Kitty in Drag

Gulf of maine scuttlebut

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

The Milkman is behind this>

Mum's Squeezebox Juice

Kitty:

What about a ride for the last Fall Series Race Saturday? I'll dress up.

Cheers,

Dirtdog,

Are you girly-men coming out Saturday or is there a Racheal Ray special on "Baking Cookies" on that you guys can't miss?

cookies, uuhmmm.

can I get some with that plastic milk from china?

Kitty:

Cheers,

Your on Milkman. My lactating girl will call your girl...

Sad Day....

On my way tro the salt mine today I say Whiplash all lloaded up ready to take off for the left coast....

Here's to the old girl and the Program she supported....

Whipper a few words please....

Sad Day....

On my way tro the salt mine today I say Whiplash all lloaded up ready to take off for the left coast....

"programs" plural, I sailed on that boat when it was "Sleighride" from '84 to '86 when it was often crewed by Portland YC Jr program kids, including me, including in 2 J35 NA's. Add all the years with Southport kids and that boat might be the most oft-sailed-by-kids boat in the history of GMORA, which is really pretty awesome.

Kitty:

Cheers,

Your on Milkman. My lactating girl will call your girl...

Great mate, I'm thirsty.

So what do ya think, a tu tu edible panties, wool stockings, black leggings... ...blond wig!

Cheers,

RD

Sad Day....

Here's to the old girl, Cheers!

Here's to the Programme, more early sailors, more material, more fun!

Cheers,

RD

Sad Day....

Here's to the old girl, Cheers!

Here's to the Programme, more early sailors, more material, more fun!

Cheers,

RD

page 3

Please note Regatta Promotions does not set the entry fees for regattas. All the "expense" paid to regatta promotions is subsidized by the sponsors. Those sponsors actually increase the working budget of the event to promote the event, get better trophies, hire a band, pay for a portion of the food - drink etc... I think you will find that entry fees have increased since the prices of everything in this world are increasing and if you had to deal with a budget that couldn't lose any money (since yacht clubs and sailing organizations aren't willing to use their dues to pay for "your" fun) you would find it very difficult.

That being said the clubs I am currently working with are looking into ways to control their costs, and keep prices the same or lower than last year. This may mean less "event" type activities such as free drinks, entertainment and food.

I am sure I or any of the club race officers would welcome any of your constructive criticism and feedback.

Please note that I don't check SA very often(as this is my first post since last winter) and would appreciate any feedback in the form of email directly to me.

Sincerely,

Carter White

Regatta Promotions

You know... ditching the free booze would probably be a big time money maker... Hell, you could probably subsidize a decent regatta if you just charged me for booze.

G

PYC doesn't have a traditional liquor license as they are a bottle club and can't charge for booze. If they could they probably would. However, all the booze is donated by sponsors and doesn't affect the budget and often enhances the budget as those sponsors pay cash for the right to "distribute" their product at PYC events.

Please note Regatta Promotions does not set the entry fees for regattas. All the "expense" paid to regatta promotions is subsidized by the sponsors. Those sponsors actually increase the working budget of the event to promote the event, get better trophies, hire a band, pay for a portion of the food - drink etc... I think you will find that entry fees have increased since the prices of everything in this world are increasing and if you had to deal with a budget that couldn't lose any money (since yacht clubs and sailing organizations aren't willing to use their dues to pay for "your" fun) you would find it very difficult.

That being said the clubs I am currently working with are looking into ways to control their costs, and keep prices the same or lower than last year. This may mean less "event" type activities such as free drinks, entertainment and food.

I am sure I or any of the club race officers would welcome any of your constructive criticism and feedback.

Please note that I don't check SA very often(as this is my first post since last winter) and would appreciate any feedback in the form of email directly to me.

Sincerely,

Carter White

Regatta Promotions

You know... ditching the free booze would probably be a big time money maker... Hell, you could probably subsidize a decent regatta if you just charged me for booze.

