Bristol-Cruiser

Less than 30 foot daysailoor

Recommended Posts

I am interested to find out if there is a J model that would be like a shrunk down (and cheaper) J100. I am in my early 70s and likely would be doing a lot of singlehanded daysails on Lake Ontario where typically it is not very windy in the summer - most of the time in the 5 to 15 range. Would like ease of handling, stiff and reasonable comfort in the cockpit. Interior can be simple although a head (at least a port-a-potti) is needed. Draft under six feet desirable. Thanks for your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Alerion is nice but would like something that performs well in light air. Does something like a J29 make any sense or do you need rail meat even in lightish wind?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The Alerion is nice but would like something that performs well in light air. Does something like a J29 make any sense or do you need rail meat even in lightish wind?

 

I guess you could do a J/29 or a J/30 with a blade on a furler but it wouldn't be my first choice. The J/9 and J/100 fit the role you're looking for but pricey. A J/22 could work if you throw a porta-john in the cabin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

(although it is not any cheaper) https://www.jboats.com/j95

have you given any thought to an Alerion 28?

 

 

Friend of mine sails an Alerion 28 all the time.  Single handed many times and he’s around 80.  I own a J 30 and can say that it’s not a great option for older people to single hand (I am 69).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were two used Tartan 26 daysailors for $65k. Both were on yachtworld.  Cheap alternatives such as various Cape Dory,  C&C 25, Cal 23/22. Etc.  Do you want to be able to take a nap?   Head,  etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jww said:

Take a look at the current model Tartan Fantail...Meets all the requirements you have and it is a good light air boat...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JMOD said:

J/9?

OP wants a boat cheaper than a used J/100.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slap said:

OP wants a boat cheaper than a used J/100.

And smaller too. There are lots of expensive day sailors, I am looking for something fairly inexpensive but with good performance in light airs. Might be a Harbor 20 if I can decide I don't need a head. Someone mentioned a J22, that might be worth exploring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think, as sorta discussed on the Old Persons Daysailer thread in CA, that the J-27 might be a good candidate to turn into a “less expensive” J/9 and/or a smaller & less expensive J/100.

Sail it with a blade jib, maybe with a track on the cabintop in front the mast (jib traveller) to make the jib self tacking, some self tailing winches, which you could even likely find used, and a tiller pilot, and you’d have a nice little daysailer with a small but decent cabin, a porti potty or real head, and a some berths for a afternoon nap!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J22,

Martin 242,

J27,

C&C 27 mkV,

Lots around the GTA.

Or even this......an Etchells.  Don't laugh, we had 3 at one time, all owned by members in their 70s, back in the 80's/90's at our club.  They had a hoot daysailing them singlehanded 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought about an. Etchells. It would be fun to convert one to daysailor with a very low doghouse cabin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Harbor 25 is a neat little boat. I don't know if it will meet your performance needs, but it moves along in the light stuff just fine and has an asym kite and a retractable sprit that is easy to handle (particularly with a sock).

I don't have any affiliation with the boat in the link below, but I do have a buddy with a Harbor 25 and have sailed it in a variety of conditions. The boat really does have a lot to offer and is a good value.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/2014-schock-harbor-25-7648459/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 10:29 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I am interested to find out if there is a J model that would be like a shrunk down (and cheaper) J100. I am in my early 70s and likely would be doing a lot of singlehanded daysails on Lake Ontario where typically it is not very windy in the summer - most of the time in the 5 to 15 range. Would like ease of handling, stiff and reasonable comfort in the cockpit. Interior can be simple although a head (at least a port-a-potti) is needed. Draft under six feet desirable. Thanks for your thoughts.

I am 72. I owned a J22 until 2015, when I bought a 27' H-Boat. I loved the J22 as a daysailer, but I wanted a boat with overnight capability, and one that was less dependent on crew weight - the J22 got a little squirrelly in over 10-12 knots.

I sail on an inland lake with frequent light & variable wind. I've been very pleased with the boat. They're not easy to find in North America.

