• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Slowboat

Swede 55

nov_2-032.jpg

nov_2-014.jpghow is the mainsheet winch arrangement, one winch mounted on each coaming? More pixels and beef please!

Cheers, Zebra

post-24585-1225822802_thumb.jpg

Two winches, one on either side of the cockpit (Lewmar 44st). I didn't get around to rebuilding the cover for the steering gear this year - it will be completed this winter.

nov_2-007.jpg

Looking under the Spinnaker:

nov_2-035.jpg

And starting to get some projection to windward as we head down. It takes concentrated work of both the driver and trimmer, but we are able project the kite way out in front and run pretty deep with good speed.

nov_2-023.jpg

And one more under Spinnaker. We were racing double handed and corrected out to 2nd in A-class for this race. It was a point to point race, with the last two legs a tight reach in 4-6 knots of wind. We couldn't quite catch that damn Melges 24! (The boat I raced on for the last 8 years).

Rosina_Hot_Ruddered_Finish.jpg

And one more under Spinnaker. We were racing double handed and corrected out to 2nd in A-class for this race. It was a point to point race, with the last two legs a tight reach in 4-6 knots of wind. We couldn't quite catch that damn Melges 24! (The boat I raced on for the last 8 years).

Rosina_Hot_Ruddered_Finish.jpg

Interesting. Those Lewmar 44 mainsheet winches were available somewhere or is it just about the carefully chosen minimum size to pull the 2:1 mainsheet arrangement? How do you tighten and lock your runners then?

The car slides easily on its track with the mainsheet under load?

Zebra

Hi Zebra -

I had the Lewmar 44 winches on hand - you could probably downsize a few sizes and be ok, but the goal was to try to keep the loads low/easy to use.

The traveler works very well, but it's all oversized. I used the Harken 5000 Double (3167) Big boat Car, and Harken 6-1 control blocks. Furthermore I used 75mm Airblocks for the trav and a 100mm airblock for the boom, so even loaded up the mainsheet moves through the blocks very easily.

As you know, the top of the bridge is curved, so I did the math to make sure that the Harken double car would work. The Harken - H3167 car requires a minimum radius of 24' (7.32m) on curved track. The Chord Length of the bridge is 65" and the Chord depth is 1.5" for a Radius of 29.4ft - Harken confirmed that this setup was fine.

Hi Zebra -

I had the Lewmar 44 winches on hand - you could probably downsize a few sizes and be ok, but the goal was to try to keep the loads low/easy to use.

The traveler works very well, but it's all oversized. I used the Harken 5000 Double (3167) Big boat Car, and Harken 6-1 control blocks. Furthermore I used 75mm Airblocks for the trav and a 100mm airblock for the boom, so even loaded up the mainsheet moves through the blocks very easily.

As you know, the top of the bridge is curved, so I did the math to make sure that the Harken double car would work. The Harken - H3167 car requires a minimum radius of 24' (7.32m) on curved track. The Chord Length of the bridge is 65" and the Chord depth is 1.5" for a Radius of 29.4ft - Harken confirmed that this setup was fine.

Interesting. What is holding the tightened runner then? Any pic?

In the wind conditions that we have here on the lake (generally under 15knots) I'm finding that I almost never use the runners - that said they are 2-1 and go through Spinlock XTS clutches. I run the tail forward to the "lazy" primary (genoa) winch which is a Lewmar 55St. I placed the clutches so that the tail runs pretty straight to the forward winch, though one side does rub slightly on the base of the mainsheet winch. I suppose in a perfect world I could use another pair of winches for the runners, but I would prefer to keep the weight off the boat.

BTW I used Ferrules for the top "block" on the runners instead of putting a block up there that would bang around. They work really well and were cheap and indestructible. The actual runner is 5/16" Amsteel blue. Light and strong.

15375-1.gif

In the wind conditions that we have here on the lake (generally under 15knots) I'm finding that I almost never use the runners - that said they are 2-1 and go through Spinlock XTS clutches. I run the tail forward to the "lazy" primary (genoa) winch which is a Lewmar 55St. I placed the clutches so that the tail runs pretty straight to the forward winch, though one side does rub slightly on the base of the mainsheet winch. I suppose in a perfect world I could use another pair of winches for the runners, but I would prefer to keep the weight off the boat.

BTW I used Ferrules for the top "block" on the runners instead of putting a block up there that would bang around. They work really well and were cheap and indestructible. The actual runner is 5/16" Amsteel blue. Light and strong.

15375-1.gif

Interesting. I would be reluctant with that solution since I am used to ease and tighten the runners myself and give the necc. = guessed power on the headstay with an Andersen 28 selfsailing in reach, that is at the former position of the spinnaker sheet winches. At straightlined headstay is always nice to have I would think.

