hasher

Melanoma

Saw this powerful interview the other night - a terrifying reminder to take responsibility for our own health and get yourself checked regularly. I've just done my annual skin check and had the usual suspects iced off - I've had 6 cut out over the years...."when in doubt, cut it out".

We love our watery lifestyles, but it comes at a cost: "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance!"

Spread the news and don't let Stuarts tragedy be in vain. (Thanks hasher for posting!)

• Like 3

I've been going to twice-per-year dermatology appointments for almost two decades now. A good doc can keep you going when skin cancer is trying to sneak up on you.

Very sorry to hear about Stuart

FB- Doug

• Like 3

I have had 3. 1 was as aggressive melanoma. 

Growing up in S. Florida, surfing, sailing and fishing every weekend. In the summer pretty much lived at the beach. Never used  sun screen back then. 

Saw the dermatologist yesterday. Another biopsy.  She has keep me alive.

I'm paying for my youth.

Same.  Melanoma on the shoulder about 5 years ago. Skin check every 6 months for life. Just went the other day.  They're always freezing stuff off or carving hunks out of me.  But a small price to pay, and better than the alternative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

thank you for posting. Best thread of week.

100% agree. UPF protective apparel is a must for me. I wish I had known about sun damage when I was young growing up in Hawaii. Nothing burned off "yet" but I know that day is coming. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, DryArmour said:

100% agree. UPF protective apparel is a must for me. I wish I had known about sun damage when I was young growing up in Hawaii. Nothing burned off "yet" but I know that day is coming. 

Grew up in Panama and Kailua. I played it off too. Went sailing for years with lame sun screen and often none at all. It will come to everyone. Catch it early. Teach and Wear UPF clothing and hats. My father-in-law, king of the beach, died of brain cancer due to skin cancers not being taken seriously.

I have had numerous freezes done on my face.  At my last visit the doctor recommended that I use Neutrogena 100 SPF.  I had been using 50 SPF for the last few years, but he said the 100 lasts longer, and while racing, who has time to reapply?

I have had a couple of nasty BCC’s taken off in the past few years. I get a full body check up every 6 months and the last few have shown none. We lost a much loved member of our local sailing community to melanoma a few years back. It was only 3 weeks between diagnosis and his funeral. 

At our latitude it is one of the biggest killers. 

Thanks to my Scottish heritage I have skin more suited to chasing flame headed maidens around a frozen lock, than spending 50 years surfing and sailing under the Australian sun. 

Stay safe everyone.

When I had my second one it was in my hair line. Discovered during haircut.

Doc said if she hadn't found it, I would have had less than a month. Doc saw it and said, it's coming off today!

Hairdresser got a very nice gift at Christmas.

Got my malignant melanoma diagnosis some 25 years ago. My barber found a mole behind my right ear.  Been going to the same barber for 50 years now.  He told me that it was growing and changing shape and color.  Went to see my PCP.  He cut it off and sent it to be biopsied. Told the nurse (cute chick) that the biopsy was a matter of precaution, they never amount to anything.  HA!

Biopsy comes back, malignant melanoma.  Off to the oncologist I go.  Bright young guy.  Local boy who went to John’s Hopkins and did a stint at Mayo.  Wanted to come back home.  

Question was had the cancer hit my lymph nodes or was it still localized.  Off to the university medical center where they did a lymph node biopsy (I have a lovely scar on my neck.  I tell people it was from a bar fight!).  No lymph involvement.  Saw the oncologist twice a year for five years, then once a year for another five.

Twice a year with a dermatologist for a decade.  Now I see a dermatologist once every few years.

Interesting the games your mind plays with you.  Was scared shitless I was going to die with a wife and kids still at home.  So a number of years later when I got my prostate cancer diagnosis I got arrogant. I beat cancer once I can beat it again.  Luckily, we caught it early.  A radical prostatectomy and done.  

Now I take all the usual precautions when working outside p, cutting grass, sailing, golf, etc.

