Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

Pete, what are you going on?

sitting this one out

and it's not looking better in santa monica bay - maybe the breeze will come up earlier for the first third of the race.

get there fast or go home (or to bed)

INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA

CATALINA AND SANTA BARBARA ISLANDS-

230 AM PDT WED AUG 1 2007

.FRI...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING SW 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND

WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. MIXED SWELL W 2 FT AND S 3 FT. PATCHY FOG IN

THE MORNING.

.FRI NIGHT...W WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT

OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. MIXED SWELL W 2 TO 3 FT AND S

3 FT. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SAT THROUGH SUN...W WIND 10 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING

HOURS...OTHERWISE WIND LIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. MIXED SWELL W 2

TO 3 FT AND S 3 FT.

Jumpin' Jill,

Damn it, Damn it, etc. We lost the race tonight by 13 seconds to Taxi. If only YOU were jumpin' at the mast we would have been 14 seconds faster. shit, damn etc. We missed you!

getting worse - santa monica bay - NWS

FRI...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. MIXED SWELL W 2 FT AND S 3 FT. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING. .FRI NIGHT...W WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. MIXED SWELL W 2 TO 3 FT AND S 3 FT. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. .SAT...WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING SW 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. MIXED SWELL W 2 FT AND S 3 FT. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING.

get ready for an eighties IOR race

Awwww! I had no idea!! Damn, shit, etc!

But how nice to be missed!!!

:wub:

wait, just one more and I think I'll hit Anarchist status.....?

yes!

Edited by railchick

Gulp. SB - KH is looking bleak. Bummer.

Jane, we taxed you tonight on Taxi!

Edited by Madmax

Had a lovely chat with Tom Leweck this afternoon at SBYC. He says that the guru of predictions and weather..aka a person paid to to this for certain boats..predicts wind for most of the race, bad news is that the last 10 miles may take 5 hours. Ouch. Good luck to the SBYC racers. Thanks to John and Cris on Victoria, my bad boy friends of many years who got me really toasted tonight. glad i made it home. yikes. We waited at Brophy's for an hour for dinner and ended up just drinking. hope you made it back to the yacht.

Edited by Janer

rut roh

santa monica basin bouy 6:50 PDT

Wind Direction (WDIR): WSW ( 250 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD): 7.8 kts

and droping

who's dropped out? - Max - you home yet?

Max..

Don't drop out yet. I know the Hobie 33 Capt. Sluggo has nothing but 2 twelve packs and some twinkies. They will fall asleep doing donuts in Santa Monica bay.

post-1224-1186195085_thumb.jpg

Taxi Dancer seemed to be reaching toward Ventucky which might be a good place to dock and have dinner.

So back to the Start report...

The morning fog was burning off, but the fire in Santa Ynez was showering all the boats with ashes so the sky looked like you were in LA..brown. It was glassy when we first took out the RC boat Victoria but by starting time there was a light westerly blowing. Not good conditions for any great photos. A photo helicopter hovered for a while and then headed towards Anacapa probably hoping for better shots. We had two starting lines, one on either side of Victoria so two classes started at the same time..total of 10 classes, 104 boats.

No great antics at the start..the lines were pretty long. One boat load of yellow shirted dudes decided to hoist their jib right on the line but had confused the tack with the clew which really threw them into a tizzey trying to figure out why their jib looked like a taco. Really funny stuff. As far as the more well tuned crews..I had not seen the latest OEX which looked beautiful and they had the coffee grinders going at it for a half hour before the start..why not,? those were the only tacks they were going to do for the day (night)! A gaggle of Farr 40's as well as J/105's and all the other usual PHRFers. The multihulls were moving right off the line, and Afterburner was burning rubber and rocketing in the light air. All had clean starts until we got to the final starters (yachts with furniture) and believe it or not 2 of them were overearly. One of which was flying a man overboard flag. Hmmm, a premonition or just thinking ahead?

