LordBooster

IOR landfills?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

 

Anyone still think restoring an old glass boat is expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

I agree. It is a strange behavior. Kind of heart-less, almost destructive. The yacht Animal Farm is just one example. Take a look at this one:

 

 policecardubois.jpg.18b32e76a91d2435330f2601d72af1f3.jpg

Police Car - didn't someone restore that fairly recently?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Sister to Golden Apple of the Sun

Apparently too literate for you - it's Yeats

 

Golden Apple was converted into a cruising boat by well known local yacht designer Phil Atkinson and he and is wife Fay did a circumnavigation in it 25 years ago. We spent some time with them in Greece when we were cruising until Fay and my wife saw our respective cruising funds about to go into the coffers of a local taverna. It was a great boat provided that you didn't really enjoy standing up down below.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

FB_IMG_1608148918260.jpg

The radio skeds must have been a nightmare for everyone. A mayday call would take 15 mins before you got to the position.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Somewhere I have a VHS sailing PRETTY PENNY in those conditions!

If you ever find it... I will transfer it.  Maybe one of the best half tonners ever made. Certainly one of the best to be sailed shorthanded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 12:58 AM, LordBooster said:

The IOR sailing was popular in the 70’s and 80’s. But the use of extreme materials made these yachts expensive. Soon one-design classes took over. However, it did not take long before one could get two old IOR-yachts to the same price as of one of those one-design yachts. Thus, somewhat of a revival for old IOR yachts have taken place. Both quarter- and half ton cup are held again under IRC. Old boats are looked for all over the world to be renovated, such as Fauroux-designed quarter-tonners, or Farr-designed half-tonners. A number of old IOR yachts made from good materials exist on the market, usually to reasonable prices. However, the yachts may need renovation. For example, a yacht fell off its jack and onto her side, breaking stringers and puncturing the hull. Another example is yachts beached in a storm and considered an insurance write off, with lots of damage to the hull and holes in the deck. However, yachts can saved from the chainsaws, and avoid to end up as landfill. Thus, one can do the environment a good turn by getting these boats out of the water, getting them out of people’s backyards, and salvaging boats. The present Facebook group “IOR landfills?” tries to create interest on yachts that can be saved in time, and the it’s members are welcomed to make contributions on the following site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541

 

My lord, we have been remiss in not welcoming you properly to sailing anarchy. It could be that a previous Peer of the realm that came on here (Lord Dubinator of Kellet island) left a rather nasty taste in the mouth of many. (Masterbating monkey shit IIRC) So we are hosting a little welcome soiree to make up for our lack of hospitality. So come on in and meet some of the guys.

Lord Booster I would like to to meet...

 

 

 

 

4qnqy8.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LB 15 said:

My lord, we have been remiss in not welcoming you properly to sailing anarchy. It could be that a previous Peer of the realm that came on here (Lord Dubinator of Kellet island) left a rather nasty taste in the mouth of many. (Masterbating monkey shit IIRC) So we are hosting a little welcome soiree to make up for our lack of hospitality. So come on in and meet some of the guys.

Lord Booster I would like to to meet...

 

 

 

 

4qnqy8.jpg

Nice to meet you guys!

Regards,

LordBooster

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How can people let hugely expensive possessions get like that?

It's like leaving a Ferrari in a field to rot.

The owner(s) have their reasons none of which were "Plan A"

I'm sure money was involved...either too much or too little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my family's former qt (circa mid80s), a pablo cibert design built in cold-molded red cedar.

my father on deck in the first pic, some local racing in the others.

 

Duende_+_Ecúme_de_Mér.png

Duende_SLS2.png

Duende_no_Guaíba.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Trovão said:

my family's former qt (circa mid80s), a pablo cibert design built in cold-molded red cedar.

my father on deck in the first pic, some local racing in the others.

 

Duende_+_Ecúme_de_Mér.png

Duende_SLS2.png

Duende_no_Guaíba.png

Brazil?!

