climenuts

How to deal with freezing spray?

I haven't even liked looking at Howe Sound the past few days.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I haven't even liked looking at Howe Sound the past few days.

To each their own. It's a challenge for us and we are looking forward to freezing our asses off tomorrow. We've got 40oz of Sailor Jerry's for hot toddy's, pre-made cottage pie for the oven, jacklines rigged, and handwarmers packed (thanks @Zonker).

My 5hp Merc 2-stroke started first pull in minus whatever it was today which has to be a good omen :lol:

Felt a bit weird brushing snow off the car to get to the marina for a sail but we're off and having a good time thus far (just passing Cowan Point)

20210213_084851.thumb.jpg.071a193df446030fdde154dcf2a82deb.jpg

IMG_20210213_075000_552.jpg

IMG_20210213_075000_510.jpg

• Like 4

You are a disturbed person sir.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, climenuts said:

Felt a bit weird brushing snow off the car to get to the marina for a sail but we're off and having a good time thus far (just passing Cowan Point)

20210213_084851.thumb.jpg.071a193df446030fdde154dcf2a82deb.jpg

IMG_20210213_075000_552.jpg

IMG_20210213_075000_510.jpg

Nice.  I’m just going down to light the heater to warm up the boat - looks pretty benign in the Strait.  Just the mouth of Howe Sound is still pumping.

Still snowing heavily here, and the wind is drifting the snow. I'd say we have about 15-20 cm so far. The snow is supposed to stop sometime tomorrow. I have to keep going outside to keep the hummingbird feeders clear of snow. One of the little birds was so hungry that it flew over and drank out of the warm feeder I was going to replace the frozen one with while I was holding it. That was pretty neat, looking at the bird from about a foot away. 

Pulled the jib out for a speed boost and I am contemplating skating around on deck for the main. Will see if there is still wind past gibsons

20210213_100648.jpg

20210213_100458.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, climenuts said:

Pulled the jib out for a speed boost and I am contemplating skating around on deck for the main. Will see if there is still wind past gibsons

How was the mouth of Howe Sound?  Not too lumpy? Pam Rocks is/has been pumping. (Was planning [wanted] to head up the Sound and towards Gibsons that way, but will go on the outside of Bowen instead.)

25 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

How was the mouth of Howe Sound?  Not too lumpy? Pam Rocks is/has been pumping. (Was planning [wanted] to head up the Sound and towards Gibsons that way, but will go on the outside of Bowen instead.)

It was fine. Gentle rollers maybe 3ft. Maybe 12kts as there are the odd white horses.

3 hours ago, climenuts said:

It was fine. Gentle rollers maybe 3ft. Maybe 12kts as there are the odd white horses.

Yeah, it’s pretty chill out here - finally made it out after finishing up several things.

Going to grab the 15-20 SE’ly in the Strait (hopefully!).  

Steaks are marinating, heater heating.  Snow is up on the mountains, not falling at sea level.  Life is good.

And I’m not steering - the crew is.  So that’s a bonus :-)

F5352A8E-9FA1-4B54-BA64-F0A469A7A43C.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yeah, it’s pretty chill out here - finally made it out after finishing up several things.

Going to grab the 15-20 SE’ly in the Strait (hopefully!).  

Steaks are marinating, heater heating.  Snow is up on the mountains, not falling at sea level.  Life is good.

And I’m not steering - the crew is.  So that’s a bonus :-)

F5352A8E-9FA1-4B54-BA64-F0A469A7A43C.jpeg

Awesome. We are stern tied in Smugglers. Time for a hot toddy.

20210213_144337.jpg

• Like 3

Damn. That looks nice.

Wwe are shoveling snow. I measured 10" and it's just above zero so it weighs a ton.

• Like 1

Take lots of photos as the sun sets. Enter them in Pacific Yachting's annual photo contest. It's a unique time of year and great light.

Glad you made it and nobody died.