Thanks to all who worked on this under the guidance of Dave Baxter, Race Chair. Special thanks to my pals Cris and Frish on Victoria and wonderful Mike Cambell who once again offered his yacht for this event ( he is in Europe having cancer treatments). After everyone was off we celebrated with some Mumm's champagne which Frish had cooled in the freezer. (a little too long as the half frozen bubbly mostly ended up on the overhead, floor and in his ear in slushy form)

Anyone who hears reports..please post. Even though we love the King Harbor YC, they tend to take days to give the final results.

Edited by Janer

Thanks for the report Jane! Boy my warm dry bed sure felt good last night, how bout you? Maybe it was just knowing so many were out bobbing around in the......smoke? Hope everyone had a good race, can't wait for results. Go Team Thump! and Max! and Taxi! did they have dinner in the harbor as they like to brag on?

In other news....Help! Since my favorite local wind forecaster is out of town what I'm wanting to know if any of you wind experts can predict whether this nasty smoke and ash is going to shift elsewhere any time soon! My plans for an afternoon trip up Tunnel Rd are not sounding quite so appealing and this whole apocolypse look is GETTING to me!!!

tell me it's going away!

:unsure:

Thanks for the report Jane! Boy my warm dry bed sure felt good last night, how bout you? Maybe it was just knowing so many were out bobbing around in the......smoke? Hope everyone had a good race, can't wait for results. Go Team Thump! and Max! and Taxi! did they have dinner in the harbor as they like to brag on?

In other news....Help! Since my favorite local wind forecaster is out of town what I'm wanting to know if any of you wind experts can predict whether this nasty smoke and ash is going to shift elsewhere any time soon! My plans for an afternoon trip up Tunnel Rd are not sounding quite so appealing and this whole apocolypse look is GETTING to me!!!

tell me it's going away!

:unsure:

Can someone direct us to the results page and updates?

Pretty classic SB2KH race. Low to the island was the best strategy and the back side of Anacapa was the usual complete crapshoot with a restart of the second race (boats brough up puffs from behind). From our perspective, it looked like the best move was reaching across the 285-300 wind of the late afternoon for the lift entering SM Bay and jibing off Point Dume in 250's. The wind shifted after 10pm to a mostly NNW direction that at least had had the advantage of being warm. Had some nice 16-17 knot conditions for almost an hour with the masthead kites heading in to Malibu that almost made the drift worth it. We assume the South side of the bay wasn't so good as Alchemy came in abeam of us (F40) from that side. Boats will no doubt correct out in order of finsh or close as the wind pretty much shut off but for the occasional puff after 11:30pm. We were off the the Charthouse before midnight and thank god for the incoming tide. drifted across the finish line almost an hour and a half later with 000 showing for the almost all of the last hour.

Saw Max leaving the harbor as we finshed (1:24ish) and committee said we were 12th boat to finish so I'll bet they did very well.

5150 had the ULDB-B class lead but jibed early into the south side of the bay. We don't know if they had finished ahead of us as we turned and burned for MdR and didn't see who was at the dock. Before the wind started dying, White Knight appeared to have class second in hand with some sound strategic decisions, but we got by them and wiggled enough better in the fluky conditions that we may have saved time.

Other boats that looked to be drifting in on a last puff and doing very well were Pendragon (huge gainer closest to shore flying up from behind approaching the breakwater) and notably we saw an FT10 that had to be doing very well alongside Blade (Melges 30) having made the turn of the bell buoy at about 1:30.

Can't we convince the powers that be that this would be a better race if we skipped Anacapa and turned left at the oil islands instead? Everyone would have more fun getting in earlier and being able to have drinks at the bar. Anacapa is surely no big test of skill and surely the time at the bar would be better than those last few hours drifting in to the finish! Tradition alone isn't a good enough reason not to change this so it could be a lot more fun!

Edited by DCV

Can't we convince the powers that be that this would be a better race if we skipped Anacapa and turned left at the oil islands instead? Everyone would have more fun getting in earlier and being able to have drinks at the bar. Anacapa is surely no big test of skill and surely the time at the bar would be better than those last few hours drifting in to the finish! Tradition alone isn't a good enough reason not to change this so it could be a lot more fun!

