Bristol-Cruiser

Less than 30 foot daysailoor

I am interested to find out if there is a J model that would be like a shrunk down (and cheaper) J100. I am in my early 70s and likely would be doing a lot of singlehanded daysails on Lake Ontario where typically it is not very windy in the summer - most of the time in the 5 to 15 range. Would like ease of handling, stiff and reasonable comfort in the cockpit. Interior can be simple although a head (at least a port-a-potti) is needed. Draft under six feet desirable. Thanks for your thoughts.

The Alerion is nice but would like something that performs well in light air. Does something like a J29 make any sense or do you need rail meat even in lightish wind?

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The Alerion is nice but would like something that performs well in light air. Does something like a J29 make any sense or do you need rail meat even in lightish wind?

I guess you could do a J/29 or a J/30 with a blade on a furler but it wouldn't be my first choice. The J/9 and J/100 fit the role you're looking for but pricey. A J/22 could work if you throw a porta-john in the cabin?

19 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

(although it is not any cheaper) https://www.jboats.com/j95

have you given any thought to an Alerion 28?

Friend of mine sails an Alerion 28 all the time.  Single handed many times and he’s around 80.  I own a J 30 and can say that it’s not a great option for older people to single hand (I am 69).

There were two used Tartan 26 daysailors for $65k. Both were on yachtworld.  Cheap alternatives such as various Cape Dory,  C&C 25, Cal 23/22. Etc.  Do you want to be able to take a nap?   Head,  etc

1 hour ago, jww said:

Take a look at the current model Tartan Fantail...Meets all the requirements you have and it is a good light air boat...

20 minutes ago, JMOD said:

J/9?

OP wants a boat cheaper than a used J/100.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slap said:

OP wants a boat cheaper than a used J/100.

And smaller too. There are lots of expensive day sailors, I am looking for something fairly inexpensive but with good performance in light airs. Might be a Harbor 20 if I can decide I don't need a head. Someone mentioned a J22, that might be worth exploring.

I still think, as sorta discussed on the Old Persons Daysailer thread in CA, that the J-27 might be a good candidate to turn into a “less expensive” J/9 and/or a smaller & less expensive J/100.

Sail it with a blade jib, maybe with a track on the cabintop in front the mast (jib traveller) to make the jib self tacking, some self tailing winches, which you could even likely find used, and a tiller pilot, and you’d have a nice little daysailer with a small but decent cabin, a porti potty or real head, and a some berths for a afternoon nap!

• Like 1

J22,

Martin 242,

J27,

C&C 27 mkV,

Lots around the GTA.

Or even this......an Etchells.  Don't laugh, we had 3 at one time, all owned by members in their 70s, back in the 80's/90's at our club.  They had a hoot daysailing them singlehanded 

Thought about an. Etchells. It would be fun to convert one to daysailor with a very low doghouse cabin. 

The Harbor 25 is a neat little boat. I don't know if it will meet your performance needs, but it moves along in the light stuff just fine and has an asym kite and a retractable sprit that is easy to handle (particularly with a sock).

I don't have any affiliation with the boat in the link below, but I do have a buddy with a Harbor 25 and have sailed it in a variety of conditions. The boat really does have a lot to offer and is a good value.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/2014-schock-harbor-25-7648459/

On 12/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I am interested to find out if there is a J model that would be like a shrunk down (and cheaper) J100. I am in my early 70s and likely would be doing a lot of singlehanded daysails on Lake Ontario where typically it is not very windy in the summer - most of the time in the 5 to 15 range. Would like ease of handling, stiff and reasonable comfort in the cockpit. Interior can be simple although a head (at least a port-a-potti) is needed. Draft under six feet desirable. Thanks for your thoughts.

I am 72. I owned a J22 until 2015, when I bought a 27' H-Boat. I loved the J22 as a daysailer, but I wanted a boat with overnight capability, and one that was less dependent on crew weight - the J22 got a little squirrelly in over 10-12 knots.

I sail on an inland lake with frequent light & variable wind. I've been very pleased with the boat. They're not easy to find in North America.

Here's a link to the renovation thread with the whole story:

I’m 71. I have a J/92 that I single hand and DH with my wife. Tides track and RF make it easy to sail. Great in light air. Interior is manageable for 2 and it has a real marine head with holding tank. Used with trailer they can be found in the mid 30s. Draft is 5.9 feet. Cheaper than the Alerion 28, Harbor 25 and J/100 by a bunch. On days you are feeling young again you can pop the A3 and leave the above mentioned boats in the dust. (Maybe not the J/100 if they have a sprit. 

• Like 3

My wife and I will be 60 before we know it and I'm in the market for a smaller keel boat for multipurpose use.  While my wife isn't interested in racing anymore, she'd like to enjoy some relaxed daysailing with me when the weather is nice and the breeze is in the 5-10 range, which is common for us in the summer.  I'd also like something that would be fun to race both PHRF and One Design.  My budget is $10-15K so that limits things a bit.  I think I've settled on a J22 as the best choice for us, preferably one in very good shape, and has been dry-sailed it's whole life.  I'd also considered a Melges 24, but don't think it would fit with my wife's idea of "relaxed day sailing", and I don't think I'm up for the bigger investment in sails and crew.  I also sail a Highlander, so my crew should translate to the J22 fairly easily.  I'm not interested in single handing, that's what my Sunfish and especially MC Scow are for.  I've thought about several of the other boats suggested in this thread, but when I weight pros and cons I keep coming back to the J22.  I'm not read to pull the trigger just yet, probably toward the end of 2021 or early in 2022 once I get my winter storage situation worked out.  We're planning a "Barndominium" for 44 acres of recreational land we've had for a while, with half devoted to nice a two bed condo and the other half devoted to sailboat storage for the fleet.  Bristol-Cruiser, good luck with your search and decision.

My father is about to be 74 and cruises his J/27 singlehanded. He did install a real head. He has had a great time with it. 

On 12/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Thought about an. Etchells. It would be fun to convert one to daysailor with a very low doghouse cabin. 

If you look long enough, they're out there, looking for a new home