Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

post-1224-1216607422_thumb.jpg

The J/105 Free Enterprise rescued a kite boarder today. The kiter had been trying to swim to his lost kite and board for about 30 minutes when Free Enterprise (recent winner of the J/105 Class at Long Beach Race Week)came to the rescue. The wake in the back ground is the Harbor Patrol boat doing a turn and burn after seeing that they were too late on the scene. Good job guys!

That was Paul Hefernen, he sails on the boat. We were on our way back from the islands and it looked like he needed a ride upwind.

How was the surf?

It was good. Surfed a spot around ford point on Santa Rosa all day saturday that was fun head high and had it to ourselves. Sunday morning we went to skunk point and there were 15 boats. Surf was a very solid 6-8 foot starting in about 2 feet of water over rock. Snapped my rounded pin clean in half an hour into the session but it was ok since I had already driven it through five barrels. Crappy pictures but you get the idea.

post-25624-1216914272_thumb.jpg

post-25624-1216914313_thumb.jpg

Volunteers are really stretched thin for the weekend. The CFJ Nationals start today with 56 entries. Tomorrow the Fiesta Cup one design regatta starts (J/105's & Farr 40's). WE NEED HELP. Looking for mark's boats helpers mostly. Please PM me asap if you are available. thanks :unsure:

Hey Kenny,

Don't know..this is the second year I tried to get them to have a classs, I am disappointed. But many have pitched in to run the two big events we have this weekend. KP is running the CFJ Nationals with another Melges owner Dr. Bill The Lost Boys are crewing on Skian Dhu along with Jefe. Charlie is doing RC work as is Raegan, Glenn flying, Thumper keel not fixed yet UGH it's been tough for me to try to get them together. Bill said that you guys had a Melges party recently, was there any talk of getting their shit together? I hate publishing NOR's for one design classes and then they don't show. I polled them two weeks ago so I could order trophies and the consenus was probably not, for a blossoming new class in the area I am dissapointed, but glad tha they are volunteering back to the events

How was the guac?

I was in SFO all day, 55 degrees and 18-25 knots.

Oh, I forgot to mention fog.

Max you going up for Aldo Aliso?

Its the Aldo Aliso race this weekend in SF. Sailing with the Akela wondering if you might be there.

Say it ain't so. Theres always time for sailing I arrive LAX from Shanghai 9 o'clock Wed. fly out 6am OC to SF Thurs.

post-1224-1217301518_thumb.jpgFIESTA CUP, GUACAMOLE BOWL..whatever, was light the first day but hot & sunny. Several J/105 & Farr 40 crews went swimming during the postponement. Managed to get off 2 races and start in early on the party scene. Dave Voss put did his usual dock party with fresh mojitos and appetizers for the Farr 40 group. Then we all went to the Reggae band party on the beach with free mai tai's and beer, lots of great shrimp. Only a few face plants by the end of the evening. The second day of racing was much better wind wise. Lots of very tight finishes but Piranha pulled it off again winning with 7 points which also gave him the SoCal Farr 40 championship for 2008. Temptress took second and local Skian Dhu third.

post-1224-1217301504_thumb.jpg

Jeff Janov of Cal YC took first in the J/105 class, followed by locals Rock n'Roll, Short Skirt and Free Enterprise.

The next big party starts Thursday night as crews arrive at SBYC for the start of the SB to King Harbor Race, usually around 120 boats. J/105's and Farr 40's will have their own class start. Hope it gets windy!

Can you say "Jet Lag"?

Yeah its gona be a bit tough. I figure its hard to fall asleep blasting around the bay at 20+. Its the getting up in the morning that will be tough. I've been doing the trip about every month and a half so I know what I'm in for. I just couldn't say no.

More info on the SB-KH hoist issue from Karl of Harbor operations:

"We'll be operating HMW's boom truck starting at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday. We'll also have it available Friday morning if there is demand. First come first serve."

If you know anyone that needs the hoist, please let them know the schedule.

------

105 boats entered as of Monday.

