Bula, 

I have recently acquired Reynolds 33 #5, currently named Manju in Honolulu, Hawaii. The name and location will be changing soon, I have packed the boat up and shipped it in a 40 foot container to Fiji for day and surf charter use.

She is a 16 foot wide model with a newer and slightly shorter rig than stock. Super cool boat, and in pretty good condition too. I sailed the boat 7 times here in Honolulu before packing it up and am very impressed with her performance, but also the neat design and the comfort of the back rests and general ergonomics. We easily hit speeds in the high teens on every sail, but didn't get much over 19.8 (that we saw anyways). We were also being conservative, the boat is going to do 20s very easily I think. 

When buying the boat, the SA Forums were the best resource for information on Reynolds 33's and i kind of wanted to figure out where the boats were located these days and what people were doing with them. I have talked to both Randy Reynolds and Scott Klodowski on the phone and they were both top blokes. Very helpful. 

I frickin' love the boat, it's been a dream to own a racing and charter cat that was this fast and fun. Can't wait to get it to Fiji. 

Who else is out there?

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

• Like 4

Great!  There's a guy named Steve who drags his all over the place and sails the crap out of it.  He and his family are extremely gnarley, adventurous humans.  He's on Facebook but i don't think he hangs around with the low class riffraff in this dubious area.  You are going to have great times on that boat, if you could entice Randy and/or Scott to come sail it with you there would be great learnings and good times.  Congratulations!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ronnie_simpson said:

Bula, 

I have recently acquired Reynolds 33 #5, currently named Manju in Honolulu, Hawaii. The name and location will be changing soon, I have packed the boat up and shipped it in a 40 foot container to Fiji for day and surf charter use.

She is a 16 foot wide model with a newer and slightly shorter rig than stock. Super cool boat, and in pretty good condition too. I sailed the boat 7 times here in Honolulu before packing it up and am very impressed with her performance, but also the neat design and the comfort of the back rests and general ergonomics. We easily hit speeds in the high teens on every sail, but didn't get much over 19.8 (that we saw anyways). We were also being conservative, the boat is going to do 20s very easily I think. 

When buying the boat, the SA Forums were the best resource for information on Reynolds 33's and i kind of wanted to figure out where the boats were located these days and what people were doing with them. I have talked to both Randy Reynolds and Scott Klodowski on the phone and they were both top blokes. Very helpful. 

I frickin' love the boat, it's been a dream to own a racing and charter cat that was this fast and fun. Can't wait to get it to Fiji. 

Who else is out there?

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Great boat; congrats.  There is one on the Chesapeake - I think same configuration as yours - and he races it a lot double handed with his wife.  Don't think he is on this site (not always the most friendly place re R33s) or even social media at all but if you reach out via PM I can try to connect you.  Oh and Scott is good people and will steer you straight...

I had #14 for a number of years.  Trailered it up and down the east coast, down to the gulf coast, and dry sailed it on Lake Lanier.  I singlehanded it a lot.  Loved that boat, and wished I hadn't sold it to fuel my A-Class addiction...  It went to Miami, then to Ft Walton, and then I lost track of it.

Always pull the daggerboards up 1/2 way when reaching.  I broke mine a couple of times.  Fortunately they float, so you can go back and retrieve the pieces.

R33-7-sm.jpg

• Like 2

Great stuff Ronnie
The famous Australian racer Flat Chat (Yellow Grainger) is in Fiji as well... Hope you get to play with them...
Sailing that R33 to a surf at Cloud Break and then a blast home sounds like the all time perfect day to me.... congrats

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Great stuff Ronnie
The famous Australian racer Flat Chat (Yellow Grainger) is in Fiji as well... Hope you get to play with them...
Sailing that R33 to a surf at Cloud Break and then a blast home sounds like the all time perfect day to me.... congrats

Thanks very much mate. Flat Chat is based about .5 NM from where my Reynolds will be based. There is also an 8.5 meter class catamaran from New Zealand and a Sea Cart 26 that are local. 

