• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Slowboat

Swede 55

Slowboat....

Whauu... what a boat, this is the true essence of a real boat - the plastic we sail are quite beautifull but nothing to compare with this....

Though, when the owner of this beauty are still standing on the hard, sanding and lacking - you can be on the water... .so dont kick too hard.;-))

Klok

Slowboat....

Whauu... what a boat, this is the true essence of a real boat - the plastic we sail are quite beautifull but nothing to compare with this....

Though, when the owner of this beauty are still standing on the hard, sanding and lacking - you can be on the water... .so dont kick too hard.;-))

Klok

Slow,

where was that, looks a bit like Newport, Museum of Yachting. And more about the 30sqm please ...

Zebra

Good Eyes Zebra - that's exactly where those pictures were taken, and the Museum of Yachting owned her as well as Oriole, US 4 which is the boat under the green tarp. Oriole was Herreshoff's second thirty square-metre design

The boat in the pictures is US #38 now named Cythera and was originally launched as Roulette II. She was designed by Knud Reimers and built by Kungsors Batvarv in 1937. Length over all was 42'2", LWL was 27'8", Beam 7'1" and a draft of 5'.

You can learn more about the US Square Meter Yachts at: http://www.squareskerryyachts.net/

So back to IRC rating and Spinnaker Size. Do you folks have either? I would love to know Spin pole length and the original spinnaker dimensions.

Thanks,

Slow.

A bit over a year ago there was a 30 sq meter boat for sale on ebay. It was on a lake in Tennesee of all places and appeared to be a heck of a boat. Anyone else see that? Where did she end up?

Also, I had an I 14 sailing friend in Annapolis named Matt Blake who moved to CA and got a Swede55. Anyone know Matt?

Good Eyes Zebra - that's exactly where those pictures were taken, and the Museum of Yachting owned her as well as Oriole, US 4 which is the boat under the green tarp. Oriole was Herreshoff's second thirty square-metre design

The boat in the pictures is US #38 now named Cythera and was originally launched as Roulette II. She was designed by Knud Reimers and built by Kungsors Batvarv in 1937. Length over all was 42'2", LWL was 27'8", Beam 7'1" and a draft of 5'.

You can learn more about the US Square Meter Yachts at: http://www.squareskerryyachts.net/

So back to IRC rating and Spinnaker Size. Do you folks have either? I would love to know Spin pole length and the original spinnaker dimensions.

Thanks,

Slow.

Matt Blake was the previous owner of my Swede 55. He was also crew on the 1983 Pac Cup overall winning Swede.

The 30sq on Ebay was Pilgrim. From a note on the site I mentioned in my last post:

US 39 Pilgrim (below), has a new sponsor. After discussing syndication of her restoration, and in exchange for a ownership interest, a viewer of this site stepped up, stating with their checkbook they were willing to involve themselves in preserving a great thirty square-meter. Final arrangements are pending. Pilgrim is owned by this site for the express purpose of her restoration and "sail" to a fussy owner. We need a few more sponsors. Pilgrim was built for an American syndicate in 1938 to defend against a Swedish invasion sailed at Marion, Massachusetts. For more information concerning Pilgrim, click at left on "Boat Profiles," and then " US 39." If you are interested in helping to preserve Pilgrim, contact this site at <info@squareskerryyachts.net>. Update, January 13, 2008: Investor Number 2 has surfaced. It's time for everyone to pile on. The syndicate will be called something like the "Skerry Cruiser Restoration Project," be organized as a non-profit corporation with Pilgrim being its first asset and project.

Interesting

post-24585-1201249231_thumb.jpg

post-24585-1201249256_thumb.jpg

Yes, some of us are forming a syndicate under George Fisher's direction to restore and race 'Pilgrim', US39. She is presently at Legendary Yachts in Portland awaiting her turn in the shop behind George's other boat, 'Hansina'. So far we've got three members but are looking for more.

If you are interested in preserving or sailing classic yachts let me know. There is at least one other 30 square that we need to acquire and get moving on, and I can find Dragons for those who are not as ambitious. Beautiful lines and long overhangs never go out of style, as witnessed by the International Rule Centennial last summer, and this summer's long list of celebrations in consideration of the Square Metre Rule's 100th anniversary. This is going to be a big year for the people who sail square metre class boats, and I can't think of a better way to celebrate it than by seeing the re-launch of one class stalwart (Hansina) and the beginning of restoration work on another here in North America.

RD

Thanks,

Slow

About spinnaker – mine is not original, due to many changes during french ownership and now danish – the original is long gone – But the spinnaker i use now is new and made excatly for the boat after many discussions with saildesigners and sailmakers, and it´s proven to be fast – really fast.

The messurements are:

Spinnakker pole:

SPL: 4,96 m ( J messures is only 4,60 and normally J is the same as SPL but not in this case)

Spinnaker:

SL = 14,22 m

SMW: = 9,93 m

SF: = 8,22 m

(ISP = 14,25 m)

We don’t use your IRC….. but a Danish standard called Danish Handicap DH, which is very close to IMS and my messure is TA. 546,7 ( this is the seconds pr.sm)

Hope you can use this for something..

Klok

Thanks to Slowboat, Klok, Zebra and others for making this thread such a treat! Swede 55 has been on my most-desired-boat list for quite some time (although without sufficient funds or wife acceptance to move from being on my list to being anchored in my harbor).

post-22099-1201480824_thumb.jpgpost-22099-1201480846_thumb.jpg

post-22099-1201480875_thumb.jpgpost-22099-1201480895_thumb.jpg

I was really tempted when a Swede 55 - Axe - came up for sale here in Norway a couple of years ago. Does anyone know its whereabouts?