I have googled on the designer Pablo Cibert. I am not sure if the yacht is the same as yours, but he used to work for German Frers:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=81305

“John: the boat is not that big! It's a 25.5 footer. Named Magnum, which was her name since she was launched in 1992, so she's younger than most fiberglass boats around here. The boat was designed by the late Pablo Cibert, who worked for Germán Frers and Ithurbide, two great boat designers here, before working on his own studio. Pablo Cibert designed a lot of beautiful wooden boats but he lived to see the birth of fiberglass so he also designed some boats that were built in fiberglass, both wooden and FG sail beautifully, he was a great designer no doubt.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Brazil?!

I have googled on the designer Pablo Cibert. I am not sure if the yacht is the same as yours, but he used to work for German Frers:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=81305

“John: the boat is not that big! It's a 25.5 footer. Named Magnum, which was her name since she was launched in 1992, so she's younger than most fiberglass boats around here. The boat was designed by the late Pablo Cibert, who worked for Germán Frers and Ithurbide, two great boat designers here, before working on his own studio. Pablo Cibert designed a lot of beautiful wooden boats but he lived to see the birth of fiberglass so he also designed some boats that were built in fiberglass, both wooden and FG sail beautifully, he was a great designer no doubt.”

 

 

no, not the same design as ours, but similar. yes, cibert worked for frers (as most or all argentinian designers) before getting his own studio. there are quite a bunch of boats built to his designs here in southern brazil, more so in argentina and also uruguay, to a lesser extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 9:12 PM, LordBooster said:

 

1574847183_Silver20janvGoergeIstedIOR.jpg.5f4cfbea9bb203514b7dc12ecb35bae9.jpg

How big do you want the wheel? max beam/2  Perfect, we’ve got an extra wheel from an IOR 55 that we can jamb into your IOR 40. Why can’t we have normal sized wheels?  The hydrodynamic forces on the rudder from a lumpy bumpy IOR hull doing power oscillations rocketing downwind under kite are extreme.Typically a stout tiller would be rapidly pulled towards one’s chin in a failed attempt to prevent a death defying broach. 

Do we really need that many winches? More is better to smash your face or  knee on when doing the broach. Why use cleats or jammers when you can have 14 winches.

The pit guy is the only one who has memorised all of the halyards, toppers and extra lines we never use. If we leave him at the dock we are fucked. By the time the new guy figures out that the halyard isn’t the topper we’ll be dragging the kite for 2/10ths of a nautical mile. Fuck there goes our 3 second advantage on the competition. Man I miss IOR

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Wheels,  yep.  I sailed an 80 foot Maxi that had a pump on the wheel well because it went below the waterline!

Lots of winches,  why no cleats or jammers,  none had been developed capable of taking the load at the time.  One 65 footer (used to be called a "Pocket Maxi"), had the halyards go to snubbing winches so the halyards could be cleated to free the halyard winch.  This meant 4 extra little winches,  but 2 less big ones,  a small net gain.

And yeah the pit guy should have been the best,  but the whole cockpit crew & mid deck, should have known the pit well enough to fill in ALMOST as well.  Back then crews generally stuck with the boat and even mid flitters showed the sort of crew work that you only see among the best today.  How long is it since most crews did a shy to shy gybe or a gybe peel,  things most crews did at a moments notice in the IOR days.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, LB 15 said:

My lord, we have been remiss in not welcoming you properly to sailing anarchy. It could be that a previous Peer of the realm that came on here (Lord Dubinator of Kellet island) left a rather nasty taste in the mouth of many. (Masterbating monkey shit IIRC) So we are hosting a little welcome soiree to make up for our lack of hospitality. So come on in and meet some of the guys.

Lord Booster I would like to to meet...

 

 

 

 

4qnqy8.jpg

Whatever happened to the original "greeting of new posters protocol" that required that the newbie should show all here assembled the breasts of his wife, life partner or significant other?

Surely not another treasured tradition gone by the wayside? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big wheels were so the helm could sit outboard far enough to see the jib  tell tales.

And stoppers didn't work on wire halyards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Whatever happened to the original "greeting of new posters protocol" that required that the newbie should show all here assembled the breasts of his wife, life partner or significant other?

Surely not another treasured tradition gone by the wayside? 