A note to all the Santa Barbara sailing chicks - This Wed. is "Ladies night at the Helm". Kick the 'regular' helmsman out of the cockpit let's see some serious "cat fighting" out there. All joking aside - we're trying to promote some oppotunities for the gals to get their shot at driving and yelling at the guys instead of the other way around. There will be some special goodies for EVERY woman driver, regardless of finish position, up at the club aterwards, so let's see if we can't crank up some turnout for this one!!! :lol:

Congratulations to Austin and Nicole on the birth of their baby girl. Oddly enough when Nicole's sister came in to visit at the hospital, she ended up going into labor also.

Austin became a dad and an uncle on the same day. go figure

post-1224-1217375893.gif

Great night on the water with about 13 knots, a non scoring Wet Weds where women are invited to drive boats that they crew on. Taxi picked Max as their driver and Sting picked Kenny (well at least they have nice man boobs).There were some real women driving;Dawn Sherry on J/24, myself on the Farr 40, and a junior gal driving Average White Boat

110 boats now signed up for the SB to King Harbor race, everything from Peligroso to a Melges 24 (go Lounge Act). A nice fleet of sleds and 50-52 footers. My boyfriends Chris and Frish are in town, eager to tie one on. God how many years of this can we survive? Big Party starts tomorrow Thursday at the Club. Ran out of Mt. Gay last year. Party foul.And there is a ton of mexican food and margaritas going on downtown at the annual Fiesta. I'm taking the high road on a Grand Banks 60 to meet the SBYC cruisers (150 and counting) at Catalina. Yumm. those Buffalo Milks are to die for, I don't know whats in them but its a tall glass of booze, coconut milk with whip cream topper. Probably about 1000 calories and you do not feel healthy in the morning.

Hope there is wind at the start. Kinda doubtful with the present weather pattern. Good luck to all!

Rut Ro...

4 knots out of the SW at the start of the Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race, could be a long night.

Rut Ro...

4 knots out of the SW at the start of the Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race, could be a long night.

Go the trawler!

Rut Ro...

Not too bad, as it turned out. Slow start to about the towers for us, then the westerly and building wind. Saw about 18 on the way to the island, the wind was more NW at the island, so we had none of the usual very light airs on the back side of Anacapa. Then some fun surfing in 18-22 until about 10:15, when it got lighter. Then around 2:00, it really got light.

Most of the bigger boats got in early.

SBYC did well:

Commotion, Tigress, Bluebird, and Rush Street won their classes. Several other SBYC boats took trophies, but I can't remember all, so look at the results. They should be up on the KHYC site soon.

Does anyone know where the photos get posted from the King Harbour race? There was a powerboat following us just past Anacapa that seemed to be getting some cool shots?

The name of the power boat was probably the "Black Pearl". The owner was racing his boat "Taxi Dancer". Sorry the B. P. is not a photo boat its a party boat :rolleyes:

Dang! I had to go to page 3 to find the SB Sailing thread.... Jane must be on vacation and Max must be at 30,000 feet??? Good to hear that we finally had good breeze for a KH race. I sacrificed myself by going to Chicago during the race. You're welcome.

I'M BAAACCKK!

I went on the annual SBYC cruise to Catalina, it was too wild. About 23 boats and 150 folks from the Club invaded Avalon. We left SB the night of the King Harbor race on Grand Times, Grand Banks 57 and had a great crossing but were very worried about the Coast Guard radio transmissions about the overturned tri and my good friends on the Antrim 27 who had two women overboard. I have just read their emails about the ordeal and it must have been so scarey for them especially my pal JudyRae who was in the water for 30 minutes. I also heard later about the Dr. Laura melt down at King Harbor YC. I guess she just can't stop herself from being an idiot. Thank God she now sails under the SB Sailing Club, save us the embarrassment.

I was truly welcomed into the cruising scene by our Commodore who was thrilled that I had crossed over, temporarily. It was a non stop party starting with a vodka tasting on board Grand Times the first night. We typically had 20 to 40 people partying on the boat every night, plus gourmet meals provided by Dawn and Paul. There was a costumed dinghy parade followed by an incredible water fight in the Avalon Harbor. I'll add some pics tomorrow! I'm not going to become a cruiser, but they do party like racers.

