Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zk.kz

Boatpixs, slime, they're at it again

Just got this e-mail from Boxpics.com trouble is they don't have any pictures.

Understand I got one of the more photographed boats in the area.

At Least half a dozen Yacht Clubs in Socal have a picture of my boat somewhere on their website.

I got a great one from John Wolf with my boat surrounded by dolphins. Hawk from Jaspics.com is part of my race program ( go to his site he has a lot of great pic's including my boat). Sean Downey has taken several.

So why would I keep a picture from Boatpixs unless it was at least as good as any of the ones from all of these other great photographers?

Boatpics SHOW ME THE PICs if you have any pics of my boat that you took before you sent me a FED X mailing lets see them.

POST THEM HERE I DARE YOU.

Because the only pics you have is of my boat motoring out to the start line with the main up. Why would I want those? Why would anyone want those? Why should I have to pay money to send that crap back?( I did send the pics back., I have the fedx recite, but they claim I kept one of the pics).

THESE GUYS ARE JUST PLAIN SLIME.

If you must deal with them, deal with great care!

December 30, 2005

Dear .....,

We currently show in our books, a balance due to BOATPIX.com in the amount of $385. If this bill is settled before January 1st, 2006 we will deduct an additional 15% off the amount due as of 12/29/05. If this bill is settled by January 10th, 2006 we will deduct an additional 10% off the amount due as of 12/29/05. I do need to hear from you by January 15th, as that day is the day we must send all open past due accounts to collections and or our lean attorneys. If you need to make arrangements to settle this debt please feel free to

contact me @ accounts@boatpix.com or (954) 840-3654

DO NOT send Credit Card information in any email.

If you send a check or credit card information via any carrier with tracking info or USPS postmarked, we will honor the above offer if you have it postmarked by the above dates, being January 1st or 10th. Sincerely,

Frank Woolsey

Accounts Manager

BOATPIX.com

95 Fiesta Way

Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301

Did you ask them to send you the pics in the first place?

That's the Question !!!!!

No one else to blame

If after reading past posts

You still have dealings with People who have been outed by SA Members As Un-Trustworthy

That means anyone not just Boatpix.

CREDIT is EVERYTHING

You can not risk your credit in the hands of those who LOVE to "F" it up ASAP

If you "Ask" to get involved with them

This forum can't save you

Perhapps letters of intent to "NOT" do Buisness with them are in order

Maybe A TOPIC started on SA where people who do not want to be involved with Boatpix

Can give writen notice would be Valid to protect from future charges

Without a writen Request by anyone who posted on that Topic

As a Sponsor they can't say they didn't recieve a copy

Just a Thought to Protect everyones Credit !!!???

Hmmmm, do I smell a class-action lawsuit? 33 % plus fees, baby. New attorneys, job market's pretty lean, here's your chance!

That's the Question !!!!!

No one else to blame

If after reading past posts

You still have dealings with People who have been outed by SA Members As Un-Trustworthy

That means anyone not just Boatpix.

CREDIT is EVERYTHING

You can not risk your credit in the hands of those who LOVE to "F" it up ASAP

If you "Ask" to get involved with them

This forum can't save you

Perhapps letters of intent to "NOT" do Buisness with them are in order

Maybe A TOPIC started on SA where people who do not want to be involved with Boatpix

Can give writen notice would be Valid to protect from future charges

Without a writen Request by anyone who posted on that Topic

As a Sponsor they can't say they didn't recieve a copy

Just a Thought to Protect everyones Credit !!!???

This was something that happened 4 years ago. They sent me to a credit agency once before, We got the credit agency to drop it now they are at it again.

here ya go:

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/complaintresources.htm

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.sta...Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

give yourself a hug. Shoot that monkey on your back. Have a better 2006:

fill out the complaint form above. Takes less than 2 minutes.

Yes. They sent me an e-mail "we have great pictures of your Boat no risk to if you don't like them just send them back.

Didn't like them( the pictures were shit) sent them back got billed anyway.

here ya go:

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/complaintresources.htm

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.sta...Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

give yourself a hug. Shoot that monkey on your back. Have a better 2006:

fill out the complaint form above. Takes less than 2 minutes.

Done, Thanks

Ed: Paying advertisers or not, these BOATPICS assholes are slime. What kind of a boat picture company needs an army of "lean attorneys" on retainer? I'm a big fan of SA and agree with you much of the time, but why would you accept their money to advertise on this site when it has been well documented that many of your readers here have been fucked over by these guys? Give BOATPIX back their cash, pull their ads, and show us what you are made of.

Hey Ed,

Now that you are back from a well needed break. Please kill Boatpix. They are slime!

jibeset

Okay here is the move, next time Boatpix flies over you at a regatta, simply pull out the 12 guage flare gun and shot right at their cockpit. If you are lucky (and we are lucky) there will be a flaming crash. We can then all take pictures and send it to this jerkoffs hospital room. For excessive amounts of money of course....

Okay here is the move, next time Boatpix flies over you at a regatta, simply pull out the 12 guage flare gun and shot right at their cockpit. If you are lucky (and we are lucky) there will be a flaming crash. We can then all take pictures and send it to this jerkoffs hospital room. For excessive amounts of money of course....