Enclosed a foto taken while the boat was on the hard and I was in a similar habit like you seem to be right now (doing much) - some years ago. It shows a heavy, was oversized Lewmar traveller arrangement. It carries a really oversized car Lewmar, Solent something, fitting to a Swan 65, they said when I purchased the stuff - it runs smootly even under load, provided the bearings are cleaned and greased occasionnally.

By the way, what did you do with your halyard winch arrangement next to the sliding hatch - main entrance. Any pic of the result?

What did

post-24585-1226169140_thumb.jpg

Guys, did you ever sort out the front hatch leaking?

Lotus is currently a seive.

My "solution" for the time being until a brilliant idea comes up: Keep the hatch closed and seal it with waterproof tape. Doesn't look nice but does the job.

Zebra

post-24585-1226256713_thumb.jpg

post-24585-1226257140_thumb.jpg

My front hatch doesn't leak, but then again I'm sailing in pretty calm waters. Still I was bucketing down the boat with water yesterday and deliberately gave it a pretty good go and it was water tight. I have the two plastic latches in the front, and closed cell foam tape for a gasket. If I was going off shore I would make sure that the hatch hinges are through bolted, and there was a very secure way to lock it.

Here is a video of us sailing on Sat. The reefed main and 135% jib probably wasn't the fastest combo, but that's what we were sailing with.

nov_8-018.jpg

nov_8-020.jpg

Modifying the coach roof to accept the clutches worked very well. I suppose I could use some larger halyard winches, but overall it was a huge success. Much better than those stupid jam cleats.

For high load lines (Main Halyard, Genoa/Jib Halyard, Spin Halyard and Spin Tack) I used Spinlock XX clutches. For the lower loaded lines I used Spinlock XTS.

nov_8-008.jpg

Sails-040.jpg

Frum,

The kite is from Z-sails. I like it, and it has proved pretty fast. It doesn't have the huge "shoulder" that some kites have, but I have found that it's a great all round kite, and we can run very deep with it. I don't have much to compare speed to, but we are very fast down wind, so it must be working.

Next kite on the books is a frac heavy air kite.

I haven't had Bill make any sails yet, though I have been talking to him about a new number 1, and perhaps a new main as well. Serious cash though...

My Hinckley was 1953 36' CCA racer. Cool boat, that I had a great time on.

in_shed.jpg

Modifying the coach roof to accept the clutches worked very well. I suppose I could use some larger halyard winches, but overall it was a huge success. Much better than those stupid jam cleats.

For high load lines (Main Halyard, Genoa/Jib Halyard, Spin Halyard and Spin Tack) I used Spinlock XX clutches. For the lower loaded lines I used Spinlock XTS.

nov_8-008.jpg

Sails-040.jpg

and what is the name of the dog (part of the regular crew, any particular duties?)??

Zebra

I love this thread!! Some time back someone posted a pic of a Borresen BB10. Here are some of my old boat, which was built in 1984 I think. The boat was designed about 1976, the same time as the Swede and is still a National Class in Denmark I believe with over 130 built. They are still building them.

Linky

Look under the drop down menu named "Keelboats"

post-1762-1210405810_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210405769_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210405700_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210405979_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1210406604_thumb.jpg

The new owner has spent a shipload of cash on a complete new sail wardrobe and a new rig configuration, and is cleaning up in IRC with a rating of .928. We were pretty competitive on our day with at .944, so the boat now only has to turn up and go in the right direction to score!

Fun times....I sometimes regret selling her. :)

I spent plenty of time on a BB10M in the early 80's. An IRC rating of .928 is a gift. It rated LYS 1.19 which would equal a IRC rating of about .985 or so. Equal to most 3/4 Tonners of that era. Cool boat and well built.

A good friend of mine just recently purchased the Swede for sale in Beverly MA, Tiana. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/Fisks...A/United-States

She seems to be in pretty stock condition so I pointed him in the direction of this thread for some info and to talk to some owners (Here's lookin at you Slow/Zebra/Klok). Lets hope he drops by so you three can stop your intermittent logo bitching and put your heads together eh :P

A good friend of mine just recently purchased the Swede for sale in Beverly MA, Tiana. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/Fisks...A/United-States

She seems to be in pretty stock condition so I pointed him in the direction of this thread for some info and to talk to some owners (Here's lookin at you Slow/Zebra/Klok). Lets hope he drops by so you three can stop your intermittent logo bitching and put your heads together eh :P

Seems your friend made a good choice, a Swede 55 in "pretty stock Condition" and - yes - apparently with the right logo. Fotos and remarks on the boat welcome.

I saw this thread come back up again and I thought I would an update on what is happened with the purchase. According to the feds my friend embezzled about $250,000 from his mothers business. $90,000 of it was for Tiana. I guess that since she seems to still be for sale and I can't reach him that he is rotting in prison somewhere. Obviously the deal fell through. Unfortunate.