I ended up purchasing another Swedish built classic - IW 31 - Sparkman & Stephens design no. 1899

post-22099-1201480995_thumb.jpg

It's a sweet boat, but eventually I'd like to go faster than 8 knots downwind....

Fair winds

Speaking about kites - just fell over theese nice pics , must be Teddy Kuttel in Spielhaus.

Klok

Klok,

really nice this Treadmaster deck with alloy footrail :huh:

Cheers,

Zebra

Haha....thx and thx for bringing up AXE..;-)

It´s really funny , but during a wonderfull summer in Sweden in my former Lotus 40 - we had lunch in Kyrkesund - and that day changed my life.. because AXE came sailing by. We just had a discussion with some friends about boats and i told my friend that i would never change my Lotus cause i could not find anything more interesting....and then she came ..AXE...... i couldnt sleep for days - searching the net for information (wich there was 0 of), - but after a while i found AS for sale in France - rest of the history you know..;-))

I dont know where AXE is now...but she really got me.... (pics are from the day in Kyrkesund..;-)

Btw...your IW 31 is quite beautifull - also a true "Fiber-classic"...

Best regards

Klok

post-22703-1202063418_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1202063466_thumb.jpg

Zebra...

To be honest - when I see Gamle Swede and the picture of Teddy´s Swede..i must admit , that if it´s well kept (like yours) it still looks fabolous.. really.

Klok

Klok,

really nice this Treadmaster deck with alloy footrail :huh:

Cheers,

Zebra

Zebra...

To be honest - when I see Gamle Swede and the picture of Teddy´s Swede..i must admit , that if it´s well kept (like yours) it still looks fabolous.. really.

Klok

thanks Klok, unfortunately I see the time coming to replace the Treadmaster. There is a colour avaiable being called raindeer or so ... Not brown or grey.

If will be a labourous job. For the time being, I will stick to the ten metre rule: everything looking fine from that distance will stay and we won't look closer.

I would be interested to get an idea how the new Swedes made by Classic Swedish Yachts look down below, what kind of wood and varnish is used for the glossy decked Swede 41.

Curios sailors greetings

Zebra

post-24585-1202070051_thumb.jpg

CSY-3.jpg

I went to a meeting with Olof Hildebrand (one of the drivers behind Swede 55) where Classic Swedish Yachts were seeking investors to produce Swede 41 and Swede 66.

The 66 was clearly aimed at sailors "who didn't care about price" and Spirit Yachts was named at the primary competitor.

Sweet boats... but aiming for the "rich and famous" is another ball game than selling Swede 55 to enthusiasts.

Pics and more info in swedish.

I would be interested to get an idea how the new Swedes made by Classic Swedish Yachts look down below, what kind of wood and varnish is used for the glossy decked Swede 41.

batman3-hk.jpg

The only interior photo I've seen on the 41. My guess is that they'll stick with a classic old style Scandinavian interior with lots of mahogany.

Deck is said to be mahogany, oregon-pine and teak and some special "poly...." coating that will last for 10+ years.

CSY-3.jpg

I went to a meeting with Olof Hildebrand (one of the drivers behind Swede 55) where Classic Swedish Yachts were seeking investors to produce Swede 41 and Swede 66.

The 66 was clearly aimed at sailors "who didn't care about price" and Spirit Yachts was named at the primary competitor.

Sweet boats... but aiming for the "rich and famous" is another ball game than selling Swede 55 to enthusiasts.

Pics and more info in swedish.

Interesting. I wonder what a Swede 66 could be. Any drawings = teasers around speeding me up to - hm - finally make the first million?

batman3-hk.jpg

The only interior photo I've seen on the 41. My guess is that they'll stick with a classic old style Scandinavian interior with lots of mahogany.

Deck is said to be mahogany, oregon-pine and teak and some special "poly...." coating that will last for 10+ years.

Hey, this is a clever design. Whith the boat heeld 17,5 degrees, you comfortly go to bed - as we all do ...

Interesting. I wonder what a Swede 66 could be. Any drawings = teasers around speeding me up to - hm - finally make the first million?

Just had the drawings up on the wall. A Håkan Södergren design but true to the lines of the older boats.

From the figures in the prospect, I would say that the 66 would be more of a $3M boat :-)

Just had the drawings up on the wall. A Håkan Södergren design but true to the lines of the older boats.

From the figures in the prospect, I would say that the 66 would be more of a $3M boat :-)

Hey Blur,

the drawing at your wall plus a 3 million (Dollar or Eurodollar) estimate won't help me to get an impression of the boat.

Want to see pixels - preferrably here :rolleyes:

Cheers, Zebra

Hello all,

Slowboat directed me to this thread yesterday and it is great to see all the posts about the great Swede 55!

My Parter Shawn and myself sailed the Pacific Cup in 2006 on The Contessa and are preparing for the July start this year.

I have sailed this boat since 1991 and can attest, probably one of the most fun boats I ever sailed. I also sailed on the Swede 55 Temptress back in the 1980's, and that got me hooked.

Is the sail area too small?

Not in 30 knots with the square kite up in 20' seas!

Cheers

Hello all,

Slowboat directed me to this thread yesterday and it is great to see all the posts about the great Swede 55!

My Parter Shawn and myself sailed the Pacific Cup in 2006 on The Contessa and are preparing for the July start this year.

