Maxx Baqustae

North American deep freeze

Just now, slug zitski said:

An Ideologically  driven power generation grid  is California . California  users payout to  six times the national average for unreliable energy 

The new  green deal hype of wind and solar is parasitic, carbon intensive   and it will fail 

Texas just learned this the hard way

such bullshit, why do you persist?

The actual average is $.13/KWH.   Average in Cali is $.20

My rates assuming off-peak, which is easy, is $.15

about average.

Underinvested in grid tech in rural areas? yep.

10 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

such bullshit, why do you persist?

The actual average is $.13/KWH.   Average in Cali is $.20

My rates assuming off-peak, which is easy, is $.15

about average.

Underinvested in grid tech in rural areas? yep.

you are uninformed and ideologically driven  

California energy cost is the price per kw used , plus the subsidy paid for by taxpayer payer 

The Californias system is so bad that during peak wind solar generation time California pays Arizona to take the excess wind solar  electricity 

this exported free electricity is paid for by the residents of California 

• Like 1

Is it Lance from Texas?

You think you'd want to go back home and help the state 

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Well, duh. So why didn't Tejas have those plants winterized? Why did they go offline?  You might want to look at the lack of regulation on preparedness for "events."

Engineering risk management and reliability margins involve economic cost.  Hard enough to manage/guesstimate risk for something that has never ever happened before, but how exactly does one spread that increased economic cost across all energy sources without putting energy costs beyond the reach of the poor? 

As a mechanical engineer, I'm a fan of clean coal-fired steam turbines.  My fair city, 7th largest in the nation, is down to its last two units, generating just 18% of our power.  Less than two weeks ago, city officials were publicly discussing shutting them down well before they were amortized and well before the end of their economic lives.  And replacing them with primarily solar and a gas turbines.  With about a 25% bump in consumer utility cost.  Hopefully, the last week's nightmare has them rethinking it.

Oh, has it made it into the mainstream that the Dept of Energy refused Texas' request to exceed normal emission requirements for each energy plant that did not go off line?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

Oh, has it made it into the mainstream that the Dept of Energy refused Texas' request to exceed normal emission requirements for each energy plant that did not go off line?

Is this true?

I know that rule following is important, but wow, is this not reprehensible that someone felt they had no other choice... or simply failed/didn't care.

51 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

Engineering risk management and reliability margins involve economic cost.  Hard enough to manage/guesstimate risk for something that has never ever happened before, but how exactly does one spread that increased economic cost across all energy sources without putting energy costs beyond the reach of the poor? 

As a mechanical engineer, I'm a fan of clean coal-fired steam turbines.  My fair city, 7th largest in the nation, is down to its last two units, generating just 18% of our power.  Less than two weeks ago, city officials were publicly discussing shutting them down well before they were amortized and well before the end of their economic lives.  And replacing them with primarily solar and a gas turbines.  With about a 25% bump in consumer utility cost.  Hopefully, the last week's nightmare has them rethinking it.

Coal has its place in the energy grid ....easy to keep a big pile of coal  outback for when the going gets tough 

And texas needs to add more on site fuel storage for  its gas powered  assets 

nothing wrong with nuclear   Super high energy density , long service life , co2 free

1 hour ago, RedTuna said:

Umm,never happened before? Incorrect. Happened 10 years ago.

all this mumbo-jumbo about fuel sources ignores what really happened. A failure of the regulatory regime. 

2 hours ago, RedTuna said:

As a mechanical engineer, I'm a fan of clean coal-fired steam turbines.

"Clean coal".... You haven't really been paying attention for the last 40 years or so, have you?.

"Clean coal" is like saying "Clean dirt", or "Clean shit"..... They don't exist, except in corporate minds, or the minds of politicians/lobbyists paid to believe in "Clean coal"....

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Umm,never happened before? Incorrect. Happened 10 years ago.

You're right. I stand corrected.  I remember the bitter cold snap and icing but do not remember any blackouts.  But I see now ERCOT was about 7000 MW down on 2/2/11 but the numbers improved hourly.  It was over in eight hours.  http://www.ercot.com/news/press_releases/2011/nr02-02-11b

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

As a mechanical engineer, I'm a fan of clean coal-fired steam turbines.