• Like 1

I can't even get ON my boat right now without breaking my neck or falling in the water, ice in the form of freezing rain is covering everything :(

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I can't even get ON my boat right now without breaking my neck or falling in the water, ice in the form of freezing rain is covering everything :(

Yeah, my recommendation on icy docks is DON'T

Now, if you had bull rails, they would at least keep you from skating over the edge after you've fallen.

;)

FB- Doug

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah, my recommendation on icy docks is DON'T

Now, if you had bull rails, they would at least keep you from skating over the edge after you've fallen.

;)

FB- Doug

And it is a long swim to anyplace you can climb out :o

Just now, kent_island_sailor said:

And it is a long swim to anyplace you can climb out :o

I definitely did a double check for the location of the nearest ladder before I launched the dinghy and mounted the outboard.

Just now, climenuts said:

I definitely did a double check for the location of the nearest ladder before I launched the dinghy and mounted the outboard.

I think I am going to rig my swim ladder for the next month or so - it would cut the swim from about 300-400 feet to about 10.

4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I see what you did there.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I think I am going to rig my swim ladder for the next month or so - it would cut the swim from about 300-400 feet to about 10.

I keep a loop of line that just reaches the water tied to a stanchion and the stern ladder. Pull the line, down it comes. In sporty conditions we run the line through a cam cleat to stop the ladder from launching.

Our fancy new marina floats still have no ladders, bah humbug.

The gale warning was ended but I find Environment Canada tends to go to the safe side. IE: If it's down to 15 knots it's no biggie. Blowing 60 knots without warning then yes, it's an issue. I tend to look at the actuals at Pam Rocks as at Pt. Atkinson is around the corner from Howe Sound proper. An outflow/Squamish in anger last year.

_IMG5857_(3000x1924).jpg

• Like 3

It's still snowing here. I think we got a lot more snow than downtown did. 

On 2/14/2021 at 4:20 PM, Kenny Dumas said:

Waverly Marina snow load crushed covered docks 

50E39F84-B771-4069-9FE4-C2577FA036A3.jpeg

Fuck that is brutal.

The low has passed overhead and the barometer is on the rise. Beautiful evening and we are really glad we made it out. Looks like we will have a nice blue sky run back to Vancouver tomorrow. Glad I brought the heavy air kite :D

20210215_173241.jpg

20210215_150358.jpg

• Like 8

Good onya, that's one of our favourite spots in there. I dug the other car out today. <_<

• Like 1

We feel super fortunate. We have been the only boat in here all weekend which is a seriously nice treat. We stern tied across about 7 ties to stay // to the SE/NW winds. Really looking forward to the run home tomorrow. Running the espar 72hrs straight burnt into my usual diesel safety factor so I hope we can sail most of the way home. 

1 minute ago, climenuts said:

We feel super fortunate. We have been the only boat in here all weekend which is a seriously nice treat. We stern tied across about 7 ties to stay // to the SE/NW winds. Really looking forward to the run home tomorrow. Running the espar 72hrs straight burnt into my usual diesel safety factor so I hope we can sail most of the way home. 

You have one of the modern Espars, that's luxury.

I have one that was installed when the boat was commissioned in 1984. It's on or off. Nowadays it's cranky so it won't start unless the engine is running.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
9 minutes ago, climenuts said:

You have one of the modern Espars, that's luxury.

I have one that was installed when the boat was commissioned in 1984. It's on or off. Nowadays it's cranky so it won't start unless the engine is running.

Might be worth benching it and making sure the control board and igniter are spiffed up. I'm not familiar with those exact heaters but have futzed with similar units. They're designed to fail safe which is a good thing but having them work reliably... and stay safe... is worth a little time & effort

FB- Doug

42 minutes ago, climenuts said:

Terrific posts. Keep them coming. Our first time there was in a Stoltz 25. If anyone remembers them, they are "older".

Aah...the memories.

• Like 1

My Espar had some troubles when I first bought the boat where it wouldn't cycle reliably. I burnt a couple gallons of Kerosene through it and it has been working like a champ ever since.

Just now, bajakiter said:

Terrific posts. Keep them coming. Our first time there was in a Stoltz 25. If anyone remembers them, they are "older".

Aah...the memories.

