Stingray~

Practice Races This Week

America’s Cup defenders Team New Zealand have the honour of starting the first official practice in the new AC75 boats on Tuesday.

Regatta director Iain Murray has called the session on for Tuesday afternoon with Team New Zealand up first up at 3.10pm, having the starting zone for three practice starts until 3.40pm.

Teams are officially allowed to engage opposition for the first time with the Course E zone, situated between Maraetai Beach and Waiheke Island, chosen for the historic moment.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/123631390/americas-cup-team-new-zealand-kick-off-first-official-practice

From the webcam, looks like UK, NYYC, ETNZ are headed out to play.. sometimes that camera is zoomed out, but I'm 100% where LR's base is...

I wish I had abandoned ship to NZ and could watch the show first hand...

Just now, atwinda said:

From the webcam, looks like UK, NYYC, ETNZ are headed out to play.. sometimes that camera is zoomed out, but I'm 100% where LR's base is...

I wish I had abandoned ship to NZ and could watch the show first hand...

LR are also in the water (their base isn't visible on any public webcams).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Markers are on the way. NYYC just towed out of the harbour.

1220534.thumb.jpg.5c55008ca2ca8bc33bfbf125e53fa6ea.jpg

well. there goes any level of focus I will have on work for the rest of the day...

• Like 2

They're all out here, looks like there's a TV camera on a cherry picker on top of the headland

• Like 2

^ obviously differs from reality..marine forecast is 20kt. 

That being said, there is a wind plume from mission Bay area that if lined up right could be making it pretty fresh at bean rock.

Need someone with that fancy app and it's 6 real time stations.

10 minutes ago, barfy said:

That being said, there is a wind plume from mission Bay area that if lined up right could be making it pretty fresh at bean rock.

Just go stand outside :rolleyes:

It's windy... it's gusty

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, barfy said:

image.thumb.png.fcc7a0c9180e33ed4c3a668b8a802dce.png

• Like 1

Sorry peeps they were too far away to get any shots worth posting. But a bloody awesome sight, all four of them in view at the same time without needing to turn my head. ETNZ were hooning it absolutely smoked past LR, long way off so hard to me sure LR were trying...

I'm late to the party... is there any coverage of the practice?

[edit] Still catching up on comments... sounds like the answer is no?

3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I'm late to the party... is there any coverage of the practice?

It’s right here! 

Wind is looking good so far by the posts above. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s right here! 

Just as well we have SA!  

I would have thought that with the zillions spent on the AC, they would fork out for some pro coverage, instead of leaving for the enthusiasts!

2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Just as well we have SA!  

I would have thought that with the zillions spent on the AC, they would fork out for some pro coverage, instead of leaving for the enthusiasts!

Sure, understood.

The pro coverage will come, am very confident about that. For early-days it’s almost more fun to hear from only the local enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

Somewhere around 5 knots at our place overlooking Coromandel harbour so there's a bit of variation in the region.  Wish we'd gone fishing now!

Thank you MikeNZ. Are you on Musick Point ? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question  ) I’m looking at the small screen on my phone 

1 minute ago, elliot749 said:

Thank you MikeNZ. Are you on Musick Point ? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question  ) I’m looking at the small screen on my phone 

No, in hindsight that'd be a better option. I'm near beachlands.

Cheers. My boat partner is chugging out there in our keeler past Musick pount.  I’m stuck at home about to take kids to swim club. Bugger shit poor timing 

2 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

Cheers. My boat partner is chugging out there in our keeler past Musick pount.  I’m stuck at home about to take kids to swim club. Bugger shit poor timing 

should have taken then out on the boat and told them to swim home.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It’s right here! 

Well put Stinger!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCARECROW said:

should have taken then out on the boat and told them to swim home.

They’re just cycled home from school . My peace is gone now , off to the pool. Damn

but I have asked my guys to send video etc ASAP so will see how we go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

They’re just cycled home from school . My peace is gone now , off to the pool. Damn

but I have asked my guys to send video etc ASAP so will see how we go. 

You kiwis have gotten soft.  Shit you might never win another world cup!

• Like 1

Looks like they are practicing prestart at the moment.  ETNZ at it with AM ducking in to play now and again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

You kiwis have gotten soft.  Shit you might never win another world cup!