Wes

Hi there,

not all of us are priviledged to have such a mother ... plus the taste to spend a substantial share of her fortunes so well.

:P

Perhaps he is a bit careful due to such serious logo issues raised here previously, simply prepares his toy for the season and makes the best of the current state of the world: getting his toothpick ready, launching it and embark.

Nice easter weekend and

take (care of) 55

Zebra

Removal of Swede 55 deck organizer starboard side

Swede 55 came from Fisksaetra Varv with two five sheave deck organizers, guiding halyards, trimm and reefing ropes from the mast toward the cockpit.

The nuts of that one on port side are easily accessible after having removed the accoarding plywood ceiling panel in the saloon.

The sheaves on starboard side are now getting worn out and I repeatedly tried to remove them. Unfortunately, the starboard deck organizer is mounted on the main bulkhead and is not accessible from below. The screws holding the deck organizer and serving as sheave bolts are either mounted with nuts laminated into that part of the superstructure (something I doubt) or they sit in an aluminum strap, incorporated into the laminate by the yard. This solution is used in other high load areas of the boat, i. e. left and right hand of the companionway (original mounting place of the cleat holding reefing/trimm line and halyards) and - if I remember well - as part of the cockpit coaming/winch base (headsail sheet winch).

If the screws sit in an aluminum strap laminated into the superstructure, they will stay unremovable like being welded in (some decades of electrolysis – stainless steel ./. aluminum).

I tried with an impact wrench device – perhaps a to small hammer or the device being to small or not being used to this kind of work.

My question: Did anyone manage to remove this starboard deckorganizer? How?

For obvious reasons, I would like to use the old holes or drill new one pretty near.

Enclosed a foto of a partly refurbuished Swede 55 with a new deckorganinzer (I assume it is a swedish boat).

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1239369414_thumb.jpg

We are new owners of Carina (nr 21). By the way, the first owner of this boat was Olof Hildebrand, who was the leader of the "consortium" which build the Swede 55 and Carina is the name of his wife. Olof owned the boat from 1978 to 1986. The boat has been in the Med since 1979.

We planned to sail her back to the Baltic (Finland) from Port Grimaud, France with a family crew. We had a boat surveyor who check the boat and so on. The seller told that the standing rig have been changed four years ago. The boat seemed to be in a good condition, ready for sail as they said.

On our way from Spain to Portugal the chain plate of the aft lower shroud to port side broke suddenly without warning out of the deck. We managed to secure the shroud using some rope to the foot rail and took the sails away preventing a loss of the complete rig. The chain plate was broken out of the deck because the two M 10 stainless steel studs were broken, another bolt was totally corrosed as you can see from the pics. At the nearest marina we checked the other chain plates and bolts (after we have tear down the wooden interior). There were lots of corrosion in the other bolts too. And the bolts were not in line with the lower chain plate connections below deck which was causing bending stress. Also the nuts are carrying the entire load on just one flange causing too much stress on the construction with the chance of breaking.

Any way, nothing serious happened and the boat is now safely at the ship yard in Finland. The boat was transported by the truck from Portugal to Finland.

So, questions: Could the chain plate constructions be orginal made by Fisksätra Varv? Have you found similars problems in your own swedes? Is it possible to have pictures of the chain plate constructions in your boats. And finally, any suggestions how reconstruct the chain plates are wellcome.

Cheers,

Tinke

post-35742-1251798504_thumb.jpg

post-35742-1251803233_thumb.jpg

post-35742-1251803244_thumb.jpg

post-35742-1251803253_thumb.jpg

post-35742-1251803263_thumb.jpg

post-35742-1251803274_thumb.jpg

Tinke,

I'm sorry about your issues with your chainplates - that must have been scary & dissapointing, but I'm glad everything was ok in the end. You purchased a great looking Swede! I can take some pictures of my port side internal chainplates in the next few days. I was only able to find starboard images (I think, it was a little hard to tell from the pictures) on my computer here at work. What I see in your pictures generally looks like what I have seen from memory. Is it possible that when they put the teak decks on (assuming not original) they changed the alignment or angle of the bolts? My boat had a completely new rig put in 8 years ago, so they may have updated or modified the chainplates at that time.

Good luck,

Noah

post-2826-1251835277_thumb.jpg

post-2826-1251835290_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Noah

Your chain plates look quite similar to ours. The teak deck was added in 1996/1997 and the seller told us afterwards that the chain plates were not removed in this process and the deck was laid "around" the chain plates. We are just wondering is it possible that Fisksätra Varv have done this not so good chain plate construction, small washers, bended bolts, welding etc. There were no chain plate problems in our previous boat, S30. But we will contact Olof Hildebrand and ask if he might know something...

post-35742-1251967195_thumb.jpg

So, questions: Could the chain plate constructions be orginal made by Fisksätra Varv? Have you found similars problems in your own swedes? Is it possible to have pictures of the chain plate constructions in your boats. And finally, any suggestions how reconstruct the chain plates are wellcome.