G

PYC doesn't have a traditional liquor license as they are a bottle club and can't charge for booze. If they could they probably would. However, all the booze is donated by sponsors and doesn't affect the budget and often enhances the budget as those sponsors pay cash for the right to "distribute" their product at PYC events.

I think the message that can be taken from the posts here (assuming most were not drunk when they wrote them) is that sailors recognize a distinct benifit from the involvement of RP in the organizing and promotion of races in maine.

Costs have gone up for Clubs to run Regattas and it is natural for sailors to associate the added value they see in a regatta with the added cost. It is interesting that the opposite is true - that the added value recognized in RP run regattas does not effect the cost of a regatta and could actually reduce direct cost, but still provides a better event for the sport.

The point is that a value is recognized, events are better and clubs should be excited to use RP to increase the value of their events to compensate for the additional other costs experienced or even reduce the direct cost of their clubs event by using RP.

G- I can't believe that you suggested getting rid of free booze.

I think RP has done a nice job of adding to the air of professionalism and organization at races. I was a doubter. When Carter first presented his concept to the GMORA board I saw it as likely to increase costs without providing tangible benefit. I was absolutely wrong.

Sincerely,

Carter White

Regatta Promotions

G

I think the message that can be taken from the posts here (assuming most were not drunk when they wrote them) is that sailors recognize a distinct benifit from the involvement of RP in the organizing and promotion of races in maine.

Costs have gone up for Clubs to run Regattas and it is natural for sailors to associate the added value they see in a regatta with the added cost. It is interesting that the opposite is true - that the added value recognized in RP run regattas does not effect the cost of a regatta and could actually reduce direct cost, but still provides a better event for the sport.

The point is that a value is recognized, events are better and clubs should be excited to use RP to increase the value of their events to compensate for the additional other costs experienced or even reduce the direct cost of their clubs event by using RP.

G- I can't believe that you suggested getting rid of free booze.

We should draw and quarter G-

actually I am concerned that he has been abducted and replaced with Bazaro G, or at the very least some weird Japanese robot pet of some kind.

actually I am concerned that he has been abducted and replaced with Bazaro G, or at the very least some weird Japanese robot pet of some kind.

Is this the same G who contaminated our boat with... Buttweiser... at Centerboard? I would have thought he'd show at least a little class and bring some PBRs, condsidering his avatar. :P

Hmmmmm...he does have that funny leg.......

Hey Mainer & NE SA'ers...

If you know your stuff and have some time over the next 2 weeks, we're hiring on OP to finish up prep for the Caribbean Run. Drop me a note at bruce.schwab@gmail.com. Misc. projects to tidy up, so varied skills a plus.

post-597-1223842895_thumb.jpg

120 people have signed up for the gmora awards and sailing social this saturday November 1st, 2008.

Party starts at 6:00pm and there should be plenty of libations (I know the SA crowd likes these - as I do)

Please understand that this is a cash bar - cash being the important term - no credit cards

There will be $2.50 mixed drinks with Barbancourt Rum, Russian Standard Vodka and New Amsterdam Gin!

There is still time to register for the event at the original price ($27.50) the price will go up to $30.00 on Thursday!

There will be crew awards for all those who show up so make sure you attend so skippers tell your crew to show up.

Crews even though your skipper sucks and your boat isn't getting an award you can still come and have fun!

What do you get for the price:

Huge buffet dinner with hot hor'dourves

Live music by Sorcha Merrill

photo and videos on display of the past year of sailing on the coast of maine

See who wins the gmora awards, pyc race series overall winner, Dirigo Bowl winner, and PointsEast Yachtsperson of the Year

Chance to see who the new gmora administration will be.

Hope to see you all there! More info and to register goto www.gmora.org

Oh and btw, Molly and I will be having an after party at our home right down the street with late night snacks and more libations to celebrate the winners and losers and every other sailor that wants to stop by.

Oh, and in case you haven't seen them, the nominations for the spirit awards have been posted on the gmora awards web site.

you need to scroll down on the first page to find them.

Are you on the list?

See them here!

120 people have signed up for the gmora awards and sailing social this saturday November 1st, 2008.