No question that it would be more fun for the faster boats that could get in before the wind dies. I suspect the problem is that such a course would likely end up with boats running down, rather than across, the shipping lanes. If you set up the race to be inshore of Anacapa, you might want SI's the force boats to stay on the north side of the lanes, but that has it's own disadvantages.

LOL on skipping the island lottery in the future!

Just woke up, got up and checked this out. On 5150 we played the shifts in to the beach from about 8 miles offshore of El Segundo to Redondo. We got in and saw Taxi at the dock, and the J145 on our stern with a gaggle of ORCA's and drifters in the dying breeze behind us.

Thanks to SBYC and KHYC for the race management and hospitality. We even got some help folding headsails at the dock, thanks again!

Looking forward to seeing the final results; more than a few boats were just motoring on by, it felt like an Ensenada race.

Pretty classic SB2KH race. Low to the island was the best strategy and the back side of Anacapa was the usual complete crapshoot with a restart of the second race (boats brough up puffs from behind). From our perspective, it looked like the best move was reaching across the 285-300 wind of the late afternoon for the lift entering SM Bay and jibing off Point Dume in 250's. The wind shifted after 10pm to a mostly NNW direction that at least had had the advantage of being warm. Had some nice 16-17 knot conditions for almost an hour with the masthead kites heading in to Malibu that almost made the drift worth it. We assume the South side of the bay wasn't so good as Alchemy came in abeam of us (F40) from that side. Boats will no doubt correct out in order of finsh or close as the wind pretty much shut off but for the occasional puff after 11:30pm. We were off the the Charthouse before midnight and thank god for the incoming tide. drifted across the finish line almost an hour and a half later with 000 showing for the almost all of the last hour.

Saw Max leaving the harbor as we finshed (1:24ish) and committee said we were 12th boat to finish so I'll bet they did very well.

5150 had the ULDB-B class lead but jibed early into the south side of the bay. We don't know if they had finished ahead of us as we turned and burned for MdR and didn't see who was at the dock. Before the wind started dying, White Knight appeared to have class second in hand with some sound strategic decisions, but we got by them and wiggled enough better in the fluky conditions that we may have saved time.

Other boats that looked to be drifting in on a last puff and doing very well were Pendragon (huge gainer closest to shore flying up from behind approaching the breakwater) and notably we saw an FT10 that had to be doing very well alongside Blade (Melges 30) having made the turn of the bell buoy at about 1:30.

No question that it would be more fun for the faster boats that could get in before the wind dies. I suspect the problem is that such a course would likely end up with boats running down, rather than across, the shipping lanes. If you set up the race to be inshore of Anacapa, you might want SI's the force boats to stay on the north side of the lanes, but that has it's own disadvantages.

Tell that to H A N J I N that sounded 5 horns over and over yesterday coming Southbound!

True enough, but easy to fix with a limiting mark.

There's a reason they call it Windy Lane and a shame we don't get to sail right down it!

thump report:

(first boat to finish: after burner, first overall, taxi. :rolleyes:)

SB2KH was good fun on the Melges 24! I can't explain what a great ride it is downhill and traveling home at 70mph can't be beat!

Thumper had a great start in the Sprit B class, of course it's hard to have a bad start with the "guest" talent that was on the boat, Ted just back from his TP_07 adventure on the 1D35, LBRW first place Farr 40 tactician J.A.G., and ex-J24 rockstar and new M24 convert Melonhead!

Breeze was decent 8-10kts as we set up low to the west end of Anacapa splitting the middle between the dueling H33's and hitting the waypoint around 3:30p. Most of the fleet went high anticipating a building breeze, but it didn't pay the dividends they were looking for.

On the backside we played it close to the beach and made more gains. While I understand DCV's comment about not going around the island, it really is a great experience to be on the back side of Anacapa. I don't think the race would have the same soul rounding an oil platform...

We went full throttle to the coast and hit it just above Leo Carrillo. With the kite boarders out, we were in back of the boat with semi-planing conditions, would've loved just a couple more knots of breeze, but the waves were our friend and the surfing was great!