Tinke,

congratulations first to your boat.

It is pretty obvious to me that the teak deck was not laid around the chainplate base as the yard/previous owner states. (See right hand picture in the lower row).

Instead of using the original smaller Fisksaetra base (this being the cut out in the wood) a bigger plate was made and srewed onto the teak (the is technically no use for those wooden screws), then the volume below was not properly or not at all sealed. So seawater found its way underneath the chainplate base and onto the original deck and corrosion began. Further, the bolts were not inline (perhaps a kind of "mediterranean" or cheap welding job).

Removing all chainplates and checking for corrosion is recommendable routine on a boat being 3 decades old.

Perhaps the problem occurred, because there was to much strain put on the lower aft shroud. Give the mast a little way to bend forward, because the flexible rig is made for that.

On my boat, I removed one main chainplate last winter (that one for upper und intermediate shrouds) due to a minor leakage and very little rust. I had the whole stainless steel part cleaned and polished.

Solution for your broken chainplate: Have at least this one made new with 2 rods welded in the required and truely fitting angle and mount it carefully with a lot of Sikaflex. It is nice to do it yourself, so there is nobody to blame later ...

Good luck, Zebra

Has anyone seen the swede 55 "Tiana"? Just wondering as it is on yachtworld for sale and looks in good shape. Thanks!

Interesting, Toledosailor.

Boat seems to be in remarkably good shape and without alterations meant as improvements. Could "Tiana", US 14 have been "Tumlare" previously and berthed in Woods Hole?

And does anybody know more about this blue Swede 55 berthed near Vancouver, bearing an obviously german name? Foto enclosed.

Curious Swede 55 sailors greetings

Zebra

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, just saw this....Yes I know quite a bit about that boat. She is hull 34 and that is my son Derek in the foreground. I owned her for about 6 years and sold her in about 2000. She is now in San Francisco area still going strong. She was originally sold to a owner in San Diego new in 1984. I bought her from him in 1994 and trucked her up to the Seattle area where we live. She was berth at our home in Blakely Harbor on Bainbridge Island. Cheers! Kim Bottles

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, just saw this....Yes I know quite a bit about that boat. She is hull 34 and that is my son Derek in the foreground. I owned her for about 6 years and sold her in about 2000. She is now in San Francisco area still going strong. She was originally sold to a owner in San Diego new in 1984. I bought her from him in 1994 and trucked her up to the Seattle area where we live. She was berth at our home in Blakely Harbor on Bainbridge Island. Cheers! Kim Bottles

Hello Kim Bottles.

interesting. Any more pics? Did you have her sprayed in that particular bright blue?

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1254511767_thumb.jpg

Zebra,

Unfortunately I sold her before I got a digital camera so I have no pictures to post. She was the light blue color when I bought her and I never changed it. The fellow who bought her from us repainted in very dark blue and she looked great in her new color.

I haven't seen her for a couple years now, but I am in contact with her current owner and have been invited to go sailing with him next time I am in San Francisco to which I look forward.

I really like long, narrow, light sailboats.

Cheers!

KB

Zebra,

Unfortunately I sold her before I got a digital camera so I have no pictures to post. She was the light blue color when I bought her and I never changed it. The fellow who bought her from us repainted in very dark blue and she looked great in her new color.

I haven't seen her for a couple years now, but I am in contact with her current owner and have been invited to go sailing with him next time I am in San Francisco to which I look forward.

I really like long, narrow, light sailboats.

Cheers!

KB

Hello Kimb,

some more pixels to revive your Swede 55/toothpickboat memories. This shot and previously ones posted here were taken during a meeting of long and narrow boats in the baltic/northern germany summer this year in Lemkenhafen on the island of Fehmarn, close to the border to Denmark.

It was the first get together of more to follow biannually. The 22 sqm boat fleet seems to grow in northern germany with classics aqurired and restored recently. There are aboat five boats in the Kiel area.

It must have been nice to have your Swede 55 moored in sight of your house.

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1254561828_thumb.jpg

Zebra,

Well I have two 30's here right now. I have my 1995 Reimers (Bijou II design) and a friend's 1938 Becker design.

Hopefully I will have another interesting vessel here sometime next year.

Kim

Zebra,

Well I have two 30's here right now. I have my 1995 Reimers (Bijou II design) and a friend's 1938 Becker design.

Hopefully I will have another interesting vessel here sometime next year.

Kim

Hi Kimb,

squaremetre boats as collectors items. Pics please. And why don't you scan your old Swede 55 pics and post them here. Would love to see more and details of the deck as well. What did you do once with your "Nadel", tasteful and stylish cruising, daysailing or even some races?

