Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tate

J124 a Boat picking Up Speed or not

The 40 foot class of 2006 2007 is something of an odd breed. You have the heavier 15000 to 22000 pound cruiser racers for 250k and Up.

Then of course you can buy a Swan 42 or a Farr 42 racer cruiser for just under a million bucks, but what if you want to sleep on the boat and go fast? What is out there.

The J124, about one year out of the blaocs offers a unique experience for the mid range buyer that wants to go long distance racing and have a good nights sleep.

It has the largest cockpit of any boat I havve raced on recently. The strings are minimized, but performance is always available. The boat allows for a bow tacked spin or a pole for max down wind performance.

THe hull design is narrow and fast. yet the boat is stable. it comes with a carbon stick and all the deck hardware necessary for a kickin ride or a lazy afternoon. When the race is over you can snoze in one of four bunks, and if you are lucky enough to have a bow girl to go around the outside with the Vee birth is the place to be.

So I ask you, why do you have to buy a 700k Swan 42, to go grqand prix sailing, when you can do it in a J124 for half the price!

COmments?

learn to search, this is another topic that has been beaten to death around here

IMO, they made a big mistake by not putting on a sprit. Some people want 40 footers without the excess kit (with associated weight and expense) of something like a J122.

or you could buy an Classe 40 for less than the J and beat the swan with it but that might be too fast of a boat for an average J boat owner (and too dangerous for those sharing the race course).

s.

What is a Classe 40, never heard of it?

POPCORN!!!

(k, tate... i'll help ya out.... i'll take 'boats with more than one hull', alex)

/c

(ps yes i know the class 40 is a mono....)

(pps.... can you really get into one for less than that, s??? seems fierce cheap...)

less than $350K is fierce cheap? dude, who are you fucking for money?

http://www.express40.com/ExprCosts.htm

s.

not cheap for me, dumbass!!! :lol::lol:

apples to applesauce though.... compared to what other 40footers can go for.... still seems cheap for the 'horsepower' of the boat, thassall...

/c

or there is a certain sponsor of the sport boat thread...

/c

The 40 foot class of 2006 2007 is something of an odd breed. You have the heavier 15000 to 22000 pound cruiser racers for 250k and Up.

Then of course you can buy a Swan 42 or a Farr 42 racer cruiser for just under a million bucks, but what if you want to sleep on the boat and go fast? What is out there.

The J124, about one year out of the blaocs offers a unique experience for the mid range buyer that wants to go long distance racing and have a good nights sleep.

It has the largest cockpit of any boat I havve raced on recently. The strings are minimized, but performance is always available. The boat allows for a bow tacked spin or a pole for max down wind performance.

THe hull design is narrow and fast. yet the boat is stable. it comes with a carbon stick and all the deck hardware necessary for a kickin ride or a lazy afternoon. When the race is over you can snoze in one of four bunks, and if you are lucky enough to have a bow girl to go around the outside with the Vee birth is the place to be.

So I ask you, why do you have to buy a 700k Swan 42, to go grqand prix sailing, when you can do it in a J124 for half the price!

COmments?

I hear the J124's sink faster then the J24's is that true? Buy an add for your overpriced piece of $hit.

The 40 foot class of 2006 2007 is something of an odd breed. You have the heavier 15000 to 22000 pound cruiser racers for 250k and Up.Then of course you can buy a Swan 42 or a Farr 42 racer cruiser for just under a million bucks, but what if you want to sleep on the boat and go fast? What is out there. The J124, about one year out of the blaocs offers a unique experience for the mid range buyer that wants to go long distance racing and have a good nights sleep. It has the largest cockpit of any boat I havve raced on recently. The strings are minimized, but performance is always available. The boat allows for a bow tacked spin or a pole for max down wind performance. THe hull design is narrow and fast. yet the boat is stable. it comes with a carbon stick and all the deck hardware necessary for a kickin ride or a lazy afternoon. When the race is over you can snoze in one of four bunks, and if you are lucky enough to have a bow girl to go around the outside with the Vee birth is the place to be. So I ask you, why do you have to buy a 700k Swan 42, to go grqand prix sailing, when you can do it in a J124 for half the price!

