Wash your mouth out bitch.....

Oooh, we have a tough guy, or gal.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Just now, WetHog said:

Yup - tough as a chocolate frog on a gas heater on full flame....:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

A sport or event without spectators can very rapidly fade into insignificance

Except the Cup survived for over a hundred years not giving a fuck about spectators. The recent holders of 'precious' have driven it in this direction and now cry it will stop forever without spectators.

The haters back tracking big time! They thought yesterdays should've been called off, now they thought this one should've been let go, now watch them say this next one should be called off because its light and patchy again lol

Prada with higher VMG but Ineos with better manouvres. They were consistently gaining a dozen metres or so on each tack/gybe.

1 minute ago, Piet56 said:

Yup - tough as a chocolate frog on a gas heater on full flame....:rolleyes:

As tough as a minion me thinks. 

78348486-76B7-47A5-A3BC-98888D9C2EBB.jpeg

• Like 1

Where can I read what the penalties are? Do they have to splash down? Circle?

At the very end UK had an unforced penalty from going out of bounds at the bottom, curious how that would have played out.

Just now, Raptorsailor said:

Prada with higher VMG but Ineos with better manouvres. They were consistently gaining a dozen metres or so on each tack/gybe.

Yeah but didn’t InEOS chew Prada’s ass on the last downwind?  Started 600 meters behind and cut it down to 100 meterez

3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

AM only faster on that last leg. LR had better VMG on other legs including downwind.

AM ??

18 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I feel the same, not allowing a reach during an AC if there is a shift is just nonsense. So these $ 100 M boats can't sail on the reach ?

I believe prior to event they agreed on wind parameters, they can sail fine on a reach, they have all agreed not to do so.

• Like 1

Just now, Enzedel92 said:

Yeah but didn’t InEOS chew Prada’s ass on the last downwind?  Started 600 meters behind and cut it down to 100 meterez

pretty much, but Italians fell off the foils... UK didn't. Bruni/Spithill being silly sausages. 

3 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

That's cos they were sailing in to the rightie first. Nothing to do with the boat itself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The haters back tracking big time! They thought yesterdays should've been called off, now they thought this one should've been let go, now watch them say this next one should be called off because its light and patchy again lol

I will go on record.  Once the starting gun is fired, you race until you cross the finish line.  I don’t give a rats ass about wind or lack thereof or busted ass computer softerware

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yeah my bad.  Sailors like Spithill and Ainsle can’t handle wind shifts in a sailboat race.  What was I thinking?

I apologize Minion 1. 

1 minute ago, mako23 said:

AM ??

Oooops!  Was watching another replay whilst typing. Du-oh!

1 minute ago, Enzedel92 said:

They had the wind shift earlier hence the extraordinary VMG they showed.

1 minute ago, Enzedel92 said:

They were sailing with completely different wind to LR.

In general in every sailing race, the committee and every crew need to know when to stop sailing and stay safe. That's in all the rules. And there are plenty of really bad examples of failing to do so in the history of sailing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

I will go on record.  Once the starting gun is fired, you race until you cross the finish line.  I don’t give a rats ass about wind or lack thereof or busted ass computer softerware

So you haven't liked the last 3 America's Cups?  That's sad and must make life pretty miserable for you.

9 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Just gone through the Hand book - don't see the words "fair" anywhere .... it is what is is once the gun goes....

I dont know which handbook you are looking at, but certainly World Sailing protocols are to abandon when the race gets unfair.  It happens all the time in major events, eg. World Champs, Olympics and other major international events..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

I agree.

It's not like the wind gods are specifically favouring one boat over the other.

They all just need to drink a hot cup of concrete and harden the fuck up.

2 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Yeah my bad.  Sailors like Spithill and Ainsle can’t handle wind shifts in a sailboat race.  What was I thinking?

I apologize Minion 1. 

Rules are rules. Shit, we lost the AC because of the rules. You can't have it both ways. You can't say call a race off because I don't like it, but let this one go because i do.

6 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Ex Legionaire, I suspect he is a very tough guy.

Lol, Handbags V Sandbags. 

4 minutes ago, trt131 said:

I dont know which handbook you are looking at, but certainly World Sailing protocols are to abandon when the race gets unfair.  It happens all the time in major events, eg. World Champs, Olympics and other major international events..

Ummm, your quote shows something someone else said.

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I agree.

It's not like the wind gods are specifically favouring one boat over the other.

They all just need to drink a hot cup of concrete and harden the fuck up.

Shit next you'll be expecting them to be sailing through the spectator fleet!