Too bad the showing of Morning Light at the Nickelodeon 6 cinema in Portland ends on 10/30 -- we could maybe have taken it in prior to the GMORA fete if it was still showing on Saturday... :angry:

Too bad the showing of Morning Light at the Nickelodeon 6 cinema in Portland ends on 10/30 -- we could maybe have taken it in prior to the GMORA fete if it was still showing on Saturday... :angry:

I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it.

Great shots of the TP 52.

Didn't know that we sailors were so heroic and talented.Smile.

Anyway I highly recommend the movie.

If you have time, go see it tonight.

Three hour drive one way sort of precludes doing that! :(

I too saw the movie a week or so ago. Very good time. I met Charlie Enright this fall who sailed at PYC in the J24 Downeast Regatta which he won in very convincing style. My old coach from Hobart College also made a few scenes in the beginning as he helped pick the kids. Cool to see mainstream sailing make the big screen!

Coastal Maine tide change a mystery

October 30, 2008

BOOTHBAY HARBOR, Maine --Meteorologists are baffled by rapid tidal

changes along the Maine coast, which damaged some boats and piers.

Witnesses say low tide turned and became high within a matter of

minutes on Tuesday afternoon. The changes occurred six or seven times.

The National Weather Service says reports from several locations

indicated that water levels fell and rose from 4 feet to as much as 12

feet during the event.

In a public information statement, the weather service says the cause

"remains a mystery and may never be known."

It said significant rapid rises and falls in tide levels were observed

around 3 p.m. in Boothbay Harbor, Southport and Bristol. The statement

said rapid surges can be caused by the underwater movement of land,

most often due to an earthquake, or due to slumping of sediments along

a steep canyon or shelf, but no earthquakes were reported in the area

Tuesday.

A similar event occurred on Jan. 9, 1926, in Bass Harbor, the

statement said.

Anyone experience this?

Coastal Maine tide change a mystery

October 30, 2008

BOOTHBAY HARBOR, Maine --Meteorologists are baffled by rapid tidal

changes along the Maine coast, which damaged some boats and piers.

Witnesses say low tide turned and became high within a matter of

minutes on Tuesday afternoon. The changes occurred six or seven times.

The National Weather Service says reports from several locations

indicated that water levels fell and rose from 4 feet to as much as 12

feet during the event.

In a public information statement, the weather service says the cause

"remains a mystery and may never be known."

It said significant rapid rises and falls in tide levels were observed

around 3 p.m. in Boothbay Harbor, Southport and Bristol. The statement

said rapid surges can be caused by the underwater movement of land,

most often due to an earthquake, or due to slumping of sediments along

a steep canyon or shelf, but no earthquakes were reported in the area

Tuesday.

A similar event occurred on Jan. 9, 1926, in Bass Harbor, the

statement said.

Anyone experience this?

we had heard about it as it was happening at out boatyard, but i didn't get any first hand stories yet... and my 'rents (bristol) were out of town, so they missed it as well....

sounds wonky, that's for sure....

/c

Oh, and in case you haven't seen them, the nominations for the spirit awards have been posted on the gmora awards web site.

you need to scroll down on the first page to find them.

Are you on the list?

See them here!

Again, my applause to the Mainers. I wish we had our act together in Mass. If every PHRF racer in Mass got together it would turn in to a giant pissing match over ratings.

Nice awards, what about the racing spirit, if there was one for the fastest boat in Maine, who would get it?

Flame on!

Again, my applause to the Mainers. I wish we had our act together in Mass. If every PHRF racer in Mass got together it would turn in to a giant pissing match over ratings.

Nice awards, what about the racing spirit, if there was one for the fastest boat in Maine, who would get it?

Flame on!

Here's my vote for the fastest

Flame on!

I'll second that...

Flame on!

I'll second that...