I was getting to that...And any opportunity to put shit on randumb is a good thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 8:33 AM, LB 15 said:

I am hearin' ya. I owned the Davidson 40 Blue Max for 5 years and found it to be a wonderful way of getting rid of all that unnecessary extra cash. I recall reading once that this guy had said he greatest fear was that he would die and his wife would sell his boat for what he had told her it was worth.

Ha, I raced against that a few years ago in a Lincoln regatta - we referred to it as the blue shitter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Ha, I raced against that a few years ago in a Lincoln regatta - we referred to it as the blue shitter

That was kind of you. I saw it on ebay a few years back for $20k. I have meet fat chicks with less spongy decks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Nice to meet you guys!

Regards,

LordBooster

 

Glad you enjoyed yourself the other night. While that trick of pissing in your own mouth showed some class, there were complaints. Now could we see a recent photo or your wife's, girlfriend's or sister's tits. Or all three six if you like.

Cheers,

The Welcoming Committee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

That was kind of you. I saw it on ebay a few years back for $20k. I have meet fat chicks with less spongy decks.

Scarlet Runner was referred to by the SMB boys as the big red shitter, so it carried on from there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, See Level said:

Big wheels were so the helm could sit outboard far enough to see the jib  tell tales.

And stoppers didn't work on wire halyards.

They had already made the transition to rope/wire halyards, unless you were on a beast. Hathaway’s in Stamford was already doing stripped Kevlar core halyards for the AC boats before 1980. 
 

I liked all those crazy IOR booms. My friend designed one that looked like a diagonal strutted I-beam. I wondered if they had considered someone getting their hand stuck in the thing during an auto gybe. That would ruin one’s day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Glad you enjoyed yourself the other night. While that trick of pissing in your own mouth showed some class, there were complaints. Now could we see a recent photo or your wife's, girlfriend's or sister's tits. Or all three six if you like.

Cheers,

The Welcoming Committee.

Cheers!

Well, I will do my best to keep up to your standards. The requested photos I fail to deliver, but I do my best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rum_Diary_(film)

This was what "sparrow" saw in that mirror:

5-0.thumb.jpg.8bb813cefb721ae7cffba10fd29062f4.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Ha, I raced against that a few years ago in a Lincoln regatta - we referred to it as the blue shitter

They were the dicks that stacked all their drawers, cushions, gear etc from inside their shitbox outside their rental accommodation to lighten their boat considerably for the last race so they could have the dubious honour of winning a pickle dish in their PHD division of Lincoln Week 2015.  Maybe they thought a couple hundred yachties walking past might not notice? So how do we know it was them? We watched them put it all back on board later.

IMG_2317.thumb.JPG.2874a9b53ab5adf925710d8c9f782dc6.JPG

 

Pic or it didn' t happen? Happy to oblige.

IMG_2464.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, longy said:

With the sail shape on that jib, they needed a lot of help

They try to go for bow-down trim. Full camber in the lower parts of the jib and probably a lot of twist.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, longy said:

There's no twist in that leach, and the car is all the way aft.

Yes, they have the car all the way aft, I agree with you. Hard to judge the degree of weather-helm without a tiller in place. But looking at the helmsman's body-language it reveals weather-helm. I zoomed in on his left knee. They guy is struggling. Soon he will need a titan-implant. Well, we cannot ask to much of these guys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bow guy is the smart one. He’s wearing the yellow foulies. Somebody might see him in the drink after he falls off the pulpit. 
 

What’s going on with the tails of the bowline knots on the jib clew? It looks like they are at least a foot long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Yes, they have the car all the way aft, I agree with you. Hard to judge the degree of weather-helm without a tiller in place. But looking at the helmsman's body-language it reveals weather-helm. I zoomed in on his left knee. They guy is struggling. Soon he will need a titan-implant. Well, we cannot ask to much of these guys.

 

Well, as one can see the rudder, and the flow on both sides is nice & smooth, it's close to straight on the centerline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, Matagi said:

If I read the Waverider story correctly, the accident was in 2014? And now, she sails?

 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:37 PM, LordBooster said:

 “the boat will be painted next week and is registered for the Half Ton Classics Cup 2018” 

 

they did, they finished 5th iirc, first of the vintages.