Great idea - just be sure there is a "problem" on board or the Coasties will assure you Boatpix invoices are well under what the Feds will charge. :angry:

Better to be stealthy - use a .225 to engine - claim it was a "Homeland Security" issue - other than a few on Political Anarchy - who would blame you? :rolleyes:

Ed,

This is clearly not just a bunch of guys who don't like another bunch of guys.

This practice of calling out collection agencies affects the credit ratings of these people - that's just not right.

Add to that the fact that Boatpix has posted openly in this forum yet does not directly address the issues raised by any of the forum's members, in order to try to clear up any "misunderstanding" that may have happened.

This just isn't right, Ed. Not that I want to see you lose money, but I'd prefer the site maintain its integrity and reputation of referring SAers to businesses that will work with them, not against them.

(my 0.02)

Again. fuck em. Let the ed take their money and just don't order from the dickheads. What is so wrong with that. Personally I love the idea of these fucks pumping money to the ed to let us keep slamming their unethical business practices.

Again. fuck em. Let the ed take their money and just don't order from the dickheads. What is so wrong with that. Personally I love the idea of these fucks pumping money to the ed to let us keep slamming their unethical business practices.

The problem with that is that SA will lose some of it's very hard earned credibility. I like and trust SA, the Ed, and the people that frequent this forum. Up until now I knew that if somebody advertised on SA they ran a stand up business worthy of my patronage. That is no longer the case, which is a shame.

If Scamperbutt was running the ads and we were slamming boatpix here, everyone would be saying that Anarchy and the Ed would never sink to that level.

There seems to be quite a few here you have been screwed by them. Listening to the gripes, I for one would not conduct business with them under the terms they now operate under. In their very limited defense we have heard from those who think nothing of scanning the photos and paying nothing but that doesn't give them a free hand to screw the rest of us.

Part of me feels that the Ed taking their money is fine. Just because they pay for an ad doesn't mean we have to buy from them. In a way it is poetic take the money while trashing them.

BUT, I agree with Yaz on the credibility. Running the boatpix ads is a slap to the face of those advertisers who are conducting business in an honorable way or at least without suing their customers. Also, by being on the site Boatpix becomes part of the community and reflects on it. Granted they are paying the freight but welcome Ed to the slippery slope.

The problem with that is that SA will lose some of it's very hard earned credibility. I like and trust SA, the Ed, and the people that frequent this forum. Up until now I knew that if somebody advertised on SA they ran a stand up business worthy of my patronage. That is no longer the case, which is a shame.

I hear what you are saying, but let's face it, kz is not the Lone Ranger on this deal. I had a similar bout with them something like ten years ago. kz is right on. I've dealt with John Wolf, Jerry Conser, Kelly O'Neill (hate to bring that one up again, it's getting close to two years now) and some others. None of them treat you like dirt like (ugh) BoatPix. I agree, the Ed should not have taken them on, and he ought to out them NOW.

Sorry for the rant.

First poster mentioned that was a awhile ago. They send you pics and asking you to send them back, that was an early on marketing program and basically was how they did business. They don't send pics to you anymore from what I've learned. They obvisouly just couldn't keep up with the organization of that and some folks got burned. I have a feeling they realized it and they changed the way they do things.

from their website.

If a helicopter took pictures of your boat that’s us!

Fill out the online form below and we will mail you photos as we’ve done since 1981. We will send you out 8”x10” and 16”x20” color photos in a tube for your review; simply buy those you wish to keep and return others by a traceable carrier within ten days. You only pay for the photos you keep. This is a very popular service and returning customers already know this works smoothly while new customers will have to trust that some have describe this service as “the best thing in boating!” We don't sell pictures online, we mail them out. Please fill out the form below.

If the Ed doesnt want to do anything, why not just keep posting so this topic stays current.. It will warn other members to stay away.

I talked to Tom from Boatpix, talked to a friend who knows him, looked at how long he has been in business, found nothing objectionable, and despite what a few of you have said here in the forum, went ahead with it.

Of course I appreciate the various opinions, and I don't think our cred gets hurt be having a boat photographer here that some of you don't like. Obviously some do like him or he wouldn't be in business. The marketplace will decide.

I talked to Tom from Boatpix, talked to a friend who knows him, looked at how long he has been in business, found nothing objectionable, and despite what a few of you have said here in the forum, went ahead with it.

Of course I appreciate the various opinions, and I don't think our cred gets hurt be having a boat photographer here that some of you don't like. Obviously some do like him or he wouldn't be in business. The marketplace will decide.

Yup. Sure sounds like his references on the forum check out. Who you gonna listen to Ed, Tom or the folks here who have been with you for the ride?

Blinded by the coin, Ed. Disappointing.

You know how much I respect the community here - the collective you are what make it happen. Without you, SA does not exist, and I believe I've done my best to be true to both you and the interests of SA. However, like I said, Tom passed the initial sniff test with me, and I went with my instincts, which have been pretty good so far.

Here's the beauty of this site - you get to voice your opinion about virtually anything, advertisers included, and the community pays attention. If the community agrees, then Boatpix won't get any business and they go away. SA still gets paid, and your opinion and input gets validated. Win, win.

Btw, you are not the first person I will have disappointed, and I'm fairly certain you won't be the last.

Peace Out.

Your sandbox, your rules.