Yep, we sailed that bad boy from Yarmouth to Yarmouth back in 01 (or was it 02 Jerk?) in 12 hours and change, doing over 20 knots dodging fishing boats and fogbanks the last 30 miles. Sure Surprised the hell out of the RC and got em out of bed when we called it at the finish... nothing is faster or scarier up there. The Cat ferry was so boring going home the next day at 45 knots! Dickey's wonder wagon is a total machine. I've been told Faamu Sami means literally "Burns the Water"... indeed.

Flame on!

I'll second that...

Yep, we sailed that bad boy from Yarmouth to Yarmouth back in 01 (or was it 02 Jerk?) in 12 hours and change, doing over 20 knots dodging fishing boats and fogbanks the last 30 miles. Sure Surprised the hell out of the RC and got em out of bed when we called it at the finish... nothing is faster or scarier up there. The Cat ferry was so boring going home the next day at 45 knots! Dickey's wonder wagon is a total machine. I've been told Faamu Sami means literally "Burns the Water"... indeed.

Yea the fastest piece of flying salami that I have ever scene

I've just been trying to assess the opportunities for distance (overnight) racing on the greater Gulf of Maine (e.g. extending from Cape Cod to Fundy). I would include races that start and/or end somewhere within this area. Here's what I've found so far (in no particular order):

Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race        odd years    Boston YC / RNSYS
Stonington to Boothbay Lobster Run      even years   Corinthians / Boothbay Harbor YC
Marblehead-Rockland Downeast Challenge  annual       Marblehead YC/ Rockland YC
Maine Rocks Shorthanded Race            annual?      Rockland YC
Northeast Harbor Race                   annual?      Storm Trysail Club, PYC, NEHF
Monhegan Island Race                    annual       Portland YC
Berringer Bowl                          annual       Boston YC
Corinthian 200 / Chapman Bowl           annual       Corinthian YC
Yarmouth Cup Ocean Race                 defunct?
Admiral Digby Cup Ocean Race            defunct?

Have I overlooked anything?

Yarmouth Cup Ocean Race defunct?

Admiral Digby Cup Ocean Race defunct?

Just FYI, I got the following reply in another forum where I had posed the same question:

The Admiral Digby Cup Race, which had been run by Points East Magazine and the Western Nova Scotia Y.C. in Digby, N.S., hasn't been run in recent years and probably won't be resurrected. I can say that with some authority because I was one of the people who organized that race.

As a past participant in the Yarmouth Cup Race, I can tell you with some certainty that unless an organization on the American side steps up to partner with the organizers in Yarmouth, that race will also be history. Anyone interested in more info on the future of this race should contact .... Chris Kean ... one of the activists trying to resurrect this race.

Another respondent mentioned overnight races from Scituate to P-Town, and Salem (or Marblehead) to P-Town -- the latter may be the same as the Berringer Bowl, I don't know.

Page 7?!? Really? Is GMORA that boring at the moment or did everyone's computers break at once? Anyway... I've been putting in some time to help promote the 8th Annual Portland Harbor Christmas Boat Parade of Lights (or the 8PHCBPoL). So... I figured here might be a good place to mention it. Press release follows. You can PM me here for more info or contact info for the primaries.

G

The 8th Annual Portland Harbor Christmas Boat Parade of Lights is here!

Hosted by Casco Bay Lines

On Saturday, December 20th at 4:45 pm the lights come out on the water when boats of all sizes show their Christmas colors. Sparkling lights and some of Portland's most beautiful boats will parade through the harbor. Come be a part of the celebration!

A Casco Bay Lines ferry will be available for the public to join in the fun. The ferry leaves at 4:30 pm from the Casco Bay Lines terminal on Commercial Street. Tickets cost $8 and part of the proceeds will benefit SailMaine.

Sail Maine is a state-wide non-profit organization formed to support sailing in Maine at the grass-roots, community level. SailMaine's mission is to open a sailing gateway to the seascape and shorelands of Maine, offering broad access to the educational opportunities to be found there.

Can't make the ferry? There are also some great places shoreside to view the Parade on both sides of the harbor! Try the Maine State Pier or the varied waterfront restaurants in Portland. Hope to see you there!

