Admiral Hornblower

Maritime Art Anarchy

On 12/30/2020 at 2:10 PM, fastyacht said:

Somethg strange about the wave

Yes, it should rise up the stem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Yes, it should rise up the stem.

Yep that's the first part I noticed. But the other way to analyse is that it is not at 0.4 and yet the height of the wave is large. So that's puzzling for this displ ratio

I have never spent any time trying to put a 3d computer rendered wave onto a 3dmodel. I just take a pencil and sketch :-) IT seems like other than using an actual CFD, it may be difficult. Rasp knows more about it for sure!

On 12/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, Israel Hands said:

This was on the wall of my room as a kid. A little over a year ago I rounded a corner in the Smithsonian and there it was - a real day-brightener to see

Winslow Homer - Breezing Up (A Fair Wind) - Google Art Project.jpg

An interesting note here is that Homer had to use a bit of artistic license in this painting , the mainsheet wouldn't be have been able to pass freely over the traveler bar, because the tiller's over it.

I have put placed the tiller over the traveler and gone sailing (on my laser) an embarrassing number of times... swearing always follows on tacking and discovering the mistake!

I liked old fashioned blueprints. They last much longer than diazo. So here is an imitation.

imageedit_18_8717533201.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:
On 12/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, Israel Hands said:

Winslow Homer - Breezing Up (A Fair Wind) - Google Art Project.jpg

An interesting note here is that Homer had to use a bit of artistic license in this painting , the mainsheet wouldn't be have been able to pass freely over the traveler bar, because the tiller's over it.

I have put placed the tiller over the traveler and gone sailing (on my laser) an embarrassing number of times... swearing always follows on tacking and discovering the mistake!

Hmm, had to take a closer look at that

1551623264_pieceofBreezingUpW-Homer.jpg.fea393e231d74e203b2aff8bb7590a03.jpg

Looks to me like he kind of couldn't make up his mind, a bit of a line/edge going both ways. For that matter, I think I can see part of the helms-boy's foot thru the tiller.

FB- Doug

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

This is one of my father-in-law's paintings. He only did one sailboat, that I know of, and that was a copy of another painting of a boat at the dock... and I don't like it as much as this one. IMHO this is a great painting

phillips-painting_IMG_0835.thumb.jpg.f3d4152ab1dcdfe5a781fbdf5b6d0ca7.jpg

He also did some seascapes, a fair number of landscapes, and wood carvings. He passed away in 1968

FB- Doug

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hmm, had to take a closer look at that

1551623264_pieceofBreezingUpW-Homer.jpg.fea393e231d74e203b2aff8bb7590a03.jpg

Looks to me like he kind of couldn't make up his mind, a bit of a line/edge going both ways. For that matter, I think I can see part of the helms-boy's foot thru the tiller.

FB- Doug

Paint is a troublesome thing. Some pigments are not opaque. And if you do something to opaque sometimes it causes trouble....I'm going with this being an artifact rather than a direct mistake. I see the bar all the way across. It is "black" but possibly made out of non-black (the Cape Cod School among others eschewed actual black).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fastyacht said:

I liked old fashioned blueprints. They last much longer than diazo. So here is an imitation.

imageedit_18_8717533201.png

Looks like a tancook schooner

• Like 1

My 91 year old Mom is still painting. RISD grad in sculpture. Finish of an S-boat race off Bristol.5E284AC6-C39F-44DA-AB2E-6A81448E8AD3.thumb.jpeg.ceef4463e370c6e8034f35842f1d6dad.jpeg

• Like 6

Here was an attempt to add 3d waves to a yacht model for rendering. You just need a suitable greyscale bitmap of the wavetrain and apply it to the waterplane in the displacement (height) channel. I did better with a fireboat model a long time ago. Here is the QUAIL about to exceed hull speed!

720664136_QuailStbdQtr1.thumb.jpg.8364684cebc6b97f5416dbe9a5f0085e.jpg

O91.thumb.jpg.cf51dd0e83c7c8707fb53b3313390ce2.jpg   I think I reduced the heightmap strength for this render.

