Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solo

J92 speeds

what will j92 do on broad/beam reach and flattish water in 10 to 15 knots?

s.

With that huge asm set? Heavy boat so I don't think it would be planing but will definitely be exceeding hull speed. Should be a sweet spot for that boat.

The boat is definatly a keel boat, but it does surf very well

Max

J-92 'Puka Wai'

An owner on a J-92 I used to sail on (likely the same boat as sail junkie) insisted that the boat had gotten up to 18.5 once, but that it was before they could get the spinnaker down when a squall hit and it was gusting to 35-40. They're not particularly quick boats, though they'll beat their rating in less than 7 kts of breeze. I suspect that in a real blow a J-80 is faster downwind -- even with a smaller rig and less waterline, it'll plane sooner and easier than a J-92, which weighs almost 5000 pounds.

Solo -- are you going sailing on one soon? There are only 2-3 I can think of in the NYC area.

An owner on a J-92 I used to sail on (likely the same boat as sail junkie) insisted that the boat had gotten up to 18.5 once, soon? There are only 2-3 I can think of in the NYC area.

true- blew 2 kites on the same leg... vrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooom

Here are the specs of the J90.

http://www.marsmetal.com/html/volume5.htm

J92 Specs (only link I could find):

http://sailingsource.com/discus/messages/2....html?948856140

J90 is the same length as J92 but 2,200lbs lighter and 1.5ft narrower.

J90 has about 6 more inches of draft, and has a longer waterline. I can't find the numbers, but the J90 has a bit more downwind sail area.

how does the 92 compare to the newer j90. What is the real difference between the two both in performance and in use etc.?

The difference in PHRF is about 60 seconds a mile. Same size boat, J-90 weighs 2,000 pounds less (partially carbon hull, carbon rig, etc.), has a masthead chute, sparse interior, etc. Not even close performance wise, but you'd never cruise a J-90, whereas you could cruise a J-92 a bit if you wanted. Neither class ever took off -- J-92s are generally scattered around, never had much one-design action, though the boat has now become popular in Europe and has a French builder I believe. J-90 never took off either, came at a time when the sportboat market was saturated and it was a bit pricey due to the construction. Both are solid, fun boats though.

Like the J125, weren't there just 5 or 6 J90s made?

J90 Ragtime - We hit 15.6 knots today with a reefed main and 100% jib heading towards GG Bridge off of Mile Rock. Sustaining 12+ all the way in. We passed a J120 like it was standing still. Wild and wet!!

J90 versus J92 is not comparable. J92 is like a smaller J105. J90 is great shorthander with it's narrow beam and deep draft bulb keel.

Like the J125, weren't there just 5 or 6 J90s made?

Yes, 5 J/90s to be exact (a 6th hull is rumored to be waiting around somewhere in RI). They rarely come up for sale. More J/125s were made. Something like 11-12. Both boats were designed and built without compromise, ultra light, turbo rig, forget the interior, and relatively expensive. That was when J Boats was still run as a bunch of performance sailing purists. Cost is all relative when you can't wipe that stupid grin off your face.

Ragbag,

That was when J Boats was still run as a bunch of performance sailing purists.

?????????? :blink:

Jboats has always been about marketing. They made the sprit boat market big, but their boats are not Melges 24s, or Thompsons.

Will Museler

Couldn't afford one when they were in production but thought the 90 was the sweetest boat to emerge from the J barn in years. 95 too heavy as is the J100 which appears to be burdened even further by not having adequate horsepower.

How are the 90's holding up?

Hey Ragtime, assume you blew by J120 offwind. How is the 90 upwind? Reef early and often? Have fun with the boat. Sounds like a keeper.

Jboats has always been about marketing. They made the sprit boat market big, but their boats are not Melges 24s, or Thompsons.

Will Museler

Agree that J Boats have been highly successful marketers especially with the 24, 80, 105, 120 etc. But they used to have a purist streak best exhibited by the 90 and 125 that were unlikely to be volume production boats in any scenario based on the cost of materials and construction. They just did it because they thought it was a cool idea, no expense was spared and hoped for the best in the market place. You don't find that anymore in the 109 and 133, these are boats that converge J Boats to the mean. It's not criticism, just an observation. I am a fan both of the people (Johnstone's) and their boats.

Ragbag,

That's what I meant about marketing. If either the J90 or 125 took off they would have produced more of those type of concepts. I believe that they have a time target for their production and if it isn't met they cut it loose and move on. Just look at the history of their product line. And I have to disagree about your characterization of the 109 & 133. These are Alan Johnstone designs and definate improvements on the J110 and J130 designs of his father.

Regards,

Will Museler

How are the 90's holding up?

Hey Ragtime, assume you blew by J120 offwind. How is the 90 upwind? Reef early and often? Have fun with the boat. Sounds like a keeper.

The J/90s as carbon boats are exceedingly strong and stiff. Rod has said that in hindsight they are over-built: could have taken another 300 lbs. or so out. He actually took 270 lbs out of my keel bulb which - in SF Bay - I sometimes wish to have back, and I may still do that. The boat is wicked fast on all points of sail, most amazing to people is upwind speed. J/90 gives the 40s and often the 50s a run for their money boat-for-boat. We short hand the boat a lot for which it is great, because it is long, narrow and has a lot of deep ballast. It feels like a big boat in a sea way. Boat continues to amaze, now if I can just learn to sail it like Trevor, we're all set ;-).