Things were looking good for a "before-midnight" arrival, the call was made to the road crew, aka Mrs. thump, to load-em-on-up and head-em-on-out to KH, we weren't motoring home! Surfing conditions continued until around 8p.

When it shut off at 10:30 we ended up sailing in circles with occasional puffs tempting us closer to that rum and coke we were all dying for (dry boat..., bad idea). There was also a serious wager with Tom from Taxi that we wouldn't make it in by 4a... which I was beginning to worry I'd have to pay up! Luckily, we finally rolled in around 2:30am, about 15 minutes behind Max (good job Max, Tim and Jack!).

Road crew had arrived safely, but as a side note, don't let your wife hang out on Taxi for five hours waiting your arrival. I can only think they ran out of the normal rum and started pouring 151 for the last hour...

As for how we finished, I believe it was a third for the Sprit B class and a big thanks to the SBKH RC and volunteers, can't wait to do it again!

Island Backside:

post-15064-1186280752_thumb.jpg

post-15064-1186281581_thumb.jpg

Surfing at Point Dume:

post-15064-1186280806_thumb.jpg

thump

Edited by thump

...did Pacific High make it out?

Anyone know how they did?

Pokey, we hope to hear your report, too (newbie race for you) ~

(edit: nope ~ Pac High not out this year :) )

Edited by bellasailbabe

Great job on the SB2KH race, Dave Baxter! KH staff was great and the trophies were cool, too. I'm hoping the 3rd place trophy that Thumper will get will be the metal candy dish that looks like a flip-flop. :P

Congrats to MadMax/Tim/Jack as the winners of their class--rock stars!!

Taxi did have their annual lasagna dinner on the boat and then the party started before they hopped back in the boat to take it home last night--curious to know how much $$ Peder made getting paid to do people's watches all night. One question though, who slipped the mickey in my drink? I just can't try to keep up w/ you guys anymore, Ricky. Sheesh!

Condor, Condor..come in please. Where are the fracking results?

Fun Race. Thanks to Dave Baxter, Debbie Helling and all SB-KH Race volunteers, fun times.

Did the low mode to Anacapa, errored a little too low and Sluggo rolled us right at the island and beat us there by 6-8 boatlengths.

Race around Anacapa was steadier than usual and we played it a little too wide the last half of the island but narrowed the Sluggo lead to 3 boatlengths.

Reached hard to Dume and went inside Dume to get some leverage on Sluggo who made a earlier final approach for KH. They still had us.

Wind died 2 hours after Sunset. Slatted for 5 minutes and wind then filled in from 040 and we smoked along the inside to finish 14 minutes after the bars close.

Not completely sure of our result, lost sight of Sluggo on the outside. We did find we had caught the pack they were right behind, ONO the Olson 40 etc...

Pulled up to KHYC and Taxi was in full party mode with raging music etc...Bar closed and they bailed with whole crew minus Parker for SB.

Stoked to not find Sluggo tied up to the dock....whew.

Beating Sluggo's Burke brothers, Connely, and Brennan in that race is a serious challenge. Those guys collectively are SB-KH race gods and I know our victory comes at their expense, but I mean this from the bottom of my heart, GREAT RACE BOYS. I can hardly wait till next year to do it again!

Now where is my round of drinks? and Yabsley, you owe me 20 bucks.

post-692-1186334524_thumb.jpg

post-692-1186334575_thumb.jpg

post-692-1186334734_thumb.jpg

post-692-1186334853_thumb.jpg

Hey..thanks to everyone who posted their SB to KH Race experiences and photos as well as pre race info and weather reports. That's what keeps this thread interesting..hit #30,000 today. SBYC had a great showing besides the above mentioned.. Larry Leveille's RUSH STREET, first in class. Larry also did all the data input for the entries, another behind the scenes great volunteer.

xxxxx

Janer

post-1224-1186361280_thumb.jpg

it's amazing how quickly drunk people are willing to part with their money.....

What was the going rate for selling a watch?

What was the going rate for selling a watch?

I think the watches were 45 min each. $20 each

I think the watches were 45 min each. $20 each

Did you stay up all the way back?