In 202(0)1 they will sail again in Cowes

On 12/16/2020 at 11:19 PM, WGWarburton said:

Next year, 2021, halftoncup in Cowes. You are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

You can see the turk's head on the wheel; it's only a shade to weather.

Yes, I agree. Well, maybe the guys have found the famous super-trim "in Swedish: Skota med kräm". A translation is difficult and can be misleading, but I will give it a try: "Sheet with cream". The famous Swedish sailor, which I just quoted, adopted this for bow-down. Totally un-twisted leach. He pointed 5 degrees lower than usual, but ended up higher. Nobody could figure out what the secret was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gewoon ik said:

 

they did, they finished 5th iirc, first of the vintages.

In 202(0)1 they will sail again in Cowes

Next year, 2021, halftoncup in Cowes. You are welcome.

Thanks!

I am currently trying to locate the half-tonner "Butterfly" designed by Peter Norlin. It was 4:th at Worlds in Sandhamn, Sweden. Probably 1980, when ArBigouden (deigned by Joubert-Nivelt) was the winner. I have asked around, but nobody knows where she is. If I manage to locate her I will renovate and show up in Cowes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Animal Farm was being restored at Monterey Bay Boatworks by Scott Krivanek when he suddenly and sadly died six months ago. That boatyard moves many boats to the local Environmental Park so she may well have met her end. I’d walk over to take a look but am now in the PI.

On 12/17/2020 at 5:17 AM, LordBooster said:

Animal%2020%203.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

If there is a chance Animal Farm is around - a Saturday morning drive down would be a nice. I'll bring a camera and a drone.

Good idea!

In 1977 I met Arne "Styrene" Jonsson when he worked at Sailing Progress, Spillersboda, Sweden. I cannot expect him to remember that young lad running around at is shipyard looking at IOR bustles, 6mr trimtabs and other thrilling stuff. Someone in more recent contact with Arne may inspire him to do a rescue-mission for Animal Farm:

https://thedu.in/companies/arne-jonsson-boat-builder-alameda-59964

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LordBooster said:

Thanks!

I am currently trying to locate the half-tonner "Butterfly" designed by Peter Norlin. It was 4:th at Worlds in Sandhamn, Sweden. Probably 1980, when ArBigouden (deigned by Joubert-Nivelt) was the winner. I have asked around, but nobody knows where she is. If I manage to locate her I will renovate and show up in Cowes.

 

it is in june, so look good and hopefully not to much work on her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LordBooster said:

 

This was what "sparrow" saw in that mirror:

 

58C35EA2-047E-478F-9BEF-C37D615ACE0A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordBooster said:

Good idea!

In 1977 I met Arne "Styrene" Jonsson when he worked at Sailing Progress, Spillersboda, Sweden. I cannot expect him to remember that young lad running around at is shipyard looking at IOR bustles, 6mr trimtabs and other thrilling stuff. Someone in more recent contact with Arne may inspire him to do a rescue-mission for Animal Farm:

https://thedu.in/companies/arne-jonsson-boat-builder-alameda-59964

 

It looks like Jonsson lives about 4 blocks from me here in Alameda. I knew he was close. When I walk the dog at lunch I will knock on the address door.  Ill send him an email this morning.

My bucket list includes of sending mine to Europe (in the next year or two to do Cowes and the Silver Rudder.) Tempted to put her on a ship after the newport to ensenada race. I just need a spare 15k...:unsure:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

 

58C35EA2-047E-478F-9BEF-C37D615ACE0A.jpeg

I  cannot say that you are wrong. Those were probably what he wanted to see. However, "sparrow" wasn't that lucky:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/NiLP-Commentary--Review-of--The-Rum-Diary-.html?soid=1101040629095&aid=TJLV8CaSbkU

“the mirror inspection of a d……d p…s, and the male-to-male humping car drive were hilarious; and all contributed, I guess, to the beginnings of the gonzo journalist philosophy this film purports to fictionally document.”

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

It looks like Jonsson lives about 4 blocks from me here in Alameda. I knew he was close. When I walk the dog at lunch I will knock on the address door.  Ill send him an email this morning.