Here's a link to the renovation thread with the whole story:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m 71. I have a J/92 that I single hand and DH with my wife. Tides track and RF make it easy to sail. Great in light air. Interior is manageable for 2 and it has a real marine head with holding tank. Used with trailer they can be found in the mid 30s. Draft is 5.9 feet. Cheaper than the Alerion 28, Harbor 25 and J/100 by a bunch. On days you are feeling young again you can pop the A3 and leave the above mentioned boats in the dust. (Maybe not the J/100 if they have a sprit. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I will be 60 before we know it and I'm in the market for a smaller keel boat for multipurpose use.  While my wife isn't interested in racing anymore, she'd like to enjoy some relaxed daysailing with me when the weather is nice and the breeze is in the 5-10 range, which is common for us in the summer.  I'd also like something that would be fun to race both PHRF and One Design.  My budget is $10-15K so that limits things a bit.  I think I've settled on a J22 as the best choice for us, preferably one in very good shape, and has been dry-sailed it's whole life.  I'd also considered a Melges 24, but don't think it would fit with my wife's idea of "relaxed day sailing", and I don't think I'm up for the bigger investment in sails and crew.  I also sail a Highlander, so my crew should translate to the J22 fairly easily.  I'm not interested in single handing, that's what my Sunfish and especially MC Scow are for.  I've thought about several of the other boats suggested in this thread, but when I weight pros and cons I keep coming back to the J22.  I'm not read to pull the trigger just yet, probably toward the end of 2021 or early in 2022 once I get my winter storage situation worked out.  We're planning a "Barndominium" for 44 acres of recreational land we've had for a while, with half devoted to nice a two bed condo and the other half devoted to sailboat storage for the fleet.  Bristol-Cruiser, good luck with your search and decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father is about to be 74 and cruises his J/27 singlehanded. He did install a real head. He has had a great time with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Thought about an. Etchells. It would be fun to convert one to daysailor with a very low doghouse cabin. 

If you look long enough, they're out there, looking for a new home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 2:58 PM, highlander709 said:

My wife and I will be 60 before we know it and I'm in the market for a smaller keel boat for multipurpose use.  While my wife isn't interested in racing anymore, she'd like to enjoy some relaxed daysailing with me when the weather is nice and the breeze is in the 5-10 range, which is common for us in the summer.  I'd also like something that would be fun to race both PHRF and One Design.  My budget is $10-15K so that limits things a bit.  I think I've settled on a J22 as the best choice for us, preferably one in very good shape, and has been dry-sailed it's whole life.  I'd also considered a Melges 24, but don't think it would fit with my wife's idea of "relaxed day sailing", and I don't think I'm up for the bigger investment in sails and crew.  I also sail a Highlander, so my crew should translate to the J22 fairly easily.  I'm not interested in single handing, that's what my Sunfish and especially MC Scow are for.  I've thought about several of the other boats suggested in this thread, but when I weight pros and cons I keep coming back to the J22.  I'm not read to pull the trigger just yet, probably toward the end of 2021 or early in 2022 once I get my winter storage situation worked out.  We're planning a "Barndominium" for 44 acres of recreational land we've had for a while, with half devoted to nice a two bed condo and the other half devoted to sailboat storage for the fleet.  Bristol-Cruiser, good luck with your search and decision.

I haven't looked at this thread in a while. As mentioned earlier, I've had two J22s. They are lovely boats. My wife enjoys relaxed daysailing. A good bit of my sailing is solo. In my experience, the J22 is fine single handing until you get above 10 knots. Then it gets a little squirrelly.  Reefing helps. I should add that where I sail, the wind is variable and gusts are the norm.

The cockpit of a J22 is big, but there's not much back support. That said, I would take it any day over a J24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

colgate 26?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, highlander709 said:

My wife and I will be 60 before we know it and I'm in the market for a smaller keel boat for multipurpose use.  While my wife isn't interested in racing anymore, she'd like to enjoy some relaxed daysailing with me when the weather is nice and the breeze is in the 5-10 range, which is common for us in the summer.  I'd also like something that would be fun to race both PHRF and One Design.  My budget is $10-15K so that limits things a bit.  I think I've settled on a J22 as the best choice for us, preferably one in very good shape, and has been dry-sailed it's whole life.  I'd also considered a Melges 24, but don't think it would fit with my wife's idea of "relaxed day sailing", and I don't think I'm up for the bigger investment in sails and crew.  I also sail a Highlander, so my crew should translate to the J22 fairly easily.  I'm not interested in single handing, that's what my Sunfish and especially MC Scow are for.  I've thought about several of the other boats suggested in this thread, but when I weight pros and cons I keep coming back to the J22.  I'm not read to pull the trigger just yet, probably toward the end of 2021 or early in 2022 once I get my winter storage situation worked out.  We're planning a "Barndominium" for 44 acres of recreational land we've had for a while, with half devoted to nice a two bed condo and the other half devoted to sailboat storage for the fleet.  Bristol-Cruiser, good luck with your search and decision.