I have sailed this boat since 1991 and can attest, probably one of the most fun boats I ever sailed. I also sailed on the Swede 55 Temptress back in the 1980's, and that got me hooked.

Is the sail area too small?

Not in 30 knots with the square kite up in 20' seas!

Cheers

Hey NeilW,

interesting. Would be nice to see fotos or pressclips here from that race aboard "Temptress".

Best, Zebra

I have seen the first sign of spring...;-))

New sails blooming on the floor at the loft - i cant wait - must be on the wet in a hurry this year..;-))

Lars

post-22703-1204585537_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1204585547_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1204585557_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1204585568_thumb.jpg

Wow Klok! I will take one of those as well...Oh, and a new number one, and maybe a reaching kite while I'm at it...

Nice looking sails.

Motley, if you meet the owner direct them to this thread, it would be great to get a few more owners on here.

Contessa is on the hard @ Grand Marina, looks like a new bottom and some long boarding. She's got a saildrive.

ss

Yep, all the Swede 55's came with a Saildrive. Mine was a Volvo MD11C with a 110S saildrive. I believe that the Contessa has a new Volvo in her. The one in New York was replaced with a Yanmar 35hp and Saildrive. The previous owner said it was an easy swap.

I have seen the first sign of spring...;-))

New sails blooming on the floor at the loft - i cant wait - must be on the wet in a hurry this year..;-))

Lars

Paaaah, what a logo. Misleading and ah, can't say. :(

Will have to refrain from danish joghurt and go on with Turkish instead.

Nice sail though. What kind of fibres are glued between that mylar sandwich.

What kind of car can you buy for it?

But - the logo - no. :angry:

Hi Zebra

Damnd - i might have a talk with Arla who make that yougurt...

Sorry you dont like the logo - but i dont like the old so..;-))..

But .. besides that - i´ll give you more info on the sails in a day or 2 - just for the fun.

And further more.. i have heard that someone are trying to make room for us Swede 55 sailors at Classic Week in Svendborg next year.

They seems to have one or 2 classic fiber boat classes participating every year...: I think it could be fun to have a meeting down there next year - as far as i can see we could be a few Swedes , the 3 in DK - you and maybe one more from Germany + the swedish and maybe norway..?? Would you be interested..??

All the best... the guy with the ugly logo..

;-))

Hi Klok and Zebra a question for you:

I have compasses on the wheel bridge which are effected by the steering cables running under them - IE turn the wheel and the compass turns as well (not because of a direction turn) How did you manage to isolate the compasses from this issue? (I see all Swedes have them)

Hi Slowboat

Hmmm i have compasses on each side of the bridge too - and have absolutely no problems - only thing i can think of is that you maybe have wires of iron instead of stainless - or maybe have a wirelock where it´s connected to the chain - chain or wirelock could be iron too.. made by mistake from another owner..??.

Try with a magnet to see if it´s stainless - ??

It should be a very easy change to a non magnetic stainless wire, lock and chain..

Let me hear if you solve it .?

All the best

Klok

Hi Klok and Zebra a question for you:

I have compasses on the wheel bridge which are effected by the steering cables running under them - IE turn the wheel and the compass turns as well (not because of a direction turn) How did you manage to isolate the compasses from this issue? (I see all Swedes have them)

Zebra

Promised to give you more info on sails.

FIbres are Carbon and aramide - designed/taylormade to this sail - no seams at all - technique is something like Genesis/3D/D4 or what ever they call it .. we dont have a name yet..;-).

But my old main had a weight at 56 kg. This one weighs 18 kg.!! Same difference with the jib.

Main has 5 fullbatten, loose foot, 2 reefs. Ballbearing battencars etc.

Jib has 4 vertical battens for easy furling.

The whole "car" main and jib - cost about 10.000 Euro + vat. - (in Germany you get a lot of car - in DK ...that will be a very old and small car..;-))

I have one Code 0 in order too , comming in 3 weeks time , just before season start - about 80 sqm.....flat and able to go upwind like maybe minus 3-5 degrees compared with a genoa 1.

And the best part - it´s messured as a spinnaker so it wont affect my rating. Really looking forward to test it.

Backstay and runners are changed to carbonfibers too this year - so weight in rig will be dramatically reduced with this setup.

- If you feel like driving up north a few hours, your welcome to test them yourself..could be fun.??

Best wishes for the season

Klok

quote name='Zebra' date='Mar 18 2008, 09:38 PM' post='1602360']

Your sails sound pretty nice! I'm looking at a new 155% this year, but nothing else for sails. I have put a ton of cash into new hardware (New Harken double traveler with 6-1 controls, and 100mm Carbo Airblocks) all new Spinlock stoppers (XTS and XX depending on the load), new running backs (line, blocks, stoppers, etc) all new sheets, spinnaker snuffer and the list goes on and on.

I have considered a code zero, but they ding you 3 seconds per mile for the sail here, so it would really need to perform.

I will look at the steering cables - I assumed that it was the chains, and everyone had dealt with it some how, but perhaps it's the cable - time to dig out a magnet.

Thanks,

Slow.

Slow

Sunds like the right gear your putting on the boat..

If you havent decided which Spinlock you want - here is what´s on my boat.

Backstay / runners - spinlock XCS

Halyards: The boat was already equipped with the old XAS...and they were in ok condition so i havent changed them yet - they works fine and seems to be able to hold the load.? So if you go up to XTS/XCS...you´ll be more than safe.? I dont think you need to buy the XX.

