it is until the ACWS starts on the 17th.

Ineos Team UK and American Magic will not take part in today's practice on the same course and regatta director Iain Murray says both teams are looking unlikely to have resolved problems with their boats before tomorrow.

"I think whatever's going on with the English and the Americans, I'm not sure that either of those teams are 100% confident they'll be there tomorrow," Murray told NZME.

"They're not ready. I think the British broke their boat on the first day and I still don't think it's recovered from that."

The depleted lineup, as well as delays due to strong winds in Auckland, has left Murray recommending that sailing fans wait until tomorrow, or further race practices on Monday and Tuesday, to take a closer look at the AC75 mega-boats.

"It's pretty windy out there and there's been a delay of the boats wanting to go out today, so it's going to be a late day and it's probably not the best day to come.

"It's probably better to come tomorrow, or Monday or Tuesday, when the boats are there in a more formal situation."

All of the practice sessions before the World Series begins on December 17 will take place on Course E, off Maraetai, and typically begin mid-to-late afternoon.

Given AM at least, had no problem showing off in big breeze the last few weeks, it seems strange they weren't keen to outshine the Kiwi's today.

1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

Maybe to reduce the risk of being forced off the foils during pre-start maneuvers?

Or maybe just to get back as deep into the starting box as possible?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Given AM at least, had no problem showing off in big breeze the last few weeks, it seems strange they weren't keen to outshine the Kiwi's today.

I think the kiwis spooked them into further changes.

42 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Put the shoe on the other foot. If ETNZ was a no show, the unfounded baseless rumours of the Kiwi's being "scared" and "having issues within the team" would be rife in here. 

You mean, like that time they went out for their first day’s sailing and had difficulty getting the main up, and everyone told us they’d launched a piece of shit?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Clarkey- do you ever just shut the fuck up?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

56 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Crikey Clarkey consistently fanatical as ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

Clarkey- do you ever just shut the fuck up?

Nope. Are you looking forward to March as much as I am?

• Like 1

Crikey Clarkey fanatical as ever some things never change.

cant fix stupid.

• Like 1

Crikey Clarkey fanatical as ever some things never change.

3 true statements though.

• Like 1

Just now, bigrpowr said:

cant fix stupid.

Only a stupid person tries to fix something that aint broken.

BFD...  shit happens and stuff breaks.  You do not have to be so defensive about your team and make up conspiracies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

BFD...  shit happens and stuff breaks.  You do not have to be so defensive about your team and make up conspiracies.

when the IQ is sub 100 ..  they say things that dont make sense. #fanatic

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

3 true statements though.

I agree. They are supposed to be using these things in anger next week, and theres been how many proper starts and courses sailed?

1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

Alky every village has it's quota of idiots luckily here the numbers are a constant Clarkey never surprises.

3 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

At least I know where I stand. Yes, I am a Fanboy of ETNZ. I have been since 1987. Others like ^^this guy right here who throw shade at Dalton/ the AC75/ ETNZ/ or anything else they can think of that will make them feel better will continue to talk crap, BUT won't pick a team of their own to support because they're too scared they're going to lose. 

My Team have won in the past, and they've lost in the past, but they're still my team. Can you say the same?

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

At least I know where I stand. Yes, I am a Fanboy of ETNZ. I have been since 1987. Others like ^^this guy right here who throw shade at Dalton/ the AC75/ ETNZ/ or anything else they can think of that will make them feel better will continue to talk crap, BUT won't pick a team of their own to support because they're too scared they're going to lose. 

My Team have won in the past, and they've lost in the past, but they're still my team. Can you say the same?

Clarkey your efforts remind me of this,

when I was a boy I used to dream of becoming the village idiot. I used to lie in bed and imagine myself the happy idiot able to get food easily ...and easy sympathy, a planned confusion of not too much love or effort. some would claim that I have succeeded.

Charles Bukowski

^ Hmmm. Sounds encouraging for, ETNZ. Either that or the Handbags are full of sand.

"Doing practice starts under the eye of regatta officials once again, Team New Zealand controlled the opening exchange. In the second “race” they were in complete control against the Italians and in their third duel, used a burst of starling speed to overhaul them."

Where's the video of the "starling' speed, whatever the fuck that is?

• Like 1

I think starling speed is a bit faster than seagull speed.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Teaky said:

"starling' speed, whatever the fuck that is?

I know we use seagulls in here, but Stuff obviously have their own speed gauges using starlings.

• Like 5