Also, what time did you get to SB?

Edited by Madmax

I bet that was a morning to forget!

post-692-1186448269_thumb.jpg

Max, if you'd like to have that shirt (great one!)... on my 26th birthday got into a little scrap with some frenchman jokers at an upcountry Maui bar called Casanova... all good fun until I had to get 26 stiches in the chin (long story..). When I got done being sewn up, the girl I was with had hooked up with one of my buddies... oh well, takin' it on the chin as they say..! But if you want a shirt - order here:

http://www.casanovamaui.com/storeproducts.aspx?catID=1

thump

Edited by thump

I still have not received my Thump t-shirt. What gives?

post-1224-1186454077.jpg

But..thanks for the great report with pics! Tell Mrs. Thump she should have known better than to accept any beverage from the little bald headed guy. Hope he didn't sneeze into it..some precautionary penicillin might be in order.

xxx

I loved looking at the shots posted here by Thump, Madmax and the shots posted on the Lat 38 website (from Profligate). From those shots, I can't agree about just going around an oilrig... Without a doubt this race is three races in one(or maybe four!). The race to Anacapa, the race around Anacapa, the race to Dume and the race to the finish. Very cool that the photos from the 3 are all very close and show the various boat in different points around Anacapa. I gotta vote for keeping Anacapa in the race... no matter how long it delays my drinking.... :( Great shots from all!

...and if you're on a slower boat, the question of going into Dume at all, or trying to make time down the rhumb line before the wind dies off everywhere. If you're clearing Anacapa east end at 6:00, the choices are different. I think Anacapa makes it an interesting race.

While taking Anacapa out of the course is an interesting suggestion, I have to agree with JAG on keeping it in. While taking it out would almost guaranty a pre-0200 (i.e. bar open) finish for even the small boats, the backside of Anacapa is still my favorite part of the race: staying in phase, connecting the dots, maintaining VMG in building and dying puffs, etc. Lots of passing lanes and great scenery too.

Thanks for letting me drive that stretch Thump! (even if it did mean giving up my turn in the only real breeze of the race)

kp

Pokey, we hope to hear your report, too (newbie race for you) ~

So we've heard from the fast boats...

Now for a report from the back.

We had a good start at the boat (left) end, which wasn't too difficult since only four J29s showed up.

Using the advice gleaned from the thread I started last week, we steered a course directly for the west end of Anacapa; and as we got lifted set a chute and reached happily off toward the first waypoint.

This plan worked perfectly as we won the drag race to the first turn (not bad for the only fractionally rigged boat in the fleet).

Unfortunately, we didn't fare as well down the backside. Once around the corner, we switched to our runner since the wind was still about 12 knots. But Rush Street caught us by keeping close to the island and Mac's passed us on the outside. WTF?! So we jibed a few times and kept about even with Rush.

At about the arch, Rush turned down to the King Harbor rhumb line and Mac's headed up looking for speed. On the advice of the peanut gallery (SA), we took the middle road and headed straight for aptly named, Pt. Dume.

After the island, the breeze picked again up and we started seeing boat speeds just over 8 knots. The wind looked solid, so I proposed a bet to the boat: 'Will we see nine knots before sunset'?

Well, the optimists lost.

But it was a beautiful sunset behind the island and the wind seemed to be holding or only dropping slightly.

The first doldrums struck at about 10:30 and totally confounded us. We were still five miles off Pt Dume and making little headway. In fact, I'm embarrassed to say, that at one point someone noticed the lights of PCH off the right side of the boat. And it took some vigorous tiller movement (just short of sculling) to get pointed east again.

Eventually we got the light-to-no wind deal figured out and slowly made progress down the coast. Every hour or so, we'd catch a zephyr and ride it for a few miles. Then bob for a while longer. But after the first spin, we kept our boatspeed above .2 knots/hr for the rest of the race (usually about wind speed).

At sunrise we found ourselves in a loose gaggle of boats off El Segundo, all doing less than three knots. A binocular-check of sail numbers showed no 29s in sight but plenty of faster boats, so we were feeling pretty good. The group skipped from puff to puff for the last few hours. We finished at 9:31 on a tight reach, holding off a 105 and passing the Cat 38 Hassle around the buoy.