The code 0 - you can be right with the penalty, there are different rules - especially about mid girth - in DK the mid girth shall be 65% of foot, then it can be messured as a spinnakker/gennaker and then nearly free of pen.

But i´ll let you know the messures of mine when it comes..and results from sailing.

Hope you find the compass error

Best regards

Klok

Your sails sound pretty nice! I'm looking at a new 155% this year, but nothing else for sails. I have put a ton of cash into new hardware (New Harken double traveler with 6-1 controls, and 100mm Carbo Airblocks) all new Spinlock stoppers (XTS and XX depending on the load), new running backs (line, blocks, stoppers, etc) all new sheets, spinnaker snuffer and the list goes on and on.

I have considered a code zero, but they ding you 3 seconds per mile for the sail here, so it would really need to perform.

I will look at the steering cables - I assumed that it was the chains, and everyone had dealt with it some how, but perhaps it's the cable - time to dig out a magnet.

Thanks,

Slow.

Hi Zebra

Damnd - i might have a talk with Arla who make that yougurt...

Sorry you dont like the logo - but i dont like the old so..;-))..

But .. besides that - i´ll give you more info on the sails in a day or 2 - just for the fun.

And further more.. i have heard that someone are trying to make room for us Swede 55 sailors at Classic Week in Svendborg next year.

They seems to have one or 2 classic fiber boat classes participating every year...: I think it could be fun to have a meeting down there next year - as far as i can see we could be a few Swedes , the 3 in DK - you and maybe one more from Germany + the swedish and maybe norway..?? Would you be interested..??

All the best... the guy with the ugly logo..

;-))

Hey Klok=the man with that awfully misleading logo (paaaah),

congratulations to the new wardrope. Relly teasing.

10.000 Euros - this sounds more than reasonable. Although for 10.000 Euro you can only acquire a problem for the street, not a car.

Svendborg - nice idea. Berthed next to the man with the underlined 55 eating turkish joghurt - and never racing because he has way better sails (and the wrong - yes, umpf)

This summer, we are going to Marstrand (late June - early July back). Just three weeks.

Enclosed a foto of a Swede 55 predecessor. Famous Eric Lundbergs 75 sqm boat "Bacchant" and the Swede 55 successor Swede 75, later named Swede 52. Smashing boat. A lot of horsepower and very little horseshit.

post-24585-1207231601_thumb.jpg

post-24585-1207231627_thumb.jpg

Zebra old chap..;-))

Glad you like the Svendborg Classic Week idea... there i may have a chance to fill you with wiskey and late at night force you to admit you love the logo - your just jealous you didnt get the idea yourself....;-)))) I´ll send you a T-shit by mail...;-))

maybe a towel too... to wipe your eyes....lol

Marstrand mmmm sonds nice - we are going the opposite direction - down and round of Fyn..and later to Copenhagen - ending at island of Anholt as usual.

Nice pictures..as usual - do you btw have the sail logo from Baccant..??

OK.. here are a present just for you - so you can dream of the T-shirt comming to you...;-))

Best...regards

The ugly guy in Türkish yougurt with a damnd nice T-shirt...;-))

BTW... if you ever want a new sail..just let me know...i sell those and you will for sure get a good price.;-)

Hey Klok=the man with that awfully misleading logo (paaaah),

congratulations to the new wardrope. Relly teasing.

10.000 Euros - this sounds more than reasonable. Although for 10.000 Euro you can only acquire a problem for the street, not a car.

Svendborg - nice idea. Berthed next to the man with the underlined 55 eating turkish joghurt - and never racing because he has way better sails (and the wrong - yes, umpf)

This summer, we are going to Marstrand (late June - early July back). Just three weeks.

Enclosed a foto of a Swede 55 predecessor. Famous Eric Lundbergs 75 sqm boat "Bacchant" and the Swede 55 successor Swede 75, later named Swede 52. Smashing boat. A lot of horsepower and very little horseshit.

post-22703-1207251674_thumb.jpg

Another little historical connection.Baccant was highly influential in the design of the NZ Ranger ,the boat that ruled NZ yachting from 1938 until the 1960's and the advent of boats like Fidelis and then Infidel/ Ragtime. Ranger is 60ft.

Nice Slowboat..;-))

More gas.. love it .;-)) but i dont remember - is Baccant a REAL 75 sqm..?? or .?

I may be far out - but just because of a line - it´s not an attempt to make it look like a 12 meter - just a redesigning like everybody does when they take a 70ty boat and give it an overhaul.

I like the line under the 55..

Try compare it with the original. And btw...i am not the only one using "lines" in sail logos..;)

thx..for the gas..;-)

Klok

SWEDE

I will add gas to the flames - Baccant's old sail logo:

1556067_1.jpg

Looks like they left it off the new set of sails:

1556067_2.jpg

The complete listing:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boa...boat_id=1556067

post-22703-1207261734_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1207261755_thumb.jpg

And to all..

A new owner came by the other day.

Swedish 55ér... who soon have a website running - he promised to let us know.

I was permitted to show his pic´s here.

Nice tent though.!

Enjoy

post-22703-1207263225_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1207263270_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1207263335_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1207263431_thumb.jpg

post-22703-1207263474_thumb.jpg

More gas.. love it .;-)) but i dont remember - is Baccant a REAL 75 sqm..?? or .?