My bucket list includes of sending mine to Europe (in the next year or two to do Cowes and the Silver Rudder.) Tempted to put her on a ship after the newport to ensenada race. I just need a spare 15k...:unsure:

 

Good move!

Let's hope Arne Jonsson is in good shape, he must be 70-80 years old...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CaptainAhab said:

What’s going on with the tails of the bowline knots on the jib clew? It looks like they are at least a foot long. 

Small loops, long tails... taken to the extreme?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

it is in june, so look good and hopefully not to much work on her.

 

2 hours ago, LordBooster said:

gewoon ik!

Splendid. Google map for locating June, Netherlands?:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/June/@52.383069,4.6335281,1030m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

I think when gewoon ik said 'it is in June" he was referring to a date rather than a location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

Next year, 2021, halftoncup in Cowes. You are welcome.

Nice idea but. I fear, out of my reach:

We'd get in everyone's way: Slow boat and inexperienced crew would be a liability to all. 

 I'd need a crew,  probably at least three more. 

 I'd need to get the boat there- either on a truck, maybe £1000 each way plus four lifts, or I'd need week or more free either side to deliver, and crew to help. Plus marina fees. 

  I'd need new sails,  at least (have a close look at the rags in the picture above :-) ); probably a good bit more investment to actually get the boat into a state capable of keeping up with the fleet.

 I'd need to get it measured, irc cert etc... more craneage, fees etc. 

 I haven't even looked into whether I would need a liferaft, ais, fresh flares etc to meet any safety regs...

 I did think about it soon after I got the boat but even local club racing seems to be out of reach, sadly, so I'm gradually making it more suitable for cruising (see furler thread elsewhere on this site!),  and all the time making it more difficult to put back to racing condition,  I'm ashamed to say...

Sorry, 

           W.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

 

I think when gewoon ik said 'it is in June" he was referring to a date rather than a location.

12 metre!

Thanks, but this one is a tricky one.

Google translate: Dutch to English

gewoon ik=just me

Reveals that signature “gewoon ik” is from the Netherlands rather than from:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flora,+Indiana,+USA/@40.5426327,-86.5350747,14.26z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x881375b4579edc5f:0xa0d5f051992b7c87!8m2!3d40.5472587!4d-86.5244434

Now,  Thus, “gewoon ik” has the location Flora, probably in the Netherlands and not in US:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Flora+city+netherlans/@52.2619163,4.773862,16.43z

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LordBooster said:

12 metre!

Thanks, but this one is a tricky one.

Google translate: Dutch to English

gewoon ik=just me

Reveals that signature “gewoon ik” is from the Netherlands rather than from:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flora,+Indiana,+USA/@40.5426327,-86.5350747,14.26z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x881375b4579edc5f:0xa0d5f051992b7c87!8m2!3d40.5472587!4d-86.5244434

Now,  Thus, “gewoon ik” has the location Flora, probably in the Netherlands and not in US:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Flora+city+netherlans/@52.2619163,4.773862,16.43z

 

 

12 metre!

The more I study this the more confused I get. You may be correct. It can be the month of June rather than a location. To sort things out I have mailed signature “gewoon ik”.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 1:59 AM, vdm said:

Anyone know what happened to Moonshadow?

Dave Morris her owner in 2012:

https://www.sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-websites/transpac2012orig/entries/dave-morris/index.html

“Moonshadow
Custom Wylie 31
#8675
Half Moon Bay, CA
SSS, Half Moon Bay YC
PHRF 138”

Shimon Van Collie seems to now a lot about Moonshadow:

http://www.wyliecat.com/about/about_tom.html

“Another success of the early days was the 31-ft, flush-decked Moonshadow, a boat that still brings a wistful look to Tom Wylie's eye. Built to the Midget Ocean Racing Circuit (MORC) rule, she weighed 7,500 pounds and had a ¾ inch balsa deck with mat and roving on either side. Characteristically, many of Tom's friends took part in the project, including Don Peters, Dave Wahle, Chris Benedict, Bard Chrisman, Kim Desenberg and Caroline Groen. To symbolize their communal spirit, the group painted a small star at the bow of the white-hulled sloop.