Unfortunately, Rush Street snuck in 10 minutes earlier and corrected on us by less than two minutes (or one second a mile).

For reasons best explained by the respective skippers, the other 29s abandoned the race.

Still, I was happy finishing that close to Larry, who reminded us at the awards, that he started doing this race more than 30 years ago (and has won more than his fair share of 'm).

We had a great time and learned tons.

"Great job on the SB2KH race, Dave Baxter! KH staff was great and the trophies were cool, too. I'm hoping the 3rd place trophy that Thumper will get will be the metal candy dish that looks like a flip-flop. "

Thump does get the flip-flop...

"Great job on the SB2KH race, Dave Baxter! KH staff was great and the trophies were cool, too. I'm hoping the 3rd place trophy that Thumper will get will be the metal candy dish that looks like a flip-flop. "

Thump does get the flip-flop...

[/quote

Sahweet! Thanks, Condor, and big hugs & high-fives from the SB sailors for bringing their trophies home. You're a team playah. :)

So who's partaking in the Sunday Margarita Series PHRF race? We'd love any other Melges 24's to join us... AWB and Thumper are in as of this afternoon..... Lounge Act?? Bandit?? Anyone? Anyone?

So who's partaking in the Sunday Margarita Series PHRF race? We'd love any other Melges 24's to join us... AWB and Thumper are in as of this afternoon..... Lounge Act?? Bandit?? Anyone? Anyone?

I think I'm available on Sunday.....

Hey Bowclown--

Would you like to grace us with your presence on the Farr this evening? Mike is out of town, so we are short on the front end....

JAG

...Unfortunately, Rush Street snuck in 10 minutes earlier and corrected on us by less than two minutes (or one second a mile).

pokey modestly doesn't mention that he was sailing with his J 29 class handicap. Under PHRF, he gets an addition 3 seconds from Rush Street. That would have been enough to put Pokey first, IF we were racing under PHRF.

Hey Bowclown--

Would you like to grace us with your presence on the Farr this evening? Mike is out of town, so we are short on the front end....

JAG

There is a very good probability that i can come over and get you a win. The big yellow boat is short on owners and it sounds like core crew as well...

they may not go out to race...

SHORT ON OWNERS!!!!

You're cracking me up here.

post-1224-1186596534.gif

See you on the Farr.

Good to see the radar back on the T, but it never needed it in the first place. Piss poor planning to remove it on the Sunday of Cal Cup by cutting the wires at deck level. I take it that they reported this to the rating board? How much did Ricky charge everyone for dinner on the race? At least there was dinner on this race. BC, how much did Ricky extort from you on your delivery fees?

Bobbo

Just down along the waterfront near the Marina 1 gate...there's a bunch of yellow crew running around trying to grab up enough owners to get the boat out tonight.

Good to see the radar back on the T, but it never needed it in the first place. Piss poor planning to remove it on the Sunday of Cal Cup by cutting the wires at deck level. I take it that they reported this to the rating board? How much did Ricky charge everyone for dinner on the race? At least there was dinner on this race. BC, how much did Ricky extort from you on your delivery fees?

Bobbo

he didn't extort anythig from me, nor did he pay me. he claims he did his watch...

Crew in Black shirts looking for rides. Crew in Yellow shirts looking for rides. It's gonna look like bumblebees!

Bobbo

Thanks Bowclown- Maybe you could stop by the little market and bring some liquid refreshments with all your delivery earnings...!

Crew in Black shirts looking for rides. Crew in Yellow shirts looking for rides. It's gonna look like bumblebees!

Bobbo

A fleet

All that money and sailing expertise doing nothing but increase bar sales at the club

A shame really

At least with the light coloured ones, you can get out the Sharpie and write "Will sail for Beer" on them!

Bobbo

Silent Bob & Kelp,

Maybe you have not figured out that the rest of us have figured out that you are one in the same.

If you want an on going stupid conversation with yourself, why not leave it on your answering machine.

