Kitty in Drag

Gulf of maine scuttlebut

How about splitting the classes based on who shows up at EVERY regatta? If there are more than X boats, there will be two fleets, if there are more than XX boats, there will be three fleets, etc... At the end of the season, add up the number of starts per class for each boat. Whatever class you raced the most of, you're in. You could probably do straight low point scoring because there would never be more than X boats per class per regatta... No one could bitch about that right? (Just kidding) I'm sure there are downsides that I don't see, please point them out... One I do notice is that boats would likely change fleets if they were on the close to breaks, during the season even... This might be a bit confusing, not always knowing who you were racing against...

G

Well son-of-a-gun you were right about those two race weekends. There were so few B boats signed up, that in order to improve competition, they combined B and C and called it B, then redesignated D as C.

The poster sounded like he was asking about the B, C, and D competition in more general terms, so my response was based on the whole season, not just one or two specific weekends in which you may have participated. Please accept my humble apologies for my lack of attention to detail and failure to check each regatta's class breaks against GMORA. The Patriots-Bears game was just too riveting tonight.

Finally, I'm going to get a little anal here and remind members that GMORA sent out a communication last week in hopes of hearing constructive feedback on the matter. It was sent to every member for whom GMORA has a valid e-mail. The communication specifically stated that comments should be posted on the appropriate thread at the GMORA site or submitted in an e-mail to the president. In case you no longer have that e-mail, the proposed class breaks and instructions on how to comment are on the home page at www.gmora.org.

So ... GMORA members posting here who wish to be heard by the board should be sure to submit comments according to the instructions in the e-mail. Why? Because not all board members hang out here. So far, I am aware of only one (count 'em, ONE) GMORA member who has actually followed those instructions. I know it's kind of against skippers' nature to follow directions, :D but please humor them just this once, okay?

YES!

If you have something to say at least post it on the GMORA site or email GMORA. (Comments will be accepted through Dec. 16, 2006.)

www.gmora.org

AND

Perhaps we need to look at the 'whole picture' of current participation as it relates to the GMORA fleet. It appears the biggest 'lack' of competing vessels is in the B class. Last summer there were 'so few B boats signed up, that in order to improve competition, they combined B and C and called it B, then redesignated D as C.' Both Pilot Race and PHRF Maines the fleets were dealt with in this manner and they appeared to be competitive fleets.

Maybe a class break senario like this will work:

A: to 54 ( Seven Boats)

B: 55 to 108 (Nine Boats not incl. 105s)

C: 109 to 149

D: 150 and up

Wait just one fucking minute? Revo 10?!? What'd I miss?

G

hmmmm.

yeah, maybe i should have waited until july.

:lol::lol:

/c

just kidding max....

hmmmm.

yeah, maybe i should have waited until july.

:lol::lol:

/c

just kidding max....

Then again you could be right as I have not talked to papa D since T-day... :D

A: to 54 ( Seven Boats)

B: 55 to 108 (Nine Boats not incl. 105s)

C: 109 to 149

D: 150 and up

who am i missing? i get 6 'regulars' to 54. revo 15, bdp, pk, 'dito, sheerness (even that is mid-season-ish), and revolution ii.... right?

so, if we don't do a race early in the season (has been known to happen), they are down to 4, right? even assuming boathouse makes it in to 'A' with the FT (still at least a little up in the air at that spread, i think).... i would still think early in the season might be a little touch and go.... (no offense, bothouse, i just forget when your expected delivery is...)

so that leaves a 4 boat class, which as we all know, wouldn't be that much fun, especially considering there will still be a 48 sec spread between low boat (assuming 'dito) and high boat (assuming revolution ii).....

again, i'm not trying to argue simply to argue but that is how i see the big picture.... and, suffice it to say, i don't have a absolutely-freaking-spectacular solution myself.... i'm just not sure if it makes sense at this point in time.....

/c

Finally, I'm going to get a little anal here and remind members that GMORA sent out a communication last

Nope didn't get no stinking e-mail....maybe when I move up to A my opinion will matter :lol:

The FT- in class A seems like it doesn't fit given waterline length.

We know a little about that 'waterline' thing in class A...