"Their trying to make me go to rehab I say No......No.....No"

Amy Winehouse

Does that mean anything Janer?

So two questions about meltdowns:

- Has anyone else ever gotten pissed off with the PRO, RC, etc. when something went wrong in a race? (guilty here!)

- How would you react if you sailed a fantastic race and the RC made an error that took it away from you?

Anyone?

(Bueller? Bueller? ....)

- Has anyone else ever gotten pissed off with the PRO, RC, etc. when something went wrong in a race? (guilty here!)

- How would you react if you sailed a fantastic race and the RC made an error that took it away from you?

Anyone?

(Bueller? Bueller? ....)

Ventucky YC race committee has had some doozies over the years with the J/24 class. Somehow we schlep back there every couple of years to get back in the water, and they have improved over the years, with minor setbacks still common. I pretty much consider the head PRO at VYC a slack-jawed yokel, but don't tell it to his face.

Janer. You missed an excellent King Harbor Race. You also missed our great finish on the Flying Tiger. It was incredable finishing the race with Santa Cruz 50's all around us on our little 33 footer. But......you wouldn't have seen us anyway. All the Farr 40's were farr behind us. :blink:

It was incredable finishing the race with Santa Cruz 50's all around us on our little 33 footer. But......you wouldn't have seen us anyway. All the Farr 40's were farr behind us. :blink:

Should be fun sailing boat for boat with you guys with your new rating.

Yuk, yuk

Hey so the Port Capt. tossed da doc out of the yard for grinding fiberglass and making a mess on other boats. Is that part of the "secret" stuff that was done to the boat? What exactly was done to the boat? Rumor was that she tried to Karate kick the doors of the King Harbor YC. I need to carry my camera more often. Too many priceless moments have not been recorded.

Hey so the Port Capt. tossed da doc out of the yard for grinding fiberglass and making a mess on other boats. Is that part of the "secret" stuff that was done to the boat? What exactly was done to the boat?

Janer, the port captain did not throw anyone out.

How do I know this?

I am the Port Captain at SBSC.

BTW KK said they got a nice SE shift going across the channel which put them out in front and from there on it was planing conditions, something the Tigers do very-very well.

KK, you might want to lay low with the "we beat the 50's boat for boat" or the rating will change...but then again, that will mean another new boat!

When you going to race that Tigress Cat One Design?

I need to carry my camera more often. Too many priceless moments have not been recorded.

Yeah, I gonna start bringing my camera, too. One of these days there's gonna be a "Bitchen Chick" fight at the bar! :ph34r: Hopefully Janer wont bring her Tonya Harding club.

How do I know this?

BTW KK said they got a nice SE shift going across the channel which put them out in front and from there on it was planing conditions, something the Tigers do very-very well.

KK, you might want to lay low with the "we beat the 50's boat for boat" or the rating will change...but then again, that will mean another new boat!

When you going to race that Tigress Cat One Design?

sc-37? :blink:

How do I know this?

Max, I was speaking of the Yacht Club boat yard and yes it did happen.

Excellent two days of racing for 58 kids in the U.S. Sabot Nationals held here. Shimer and I took photos both days. They are our next generation of great sailors. Chris Vilicich of King Harbor YC took first in A fleet; Cole Sakomoto also of KHYC took first in B, and Jane Clarke of Del Rey took first in C. So great to watch all of them.

U.S. Sabot National Championship photos (close up is a Pierce)

post-1224-1218424428_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1218424448_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1218424466_thumb.jpg

These kids were fantastic. Heavier air than they were used to. Lots of bailing going on...lots of capsizes, I saw a lot of smiley faces.