O129.thumb.jpg.3b9023c3578d0b9a22e1c4230c93e2f1.jpg

Here was a much earlier attempt at actually modeling the wake on the waterplane. 

o19.thumb.jpg.dbb67af9cb49cd19f910c62eea03f10e.jpg

o15.thumb.jpg.d3bad4a39b2fd375dfcd7378f3b22f4c.jpg

• Like 1

I doodle boat hulls in cad after my kids go to bed. Feel free to check out my Instagram to see them all. I try to do a couple a week. Also boring pictures of our O’Day 34 Hornet based in RI.

https://www.instagram.com/sy_hornet/

I’m not trying for extreme accuracy with them. Just a general doodle. I do marine design/engineering cad all day long and it’s just nice to unwind doodling. Here’s a taste.

3847B982-9CD9-4D64-AA5B-C7212EBFA31B.jpeg

• Like 5

EB826845-BE5B-48C2-BC93-09494AAF5931.thumb.jpeg.e46993e83f340066edb05cd4f767969a.jpegIt would be tough to do my Uncle justice. Both the US Navy and Coast Guard gave it a shot with commendations, but as I’m starting to figure out, you can’t really take it with you. What I do have are the memories of taking him on some photography shoots to develop the still life results.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

That looks Rhino6 to me. And very Shields ish :-)

Yes! I love Rhino but slowly transitioning more towards Solid Edge.

Castle Hill light

5BF2B2C9-8B9C-40D8-9DD1-EEDA73D2DEE6.thumb.jpeg.cc0374973d0589a69fdff817a2cbd3f2.jpeg

A farewell painting after I donated my Hinckley 42 to Maine Maritime

3D12A541-49A0-4A35-8BBC-52ABE66DB3F1.thumb.jpeg.27d85e5f24249b2e229b8eb899ea6fb8.jpeg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

That looks Rhino6 to me. And very Shields ish :-)

I think you are right about Rhino6, I just downloaded Rhino7 today but haven't really done anything with it yet. 

M. I like your jackstands and a nice hull for the to support. Here is something I did similar for a SA'er eight years ago.

SalazarC&C37.jpg

Screenshot_31.jpg

• Like 3

A bit of a twist on my 3d marine art(?) efforts. I forget who posted the donor photo for this but I hope he comments so I can add attribution.

Hoiin.thumb.jpg.ee8abc52baddbd77bb1b8b611b60fac7.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

A farewell painting after I donated my Hinckley 42 to Maine Maritime

3D12A541-49A0-4A35-8BBC-52ABE66DB3F1.thumb.jpeg.27d85e5f24249b2e229b8eb899ea6fb8.jpeg

God. What a nice thing to do. I would never have been in class if Id gone there and you'd given that boat.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fufkin said:

EB826845-BE5B-48C2-BC93-09494AAF5931.thumb.jpeg.e46993e83f340066edb05cd4f767969a.jpegIt would be tough to do my Uncle justice. Both the US Navy and Coast Guard gave it a shot with commendations, but as I’m starting to figure out, you can’t really take it with you. What I do have are the memories of taking him on some photography shoots to develop the still life results.

Nice... very!

Respect for working water craft, good job representing the forces IMHO, see how the tugs are "leaning into it" and you can almost hear the creaking of the lines.

FB- Doug

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 7:37 PM, Benytoe said:

more art please!

Bow Art has a long and storied history.

Pulpit Art??   Close enough..

45 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

A bit of a twist on my 3d marine art(?) efforts. I forget who posted the donor photo for this but I hope he comments so I can add attribution.

Hoiin.thumb.jpg.ee8abc52baddbd77bb1b8b611b60fac7.jpg

Kris Kringle pic of Hoi An. BBY Custom. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

God. What a nice thing to do. I would never have been in class if Id gone there and you'd given that boat.

The kids never saw her. MMA turned her into scholarships for deserving students. A fine use. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Kris Kringle pic of Hoi An. BBY Custom. 