Hey G, Thanks for the heads up on the Portland Harbor Christmas Parade. It's looking like a great weekend, if you've been missing your sailing pals.

Because on

Friday Dec, 19, 2008

The GMORA CHRISTMAS PARTY

will be at

BUCK'S NAKED BBQ

in Freeport.

Great FOOD

Live MUSIC

and your SAILING BUDDIES.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

Everyone's invited.

Excellent. What time?

Excellent. What time?

Hey Haji welcome home.

It will be fun to see you. Hear the latest.

I'm not sure we ever fixed on a time.

I think some one said 6:30.

This is Kitty's gig maybe he'll jump in and tell us.

Hey G, Thanks for the heads up on the Portland Harbor Christmas Parade. It's looking like a great weekend, if you've been missing your sailing pals.

Because on

Friday Dec, 19, 2008

The GMORA CHRISTMAS PARTY

will be at

BUCK'S NAKED BBQ

in Freeport.

Great FOOD

Live MUSIC

and your SAILING BUDDIES.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

Everyone's invited.

It's really the SA and MOR_ASS. x-mas party

kitty's in!

I'm planning to be there at 2000- 1830 may be a bit early.

The 88's sadly can't make Friday night. We are over committed already! We do hope some of you will tll us what we missed on Saturday though.

G

The 88's sadly can't make Friday night. We are over committed already! We do hope some of you will tll us what we missed on Saturday though.

G

Well, the party will be missing something with out Mr. and Mrs. G there.

But, we'll sailor on.

For those of you around, stop by.

We'll have a good time.

Have fun also you two G's

kitty's in!

El Presedente' ....................congrats

should we be looking forward to MoR-ASS in '09?

kitty's in!

My Dearest Dirt Dog-

You my friend can count on Mor-Ass in '09!!!!!

Thx Kitty

kitty's in!

My Dearest Dirt Dog-

You my friend can count on Mor-Ass in '09!!!!!

Thx Kitty

That would be a good thing since it appears we will all be getting less of everything else...

G

Well, the party will be missing something with out Mr. and Mrs. G there.

But, we'll sailor on.

For those of you around, stop by.

We'll have a good time.

Have fun also you two G's

Oddly we have two birthday parties Friday night and neither are for Jesus... Well, maybe we'll see some of you at the boat parade on Saturday.

G

Will we see you and Mrs. Spuds Friday night, Spuds?

Sorry, but I have two previously scheduled MFOs and no kitchen pass. Have a great time!

All the more Drinks for Kitty!

Awww... It's going to end with those test tube things again isn't it... And I'll be home. NUTS!

G

We will save some Glitter for you G!

Sounds like the annual MOR-ASS put a waitress through college fund drive. We are talking "Bucks".....right?

All the more Drinks for Kitty!

Awww... It's going to end with those test tube things again isn't it... And I'll be home. NUTS!

G

We will save some Glitter for you G!

Sounds like the annual MOR-ASS put a waitress through college fund drive. We are talking "Bucks".....right?

She told me Medical school.

So, anyone gonna report in about Naked Buck's last night,

or are you all in jail?

Pretty low-key affair, with just Kitty, Stickboy and C Koch, Soggy and friend, and one other person there. Guess the snow scared everyone else away?? Per usual, beers were consumed and lies were told.

Well stay tuned.

Reports are we're gonna do another one on January 22, 2009....

So for all you negligent slackers out there who didn't make it

because of some low grade excuses like snow storms and Christmas parties

you'll have a chance to redeem your reputations.

A very Merry Christmas to you Stickboy and the Mrs., And to all of you. I hope you all have safe travels, and any family comming in has arrived. Enjoy the day, and I hope Santa was good to you. k

Happy New Year!

So...

What's going to happen with the schedule this year?

The Maine PHRF championships are going to be at Northeast Harbor? When?

I gather there was some talk about maybe Labor Day weekend was not the best time to run the Falmouth to Northeast Harbor race? Maybe that will be scheduled just prior to the PHRF Maines?

The survey from the PYC about the Monhegan Race raised a question about changing the date of that event?