Thanks. Sometimes I feel like I am whoring out a bit posting our good times. A really big thank you to everyone participating in this thread and the other threads I have solicited advice in. I won't forget the patience and great advice when it's my turn to pay it forward.

18 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Might be worth benching it and making sure the control board and igniter are spiffed up. I'm not familiar with those exact heaters but have futzed with similar units. They're designed to fail safe which is a good thing but having them work reliably... and stay safe... is worth a little time & effort

FB- Doug

I have taken it out and cleaned/refurbished it twice. First time I cleaned the glow plug, second time I replaced it. I also replaced the wiring all the way from the battery to the heater with oversize cable. Next thing is to draft someone to help me while I measure voltage drop at the heater.

17 hours ago, climenuts said:

My Espar had some troubles when I first bought the boat where it wouldn't cycle reliably. I burnt a couple gallons of Kerosene through it and it has been working like a champ ever since.

I have burned through a couple of hours of kerosene trying that. One guy who used to service them advised me to run it on kerosene all the time because the diesel is so bad here. I have been tempted to install a separate kerosene tank just for the heater.

Or, for one boat unit I could replace it with a Planar furnace which would heat at several levels, start and stop independently, etc. So far, having to go out in the rain/cold and start the engine is preferable to spending $1000 for convenience. 

20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I have taken it out and cleaned/refurbished it twice. First time I cleaned the glow plug, second time I replaced it. I also replaced the wiring all the way from the battery to the heater with oversize cable. Next thing is to draft someone to help me while I measure voltage drop at the heater.

How fancy is the control board? A voltage drop could be the problems (or one of serveral intermittent ones).

My first suspect is always the flame detector. Does it fail in trying to ignite, or does it ignite and then shut down in a few seconds?

If it has an air flow sensor, those are suspect too. If it's trying to light up and it senses no air flow, it will refuse to open the fuel valve.

One of my bread-and-butter jobs for decades was babysitting industrial combustion controls, I never actually replaced them with small inexpensive (comparatively) consumer units but I thought about it. Even the very expensive fancy flame detectors have a high rate of failure. They're better now chiefly due to having a digital sample-and-statistically-analyze chip built in to reduce false negatives. The eye itself has a depressing tendency say "Nope, can't see no fire!" about 20% of the time.

- DSK

52 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How fancy is the control board? A voltage drop could be the problems (or one of serveral intermittent ones).

My first suspect is always the flame detector. Does it fail in trying to ignite, or does it ignite and then shut down in a few seconds?

If it has an air flow sensor, those are suspect too. If it's trying to light up and it senses no air flow, it will refuse to open the fuel valve.

One of my bread-and-butter jobs for decades was babysitting industrial combustion controls, I never actually replaced them with small inexpensive (comparatively) consumer units but I thought about it. Even the very expensive fancy flame detectors have a high rate of failure. They're better now chiefly due to having a digital sample-and-statistically-analyze chip built in to reduce false negatives. The eye itself has a depressing tendency say "Nope, can't see no fire!" about 20% of the time.

- DSK

It's an early unit, so the control board is equally elderly. Without the engine running, the furnace will try to light and fail. I can see smoke coming out the exhaust at a good clip, so that fan's working, and there is good airflow in the cabin so that fan's working. I can try and fail to light it 2-3 times then fire up the engine and once the alternator kicks in the furnace will usually start first time.

After my first rebuild and with the new wiring, it would start without help. A year later, it would start only if the boat was plugged in to shorepower or the engine was running. Now it only starts if the engine is running.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's an early unit, so the control board is equally elderly. Without the engine running, the furnace will try to light and fail. I can see smoke coming out the exhaust at a good clip, so that fan's working, and there is good airflow in the cabin so that fan's working. I can try and fail to light it 2-3 times then fire up the engine and once the alternator kicks in the furnace will usually start first time.

After my first rebuild and with the new wiring, it would start without help. A year later, it would start only if the boat was plugged in to shorepower or the engine was running. Now it only starts if the engine is running.

Hmmmm..... let me think about this a while. It doesn't suggest any particular thing, on first reading.

