Machsquad

Cold weather boots.

Recommended Posts

I am looking for recommendations on what is a good cold weather boot, about -10c. I am having a hard time deciding and all the articles I have found seem to be written with no relevant information. Does anyone have some they would recommend? or ones they would not. I plan to keep sailing through the winter and the boots I am using now are leaving black marks all over the deck and cock pit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy your favorite non-marking sea boots that are waterproof and a size or two too large.  Wear extra pairs of socks.  I wear two regular pairs of socks on cool days, three pairs on extra cool days, with the base layer being thin merino wool.

Some of these look like they would work well:  https://www.icebreaker.com/en-ca/mens-socks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Buy your favorite non-marking sea boots that are waterproof and a size or two too large.  Wear extra pairs of socks.  I wear two regular pairs of socks on cool days, three pairs on extra cool days, with the base layer being thin merino wool.

Some of these look like they would work well:  https://www.icebreaker.com/en-ca/mens-socks

Make sure the boots are loose enough that the socks are not compressed. If so they quit working and blood flow gets cut off.

JJ

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

Buy your favorite non-marking sea boots that are waterproof and a size or two too large.  Wear extra pairs of socks.  I wear two regular pairs of socks on cool days, three pairs on extra cool days, with the base layer being thin merino wool.

Some of these look like they would work well:  https://www.icebreaker.com/en-ca/mens-socks

Simple and effective, ok thank you.

42 minutes ago, johnsonjay17 said:

Make sure the boots are loose enough that the socks are not compressed. If so they quit working and blood flow gets cut off.

JJ

yes tight footwear is the end of warmth.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask Ashley Perrin or Skip Novak.  Easy to find them.  They live and work and explore in high latitudes.  They're the experts. 

Good boots up there (or down there) are life-savers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your talking the white rubber things the militaries use to issue? 

Bunny Boots ECW Mickey Mouse GI | Armynavysales Army Navy Sales

I have never tried them, used the white mukluks lots but they aren't very water proof 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to sail in riggerboots with wool liner and with a PU sole. Even on wet steel I still had grip.

But they are not that high and in combo with my trousers, that was not a good combo in heavy seas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much all Alaskan fisherman are wearing Xtratufs. They make them insulated and non-insulated. They're durable, agile, pretty cheap. Grundens makes foul weather gear that is a lot cheaper than any sailing brand, and a lot more functional as well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grimoire said:

Pretty much all Alaskan fisherman are wearing Xtratufs. They make them insulated and non-insulated. They're durable, agile, pretty cheap. Grundens makes foul weather gear that is a lot cheaper than any sailing brand, and a lot more functional as well. 

Thank you! I have a hard time justifying a $500 jacket or boots when I will trash them in a season (looking at you north face!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the commercial fishing stores in BC. Any large port will have one. I also use rubber gloves in winter. I bought about a dozen pair of polypropylene liners for them for about $4 bucks a pair. I just swap liners when they get soaked, and the liners dry quickly. They are cheap, durable and have great grip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of "bogs", which are nice and thick but not insulated.  +1 on the comment, above, to get boots big enough to accomodate a couple of layers of warm socks.  As far as I'm concerned, the main purpose of the boots is to keep my socks dry.,...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tender said:

...or snowmobile boots. 

Marking isn't issue when using snowmobile...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorels 

Wait you didn't mean for sailing??  Dude. -10c is not the time.  Either wait for the water to thaw, or head south till you see a palm tree, then launch the boat

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 3:57 PM, some dude said:

Sorels 

I got my first Sorels for this winter. They would be good for sailing when you are active as the fit (and sizing) is quite tight. But I would get some other boots if I would be standing around for longer periods. I haven't tested how waterproof these are, so no comment on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 5:57 AM, some dude said:

Sorels 

Wait you didn't mean for sailing??  Dude. -10c is not the time.  Either wait for the water to thaw, or head south till you see a palm tree, then launch the boat

Water doesn't freeze on the lake here, well it hasn't since the 50s or 60s so not a issue. I have sorels and baffins but they are not agile and are not much for support. I am usually sailing solo so being able to move around quickly is often needed, wearing insulated bricks on my feet is not ideal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, grimoire said:

Check out the commercial fishing stores in BC. Any large port will have one. I also use rubber gloves in winter. I bought about a dozen pair of polypropylene liners for them for about $4 bucks a pair. I just swap liners when they get soaked, and the liners dry quickly. They are cheap, durable and have great grip

I will look and see what is available online from any where on the coast. As for gloves I have been doing fine with my summer gloves so far but have been looking into something with fingers as the short fingers are plenty warm when tacking but after awhile of sailing down wind they get cool.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 13, 2020 at 5:07 PM, Machsquad said:

I am looking for recommendations on what is a good cold weather boot, about -10c. I am having a hard time deciding and all the articles I have found seem to be written with no relevant information. Does anyone have some they would recommend? or ones they would not. I plan to keep sailing through the winter and the boots I am using now are leaving black marks all over the deck and cock pit.

Uggs

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

definitely look at places that supply commercial fisherman - i got a nice pair of insulated boots at hamilton marine for a lot less than any sailing boots - they're a bit stiffer than I'd love,  especially for dinghy sailing, but for sailing our keelboat and taking long watches in cold weather they are the shit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an earlier poster said, BFG Xtra-tuffs, Alaskan tennis shoes. When they crack where they bend (ankle area), and they will, cut the tops off and you got Alaskan slippers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 1:48 PM, sledracr said:

I have a pair of "bogs", which are nice and thick but not insulated.  +1 on the comment, above, to get boots big enough to accomodate a couple of layers of warm socks.  As far as I'm concerned, the main purpose of the boots is to keep my socks dry.,...

+1 for the Bogs.  They look ridiculous and large, but they are warm, dry, have excellent grip, are non-marking, and are a fraction of the cost of Dubary's or similar.  I've had mine for several seasons of winter sailing in the Salish Sea and have never had cold feet with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boots like Sorels make no sense at all for keeping your feet warm if you are active. I have never owned Dubarrys but leather makes a lot more sense than rubber. Rubber does not breath so when your feet sweat it cant get out so the big thick wool liners get wet and then the rubber does a great job of conducting the cold into your boot, it does not work. Uninsulated leather boots with thick wool socks and air space make for a much warmer boot which is why Dubarrys seem ideal, bit spendy though. The Sorel and others of the same style only work if you are stationary and not producing sweat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the XtraTuffs. I have a pair that has lasted me already for years. I have the ones without the inner insulation which I also use on hikes or whenever I have to walk the kids to school in the rain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now