So who is Kris Kringle? Thanks for the clarification. Great photo. I may have a go with it in Photoshop, this was just a quicky in a nice little photo/art app called Waterlogue. 

9 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

So who is Kris Kringle? Thanks for the clarification. Great photo. I may have a go with it in Photoshop, this was just a quicky in a nice little photo/art app called Waterlogue. 

I won't out him here, but his real name is on a lot of his pics. Sails a 1960's Alden named Christmas out of Maine. A prolific poster in Cruising Anarchy. 

You did the same treatment on  pic of my boat, Restive, a while back. Just beautiful.

Hoi An is similar in vintage among BBY Spirit of Tradition customs to mine, similar in length, but much lighter as real offshore work was not in her design brief. I think she weighs about 17,000 lbs, while I'm at 30,000 lbs. A beautiful boat, well sailed by nice people. 

25 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Do doodles count?

B78E1982-74A4-4B61-AE8D-E6438E40A95A.jpeg

Better if you sketch Myron Spaulding and a Mull 30:)

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Better if you sketch Myron Spaulding and a Mull 30:)

Spaulding and Nautigal. Would be very cool. With maybe Dorade and violins!

Hank Easom ...

Rock stars!

• Like 1

Thanks, Love all the boats and photos I see of you two. 

I've seen the watermarks in your friends images. I'll say hi.

Hank needs work! Myron is ok. watercolor of the three bridge fiasco. Excited for the upcoming event.

IMG_0343.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Hank needs work! Myron is ok. watercolor of the three bridge fiasco. Excited for the upcoming event.

IMG_0343.jpg

The two are connected (among other ways I'm sure) via Pretty Penny: Myron built the strange looking minimum volume engine cowling (and took care of her for years). Did he ever tell you about (the elder) German Frer's first mast?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

People dont like pulling boats apparently. It is sailing anarchy after all. :-D

"What a nice pulling boat. Let's put a sail on it!"

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Corrolary," what a nice little sailboat. Let's put a motor on it!"

9 minutes ago, fastyacht said:
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Corrolary," what a nice little sailboat. Let's put a motor on it!"

:lol:    Yep, that too. 

At least nowadays we have cute little electric outboards. But some times, don't you just feel like crying out "Aww, come ON, people!!"

FB- Doug

Don’t forget the solar panel to keep the charge topped off!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fastyacht said:

The two are connected (among other ways I'm sure) via Pretty Penny: Myron built the strange looking minimum volume engine cowling (and took care of her for years). Did he ever tell you about (the elder) German Frer's first mast?

Sadly, I spoke to Myron only once. I had no idea that he was connected to Pretty Penny as the caretaker - it would make sense. He had his own circle and I was just a recent married pauper then pulling wooden boats together good enough for a Master Mariners regatta wet sail. When I had a chance to speak with him about how he built his Spaulding 33s and his reflections the 28 that had shown promise (finally finished 6 years after his death). At the time I was going through an Oakland/Alameda Barney Nichols phase with the hard chine Buccaneer 28 and headache birdboat that nearly always killed me.  Later when I went up to Bodega Bay and picked up Lively Lady who was really weathered and needed a huge helping hand - I knew I should have bit the bullet and bought Pretty Penny since she was more turn key and had the Myrons and Hanks balanced engine box. but the heart wants what the heart want. Getting to breathe life and sail on Lively Lady was my seven year old boys dream and personal bucket list. Fast forward, now owning Pretty Penny, I have come to love and really understand the Spaulding jewelery box that sits in the center of the cabin.

Sounds like we need grab a cup and talk, we have too much to gab about here. You will be able to tell me about the Frer mast and all the other stories we can share. 

I will say that classic boat restoration is an art. It is like engineering, painting and sculpure. I love it so much. It is art in motion and scale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, troll99 said:

@Rasputin22, nice works. what 3d program and rendering?

Rhino3D for the modeling and Thea for rendering. Thanks!