Enclosed a shot of the pre start phase of a windy race (with a 30 cruising sqm one design called Lotus left hand, Swede 55 and a classy 22 sqm boat right). Wind went up to 7 Beaufort but the race took place in nicely sheltered water.

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1254749059_thumb.jpg

Zebra,

Sadly I don't have any pictures of the Swede to scan other than the one you posted of my son Derek.

We used the Swede for all three: daysailing, coastal cruising and racing.

Kim

post-8115-1254752063_thumb.jpg

Zebra,

Sadly I don't have any pictures of the Swede to scan other than the one you posted of my son Derek.

Kim

The photo of me and Die Nadel is in Reid Harbor on Stuart Island the NW most San Juan Island, about 7nm east of Victoria, BC but in the United States. The photo was taken between Sept. 14 and Sept 20, 1997.

The boat was fairly stock other then a Harken Furler, jammers for the halyards and a power pull main sheet. We did have an external masthead spin halyard that we used with the masthead asymmetric when it was not too windy.

The boat had not been used by the first owner much if at all. When we got the boat the winch handles were still in their plastic wrap, I found a number of brand new unused things when putting the boat together off the truck such as a hot water system.

On this trip there was no anchor windless so I tried to pick up moorings rather then hand haul the anchor up. This is a Washington State Parks Mooring.

Derek

Here are some photos of Die Nadel

Here you can see the power pull main sheet that eliminated the need for a winch. Becca driving.

post-1243-1254883689_thumb.jpg

post-1243-1254883709_thumb.jpg

post-1243-1254883720_thumb.jpg

Kimb(dad) and Mom on the boat.

post-1243-1254883731_thumb.jpg

This is an asymmetric on the pole, I would pole them out to get more projected area when running rather then just leave it on the bow.

post-1243-1254883742_thumb.jpg

Great Pictures added to this thread!

I suppose it's time for an update on my Swede - We had a baby this year, so work on the boat slowed a bit, and I didn't use it as much as I would like, but we had a successful racing season, and had a few good cruises as well.

This spring I did a complete bottom job and repainted with Trinidad SR (black), and burnished it. I also faired much of the hull and removed 3 old seacocks and glassed them over. Rosina also got a new dark blue boot stripe.

We compounded the old tired gelcoat and cleaned and waxed it, and it came out very well - she shines like new again. I purchased a new 155% Genoa which gave us much more speed, and better pointing as well. I also got a reacher Asymmetrical spinnaker. I had the main flattened a bit and a cunningham ring installed. This resulted in much better shape and control of the main.

I replaced the Genoa Clutch with a new Spinlock XX which does a much better job on the halyard.

This season we won overall (by 3 minutes) the first "Lake Race" (point to point around Government marks), and also got a first in A Class and first to finish in our Double Handed race. We did well in a few others, but are still a new program in a challenging boat to sail fast in all conditions.

Here are a few shots of Rosina on the mooring:

post-2826-1255047930_thumb.jpg

post-2826-1255047947_thumb.jpg

post-2826-1255047959_thumb.jpg

Lotus update:

She's shipping to the UK end of October. Being lifted from Baltimore late October, the Rhode Island lift cancelled.

She needs a load of work still, but we can do it far better here. Perhaps a mini Swede regatta in the Baltic next summer?

Zebra,

Kim

The photo of me and Die Nadel is in Reid Harbor on Stuart Island the NW most San Juan Island, about 7nm east of Victoria, BC but in the United States. The photo was taken between Sept. 14 and Sept 20, 1997.

The boat was fairly stock other then a Harken Furler, jammers for the halyards and a power pull main sheet. We did have an external masthead spin halyard that we used with the masthead asymmetric when it was not too windy.

The boat had not been used by the first owner much if at all. When we got the boat the winch handles were still in their plastic wrap, I found a number of brand new unused things when putting the boat together off the truck such as a hot water system.

On this trip there was no anchor windless so I tried to pick up moorings rather then hand haul the anchor up. This is a Washington State Parks Mooring.

Derek

Kimb,

nice view across the jetty and what a prospect to walk towards the water: happy man!

You seem to approach the origins of squaremetre boat sailing. Your 30sqm Bijou type is a Reimers desgn as well. More a kind of allrounder and not so extreme within the sqm boat theme.

"Die Nadel" was built 1984, did I understand this well? More pics please...

Nice sunday.

Zebra

post-24585-1255271924_thumb.jpg

"Die Nadel" was built 1984, did I understand this well? More pics please...

Nice sunday.

Zebra

Yes, Hull 34 Die Nadel was built in 1984 and I understand she was the last of the original 55's built.

She was a sweet boat.

Here's my 30 chasing down a J-100.

KimB

post-8115-1255286762_thumb.jpg

Yes, Hull 34 Die Nadel was built in 1984 and I understand she was the last of the original 55's built.