The FT- in class A seems like it doesn't fit given waterline length.

as of right now, it is well and truly in 'A', assuming a 55 +/-..... is that 'officially' the expected, boathouse (ie, is that what it seems the already delivered ones are falling around)?

/c

We know a little about that 'waterline' thing in class A...

It's got more waterline than the Mumm or Henderson 30. I can relate to the waterline thing...

Nope didn't get no stinking e-mail....maybe when I move up to A my opinion will matter :lol:

You didn't get no stinking e-mail because the list I used this spring as the source for e-mail addresses for this summer's GOM racing news did not have a stinking e-mail address for you.

That is why I referenced the web site -- because I had the feeling we might have missed a few people. BTW, the GOM Racing News is posted to the GMORA web site regularly and each issue has instructions on how to be added to the mailing list.

Keeping the list up-to-date can be a bit of a chore as not everyone sends their information in a timely manner, so I have to start with the prior year's info. I fit GMORA communciations stuff around work, school, and life, and there are only so many hours in a day. I think I will try to do a mid-season update of the mail list in 2007 so I can pick up any stragglers. Better yet, with our web site tweaking we may be able to find a technological solution to this so I don't have to do a lot of maintenance.

In any event, I have since found a more recent list which does contain an e-mail for you. I will add you to the mailing list, but only if you ask nicely. :D

As to whose opinions matter and whose don't -- I suspect that what class you race in is of lesser importance than whether you get out to the line on a regular basis, like more than once or twice a year. Being civil and constructive in your input might also make it more likely that your comments are taken seriously.

Now I must get back to working my real job before they fire me!

As to whose opinions matter and whose don't -- I suspect that what class you race in is of lesser importance than whether you get out to the line on a regular basis, like more than once or twice a year. Being civil and constructive in your input might also make it more likely that your comments are taken seriously.

ooo SNAP :o

I would like to see the classes changed to A 0-64, B 65-99, C 100-140 and D 141-up for this year and possibly changing the break between A-B to 59 next year depending on what new boats join the fleet. I know their would be some opposed to this, but it would break the fleet up more evenly and reduce the rating spread in A.

i have to agree with the weginator on this one. as much as i dont want to because of the sweet compitition in A fleet b fleet needs more boats.

as of right now, it is well and truly in 'A', assuming a 55 +/-..... is that 'officially' the expected, boathouse (ie, is that what it seems the already delivered ones are falling around)? /c

The only PHRF rating I have seen is from San Diego Hot Rum serises where it rated a 48. This I believe is based on the SoCal PHRF Random Leg Course rating system (although presumably SoCal PHRF hates the Ed so they are purposely low balling the FT10M). That same system rates the Hendo 30 at 42, which rates 45 in PHRFNE, the J109 at 60 which rates 69 in PHRFNE, the Mumm 30 at 42 which rates 54 in PHRFNE and the J120 at 42 which rates 54 in PHRFNE so I am guessing around a 55-58 +/-....

The only PHRF rating I have seen is from San Diego Hot Rum serises where it rated a 48. This I believe is based on the SoCal PHRF Random Leg Course rating system (although presumably SoCal PHRF hates the Ed so they are purposely low balling the FT10M). That same system rates the Hendo 30 at 42, which rates 45 in PHRFNE, the J109 at 60 which rates 69 in PHRFNE, the Mumm 30 at 42 which rates 54 in PHRFNE and the J120 at 42 which rates 54 in PHRFNE so I am guessing around a 55-58 +/-....

be careful what you guess at. The 'dito was advertised as rating +12, come to find out it rated +6, when it moved to Maine were boats are faster then other places it got a -3.

be careful what you guess at. The 'dito was advertised as rating +12, come to find out it rated +6, when it moved to Maine were boats are faster then other places it got a -3.

Is that it?!! It should be lower. Where is Bud when you need him

Weren't we talking about getting together to dhash this rating thing out? Time is going bye,Guys. Maxx you suggest a time next week ( Tuesday is no good for the Kitty). Let's pick the night quick.

Who's in?