"Clean coal".... You haven't really been paying attention for the last 40 years or so, have you?.

"Clean coal" is like saying "Clean dirt", or "Clean shit"..... They don't exist, except in corporate minds, or the minds of politicians/lobbyists paid to believe in "Clean coal"....

Ever hear of USC and HELE?  CCS-SG EGUs? LNS-CAP?  Fluidized bed combustion (going back 40 years, just for you)?  No, because you're just another fuckwit with a ignorant opinion.  But to be fair, I'm just another fuckwit with an informed, technical opinion.

• Like 1

No, because you're just another fuckwit with a ignorant opinion.  

...and they have offspring....  (and before getting offensive it might go to PA and then I can get really offensive:lol:)

4 hours ago, silent bob said:

It's 25.5° in Los Angeles, today.

That's 25.5°C, a balmy 78°F!

Yeah, like we couldn't convert it in our heads.

Ever hear of USC and HELE?  CCS-SG EGUs? LNS-CAP?  Fluidized bed combustion (going back 40 years, just for you)?  No, because you're just another fuckwit with a ignorant opinion.  But to be fair, I'm just another fuckwit with an informed, technical opinion.

I'm a fuckwit with more education in my little finger than you have in your entire family.

Get a grip, child.

10 hours ago, slug zitski said:

No wind  equals no wind power 

no sun  equals no solar power 

this is the definition of an  unreliable energy source 

as far as winter protection . Sounds good .  I’m sure that to be on the safe side Miami should purchase a fleet of snow plows and stockpile road salt 

To be reliable power generation must fueled by stored energy ..gas , oil , nuclear

there is no other solution 

If you said so it must be so.  Is there an explanation for your proclamation?  Or does your stupidity just hit you like a strike of lightning? 

10 hours ago, slug zitski said:

as far as winter protection . Sounds good .  I’m sure that to be on the safe side Miami should purchase a fleet of snow plows and stockpile road salt 

To be reliable power generation must fueled by stored energy ..gas , oil , nuclear

There is a brand new shining nuclear facility here in Georgia of the USA.  Would you bet your retirement money on it?  Come on, the cost over runs tend to be part of the job.  If I was a carnival barker I could do this better. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, oil is yesterday and the future doesn't care for that cesspool. 

11 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Stored, yes, gas, oil, nuclear, while traditional, in the future may not be the only or even the best choice:

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/australia-picks-massive-tesla-battery-to-ease-transmission-constraint

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/25/will-pumped-hydro-energy-storage-really-get-the-us-to-more-wind-solar/

12 hours ago, slug zitski said:

You don’t understand the numbers 

your quoted figures are total generating capacity , not real time energy generation

real time  is a function of energy generating capacity and energy consumption 

Because renewables are unreliable In real time  ,wind and  solar generation are given  consumption priority  .

100 percent of this wind,solar  generated power  is consumed   while   base load power is throttled back 

In  Texas,  with the near total loss of wind and solar at the same time that energy consumption spiked,  base load generation capacity could not respond  

Two  lessons from the Texas power failure  are clear .

wind and solar power  are unreliable . Only base load conventional fuel can power the grid 

in Texas , many base load gas fired generators were using  just in time gas delivery via pipeline  . This was a mistake , additional fuel must be stored at the generating site to guard against supply disruption 

yeah, all bullshit put out by batshit crazy people..   post some facts not something qanon..     fact is you didn't read the pdf i linked to which shot your stupid statement that they are used "real time"... 

225 MW of installed battery storage as of Jan. 2021

and please tell me , how , once energy is converted to electricity, how does a provider  tell the difference between renewable and other? 

fake-news-1024x578.png

7 hours ago, RedTuna said:

that's an oxymoron...    clean as compared to old coal fired plants?     

the fact is,  after all the studies and recommendations done in 2011,  none of it was implemented,    "too expensive"....   recomendations to store natural gas in reserves... "too expensive"    texas has enough resources to meet the demand this past week,  poorly maintained infrastructure  due to zero regualtion by the state government is the reason for all the shortage...       as i'd said earlier, I'd like to see average outage time by zip code ..  there are whole urban cities that didn't get one blackout, yet my zip had about 8...    