She was a sweet boat.

Here's my 30 chasing down a J-100.

KimB

post-8115-1255286762_thumb.jpg

Interesting Kimb,

didn't know Swede 55 was still built in 1984. So there must have been at least 7 boats being built by the Fisksaertra Varv successors following no 27, supposedly the last Fisksaetra manufacture, built 1979 and launched 1980.

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1256754722_thumb.jpg

Pretty certain Lotus is a Fisksaertra Varv boat, 1980, hull 31 I think. She should be here in two weeks, loaded yesterday. Pics to follow

I had this shot taken a couple of days ago. It was blowing 17-30 very gusty. I had a reefed main and the #2 jib up - that was a mistake - should have gone with the #3...the winches in the water more than once. I was single handing, and in these shots hadn't tacked and moved the jib leads - there is too much power in the genoa.

Anyway, fun day!

post-2826-1256761559_thumb.jpg

post-2826-1256761570_thumb.jpg

Pretty certain Lotus is a Fisksaertra Varv boat, 1980, hull 31 I think. She should be here in two weeks, loaded yesterday. Pics to follow

The manufacture of Swede 55 was stopped in lfall 1979 due to the withdrawal of Gylling (the holding) as proprietor of Fisksaetra Varv AB in Vaestervik/Sweden. So there can’t be any Fisksaetra manufacture later than outlined. When I took no. 27 (presumably the last Fisksatra construction), delivered in spring 1980 there were very few S30s around and I can’t remember to have seen any Swede 55 then at the yard, whose site was used by a car dealer.

As far as I know, there were three boats being made by a small boatbuilding company in Smaland (further south in Sweden, under the supervision of Rolf Helleman) from the same tools and another one, using the same moulds) by Aqva Bat in Nyköping (supervision naval architect Lars-Olof Norlin). Those four boats were built 1981 – 1983 due to what I learned years ago.

This adds up to 31 Swede 55 being built in total - if the information I got is correct.

Then there is „Vortex“ a coldmoulded replica nicely built by Steve Whit of Brooklin Boatyard and there are two composite boas manufactured from the late 80ties (called swede 75, same boat with stretched appendages, a little more here and there, no inner moulds which saves some weight and sadly - finish - and another one from 98 for a swedish client, aptly named „Swede 52“, more or less same principle, but with a carbon mast.

Perhaps someone has more details, which I would find interesting.

Ravings, you are the guy who planned to sail the boat from the eastern US seaboard to England last year? Why didn't you do it finally? Where in the UK will „Lotus“ be berthed?

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1257266612_thumb.jpg

"This adds up to 31 Swede 55 being built in total - if the information I got is correct."

Best, Zebra

Zebra,

I owed Swede 55 hull number 34 which was documented to having been built in 1982. I understand she was imported by a guy in the Los Angeles area for a customer in San Diego (actually Coronado.). I purchased her from that original owner in about 1995 and trucked her to the Seattle area. Her original name was "Die Nadel". I sold her in about 2001 or 2002. She has since changed hands again and I understand she is in the San Francisco Bay area.

The actual documented hull number was: "Swede55US34" her documentation number was 652090. She still shows up in the coast guard documentation records as such.

She sported the sail number "US-34" with the class emblem "55" on her sail and she was very clearly a Swede 55.

Cheers!

Kim

Well, she's home, despite the force 11 last night. I am having trouble with photos.

It has been a hell of a journey. Saturday, midday, she was on the deck of a lift ship in 62knots of wind, the port of Southampton was shut, it all looked pear shaped. Today, for the lift, the sun shone, the wind was calm, the engine fired the first time, the bilges were dry. Amazing job by Sevenstar. Guess where I will be tomorrow?

Zebra,

As of tonight, Lotus is in Shamrock Quay Southampton.

We didn't do the Atlantic crossing because two of us needed to take time off work to do it, but there was more work needed on her than we could complete in the time window.

She still needs:

A new roof lining

The hydraulics sorting

The instruments re-positioning

New floorboards

New Fridge

We have a few nice to dos:

A Baby Blake toilet

A new water heater

Move the holding tank

Sort out the shore power

I pulled the plug on the trip because I wasn't happy with loose & rotten floorboards, lack of watertight integrity, a whole host of reasons. I pulled the plug, as skipper, as I felt we would be more likely to be a USCG statistic than to make it across.

We now have the time, tools & opportunity to really sort her out. Better in the long term. The decision to to cross the Atlantic was as correct as the decision I made last Thursday not to sail up the channel.

She will move to Chatham for a while, east coast UK. We should do a Baltic meet up sometime next year

A few pictures

Ravings,

perhaps the first „55“ ever to make it across the Atlantic under bare pole just with the Dodger to cope with the strong backstay breeze ...

Congratulations and good luck with finding priorities within an apparently comprehensive job list.