According to Uffa Fox's book "Sail and Power", published in 1936, Bacchant was the first 75 square meter. One of the more interesting innovations on her is that the headstay didn't terminate on deck, but went below deck level to a small covered locker (similar to an anchor locker). Additional sails could be left hanked on to the headstay and kept stowed out of the way, then quickly raised when needed (after unhanking the previous one of course).

Love the pics guys.

Welcome Viveka (Swede 55 no 20), the boat still has the same name? And what is the reason for having a keel instead of deck stepped mast? Something that boat did not have before.

For the logoman (Klok) enclosed a foto of a true 95 sqm skärgårdskryssare. The 95 underlined - indicating it is a true skerrycruiser accoarding to the now 100 year old rule (repeatedly revised until 1935) and not a spin off or variation like Swede 55. She is a cruising sqm boat and a separate onedesign (see my previous post) some months ago.

post-24585-1207642339_thumb.jpg

Zebra

You must have the sharpest eye around - i didnt see the mast was keel stepped.?? but it is..

Will be interesting to hear why...

And it´s not the first time you see something others dont..;-)) special glasses..??

Hmmm but please tell me... are Baccant a true 75 sqm...?? or is it a spinn off.?

Klok

Welcome Viveka (Swede 55 no 20), the boat still has the same name? And what is the reason for having a keel instead of deck stepped mast? Something that boat did not have before.

For the logoman (Klok) enclosed a foto of a true 95 sqm skärgårdskryssare. The 95 underlined - indicating it is a true skerrycruiser accoarding to the now 100 year old rule (repeatedly revised until 1935) and not a spin off or variation like Swede 55. She is a cruising sqm boat and a separate onedesign (see my previous post) some months ago.

Zebra

You must have the sharpest eye around - i didnt see the mast was keel stepped.?? but it is..

Will be interesting to hear why...

And it´s not the first time you see something others dont..;-)) special glasses..??

Hmmm but please tell me... are Baccant a true 75 sqm...?? or is it a spinn off.?

Klok

Klok,

the first 75 sqm boat was "Gun", 16,60 x 2,57, built 1918 due to a E. Salander design. The last and biggest was "Bacchant II" built for the famous Stockholm lawyer and yachtsman E. Lundberg by Knud H. Reimer 1936 accoarding to the 1925 sqm rule. 19,35 x 2,97. The boat was modified (separate spade rudder), reinforcements in the structure later - so it is no longer accoarding to the skerrycruiser class. You could say that Bacchant became in a way a predecessor of Swede 55. Naval architects mostly keep doing the same thing, varying a particular general concept. Spent an afternoon sailing Bacchant in the mid nineties on Lake Michigan. Impossible to forget those hours.

Still the best source for true sqm boats is: Per Thelander: Alla våra Skärgårdskryssare ISBN 91-970902-1-2, Published 1991 - try at Amazon or other second hand book sellers.

Special glasses? No, I just like those boats, being it true skerrycruisers or Swede 55 as a spin off and one design.

Greetings by the man preferring turkish joghurt for the time being ...

Zebra

PS: I had the pleasure to sail Swede 55 (no 20) then with the original mast about a decade ago in the Adriatic. Her owner was an intoxicated yachtsman and a fine man, a true (and rare) gentleman

post-24585-1207730002_thumb.jpg

I have been hard at work on my Swede - it looks like I will be going in late this year (June 7th) but it will be nice to get some of the big projects completed.

I figured I would post an update on the work that I have been doing on the Swede.

First it was time to install a traveler - the original setup might have been good for 1977, but it didn't cut it by today's standards. You can see the "Y" setup that made the mainsheet 2-1. It had these crappy jam cleats in the middle so you could -kind of- control the main. Anyway, it never worked for us. So I'm installing a new Harken big boat double car traveler.

cockpit.jpg

Once I looked at the bridge deck it was clear that it wasn't up to the task - the trav has a safe working load of 5000lbs and I should make the rest of it up to the task. I refastened the teak that was there, then went and built a new beam out of Sapele to bolt the trav on to - this beam bolts to the cockpit sides and won't go anywhere. It also stiffened up what was there, so it's very robust.

Traveler_beam.jpg

Traveler_beam_end.jpg

I through bolted the whole thing to the other beams as well. Install was tight, and I wish I could have made it a bit longer but it will do the job.

Here it is bolted in from the underside:

Traveler_underside.jpg

I then replaced all 10 million plugs on the trav and clamped the whole thing down in a couple of places that needed it.

Traveler_plugged_clamped.jpg

Tomorrow I will trim the plugs and sand it all down.

The other big project I've been working on is the halyard system. It used to be that the halyards went around the winches and into these crappy jam cleats. The cleats slipped all the time, and it also meant that the winch was always occupied by the line.

I decided to cut out the portion of the cabin top in front of the winches and add stoppers - a combination of Spinlock XX stoppers for the highly loaded lines and XTS for the lower load lines.

Anyway, I made the cut and was pretty surprised that the cabin top was 1/2" of solid glass. I basically took this piece of glass and dropped it down onto the "sub" cabin top which was underneath it. This was 1/4" solid glass - I now will have 3/4" of solid glass to bolt the stoppers to, which should be plenty and they are well tied into the structure of the boat.

Here is a shot of the old system: (it's the same on both sides of the boat)

old_halyard_setup.jpg

And here is the modified deck ready for some clean-up and final fairing:

cabin_top.jpg

Underneath the winches and old cleats the builder installed aluminum backing plates in the glass, so all you really needed to do was drill and tap to install new hardware.