But I urge you to read Yaz's point above. I (we) have given business to several of your advertisers because they are your advertisers. They have proven to be excellent, and in this relationship I benefit, you benefit and the advertiser benefits. We are all interdependent.

Up until now I have felt comfortable that I could pick up a phone to one of your advertisers and gotten what I pay for. Even the splice nut guy, who has some ..um.. unconventional marketing techniques has apparently been an upright merchant and citizen as indicated by the reports from those that have dealt with him. But now you have introduced some one whose references clearly don't check out, despite your instincts. That interdepency is compromised, and with it goes some of the trust. Which makes me less likely to pick up the phone to an advertiser, which makes advertisers less likely to advertise.

A continued relationship with Boat Pix is not a horrible thing, and it is only a small step. But a small step on a slippery slope.

This is how shady these guys are!!

Got email from them this morning.

Let me apologize in advance if you have already been contacted. I am doing a thorough investigation of your records with us. I will send you one more email when my investigation is complete. I assure you, if you don't Owe, I will get your account cleared in the next few days.

If you are found to be in debt, I will be glad to show all proof showing that debt. I will also be willing to work with you on getting it resolved.

May the New Year bring health and happiness to you and yours.

Sincerely

Frank Woolsey

Accounts Manager

BOATPIX.com

I too got this letter,

Let me apologize in advance if you have already been contacted. I am doing a

thorough investigation of your records with us. I will send you one more

email when my investigation is complete. I assure you, if you don't Owe, I

will get your account cleared in the next few days.

If you are found to be in debt, I will be glad to show all proof showing

that debt. I will also be willing to work with you on getting it resolved.

Sincerely

Frank Woolsey

Accounts Manager

BOATPIX.com

First time I heard from him in 3 years, other than showing him my middle finger when he flew over me and hovered in light air. Not to fond of his flying ability and less of his business plan.

What account cleared?

You'd think he would have taken the time to review his accounts and collections before he sent out a mass email like that. :huh:

Now he just looks like a completely unorganized, unprofessional business.

Do we give him points for at least trying? Nah - it's too sloppy.

Had a similar threat from Columbia House years ago when they sent me some CD's I never ordered. They "referred" me to a collection agency, who called and threatened to screw with my credit report. I told them to go pound sand - who is going to look at my credit report and say " Oh My! you did't pay $9.99 for that CD of Liberace's greatest hits. Sorry sir, you are too big of a credit risk for us to loan you any $$$"

The next month, I had no problems getting a mortgage approved. Tell them to FOAD!

Had a similar threat from Columbia House years ago when they sent me some CD's I never ordered. They "referred" me to a collection agency, who called and threatened to screw with my credit report. I told them to go pound sand - who is going to look at my credit report and say " Oh My! you did't pay $9.99 for that CD of Liberace's greatest hits. Sorry sir, you are too big of a credit risk for us to loan you any $$$"

The next month, I had no problems getting a mortgage approved. Tell them to FOAD!

Ahhh.. this was an easy one. I used a mailbox down the street from people that were only summer residents. Was easy to see when the delivery came because the mailbox door wouldnt shut all the way. I must have gotten like 500 cds + cassettes. Any name would do.. Foghorn Leghorn, Barnabus Collins, Hiawatha Francisco, John Rambo. Hey,..wait aminute! You got my Liberace CD!

And you ain't gettin' it back! Unless You want to trade it for a Richard Simmons Sweatin to the oldies?!?!?!?

"lean attorneys" ???

Does this mean the attorneys used are slim and trim?

If it's supposed to be "lien attorneys" then wtf do they have a lien on? Your boat? I don't think so. These guys are full of gas.

The problem with his company is it is true that he might have what is required to show that you the debt. He does not follow up with people until it is a year or more later when you can't get a reciept from UPS or Fedex if you did not keep the return reciept. I have been in collections with this ASS for 3 years. I talked to him and he is not what you think ED. His business is not upright! I agree with several other people that have stated that they have been able to trust every other advertiser until this point. This puts a crunch on all the other advertisers if we all start to have doubt. What other advertiser has recieved so much negativity?

This is how shady these guys are!!

Got email from them this morning.

Let me apologize in advance if you have already been contacted. I am doing a thorough investigation of your records with us. I will send you one more email when my investigation is complete. I assure you, if you don't Owe, I will get your account cleared in the next few days.

If you are found to be in debt, I will be glad to show all proof showing that debt. I will also be willing to work with you on getting it resolved.

Sincerely

Frank Woolsey

Accounts Manager

BOATPIX.com

Has anyone received any letters or simply e-mails? Is it simply a matter of cost that e-mail seems to be used or are they trying to avoid US Postal Service for a reason.

Just got this. Apparently I can still write a convincing FOAD letter. I still say they should go, awful experience.

To Whom It May Concern:

As promised, this letter is to confirm that you have no debt with BOATPIX.com as of 12/31/05. We have cleared all records of any debt with our company.

This will be the last contact initiated by us.

Wishing you the best for the New Year

Fxxxk Wxxxxxy

Accounts Manager

BOATPIX.com

Please accept my apologies for your inconvenience.

Please print for your records.