Best, Zebra

PS: Hydraulics aboard a Swede 55. What for? Autopilot?

The less clutter you have a board, the better the ballast/total weight ratio, - this being critical at Swede 55 - the less maintenance, cost and more time to simply enjoy the boat... (I removed the sprayhood, anchor windlass, cleats and other gear to keep the boat simple and the deck clean)

post-24585-1258481733_thumb.jpg

We inherited the hydraulics, I'd rather get rid of them, but its what was left on the boat.

She goes mighty quick under dodger!

We are having a few weeks sailing before we start the next phase, but I have a reasonable workshop set up here. So much easier with your own workshop, even if a few of the USA tools are 110V. She is wintering afloat.

Does anyone know if there is a smaller version of the Swede made? Just seems like a great boat to put a large roach main and masthead kites!

Check out the Cayanne 41, same hull shape, similar rig, tiller boat, but long sloping reverse transom... the 41 rates 87 on Lk Mi. TYhere are a couple on Lk Mi, some on the other side of the state, and I understand there are some out east, on and in Canada...

Fun Boat. I delivered "Temptress" from Kauai to SF after her Pac Cup win. Fast in smooth water, didn't like the big lumps. Delivered her a bit worse for wear after 2200 miles and a large tropical storm. Oil can you say... she shook like a black lab coming out of the water. Not what one would call a dry boat. Would have liked to drive her off the wind in a blow.

Anybody know who it was sold to? See my earlier posts on this thread

she was purchased by an experienced sailor from ri that i just met this week. i am sure that she will be seen out and about that area next season. i emailed him about this thread. out of respect for his privacy i would prefer that he identify himself if he so chooses. tiana is in very good hands.

Does anyone know if there is a smaller version of the Swede made? Just seems like a great boat to put a large roach main and masthead kites!

Check out the Cayanne 41, same hull shape, similar rig, tiller boat, but long sloping reverse transom... the 41 rates 87 on Lk Mi. TYhere are a couple on Lk Mi, some on the other side of the state, and I understand there are some out east, on and in Canada...

Borresen BB 10 Meter

http://sailboatdata.com/VIEWRECORD.ASP?CLASS_ID=514

Temptress won the Pac cup I don't remember when (maybe the late 80's). Nice boat. Did very well in the Danforth series as well. The front end would oil can upwind in the breeze, so ring frames and hat sections were installed, after that it was bullet proof.

TEMPTRESS WON IN 1982. I BELIEVE KAME SAILED ON THE BOAT.

We think this is Lotus, taken this year

Swede

She is arriving here Friday

Hello Boys,

being a good german, I continued the annual routine with dismounting the portside chainplate and suspensions attached to the main bulkhead. Celebrating soon 3 decades in service, they shall get back in place nicely polished next spring. The starboard side was done last winter.

The reason for minor corrosion it the way the rods are welded to the stainless steel plate sitting on the deck. There are small gaps which apparently were not filled with sealer, so a little corrosion may happen there. Easy to remove in a acid bath at a mechaical shop. Careful mounting with a sufficient amount of Sika should make the installation last for another 30 years of up- and downhill sailing.

And it was managed to get that starboard deckorganizer off the cabinroof. By the way, it is mounted with 5/16“ UNC screws. Any suggestions for a nice looking replacement from the fraternity here?

I sincerely hope you 55-aficionados stick to your homework priorities this winter, no matter what your girlfriend, fiancee or wife may think or even say

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1258722369_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your boat. There's on here on West River that is sailed rather a lot. I never see them racing but they do get a lot of use out of the boat.

it is beautiful under sail.

Discovered the drawbacks of a lift. Delivery skipper left no diesel in, and almost every lightbulb has gone. LEDs I think from now on.

We might be moving to a mooring tomorrow, keeps the cost down. I thought I had a few replacements, but no, Aqua Signal nav lights

Thanks Zebra, I suspect that will be another job on the list. I really don't like the chainplate attachment. I will be grinding thick washers this winter

Borresen BB 10 Meter

http://sailboatdata.com/VIEWRECORD.ASP?CLASS_ID=514

At the risk of being repetitive

post-1762-1258786453_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1258785844_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1258785896_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1258785918_thumb.jpg

Alas, she is no longer my BBaby, but she is being loved and spoiled by her new owner so I can't be too unhappy! :rolleyes:

post-1762-1258785793_thumb.jpg

There must be some equal brainwave going on.

Wrote the original post 3 years ago, looking for like a swede 41 or something. Now have a Cayenne 41 and a new set of sails on order.

Can't wait for the high wind on the stern run!

Hello,

yes, the Cayenne is a nice boat - though her ambience (kind of modern 6 mR stern shape) is a step further away from the scandinavian look of the square metre boats (I like so much). We have a few Cayennes here in the Baltic. It never happend that we could race against each other. Ratio sail area - weight might make her interesting and tough for Swede 55.