Like the J-27 choice too...

How about this?  Leaves some money for new sails...https://www.sailingtexas.com/202001/skirby23102.html

S2 6.9?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that it would be pretty straightforward to add coamings to a j22 for more back support and comfort sitting in the cockpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments. Also interesting to read the thread about the J9, which is just too expensive to justify. Seems like there are three J boats that might do the trick (I think the 22 is just too small). Want a boat for single handing with occasionally my wife (very experienced sailor - circumnavigator, but not racer), and sometimes taking young grandchildren out, with another adult for babysitting. Thoughts on these. Performance seems not widely different with bigger being a bit faster. How would each do main only for a relaxed sail on a 6 to 12 knot day?

  • J/27 - cheapest of the three and has an actual cockpit with backrests. I find it quite attractive. Because of age are they likely to be beaten up - decks and hulls in particular. Seem a bit rare on the used market.
  • J/80 - the concept of a three sail wardrobe and a furling jib attractive. Since the standard jib is 100% seems like I could get a slightly smaller one with a Hoyt system, although I would not do this until I try the standard for a season. Sprit very desirable feature. Lots of them out there so lots to choose from.
  • J/92 - is it more than a larger J/80? More expensive than other three. More interior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion you cant beat the stability, convenience, optimal size, versatility and....diesel engine of the J/92 (or 92S). But I'm biased...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the layout and looks of the 27 better (for your use) then the 80.  Agree finding a 27 in good shape is a challenge.  I’ve always wondered about getting one cheap and totally redoing it.  I’d put a J/80 sprit on it, and a small diesel sail drive.  Think it’d make a great day sailor/beer can racer like that.  Plus 2 folks could overnight camp on it in reasonable comfort...

For less money and effort, I could probably just buy a 92s :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I joined SA just in time to find this thread. 

I too am looking for a 30ish foot daysailer, but I’d want to trade cabin space for a bigger cockpit. I’d like to have a wheel so I wouldn’t have to rearrange a cockpit full of lubbers every time I tack. 
 

The J/95 seems to check all my boxes, but there are relatively few out there and they’re not terribly inexpensive. 
 

Can anyone talk me into or out of a J/95 or recommend an alternative? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quickstep192 said:

I joined SA just in time to find this thread. 

I too am looking for a 30ish foot daysailer, but I’d want to trade cabin space for a bigger cockpit. I’d like to have a wheel so I wouldn’t have to rearrange a cockpit full of lubbers every time I tack. 
 

The J/95 seems to check all my boxes, but there are relatively few out there and they’re not terribly inexpensive. 
 

Can anyone talk me into or out of a J/95 or recommend an alternative? 

Buy a J/100 and add a wheel. Problem solved. Best of both worlds. Shouldn’t cost but about 5k or less to do conversion. Will open up your options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ismotorsport said:

Buy a J/100 and add a wheel. Problem solved. Best of both worlds. Shouldn’t cost but about 5k or less to do conversion. Will open up your options

Actually, buy a J/100  and keep the tiller, there is room for 4 adults in the cockpit in front of the traveler and out of the way of the helm.  And you can squeeze a couple of more on the transom.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about the same thing only maybe in reverse,  having owned a J27 for 30 years. She was a great boat and really good with performance upgrades, SQTop main, asyms, OSP and masthead kite. However, age and community intervened and we left her for a J100. In truth I think the 100 is a grown up 27, bigger cockpit (27 is generous but the 100 is huge), more interior with head and diesel, more electronics. The 100 is a much heavier boat, more stable and more solid than the 27 but of course quite a bit faster, plus you can get to walk round the boat without a lot of heeling and movement, and the bow is a comfortable place.

100 is a grown up 27, the 2 boats have a lot in common.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now