Our 12 year old granddaughter does indoor untethered rock climbing as a sport, overhangs and all.  I think the future is in good hands :lol:

Rock climbing.jpg

• Like 10

9knts out there at present. Just had a video chat to my friends. They are about to film Prada and will hopefully forward that to me

NZ and AM have shot up from the start line at full speed , but both stopped and having a chat ! Didn’t get to top Mark apparently 

Ineos headed home possibly 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

9knts out there at present. Just had a video chat to my friends. They are about to film Prada and will hopefully forward that to me

NZ and AM have shot up from the start line at full speed , but both stopped and having a chat ! Didn’t get to top Mark apparently 

Ineos headed home possibly 

American Magic not wasting time with the challengers going after the big fish right away..! :D

• Like 1

Unbelievable that some enterprising kiwi is not live streaming from a smartphone on facetime or WhatsApp.

All you have to do is open Facebook live and transmit, hopefully with some commentary of what you are seeing. 

4 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Unbelievable that some enterprising kiwi is not live streaming from a smartphone on facetime or WhatsApp or 

They're way out there! If I did from my phone it'd look like this:

IMG_20201208_160613_750-01.thumb.jpeg.fb7ffe6f54e48cd4c341c0edccc93727.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mikenz2 said:

Similar to my view. 

5 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

Thank you for the offer.

3 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

Pretty much not worth posting sorry. . . . Live from course 4.05 pm NZT

Well, that's enough for me to pick the winner of the cup. B)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

Pretty much not worth posting sorry. . . . Live from course 4.05 pm NZT

There is no second???

1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

Just as well we have SA!  

In that distant post above, you should be able to make out the progressive twist on the 134m sq Jib1, the slot effect derived from it, the resulting RM progression given the foil cant and flap attack angle, and the reason for that idiot’s choice to suddenly tack even though it was into a freaking header.. we are counting on you! 

• Like 2

Today was a trial day - official practice for all PRO, mark teams as well as the sailors. The Paddock is a decent run from the main marinas and the city - 10 NM aprox. Even in non peak it is getting on for an hour drive by car.

1 minute ago, Jono said:

Today was a trial day - official practice for all PRO, mark teams as well as the sailors. The Paddock is a decent run from the main marinas and the city - 10 NM aprox. Even in non peak it is getting on for an hour drive by car.

Yep, it's deliberately is the least spectator friendly spot!

1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

Just as well we have SA!  

Today is also the practice day for the pro coverage. They need a fair chance to sort their stuff out too. Today's the first test of all the tech running in a real world scenario.

Helicopter is up, media boats on the water. On board cameras active etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

In that distant post above, you should be able to make out the progressive twist on the 134m sq Jib1, the slot effect derived from it, the resulting  RM progression, and the reason for the choice to suddenly tack even though it was into a header. 

Is that a new uptiP starboard foil on LR?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Windskip said:

Is that a new uptiP starboard foil on LR?

Yes! Thank Gawd it’s only practice! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, but thank Gawd it’s only practice! 

Praise The Lord?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Windskip said:

Praise The Lord?

:D Great fun. 

Wish I was there in Nirvana Zealand.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

These two are going at it! Taken from the Pine Harbor ferry on my way home.

RT running a bigger jib.

55 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Are spectator boats not allowed in the area?

A bunch of windsurfers sailed right through, I would say that you could get anywhere outside the actual course boundaries. 

37 minutes ago, Jono said:

I got a nice spot 10 mins away from my office.

I like course E :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kenergy said:

I got a nice spot 10 mins away from my office.

I like course E :)

How did it look to you??

pretty sure it was about that time i heard the unmistakable sound of the handle snapping on a handbag

19 minutes ago, desprit said:

ETNZ were 24 seconds ahead after the first lap.

Handbag must be sandbagging...... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, uflux said:

How did it look to you??

Hard to tell, I left my binoculars at home. 

But I think it's going to be fucking spectacular. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

In that distant post above, you should be able to make out the progressive twist on the 134m sq Jib1, the slot effect derived from it, the resulting RM progression given the foil cant and flap attack angle, and the reason for that idiot’s choice to suddenly tack even though it was into a freaking header.. we are counting on you! 