FB- Doug

35 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Hmmmm..... let me think about this a while. It doesn't suggest any particular thing, on first reading.

FB- Doug

Lack of amps from the battery bank to drive the glow plug to full temp?

Possibly a single battery is starting to fail under decent load,  especially in these cooler temps.

Constant charge at shore might be giving a bit extra amperage so the battery isn't sucked quite so hard. 

Wasnt expecting to see this at lake ray hubbard in Texas. This is 1/2 inch lake ice,  with possibly 4 inches of snow and 1/4 of ice on top of that by morning. 

At least the minimum temperatures have been raised from 2f up to about 16 now.

20210216_140408.jpg

37 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Possibly a single battery is starting to fail under decent load,  especially in these cooler temps.

Constant charge at shore might be giving a bit extra amperage so the battery isn't sucked quite so hard. 

Wasnt expecting to see this at lake ray hubbard in Texas. This is 1/2 inch lake ice,  with possibly 4 inches of snow and 1/4 of ice on top of that by morning. 

20210216_140408.jpg

How often does it get below 0F in central Texas? Not uncommon in Kansas, but that's a long way north from you all.

That lake looks really cold!

About Ish's furnace problem, I'm wondering if it's a concurrence of a few faults. Smoke coming out suggests that it's completing the ignition cycle. Doesn't mean it's achieving a steady flame though. Igniter not igniting? Fuel valve stuttering? In fact the engine running makes me wonder if it's got a fuel supply issue that somehow is being solved by the engine helping supply it fuel.

FB- Doug

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How often does it get below 0F in central Texas? Not uncommon in Kansas, but that's a long way north from you all.

That lake looks really cold!

About Ish's furnace problem, I'm wondering if it's a concurrence of a few faults. Smoke coming out suggests that it's completing the ignition cycle. Doesn't mean it's achieving a steady flame though. Igniter not igniting? Fuel valve stuttering? In fact the engine running makes me wonder if it's got a fuel supply issue that somehow is being solved by the engine helping supply it fuel.

FB- Doug

Previous record low at dfw intl was 12f.     But yesterday it was down to -2f.

At what ice thickness should I start to worry? Fortunately I don't have to worry about currents and wave action in my tucked away corner of the marina. 

Regarding ish and the heater ...

It would be helpful to know exactly what happens when he tries to start up (anchored  or heeling?), potential effects of that on fuel supply.

I'd get ish to check volts on battery towards the end of the excess fuel burn, and also run a pump test at the same time... I just pull the pickup so a small amount of air gets sucked in and I can watch the progress.

1 hour ago, dfw_sailor said:

20210216_140408.jpg

No, three Group 31 house plus dedicated G 24 starting battery, fully charged at the dock. Even with dock power, no start, has to be engine running.

52 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

No, three Group 31 house plus dedicated G 24 starting battery, fully charged at the dock. Even with dock power, no start, has to be engine running.

What's happening with voltage at the unit? Voltage diff from ground back to the negative terminal of the battery bank?

Getting into the unit itself, can you confirm that it's opening the fuel valve and fuel is getting into the firing chamber?

If the owner's manual has the control system algorithm, that will help diagnostic guesses. And let me know when I cross the line from "kinda helpful" into "annoying"

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Is your fuel coming from a tee on an engine fuel line, different pickup from same tank or different tank completely? 

15 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Is your fuel coming from a tee on an engine fuel line, different pickup from same tank or different tank completely? 

Teed off the engine fuel line, not the best scenario.

31 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

What's happening with voltage at the unit? Voltage diff from ground back to the negative terminal of the battery bank?

Getting into the unit itself, can you confirm that it's opening the fuel valve and fuel is getting into the firing chamber?

If the owner's manual has the control system algorithm, that will help diagnostic guesses. And let me know when I cross the line from "kinda helpful" into "annoying"

FB- Doug

Getting into all those things. I still need another body to connect wires and turn things on and off while I'm crammed into the cockpit locker reading voltage.

The fuel metering pump clicks right along even though it is a ball of rust. It shoots fuel if the hose is removed.