Camden-Castine apparently didn't work out too well last year? Will this go by the boards? What might replace it?

Maine Rocks Race is moving to late August. Stay tuned for the date.

Do I care? What is the Maine Rocks Race?

It's a 112-mile race starting and ending in Rockland for single- and double-handed boats (not a GMORA event). Last year it took place over the weekend of September 12 & 13 with ten boats entered.

It's a 112-mile race starting and ending in Rockland for single- and double-handed boats (not a GMORA event). Last year it took place over the weekend of September 12 & 13 with ten boats entered.

Sounds like another great race GMORA is ignoring.

As far as I can tell (this is my 2nd season involved in GMORA) GMORA doesn't "ignore" races. Any race in the Gulf of Maine can be a "scored" GMORA event. Remember GMORA essentially exists to score events in a season across a variety of races, and promote sailboat racing. So the organizing body for the Rocks Race can contact the GMORA board and join GMORA if they choose to. (go to the GMORA website for contact info, or PM me.)

There are plenty of races run that organizing groups don't score through GMORA, and that is fine. (One design classes come to mind, and lots of weekday club racing)

As for the upcoming season, there seems to be more races on the schedule than last year. Most of the summer looks similar to last year, I know the individual clubs are still working out details, but I expect that it will be another great season of sailing.

Rockland Yacht Club sponsors the Maine Rocks Race and is a member club of GMORA. The Downeast Challenge, a race RYC co-sposors, is a GMORA event ( which by the way also includes classes for short handed boats). The fact that the Maine Rocks Race isn't on the GMORA schedule is mainly due to the nature of the race. It's for single and double handers. If GMORA were to develope a double handed and or single handed prize then perhaps it would make sense to add the Maine Rocks Race to the sched. Sounds like a good idea to me. Lead Free - you are right, it's a great course.

Well, someone's gotta say it. Nice first post ... now fuck off newb!! :lol:

Now that that is out of the way, welcome to GOM Scuttlebutt. From solar:

The fact that the Maine Rocks Race isn't on the GMORA schedule is mainly due to the nature of the race. It's for single and double handers. If GMORA were to develope a double handed and or single handed prize then perhaps it would make sense to add the Maine Rocks Race to the sched. Sounds like a good idea to me. Lead Free - you are right, it's a great course.

Interesting idea, and worthy of consideration. Portland YC already offers a doublehanded division in the Monhegan for both spin and non-spin divisions. A single/short/double handed series might be cool.

The fact that the Maine Rocks Race isn't on the GMORA schedule is mainly due to the nature of the race. It's for single and double handers. If GMORA were to develope a double handed and or single handed prize then perhaps it would make sense to add the Maine Rocks Race to the sched. Sounds like a good idea to me. Lead Free - you are right, it's a great course.

Interesting idea, and worthy of consideration. Portland YC already offers a doublehanded division in the Monhegan for both spin and non-spin divisions. A single/short/double handed series might be cool.

Well, ok, thanks for the welcome.

But now I'm even more confused. If Rockland is a member of GMORA, and GMORA already scores a double handed race, why isn't the Maine Rocks Race scored?

I'll take a stab at this. Could be wrong but I have no doubt I will be corrected. PYC offers a double handed class but GMORA doesn't, at this point in time, offer a year end double handed prize and so this class isn't scored by GMORA. RYC runs several events that aren't sanctioned be GMORA. Just 'cause a sponsoring organization belongs to GMORA doesn't mean all their events/classes are scored be GMORA.

Well, ok, thanks for the welcome.

But now I'm even more confused. If Rockland is a member of GMORA, and GMORA already scores a double handed race, why isn't the Maine Rocks Race scored?

For the record, 'fuck off newb' is the traditional welcome here at SA. Hope you don't take it personally. :)

On the DH issue, good question, and my analysis might be out of date. There used to be a clause in the Scoring section that addressed this, but I don't see it there now so perhaps the rules have changed.