This seems to be a variation on the old scam where cheap pens etc. are sent to a business. An employee who doesn't know any better signs for the package, then an invoice for an inflated amount is sent to the company. Either the invoice slips through and just gets paid, or else when someone call and says, "we never ordered any pens and we're certainly not paying $500 for 50 bics!", well then guess what-"the delivery was signed for and it's going to collections if you don't pay up!".

Drysail,

care to share that FOAD letter with us? My guess is it is priceless..

Spyder, you read my mind!

Yes, DrySail, please ... pretty please .... or PM it if you're shy :rolleyes:

OK, Time to stop talking and start a dunning campaign against BP and Frank W. pm me for sample dunning letters...

I will begin dunning him for, say, $478.26.

I think that anybody that has been harassed by this Jackass should sue him to recoup time spent clearing up his mistakes resultling from his shoddy record keeping. Add in damages from impuning their reputation and "emotional distress."

I think that you could file in your local small claims court. He would have to defend them or be no show. At the very least you would probably get a judgment for time spent if he was a no show.

Then with the judgment in hand you could put a lien on his helicopter.

Probably a few legal holes in this, but if enough people tried it someone would get a sympathetic judge.

Wow. I have never seen anyone/anything so trashed so quickly by the SA crowd.

:o

Staying far away from this company.

Hoping I don't have an email coming. Moved to Maryland 3 years ago and after getting the boat here took a sail with the family out the Magothy. They flew over - close over to port - snapped photo and sent it to us via snailmail. I don't know how but assume they found us through CG documentation name and hailing port??? We sure did not contact them. Crap photo we threw away though it did convince us that leaving the boat sit for the last half of that summer and then doing the delivery outside sure makes for a dirty and shit looking boat. Welcome to the chesapeake mustache also. Brown bow. Ugh.

That was 3 years and 3 months ago. Hope they can't find me.

JOMBP

Not sure if it was this or the other thread, where somebody said this, but one little disputed charge is not the end of the world in an otherwise solid credit report, unless you have a history of not paying. Paid off enough houses, cars, boats over the years, that these twits likely can't hurt me (I hope). F em.

Last week I sent an e-mail to boatpix with a link to one of the SA threads where the complaints were piling up. Below is the response I received this morning. This response seems to be something dashed off from a laptop while sitting in front of the TV watching some bowl game rather than a piece of business correspondence responding to a less than satisfactory situation with customers and potential customers. Somehow, I got the feeling that they just don't care...

"I’ve found that when I respond to this type of thing that it creates more hype. If you have specific questions send them to me and I’ll answer them. Or you can call: 561-xxx-xxxx is my cell.

If you check out our website at www.boatpix.com/gallery you can order pictures with a credit card. If the pictures aren’t on the gallery then it directs you to a screen where we will send out pictures.

We have been in business 25 years and four months. Are you a previous customer?

I advertise on SA because we get a lot of business from that site; but it’s important to realize that with ten helicopters that we cover a lot of ground and advertising on that site probably won’t work for the average photographer. "

FUCK BOATPIX

Hey you pansy ass's how about you respond to the thread, You guys do read the the forums dont you? I mean your taking everyones money and then using that for advetrising so you can screw more people right?

I did check my credit report about a year ago and there was nothing on it but I just recieved the same email all you suckers did and now i am wondering again

Oh yeah by the way your were pretty friendly to talk to at KWRW 05, Id rather jerk off with sand paper than entertain myself in a conversation with you and your co horts

So have some balls and resond seems as if I am not the only one thats mad

Dick

Last week I sent an e-mail to boatpix with a link to one of the SA threads where the complaints were piling up. Below is the response I received this morning. This response seems to be something dashed off from a laptop while sitting in front of the TV watching some bowl game rather than a piece of business correspondence responding to a less than satisfactory situation with customers and potential customers. Somehow, I got the feeling that they just don't care...

"I've found that when I respond to this type of thing that it creates more hype. If you have specific questions send them to me and I'll answer them. Or you can call: 561-xxx-xxxx is my cell.

If you check out our website at www.boatpix.com/gallery you can order pictures with a credit card. If the pictures aren't on the gallery then it directs you to a screen where we will send out pictures.

We have been in business 25 years and four months. Are you a previous customer?

I advertise on SA because we get a lot of business from that site; but it's important to realize that with ten helicopters that we cover a lot of ground and advertising on that site probably won't work for the average photographer. "

Hmmm...they've been advertising for what, two weeks? Wow...phenomal ad response then for the Ed.

I got the same email from this dickhead Frank Woolsey. I told him to get his shit straight FIRST before wasting my time with heavy handed and totally inaccurate collection tactics since I never owed these fuckers a dime.

A few days later, I got the same "your account is cleared" email.

I don't know the owners of this company but I can tell you that there's no better way to TOTALLY PISS OFF YOUR POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS than to try to collect money that one doesn't owe. If this is part of their business model then they don't deserve a penny of our business.

SCREW BOATPIX....

or better yet, next time your boat is photographed order a set of proofs and take them to the color copier. Score yourself a couple of photos gratis and send them back (by a fully trackable means). Confirm that they receive them and save yourself a copy of the email/note so they can't come after you.

Not sure if it was this or the other thread, where somebody said this, but one little disputed charge is not the end of the world in an otherwise solid credit report, unless you have a history of not paying. Paid off enough houses, cars, boats over the years, that these twits likely can't hurt me (I hope). F em.

