Sign in to follow this  
T sailor

J120 second bilge pump

So I need to add a second manual pump operable from the interior to meet the offshore SER’s.  Seems simple enough, but curious what others have done?  I really want to avoid putting a hole in one of the stringers for the hose.  I know some people have plumbed the interior to the existing hoses but not exactly sure if that is a good idea.  Suggestions welcome...

Couple of thoughts, verify thru  reading the exact rule: you do not have to permanently run the suction hose, it can just be a length of rolled up hose; they do not require the end of the hose to go into sump area. And there is no specification on just where in the interior the pump is mounted. Have seen quite a few that were functionally unusable

Ok.  That helps.  I could Y into the outlet for the main pump discharge and mount the pump in the garage with a moveable inlet hose.

We mounted ours in the half bulkhead (from the bottom of the hull) in the garage right next to the door. Mounted handle on the wall beside it and had a long length of hose coiled up. Discharge was through the side wall of the swiming platform. Pasted every offshore race we sailed, including Bermuda

Thanks Stu,

I was hung up on trying to permanently mount the inlet hose in the bilge.  If I don’t have to do that it makes things much simpler.  

We did the same thing - mounted on that half bulkhead with a coiled up hose that can reach all the way into the V-Berth.  Discharge connected with Y-Valve. No issues for BDA and similar inspections.

Heron #34

Yes, now in Hamble, UK.