Sign in to follow this  
Editor

what is it?

this?

http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/introducing-a-fuel-efficient-power-trimaran/

Not exact, but awful close.

• Like 1

The latest greatest ion sail drive Gyrocopter Proa!
Clearly the best Proa for everything. Everywhere. 
prove me wrong!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanne said:

Might Paul B. be up to sth. again?

If Paul can use flat panels for construction efficiency, he will. Too swoopy for him

IDK what it is, but it appears to be a foiling power tri. I'll be curious to hear the thinking behind it. Seems to me that a foiling power cat makes more sense than a tri just because it has a bridgedeck. 

Something like this: 

• Like 2

Totaro and the power tri are both designed and built by Brandon Davis/Turn Point design. He's now doing a re-design of Totaro for a big firm testing alternative power sources.

• Like 3

Speaking of foiling powerboats, this sounds interesting. A 30% increase in fuel efficiency is huge. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, huey 2 said:

Brandon Mobile

Good find but not a great video.  More than one minute spent glassing one panel, the rest is still shots.  Hope he gets better, looking forward to more.  Kite boat?

Nothing about it on the Turn Point Design web site?  http://www.turnpointdesign.com/

A prime example of a multihull that has "ditched the rig" 

Good to see new and different thinking in regards to powering up multihulls.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:27 PM, MisterMoon said:

IDK what it is, but it appears to be a foiling power tri. I'll be curious to hear the thinking behind it. Seems to me that a foiling power cat makes more sense than a tri just because it has a bridgedeck. 

Something like this: 

Having been the owner of both the original green tri linked to above (and shown in the video below) and this cat (Totoro), for me they are both great but have different uses.   The tri that started the thread was a conversation that started between the owner/builder and Brandon @ Turn point design after we launched and played with the green tri.

Think of the cat as a hybrid mini van.    Pretty efficient, super comfortable and practical for lugging gear and kids around.

Think of the tri more like a motorbike.  Ridiculously efficient, really fun and smooth.     This new one is a newer, bigger version of the green one that I believe he is planning to be fully electric and maybe a kite.

We have modified the cat a few times, that video was after the last modifications and as Russel says, there is more development with better funding/tech for the next version.     I'd love to build a new version of tri with everything we learned....

• Like 5

Well I feel the need to apologize for that jumble of text, I am clearly a bad multi tasker, that could have been a lot clearer : ( 

d

Dalt's new toy being built in China

@nige how fast was that tri going in the video and what HP? ...looks like about a 25 to me... and if it is where do you get a 25" pitch prop for a 25? :D

I'm a minivan/pickup/wagon kind of guy so I'm all in on the cat, but that tri looked like fun.

40 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

@nige how fast was that tri going in the video and what HP? ...looks like about a 25 to me... and if it is where do you get a 25" pitch prop for a 25? :D

I'm a minivan/pickup/wagon kind of guy so I'm all in on the cat, but that tri looked like fun.

22kts was the cruising/max speed  - which were basically one and the same thing when you run with a 20hp.  (I'm not very patient ;) ).   It would be really fun to play with a boat like that and burn some money playing with different foil setups to really see what you can do with a 20, we never iterated that setup.

I really miss that boat but yes, I'm the same way, the cat/mini van is such a good platform for so many more things, especially winter commuting around the islands.     (Obviously being a brat, I want both)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

That's a Yamaha 20 on the tri. It's a rocket!

Is your new run about on the water Russel?

Working on the trailer. The boat is ready for a trial run. I'll come up and take you for a burn. Only 20 hp so you won't need a helmet or anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

Working on the trailer. The boat is ready for a trial run. I'll come up and take you for a burn. Only 20 hp so you won't need a helmet or anything.

I'd love that.   I feel like I've gone to the dark side by putting 40's on Totoro (well, that and what we had to do to the sterns to keep them floating) but its SO nice cruise at speed with some to play with when necessary.    1st world problems ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nige said:

22kts was the cruising/max speed  - which were basically one and the same thing when you run with a 20hp.  (I'm not very patient ;) ).   It would be really fun to play with a boat like that and burn some money playing with different foil setups to really see what you can do with a 20, we never iterated that setup.

I really miss that boat but yes, I'm the same way, the cat/mini van is such a good platform for so many more things, especially winter commuting around the islands.     (Obviously being a brat, I want both)

If ever I have a financial windfall, I think I'd like to commission a foiling cat like your Tortoro in carbon/foam. 

Do you have any more details on Totoro you could share?  LOA, beam, disp, power, performance, lines, photos? Any scrap would be appreciated. I'd genuinely love to hear more.  

1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

If ever I have a financial windfall, I think I'd like to commission a foiling cat like your Tortoro in carbon/foam. 

Do you have any more details on Totoro you could share?  LOA, beam, disp, power, performance, lines, photos? Any scrap would be appreciated. I'd genuinely love to hear more.  

I've found its definitely an effective way to blow cash ;) 

I feel like I'm diverting the thread but at least Brandon/Turn Point design is the link.   We've been back and forth with a number of people/plans on making it more available over the last five or six years but it keeps fading to the background again.   There are some deep conversations going on right now though with some interesting developments so maybe it will go somewhere soon...

Totoro is 24ft long, 8.5 wide, on the water, ready to go displacement of about 1800lbs with twin 40's.   It was a relatively low strip plank foam/glass hand layup build so any new versions would/should be significantly lighter.   Curved lifting foils designed to take about 75% of the displacement at 24kts, cruising speed of 26kts at 5.5nm/g.  Tops out at 30kts.     Long thin bows/hulls mean you're cutting through chop as much as going over it, so although there are wave periods/heights that dont mix, you generally don't slow down too much as it gets lumpy and you stay dry inside.

From my wallet perspective I've spent a ton of money on these boats but they are not high $ programs with lots of research (that has changed recently) so its iterative changes we've made.   I am very confident the next version would have another speed/efficiency bump.

Some pics and videos here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29l1v61xdn10372/AADOwTZJffShJ480OwBjl1DRa?dl=0

If/when we get to the next version, we'll definitely be showing it off ;). (on the sailors power boat thread for starters)

• Like 3

@nige Very cool, thanks. 

If the instruments are correct and you're getting better than 5 nm/gallon at 27 knots, that's impressive. My 24 foot 4,700 lb 280 hp gas-hog powerboat won't get 5 nm/g at idle!

20201025_120257_Original.jpeg

@MisterMoon  they are not calibrated paddle wheel measurements but having done many thousands of miles a year on the boat they do paint the right picture.   Number of hulls, hull design, fancy foils etc are all contributing factors but the main one by far is weight/displacement.  27&5 is what we get when the boat is fresh back in the water with a clean bottom and minimal gear on board.  Typical running is a baseline of 26kts and 5mpg, if that is off I start checking things out.   Less stuff gets better numbers, more stuff and a dirty bottom brings them down.     You could build a super light skiff that would get better numbers, like Russel's PT Skiffs, or go to a single outboard and immediately get a 40% boost in efficiency,  but its the combination of factors that we are happy with - warm and fuzzies of having two outboards,  seaworthiness, ride, aesthetic, capability etc etc.     The foil assist of this boat only adds 3kts, with more development (that is happening) there should be a significant jump I think.

• Like 2