Yes exactly, the dream/ business model is to rip people around to surf breaks, kiting, out at Namotu or Tavarua, day sails, etc. With the little cuddy cabins we could even do multi day charters as well, as so many islands are nearby.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ronnie_simpson said:

Thanks very much mate. Flat Chat is based about .5 NM from where my Reynolds will be based. There is also an 8.5 meter class catamaran from New Zealand and a Sea Cart 26 that are local. 

Yes exactly, the dream/ business model is to rip people around to surf breaks, kiting, out at Namotu or Tavarua, day sails, etc. With the little cuddy cabins we could even do multi day charters as well, as so many islands are nearby.

Are you at Vuda or Denarau...?   

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Are you at Vuda or Denarau...?   

The boat is in a container right now and I am in Hawaii. We both should arrive back to Fiji in February. The boat will be based at Musket Cove. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ronnie_simpson said:

The boat is in a container right now and I am in Hawaii. We both should arrive back to Fiji in February. The boat will be based at Musket Cove. 

Awesome... At the dollar bar... well that's what it was when i was there last lol

On 1/14/2021 at 4:45 AM, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

I had #14 for a number of years.  Trailered it up and down the east coast, down to the gulf coast, and dry sailed it on Lake Lanier.  I singlehanded it a lot.  Loved that boat, and wished I hadn't sold it to fuel my A-Class addiction...  It went to Miami, then to Ft Walton, and then I lost track of it.

Always pull the daggerboards up 1/2 way when reaching.  I broke mine a couple of times.  Fortunately they float, so you can go back and retrieve the pieces.

R33-7-sm.jpg

Oh man, that is awesome! Small world scenario, but I grew up in Georgia, very close to Lake Lanier. But i grew up in a family of gear heads and we had ski boats, power boats and jet-skis. I didn't take up sailing until I was an adult. Would be really cool to own a Reynolds 33  on Lake Lanier. Thanks for the dagger board tip

On 1/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Awesome... At the dollar bar... well that's what it was when i was there last lol

It's now about the 3 or 4 dollar bar. Still worth it :)

The Reynolds will basically be based at the bar, haha. Make her look flash and it should be good for business. But no drinking for the skipper (me) or crew, until after the sail!

• Like 2

Could anyone PM me Randy Reynolds or Scott Klodowski's email address?

I have a technical question i'd like to bounce off of them. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

Fiji is on my bucket list.  Now you just made sailing a R33 in Fiji the top of my bucket list.

I'm going to come look you up!

-Mike

Thanks mate. I think it will be a lot of fun and a tidy little business operation in paradise. Just need the world to open up!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ronnie_simpson said:

Does anyone have Randy Reynolds or Scott Klodowski's email addresses?

I hope no one posts those email addresses on the forum, that would be an invitation to spam.  @Randy Reynolds is apparently a member here so you can send him a PM, though he has only one post since joining in 2009 and "LAST VISITED" July 25, 2015:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/profile/40738-randy-reynolds/

Then of course there's Google:

https://www.xscats.com/contact-us/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/randy-reynolds-a895b132/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-klodowski-007879/

https://www.facebook.com/scott.klodowski

1 minute ago, ProaSailor said:

I hope no one posts those email addresses on the forum, that would be an invitation to spam.  @Randy Reynolds is apparently a member here so you can send him a PM, though he has only one post since joining in 2009 and "LAST VISITED" July 25, 2015:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/profile/40738-randy-reynolds/

Then of course there's Google:

https://www.xscats.com/contact-us/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/randy-reynolds-a895b132/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-klodowski-007879/

https://www.facebook.com/scott.klodowski

Good call. Thanks for catching that. I edited my post to ask someone to PM me their email address.

6 hours ago, ronnie_simpson said:

It's now about the 3 or 4 dollar bar. Still worth it :)

The Reynolds will basically be based at the bar, haha. Make her look flash and it should be good for business. But no drinking for the skipper (me) or crew, until after the sail!

I can see an around Malolo Lailai race winner in there. :)

Fiji wasn't high on my list of destinations - there're less crowded waves.... but it's on the radar now! Congratulations!

5 hours ago, Keith said:

I can see an around Malolo Lailai race winner in there. :)

That is very very high on our list of goals. Should be a really good horse for that course.