Actually some of the older renders shown here were done using OCTANE but it would not do clipping plane cutaways for showing interiors as well as Thea does. I have probably used 10 rendering tools over the years and the field is still quite fluid and competitive. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Rhino3D for the modeling and Thea for rendering. Thanks!

Actually some of the older renders shown here were done using OCTANE but it would not do clipping plane cutaways for showing interiors as well as Thea does. I have probably used 10 rendering tools over the years and the field is still quite fluid and competitive. 

Ok, Im playing with Blender and Cycles. It looks awesome on RTX card :p

Troll,

I am just transitioning to Rhino3D7 and may update my rendering apps too. There have been so many upgrades to OCTANE and now THEA is doing the same that I find it hard to keep up! Here is a very non-artistic vessel I am currently working on but the environment lighting and background tools in THEA are perfect for what I do. That is let the owner/builder play 'what if' with a design. This is a Gulf OSV (offshore supply vessel) that is being converted to an Expedition Yacht. Mostly playing with color schemes right now.

3D.3.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Troll,

I am just transitioning to Rhino3D7 and may update my rendering apps too. There have been so many upgrades to OCTANE and now THEA is doing the same that I find it hard to keep up! Here is a very non-artistic vessel I am currently working on but the environment lighting and background tools in THEA are perfect for what I do. That is let the owner/builder play 'what if' with a design. This is a Gulf OSV (offshore supply vessel) that is being converted to an Expedition Yacht. Mostly playing with color schemes right now.

3D.3.jpg

Check out keyshot. It’s what I use. It blows away the rhino renderer with zero work.

4 hours ago, m.fournier said:

Check out keyshot. It’s what I use. It blows away the rhino renderer with zero work.

I won a copy of Keyshot years ago with a render in the VSR website contest. I played around with the Keyshot renderer and did side by side comparisons of both with the same Rhino models. Keyshot was quicker to set up if you were not familiar with rendering but I prefered Octane still. I'll look for the renders I did for that contest.

Tried to do an impressionist version of a photo I liked on the internet.  I enjoy messing about with paints.

922091657_87040913_10159557950174251_2284242635134599168_o(1).thumb.jpg.82199e2d094ea50e3f3b4145c0275263.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Tried to do an impressionist version of a photo I liked on the internet. 

Wow... that's gorgeous.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I won a copy of Keyshot years ago with a render in the VSR website contest. I played around with the Keyshot renderer and did side by side comparisons of both with the same Rhino models. Keyshot was quicker to set up if you were not familiar with rendering but I prefered Octane still. I'll look for the renders I did for that contest.

It’s come a long long way. I’d love to see them. Perhaps pm me so we don’t disturb the real art going on here too much.

8 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

a photo I liked on the internet

Bravo!  Could that photo have been MacAskill's "Grey Dawn"?

image.jpeg.2fdbc3d7af8f6cfcea15d63e3e810e87.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Bravo!  Could that photo have been MacAskill's "Grey Dawn"?

image.jpeg.2fdbc3d7af8f6cfcea15d63e3e810e87.jpeg

That is not the photo but it does look very similar to that.

8 hours ago, m.fournier said:

It’s come a long long way. I’d love to see them. Perhaps pm me so we don’t disturb the real art going on here too much.

16 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

2011! So long ago that contest was that I forgot that it was by T-Splines (bought and killed by AutoDesk!). The site is long gone too but I found it on the 'Wayback Machine'.  Here is the recovered page.

image.thumb.png.a443e692a5a3caf2e011c080c5405709.png

In 2010 I also won but this time in the maritime division, not sure why that got rolled into a transit category. I did a catamaran for that one. Funny thing is that I won the copy of Keyshot with an Octane render...

image.png.8d0298726d33556a839f7f02e3e31b04.png

Back to our regular programming...

12 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

.... Back to our regular programming...

??

That's art. Or at least, -I- don't have a problem calling it art

- DSK

17 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

??