• Like 1

You may go on record but it wont change anything.  The RC did the right thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

NO, both should not have been sailed!  The winds yesterday were not there and it was obvious.  Today, they know the weather, they know that a front is coming in that will hit during the first race and shift the winds.  They are trying to force races into bad conditions and are looking like a joke!  Just like in the Xmas cup, they didn't even schedule in the time for a make up day.  

The racing stopped and people started fighting, it’s almost like you need an Antisocial Personality Disorder to thrive in this place. 

• Like 3

Just now, mako23 said:

The racing stopped and people started fighting, it’s almost like you need an Antisocial Personality Disorder to thrive in this place. 

I understood it was a REQUIREMENT!... racing now due at 30 past the hr

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

NO, both should not have been sailed!  The winds yesterday were not there and it was obvious.  Today, they know the weather, they know that a front is coming in that will hit during the first race and shift the winds.  They are trying to force races into bad conditions and are looking like a joke!  Just like in the Xmas cup, they didn't even schedule in the time for a make up day.  

To be fair Alchemist the weather  is notorious fickle in Auckland. Can’t be helped 

1 minute ago, mako23 said:

The racing is just a detail of no consequence here. 

I don't have a problem with abandoning the race, it was becoming a farce.

I don't have a problem if the teams agreed specifically to certain course orientation standards for racing.

Just don't tell me that you abandoned racing today because it was unfair and that yesterday was somehow more fair. Cause that's a load of shit.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Shit next you'll be expecting them to be sailing through the spectator fleet!

Well, they used to didn't they?

In fact I remember the 12s using the spectators for cover.

Awesome!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nroose said:

In general in every sailing race, the committee and every crew need to know when to stop sailing and stay safe. That's in all the rules. And there are plenty of really bad examples of failing to do so in the history of sailing.

Pffft!  Everything's getting wrapped in cotton wool.

Best fun I ever had was in a Southerly Buster with a skipper who wouldn't say die. I was the bunny that had to change the jib to a handkerchief. Scared, somewhat. Loving it, yes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Today, they know the weather, they know that a front is coming in that will hit during the first race and shift the winds.  

FFS they only mistimed by 10 mins.  The Front was forecast to arrive AFTER BOTH races.

7 minutes ago, trt131 said:

You may go on record but it wont change anything.  The RC did the right thing.

Eh? I didn't write that.

Suddenly everything is attributed to me?

What a shamozzle this is. Let's hope we get a normal race for a change in 11 minutes or so.

Please don't hound the RC with "stop the steal" or similar nonsense. It was their call.

• Like 3

No rule in the RRS that says the RC can’t abandon a race mid race. They can even abandon after boats finish (though a rule does cover their requirements on that).

That said, the protocol for the series can dictate otherwise, and as such are considered rules (for example, the wind speed limits are rules per the protocol). I haven’t read the protocol, but could be that a skewed race course is auto abandon.

1 minute ago, Varan said:

Please don't hound the RC with "stop the steal" or similar nonsense. It was their call.

100% it should of been abandoned..!

3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

To be fair Alchemist the weather  is notorious fickle in Auckland. Can’t be helped 

yes, but the TV crew even mentioned it in the commentary how the front was predicted to come in and have a wind shift.  They could have just postponed the start for about an hour and let the front go through and stabilize.  Now they had to abandon the race and wait to move the course.  They tried to fit in a race before the front and it all became a waste of time.

5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Best fun I ever had was in a Southerly Buster with a skipper who wouldn't say die. I was the bunny that had to change the jib to a handkerchief. Scared, somewhat. Loving it, yes.

Sure. It's always about judgement. And often the conditions that are most fun are a little dangerous.

5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

good times very early 70's doing just that right on this course in NZ Mullet boats....22' hull, 8' sprit, 22' boom and carrying an imperial ton of ballast

• Like 1

Just now, The_Alchemist said:

yes, but the TV crew even mentioned it in the commentary how the front was predicted to come in and have a wind shift.  They could have just postponed the start for about an hour and let the front go through and stabilize.  Now they had to abandon the race and wait to move the course.  They tried to fit in a race before the front and it all became a waste of time.

In hindsight yes, but they don't really have the mandate to contravene start conditions because they *think* it might not last,... and what if they had waited, and it never arrived, then what? Pitchforks at dawn?

3 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

8 min to pre-start.... fingers crossed...

I have an ugly feeling we might have shot our loads for the day.