29 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

due to zero regualtion by the state government is the reason for all the shortage...       as i'd said earlier, I'd like to see average outage time by zip code ..  there are whole urban cities that didn't get one blackout, yet my zip had about 8...    

Donated to the wrong party last year?

2 hours ago, warbird said:

...and they have offspring....  (and before getting offensive it might go to PA and then I can get really offensive:lol:)

Not really, you just get more visibly stupid.

1 hour ago, hasher said:

If you said so it must be so.  Is there an explanation for your proclamation?  Or does your stupidity just hit you like a strike of lightning? 

It appears to be a phase thing with Sluggo - he can go a long time posting useful and interesting stuff and then he drops into a hole like this for a bit.

He'll come out of it - just ignore him for a while.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that's an oxymoron...    clean as compared to old coal fired plants?     

the fact is,  after all the studies and recommendations done in 2011,  none of it was implemented,    "too expensive"....   recomendations to store natural gas in reserves... "too expensive"    texas has enough resources to meet the demand this past week,  poorly maintained infrastructure  due to zero regualtion by the state government is the reason for all the shortage...       as i'd said earlier, I'd like to see average outage time by zip code ..  there are whole urban cities that didn't get one blackout, yet my zip had about 8...    

I can tell you that one very nicely-incomed neighborhood in Houston had a brief blackout, decent wi-fi for battery-operated computers and phones and no water problems.  About what you'd expect.

2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

I can tell you that one very nicely-incomed neighborhood in Houston had a brief blackout, decent wi-fi for battery-operated computers and phones and no water problems.  About what you'd expect.

there was a whole corridor up the middle of dallas that didn't experience one blackout,  where most of the houses are 5000+ sqft  , surprisingly enough during the blackouts i didn't have one cellular glitch.. i'm clueless on how 4g towers are powered,  but no problems, none..

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

there was a whole corridor up the middle of dallas that didn't experience one blackout,  where most of the houses are 5000+ sqft  , surprisingly enough during the blackouts i didn't have one cellular glitch.. i'm clueless on how 4g towers are powered,  but no problems, none..

Most Cell towers this side of the pond have standby generators in the cabin at the foot of the mast, they'll last a couple of days before needing refueling.

• Like 1

My pals in a high dollar part of Austin didn't lose power. Here's a quote: "So much luckier than most. Plenty of food, edibles & bud."

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

My pals in a high dollar part of Austin didn't lose power. Here's a quote: "So much luckier than most. Plenty of food, edibles & bud."

now, now,  that's still illegal in texas...  probably for the next millennial..

14 hours ago, Left Shift said:

no water outages and we didn't get any  don't drink the tapwater notices, but my wife did notice a higher concentration of chlorine/chloromines in the water..

saw recommendations if you did get the boil water notice to   replace all water filters including the fridge  nothing like adding a couple hundred bucks to an already deplorable situation..  

12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
15 hours ago, Left Shift said:

No anythinge aboute Keller?  Werre they hitte harde>

In River Oaks, I believe the residents were alerted that some domestic staff might request sleep-over privileges, and should consider such requests carefully.  

6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

No anythinge aboute Keller?  Werre they hitte harde>

didn't hear anything bad about keller,   use to work up in that neighborhood...      if you ever get there,  eat at Chef Point in Watauga

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

It’s Austin. Things are different there. Have been for a long time. 

8 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Tell that to Willie.:D

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wille do, thackes.  Joine me if so?

you bet

also,  cabella's is just around the corner from kellers , an interesting walk through if you've never been to one...  it also has an awesome aquarium in it..

On 2/22/2021 at 7:10 AM, slug zitski said:

WTF are you on about old man?

Are rolling blackouts in Germany a thing when it gets cold? 46% of their grid is renewable!!! So fuck off! 

Car brands are giving up on fossil fuel.... Keep up dinosaur! 

I tell my kids and their friends that my generation of old people will not act on climate because of your tired, old, uniformed thinking...

Are you with Q?