Algorithm? They didn't have mathematics when this thing was designed. I have a household thermostat in the boat that actually turns everything on and off at the right time. The heater fires up and tries to start but nowadays only does so if the engine is running. I can hear all this stuff happening, so the problem is somewhere in the heater itself or in the wiring harness. I don't know why 12V from the Xantrex charger won't start it while 12V from the Balmar will.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, climenuts said:

Thanks. Sometimes I feel like I am whoring out a bit posting our good times. A really big thank you to everyone participating in this thread and the other threads I have solicited advice in. I won't forget the patience and great advice when it's my turn to pay it forward.

No, post the good times.  Everyone thinks you suffered, and sometimes you just gotta rub it in :-)  

I made my second Gulf Island winter summit this weekend.  Alas, without skis this time - still, training for future big aqua-alpine summits :-)

D064408A-C91A-46E9-BC60-CFB6836E317C.jpeg

29C1E151-562B-4C22-9CBA-49812AB5BB97.jpeg

345F1DB5-B7DA-472D-AC71-1AAE50BB1F67.jpeg

643B7350-8EB4-4E66-BF79-921C1AD1D0EE.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 10:08 PM, climenuts said:

So you survived!  Sounds like a great trip. I had to laugh a bit at all those preaching doom and gloom here. To many couch sailors on SA these days LOL. 

There is a cool pic of heavily iced up sailboats on the SA front page (I would copy it here but that wrecks the rite of passage of going to front page) with the pointy thing still pointed up.  The wife and I were out winter back-packing for the 3 day weekend and had a blast (training hikes for next winters vacation adventure) so am enjoying all the photos and descriptions!!  Cheers.

We had an awesome sail home yesterday in the NWer. Averaged 6kts SOG and 5.6kts VMG without flying sails and towing the dinghy which isn't bad for my 29. Sailed from the entrance of Smugglers right to First Narrows and dropped in main inside the Harbour.

Would've been quicker with the kite up but my spinnaker poles jaws were seized onto the brackets... doh!

Ended up burning more diesel through the Espar than we did through the engine. Longer trips will need some jerry cans or a fuel stop.

The Admiral is already talking about this weekend which is a great measure of success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, climenuts said:

Would've been quicker with the kite up but my spinnaker poles jaws were seized  frozen onto the brackets... doh

FTFY

Congrats on not simply surviving but actually enjoying yourselves.

14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Teed off the engine fuel line, not the best scenario.

Given the unit fires up but then seems to run out of fuel, while the pump still clicks, unless the engine is running makes me wonder if there is a pressure sensitive blockage in the fuel line between the tee and the tank.

E.g. when you start it, it sucks fuel from the main, but the line is blocked. Eventually  there is too much negative pressure for the pump to overcome , but it still clicks.

When the engine is running it pulls the fuel faster and overcomes the blockage, which also allows the heater pump to pull fuel as well. 

I'd grab a cup of diesel and pull the heater fuel line off the tee and dunk the pipe in the cup and see what happens.

If it still has the same symptoms it has to be electrical (grab a charged spare battery to makesure it isn't supply) or controller, possibly the temp sensor is bad.

Our ice is starting to melt 22f overnight and into 28f today has helped.

Ice now 3/8 inch from 1/2 inch yesterday and warm circles are starting to appear.

20210217_112632.jpg

18 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

No, post the good times.  Everyone thinks you suffered, and sometimes you just gotta rub it in :-)  

I made my second Gulf Island winter summit this weekend.  Alas, without skis this time - still, training for future big aqua-alpine summits :-)

D064408A-C91A-46E9-BC60-CFB6836E317C.jpeg

29C1E151-562B-4C22-9CBA-49812AB5BB97.jpeg

345F1DB5-B7DA-472D-AC71-1AAE50BB1F67.jpeg

You are fucking crazy. All that snow hurts my eyes.

I once asked Tom why he generally didn't have cockpits in his boat designs. His answer was that as a boy and young man he hated having to shovel/chisel snow & ice out of them and frozen drains were even more of a curse. Hence smooth bridge decks.

