Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

Catalina Airport was interesting at 6:45 pm.

It was 40 degrees off the runway at 20 gusting 30.

In a King Air....no problema.

post-692-1239290740_thumb.jpg

We saw as much as just under 32 and as little as 8+ on the B&Gs - clocking right as the evening progressed.

The current was pretty strong downcoast at over a knot at the pin end of the line and further out.

We saw as much as just under 32 and as little as 8+ on the B&Gs - clocking right as the evening progressed.

The current was pretty strong downcoast at over a knot at the pin end of the line and further out.

Peak average around 27 knots and sustained one hour average of 23-27? I am just trying to nail down the peak for time and intensity and then how fast it faded...

Also, did it fade after 6PM pretty quickly and down to 10-14 by 7PM (Sound right?)

Didn't watch the clock closely but your time frames / velocities feel about right.

We sailed Start-A-BB-A-Finish and I observed the following:

More wind at the start.

Start to A - fairly consistent in the low 20s with gusts to mid and high 20s. Inside boats made out best (current relief no doubt a contributor).

A to BB - mid 20s at A with gusts to low 30s on the way to SF line. Some 13s from YC to BB with about 14 at BB. Course from A to BB was straight (at least I don't remember jibing) with adjustments to accommodate puffs, lulls and waves - had a few really good rides w/ speeds in the 13 - 14 range.

BB to A - pointing at Stearns or just a tad higher the wind was quite fluky ranging from 8 to 16 and steering to, again, accommodate puffs and lulls. More breeze as we worked our way from the YC to A with solid 15 - 17 although a few sizable potholes were hanging around off Ledbetter.

A to Finish - about 12 at A and puffy on the way down. We stuck inside and saw 8 - 10 most of the way (as well as waaaaay too much kelp). Boats outside seemed to have a bit more breeze although not more than a knot or two probably - they jibed off the beach while we were able to stay deep and make the line (although ours was a desperate and ultimately wrong decision).

Correction:

The first time to BB from A we did jibe - once off the beach and then back as we approached the mark.

Addendum:

All sets were jibe sets. I mention this clarify how deep we were able to sail with the chute on the last run. Jibe, set and then work deep enough on port jibe to both clear swim buoys and make the line. Others near us jibed out to duke it out for third place.

This was in the 105 fleet.

Didn't watch the clock closely but your time frames / velocities feel about right.

We sailed Start-A-BB-A-Finish and I observed the following:

More wind at the start.

Start to A - fairly consistent in the low 20s with gusts to mid and high 20s. Inside boats made out best (current relief no doubt a contributor).

A to BB - mid 20s at A with gusts to low 30s on the way to SF line. Some 13s from YC to BB with about 14 at BB. Course from A to BB was straight (at least I don't remember jibing) with adjustments to accommodate puffs, lulls and waves - had a few really good rides w/ speeds in the 13 - 14 range.

BB to A - pointing at Stearns or just a tad higher the wind was quite fluky ranging from 8 to 16 and steering to, again, accommodate puffs and lulls. More breeze as we worked our way from the YC to A with solid 15 - 17 although a few sizable potholes were hanging around off Ledbetter.

A to Finish - about 12 at A and puffy on the way down. We stuck inside and saw 8 - 10 most of the way (as well as waaaaay too much kelp). Boats outside seemed to have a bit more breeze although not more than a knot or two probably - they jibed off the beach while we were able to stay deep and make the line (although ours was a desperate and ultimately wrong decision).

Thank you for the report. That helps a LOT*.

We are very excited that the models were accurate on a micro-scale and that the events matched the modeling to a "T". I think that WxRoute.com has a bright future with this sort of accuracy.

Have a great weekend!

Mark,

Clearing conditions...that is easy.

Your on the hook to forecast the eddy's now.

post-692-1239336336_thumb.jpg

Catalina Airport was interesting at 6:45 pm.

It was 40 degrees off the runway at 20 gusting 30.

In a King Air....no problema.