COmments?

The J120 kicks that boats ass upwind and down wind. I've heard it has a dinky unstable rudder. There are no check stays and the mast pumps and shakes the head sail in a lumpy sea. No bow sprit? Gotta get yourself a spinnaker pole. Might as well go symetrical.

It is narrower and has less form stability than a J120 and then it has 1000Lb less lead in the keel with the same draft. I wonder if it would be legal to do ocean races. Limit of positive stability? I've held a full size spinnaker with the J120 in 40knots of wind while doing 22 knots of boats speed down waves. Done that two different races and never got the bow stuck into the next wave. I wonder if the J124 would do that?

Why do the Johnstones need to change everything constantly.

Cause they can!!!!

The J120 kicks that boats ass upwind and down wind. I've heard it has a dinky unstable rudder. There are no check stays and the mast pumps and shakes the head sail in a lumpy sea. No bow sprit? Gotta get yourself a spinnaker pole. Might as well go symetrical.

It is narrower and has less form stability than a J120 and then it has 1000Lb less lead in the keel with the same draft. I wonder if it would be legal to do ocean races. Limit of positive stability? I've held a full size spinnaker with the J120 in 40knots of wind while doing 22 knots of boats speed down waves. Done that two different races and never got the bow stuck into the next wave. I wonder if the J124 would do that?

Didn't we just go through this on the J122 thread?

The 124 isn't supposed to replace the 120.

As far as changing constantly goes...., they built >200 J120's over a period of ~13 years. That's pretty good for a 40fter.

New rules call for new boats - the 120 struggles to compete under IRC, and the 122 is a natural evolution of the design.

Didn't we just go through this on the J122 thread?

New rules call for new boats - the 120 struggles to compete under IRC, and the 122 is a natural evolution of the design.

Didn't we just go through this on the IRC trhead? IRC sucks an is a dead end. The 122 is not an evolution but a backwards step.

COmments?

This is one of the most shameless ads I have ever read. What brokerage you working for? One good reason to buy the other boats is you dont have to hang out with tools like you!

Didn't we just go through this on the IRC trhead? IRC sucks an is a dead end. The 122 is not an evolution but a backwards step.

I race one-design, and have no particular love for IRC - your opinion may well be correct.

my point was to disagree with your assertion that Jboats didn't keep the 120 around long enough. The fact is that no body was buying them anymore, maybe in part because of the IRC issue.

They like making money :D

:blink: Sounds like somebody can't sail their boat to the rating....IRC is most likely the best at this moment. It promotes safe, stable, and fast boats. Oh, I'm sorry, I liked the tippy, ugly, plywood keeled IMS boats....gimme a break.

Also with the displacement difference (1k lighter or so), weren't they able to do that because of less sail area? I'm not necessarily a fan of the boat, but it will be good for that overpriced well built 40'er range tht JBoats seem to fit into. BTW, the guy who started this thread is an owner, not a broker, of these things. I don't see this as an ad, instead as a question about his investment.

:blink: Sounds like somebody can't sail their boat to the rating....IRC is most likely the best at this moment. It promotes safe, stable, and fast boats. Oh, I'm sorry, I liked the tippy, ugly, plywood keeled IMS boats....gimme a break.

Also with the displacement difference (1k lighter or so), weren't they able to do that because of less sail area? I'm not necessarily a fan of the boat, but it will be good for that overpriced well built 40'er range tht JBoats seem to fit into. BTW, the guy who started this thread is an owner, not a broker, of these things. I don't see this as an ad, instead as a question about his investment.

Just because boats that do well under IRC are "safe stable and fast", doesn't neccessarily mean that some boats that don't do well, aren't also safe, stable, and fast.

The J-120 may be just such a boat.