For a few years anyway, the DH Racing class in the Monhegan had been considered a separate division. The DH racing course is considerably shorter than the course for fully crewed race boats. If a boat that ususally raced fully crewed all season decided to race DH on the short course for the Monhegan, whatever points they earned for that regatta (which gave you two days' points due to its distance) would not be counted toward their regular season standings.

Essentially, those who competed in the DH Racing in Monhegan got the same treatment as a boat that jumped from Racing to Cruising class. But like I said earlier, I don't see that old clause in the Scoring section of the web site, so it may no longer apply.

I'm not sure how much of a logistical issue it would be to add a new DH or SH division for season scoring. You're adding more work for the scorers and additional costs for trophies and what not. But if it gets more boats on the line, might be worthwhile.

I think it comes down to whether there are enough boats for a class prize and whether there are enough shorthanded events, state wide. Bottom line here is that it's up to those that are interested in this sort of racing to push for class starts at their club level. There are all kinds of other questions to be answered too. What do we do with single handers? Is there enough critical mass to warrant a spinnaker and a non-spinnaker fleet?

I think it comes down to whether there are enough boats for a class prize and whether there are enough shorthanded events, state wide. Bottom line here is that it's up to those that are interested in this sort of racing to push for class starts at their club level. There are all kinds of other questions to be answered too. What do we do with single handers? Is there enough critical mass to warrant a spinnaker and a non-spinnaker fleet?

Therein lies the problem. Participation is low as it is, and chances are that creating more divisions/classes will just take away from existing divisions. BTW, we did have a singlehander in cruising class who did quite well -- second place for the season, IIRC.

There's a good chance that adding another division will just dilute the current participation further.

The other possibility is that given the current economic times, a single/doublehand division will bring in some boats who are now on the sidelines. The logistics and expenses of racing shorthanded are much smaller vs. fully crewed.

Therein lies the problem. Participation is low as it is, and chances are that creating more divisions/classes will just take away from existing divisions. BTW, we did have a singlehander in cruising class who did quite well -- second place for the season, IIRC.

We should try to foster a double handed/single handed class. Would probably have to race them in them in existing PHRF class divisions due to lack of 'numbers'...

On another note: Any thoughts to try to have more races on Saturday only to boost participation?

Stuck here in Southern NH, pretty much equidistant to LIS, Narragansett Bay and Portland. Spent decades on LIS and a year on NB so I'm thinking about giving Portland a go. Easiest sailing center to drive to from my location.

Unfamiliar with Portland area but have been following this thread. Primary interest is dh distance racing. Any thoughts on the best locale or yard to contact to discuss logistics/options/costs of keeping the boat up there for a season to try it out. Proximity to primary racing area is a factor.

Have kept boat in slip but would consider mooring if well protected and good launch service is provided.

Thanks

Stuck here in Southern NH, pretty much equidistant to LIS, Narragansett Bay and Portland. Spent decades on LIS and a year on NB so I'm thinking about giving Portland a go. Easiest sailing center to drive to from my location.

Unfamiliar with Portland area but have been following this thread. Primary interest is dh distance racing. Any thoughts on the best locale or yard to contact to discuss logistics/options/costs of keeping the boat up there for a season to try it out. Proximity to primary racing area is a factor.

Have kept boat in slip but would consider mooring if well protected and good launch service is provided.

Thanks

Brewers- South Freeport

Handy Boat in Falmouth

We don't have that much DH offshore racing here.

Racing on the greater Gulf of Maine that offers a DH class:

Maine Rocks Race starts and finishes in Rockland

Monhegan Race starts in Falmouth and finishes nearby off Portland

Downeast Challenge Race starts in Marblehead and finishes in Rockland

Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race starts in Marblehead and finishes in Halifax (odd years)

Another race that might be of interest: Falmouth to Northeast Harbor Race

There are a number of boats that sail single or double-handed in many of the other regattas even though there is no DH class. They are generally in the cruising canvas division (longer courses around buoys instead of W/L courses).

Let me know if you want a hand delivering the boat!

Redboat,

Go for it! The interest in DH seems to be growing here. PM me if you need anything.