I agree .....some of us plan to race FTs for years to come...the Dago results suggest the rating is fine, with the best OD crews consistently at the top of the fleet in PHRF and the middle the OD fleeters finishing middle of the PHRF fleet.....seems like when OD results are mirrored in PHRF, the rating is about right. Comparing OD and PHRF finishes is a good metric to ensure that the rating is based on the boat and not the sailors.

I see Mark Folkman won the senior Sabot Nationals in SB last weekend. Congratulations Mark! An incredible sailor (probably the best I have ever had the pleasure of sailing with) and a super nice guy to boot.

post-3161-1218481459_thumb.jpg

Anyone?

(Bueller? Bueller? ....)

Brings back the rumor question... a mark of the course is a mark of the course... if you don't round it, you cant finish. We had an incident this weekend elsewhere when a competitor not only hit a mark, it was pointed out to them by another competitor while it was happening and they refused to do a turn, then claimed they knew nothing of the incident in the room. Poor sportsmanship generally indicates a lack of self confidence or integrity I believe.

Brings back the rumor question... a mark of the course is a mark of the course... if you don't round it, you cant finish. We had an incident this weekend elsewhere when a competitor not only hit a mark, it was pointed out to them by another competitor while it was happening and they refused to do a turn, then claimed they knew nothing of the incident in the room. Poor sportsmanship generally indicates a lack of self confidence or integrity I believe.

You're right, the integrity thing is paramount. I've hit a mark with noone else around to see the touch. It comes into my mind that I don't have to do the circle - noone would know. Except I would know, and I always do the circle.

The person you talk about hitting that mark and denying it is just wrong, in a lot of ways.

Nice Wed night last night! D to Bell Buoy 2 times.

Doc L kicked (ours) and everyone in B's Ass,

Daddy (2X) Herlihy won the J 105's.

Nice to read the KHYC won ALL divisions last weekend in Sabots! JAG and mine's homeport/spawning grounds.

Mark Folkman (of KHYC) IS the most underrated sailor on the West Coast. He is a mix of Jim Yabsley and Larry Harteck in personality and sailing skill. And the bastard weighs 150 lbs so he is ultra competitive in Sabots! Heard he has put the Olson 40 "Ono" up for sale for a SC 50.

Tomorrow is the Margarita Series and the Wine & Roses Catamaran Races. Hope it's good like Wednesday!!

post-1224-1218837374_thumb.jpg

PS. (Bowclown, long time no see. Having a little problem with DoRag , eh??)

Nice day on Taxi.

Good crew work.

No yelling Rick.

Lot of fun.

Did I say Margarita's gratas?

Right on Max. A beautiful but light racing day. Nice "A "Fleet bigger than usual with the SC 52 and J/130 joining in the frey.Congrats to Taxi crew for kicking our butts around the course. Lots of sun (Max I've never seen you with so much sun screen on..a white out) Free margaritas for hours took its toll. Thanks to the YC for that and Dana did a great job running it off shore as usual.

I didn't stay long enough to hear results on the Wine & Roses Catamaran races. I'm putting my money on Harteck.

The NOR is finally out for the infamous VENTUCKY CUP after lots of input, disagreements, etc. The final format is 4 boat teams with a total minimum rating of 375.

Any thoughts?

I'm a little worried that they have adopted a new logo for the regatta, a skull and crossbones. WTF?

post-1224-1219194224.gif

Sunscreen. Yep, got the new stuff Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide and NOT using the old types that have Avobenzene?...crap.

This weekend is the infamous Goleta Beach race.

I am a virgin on this one and have been told it is a blast, BBQ rocks on the beach!

Racing the J 80 in it, hoist is STILL not operational to launch the Hobie:-(

post-692-1219202382_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow is the Margarita Series and the Wine & Roses Catamaran Races. Hope it's good like Wednesday!!

post-1224-1218837374_thumb.jpg

PS. (Bowclown, long time no see. Having a little problem with DoRag , eh??)

i was bored, saw him give someone shit for finishing last and decided to have at him for it. at least the guy was participating, etc.

Sunscreen. Yep, got the new stuff Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide and NOT using the old types that have Avobenzene?...crap.