BTW, I didn't mention that the halyards all run under the top of the deck, and will continue to with this system.

I was asked on another forum how the main sheet system worked:

The centre jam cleats ( out of sight) allow you jam one side of the purchase and operate 'half' the system for twist?

Is that how it works?

And you can get away with little purchase because of dedicated winches?

And they were correct, except the system never really worked for a 500sq ft main. The cleats always worked when you didn't want them to, and didn't work when you really needed it. The winches on the bridge were Lewmar 2 speed 16's, and they weren't up to the job, nor were they self tailers.

The new system will be the standard "Admirals Cup" system. It's still 2-1, but will go out to the large Lewmar 44st's. I have removed the smaller winches on the bridge.

Here is a shot from the front:

old_traveler.jpg

Boy, you seem to be in trouble. So am I. As you will observe from the carefully smuggled vaccumcleaner from home aboard and the already deposited flag pole - I am approaching the 2008 season in earnest ...

As a clean german - I have two vacuum cleaners. One for the really dirty jobs, one for the less dirty like ordinary and cosy fibreglass dust.

I wonder how far our logoman from denmark is. Already teasing other boaters (I didn't say sailors) with his sensational main?

Greeting to you guys with nice and inappropriate logos.

Zebra

post-24585-1210106083_thumb.jpg

I thought you guys would like the note I uncovered when I removed a "charlie noble" (it's what we call a vent through the cabin roof) from the cabin top that had been used for an on-demand water heater.

On the bronze fitting it's self is written:

"Your Dame American. This boat is very bad built. You ("are" crossed out) have been falt (which I think they must have meant "told"). HA.M"

I had a good long laugh about it - 30 years later the only problem with the construction of the boat I could find was it being over built. I'm assuming they got into the aquavit a bit early one day and he let loose - probably thinking no-one would ever find his note. The hole in the cabin top was through a plywood insert, and the plywood looked like it did the day it was cut. It's also interesting they knew that the boat was going to an American buyer.

Anyway, the note:

Note-from-Builder.jpg

Funny remark, apparently written for a fellow like you.

Enclosed some pics of the small Swede 55 sister S30. Pics of an australien S30, presumably brought there 1972.

post-24585-1210361523_thumb.jpg

post-24585-1210361538_thumb.jpg

post-24585-1210361553_thumb.jpg

I love this thread!! Some time back someone posted a pic of a Borresen BB10. Here are some of my old boat, which was built in 1984 I think. The boat was designed about 1976, the same time as the Swede and is still a National Class in Denmark I believe with over 130 built. They are still building them.

Linky

Look under the drop down menu named "Keelboats"

post-1762-1210405810_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210405769_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210405700_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210405979_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210406604_thumb.jpg

The new owner has spent a shipload of cash on a complete new sail wardrobe and a new rig configuration, and is cleaning up in IRC with a rating of .928. We were pretty competitive on our day with at .944, so the boat now only has to turn up and go in the right direction to score!

Fun times....I sometimes regret selling her. :)

post-1762-1210405731_thumb.jpg

Wonderful boat. Does is have this smart outboard - barrel plug arrangement in the cockpit?

No reason to be concerned about the uglyness of contemporarty series/mass production as long as those pretty boats like the B10 keep sailing and make our hearts beat a little faster ...

And you can always find a secondhand one and hoist the sails.

Enclosed some pixels of the perhaps and probably loveliest boat ever (to my mind). Uffa Fox admired it and reviewed it in one of his books.

I am happy I can't afford it. If I could, I would have to - and varnish 2 x 19 Metres plus something once a year.

Nice weekend

post-24585-1210441931_thumb.jpg

Nice pic. Zeb. Looks a bit like "Bacchante"

Yes, Surprise has the Bucket outboard system and I replaced the original 4hp Yamaha with a 5 in about 2001. You can now get the boat ex factory with a Yanmar saildrive, but to me the boat would be ideal for an electic unit like this.

Linky

If you go to the PDF Case studies you get some good shots of the YLVA, which looks like a nice boat.

Nice pic. Zeb. Looks a bit like "Bacchante"

Yes, Surprise has the Bucket outboard system and I replaced the original 4hp Yamaha with a 5 in about 2001. You can now get the boat ex factory with a Yanmar saildrive, but to me the boat would be ideal for an electic unit like this.

Linky

If you go to the PDF Case studies you get some good shots of the YLVA, which looks like a nice boat.

Judge, interesting. I wonder how heavy the entire package, drive plus batteries comes. The Ylva is occasionally seen in scandinavian waters. Pretty toy, don't know much about her.

As Australian resident you might know more about Rolly Taskers first "Siska", a 40 squaremetre boat converted to a yawl for doing the Sydney - Hobart. Must have been in the sixties.

I always wanted to get some pics, since this boat is said to have been an inspiration for the Stockholm consortium to develop a seagoing and more roomy cruising 40 squaremetre, which was to become Swede 55 in the mid seventies.

Rolly Tasker set up an America's cup model boat museum, perhaps there is someone willing to help? RT must be old now.

However, this particular "Siska" was the first of a series of famous raceboats. I niever found out, if she joined the race and how she performed. Doing this race in a traditional low freeboard 40 sqm boat seems to be a special idea of a dedicated sailor.

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1210494553_thumb.jpg

Well, as to "Lotus", a friend & I went to New York & he bought her last November. She's currently being re-rigged at Oyster Bay Marine. Apparently after three years ashore, squirrels had pretty much wrecked the running rigging.