Kitty's in

ANOUNCEMENT:

In this Sunday's New York Times Magizine there was a story titled " One Spoonfull at a time". It was a mothers story of trying to treat her anorexic daughter, Kitty, at home.

Contrary to rumors and speculation, the Kitty in the story and yours truely are not one in the same.

Kitty out.

ANOUNCEMENT:

In this Sunday's New York Times Magizine there was a story titled " One Spoonfull at a time". It was a mothers story of trying to treat her anorexic daughter, Kitty, at home.

Contrary to rumors and speculation, the Kitty in the story and yours truely are not one in the same.

Kitty out.

Thank god!

We were worried for Kitty!

How about thinking about meeying next Sat. early evening!?

Come on Girls, what do others think about this?

Let's not be passive agressive!

Soggy?

Dirty Dog

Doggone

CKock

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one- Let's hear them...

Well I don't race on a weekly basis on my boat just a few long ones each season for now. I need some new sails to be competitive with the big boys in the buoy races. But when I do, I like racing against the big boys in the long one it's where I want to be.

Face it when you buy a boat you’re looking at the rating and what class your going to be in and who you’re going to race against. When the class breaks become a moving target it can become very disappointing and start questioning whether you should sink all that money into sails to end up being a 'B' or "a2" or which ever break comes next. I for one can't change boats as often as I change my underwear.

And beside why would you want to break up A class after seeing the awesome starts in the PHRF Maine. It sent chills up and down my spine from the side lines. They should have filmed it.

Well just another opinion!!!

"Girls just want to have fun!!"

Welcome Just-a-girl.

To your point:

I dont think anyone wants an unstable rating system year to year. I think the question is being asked here is is it time to change breaks that have been in place for many years?. Has the fleet changed enough to warrant a change? And will a change encourage growth in fleets?

I think there is an evolution going on as we move from IOR dinosaurs to IMS dinosaurs but how quick will it be? My opinion is that we are still a couple of boats shy of making an adjustment that keeps the quality of racing in A intact while "seeding" a new top of B.

Welcome Just-a-girl.

To your point:

I dont think anyone wants an unstable rating system year to year. I think the question is being asked here is is it time to change breaks that have been in place for many years?. Has the fleet changed enough to warrant a change? And will a change encourage growth in fleets?

I think there is an evolution going on as we move from IOR dinosaurs to IMS dinosaurs but how quick will it be? My opinion is that we are still a couple of boats shy of making an adjustment that keeps the quality of racing in A intact while "seeding" a new top of B.

Looking back to the mid 90’s and C class was made up of only 3 boats I didn’t see or hear anyone rushing to move B boats down to C to fill it out. And then in the late 90’s the class breaks started changing and slowly but surely B boats moved to C.

Does any one have a history of the class breaks?

I think B shrank to grow C. And then C split to C and D do to water line issues. Remember J29’s were B’s not that long ago and now they are C’s. Maybe the right thing to do is to move some of the C’s back to B and get rid of D??? That would help resolve the small B issue.

I wish I had a video camera at PHRF Maine that was real racing and would want to move anyone down to B. I’d like to see that kind of competition continue.

Beside what will it cost to go from one old rating system to another old system? Having your boat measured for an IMS cert is not cheap. That would deter fleet growth.

Growing the fleet is more and economic problem in the state then anything else.

Just my opinion!!!

Just a girl says:

"Beside what will it cost to go from one old rating system to another old system? Having your boat measured for an IMS cert is not cheap. That would deter fleet growth."

I'm not saying that- The boats that are coming into the fleet now are ex-ims boats where as up untill this point they have beem ex-ior ( the rack, moose, the old Bandito)

Here is a bold statement: PHRF works in Maine because we have civil owners who do not cheat or wine. We have had a fleet that is void of profesionals and fore the most part protest rooms. While this current discussion about the class breaks has been around , it is not a comment about quality or equity in the racing fleet.

Welcome Just-a-girl.

To your point:

Kitty,

Maybe it's early and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet but you just made me start to wonder if the classes really have changed. Are the numbers of boasts and ratings significantly different statistically? Is there mathmatical proof that it's time to change the breaks? It would be easy enough to look at the distribution of boats and ratings over time to see what the actual change is... Assuming that someone kept the records... While I would bet that A class ratings trend down, I'm not so sure that they would register as different overall.

G

December sail-

Last sail for the BDP this Sunday-

Who's in?

Sinner? Soggy? Dirty Dog?Suider?

Come freeze your naughty parts off!!!!

What time? I was planning on putting the cover on my boat this weekend, but going for a sail would be a whole lot more fun.

December sail-

Who's in?

hmmmm.... yeah, actually, i almost could be convinced i think.... future ex ms. suider invited as well? that could be a determining factor....

what time? i'll see if i can make it work...

/c

Interesting angle eights-

Soggy your in-

Suider- of cource the lovely Ms. Suider is invited.

I'm thinking 11:30

It's going to be a long winter guys- time to get one last sail in!

Interesting angle eights-

Soggy your in-

Suider- of cource the lovely Ms. Suider is invited.

I'm thinking 11:30

It's going to be a long winter guys- time to get one last sail in!

It's gonna be cold!

Yikes!!!

Count me in.

Just six months then to the next sail in Casco Bay

June 2007.

Kitty is there a little bar up there we can repair to

in order to toast our bravery, fortitude, stupidity

and basically warm up afterwards?

It's gonna be cold!

Yikes!!!

Count me in.

Just six months then to the next sail in Casco Bay

June 2007.

Kitty is there a little bar up there we can repair to

in order to toast our bravery, fortitude, stupidity

and basically warm up afterwards?

if we are gonna leave from so. free. me. the closest i guess would be up in freeport.... gritty's is up there... there is the wine bar also if we wanted to get in touch with that side....

/c

if we are gonna leave from so. free. me. the closest i guess would be up in freeport.... gritty's is up there... there is the wine bar also if we wanted to get in touch with that side....

/c

Naw, SS isn't coming.

December sail-

Who's in?

Would like to but I do not think I can this weekend. thanks kitty

December sail-

Who's in?

Got room for rail meat?

Count me in kitty, actually have the day off, and after the last few days at work sailing with friends and a few drinks afterward sounds like the best thing ever. Now if I can only find my mittens!

Count me in kitty, actually have the day off, and after the last few days at work sailing with friends and a few drinks afterward sounds like the best thing ever. Now if I can only find my mittens!

Crashing around Kennebunkport tonight. Christmas Prelude.

Need a little cold, fresh air and some military grade rum to set met straight tomorrow.

EWe're gonna have some fun tomorrow morning.

A BIG DOG PARTY. Oh Yeah!

*grumble* *grumble*

sorry that the lovely ms. suider and i could not attend today, kitty... judging by the sunlight now (around 2pm) it woulda been a great day out there...

we made an attempt (sort of) but by the time we got to so. free. me. we decided it was in our best interest to go home and sit in the darkened apartment waiting for the alcohol poisoning to leave, the hangover to start, or start drinking again....

thanks for the invite and we'll get out on BDP at some point...

/c

Oh my friend Suider-

You so missed it- It was an epic sail- Great day-

left at 1130; got in at 4, which wasnt enough but all the day would allow-

Boy it was great

(and I was so looking forward to spending time w/ Ms. Suider)

Oh my friend Suider-

Boy it was great

It was indeed epic, and not even that cold, considering it's December in Maine!

Thanks for having us, kitty.

*grumble* *grumble*

sorry that the lovely ms. suider and i could not attend today, kitty... judging by the sunlight now (around 2pm) it woulda been a great day out there...

we made an attempt (sort of) but by the time we got to so. free. me. we decided it was in our best interest to go home and sit in the darkened apartment waiting for the alcohol poisoning to leave, the hangover to start, or start drinking again....

thanks for the invite and we'll get out on BDP at some point...

/c

Yeah, we really missed you guys.

Nothing like some very brisk air and bright sunlight to wash away the ravages of too much fun.

Very bracing, as they say.

It was indeed epic, and not even that cold, considering it's December in Maine!

Thanks for having us, kitty.

Best time, yet.

Kitty, his kittens, some bunnies and us puppies

most definitely had a big dog party.

Peeker brought the best cookis ever.

And the beer is really cold, just floating in the cooler since early October.

It was beautiful and bright, almost warm in the sun.

A couple of fishermen checked us out as we must have seemed like an odd speecies

out there in December.

Kitty was recruiting new crew.

And we came in at 4 o'clock just as the moon was comming up.

We peeled off lots of sweaters and headed right to Gritty's

where it was warmer and cheerier than ever.

And Kitty, our leader, was figuring if we might be able to do it one more time.

Oh my friend Suider-

Boy it was great

post-5090-1165256061_thumb.jpg :o

I found this under the Farr 47 thread:

QUOTE(dirtdog @ Dec 1 2006, 10:08 AM)

There was a Concordia 47 up in Maine for a few years. fairly comfortable on the inside. Rated -12 PHRF, quick boat although it never had enough crew on board to really get it moving, on occasion they deffinately did well and it was a lot of fun to sail against her. I think she is capable of sailing to that rating. There is a Tripp 47 for sale that was built by Concordia but thats a totally different boat and rather stripped out.

I was in town for the Pen Bay Regatta one year and those ass bags wouldn't give me the time of day when I was looking for a ride. Way to cool for school. Nice looking boat though.

Kitty was entertained.

QUOTE(jrpytlak @ Dec 2 2006, 01:55 PM)

I was in town for the Pen Bay Regatta one year and those ass bags wouldn't give me the time of day when I was looking for a ride. Way to cool for school. Nice looking boat though.

quote kitty; Kitty was entertained.

exactly what school do you think he was talking about?

can't say it surprises me.

Ok- Here we go again...

Next Sunday 10:30 at the Freeport town dock-

One more sail on the BDP-

Who's in???

Kitty's in

Hi Kitty, sorry I missed you last weekend I had a last minute family thing come up. I'll try my best to make it this Sunday as I'd really like to get in one more sail this year.

Soggy

Hi Kitty, sorry I missed you last weekend I had a last minute family thing come up. I'll try my best to make it this Sunday as I'd really like to get in one more sail this year.

Soggy

It's gonna be like spring out there on Sunday.

45 degrees and clear!!!!

I think I might wear my shorts.

Maybe bring a shovel to clear the snows out of the cockpit.

Gritty's afterwaed?

Ok- Here we go again...

Next Sunday 10:30 at the Freeport town dock-

One more sail on the BDP-

Who's in???

Kitty's in

Hey kitty, turns out stickboy and I might be up for one more sail.

And sailbad's suggestion of Gritty's sounds quite reasonable.

yeah, this week i can 100% say it is not possible...

dart finals are on sunday (yeah, ok, it's sad... but i play darts... at least we are good enough to get to finals! :lol: )

/c

And just to whet our appetites: Here's a link to the sailflow forecast for Sunday 10 a.m. Sounds like SW 10-16 knots plus or minus.

Does this make kitty purr?

Sailflow forecast

yeah, this week i can 100% say it is not possible...

dart finals are on sunday (yeah, ok, it's sad... but i play darts... at least we are good enough to get to finals! :lol: )

/c

But... Do you go to an online dart forum?

G

Looks like I'm out for tomorrow...moving.

Soggy, Suider, it's gonna be a nice day. I know everyone will miss you. If things change, come on down. Or at least to Gritty's around 4:30, I guess.

Wow... another great December sail in Maine, with kitty and about a dozen kittens taking a nice tour around Casco Bay.

But how come my head hurts so much and why do I feel so mung today??

Any of the kittens missing a pair of ski gloves? And has anyone seen a green and black L.L. Bean fleece hat? It seems to have disappeared during my altered state of alertness. PM me if you want to claim the gloves - they appeared in a pocket of my backpack.

Thanks for the late-season sailing fixes, kitty... a wicked good time had by all.

It was a great sail-

Sinner reminded me that we have lengthened the season by a third.

We had some great sails this fall- Thank all of you who braved the weather...

Till next year...

Kitty out

It was a great sail-

Sinner reminded me that we have lengthened the season by a third.

We had some great sails this fall- Thank all of you who braved the weather...

Till next year...

Kitty out

Only a Mainer could refer to December 11th as fall... Jesus.

G

Only a Mainer could refer to December 11th as fall... Jesus.

G

Hey G, it's still Fall until the Winter Solstice on Dec 22. Don't let a little snow on the ground fool you.

Hey G, it's still Fall until the Winter Solstice on Dec 22. Don't let a little snow on the ground fool you.

:D Or a snowman in the cockpit B)

A reminder fellow sailors, this friday night at my house. A christmas get together, and as always the more the merrier!! Show up around 7:00, or after. If you would like to bring something to share with the group that would be great, and the beverage of your choice for the evening.(Peeker is on a very tight budget) If you don't know where I live, send me a personal message and I will respond, or I'm in the phone book. Thanks (sailbad promises that he will bring egg-nog shots, combine that with a bit of mistletoe and it could be a wild evening!!!)

This is only because I've been asked so many times to share these. Be sure to notice Roach Coach. It's not video but it still happened. :ph34r:

post-8037-1165965805_thumb.jpg

post-8037-1165965820_thumb.jpg

post-8037-1165965831_thumb.jpg

post-8037-1165965844_thumb.jpg

post-8037-1165965856_thumb.jpg

There are a couple more but I ran out of space

This is only because I've been asked so many times to share these. Be sure to notice Roach Coach. It's not video but it still happened. :ph34r:

That's not fast.

G

What a finish! :huh:

One of the most scary things I have ever seen at the 'Boozebay' Regatta!

What a finish! :huh:

One of the most scary things I have ever seen at the 'Boozebay' Regatta!

Was this the race where question was "Was that really the finish?" and the correct answer ............."Shit!!! No! Another time around!!!"

hum, I seem to think so........

As I remember we crossed the line, jib down, food on deck, J-35 sailing by to weather........

yet another example of canabalism on a boat...

Hey Kitty, It's beautiful out there today. It would have been a great day for a big dog party.

Do you think you might have taken your boat out too early this year? Smile.

A reminder fellow sailors, this friday night at my house. A christmas get together, and as always the more the merrier!! Show up around 7:00, or after. If you would like to bring something to share with the group that would be great, and the beverage of your choice for the evening.(Peeker is on a very tight budget) If you don't know where I live, send me a personal message and I will respond, or I'm in the phone book. Thanks (sailbad promises that he will bring egg-nog shots, combine that with a bit of mistletoe and it could be a wild evening!!!)

Thank Peeker. It was a freat party. Fab food. Great drinks. And the best crowd.

Hey Kitty, It's beautiful out there today. It would have been a great day for a big dog party.

Do you think you might have taken your boat out too early this year? Smile.

Yeah< I did. I've learned my lesson for next year!

To everyone, a very Merry Christmas, and a toast for a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!!! ( I will be toasting you with a Goslings and Diet coke)

second what peeker said, i hope everyone is happy and healthy and PRAYING for snow!

i don't know how much more of this 50 degree weather i can take... it's time for ski season

Greetings to all the Mainer racers I met there.

I so miss Portland and all the wonder-full people and amazing experiences I had there.

It so feels like home.

Just a tiny note to say

Merry Merry

and

Happy Happy!

The One, The Only,

Lady Hellion B)

So I just moved up from Massachusetts to Cape Elizabeth, and I'll be bringing my boat up in the spring hailing from Portland. My info from PHRF-NE follows:

Yacht Name: "Orinoco"

Last Name: Mahoney

Yacht Design: C&C 38-3

Sail Number: 84251

Fleet: ex of BSN

Race: 102

Cruising: 114

I'm really looking forward to doing Thusday nights and some weekend events this summer. I've followed the GOM scuttlebutt thread for awhile, so I know a bit (a tiny bit, no doubt) about the sailing scene around here. Now that I'm local, I'll have to pay more attention.

Merry Christmas To All!

from the crew of Rita P

And a toast from the flash right back at you Peeker. Thank you so very much for the wonderful party.

Welcome to our little circle Tango, it will be nice to have another boat in our playgroup.

my pops just headed over that way to visit my grandmother and aunt in ocean park. are you guys getting the deluge of rain that we are?