Easy...   twist is one pixel,  there is no slot,  foil cant is below one sea pixel...  Howzat?

• Like 3

They all looked like they were enjoying themselves out there getting together at long last - well, except for Britannia II:)

• Like 1

well the only inference I can make from all that is that Rita is so fast they dont want anyone to see her :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

It was a little practice of the actual practice round starting on Thursday, FFS!! Nobody in their right mind would claim anyone of the four three was "on top"...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indio said:

It was a little practice of the actual practice round starting on Thursday, FFS!! Nobody in their right mind would claim anyone of the four three was "on top"...

I was on the water and in the last race between Luna Rosa and TNZ they both did a full lap, ETNZ seemed to have a noticeable edge in height and depth. Starting to windward but behind off LR's hip, ETNZ sailed a high mode and passed LR by the first cross. This slowly stretched to the top mark, downwind, ETNZ sailed noticeably deeper. 

• Like 7

America's Cup 2021: AUT's sailing professor Mark Orams on the first day of official practice racing - and the team that impressed the most

OPINION by AUT's Sailing Professor Mark Orams

We've been a long time waiting for this day - to see these new AC75 yachts line up against each other on a race course.

It was both impressive and a little scary at the same time.

It's all very well watching these boats sail on their own in a straight line, as we have seen over the past few months, but when two of them enter a starting box at a combined closing speed of well over 100 km per hour it gets very real, very quickly.

I can't help thinking of the carnage if something went wrong with a control system or if someone makes a mistake. Perhaps I will get used to it – but seeing this at close proximity with the boats flying at high speeds for the first time found me forgetting to breathe for a few seconds!

I watched two starts today between Team New Zealand and American Magic.

While the points were evenly split, the Dean Barker-helmed American Magic impressed me. They looked the slickest boat out there in terms of manoeuvres and were more aggressive than I expected. Perhaps their confidence is because they are the team who has had the most time out sailing their version two boat. They look the most "race-ready" at this early stage.

Team New Zealand appeared more conservative and cautious, but Peter Burling's second start was a close dip behind American Magic. After about a minute both boats tacked and converged with Te Rehutai crossing comfortably ahead and three minutes or so later they had extended even further. It was a nice check in and confidence booster for the Kiwis.

When TNZ and Luna Rossa lined up, I thought the Italians had a slight edge upwind, but I had the reverse impression when both yachts turned downwind, with Te Rehutai able to sail a noticeably lower angle and make faster progress towards the bottom mark. Both boats looked smooth and balanced in their flight.

When Luna Rossa and American Magic lined up they were quite some distance away but from where I was situated, the Italians did look pretty comfortable speed wise.

Team INEOS UK did not participate in the race practice today staying under tow with only their mainsail up. Perhaps they had a problem or were content to sit and watch. I think the former is more likely because after long hours testing and sailing alone, and with the Christmas Cup starting in a little over a week, every opportunity to practice racing is precious.

Overall, my impression is that this America's Cup will not only be about straight-line speed. These AC75s are so fast they reach the boundaries of the race course and start box very quickly and are forced to turn. If in turning they splash down, or especially if they fall off the foils, they are dead in the water and the opponent will fly off into the horizon for a convincing race win.

So, the ability to turn and stay flying will be a key aspect of this contest. Doing so in race conditions when you have turning marks, race course boundaries and especially an opponent who might force you into a high risk manoeuvre will be very important.

Race practice is the best way to learn this – and the challengers have a lot more of this than Team New Zealand.

I have huge respect for and faith in the racing skills of Burling, Blair Tuke, Glenn Ashby and the crew – but this Christmas Cup series is really important for them to hone their skills and learn how the race these flying machines. It's the only chance they will get so they need to make the most of it.

Today was a big step forward in this 36th America's Cup and seeing all the boats out there created a tremendous sense of excitement. This is cutting edge stuff, sailing as we've never seen it before. It's history in the making, and little old New Zealand is leading the way.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-auts-sailing-professor-mark-orams-on-the-first-day-of-official-practice-racing-and-the-team-that-impressed-the-most/XVX6PDYZK6WWNW3XM4UVB5G5MI/

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

LR couldn't match how deep ETNZ were sailing. They had a ”moment” at around 3:30 then sailed higher.

• Like 1