This weekend is the infamous Goleta Beach race.

I am a virgin on this one and have been told it is a blast, BBQ rocks on the beach!

Racing the J 80 in it, hoist is STILL not operational to launch the Hobie:-(

You're going to love this race, Max. Don't forget your anchor and make sure you get a good set before hitting the keg on the beach. Last year we had a little pipe up of breeze after everybody had been on the beach for an hour and a few boats started dragging hooks (I believe mine was one of those!) :o What's the program with the big hoist? I thought they were going to have it done just after the King Harbor race.

Yep,

The hoist is still down as of yesterday, Friday PM. Looks almost done, just needs the controller thing-a-ma-jig. I was told by the technician (loosely used) working on it Wed it would be done Thursday and I was pumped to launch the Hobie for this race.

J-80 it is.

I am bringing a second larger anchor.

Family affair, Max-Sheridan and Zoe. Zoe's first Race!

I am dropping them off in Goleta, if anyone wants to ride down see me at the keg...otherwise I am soloing!

Looks like a nice ride down this afternoon if it is like yesterday at all.

See you all...on da wata.

post-692-1219505071_thumb.jpg

Wow,

Goleta Beach Race by SBYC and SBSC..that was fun.

Great race, great food, great crowd and a very nice sail home afterwards.

My first, but for sure not my last.

Zoe even crashed afterwards!

post-692-1219690602_thumb.jpg

Max,

You were awesome sailing with two beautiful women..seemed like you did well in the race too. I was proud of Laura for not doing the usual turn and burn even though she lost. I saw her with her face in the sand, hat over head, whilst her crew fetched her dinner.

The J/105 Nationals in SF looked pretty rough. Great video of bowman of Lulu launched overboard at a mark rounding. Second crewmember almost overboard trying to grab him. Rock n' Roll did pretty well, 22 out of 36.

post-1224-1219710101.jpg

The first Flippin' Friday regatta was held Friday night with 16 women showing up to race FJ's, most of whom had never been in a dinghy before! Hilarity around the course, some wet and bunched up undies and lots of cocktails later.

Hey!

Deneen had a great weekend back in Newport, RI, on the Mumm 30!

Way to go, Deneen!

1 USA 706 Groovederci Deneen Demourkas 1 1 2 2 2 2 1 11.00 1

2 USA 55 Illusion John Podmajersky 3 2 1 4 1 4 2 17.00 2

3 USA 683 Turbo Duck Bodo & Nick von der Wense 2 3 3 1 3 1 4 17.00 3

4 USA 27 Kaizen Moise Solomon 5 4 5 5 5 3 3 30.00 4

5 USA 691 Adrenalin Jeff Maludy 4 5 4 3 4 5 5 30.00 5

6 USA 21 Just Plain Nutz Norm & Jack Dean 6 6 6 6 6 7 6 43.00 6

7 USA 47 Venturesome Bob Zannetti 8/DNF 7 7 7 7 6 7 49.00 7

credit?

CW, You are so correct. I am embarrassed that I not give credit to Peter Lyons for lots of excellent shots. I spaced it out and I always want to give credit to great sailing photogs, their job is not easy. Their results let us relive great moments on the water.

Another not to be overlooked family team in the Goleta Beach Race, Melges 24 AWB was skippered by 10 year old Lucas with grandparents as crew along with Dad. Lucas drove for the entire 2++ hour race. Excellent.

So how many Farr 40 owners do foredeck? Tonight, a breezy, foggy Wet Wednesday race we had good crew but no foredeck. So owner Dirk handed the helm to JAG and said "I'll do it". And we won. He also brings a bottle of Mt. Gay for after race cocktails on the boat. Anyone else got such an incredible owner?

Probably not!

Another not to be overlooked family team in the Goleta Beach Race, Melges 24 AWB was skippered by 10 year old Lucas with grandparents as crew along with Dad. Lucas drove for the entire 2++ hour race. Excellent.