• Like 1

I'm not quite 40 years old. I had one spot frozen off my cheek last year. The spot was right outside the edge of my sunglasses....where the edge of the lens rubs off my sunscreen. I've been really good about sunscreen, but my skin requires reapply with most sunscreens at least every half hour. In most races, that means I'm burning before the finish. Harken Derm's sunscreen lasts me all day and has been a HUGE upgrade to my ability to keep from being burned. Expensive but well worth it with my skin profile. I have to scrub it off with makeup removal wipes at the end of a day. My first spot removal at 38 was a wake up call, and I'm now on the annual exam schedule. I'm fortunate that my primary physician is a sailor and spotted it during a regular exam before it was an issue. For those of you who feel young like me, go see the dermatologist. I am not alone in having issues before 40. 

Grew up in Laguna from the mid 50s, just being out in the sun, surfing, v-ball, hanging out, skiing, and many other sports out in the sun.  In the late 80s, went to my dermatologist to look at an odd spot on my back...pre-melanoma, caught it in time.  But the sobering statement he made was if at age 43 I went and lived in a cave the rest of my life and never was in the sun again, I would still develop skin cancers.  The damage over the previous years has already affected the cells.  Many, many N2 burnouts, and four basal cancer cutouts since then.  Still out in the sun,  but cover up at best and use the block.  Visit the doc twice a year and hope for the best.  This ain't no hoax.  BTW, he of middle eastern descent, also told me that people of color are just as susceptible to skin cancers as us whiteys. 

Got the call from the dermatologist yesterday. Latest biopsy was negative.

Nice Christmas present. 

• Like 2

Nice!!! A merry Christmas then

A dermatologist told me once that I had all the odds to develop a melanoma so I get checked every year. But he also told me that my best protection would be to get sun tanned (a bit) but never, ever get burned.

So no total sunblock but always sun screen (I normally use ISDIN SPF50)

My face has been a chopping board for the past 10 years, I had 48 stitches after one season. Been 4 times this year to the plastic surgery ward at Middlemore this year. Plus the odd freeze at the doc.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:26 AM, ScowLover said:

I'm not quite 40 years old. I had one spot frozen off my cheek last year. The spot was right outside the edge of my sunglasses....where the edge of the lens rubs off my sunscreen. I've been really good about sunscreen, but my skin requires reapply with most sunscreens at least every half hour. In most races, that means I'm burning before the finish. Harken Derm's sunscreen lasts me all day and has been a HUGE upgrade to my ability to keep from being burned. Expensive but well worth it with my skin profile. I have to scrub it off with makeup removal wipes at the end of a day. My first spot removal at 38 was a wake up call, and I'm now on the annual exam schedule. I'm fortunate that my primary physician is a sailor and spotted it during a regular exam before it was an issue. For those of you who feel young like me, go see the dermatologist. I am not alone in having issues before 40. 

True.. I have a couple of tags that have popped up over the past couple of years. I'm 44. They're under my arm/on my side and I don't go shirtless too often, but I remember reading somewhere that skin cancer can pop up in places where the sun doesn't shine. I have to remember to mention them to my cute doc instead of asking her to finger my butt. 

Lost my brother to melanoma last summer. Fair skinned and had no fear through years of power boating of the damage sun cold do. It was a miserable death.

6 hours ago, kevlar said:

True.. I have a couple of tags that have popped up over the past couple of years. I'm 44. They're under my arm/on my side and I don't go shirtless too often, but I remember reading somewhere that skin cancer can pop up in places where the sun doesn't shine. I have to remember to mention them to my cute doc instead of asking her to finger my butt. 

Got chatting with my dermatologist during one of my whole body skin exams.  She said that the strangest place she ever found a melanoma was inside the mouth.  Second was the genital area.

Don’t just think about your skin, good mate contracted one in his eye and went from hero to zero in under 12 months. I would drive him down to Sydney each week for his chemotherapy, sit in the front on the way down and lay in the back vomiting out of the window on the way home. Wear your sunglasses and make sure that they check your eyes.

Saw my 44 year old son yesterday for the first time since he put his boat away.  Noticed some small scarring along his jawline.  He said that he had a couple of stage 1 melanomas removed about a month or so ago.  He’s been sailing since he was 5.