That way you won't be boring the rest of us.

Thanks

post-1224-1186604607.gif

Thanks Bowclown- Maybe you could stop by the little market and bring some liquid refreshments with all your delivery earnings...!

:o WHAT?!?!?! I'm bringing you a win and i have to bring you all drinks too????

Some program.....

what color? red?

Silent Bob & Kelp,

Maybe you have not figured out that the rest of us have figured out that you are one in the same.

If you want an on going stupid conversation with yourself, why not leave it on your answering machine.

Thanks

post-1224-1186604607.gif

That won't work for us due to the fact that we don't know our telephone number because we never call ourselves and we're unlisted.

Not your fault A fleet is less than A fleetworthy, I (I mean we) root for the Farr no matter how many (or few) A fleet boats show up.

Good luck tonight,

Silent Kelp

A fleet

All that money and sailing expertise doing nothing but increase bar sales at the club

A shame really

what's wrong with increasing bar sales????

Silent Bob & Kelp,

Thanks

post-1224-1186604607.gif

Now that's the Pot calling the Kettle Black! Twisted Nipple, or is it Redneck? Oh wait, it's Janer! People that live in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones!

Bobbo

(Or is it Kelp? I just smoked a big one, and can't remember who I am!)

Sunday is Inter 20's birthday. Come sail, eat cake, and wash it down with margaritas. No expensive gifts, just give Dana the entry fee and will call it even. Do we need a permit to light all those candles on the cake?

:o WHAT?!?!?! I'm bringing you a win and i have to bring you all drinks too????

Some program.....

what color? red?

How about I get the beer and you just sail with us!?!

This sucks anyone know what the wind is or isn't doing DT

post-16745-1186612985.png

Did someone Say Fight!

Oh If the Farr isn't sailing this weekend then I would be available.

This sucks anyone know what the wind is or isn't doing DT

post-16745-1186612985.png

Did someone Say Fight!

Oh If the Farr isn't sailing this weekend then I would be available.

Great wind down in Ventucky currently

Inter20..I would not miss your birthday for sure. As far as expensive gifts I just want to get you a new Porche so you can get rid of the gay Purple one. Keep your shirt on PLEASE. God,you are so far above average. Love you no shit. How many candles?

Sunday is Inter 20's birthday. Come sail, eat cake, and wash it down with margaritas. No expensive gifts, just give Dana the entry fee and will call it even. Do we need a permit to light all those candles on the cake?

It's okay, there's a ton of firemen in the area code. One more acre, on top of the 80,000 acres that have just burned won't make a big dent.

Bobbo

Sequoia...

If it wasn't bad enough that the big red boat nearly made the Melges into bunny soup last night, at the bar Jim had the audacity to say "since we weren't in his class, it didn't matter that we were on starboard". Now really, that boat could be considered a lethal weapon in its current owners hands and in all seriousness if BB didn't crash tack us when he did, someone could've gotten killed.

I understand that many of the crew are inexperienced, but come on, you're taking the start on port, with breeze - hurdling 16 tons at the line and no one is looking out for starboard boats - get a clue Elmer Fudd or get the (bleep) off the water.

thump

Edited by thump

Thump,

Very scarey to have that shit for brains driving a big boat. He almost hit the Farr last week (we were on starboard and had to alter course). Of course he did not do his turns. I think I will bring this up at the Sail Policy Meeting tonight..see if we can issue some kind of warning to him.

I find it difficult to believe an amateur would attempt to port tack A fleet on the starting line, you guys must be mistaken.

Easy, I'm joking!

My question is was he protested either last week or this week? Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT A FAN OF PROTESTING WET WEDs, but this is the only way some people will learn. Perhaps he needs to be DSQed every week till he learns the rules.

Glad everyone's OK.

Kelpo

Thump, BallBreaker, kelp, etal,

I brought up the egregious behavior by the red boat. I knew the answer would be Protest, but I did it any way regarding safety issues. So we need to protest. One idea was that everyone witnessing the foul should fly a red flag. Everyone, so pass that around. I plan on discussing it personally with the offender and several others will do the same. SESCREWYA is an accident waiting to happen. A 145 hitting a Melges 24..well I don't even want to think of the aftermath. He has no regard (or knowledge?) of the rules.