So how many Farr 40 owners do foredeck? Tonight, a breezy, foggy Wet Wednesday race we had good crew but no foredeck. So owner Dirk handed the helm to JAG and said "I'll do it". And we won. He also brings a bottle of Mt. Gay for after race cocktails on the boat. Anyone else got such an incredible owner?

Probably not!

What about that big red boat from a few years past? No?

What about that big red boat from a few years past? No?

HAHAHA

post-1224-1219957491.jpg

Dont want to hijack teh thread (not much chance after 48 pages!!) but you guys look the best to ask the following:

Looks like I will be moving to the Ventura CA area in a few months. Will have to leave Sydney where I have rediscovered my love of racing. So far I have been:

1) Sailing my bladerider, (Foiling Moth, Chief Swimming Instructor)

2) Racing a sports boat (Driver / tactics)

3) Going offshore in a Volvo 60 (Drive / tactics/ trim)

Given all that, what the sailing scene in the area? I am looking for a dinghy club where I can sail the Moth, plus any owners looking for crew for sports boats or offshore (or both). I am no rock star but am reasonably competent and some signifncat experience....

If you can give me any advice or put in touch with S Anarchists in the area, would be much appreciated....

Thanks

Pearl Man,

You can come race a J 80 with us in SB Area.

Better racing in the Santa Barbara Area for all types of boats.

MM

pearl - when you come, bring the moth - love to give it a go

now where to start...

hmm - coming over in a couple of months, you say?- sailing is year round here - but the wind is inconsistent gradient wind in the winter, but like clockwork thermal in the summer ( 15 - 18 kts every day). small boat racing ends with the turkey day regatta the end of November, and starts up with mid winter regattas in February

the ventura area has two large man made harbors (Ventura and Channel Islands), consistent thermal summer breeze, and almost no racing - no idea why.

there are also no dinghy clubs anywhere near by. the closest is probably Alamitos Bay YC 90 miles south in Long Beach. Great sailing in ventura tho, and loads of kiters at the surfer's point in ventura. however you don't need a club to go sailing, as there is loads of public access beaches and ramps for free - ( just parking charges)

as madmax says above - just go to Santa Barbara, just 30 minutes up coast, much more boats sailing out of a smaller harbor, random phrf boats, J 24s, Melges 24s, bunch o J105s, some larger J boats, a farr 40, and a RP 70 all get out for wed nites - and you could do worse then max and the J80, or his Hobie 33

oh yea - the wed nites out of santa barbara start early april and end at the end of sept

for the skiffs, we got to travel - races in San Diego - long beach, santa barbara, san francisco, the gorge, and seattle

also the moths are growing on the west coast - about ten just sailed the North Americans at the gorge, and there were some very good sailors jumping into the fleet - the moth worlds will be at the gorge next year

oh yea bring your wetsuit for the mothing - the sea is always chilly -

post here, or pm max or me when you get here

The 23rd Annual Shalhoob Women Skipper's Regatta was a blast for most of the gals. I shut the door on da doc in the first start and there was lots of whoopalah and red flags flying before we got across the line. I can only assume she was protesting herself for barging.

My crew of 5 gals and 4 dudes did an excellent job and we dominated the first two races. Breeze picked up more for the third and final where da doc in the Flying Tiger beat us by 35 seconds. As we were motoring into the harbor and ended up side by side I offered congratulations for her 3rd race victory. She refused to look at us or acknowledge my congrats. Ahh, surly in defeat, so sad.

My crew did mai tai's in the cockpit before cruising up to the Club. So much fun. Becky Harteck took 3rd, Heidi Ziskind 4th and Valerie Van Sandt 5th. A great party ensued.

post-1224-1220316714_thumb.jpg

The 23rd Annual Shalhoob Women Skipper's Regatta was a blast for most of the gals. I shut the door on da doc in the first start and there was lots of whoopalah and red flags flying before we got across the line. I can only assume she was protesting herself for barging.