IRC favors a particular type of safe, stable, and fast boat, and penalizes other types of safe, stable and fast boats.

Also with the displacement difference (1k lighter or so), weren't they able to do that because of less sail area? I'm not necessarily a fan of the boat, but it will be good for that overpriced well built 40'er range tht JBoats seem to fit into.

The displacement difference in the 124 is due almost entirely to less weight in it's keel. The draft of the two boats are the same and the J120 has greater form stability owing to its greater beam. This should mean that the J124 is far more tender than the J120. Does IRC reward that with a favorable handicap?

Also the J124 has no check stays and in rough water the mast pumps so the forstay shakes and makes it harder to drive to the jib. How is that progress???????????????????????

I believe that the sail area is the same for the two boats.

:blink:Sounds like somebody can't sail their boat to the rating....IRC is most likely the best at this moment. It promotes safe, stable, and fast boats. Oh, I'm sorry, I liked the tippy, ugly, plywood keeled IMS boats....gimme a break.

I didn't read anything on this thread that would lead to those comments. Are you a fiction writer by day?

The displacement difference in the 124 is due almost entirely to less weight in it's keel. The draft of the two boats are the same and the J120 has greater form stability owing to its greater beam. This should mean that the J124 is far more tender than the J120. Does IRC reward that with a favorable handicap?

The 122 keel supposedly has a significantly lower center of gravity than the 120 keel.

Also the J124 has no check stays and in rough water the mast pumps so the forstay shakes and makes it harder to drive to the jib. How is that progress???????????????????????

and you know this how...?

I believe that the sail area is the same for the two boats.

it may be, but the 122 has a mast that is ~4ft taller.

The 122 keel supposedly has a significantly lower center of gravity than the 120 keel.

and you know this how...?

So the J124 keel is 1000lbs lighter and has the same draft as the J120. How then does it have a "significantly" lower center of gravity. Does the keel look like the keel on a 1D35? The important issue is the righting moment. Even if it has a lower center of gravity it may have less righting moment do to the 1000LBs less lead.

I know about the mast pumping because I talked with the owner of a J124. In the race this last weekend a J120 finished 37 minutes ahead of his J124 (elapsed time not corrected) in a heavy air 67 mile race. He also thought that the rudder didn't have enough bite.

The guy just got the boat so he has some learning to do. However he is an experienced J105 owner and for a new boat the early results on the race course are not impressive. I think he has some rig tuning issues to iron out.

http://oiyc.org/race_book/RoundTheCounty/RTC2006SCORING.pdf

Time Bandit and Attitude are J120s and Tinette is the J124.

I didn't read anything on this thread that would lead to those comments. Are you a fiction writer by day?

Only sometimes, but not a very good one....Not being able to sail a boat to a rating is usually the reason complain about a certain rating system. That's why I said it. I have no beef with the J120 nor the new boats, just don't see a reason to bitch about a rating system that hasn't been proven here in the states and is actually fairly well liked overseas.

Only sometimes, but not a very good one....Not being able to sail a boat to a rating is usually the reason complain about a certain rating system. That's why I said it. I have no beef with the J120 nor the new boats, just don't see a reason to bitch about a rating system that hasn't been proven here in the states and is actually fairly well liked overseas.

I didn't read anything about someone not being able to sail a boat to a rating. Besides, if it was as simple as that, there would never be any controversy over handicapping systems would there? I think we can bitch about a system that "hasn't been proven" because history has shown that as these different measurement systems come and go they make designers do dumb things with their products. Exactly as this thread is pointing out.

New 40 foot J boat with carbon stick and sprit, removable transom box, aka new and improved 120, coming out early next year and being built in France right now.

WTF is a J-122?

It's a new non-planing shitbox from J-boats. This one will be sported, first, in Europe and then brought stateside by spring.

$450k or so, ramped up - but, it's supposed to be a racier version of the J109, with some additional speed goodies (carbon mast, blah, blah).

I'm actually excited to see the thing.