Great thread, lots of tips for a new owner.

Bit of a contrast from my old boat, a 23' lunatic Mini-Tonner, Glass Onion.

post-28136-1210673333_thumb.jpg

Lotus will be at Shamrock Quay, Southampton to be sailed for a month or so, after we get back. We have put a new radar on her, a very small RO plant, new instruments, complete new rigging, then we're going to utterly strip her, re-wire, sort out the interior, then sail her.

Lotus will be at Shamrock Quay, Southampton to be sailed for a month or so, after we get back. We have put a new radar on her, a very small RO plant, new instruments, complete new rigging, then we're going to utterly strip her, re-wire, sort out the interior, then sail her.

Interesting mast storage system on three funnels.

More beef please about the boat, where acquired, year built, sail number, how long in the US ...

There is or was a sister ship named "Valhall" berthed in that river near Shamrock quay. I nearly fell of the plane when approaching Southampton aiirport some years ago. A white boat. Still there?

Shoud, be a nice reach from Bushland to the old world.

Toothpickboatmania and Swede 55 maniacs greetings

Zebra

Interesting mast storage system on three funnels.

Did I forget to mention the three triple-expansion engines & Scott boilers for the crossing? Sorry, I design large vessel propulsion systems for a living...

She's Mark Washeim's old boat. I know he was really reluctant to sell her, and a great guy.

I'm still in the UK, but my friend has been working solidly on her, with assistance, since the end of March.

I don't have the hull number, but she's a 1978 build, according to the survey. The hull number isn't on the report, but I'm flying out 24th May, so can post details then.

She has hydraulics on the kicker and runners, and appears to have the forestay moved forward. We're doing the minimum to get her home safely, which does not mean "On a shoestring", but cosmetics can wait a month or two.

Cheers Zebra (and Slowboat for pointing me here)

Did I forget to mention the three triple-expansion engines & Scott boilers for the crossing? Sorry, I design large vessel propulsion systems for a living...

She's Mark Washeim's old boat. I know he was really reluctant to sell her, and a great guy.

I'm still in the UK, but my friend has been working solidly on her, with assistance, since the end of March.

I don't have the hull number, but she's a 1978 build, according to the survey. The hull number isn't on the report, but I'm flying out 24th May, so can post details then.

She has hydraulics on the kicker and runners, and appears to have the forestay moved forward. We're doing the minimum to get her home safely, which does not mean "On a shoestring", but cosmetics can wait a month or two.

Cheers Zebra (and Slowboat for pointing me here)

Delighted to understand your are going to use the spar. As far as I know, refuelling is not so easy out there

Hmmmmm Hello Zebra and all ......

No unfortunately i am not teasing anyone have the privelege to make sure that others are in the wet before my own boat...so..i am still lacking and doing small preperations to be ready... so NEXT week... then i will be teasing, with the new main, the new genoa AND..the new Code 0...pictures will follow.;-)).

We are also in the middle of doing the Kaniga (the other Swede 55) and she is going to be even more nice than mine...damnd..;-))

I envie all of you who allready are sailing

Logoman

Boy, you seem to be in trouble. So am I. As you will observe from the carefully smuggled vaccumcleaner from home aboard and the already deposited flag pole - I am approaching the 2008 season in earnest ...

As a clean german - I have two vacuum cleaners. One for the really dirty jobs, one for the less dirty like ordinary and cosy fibreglass dust.

I wonder how far our logoman from denmark is. Already teasing other boaters (I didn't say sailors) with his sensational main?

Greeting to you guys with nice and inappropriate logos.

Zebra

Wonderful thread gentlmen.

Slowboat,

Have you filled out your crew yet? You should not have a problem at all I would think.

I have noticed somthing in all the photos posted so far. The boats are beutiful and seem to atract beutiful women to them as well. I am sure you will continue this tradition.

Best of luck to you, she is beutiful ride.

Bored Ex-Broker

J

As Australian resident you might know more about Rolly Taskers first "Siska", a 40 squaremetre boat converted to a yawl for doing the Sydney - Hobart. Must have been in the sixties.

I always wanted to get some pics, since this boat is said to have been an inspiration for the Stockholm consortium to develop a seagoing and more roomy cruising 40 squaremetre, which was to become Swede 55 in the mid seventies.

Rolly Tasker set up an America's cup model boat museum, perhaps there is someone willing to help? RT must be old now.

However, this particular "Siska" was the first of a series of famous raceboats. I niever found out, if she joined the race and how she performed. Doing this race in a traditional low freeboard 40 sqm boat seems to be a special idea of a dedicated sailor.

Best, Zebra

Although I remember some mentions and photos of the original "Siska" all I could find about her was a small par in the biography of Tasker called "Sailing to the Moon". She is described as being 21 years old when he bought her in 1966, [ie built in 1945?], 50 feet long and formerly known as "Hiawatha", "Aberlady", and Kirribilli". He changed the rig from sloop to a ketch, rebuilt the bow, stern, and cockpit, and added a rounded doghouse to what looks like a typical metre boat trunk cabin. The one picture of her in the book looks like just like a toothpick boat converted to a cruiser, but the name "Siska" is said to be Danish :huh: .

Someone from Sydney might be able to throw some light on the boats' former identities, but there were a string boats including 5.5's and 6 metres called "Kirribilli" on the harbour up to the 70's I think.

A search of the results of the Sydney Hobart shows results of 6th to Hobart in 1969 and 5th in 1971, but I'm not sure if this was the original, or "SiskaII". Hope this helps.