This is exactly what outfits that allegedly operate like this hope you think. The amounts are just small enough that people are too busy busting their ass at work to pay taxes, cover child care, buy $2 gallons of gas, co-pay their healthcare, cover the mortage, get bent over by their mechanic, etc., etc. to be able to take the time out of their day or off from work to put up a fight. Small claims is a great idea, but it still can take a full day of vacation or personal time...what is your time worth, they hope more than the amount that they are trying to F you for? These guys have never f-d me (I have never been a customer) except by hovering entirely too close on a light air downwind leg (collapsed chutes due to prop wash suck), but if what my fellow SA'ers say here is true, the attitude that they "likely can't hurt [you]" is exactly the wrong one to take.

Also got the Frank Woolsey "we're investigating your account, we'll let you know if you're clear" email.

I'll see what he comes back with. If he tries to collect, to the Florida Dept of Consumer Affairs I go.

Jeff.

Also got the Frank Woolsey "we're investigating your account, we'll let you know if you're clear" email.

I'll see what he comes back with. If he tries to collect, to the Florida Dept of Consumer Affairs I go.

Jeff.

Refernce site for those taking the next steps. Make a record of the actions taken by Boatpix.com and then take them to court for violation of Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/index.html

Guest anonoguest1
wtf did he send these notices out to his entire email database?

Seems like it.

If in fact they are 'trolling' for money and they sent these out in the hope that someone would just send a check to avoid the hassle they are pretty slimey. But more than that, if they accept money when money isn't owed, especially after solicting it, they have committed fraud.

Someone who lives in FL and has a few minutes to spare should really think about contacting the Attorney General for FL and asking them to investigate this firm. I would also suspect that doing business in the state of FL requires some kind of license? Getting in touch with whatever agency issues those would also be an interesting idea.

In case you need the company info, it is on their web site:

Boatpix Contact Page

Here are some thoughts.

For those who would like to pursue their rights formally:

The Florida Department of Consumer Affairs is a start. Also, someone should contact the Florida Attorney General's office. The state might even take up the charge and litigate the matter if necessary.

To get the best response the complaining persons should be both (1) a resident of Florida, and (2) an actual victim of the predatory practices of Boatpix. Unfortunately, unless you were actually harmed, most governmental bodies might not care too much about the alleged practices.

Be sure you have your documentation well thought out and available to forward to the authorities immediately. The best victims will have actual documents (receipts, letters, etc.) supporting their allegations and fact pattern. If you have an attorney friend, have them prepare an Affidavit for you to sign. Until someone actually steps up and takes action, we will never know if these allegations are unbiased.

For those who are interested in protecting themselves from future harm/conflict:

If you are returning unsolicited pics to Boatpix, be sure to send them certified mail return receipt requested. Does Boatpix send the pictures through FedEx/UPS, USPS Priority mail or through regular mail. Obviously, do not sign for anything unless you directly ordered the package. Make sure all those at your home or other mailing address know that as well. Try to make photocopies of the mailing envelopes or mail tracking receipts even if you are not going to accept the mailing.

If you have to return unsolicited pictures that have already been received, be sure you can track the shipment. Follow-up confirmation letters regarding the returns sent certified mail are always a good idea as well.

Remember, relying on "he said she said" rarely works too well and is often expensive to prove.

out.

Jeff.

Refernce site for those taking the next steps. Make a record of the actions taken by Boatpix.com and then take them to court for violation of Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/index.html

Damn, I'm too slow!

can't you just tell the postmaster it don't belong to ya and have them send it back collect?

forward mail, harrassment,

postmaster should be able to handle this somehow.

Guest anonoguest1
Here are some thoughts.

For those who would like to pursue their rights formally:

The Florida Department of Consumer Affairs is a start. Also, someone should contact the Florida Attorney General's office. The state might even take up the charge and litigate the matter if necessary.

To get the best response the complaining persons should be both (1) a resident of Florida, and (2) an actual victim of the predatory practices of Boatpix. Unfortunately, unless you were actually harmed, most governmental bodies might not care too much about the alleged practices.

Be sure you have your documentation well thought out and available to forward to the authorities immediately. The best victims will have actual documents (receipts, letters, etc.) supporting their allegations and fact pattern. If you have an attorney friend, have them prepare an Affidavit for you to sign. Until someone actually steps up and takes action, we will never know if these allegations are unbiased.

For those who are interested in protecting themselves from future harm/conflict:

If you are returning unsolicited pics to Boatpix, be sure to send them certified mail return receipt requested. Does Boatpix send the pictures through FedEx/UPS, USPS Priority mail or through regular mail. Obviously, do not sign for anything unless you directly ordered the package. Make sure all those at your home or other mailing address know that as well. Try to make photocopies of the mailing envelopes or mail tracking receipts even if you are not going to accept the mailing.

If you have to return unsolicited pictures that have already been received, be sure you can track the shipment. Follow-up confirmation letters regarding the returns sent certified mail are always a good idea as well.

Remember, relying on "he said she said" rarely works too well and is often expensive to prove.

out.

I think that if this was an isolated case, the AG might not be too excited unless the $$$ was high but, this is a case where a FL based company is, at best, exhbiting extremely bad business record keeping. I think once it is pointed out that dozens, perhaps hundreds, or people recieved this collection letter, the AG will become more interested.