2 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Are rolling blackouts in Germany a thing when it gets cold? 46% of their grid is renewable!!! So fuck off! 

I tell my kids and their friends that my generation of old people will not act on climate because of your tired, old, uniformed thinking...

He’s another lunatic that gets regularly ignored. 

12 minutes ago, mad said:

He’s another lunatic that gets regularly ignored. 

Good to know!

35 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Are you with Q?

I'm guessing that idiot never heard of battery storage, or geothermal storage....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Uniforms?  Nobody has breathed a word about uniforms!

• Like 1

Uniformed uninformed legions.

My neighbor's father, who has been down from Iowa for the last month, working on fixing his truck in my garage, thinks that masks, social distancing, and reducing capacity of restaurants and bars is stupid, and costing people money. This is a guy on full disability after losing his leg in the Navy due to an accident (not combat) who makes more money than I ever did and has more benefits than I'll ever have, and thinks that everyone should give him more.

He's a nice guy, but dumb as a box of hammers. Smokes 2 packs a day, drinks a 12 pack before noon, and just about ripped his thumb off doing something stupid with a comealong, a very big deadfall tree, and a pickup truck.

I fixed the tree situation for him the next day, but..... It boggles the mind sometimes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Good to know!

but he does have some good big-yacht knowledge. He's just a neanderthal on some shit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Sorry about that...

• Like 1

Just now, Liquid said:
22 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Sorry about that...

Go, Go the Liquid..............             :)

50 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

He has a fan club already.

liquid-yacht-wear-liquid-classic-boat-ne

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:
52 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

He has a fan club already.

liquid-yacht-wear-liquid-classic-boat-ne

I, I wille joine, i wille paye, I, I.........               :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

. Smokes 2 packs a day, drinks a 12 pack before noon, and just about ripped his thumb off doing something stupid with a comealong, a very big deadfall tree, and a pickup truck.

I fixed the tree situation for him the next day, but..... It boggles the mind sometimes.

What's wrong with supporting farmers, brewers and ER techs?

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Probably referring to red hats, beards and Ray-Bans.

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

but he does have some good big-yacht knowledge. He's just a neanderthal on some shit.

some is right,  or he'd know not every big yacht has a nuclear power plant generating the electricity for it..

41 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

some is right,  or he'd know not every big yacht has a nuclear power plant generating the electricity for it..

Are they already on fusion? Fuck, I miss all the good news.

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

After 50 years I’ll never need a uniform again and very happy about it. So no need to discuss uniforms!

19 hours ago, Point Break said:

After 50 years I’ll never need a uniform again and very happy about it. So no need to discuss uniforms!

what you need is a word processor...   get writing..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

what you need is a word processor...   get writing..

WORD!

• Like 2

Uniforms come in various different styles.  I showed up in court without socks.  The guy wearing the robe ordered me to leave.  I returned with some very nice red sox.

Books are wonderful things.  

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.

Ernest Hemingway

Oral histories work too.  I encourage folks to preserve it for the ones that follow.

8 minutes ago, Point Break said:

:lol:

Hi PB, 

I am awed by all you have done through the years, you have to get better.  Get well, we miss you here and the world is a much better place with you.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hasher said:

Uniforms come in various different styles.  I showed up in court without socks.  The guy wearing the robe ordered me to leave.  I returned with some very nice red sox.

Books are wonderful things.  

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.

Ernest Hemingway

Oral histories work too.  I encourage folks to preserve it for the ones that follow.

With the ubiquity of smartphones and similar, the relatively low cost of storage, and the relatively small size of voice recordings, it's easy enough to record yourself or record others and handle the writing later.  Google's recorder will transcribe it in real time and there are free transcribers online that will do a lot of the work for you.

It's not hard to simply record your conversations with others.  After a few of them you'll grow less self-conscious.

Many years ago, I recorded my father-in-law as he was telling stories from what would soon be his death bed.  They're a treasure to his daughter who lost him too soon.

The point I'm driving at @Point Break is despite our selfish desire to enjoy your stories, there are others who you may want to leave the gift of yourself to.

Please note that while having an Italian catholic grandmother may have given me special powers with guilt, I actually believe what I wrote above.

• Like 1