DG

Sounds like cars/women - in Europeans they're light, not weighed down by too many accessories, fast on their feet and built for speed. In the US they're heavy, beamy, laden with unnecessary extras, well padded, and expensive.

Silliness aside, why can't J-boats make a fucking backstay adjuster that is accessible by someone who needs to use it? Do carmakers put the gear selector in the back seat?

I'm actually excited to see the stupid thing too. My 105 is getting a little small after 7 years.

I will post story and pics once we do the shakedown here in the states.

I'm actually excited to see the stupid thing too. My 105 is getting a little small after 7 years.

Is your 105 that old ?Boy time goes by fast!

How is the baby Clubber?

Baby's fine, almost as fat as me now. Just enjoyin life in the suburbs, a little different after 15 years in the city.

That is great.Say hello to the lady of the house and DO once in a while join us for a race

DC

Thanks, you too. I did see Jim and Sarah at an art show last week, got my twenty minutes of sail gibberish that was much needed. See you at strictly sail. P.S. I did do the Nood, Bayview and Chi-Mac, plus a boatload of Wed. beercans out of Columbia. Just can't shake the addiction.

You two ladies ever think about splitting the cost of a room?

Think about who would be 'diesel', and who would be 'lipstick' in that salami sandwich and then have at it.

DG

You two ladies ever think about splitting the cost of a room?

Think about who would be 'diesel', and who would be 'lipstick' in that salami sandwich and then have at it.

DG

You into fitness?

Thanks, you too. I did see Jim and Sarah at an art show last week, got my twenty minutes of sail gibberish that was much needed. See you at strictly sail. P.S. I did do the Nood, Bayview and Chi-Mac, plus a boatload of Wed. beercans out of Columbia. Just can't shake the addiction.

Did I just say I was at an art show? Seriously, it wasn't me. I was just kidding.

learn to search, this is another topic that has been beaten to death around here

Unfortunately the board will not let you search on short words like "J124". How do you suggest we search for this subject?

Unfortunately the board will not let you search on short words like "J124". How do you suggest we search for this subject?

I would "suggest" you click on the link on the menu bar labeled "Search", enter "j124" in the seach box, highlight "--Sailing Anarchy" in the Search Where field and click the button that is labeled "perform the search". You will get 25 hits.

Silliness aside, why can't J-boats make a fucking backstay adjuster that is accessible by someone who needs to use it? Do carmakers put the gear selector in the back seat?

The J/100, J/122, J/145, J/160 and J/65 all have remote hydraulic panels for the backstay cylinder

I would "suggest" you click on the link on the menu bar labeled "Search", enter "j124" in the seach box, highlight "--Sailing Anarchy" in the Search Where field and click the button that is labeled "perform the search". You will get 25 hits.
You are right Dumpster Breath. We used to get errors on that type of search on this board saying that the "search string is too short." I gave up trying that a long time ago and didn't realize that it had been changed/fixed. Thank you :rolleyes:

The J/100, J/122, J/145, J/160 and J/65 all have remote hydraulic panels for the backstay cylinder

Not THIS picture of the wheel of the J124 right from the J-site. There it is, that silly handle right there: http://www.jboats.com/j124/j124gallery.htm

109s also suck and 105s, well, I once sailed on a pre-scrimp boats with the basin and nav station aft. It also had a front-of the cockpit flush mounted backstay adjuster. Sweeeet. They're not "supposed" to use it during OD racing.

Not THIS picture of the wheel of the J124 right from the J-site. There it is, that silly handle right there: http://www.jboats.com/j124/j124gallery.htm

109s also suck and 105s, well, I once sailed on a pre-scrimp boats with the basin and nav station aft. It also had a front-of the cockpit flush mounted backstay adjuster. Sweeeet. They're not "supposed" to use it during OD racing.

No one said the 124 did not have one... Read carefully the post "The J/100, J/122, J/145, J/160 and J/65 all have remote hydraulic panels for the backstay cylinder