Well, he does look a bit like Elmer Fudd, but not so loveable. Any other ideas on how to deal with the situation? We have not had one protest heard all year in the Wet Weds Series which is not necessarily good. Lots of fouls go by the wayside. Everyone wants to have fun on Weds and not go to the room and I certainly understand that. But, when someone continually fouls and puts sailors in dangerous situations we can't just let it slide. Thoughts?

I saw Short Skirt do some circles last Wed. Very Admirable.

I think its good it is being resolved on the course.

As for the Red Boat, simple, Thump should have flagged them.

I don't think calling the guys names or otherwise here is too upstanding.

Just my .02

Hijack,

When was the last time you did circles?

For me it was LBRW this year, remember Thump?

One problem with the current setup is having two fleets starting with one mark being an end of both lines.

Wednesday, the red boat was over early and returning at her port end while the Melges was very late at her starboard end. Unfortunately, it's the same mark - F mark. No excuse for the rules violation, but maybe the start line situation should be rethought.

Hopefully, the Melges fleet can get boats out to merit a separate start. Mostly now they have one or two boats on Wednesdays.

Hijack,

When was the last time you did circles?

For me it was LBRW this year, remember Thump?

I did a circle at LBRW, but for touching a mark. Crew was faster than me steering around the mark getting the chute up, and we brushed. (Noone saw it, and I briefly thought 'We don't have to...', but noooooo.)

One problem with the current setup is having two fleets starting with one mark being an end of both lines.

Wednesday, the red boat was over early and returning at her port end while the Melges was very late at her starboard end. Unfortunately, it's the same mark - F mark. No excuse for the rules violation, but maybe the start line situation should be rethought.

Hopefully, the Melges fleet can get boats out to merit a separate start. Mostly now they have one or two boats on Wednesdays.

I don't agree with your observation on the circumstances at the start. First the red boat was not over early, since we we're on the same clock how could the red boat be so far from the line and have been over early at the same time? The red boat was setting up for a port tack on the A fleet. Not many boats out for that start so I believe they figured they could pull it off.

My rant was two fold, first if you're going to pull a maneuver like that, a look out for starboard boats would be expected. If there was a boat starboard, regardless of why they were there, the onus was on Sequoia to stay clear. Pretty simple. What twisted my panties was the conversations that transpired at the club. A simple, you're right we were wrong - we learned something...would have sufficed and all would've been good. What we got instead was a complete dismissal of responsibility. That signifies to me that this will happen again. If it happens and someone really gets hurt I don't want to look back and say, geez I should've made a bigger deal out of that when I could and maybe things would be different.

Max, two things, as for circles... yours at LBRW they were to die for, literally... As for name calling, I was shooting blanks and only having fun with the Magoo / Elmer analogies. How I felt about the feedback from the big red boat Wednesday would've launched a barrage that would've made a truck driver blush... I restrained.

As for the Melges start, rumor has it another boat is on the way and a second isn't far behind. We've strongly encouraged the Lounge Lizards to get their boat out and with the extra crew floating around there really shouldn't be any excuses left... So come on Loren, go sailing.

thump

Edited by thump

what time do the festivities begin tomorrow? Thx

I can't seem to download the SIs

what time do the festivities begin tomorrow? Thx

I can't seem to download the SIs

Hey Pete,

Skippers: 1200

First Warning: 1325 hours

Max,

About the name calling ..HA HA, I can't believe you said that on SA. But sure I apologize if you thought it was wrong.

Then again, have you ever had this guy coming right at you on Port, and you hail Starboard and he has a blank look on his face like you are speaking Greek?

And then he STILL has a blank look on his face at the Club when you bring it up; or he has some rude come back that make no sense.

He has been lucky so far, the close calls have been with very good skippers; Dirk, JAG, BB, etc. Someone who cannot make split second decisions to avoid him will get hurt sooner or later.

Name calling?

Max, don't read this.

He is a pompous ignorant asshole.