If needed, all of us who got the threatenting letter could provide a copy to someone from SA who lives in FL and is willing to pursue this.

With the florida winter circuit about to get going, what we need here is JeffB to gas up the F15 and show these damn boatpix helicopters what it means to piss off the SA crowd.

Guest lethal weapon

So You and Your key west crew head down south to escape the winter gloom and race your boat in sunny skies and warm weather in jan. Maybe You do well and maybe not. Either way a great time is had by all. Including waving at the 'copter that flew by as you were making your way downwind in a favoring shift.

Stoping by the tent for some free rum later that evening you stop to check out the pic's. Hey Guys check it out... Timmy teasing Jan,who flying the chute looks up in glee. Joey trimming the guy has a puzzled look of a smile brought on by being not quite over last nights excursion to dewval st. Mikey,the fordeck wiz is nodding off in the back of the bus. Skipperette,as the norm,gives a bright clean smile and a queens wave,after spending the pampered evening drinking wine and eating fresh fruit in the hot tub. And you,king of the thirty some feet of plastic fantisic,show a broad grin with a glimmer in your eye. Kewl stuff indeed. After arriving home and finding your way back into the dailey grind,you think what the heck that was a great time and the boat must of looked great. So you fill out the forms and send them off. After all if they suck I'll send 'em back. A month futher removed from the event and taking the kids skiiing and trying to keep up with the work grind has taken over. Low and behold a package arrives in the mail. Boat pics...great. opening up the package you find the crews skin a little to white from the greatlakes winter. The holidays feast having taken it's toll on your mid-section and Skipperette not at all happy with her pose. Futher inspection shows the last place boat in the fleet about to steal your breeze as you smile for the 'copter. And Jen is flying the kite why to tight. Joey seemingly forgot what sqaure to wind means and is that drool coming from the side of Mikey's mouth? And the boat is what...out of focus?

I'm sending these back. But at the crew party in a drunken haze you give Timmy ( a guest from another boat)one of the pic's. This of course is long forgotten by the next morning as in a hangover you prepare the kids for a weekend of skiiing. Another month goes by,spring is almost here,and Skipperette(the responable better half)gathers up the pic's that have been taking up space in the family room and sends them back to boatpix. boatpix,upon receiving the package realize it is missing a pic (like the other forty packages sent back from kwrw). They attempt to contact you,you receive their correspondce and ask Skipperette "babe did you send back all the pic's?" "yes dear" Boatpix faced with the bill's of another losing cause decided to press futher for the funds from a picture now stashed away in Timmy's attic.

Moral of the story is perhaps boatpix should either find another way of doing biz or should chalk up lost pic's as a biz expense and be greatful for the money from those who indeed bought pic's. Check sobstad out for what happens when you get caught up in chasing the past. Never aleinate yourself from your customer base by excusing them or others of doing you wrong. Move on. Oh and have fun down in the key's!!!! Staying on side of positive biz practices has it's own rewards. Maybe Tim sails on another boat at kwrw and passing by your booth exclaims Boatpix great guys and the gather swarm spends money with you?

A 12 year-old high on crystal meth can figure out how to set up an e-commerce site that would show pics (with ugly watermarks) and let you order on-line. And if that is too challenging for the mouth breathers, any idiot could post the pics (again with water marks) and allow for phoned in orders.

The fact that Boat Pix clings to an obviously broken distribution model can mean only one of two possible things. 1) They are idiots or 2) They are purposefully trying to rip people off.

I actually just took a pic of their helicopter sitting at the airfield

I am going to now send it to them and if I dont return it, hello "Collection Agency"

sweet

A 12 year-old high on crystal meth can figure out how to set up an e-commerce site that would show pics (with ugly watermarks) and let you order on-line. And if that is too challenging for the mouth breathers, any idiot could post the pics (again with water marks) and allow for phoned in orders.

The fact that Boat Pix clings to an obviously broken distribution model can mean only one of two possible things. 1) They are idiots or 2) They are purposefully trying to rip people off.

My guess is that, like our favorite Nigerians, if you get 1% of your distribution list to pay the price of the full set, it pays. Or if you have a favorable affiliation with a collection agency. I'd bet boat-trix has both.

Based on these threads, they are an embarassment and a predator. I'd take 'em to small claims every time. But then, I haven't had any problems with them personally, except for how annoying they are out during a race.

Guest Fly on the Wall

out.

If I ever have to fork over my own hard cash to send back unosolicited pix to these bozos I am going to send them an invoice for shipping and handling, then send my own collection agency after THEM if they don't pay.

Keep in mind, there are other photographers who go in 'copters, now, and get good shots from the right places. The helo you flick off may acually be doing something you want.

I actually just took a pic of their helicopter sitting at the airfield

I am going to now send it to them and if I dont return it, hello "Collection Agency"

sweet

everybody should start doing this..... everytime they fly over, grab the disposable or your camera phone, send 'em the picture and then collect. Fuck yeah beat 'em at their own game!

Captzulu, thats why you only flip off the blue helo with "BOATPIX.COM" in big letters down the side.