"She was a sailing machine," Wylie says of Moonshadow. "The deck plan would still be considered modern today. I remember going against Panache (a 40-footer) in one race down south and we just pounded her. We commuted the boat between the Gulf of the Farallones races up here and the Whitney series in Southern California. We won both of them."”

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?2777/

"Dave Morris riding the Tom Wylie Design Moonshadow. Built in the early 70's under the 1/2 ton rule, Moonshadow kicked major butt in offshore series including the 1st Farallones Race. We'll have more on her later!”

“As the boat began approaching the island of Maui, Dave Morris of the Wylie 31 "Moonshadow" consulted with his friends Dale and Carlo Alioto of Maui. They had been in Kauai with Dave to see him finish the race. “

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/28867-wylie-34-any-opinions/

“Isn’t that picture “Moonshadow”from around Cleveland? The Wylie is a great boat, You guys sailed it well, so I won’t dwell on the SWEET-HEART RATING that it gets in Lake Erie… besides, the only reason that you ever beat

 

MoonshadowBoat2.1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

Dave Morris her owner in 2012:

https://www.sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-websites/transpac2012orig/entries/dave-morris/index.html

“Moonshadow
Custom Wylie 31
#8675
Half Moon Bay, CA
SSS, Half Moon Bay YC
PHRF 138”

Shimon Van Collie seems to now a lot about Moonshadow:

http://www.wyliecat.com/about/about_tom.html

“Another success of the early days was the 31-ft, flush-decked Moonshadow, a boat that still brings a wistful look to Tom Wylie's eye. Built to the Midget Ocean Racing Circuit (MORC) rule, she weighed 7,500 pounds and had a ¾ inch balsa deck with mat and roving on either side. Characteristically, many of Tom's friends took part in the project, including Don Peters, Dave Wahle, Chris Benedict, Bard Chrisman, Kim Desenberg and Caroline Groen. To symbolize their communal spirit, the group painted a small star at the bow of the white-hulled sloop.

"She was a sailing machine," Wylie says of Moonshadow. "The deck plan would still be considered modern today. I remember going against Panache (a 40-footer) in one race down south and we just pounded her. We commuted the boat between the Gulf of the Farallones races up here and the Whitney series in Southern California. We won both of them."”

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?2777/

"Dave Morris riding the Tom Wylie Design Moonshadow. Built in the early 70's under the 1/2 ton rule, Moonshadow kicked major butt in offshore series including the 1st Farallones Race. We'll have more on her later!”

“As the boat began approaching the island of Maui, Dave Morris of the Wylie 31 "Moonshadow" consulted with his friends Dale and Carlo Alioto of Maui. They had been in Kauai with Dave to see him finish the race. “

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/28867-wylie-34-any-opinions/

“Isn’t that picture “Moonshadow”from around Cleveland? The Wylie is a great boat, You guys sailed it well, so I won’t dwell on the SWEET-HEART RATING that it gets in Lake Erie… besides, the only reason that you ever beat

 

MoonshadowBoat2.1.jpg

 

May be another rescue-mission?:

When I try to subscribe to Dave's blog Moonshadow 2012:2012

https://www.sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-websites/transpac2012orig/entries/dave-morris/index.html

I fail.

 

Edited by LordBooster
wrong blog-name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 12 metre said:

 

I think when gewoon ik said 'it is in June" he was referring to a date rather than a location.

Yes. My lazyness of using a capital for the months.

14 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Nice idea but. I fear, out of my reach:

We'd get in everyone's way: Slow boat and inexperienced crew would be a liability to all. 

 I'd need a crew,  probably at least three more. 

 I'd need to get the boat there- either on a truck, maybe £1000 each way plus four lifts, or I'd need week or more free either side to deliver, and crew to help. Plus marina fees. 

  I'd need new sails,  at least (have a close look at the rags in the picture above :-) ); probably a good bit more investment to actually get the boat into a state capable of keeping up with the fleet.

 I'd need to get it measured, irc cert etc... more craneage, fees etc. 

 I haven't even looked into whether I would need a liferaft, ais, fresh flares etc to meet any safety regs...

 I did think about it soon after I got the boat but even local club racing seems to be out of reach, sadly, so I'm gradually making it more suitable for cruising (see furler thread elsewhere on this site!),  and all the time making it more difficult to put back to racing condition,  I'm ashamed to say...