What a clusterfuck. There are so few races in this regatta that shit is going to be what predominates. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

But it was entertaining  to watch, and both Teams learnt valuable information. We learnt that Prada is not a slouch in the wind 

1 minute ago, 167149 said:

good times very early 70's doing just that right on this course in NZ Mullet boats....22' hull, 8' sprit, 22' boom and carrying an imperial ton of ballast

Sounds like a heap of fun! In the early Sydney 18 footers, you got chucked overboard if the wind dropped a bit! :)

1 minute ago, 167149 said:

Hell yes..... those boats were cool..... had the ability to be "man-eaters" but damn they were fun..... remember seeing Roy Dixon driving one of those with 1 of the Knightly brothers on board

Seems like the sailing world has learned many times that there need to be a little extra time, a few extra races, to accommodate the issues that happen due to weather. They should probably have 2 courses ready each day, and a few extra days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

FFS they only mistimed by 10 mins.  The Front was forecast to arrive AFTER BOTH races.

10 minutes?  Finishing the first race and then completing the second race would have taken much more than 10 minute.  They can recheck the forecast anytime the before they start the race.  There is no way they would not had a more accurate forecast and know that it was iffy to get the race in.

I have an ugly feeling we might have shot our loads for the day

Achmed... the terrifying terrorist.... "Premature Detonation"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

What a clusterfuck. There are so few races in this regatta that shit is going to be what predominates. 

CLUSTERFUCK IS THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR LOL.....! :D

It takes 10 minutes to reset the marks, but 35 more to recalibrate the software the draws the boundary lines. 

Just now, The_Alchemist said:

10 minutes?  Finishing the first race and then completing the second race would have taken much more than 10 minute.  They can recheck the forecast anytime the before they start the race.  There is no way they would not had a more accurate forecast and know that it was iffy to get the race in.

10 minutes to complete the first.  Murray said they hoped to get BOTH races complete before the FORECAST change!

Do you live in NZ?  

Auckland is renowned for 4 seasons in one day.

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

CLUSTERFUCK IS THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR LOL.....! :D

Love these boats, but this venue fucking sucks. The courses fucking suck as well.

2 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

Achmed... the terrifying terrorist.... "Premature Detonation"

What was the last thing that went through your mind?  "My arse".

"I keeel you!"

2 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

On the 5 min.... now wind against tide.....

That will make it "fun" :D

Just now, Kate short for Bob said:

10 minutes to complete the first.  Murray said they hoped to get BOTH races complete before the FORECAST change!

Do you live in NZ?  

Auckland is renowned for 4 seasons in one day.

Must be nice. We only have three seasons. Last winter, this winter and next winter.

Heeeere we go !

Just now, pusslicker said:

Love these boats, but this venue fucking sucks. The courses fucking suck as well.

Oh FFS! Remember Valencia? Fuck I lost sooooo much sleep for no racing.

Get over it, thats sailing.

Or you prefer we get a giant fan out so that everyone always gets the same wind?

3 minutes ago, nroose said:

Seems like the sailing world has learned many times that there need to be a little extra time, a few extra races, to accommodate the issues that happen due to weather. They should probably have 2 courses ready each day, and a few extra days.

Exactly!  If the venue is this fickle, they need to have back up.  Why have back up courses if you do not have the ability to use them.  Yesterday they forced the races on course that was not suitable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Sounds like a heap of fun! In the early Sydney 18 footers, you got chucked overboard if the wind dropped a bit! :)

heh heh heh..... why ?.... someones gotta gather all that crap in again

sydney flying squadron.jpg

Just now, 167149 said:

heh heh heh..... why ?.... someones gotta gather all that crap in again

sydney flying squadron.jpg

Peeling to the Gennaker....... wait.... no... noooooo......(splash)

• Like 1

I admit no expert in English but everyone talking over each other is nearly impossible for me to understand

• Like 1

Looks like Luna had a Vmg advantage again

• Like 1

Just now, Jean-Baptiste said:

I admit no expert in English but everyone talking over each other is nearly impossible for me to understand

You want to see it from our side J.B.....

5 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Oh FFS! Remember Valencia? Fuck I lost sooooo much sleep for no racing.

Get over it, thats sailing.

Or you prefer we get a giant fan out so that everyone always gets the same wind?

Valencia had 4 months of racing. This has 3 weeks. The product is a different thing now. It's been packaged for tv and I expect it to work every time if that is what I'm being sold. This current race is nice though.

1 minute ago, Redreuben said:

Looks like Luna had a Vmg advantage again

Ben just said "killing us aren't they".

Telling comment from B.A.... "Those waves are killing us"...... interesting....

Weather conditions look like an entirely different day now...

Welcome to Auckland's four seasons in one day.

Just now, terrafirma said:

The Italians are smoking..!

In Perth you knew when the Italians were going to tack when the fags went overboard 

• Like 1

Or was that the French ?

1 minute ago, Redreuben said:

In Perth you knew when the Italians were going to tack when the fags went overboard 

Believe ot was the French.... same thing applied up till the Cat's came in...... :ph34r:

• Like 1

Ineos just made the pass with a righty