So I built to his design and haven't regretted it so far at least.

FKT

There is something to that.  Once the cockpit fills up with snow, if you don't shovel it out and it gets into freeze/thaw cycles or gets rained on and refreezes -- it all becomes a solid block of ice that take two or three weeks of warmer weather to thaw.  Don't ask how I know...:(

Criminy... three out of four CO deaths last weekend were propane heaters properly installed in RVs - one with a CO detector that was loud enough to alert the neighbors, but didn't wake the victim.  Food for thought...  Wonder if the exhaust ports were blocked?

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/498225-399557-clackamas-sheriff-releases-details-in-carbon-monoxide-deaths

1 hour ago, toddster said:

There is something to that.  Once the cockpit fills up with snow, if you don't shovel it out and it gets into freeze/thaw cycles or gets rained on and refreezes -- it all becomes a solid block of ice that take two or three weeks of warmer weather to thaw.  Don't ask how I know...:(

I've learned to really like open transoms.

13 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You are fucking crazy. All that snow hurts my eyes.

Indeed. :-)

And, now that we’ve mastered the chapter on freezing spray (but haven’t even touched the topics of safely mooring to ice floes, etc etc etc.), before you know it, you’re reading about polar bear protection and planning a trip to the eastern Arctic to see said bears.

:-) :-)

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 12:12 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

...    ...

That looks like a nice snug anchorage. I guess if the boat is frozen in, you don't have to worry about dragging anchor, right?

Honestly, respect. Not my cuppa tea though

FB- Doug

Growing up in a desert I've always preferred too cold over too hot.

But lets be reasonable here.

24 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Growing up in a desert I've always preferred too cold over too hot.

But lets be reasonable here.

Can we summarise that as: you will live in a fridge, but not in a freezer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Indeed. :-)

And, now that we’ve mastered the chapter on freezing spray (but haven’t even touched the topics of safely mooring to ice floes, etc etc etc.), before you know it, you’re reading about polar bear protection and planning a trip to the eastern Arctic to see said bears.

:-) :-)

I can see all the polar bears I ever need to see on YouTube or similar. And I already know the best method of protection against polar bears, it's exactly the same one I use for crocodiles - be somewhere else.

Otherwise, a heavy calibre rifle, at least 7.62mm.

If you have to take a snow shovel with you when you go sailing, you're in the wrong climatic zone.

FKT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I can see all the polar bears I ever need to see on YouTube or similar. And I already know the best method of protection against polar bears, it's exactly the same one I use for crocodiles - be somewhere else.

If you have to take a snow shovel with you when you go sailing, you're in the wrong climatic zone.

FKT

We don't need a snow shovel. We have a dustpan.

13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We don't need a snow shovel. We have a dustpan.

How'd that work out for you this week?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

How'd that work out for you this week?

Just fine. There was only 6" of snow on one side of the boat when we went there yesterday. I do have a telescoping plastic emergency shovel I could drag out with me if I anticipated having to do a major cleanoff, but the dustpan works better in the cockpit anyhow. Usually, if there's enough snow to justify the big shovel there's too much snow to get out there. 

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

There’s a great pic take by a sailor I recently saw of a mama and cub polar bears on an ice floe - 75 miles off the coast (of Baffin Island).  75 miles offshore.

No, I want actually want to see that, experience that.  Now, the truth is, though, getting up there to see that would undoubtedly be a hard voyage—but that’s the price of admission. Clearly you’d go in summer - winter too dangerous and way too cold).  So many regular cruising areas of the world seem overrun with humans - how to get places to yourself away from them, development in general, and wifi connectivity?  Well, ya gotta go far, I guess.

Around here the way to do it is winter cruising - winter in a temperate rain forest, warmer than east coast N. America.  Honestly this past weekend was pretty boring/easy.  Almost no wind, sailed a tiny bit (our timing with the weather systems wasn’t as lucky as climenuts’s timing) -we mostly motored to a nearby island.  The boat was very warm inside - one night, when it was below freezing out, I actually was too hot and woke up to go turn down the diesel bulkhead heater.  We ate lots of hot food and drank like kings.  Was lucky enough to be able to do a snow hike.  We were even tied to a dock (which we basically had to ourselves), as I haven’t quite finished my new windlass install (very close!).  Overall, a pretty easy trip.  Just dress warm.