Hey Slow, how close are you my friend? I am going out on the Megabyte in a little while and was thinking of your 36 degree water.

I think that some of my Finn buddies are going to be heading to Shelburne later this summer. I'll let you know so you and your lovely wife can avoid them like the plague :).

RD

Hmmmmm Hello Zebra and all ......

No unfortunately i am not teasing anyone have the privelege to make sure that others are in the wet before my own boat...so..i am still lacking and doing small preperations to be ready... so NEXT week... then i will be teasing, with the new main, the new genoa AND..the new Code 0...pictures will follow.;-)).

We are also in the middle of doing the Kaniga (the other Swede 55) and she is going to be even more nice than mine...damnd..;-))

I envie all of you who allready are sailing

Logoman

Gentlemen and Slowboat,

eat more swedish crispbread. Keeps you healthy and strong getting the toys ready for the lake or even bigger ponds, comes from the country where the original squaremetre rule and boats have been invented 100 years ago, and then there is Swede 55, a boat you can but don't have do make all these alterations being observed in this thread here. :P

Cheers, Zebra

post-24585-1211564696_thumb.jpg

Oh man what a long project this paint job has turned out to be. I'm painting all the decks, cockpit, etc.

1: The Swede has a crap load of hardware on it.

2: The deck seems to go on and on

3: There are way too many little curves and pockets and corners full of dings from 30 years of sailing, etc that all need to be filled, sanded and faired.

So anyway, I'm hoping to lay down the first coat of primer either tonight or tomorrow morning. Everything is masked, cleaned and ready to go. We will see what happens with the weather.

I will get post some pictures of the work soon. Hopefully within the week I will have the paint complete and can start putting the hardware back on.

Red Dragon, I will watch out for the Finn guys, though I can usually find plenty of trouble on my own. \

Bored Broker - I think I have a full boat at this point. Some beginners and some intermediate sailors. This will be a development year! Stop by some time - we should go for a sail.

Lotus Update:

Not crossing the Atlantic this year. A load of stuff done, but more to do. Off to maybe buy a "Baby Blake" heads tomorrrow, if the jetlag allows.

We currently have 4:1 runners onto a Lewmar 55, which I think is utterly wrong and overgeared.

The forehatch is very leaky, as are the top hatches, to the extent a few floorboards needed replacing. What should we be replacing them with?

The self-tacker jams constantly, on a Pico track. Any advice (dump that system & go Harken?)

She steers like a bloody dream upwind, and even under-canvassed, seems to demolish every other boat on Long Island Sound.

Hello Swede 55 aficionados,

just back from 700 interesting miles to Gothenburg, few days in the beautiful and charming archipelago of Orust/Tjoern and the outer islands, Marstrand and back to the serious sides of life.

Please note the carefully chosen colours of my crewmember.

Cheers, Zebra

Hello Swede 55 aficionados,

just back from 700 interesting miles to Gothenburg, few days in the beautiful and charming archipelago of Orust/Tjoern and the outer islands, Marstrand and back to the serious sides of life.

Please note the carefully chosen colours of my crewmember.

Cheers, Zebra

Zebra, stop teasing us. You know what they say on Sailing Anarchy, pics or it didn't happen.

post-24585-1215437855_thumb.jpg
Zebra, stop teasing us. You know what they say on Sailing Anarchy, pics or it didn't happen.

Gentlemen (apparently, there seem to be few to zero Ladies here)

did you know that true Germans have a leisurely smart sense for fashion (colours in particular), way more than any Italian could ever imagine or possibly make it at all happen?

Note the fellow in front of the mast, discreetly repeating the colours of the - well, yes - german flag. From pants via jacket to cap – simply tasteful. Next year, we will show up in Portofino this way. We (or he) will make Donatella Versace make turning pale.

I admit, this state of sophistication is hard to reach, however, as nice guys, we are occ. willing to share

Zebra

enclosure for all, who reluctantly like to believe: MARSTRAND (east bank, rive gauche)

post-24585-1215439192_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of "The Contessa" taken yesterday while we were trying out the new sails for next weeks Pacific Cup race. New red LPU hull, decks and mast, new rigging yada yada

Contessa.jpg

Here is a picture of "The Contessa" taken yesterday while we were trying out the new sails for next weeks Pacific Cup race. New red LPU hull, decks and mast, new rigging yada yada

Contessa.jpg

Boy, this is pretty - more ...

post-24585-1215500675_thumb.jpg

Hi Zebra and all

Best wishes for a nice swede summer

Here as promised - pics of Calypso in her new "lingerie"..;-)

Starting on a 4 weeks vacation in danish waters this saturday - really needed..

See you all

Klok

post-22703-1215595060_thumb.jpg

Holy Shit Klok! She looks about as sexy as I can imagine.

Rosina looks pretty good after all the work I did this winter - Friday I will take some pictures and get them up here for everyone to take a look at. She went in late, and I have my first practice with the new crew tonight. Let's hope we don't break anything.

Noah

Hi Zebra and all

Best wishes for a nice swede summer

Here as promised - pics of Calypso in her new "lingerie"..;-)

Starting on a 4 weeks vacation in danish waters this saturday - really needed..

See you all

Klok

Fantastic Klok!

Zebra, about 10 minutes walk from my house, downriver (I don't live opposite a scrapyard), this morning, I snapped this:

Could be Valhall, but I need to get on the river to find out. Am trying to contact the owner.

post-28136-1215978449_thumb.jpg