I think one of the most simplistic of solutions exists and yet none of us have acted yet. At every regatta you attend that features the two winners for "asshat of the year" do your part and help bring them together. Sign the POD up for pictures from Boatpix! Let him focus his litigating, useless waste of life on a good cause. SAers, do your part, act now.

out.

If I ever have to fork over my own hard cash to send back unosolicited pix to these bozos I am going to send them an invoice for shipping and handling, then send my own collection agency after THEM if they don't pay.

Boatpix has never sent anything out unsolicited. If it comes over the internet it's time and date stamped with the IP address. If it comes by mail or fax it's signed by the person requesting the pictures. Now, everyone has to include a credit card which further identifies that person requesting pictures. Boatpix has tens of thousands of happy customers over 25 years. Perhaps not too many of them read SA and neither do I read it regularly. There is no winning in trying to reply to SA allegations, I just sometimes log on to set the record straight. If there is an accounting problem of some sort a quick phone call to 1-800-BOATPIX will usually solve it. The comments section of the website comes straight to me. If you click around the website you'll find third party acknowledgement of our crediblity. As to accounting problems, how often when you bounce a check is the bank actually wrong?

Boatpix has never sent anything out unsolicited.

I say BULLSHIT. You may not now, but you used to send pix unsolicited-- in fact you've sent them to me in the past. Just setting the record straight.

out.

Boatpix has never sent anything out unsolicited. If it comes over the internet it's time and date stamped with the IP address. If it comes by mail or fax it's signed by the person requesting the pictures. Now, everyone has to include a credit card which further identifies that person requesting pictures. Boatpix has tens of thousands of happy customers over 25 years. Perhaps not too many of them read SA and neither do I read it regularly. There is no winning in trying to reply to SA allegations, I just sometimes log on to set the record straight. If there is an accounting problem of some sort a quick phone call to 1-800-BOATPIX will usually solve it. The comments section of the website comes straight to me. If you click around the website you'll find third party acknowledgement of our crediblity. As to accounting problems, how often when you bounce a check is the bank actually wrong?

Sorry BPix, but you have screwed me also. Going to your site and asking if you were at an event does not mean I want you to send me $1800 worth of pics, including the 11x17s and stacks of 8x10s, with a nasty gram included saying I have until x date to pay or return the fuzzy, poorly cropped pics. Tim Wilkes and Sharon Green blow you away. Service and great photos, what a business plan.

[ As to accounting problems, how often when you bounce a check is the bank actually wrong?

Actually depending on the bank it can be often. Used to love reconciling accounts to find which of the 5,000 - 8,000 checks the bank had cashed for the wrong amount. In order to insure this accuracy, you do of course use professionally certified accountants and auditors, right? Granted this is a tough crowd and it is understandable to be a bit defensive, but throwing out statements like that is just setting yourself up for grief. You can either contact the people here that arent very happy with you and try to make amends, or you can cop an attitude. No one ever said customer service was easy.

Boatpix has tens of thousands of happy customers over 25 years. Perhaps not too many of them read SA and neither do I read it regularly.

Somehow this sounds more like it should be followed by "at least I hope not"?!

Well, ½ point for coming into the thread; -10 points for not responding directly to the allegations. It really could be so simple.

My idea of the minimum Customer Service he could have done is a PM to those citing issues saying "I read your post in the thread, and would like the chance to discuss the issue with you on the phone. Please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX between HH and HH or leave a message with your # and a convenient time to return your call. I'd really like to see you as a satisfied customer, or at the very least, a not-so-upset, not-badmouthing-boatpix non-customer"

Oh well .....

Hey, Splicingnutz! You wanna teach the whirlybird man something?

hhh.. this was an easy one. I used a mailbox down the street from people that were only summer residents. Was easy to see when the delivery came because the mailbox door wouldnt shut all the way. I must have gotten like 500 cds + cassettes. Any name would do.. Foghorn Leghorn, Barnabus Collins, Hiawatha Francisco, John Rambo. Hey,..wait aminute! You got my Liberace CD!
Not so smart to admit to mail fraud and tampering with a mail box (another federal offense) on a public site.... and that you are cheap and steal from companies.

You know how much I respect the community here - the collective you are what make it happen. Without you, SA does not exist, and I believe I've done my best to be true to both you and the interests of SA. However, like I said, Tom passed the initial sniff test with me, and I went with my instincts, which have been pretty good so far.

Here's the beauty of this site - you get to voice your opinion about virtually anything, advertisers included, and the community pays attention. If the community agrees, then Boatpix won't get any business and they go away. SA still gets paid, and your opinion and input gets validated. Win, win.

Btw, you are not the first person I will have disappointed, and I'm fairly certain you won't be the last.

Peace Out.

alan greenspan could not have said it better. the free market rules. this is anarchy, the ultimate free market :rolleyes:

So what do they do with all the sent back pics? do they file them? Do they throw them out? (wastage issue) what about all the wasted ink? Surely there is a cheaper and easier way for them to do business.

Oh well, what do i care...i'm n the other side of the world. But I would definately be cautious if i was in the US now - thanks SAers! Keeping the bastards honest!