My crew of 5 gals and 4 dudes did an excellent job and we dominated the first two races. Breeze picked up more for the third and final where da doc in the Flying Tiger beat us by 35 seconds. As we were motoring into the harbor and ended up side by side I offered congratulations for her 3rd race victory. She refused to look at us or acknowledge my congrats. Ahh, surly in defeat, so sad.

My crew did mai tai's in the cockpit before cruising up to the Club. So much fun. Becky Harteck took 3rd, Heidi Ziskind 4th and Valerie Van Sandt 5th. A great party ensued.

post-1224-1220316714_thumb.jpg

Whoops! Hit the reply button too soon on the previous message! It was great fun sailing the Shalhoob. Just goes to show you that you can still win a regatta without having a skipper who screams at the crew. Thanks for a great day!

If you don't scream at the crew, how are they supposed to hear you and understand what you want? Cause everyone knows that the crew doesn't know what their doing.... :wacko:

Interested in coming up from King Harbor for some OD Melges 24 racing for the Sept. 13th race, any info from the fleet or a good contact would be great.

Send a PM to Thump. He'll get you everything you need!

If you don't scream at the crew, how are they supposed to hear you and understand what you want? Cause everyone knows that the crew doesn't know what their doing.... :wacko:

Ahhh, my little BowClown, you are getting too accustomed to the over zealous high volume voices at the back of the big Taxi. Some day you shall return to the peacefullness and flowing rum on the Farr 40.

By the way, we are 5 points ahead of you in Wet Wednesday. Perhaps the quiet road and confidence in your crew leads to.....better concentration.

Here you go Santa Barbara. Have your fun with it as you will. I don't think T.H. is on SA, but I could be wrong.

This is T.H. on my Merit 25 sailing on Lake Michigan during his vacation.

post-9190-1220445306_thumb.jpg

Here you go Santa Barbara. Have your fun with it as you will. I don't think T.H. is on SA, but I could be wrong.

This is T.H. on my Merit 25 sailing on Lake Michigan during his vacation.

He needs another hand for the smoke:-)

Maybe he is on the chew, is that Milwaukee's Best?

Yep, that's him alright. I'd know those glassy eyes anywhere. He is the King of The Crab Boil here in SB.

Did you get your boat back?

Great Wet Wed last night.

Good breeze with some funky thermal holes to mix it up.

"B" fleet is quite close and competitive. First through third place delta's were only 30 seconds total! Tacking up the coast the boats are always ducking and weaving and same with the runs. The first leeward mark is a hot spot for sure! Really like the J-80, have grown quite fond of it.. Easy to handle, capable with only 3 sailors and roomy cockpit. Nice boats.

Max,

Your fleet is definitely in close competition, not only last night,but the series overall still 1 point apart. I spoke too soon about the Farr 40 being ahead, well, we're still ahead but Taxi beat us by 3 seconds last night and with the throw out we are now only one stinking point ahead with 3 races to go. So it's still game on.

Sunday's Charity Regatta should be great fun as always with lots of music, power boat and sailboat racing. At tonight's meeting we were discussing the possibility of power boat starts overlapping with yacht racing. That would be something new, like a Grand Banks 57 throwing a shadow on a J/92. It will all get sorted out and be fun for a great cause, Hospice. Throw some money at it...lots of raffle prizes.

The e-mail below was forwarded to me today.... The sad demise of the previous competition that was Ventura Cup continues. The Notice of Race didn't come out until WAY too late, and now two weeks before the event, there appears to be another change. I would expect nothing less from a yacht club in Kansas, but a west coast yacht club that has the ability to run big events should not continually have problems understanding how to make a fair event for all clubs.

If you can't understand the difference between the yacht club challenge at LBRW (secondary trophy) and the Ventura Cup (grand prize), then I guess we will never come to any understanding. I'd propose you just retire the trophy before dumbing it down to this format of three races- two of which are random leg courses around oil rigs. If you are measuring the success of the regatta by attendance instead of the quality of racing, then we disagree. If you measure the regatta by how much money you make in raffle and drink sales, then we disagree.