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

So many regular cruising areas of the world seem overrun with humans - how to get places to yourself away from them, development in general, and wifi connectivity?  Well, ya gotta go far, I guess.

If your definition of 'far' is approx 10 nautical miles from where I live - sure. No people, no wifi. Not much development really.

All shit-stirring aside I get the high latitudes thing. Fond of them myself. As long as I've got a well insulated & heated boat with a pilot house and a bunch of deck hands to do all the cold hard work that is.

FKT

9 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If your definition of 'far' is approx 10 nautical miles from where I live - sure. No people, no wifi. Not much development really.

All shit-stirring aside I get the high latitudes thing. Fond of them myself. As long as I've got a well insulated & heated boat with a pilot house and a bunch of deck hands to do all the cold hard work that is.

FKT

I actually mean where there’s no development - wilderness (or quasi-wilderness) cruising.  Not so easy to do anymore.

I actually sorta feel that comfort is the enemy - I didn’t coin that expression, another “famous” sailor did.  I’ve been in a house for work recently that has several $7000 heated/bidet-type toilets.  Major First World problem if you feel like you need stupid shit like this in your house.  What’s happening to people?  

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I actually mean where there’s no development - wilderness (or quasi-wilderness) cruising.  Not so easy to do anymore.

I actually sorta feel that comfort is the enemy - I didn’t coin that expression, another “famous” sailor did.  I’ve been in a house for work recently that has several $7000 heated/bidet-type toilets.  Major First World problem if you feel like you need stupid shit like this in your house.  What’s happening to people?  

There's a balance. I like my bidet toilet, tricked out kitchen, and big bed when I'm at home. I'm also perfectly happy spending 10 days on the boat with one pan, portable bidet, and sleeping on the fold-out settee. You just have to make choices. It's the population that wants to have the seclusion and self-reliance while also having heated bidets and wifi connectivity that are the issue.

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It's very easy here.

People get lost and die within "sight" of Vancouver.

One day or so on a boat gets you out of cell phone range or any other signs of civilization.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:44 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I suspect much high latitude sailing is generally done in summer, with the exception perhaps of winter cruising in Chilean Patagonia, which is (I think) *relatively* mild (not -10 to -20 kinda cold).  Paging @Cisco... )Certainly no one is sailing to Antrcatica in winter.

15DDA8B8-F4A1-485C-9A2A-D83D668D4CD0.jpeg

A few days late.... ho hum...

Patagonia in winter is milder than Texas.......

Yes it can get down to maybe -5 or -10 C .... never seen that myself  but read about it in a book once....

And freezing spray? I don't do spray freezing or otherwise.....

I have never seen the sea freeze... only in inlets where the fresh water coming down from higher ground freezes... and never thick enough to walk on.

First shot August 07 Seno Pia west arm which has two large glaciers feeding it.

Second photo is Moonlight shadow in May 08.... Alex sailed to S Georgia with Bob Shepton on Novara in 2017.

IMG_4798.jpg

DSC_0743.JPG.jpg

• Like 1

This was September 2018 near Puerto Eden  ... the only snow and the only other yacht we had seen since we left TDF about a month earlier.The wind brought it up from the south east.

P9290151.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

This might not be the best day to go sailing. Don't see this one very often.

985676622_Screenshot_2021-02-23HaroStrait-GeorgiaBasin-EnvironmentCanada.thumb.png.44f84896ec60e8e8009d35e03f52d160.png

But if you don't go sailing, how are you going to watch the waterspouts?

FB- Doug

49 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

But if you don't go sailing, how are you going to watch the waterspouts?

FB- Doug

Been there, done that. Not interested in doing it again. At least we were inside for the heavy hail.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I find the best way to deal with freezing spray is to stay North of 40°S and South of 40°N.