Boatpix,

You have got to be kidding me.... You are the biggest joke going. How do you respond to putting people in collections over a year after the fact? I hope that you are at a booth soon that I can stand if front of with a sign that says "Bad Business! Do not Trust!" I am also sure that you most likely have more people in collections than have gracefully accepted the photo's to purchase. How much did you pay your third party for the positive remarks? I am sure it was a bundle. IF you have had tens of thousands of happy people there would not be so many people pissed off because you would have failed already. Or maybe it is your attorney's that are paying your house payment. I think that scum would hang with scum.

Jibeset

Once again ED please refund this jerks money!

out.

Bowgirl's got it right- it does not take that much time and effort in the scale of the dollar amounts being discussed to have better/ more personal customer service. Hell Boatpix, you could hire somebody for minimum wage to monitor the sites- or maybe you could get me to do it for a case/month. Then, you respond personally? Seems like a good idea to me- much more difficult to be wrong (either side) in person. Also sounds like a lot of old crap- man, the skeletons must be killing you. Building trust is a lot harder than losing it, which makes the current business model a potential problem. Hey- but not my company, and I have never ordered from them or had problems.

Boatpix has tens of thousands of happy customers over 25 years. Perhaps not too many of them read SA and neither do I read it regularly.

Somehow this sounds more like it should be followed by "at least I hope not"?!

Well, ½ point for coming into the thread; -10 points for not responding directly to the allegations. It really could be so simple.

My idea of the minimum Customer Service he could have done is a PM to those citing issues saying "I read your post in the thread, and would like the chance to discuss the issue with you on the phone. Please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX between HH and HH or leave a message with your # and a convenient time to return your call. I'd really like to see you as a satisfied customer, or at the very least, a not-so-upset, not-badmouthing-boatpix non-customer"

Oh well .....

Anyone can call the office anytime at 1-800-BOATPIX or me on my cell at 561-346-2816.

Been there done that. YOU said that because after a year of not saving my reciept for returning the pictures I still owe you the money.... .FUCK YOU!

Anyone can call the office anytime at 1-800-BOATPIX or me on my cell at 561-346-2816.

So what do they do with all the sent back pics? do they file them? Do they throw them out? (wastage issue) what about all the wasted ink? Surely there is a cheaper and easier way for them to do business.

Oh well, what do i care...i'm n the other side of the world. But I would definately be cautious if i was in the US now - thanks SAers! Keeping the bastards honest!

Most pictures are not returned. We sell a lot of pictures. A lot of pictures. It's mostly to owners of boats. Owners of boats, crew or anyone is encouraged to check out www.BOATPIX.com/gallery.

Peace Out.

Makes sense to me. True to the sense of the group.

Cheers,

MikeR

[ As to accounting problems, how often when you bounce a check is the bank actually wrong?

Actually depending on the bank it can be often. Used to love reconciling accounts to find which of the 5,000 - 8,000 checks the bank had cashed for the wrong amount. In order to insure this accuracy, you do of course use professionally certified accountants and auditors, right? Granted this is a tough crowd and it is understandable to be a bit defensive, but throwing out statements like that is just setting yourself up for grief. You can either contact the people here that arent very happy with you and try to make amends, or you can cop an attitude. No one ever said customer service was easy.

But, I always log on with my name or company name. Most log on under an alias. If they sought a resolution to whatever there problem was they wouldn't be on this site, now would they?

How can you justify going after people years after the fact? If someone owes you money, why not go after them right away, when they still have the evidence to clear themselves (the return receipt). When you wait 1, 2, even 3 years, do you really expect someone to have that evidence still? You expect someone to pay you or return the photos within a week or two, how about a week or two after that, you start sending collection letters, not 3 1/2 years.

out.

Sorry BPix, but you have screwed me also. Going to your site and asking if you were at an event does not mean I want you to send me $1800 worth of pics, including the 11x17s and stacks of 8x10s, with a nasty gram included saying I have until x date to pay or return the fuzzy, poorly cropped pics. Tim Wilkes and Sharon Green blow you away. Service and great photos, what a business plan.

In 25 years we've never sold an 11x17.

Ouch!

Boatpix is/are getting anally raped.

BOATPIX.com is fine and will be fine.

Boatpix, here's a dumb idea for you. Why would you not just say, "I'm sorry, we've had some accounting problems in the past and are doing everything possible to resolve them." If you then dropped the collection nonsense for the 5-15 or so people on this site, we might even believe you. How can it possibly be good for business to advertise on a site where everyone is turning against you. Would it really hurt your business to drop the collections for the people on here? It sounds as if they have absolutely no intention of paying you anyway. If instead you apologized, dropped the collections, and then said, "I value the business of Sailing Anarchy, and would like to know what you guys think I could do to improve my business," there might even be a happy ending for everyone. Hell, you might even see a return on your ad here.

How can you justify going after people years after the fact? If someone owes you money, why not go after them right away, when they still have the evidence to clear themselves (the return receipt). When you wait 1, 2, even 3 years, do you really expect someone to have that evidence still? You expect someone to pay you or return the photos within a week or two, how about a week or two after that, you start sending collection letters, not 3 1/2 years.

Most people pay within 10 days which has always been the agreement. Now, we require a credit card. I encourage anyone with a dispute to contact us for a resolution. My cell remains 561-346-2816. The website lists several ways to contact us. We attend as many sailing events as we can that don't require us to pay sponsorship money which drives up picture prices.