Here's a suggestion:

1. Begin planning for 2009's format today and have a NOR for it printed by the 2008 event.

2. Run a format that is run at any RESPECTED event-- tactical windward leeward courses, not follow the leader around oil rigs.

4. Stick to your guns and quite trying to appease every boat from the cushiest cruiser to a grand prix racer.

5. Lastly, make sure the race chairman focuses on the racing first above the social chair's agenda.

Racers and Yacht Clubs.

The Ventura Cup is just 2 weekends away and the situation is as follows:

-- Lots of boats are checking in for the Santa Barbara Channel Challenge.

-- But no clubs are checking in for the Ventura Cup. As things stand, we would have a VYC team and possibly teams from Santa Barbara Yacht Club and Santa Barbara Sailing Club. PERIOD.=2 0(AYC, PBYC and CIYC have indicated they don't plan to field teams under the old format -- 4-boat team with combined minimum handicap of 375).

Well, that isn't satisfactory, so I am stealing a page from both Long Beach Race Week and the PHRF Championships and will make the Ventura Cup part of the Santa Barbara Channel Challenge.

At the recent Long Beach Race week, they had a couple of hundred boats competing. And they also had nine 3-boat teams competing for top club honors. The same thing happens at the PHRF Championships. So that is how we will do the Ventura Cup this year.

The Santa Barbara Channel Challenge is an individual boat competition, with low point scoring.

The Ventura Cup will be part of that competition, with high point race by race scoring -- just like they did it at Long Beach (except they used low point scoring there).

There will be at least four classes. Two spinnaker and two non-spinnaker. The way things are shaping up, there may be 3 spinnaker classes (minimum of 6 boats in each class). The Ventura Cup portion of the format would allow anything from a Farr 40 to a Cal 20 to compete.

At Long Beach Race Week, a yacht club could enter as many 3-boat teams as it wished, in trying for top club honors. (Long Beach Yacht Club and San Diego Yacht Club each had more than one three-boat team). Should we do that for Santa Barbara Channel Challenge, or restrict to one three-boat team per club. Give me a response on this quickly, please.

Clubs can designate its team (or multiple teams) prior to Sept. 12. After that, boats can still enter individually but cannot be part of the team competition.

The racing format for the weekend will be:

SATURDAY, Sept. 20: One windward leeward race for each class, followed by one random leg race for each class.

SUNDAY, Sept. 21. One long random leg race for each class.

Stan Whisenhunt

VYC Race Chair

Santa Barbara Channel Challenge/Ventura Cup Chair

Swhisenhun@aol.com

Boats checked in for the challenge:

Spinnaker boats:

J-24 Tortoise, J-24 Blue J, J-35c Strider, J-35 Rival, C&C 110 Endurance, Santa Cruz 50 Deception, Beneteau 10R Sprit Decision, Fast 40 Uhambo, Catalina 42 Wind Dancer, Mull 30 XS, Olson 30 Perfect Balance, J-105 No Compromise, Choate 48 Funatic, Zap 26 Angry Hillbillies.

Non-spinnaker boats:

Islander 29 Velero, Catalina 27 Sisu, J-35 Scooter, Beneteau 36 Paloma, Catalina 320 R Escape.

That, folks, is only the tip of the ice berg. With a format in which ever ybody is racing for individual honors and every club has a chance to field a team (or maybe more than one team), this will be a regatta worth all the time and effort it takes to put it on.

Did I hear Random leg????

I hear a calling for the Hobie 33!

OH yeah....The hoist is STILL not repaired!

Ventucky Cup UGH! Could they make it any more ridiculous?

JAG, you are spot on with all of your comments. Whisenhunt's last minute change of format does not even merit a response. Maybe we should just tell him to read Sailing Anarchy.

Don't go! Won't they feel great about winning a regatta that the main competition doesn't show up for? I like to compete on a level field. If they make it such a hassle to compete, they don't want us there. Save your time and money. Throw one of the Margie series on that weekend, stay home and get drunk at our bar. What's it rate?!

Bobbo

Do I have to keep repeating myself? It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer; it feels good, when you stop!