Regarding smaller sisters of Swede 55: there is the S30 (12,50 x 2,70 - sadly with a somewhat prominent superstructure, built about 300 times in the seventies, first with a deckhouse with rounded corners, finally slightly blown up with a boxy shape, giving more headroom in the saloon - a compromize of the late 70ties).

And there is the S40 (14,40 m x 2,70 - the cruising version of the 40 sqm boat). A late Knud Reimers design. Has a lot of resemblence to Swede 55 - a charming boat. About ten were built - one of them even tried the Fastnet Race (with a taller rig and some crazy Bavarians). I should dig for the brochure and fotos some day.

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1258889537_thumb.jpg

Thanks Zebra, I suspect that will be another job on the list. I really don't like the chainplate attachment. I will be grinding thick washers this winter

Ravings,

it lasted 3 decades without mayor leakes, so I see not reason to alter, just cleaning, checking for damages or little cracks, electropolishing and back in place with a little more Sikaflex - job done I would think. The pulling force its taken from the main bulkhead.

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1258890383_thumb.jpg

Zebra, how did you check for crevice corrosion in the SS? I have a feeling I will pull the plates over the winter just to see how they look.

"Crevice corrosion occurs in stainless steel and other metals when the metal is covered, but immersed in a corrosive liquid such as seawater. Normally, stainless steel forms a protective oxide coating that protects it. In a small wet crevice, however, the oxygen becomes depleted and cannot restore this coating. As the affected area grows, chlorine ions (from the salt in the water), migrate into the crevice and build up a concentration. The chlorine ions make the solution acidic and corrosive, attacking the protective coating and the metal underneath."

For some real science on the subject:

http://www.hghouston.com/n032298.html

Fun Boat. I delivered "Temptress" from Kauai to SF after her Pac Cup win. Fast in smooth water, didn't like the big lumps. Delivered her a bit worse for wear after 2200 miles and a large tropical storm. Oil can you say... she shook like a black lab coming out of the water. Not what one would call a dry boat. Would have liked to drive her off the wind in a blow.

Hello Jsailor,

interesting. How long did it take you to bring here back to California? Any fotos from that trip?

You did it on behalf of Jom Walton?

As far as I know, Temptress was lost in a gale with a singlehanded sailor (David Poole) in the northern pacific/Alaska (just the new icebox cover, which was made new, was found later which helped to identify the boat which was then named "Bird"). That happend in fall 98. There was an article in a magazine called Latitude, perhaps one of you in the US can trace the report. I tried but never managed.

Best, Zebra

post-24585-1259239484_thumb.jpg

We are sails up, reefing lines rigged, and going for a shred tomorrow. Might be a bit hairy, 25+ is the prediction. We've dumped the hydraulics, have a neat backsty solution, but it ruins the sunbathing afterdeck.

Like we'll be sunbathing

In Southampton

In November

The decorative galley fitting isn't even coming out

We are sails up, reefing lines rigged, and going for a shred tomorrow. Might be a bit hairy, 25+ is the prediction. We've dumped the hydraulics, have a neat backsty solution, but it ruins the sunbathing afterdeck.

Like we'll be sunbathing

In Southampton

In November

The decorative galley fitting isn't even coming out

pics please, otherwise I would guess you went to a Kentukhy fried chicken instead, or to a soft and cozy italian restaurant - yes, in southampton - with or without hydraulics ...

post-24585-1259765650_thumb.jpg

Well, had Lotus out for a weekend. All seems to be going well. Finally finished the complete re-wire mk.1. Am working on an AutoCAD GA of plan & silhouette for a nav light panel & safety plan.

When the wind actually blew, the sultry Swede certainly picked up her skirts!

Well, had Lotus out for a weekend. All seems to be going well. Finally finished the complete re-wire mk.1. Am working on an AutoCAD GA of plan & silhouette for a nav light panel & safety plan.

When the wind actually blew, the sultry Swede certainly picked up her skirts!

nice

Zebrapost-24585-127662586677_thumb.jpg

I need to post some pics of Rosina this year. A new Cabin sole was the biggest achievement, though the whole boat looks pretty good. I'm headed out the door for another Wed night beer can race - Right now it's 20-25 and raining (just like last week). Hopefully we can find a better groove. Last week we were slow at times, and I hope I can fix that. These boats can be challenging (to stay fast) upwind over 15 or so. I was amazed at how much difference having 7 crew on the rail made - 5 degrees and 1 knot upwind.

Here are some pictures of us racing in a benefit regatta last Saturday. The second two pictures were taken when we were on a tight reach, hence the funky foot of the genoa (it was hitting the lifelines).

post-2826-128016921519_thumb.jpg

post-2826-12801694935_thumb.jpg

post-2826-128016949502_thumb.jpg