I thought Packy flew his own planes, or was that for J.R.?

The One Design Regatta on Saturday was a scramble for the Race Committee. Went from a 2 knot easterly to a 22 knot westerly over time. Turned out OK although as PRO I was pretty frustrated trying to second guess the conditions.As it turned out, Sailflow was pretty much right on. After abandoning the first race we managed to get off three when it turned into a strong westerly. Harteck dominated the J/105 class with 3 firsts. Followed by a 3 way tie for 2nd, Rock n' Roll took 2nd with tie breakers. Melges 24s had some hot downwind performances with Lounge Act taking 1st, one point ahead of Average White Boat. Pat Toole took 1st in the J/24 class.

Bonus trophy for the J/105 Class, Harteck won a 12 pack of PEEPS. :)

Rut Roh :o

post-1224-1239720874_thumb.jpg

She's BAACCKKK

So what Jane

Good for her

Hope I'm out stand up paddling when I'm her age

Rut Roh :o

post-1224-1239720874_thumb.jpg

She's BAACCKKK

So what Jane

Good for her

Hope I'm out stand up paddling when I'm her age

Exactly

She's not back Jane, you are. Publishing your piss ant private pet peeve. Why is it so hard to do the right thing and just give it a rest?

h

My God, you guys take yourselves and SA way too seriously.

My response would have been,

What's it rate?

:P

It was a great spectator night. Instead of the usual 70 boats out for Wet Weds, there were about 12. Congrats to the J/105's who had the only fleet turn out, I think about 6, who probably met the max speeds they had ever seen downwind. Average wind was probably around 21 but lots of puffs over 30. The bar was packed with the usual suspects who are usually on the water, Taxi team, Bebe team, Skian Dhu team, Demourkas, Ferdinand crew, etc. It was fun. We watched the J/120 do 3 roundups before the chute blew into pieces. The crowd screamed in the bar. Sort of a blood thursty NASCAR deal. As long as everyone got back to the harbor safely, it was probably worth it. In my younger days I loved the battle with the heavy air elements more than I do now. Being dry and having a marg with friends was more appealing tonight.

Rock n' Roll and Skian Dhu are headed for Newport tomorrow for the Ahmanson Cup. Things should calm down tomorrow for the deliveries. (take care Chris). Looking forward to seeing our out of town sailing pals in the Farr 40 fleet. Yeah.

Rock n' Roll and Skian Dhu are headed for Newport tomorrow for the Ahmanson Cup. Things should calm down tomorrow for the deliveries. (take care Chris). Looking forward to seeing our out of town sailing pals in the Farr 40 fleet. Yeah.

Also Rush Street making the trip to Ahmanson...

Condor,

Good luck on your delivery. It still has not laid down very much! See you in Newport.

post-1224-1239898937.gif

Jane,

Maybe you guys should drink these on blowout nights.

post-692-1239979012.jpg

A few SB boats in the Ensenada Race this year. Good luck to all:

Tranquility, Taxi Dancer, Prevail, Kalimera, Gauntlet,

and (ahem..) Rush street.

Looking to better our 37 hour race last year. This year I'm taking Max's advice.

Low and slow...is the way to go.

Does that mean you are going to fly over in a Cessna 152?

Good luck SBYC boats and sailors!

Low and slow...is the way to go.

Does that mean you are going to fly over in a Cessna 152?

Nooo.

post-692-1240674069_thumb.jpg

So what happened at the front of the pack? Sounded like breeze early and fairly forward... new record? Spill the beans! pun intended...

Ensenada was a blast this year!

Started on a close reach, set a chute about 4 PM. Outside of a few peels up and down, held it all the way to the finish with one jibe in Todos Santos (plus a couple jibes to get clear air when we got too close to Coronado Norte. We ended up splitting the Coronados.)

All the boats in our fleet went very high off the line to get outside. We followed Max's advice and went as rhumb line as possible. We probably sailed about 127 miles on the 125 mile course. Until the morning as we approached Ensenada, it was pole near the headstay spinnaker reaching all night, a lot of time with the wind ahead of the beam.