Sorry, 

           W.

No sorry. No problem. The logistics are always the big problem. I have helped a boat in the past to reach the races. But Cowes-Falmouth and to Kinsale (from Wales, but I forgot where).

You need (endorsed) irc certificate. The endorsed is only if you really want to win.

14 hours ago, LordBooster said:

12 metre!

Thanks, but this one is a tricky one.

Google translate: Dutch to English

gewoon ik=just me

Reveals that signature “gewoon ik” is from the Netherlands rather than from:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flora,+Indiana,+USA/@40.5426327,-86.5350747,14.26z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x881375b4579edc5f:0xa0d5f051992b7c87!8m2!3d40.5472587!4d-86.5244434

Now,  Thus, “gewoon ik” has the location Flora, probably in the Netherlands and not in US:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Flora+city+netherlans/@52.2619163,4.773862,16.43z

 

 

Will you stop insulting me? I'm from belgium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

Yes. My lazyness of using a capital for the months.

No sorry. No problem. The logistics are always the big problem. I have helped a boat in the past to reach the races. But Cowes-Falmouth and to Kinsale (from Wales, but I forgot where).

You need (endorsed) irc certificate. The endorsed is only if you really want to win.

Will you stop insulting me? I'm from belgium.

Thanks gewoon ik!

I got a little bit to enthusiastic when I read what you wrote. I have been sailing the quarter tonner "Butterfly" designed by Peter Norlin -77. My brother now owns that boat. I really liked the feeling in sailing that quarter-tonner. I wanted to get the same feeling again. Hopefully with the halftonner Butterfly. Another thing, I am of Belgium descent myself. I certainly not tried to insult you, or something like that. As you know there is a fellow thread called "what is this?" Instead of posting twice the picture of Waverider I did it only on "IOR loadfills". In my starting post of "IOR loadfills?" Everyone have the information there about Waverider and other and other yachts dealt with initially. As a beginner on this site I have to learn the humor adopted here. I really like it, and I will negotiate further with my girlfriend about a picture of her tits to be published on this site. However, the price may be high, no halftonner Butterfly...  

Regards,

LordBooster

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 10:23 AM, WGWarburton said:

Nice idea but. I fear, out of my reach:

We'd get in everyone's way: Slow boat and inexperienced crew would be a liability to all. 

 I'd need a crew,  probably at least three more. 

 I'd need to get the boat there- either on a truck, maybe £1000 each way plus four lifts, or I'd need week or more free either side to deliver, and crew to help. Plus marina fees. 

  I'd need new sails,  at least (have a close look at the rags in the picture above :-) ); probably a good bit more investment to actually get the boat into a state capable of keeping up with the fleet.

 I'd need to get it measured, irc cert etc... more craneage, fees etc. 

 I haven't even looked into whether I would need a liferaft, ais, fresh flares etc to meet any safety regs...

 I did think about it soon after I got the boat but even local club racing seems to be out of reach, sadly, so I'm gradually making it more suitable for cruising (see furler thread elsewhere on this site!),  and all the time making it more difficult to put back to racing condition,  I'm ashamed to say...

Sorry, 

           W.

Couldn’t we get a group of USS alumni to sail it?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Mudsailor said:

Couldn’t we get a group of USS alumni to sail it?

If WGW made it available - I would be down for at least £250 to sail Cowes provided I sail a working crew.  Mainsail trimmer, bow, what ever. 

EB41149D-ABF7-42A9-913B-F895277BF62E.jpeg

2A9917BA-0250-4653-9F76-28B8B3605742.jpeg
as a Scot, ask yourself what would Captain Kidd do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

 


as a Scot, ask yourself what would Captain Kidd do?

Kill everyone then strip the bodies plus the boat of anything of value before sending the lot to Davy Jones locker?

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 5:49 AM, CaptainAhab said:

Do we really need that many winches?

Here is a pic I took this morning on the schools Swan 46. All the recent rain has been a godsend for the winch farmers.