That's art. Or at least, -I- don't have a problem calling it art

- DSK

156655879_Sloopart..thumb.JPG.5a34c7e0e7016f4726e019553dbf8e37.JPG

The nautical items in our collection

David Barker drawing of Sundreamer now in care of my son, Past meets present and Okahu yachts by Souzie Speerstra, The Red Yacht, Maunganui and Pleasure Boats by Michael Smither, Vessel by Nick Fedaeff, Unknown Voyage by Ben Young, Origami chart by Philippa Bentley, Oar by Justine Hawkesworth

For more of Ben Youngs work see here - https://brokenliquid.com

Sundreamer.jpg

Past meets present.jpg

Maunganui.jpg

Okahu Bats .jpg

Origami Chart.jpg

Vessel.jpg

Unknown Voyage.jpg

Pleasure Boats.jpg

The red yacht.jpg

Oar.jpg

• Like 4

Here is another painting I did about 10 years ago.  Its at Ho'okipa on Maui.  Sailor is Anders Bringdal, whom you might know if you ever followed windsurfing at all.  As you can tell I really like to do globby impressionist style painting.  

HookipaFlyer-01.thumb.jpg.c9b787b64bf79ca71926d02dd60bc069.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/31/2020 at 11:49 AM, Admiral Hornblower said:

1881885805_DSCN4382.thumb.JPG.f537dc8df0a53e0c2ae09e5404b066dc(2).thumb.jpg.2a31625f6d116fa2a886843f1151ed44.jpg

I'm sure you guys will like this one:rolleyes:.

from this photo 

770 éric Tabarly Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

She is even more beautiful in your drawing

• Like 1

Paging Mr @Bull City.   Bull is a wonderful marine artist.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fastyacht said:

20210105_230214~2.jpg

Great Sandbagger,Fast!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Great Sandbagger,Fast!

17 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sandbagger, eh?

FB- Doug

Thanks! Yes. They are too sexy for my cat.

Looks like Nancy has a few interesting pieces. Anyone know what they are?

1200x0.jpg

1 hour ago, buck said:

Looks like Nancy has a few interesting pieces. Anyone know what they are?

1200x0.jpg

I believe they are called "scum".

As to the art, I dunno.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, troll99 said:

Hanson Oil Painting - Women Sailing | Sailing art, Women sailing, Painting

Exactly what was it with that generation painting their boats in the most unappetizing colours? Shirley they must have had something besides barn green and barn red.

6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Exactly what was it with that generation painting their boats in the most unappetizing colours? Shirley they must have had something besides barn green and barn red.

I have a boat that colour and I used to sail it wearing a patagonia that colour but the latter is on the bottom of the sound now. Hyper-realism?  :-D

On 1/3/2021 at 6:36 PM, fastyacht said:

I like sketching pulling boats.

20210103_193321~3.jpg

Now look what you made me do Fast!

image.thumb.png.32b1600706d8d4ab6a8a5ed91d411943.png

image.thumb.png.8ba5671ae8b5cd16177e97f06727b935.png

image.thumb.png.07b1eed01ecf41410d0b555217aabcb6.png

• Like 2

On 1/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, fastyacht said:

I like sketching pulling boats.

20210103_193321~3.jpg

That's a great preliminary drawing to begin a painting.  Very nice.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

That's a great preliminary drawing to begin a painting.  Very nice.

First i have to put the numbers on it.

27 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

First i have to put the numbers on it.

Funny.  I saw a youtube video of someone who has a technique where he takes those paint-by-number sets, and he does color blending on every shape boundary, mixing the adjacent color, and the results came out pretty stunning.  Almost looked like a regular painting.

image.png.281c072942b1d3e9d54f0cac27304448.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Funny.  I saw a youtube video of someone who has a technique where he takes those paint-by-number sets, and he does color blending on every shape boundary, mixing the adjacent color, and the results came out pretty stunning.  Almost looked like a regular painting.

image.png.281c072942b1d3e9d54f0cac27304448.png

Other than the mis match between water and wind, I think that's a pretty good painting.

The sea, just as a watery surface (possibly the ocean) it's quite good; but it's totally not the conditions that ship is sailing in.

FB- Doug

• Like 1