It was a small-boat race this year. Overall winner for all of PHRF was a Catalina 30 - they got the $5,000 watch award.

Santa Barbara boats corrected out in reverse handicap order. Kalimera (cruising fleet, but never used the motor) corrected on all of us. Rush Street corrected on Tranquility, Taxi Dancer , and Prevail.

We went into the cruiseport marina this year. Great facilities, modern setup with showers, laundry, etc. 10 minute walk to the Bahia. Nice to be at a slip.

Met at the dock by a NOSA inspector to check our safety gear. Good thing I bought those new flares before the race... I asked him how many boats that anchored instead of tying up to a slip were getting inspected. He didn't really answer. From the board, it looked like they did inspections on more than half the boats.

We've lost a couple crew suddenly for Yachting Cup. Anyone interested in sailing in San Diego this week?

Rides to and from should be covered. PM me or call if you'd like to sail.

sent a PM.....

Santa Barbara Anarchists

I'm thinking of a sunday trip down - with wife and 2 kids under 5. Is the Harbor View Inn a good place to stay? We want easy access to the beach(no driving) and a heated kiddie pool - which they have. Other ideas?

Thanks

Mitch- The Harbor View is a safe choice. Check out the Santa Barbara Seashell fleet across the street on Sunday afternoon-- kids sailing Seashells and Sabots with their parents coaching. A good dinner place is Emilio's (not to be confused with Eladio's- which is attached to the hotel). Eladio's has a good breakfast, but there are better dinner places for the money. Good luck.

Congratulations to ChiChi and the Kalimera crew (including Helene & Karen C)! Your first Ensenada Race and 4th overall. Well Done.

post-1224-1241103700.gif

Sanford on Kalimera takes 4th corrected in the N2E.

WELL DONE!

CORRECTION:

On further review of the posted N2E results, Kalimera corrected 4th in class and 6th overall.

This beautiful yacht tied up in Santa Barbara Harbor a few days ago. Pristene, about 80 feet long, named Herona. She's owned by Craig McCaw, ex-Billionaire Boys Club ACC player, One World Challenge. He's looking to buy a nice endtie for this eye candy.

Anyone know more about the boat?

post-1224-1241194265_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1241194281_thumb.jpg

Went out sailing today on "Heroina'. Damn nice and we are racing it Wed! This was German Frers personal boat. It was built 17 years ago in Argentina and has lived in Italy and Spain the last 15 years. Mast is from a "Il Moro De Venezia" maxi boat. 98 feet tall.

Steers like a dream. Powered main halyard and hydraulic jib furler. Did I mention hydraulic Barient Primary winches? How about push button hydraulic mainsheet for the driver. Very nice boat. Cold Molded wood. Amazing down below. Looks like a catalog of perfection. Mostly white.

A little underpowered in 10-12 with the non overlapping jib. Setup for Med sailing in flat water and 12-15. 38 tons. Super easy to sail and tack. Has a Ben Lexcen (Australia II shaped) type winged keel with the reverse angled leading edge. Jib has inflatable battens that are inflated after the jib is unfurled.

It has a ASO spin that we have to try and sort out before wed. They have not used it since Mr. McCaw aquired the boat 8 months ago.

post-692-1241406550_thumb.jpg

post-692-1241406564_thumb.jpg

post-692-1241406573_thumb.jpg

post-692-1241406593_thumb.jpg

post-692-1241406624_thumb.jpg

post-692-1241406641_thumb.jpg

post-692-1241406666_thumb.jpg

Pat Toole and the rest of the Big Dogs had an excellent 1st race at the J/24 Worlds, 9th out of 79, followed by a Z flag penalty in race #2 (bummer)

Better luck today guys!

post-1224-1241538051.jpg

post-1224-1241623499_thumb.jpg

Damn it all. Santa Barbara is on fire AGAIN. I had an evacuation party last night..4 gals, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 3 bottles of Chardonnay. Drink, eat, calm the animals, watch it on tv, sleep. More hot, strong winds predicted for today. UGH. Be safe.