Image may contain: outdoor and water

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 3:27 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

They were the dicks that stacked all their drawers, cushions, gear etc from inside their shitbox outside their rental accommodation to lighten their boat considerably for the last race so they could have the dubious honour of winning a pickle dish in their PHD division of Lincoln Week 2015.  Maybe they thought a couple hundred yachties walking past might not notice? So how do we know it was them? We watched them put it all back on board later.

IMG_2317.thumb.JPG.2874a9b53ab5adf925710d8c9f782dc6.JPG

 

Pic or it didn' t happen? Happy to oblige.

IMG_2464.JPG

Didn't have a wheel when I owned it. Didn't win any dishes either.

New kettle as well by the look of it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try to rotate it but that would involve me learning something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I would try to rotate it but that would involve me learning something new.

Was Blue Max built in Melbourne?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MEIGA XVI, built here in Vigo in 76 ( Astilleros Lagos, to a  Paul Whitting design) being restored at the same shipyard a few months ago.

La imagen puede contener: exterior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rushman said:

Was Blue Max built in Melbourne?

By performance yachts I think. They built a few - Blue Max 1 and 2 (mine was BM 2 - the deck from BM one became a chook pen as I understand.) There was also ‘Beyond Thunderdome’ and one other but I am fucked if I can remember its name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

By performance yachts I think. They built a few - Blue Max 1 and 2 (mine was BM 2 - the deck from BM one became a chook pen as I understand.) There was also ‘Beyond Thunderdome’ and one other but I am fucked if I can remember its name.

Memory is a bit hazy... I applied for a job there in ‘86 (?), I lasted a week before they let me go as “they didn’t have enough work for me”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longy said:

I thought Oz was upside down - not sideways????

Depends on how far south of the equator you go.

Pic must North Queensland!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ropetrick said:

He did not get paid enough for the delivery.

You are correct sir!  It was an entertaining adventure though for in ungrateful client.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eliboat said:

181F9710-CC26-41ED-ABCE-715EAE81E88D.jpeg

Gonna need the big washing machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least you had some fresh water to wash the grime from your hands! 

I would NOT use those halyards or lines for anything other than filling a dumpster 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

At least you had some fresh water to wash the grime from your hands! 

I would NOT use those halyards or lines for anything other than filling a dumpster 

I have various halyards and sheets from the 42' Chris Craft I used to race. They continue to serve everything from hauling cars out of ditches to tying everything to everything. They haven't been on that boat since 1990.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have dozens of good lines myself from past boats, but not as bad looking as those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I have various halyards and sheets from the 42' Chris Craft I used to race. They continue to serve everything from hauling cars out of ditches to tying everything to everything. They haven't been on that boat since 1990.

All those halyards and other lines were saturated with years of bird shit.  The Kevlar Genoa that we hoisted up and actually hauled ass with eventually disintegrated and exploded into a million pieces.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LordBooster said:

I was hoping for the Void Ho! video instead of that drivel about cleaning lines;)

Halyards lose their strength after a certain number of decades. The ones Eli had to deal with look like they are from the 80’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

 

Halyards lose their strength after a certain number of decades. 

I have found my moral fibre has deteriorated over the past 30 years as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I was hoping for the Void Ho! video instead of that drivel about cleaning lines;)

Halyards lose their strength after a certain number of decades. The ones Eli had to deal with look like they are from the 80’s.

big-washing-machine.jpg.897c622da8ac0bc5600e2a37f6fc9a79.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

By performance yachts I think. They built a few - Blue Max 1 and 2 (mine was BM 2 - the deck from BM one became a chook pen as I understand.) There was also ‘Beyond Thunderdome’ and one other but I am fucked if I can remember its name.

Mad max was the other one of course. The third coffee of the morning just kicked in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

At least you had some fresh water to wash the grime from your hands! 

I would NOT use those halyards or lines for anything other than filling a dumpster 

One of the first things I do after buying a project boat is to wash all the lines - just loose in the machine with "Oxy" bleach and regular soap.

They come out clean and heavily tangled. Pulling them apart gives me the opportunity to inspect every inch of them and to identify and discard the dead ones.

I'd estimate that only around 10% of them are dead, on average.

Never had a piece of line break on me in use so I guess my processes work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites