• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Kitty in Drag

Gulf of maine scuttlebut

4,977 posts in this topic

This is getting out of control!

Let's get back to the skinny.

Gulf of Maine Sailing.

Newsflash: Mumm 30 USA 62 is sold.

Cookson 40 looks to be on it's way...post-5090-1132348955_thumb.jpg

Sold to someone out of the area? or is it goung to be staying around under new ownership?

Rhode Island

Cookson 40 looks to be on it's way

$!*$##&! dip pole......

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

gotta get me a mastperson now.....

:ph34r:

Way cool Maxluff-

Congrats- that will be real fun to have you guys here next summer,

Kitty-

baby needs new shoes and BDP is gunna need a need a new .5 runner to keep up with Bravo....

jErK

Should be a lot of fun in class A next summer...can't wait. I wonder what the new Tamarack will be??? You think it could be another Farr 39 ML??

Should be a lot of fun in class A next summer...can't wait. I wonder what the new Tamarack will be??? You think it could be another Farr 39 ML??

with a farr 40 rig

No there was one for sale on the west coast with an Al rig. I believe the boat was named Farr Out...asking mid 50's

2 39mls? couple more we could do one design!!! HAHAHA

Revo was talking about buying the old Black knight...

How many 39 MLs were built?

I wonder what the new Tamarack will be??? You think it could be another Farr 39 ML??

I asked BK that the other day and he said the old Rack still isn't 100% sold (the Euro Dude is slow) but he had no idea about next summer, maybe dad's Nordic, wonder what it rates??

[i asked BK that the other day and he said the old Rack still isn't 100% sold (the Euro Dude is slow) but he had no idea about next summer, maybe dad's Nordic, wonder what it rates??

Arbecia (sp) has done several distance and round-the-beer-cans in the past. Not a sport boat, kind of comfortable.

The Blackfin Hackamatak (TXans cannot spell these wierd NE names) is also gone! No more fully stocked RC boat. Bummer.

I'll bet BK has his eye on something and it'll probably rate under 45. Not sure which Revo was interested in Black Knight...but Ed say's he's in the market...he's mentioned a 39ML in the past, also talked of Brava...Dam I might have to buy an new downwind rag to keep everyone in sight.

Boathouse, any idea what your new ride will rate under PHRF?? Or will you be taking it out of the Gulf to race OD?

Boathouse, any idea what your new ride will rate under PHRF?? Or will you be taking it out of the Gulf to race OD?

Best quesstimate is high 50s to 60 PHRF, 1.08-1.085 IRC, so we'd be in A with a short waterline against all the big boys...Probably be racing OD in SoCal (where the son is) until early June then bring it to GOM for the summer. I'm looking for a BN err BC to basically get it to all GMORA events so if anyone has any leads let me know...

Cookson 40 looks to be on it's way

$!*$##&! dip pole......

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

gotta get me a mastperson now.....

:ph34r:

Yep looks like the deal is done. However I am proposing ditching the dip pole in favor of an end for end pole.

Are you man enough?

post-5090-1132853339.jpg

Yep looks like the deal is done. However I am proposing ditching the dip pole in favor of an end for end pole.

Are you man enough?

have to check out the playing field.... i mean if its dip, it's dip.... it justs adds people to the jibe, y'know?

we'll see.... probably can't change it easily.... we just gotta get mast/pit on the same page as me... or get me a helmet....

Are you man enough?

have to check out the playing field.... i mean if its dip, it's dip.... it justs adds people to the jibe, y'know?

we'll see.... probably can't change it easily.... we just gotta get mast/pit on the same page as me... or get me a helmet....

HELMET!

With all these boats in maine us novy boys should head down to partake. Anyone have the regatta list for 06?

We got a bunch of 36.7's, j35's, mumm 30's etc etc that i think would come down for some big regattas

With all these boats in maine us novy boys should head down to partake. Anyone have the regatta list for 06?

We got a bunch of 36.7's, j35's, mumm 30's etc etc that i think would come down for some big regattas

GMORA Website

it only has the 2005 schedule as of right now, but the weekends/races will be close for 06....

Are you man enough?

As if you didn't need a helmet already..........

G

Are you man enough?

As if you didn't need a helmet already..........

G

SPED

Are you man enough?

Just duct tape G to the mast...... :lol:

Best quesstimate is high 50s to 60 PHRF, 1.08-1.085 IRC, so we'd be in A with a short waterline against all the big boys...Probably be racing OD in SoCal (where the son is) until early June then bring it to GOM for the summer. I'm looking for a BN err BC to basically get it to all GMORA events so if anyone has any leads let me know...

is it a paid position?

Sounds like your fleet is growing - any of you guys coming to New Englands?

It has been a while since a boat from Maine has won done well at our event and we would like to get more of you to come. Heck it aint that far.

It has been a while since a boat from Maine has won done well at our event and we would like to get more of you to come. Heck it aint that far.

Thats because they are always the last ones at "The Landing".

Ahh maybe you out to review results again...GOM boat won class 9 in 2005 and other GOM boats placed 3rd in class 4 and 3rd in 105s....

Stand corrected - I did not dig to deep past the big boats.

No offense intended, but we would love to have more of you.

By the looks of the scores, your class 9 boat should have won overall... (4),1,1,1,3 out of 11 boats.

Stealingbaby:

When was the last time I say a boat from your area up here??

We have a summer full of great races.

And by the way we hang at Matties not the Landing.

I have sailed the Monhegan a few times.

You guys keep your schedule a secret - at least we send out invitations.

Hell I'd like to see the boys from Marblehead and Novy show up for some racing in ME...that would be a blast!

Stealing tell me where to send out the invitations...how about for PHRF ME in June??

Hey Kitty, Kaos tells me that Matties is a gay bar :D

Hell I'd like to see the boys from Marblehead and Novy show up for some racing in ME...that would be a blast!

Stealing tell me where to send out the invitations...how about for PHRF ME in June??

Soggy...i've give $100 if you walk into Maddies on a Sat night and say its a gay bar...

Jerk -

I was just kidding :P One of the guys from a Maine passed out in the street (after being @ Matties), and a skipper from Maine picked him up and was carring him back to BYC. Skipper stops on the way to take a piss....passed out guy falls into bushes...skipper calls to a guy from BDP for help...guy from BDP thinks the 2 guys in the bushes are gay....anyway that's the quick version ask Kitty for the full details, pretty funny.

These guys would know -

http://www.phrfne.org/page/contact

Get the PHRFNE mailing list and let 'em fly. Hell, summer on the coast of Maine - why not? I think people will come, I know some boats that might make the trip...

Soggy...i've give $100 if you walk into Maddies on a Sat night and say its a gay bar...

Let me know when this is going to happen, Dick will go nuts..........

Soggy- No worries...I was just bustin' Maddies' hold a special place in my heart based on the fact they only get 3 drinks out of a handle of MG.

That's a funny story about the guy in the bushes...

Kitty...you rumor spreadin' wank.

Let me know when this is going to happen, Dick will go nuts..........

Stu - You would not catch me dead doing that, it was a joke.

Stealing - I'm trying to put the wheels in motion to get some invites out for next summer do you think there would be more interesting in coming up to Portland for a PHRF ME or Boothbay??

Soggy- No worries...I was just bustin' Maddies' hold a special place in my heart based on the fact they only get 3 drinks out of a handle of MG.

Yup maddies rocks. Love the story of Dick chucking out DC and calling him a fat boy. Could be a rumour, but one hell of a funny story

I have sailed the Monhegan a few times.

You guys keep your schedule a secret - at least we send out invitations.

It's not that big a secret - posted on the GMORA web site:

http://www.gmora.org/schedule.asp

Okay so it's a wee bit out of date... but the 2006 schedule will probably be about the same, just change the dates by one day. It should be finalized by the next board meeting.

I could be wrong, but I think the NORs are typically sent out by the host YCs, so we'd need to get them to expand their mailing lists to get some out of staters up here.

I know everyone here is stoked about the big boat class but I'd sure love to see more Class B, C, and cruising boats get involved, too. B class was virtually non-existant last year and Cruising has been barely holding on.

Portland is a great town and I know some people who might come up to dodge rocks.

I can push a little.

Looks like I am training security for a new Super Center being built in Scarborough next year - is that near Portland?

Soggy wrote

"Hey Kitty, Kaos tells me that Matties is a gay bar "

Yeah, my sources say he would know. I know the bushes story second hand, but it didn't sound good...

Jerk wrote:

Jerk- I know nothing....

I'm sure all the crew of BDP were in bed by that time or falling into the harbor in little red dresses.

ok next rumor:

What is Byron Borst doing as far as a new boat.

Flame on!

Inquirering Kittys want to know.

Unbelievable thios thread form our little neck of the woods has been viewed 3,000.....I think its just G falling asleep with his free hand on the mouse :P

Jerk -

I was just kidding :P One of the guys from a Maine passed out in the street (after being @ Matties), and a skipper from Maine picked him up and was carring him back to BYC. Skipper stops on the way to take a piss....passed out guy falls into bushes...skipper calls to a guy from BDP for help...guy from BDP thinks the 2 guys in the bushes are gay....anyway that's the quick version ask Kitty for the full details, pretty funny.

This story can be confirmed by myself. It did happen at PHRF NE's a number of years ago. It is a SW classic and true to the legendary 'white trash' ethos...

Byron's Farr went to Mexico...there are several of those 47s that sail together in MX.

That marblehead story happened this summer at the PHRFNEs...

Byron's Farr went to Mexico...there are several of those 47s that sail together in MX.

That marblehead story happened this summer at the PHRFNEs...

Then by chance this is the second time SS has been sighted in the bushes with some guy in Marblehead.

Are you man enough?

Just duct tape G to the mast...... :lol:

Is this a paid position?

Unbelievable thios thread form our little neck of the woods has been viewed 3,000.....I think its just G falling asleep with his free hand on the mouse :P

More like he fell asleep with his hand wrapped around a PBR!

post-5090-1133540823_thumb.jpg

More like he fell asleep with his hand wrapped around a PBR!

Hey I drink the good stuff at home...

G

but that doesn't get you chicken head drunk, does it?

:lol:

Three cheers for General Mao's Chicken Heads!

By far the best food to provision any vessel:

post-5090-1133571236_thumb.jpg

post-5090-1133573967.gif

I have found the fried chicken head for G and Spider....

post-5090-1133574163_thumb.jpg

Getting back on topic of the Gulf of Maine Racing.

Another good ILC 40 is now on the market down in Marblehead:

http://www.newwaveyachts.com/page/brokerage_boats

Someone step up and get rid of your aging IOR dinosaur and go sailing!

$140K is a little pricey for a 10 year old slab sided ILC 40 dinosaur. How about this:

40' Mark Lindsey Taylor 40 1989 US$ 69,950

Getting back on topic of the Gulf of Maine Racing.

Another good ILC 40 is now on the market down in Marblehead:

http://www.newwaveyachts.com/page/brokerage_boats

Someone step up and get rid of your aging IOR dinosaur and go sailing!

$140K is a little pricey for a 10 year old slab sided ILC 40 dinosaur. How about this:

40' Mark Lindsey Taylor 40 1989 US$ 69,950

Word is that it can be purchased for less than 100K

Chicken Head Drunk and this happens:

post-5090-1133633232_thumb.jpg

Here is another Farr boat that has been modified for light air. This would be another good boat for the Gulf of Maine. Needs new sails and TLC, but could be had for a reasonable price:

www.yachtworld.com

39' Custom Cruiser Racer Farr 39 ML C/R

Year: 1995

Current Price: US$ 55,000

Located in San Diego, CA

Hull Material: Composite

Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel

YW# 74667-1433519

Move on up to modern designs...

post-5090-1133718321_thumb.jpg

Here is another Farr boat that has been modified for light air. This would be another good boat for the Gulf of Maine. Needs new sails and TLC, but could be had for a reasonable price:

www.yachtworld.com

39' Custom Cruiser Racer Farr 39 ML C/R

Year: 1995

Current Price: US$ 55,000

Located in San Diego, CA

Hull Material: Composite

Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel

YW# 74667-1433519

Move on up to modern designs...

post-5090-1133718321_thumb.jpg

I know, I know!

Someone is gonna ask:

WHAt's IT RATE?

PHRFNE: 15

who's got the white ford van with US 3145 written on the side? saw it in the west end on friday night...

who's got the white ford van with US 3145 written on the side? saw it in the west end on friday night...

yeah, i see that thing around a bunch too.... don't know who it is..

Yeh, It's been around on "The Hill" for the last 2 years. Got a Quantum sticker on it...

Yeh, It's been around on "The Hill" for the last 2 years. Got a Quantum sticker on it...

One of us will have to do a "SA Citizen's arrest" and find out the skiz-ninny

One of us will have to do a "SA Citizen's arrest" and find out the skiz-ninny

Word...

It belongs to your sailmaker Will Welles (unless he sold it to someone).............

It belongs to your sailmaker Will Welles (unless he sold it to someone).............

Not Will. He's in Newport now...

Not Will. He's in Newport now...

I know he's in Newport but US 3145 is the # of his J-24 so its either his old van, his BNs van or someone stole it from him :o

The Quantum Van will have Quantum all over the sides of it. Did it have a RI plate? I know Will is up in ME this weekend. He is moving USA 62 to RI on Monday for me.

The Quantum Van will have Quantum all over the sides of it. Did it have a RI plate? I know Will is up in ME this weekend. He is moving USA 62 to RI on Monday for me.

Just a white van...had some stickers on the back window, but not dressed up like a quantum van or anything special...oh well i was just wondering.

Just a white van...had some stickers on the back window, but not dressed up like a quantum van or anything special...oh well i was just wondering.

Good Lord, JERK, shouldn't you be changing a dirty diaper or something instead of stalking racer vans?

:P

As it is frigging cold on the Gulf of Maine let's heat things up with reopening the discussion of rating!

How do you think the class rating spread should be?

You know what I think.

(PHRF A Class should break at 50)

Let your opinions be known and show up in early January for the annual GMORA meeting:

http://www.gmora.org/

"What's New at GMORA.org..

FINAL RESULTS FOR THE 2005 SEASON ARE UP. SEE RACING RESULTS. THANKS TO ALL PARTICIPANTS FOR A FUN AND SUCCESSFUL SUMMER!

THE 2006 RACING SCHEDULE HAS BEEN POSTED!

The 2006 GMORA annual meeting has been postponed. Stay tuned for new time in early January

GMORA HAS A NEW MAILING ADDRESS FOR ALL CORRESPONDENCE OTHER THAN PHRF RATING ISSUES

P.O. Box 66743 Falmouth Maine 04105"

As it is frigging cold on the Gulf of Maine let's heat things up with reopening the discussion of rating!

How do you think the class rating spread should be? You know what I think. (PHRF A Class should break at 50)

50 would be good because it would help rebuild B fleet......Why doesn't GMORA post a poll on their website or do a mailing.......

"You guys keep your schedule a secret - at least we send out invitations."

Reply:

2006 GMORA schedule is posted. Come on up and join the fun!

http://www.gmora.org/schedule.asp

Suggested racing venues are:

PHRF Maine Champs in Falmouth on July 8-9 and the following weekend in Boothbay on July 15-16,

Monhegan on August 12th for those so inclined.

http://www.portlandyachtclub.com/Monhegan/2005/2005NORd.pdf

Although after last year Spider may not think so but in my book the best regatta in Maine is the MS Regatta held on August 19th this year.

(Any of you guys down in Marblehead or Newport with modern big Asym boats would clean up in this race!)

http://164.109.176.246/MEM/event/event_pag...?p=17157&e=8669

How do you think the class rating spread should be? You know what I think. (PHRF A Class should break at 50)

50 would be good because it would help rebuild B fleet......Why doesn't GMORA post a poll on their website or do a mailing.......

Well we should do two things.

1. Send in a letter to GMORA at P.O. Box 66743 Falmouth Maine 04105

then

2. Attend the meeting in January

I briefly went through several result sheets from races posted on the gmora web site and pulled out the following boats that would move from A-to-B if the classes were re-arranged, with the cut-off at 60.

Scaramouche- 60

Tamarack- 60

J-35's 72, 3-to-5 boats.

Beausolel- 75

Kaos- 69

Swan 48- 72, they raced Monhegan

J-109-72, also raced Monhegan.

I briefly went through several result sheets from races posted on the gmora web site and pulled out the following boats that would move from A-to-B if the classes were re-arranged, with the cut-off at 60.

Scaramouche- 60

Tamarack- 60

J-35's 72, 3-to-5 boats.

Beausolel- 75

Kaos- 69

And how about potential numbers for 0-50?

Scaramouche- 60

Tamarack- 60

J-35's 72, 3-to-5 boats.

Beausolel- 75

Kaos- 69

And how about potential numbers for 0-50?

Mumm 30 & J120

"I briefly went through several result sheets from races posted on the gmora web site and pulled out the following boats that would move from A-to-B if the classes were re-arranged, with the cut-off at 60.

Scaramouche- 60

Tamarack- 60

J-35's 72, 3-to-5 boats.

Beausolel- 75

Kaos- 69

J-109-72, also raced Monhegan."

"And how about potential numbers for 0-50?"

(The Mumm 30 is 54 for PHRFNE)

Currently 9 boats rated under 50:

J120

Bandito, N/M 45

Sheernes, Taylor 41

Revolution 8, Cookson 40

FT 10M?

Synergy, Concordia 47

Revolution 2, Concordia 43

Hot Numbers, Taylor 42

Pain Killer :Mumm 36

Abracadabra, J44

Sonnenschein, J 46

With more 50 sub raters to come...

Scaramouche- 60

Tamarack- 60

J-35's 72, 3-to-5 boats.

Beausolel- 75

Kaos- 69

Okay, should this be adopted, I wanna be a fly on the wall when a certain one of those skippers finds out he just got bumped to Class B!

Well we should do two things.

1. Send in a letter to GMORA at P.O. Box 66743 Falmouth Maine 04105

then

2. Attend the meeting in January

You can also go to the Officers & Directors page under Resources (left hand column) and shoot off an e-mail to one or more of the powers that be. They seem to be an amiable lot.

"I briefly went through several result sheets from races posted on the gmora web site and pulled out the following boats that would move from A-to-B if the classes were re-arranged, with the cut-off at 60.

Scaramouche- 60

Tamarack- 60

J-35's 72, 3-to-5 boats.

Beausolel- 75

Kaos- 69

J120

Bandito, N/M 45

Sheernes, Taylor 41

Revolution 8, Cookson 40

FT 10M?

Synergy, Concordia 47

Hot Numbers, Taylor 42

Abracadabra, J44

Sonnenschein, J 46

Synergy, Concordia 47...this boat is in Mexico

Sonnenschein, J 46 ....its currently for sale and didn't do one race last year

i'd be surprised if the FT10 rated under 50...

Scaramouche- 60

Tamarack- 60

J-35's 72, 3-to-5 boats.

Beausolel- 75

Kaos- 69

J120

Bandito, N/M 45

Sheernes, Taylor 41

Revolution 8, Cookson 40

FT 10M?

Synergy, Concordia 47

Hot Numbers, Taylor 42

Abracadabra, J44

Sonnenschein, J 46

Synergy, Concordia 47...this boat is in Mexico

Sonnenschein, J 46 ....its currently for sale and didn't do one race last year

i'd be surprised if the FT10 rated under 50...

Did not know Byron sold Synergy. He is sure to replace it with something that rates under 50...

Tamarack's also sold, and I don't seem to remember Abracadabra doing any racing last year either.

Tamarack's also sold, and I don't seem to remember Abracadabra doing any racing last year either.

They did Boothbay...but that's about it.

I'd say 60 or 65 might be a better place to start....

You left out BDP, Kitty's not going to like that. Also, I'll bet money that there is a Tamarack sailing next summer that rates under 50. But Hot Numbers will probably not be sailing if it's sold out of the area.

Definately like to be a fly on the wall if the red sled gets bumped to class B...can't see that happening...too much pull.

You left out BDP, Kitty's not going to like that. Also, I'll bet money that there is a Tamarack sailing next summer that rates under 50. But Hot Numbers will probably not be sailing if it's sold out of the area.

Definately like to be a fly on the wall if the red sled gets bumped to class B...can't see that happening...too much pull.

Yeh, MH would certainly pull a super freak.

Do not see the sub 50 thing happening due to internal politics.

Just wanted to throw an idea out there that makes a little sense...

post-5090-1133812741.jpg

LMAO... and it was Kitty who started this thread! :o Sorry Kitty. Wonder if the "new" Tamarack will be as ugly and intimidating looking as the old one was when she first came out, with the patches of gray barrier coat and what not.

LMAO... and it was Kitty who started this thread! :o Sorry Kitty. Wonder if the "new" Tamarack will be as ugly and intimidating looking as the old one was when she first came out, with the patches of gray barrier coat and what not.

What! I LOVED the Homeland Security paint job... With Tamarack written on the transom in duct tape. Not that the blue isn't nice, but...

G

65 probably makes more sense as a cutoff which will make the FT10M either scratch in B or lowboy in A....

What! I LOVED the Homeland Security paint job... With Tamarack written on the transom in duct tape. Not that the blue isn't nice, but...

G

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved that paint job! It added character. And intimidating as she looked, I'd still feel more comfortable crossing tacks with her than with someone like, um, (insert your favorite most-dangerous boat here).

Cool this has gone to page three!

Boathouse - I'm thinking that Mr. Collins will have you rated a 45 your first year out. No sense you being treated any different than the rest of us :-)

I guess it wouldn't be PHRF without some whining...

I actually think they are getting better at rating the sportsboats.

I hope that the FT10 gets a good rating that it can sail to. It would certinally help to promote the class until there are enough boats in the water to race OD.

I see about 30 boats that raced enough to qualify for a trophy in GMORA last year (don't seem right to adjust classes for the boats that can't get off their ass and show up).

I say class breaks should be A=70 and under, B=90 and under, C=Everybody else. This puts 10 boats in each class. I think it's more fun than playing musical chairs for silver with 4-boat classes.

Let's hear it!

I see about 30 boats that raced enough to qualify for a trophy in GMORA last year (don't seem right to adjust classes for the boats that can't get off their ass and show up).

I say class breaks should be A=70 and under, B=90 and under, C=Everybody else. This puts 10 boats in each class. I think it's more fun than playing musical chairs for silver with 4-boat classes.

Let's hear it!

I disagree Stickboy - I think there's going to be too much room between the fastest and slowest boats in Class C that way. I still think there ought to be a class D, and with the way things are looking, boats for each.

Let's hear it!

I disagree Stickboy - I think there's going to be too much room between the fastest and slowest boats in Class C that way. I still think there ought to be a class D, and with the way things are looking, boats for each.

This is great! A heated discussion about local PHRF ratings is just what we need.

Please tell GMORA of your opinions on this matter...

what is the fastest c boat and what is the slowest d boat?

how much of a range