My usual ride is out of town this week, does anyone need crew for today? I'm happy to do anything from the front of the boat to the back, or just sit on the rail and be heavy.

Thx

David

whoa - that fire has done exploded - winds finally came up, right now the east Chanel buoy is showing 30 kts - and wow - the YC is showing a gust to 55 (!?!) - who knows what the winds are like in the mountain tops.

was on my way up to wed nite when the owner called it off 'cause family might need help evacuating - I thought about going to the club and having a beer but was worried about a highway 101 closure - if it got closed it would mean a 200 mile detour thru Bakersfield, so I turned around and went home - but wow, I could see flames from 20 miles away

what is it with the spring fires? The Painted Cave fire was in June, and now this one in early May

whoa - that fire has done exploded - winds finally came up, right now the east Chanel buoy is showing 30 kts - and wow - the YC is showing a gust to 55 (!?!) - who knows what the winds are like in the mountain tops.

was on my way up to wed nite when the owner called it off 'cause family might need help evacuating - I thought about going to the club and having a beer but was worried about a highway 101 closure - if it got closed it would mean a 200 mile detour thru Bakersfield, so I turned around and went home - but wow, I could see flames from 20 miles away

what is it with the spring fires? The Painted Cave fire was in June, and now this one in early May

This fire's a real pistol.

Every time it looks like it's coming under control it rages back.

We evacuated on Tuesday night and have been out since. As far as I can tell, even though the fire has come close, our place is still standing - saw it on TV this morning (we're across the canyon from the reservoir where the choppers suck up water).

It's terrific to be part of the sailing community here - I've had numerous calls and offers of help from many close friends who I sail with. Great support from great people.

Hope everyone affected by this one comes out unscathed.

Point Forecast: 4 Miles N Santa Barbara CA

This Afternoon: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 93. Breezy, with a north wind around 29 mph.

Tonight: Patchy smoke. Clear, with a low around 70. Windy, with a north northeast wind between 33 and 36 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.

Friday: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 95. Windy, with a north northeast wind 28 to 31 mph decreasing to between 13 and 16 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.

ouch

Point Forecast: 4 Miles N Santa Barbara CA

This Afternoon: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 93. Breezy, with a north wind around 29 mph.

Tonight: Patchy smoke. Clear, with a low around 70. Windy, with a north northeast wind between 33 and 36 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.

Friday: Patchy smoke. Sunny, with a high near 95. Windy, with a north northeast wind 28 to 31 mph decreasing to between 13 and 16 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.

ouch

Things are looking very very bad here. The fire is everywhere and expanding on all fronts. I heard that Condor's house is gone as well as several other friends. I am so sorry for all and scared for myself as well. I've been told if I want anything else out of my place to go now. I'm staying put, too crazy, I've got my computer and foul weather gear, maybe even my SA shirt. A group of us are at my sister's on the Mesa along with dogs and cats. 75 houses burned so far and it's hot and windy.

Evacuated my parents house at 8:00 tonight on Cocopah Drive......not far from 154. My 2 year old daughter Carly kept saying "big fire daddy"......."big fire daddy". Many Santa Barbara schools are closed down.

crap, boat partner got evacuated - but smart guy towed the I14 behind the motorhome to his biz parking lot in Goleta, 6 people, 3 dogs, and a cat

he built his house on the san marcos pass expecting fire - stucco, no overhangs, metal railings, fireproof roof, double pane glass, an acre of lawn around the house, strict brush abatement, a pool with gas powered pump for water, and walk-in fire safe. plus he commonly has gatorade and sandwiches for the firefighters - they usually say his house is defend-able - we shall see.

10:30 pm fire still moving rapidly. Cocopah is on tv where Kenny & Jeff O parents live. Air temp is 100 degrees. 8 firefighters injured. manditory evacuation all the way to Patterson ave. in Goleta. Please pray for Santa Barbara.

10:30 pm fire still moving rapidly. Cocopah is on tv where Kenny & Jeff O parents live. Air temp is 100 degrees. 8 firefighters injured. manditory evacuation all the way to Patterson ave. in Goleta. Please pray for Santa Barbara.

this is just so scary!

sorry about the fire up there everyone. stay safe.

on another note, 3 big dogs just won race five at the worlds.

on another note, 3 big dogs just won race five at the worlds.

Are you shittin' me?! That's the best news I've heard in days. I now have a sooty smile. :)

sailed last weekend on J29 Rush Street with some fun people from there

hope my new friends are ok

Carv

Unfortunately Carv, as far as I know, Larry's house burned. :(

sailed last weekend on J29 Rush Street with some fun people from there

hope my new friends are ok

Carv

Unfortunately Carv, as far as I know, Larry's house burned. :(

damn it...I just met these people a week ago today and i'm sitting here in Buffalo watching this on the news

god bless 'em

First, the Swine Flu.

Then, the Fire.

Now, the goddam Touristas :angry: !

post-1614-1241996535_thumb.jpg

I hear that they were switching the routes from San Diego to Santa Barbara since no one wants to go to Mexico anymore. On another shitty note, my parents have to move again. They lost their house Nov of last year on Mountain Drive, now they lost the Garrage at their rental house which contained all of the basis for the utilities to the house. So they have to move again. Good thing I don't leave my boats there otherwise I would of had two chances in less then 6 months to loose them.

Hi, all -

Thanks to all for the good wishes. It's true, the condor roost is toast. We actully found out about it from a pic on the web about 8:30 Wednesday night, around 4 hours after it burned.

But let me tell you about the week. We had a great Yachting Cup, coming second in our fleet to Hot Rum (who I have never beaten around the buoys). Sunday night coming north was beautiful, one of those great nights you get offshore - moon shining on the water, some clouds, not much wind - an easy trip to Avalon. Got some gas, a brief stop in Avalon, and off we go.

Then things started to turn. About 25 miles north of Catalina, the outboard started giving us trouble, finally quitting about 3 PM. Started sailing, and the wind kept building. We hit the coast just up from Pt. Dume, by then the wind's at around 23-27. Beat all the way into Channel Islands harbor, geting in the breakwater after midnight. Winds were above 18 the whole way, and nasty swells to crash through and over.

Newly repaired traveller leaked badly (have to talk to that guy). The vent cap in the foredeck washed out at some point, so we had a three-inch hole in the foredeck while taking on green water on many waves. Everything wet below.

Went back on Tuesday and hauled everything out and dried as much as possible. Got the call that a fire was starting while doing that. By the time I got home, we're in the evac area. We stayed until Wednesday afternoon when the winds kicked up. House probably went up within an hour after we left.

My brother in Singapore found this one on the web after I told him. It's our house:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sb...05233.htmlstory

Everyone's safe, boat came home yesterday, so we're getting along. Big new project to tackle now...

Thanks again to everyone for all the good wishes and thoughts. We'll see you on Wednesday.

I hear that they were switching the routes from San Diego to Santa Barbara since no one wants to go to Mexico anymore. On another shitty note, my parents have to move again. They lost their house Nov of last year on Mountain Drive, now they lost the Garrage at their rental house which contained all of the basis for the utilities to the house. So they have to move again. Good thing I don't leave my boats there otherwise I would of had two chances in less then 6 months to loose them.

"Santa Barbara- where old people go to visit their parents"....

Sorry about your parents' troubles, though. let's hope that the fires are gone for a loooong time... :D

What happened to the rumour one of these is coming to SB?

Condor...sorry the nest is toast.

post-692-1242360226_thumb.jpg

2004 Ensenada Race finish getting the sqeeze play on the J-92 Puka Wai.

post-692-1242530724_thumb.jpg

Sooo, did anyone do the Hardway Race yesterday? I was stuck in my office, but it looked like 3 knots of wind from here to Santa Cruz Island. :(

I sailed the UCSB Sailing Alumni regatta yesterday. The current team provided a great lunch spread at the dock, rigged the boats, provided great race management and supplied wonderful and friendly current sailors to crew for us old-timers. I didn't attend the post race BBQ, but I'm sure the fun times got better.

I was thoroughly impressed with the maturity of the current sailing team. Falling around in an FJ after so long couldn't have been more fun!

Good on 'ya JAG. A few more weeks till the gals start sailing Flippin Fridays on the FJ's. We have found it difficult to race and drink at the same time in those little frackers.

Mr. and Mrs. Thump checked out a power boat in Oxnard yesterday. Rut Roh. :huh:

Any results on the Skiff Regatta? Looked like a good turnout.

skiff regatta report

two days on the water in light air - not much over 6 to 8 kts - sometimes down to about 2 kts - foggy on the water - sunny on the launch ramp

plus a moth guy ( SA poster black Pearl - no foiling at all)

7 races for the 11 I14s and 8 races for the 16 29ers

two I14s battled for the top spot - trading 1s and 2s

Max Fraser & David Leibenberg got 1st in the 29ers by 3 pts

- O toole and H Henken got 2nd in the 29ers in a tie breaker - after taking two DNSs

edit - results -http://www.sbyc.org/2009_05_17_Skiff_Fest_Scores.pdf

Saturday was a bit crazy on the water - skiff guys, loads of collage sailors, and a bunch of outrigger canoe guys racing – best wind of the day was back in the sunshine in the harbor on the way in

skiff regatta report

two days on the water in light air - not much over 6 to 8 kts - sometimes down to about 2 kts - foggy on the water - sunny on the launch ramp

plus a moth guy ( SA poster black Pearl - no foiling at all)

7 races for the 11 I14s and 8 races for the 16 29ers

two I14s battled for the top spot - trading 1s and 2s

Max Fraser & David Leibenberg got 1st in the 29ers by 3 pts

- O toole and H Henken got 2nd in the 29ers in a tie breaker - after taking two DNSs

edit - results -http://www.sbyc.org/2009_05_17_Skiff_Fest_Scores.pdf

Had fun for about 30 mins Saturday afternoon. Enough wind by the pier to foil around, but if I went out too far to the fog line, splash low riding again. Still fun to be there and meet new skiffies. Biggest learning of the weekend, how to back down the Moth to get the kelp off the foils... :)

Good to met you Pete, if you ever need a crew, PM me...

The Moth Guy

Max,

You could at least attempt to match the boat photo to the subject at hand. B)

post-1224-1242750589_thumb.jpg

www.williamsphoto.com

Hmmm.

max, fill us in on the rumor of who is bringing a 52 to santa barbara. seems as if you want to share.

Not yet Little Grasshopper.

Hmmm.

max, fill us in on the rumor of who is bringing a 52 to santa barbara. seems as if you want to share.

The Doc?

Hmmm.

The Doc?

naw, she's having "fun" with DC lately...

There is a story with this.

post-692-1242875046_thumb.jpg

First to name this couple wins a drink at the club!

post-15064-1243137853_thumb.jpg

Other news... thumper was sold today to a nice navy pilot. She's planning on sailing the boat in SB and hopes to make new friends and learn the ropes on the Melges. Also heard Dr. Laura was out for a ride on another M24 today and interested in the class. With new boats showing up from Cabo and renewed interest perhaps the momentum is swinging to the M24 SB fleet!

thump

No Way!! Say it isn't true Jane.

First to name this couple wins a drink at the club!

post-15064-1243137853_thumb.jpg

Other news... thumper was sold today to a nice navy pilot. She's planning on sailing the boat in SB and hopes to make new friends and learn the ropes on the Melges. Also heard Dr. Laura was out for a ride on another M24 today and interested in the class. With new boats showing up from Cabo and renewed interest perhaps the momentum is swinging to the M24 SB fleet!

thump