Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

a few more boats might have helped the PHRF B-C classes. Might not have. Some of the 30-35' warhorses were classed with 53' Swanns. Seems like that kind of grouping is what you would expect for beer cans or low turn out local stuff rather than a 104 boat race. Not a hell of a lot you can do against water line when so much of the course is reaching.

Both clubs were great hosts. You can't beat a help yourself keg of Fat-tire.

I think the SB-KH race organizers did a great job of breaking all the diversity into classes and I would not be surprised to see NOSA do something similar. The Sprit-UL PHRF class boats are great fun, but they are, as you say, “freaks” when it comes to downwind races.

+1

Just be glad there wasn't a well-prepped Cheetah 30 and the Martin 243 in the mix as well. My take, that class is the class to be in because they are the most fun boats to sail downwind. I'd bet that the J125 would have been pretty tough to beat last year if it had been there. All of the boats have their conditions where some are displacing and some are planing. Such is PHRF racing. If the wind shut off at 9:30-10pm as normal, the J125 would have walked away with trophies.

Oh yeah, nice job Teddles!

Normally every well sailed boat will have its day. If it was light going from the start line to the oil rigs like it normally is the J 125 would have been gone.....end of story. It wasn't. Thats handicap racing. :)

Maybe,

But if you can check the "I plane in 12-15" box, you should be racing others like you.

The 125 is closer to a Farr 40 than a Melges 24..you think?

Farr 40 Performance factor- 3.59

J-125 Performance factor- 4.75

When does a Farr 40 start planing? How much time should the J-125 owe a Farr 40 in King Harbor? In my opinion, about 12 seconds a mile. PHRF says otherwise, but what do I know...

as soon as you show me where i'm wrong, let me know. otherwise fuck off.

Who cares... it's PHRF for gawds sake. get over yourself. You don't see kernan on here crying

i'm not crying, dickhead. go ask tim what he thinks of the viper rating....

NP - I'll ask him and maybe he'll say the rating is way off, but that's not my point, what I said was it's PH, stop whining like you have a bad yeast infection...

Ballbreaker

Group: Members

Member No.: 5471

Normally every well sailed boat will have its day. If it was light going from the start line to the oil rigs like it normally is the J 125 would have been gone.....end of story. It wasn't. Thats handicap racing. smile.gif

Not sure what your are saying here. Lighter conditions would favour the J-125? For sure the light start in this years Transpac did not favour the J-125.

Edit: this is the post I meant to respond to.

HITCHHIKER: A J125 sailing upwind in light air with a 155% genoa is plenty fast. I Viper 830 sailing upwind in light air with a little jib is slow. Did the J125 sail with a 155% genoa? Probably not :blink:

he didn't beat us over the line - we were like 10 seconds in front of him which really sucked after being a good bit in front all day long. i dig kernan and i know he's a good sailor, but anarchy was faster. i'm sure we won the race to the island, down the backside and halfway home. then that fucking viper came from at least 5 minutes behind us and just sailed up to and away from us like we were tied to the post. i can't stand phrf and it is exactly because of things like the viper. it rated 39 for downwind and i would estimate that it was sailing to a -12. seriously. ask anyone in our class - and almost all of them superbly sailed - just how fast that thing was. blowing about 14 true - straight forward boat speed it just sailed away. admittedly we blew it a bit at the end, but it beat us by 30 minutes on elapsed time. with that rating, it's not even close.

the rest of us all seemed about right rating wise. and the melges 24 downwind rating of 54 might seem stiff mr. clean, but as you know the things are very quick when well sailed and this one clearly was.

this is a great event and we'll be there again next year, but they have some work to do in terms of class breakdowns - why were we not racing against mumm 30's? - and one obvious. glaring rating inequality needs to be addressed.

Can I have some of the shit you are smoking? - it must be good............

Handicap racing has some "horses for courses" aspect to it and certainly the Viper will plane much earlier than the FT so in a very narrow band it will own the FT BFB in other conditions not so much. Maybe it was also the crew, who sailed to a minus 12 while you guys didn't?

Maybe,

But if you can check the "I plane in 12-15" box, you should be racing others like you.

When does a Farr 40 start planing? How much time should the J-125 owe a Farr 40 in King Harbor? In my opinion, about 12 seconds a mile. PHRF says otherwise, but what do I know...

Farr 40...when I did the SB-KH on one a few years back, it planed in 21 knots. When the wind went to 21 knots we were doing 17 steady.

Now that the Farr 40 has Masthead chutes, I have heard that number is 18 knots it starts to plane.

More like 20-21 to really "plane" as that word applies to a keelboat. 18 with good waves gives regular surfing. We saw the Viper all afternoon near us and matching our speed easily. Didn't know what it rated. The Melgi also matched us in speed both to and from the island. Sailed on the tight reach with them for an extended period of time dead even only a couple boatlengths apart. Reality is that the aso boats with sprits are well suited to this race. Happy we raced OD!

Maybe,

Farr 40...when I did the SB-KH on one a few years back, it planed in 21 knots. When the wind went to 21 knots we were doing 17 steady.

Now that the Farr 40 has Masthead chutes, I have heard that number is 18 knots it starts to plane.

More like 20-21 to really "plane" as that word applies to a keelboat. 18 with good waves gives regular surfing. We saw the Viper all afternoon near us and matching our speed easily. Didn't know what it rated. The Melgi also matched us in speed both to and from the island. Sailed on the tight reach with them for an extended period of time dead even only a couple boatlengths apart. Reality is that the aso boats with sprits are well suited to this race. Happy we raced OD!

Dave -

Great race and congrats on your class win. Those masthead kites really made the difference - we had no chance of staying with you guys. Messed around with the trailers of your class for awhile - than they just left us as you got lifted before Anacapa.

I am not convinced that you should rate faster than a J125 in Random/OWC courses. The J125's corrected out on me by 30+ seconds per mile - Warrior corrected out on you by approx. 10 seconds per mile (14 minutes ahead on corrected).

Cheers,

opusone

Maybe,

You all were having a frank and honest discussion, when those with boats decided that maybe SoCal PHRF might be watching and that they were being a little too honest…, and then the bullshit started.

J.A.G. is spot on and SoCal PHRF is watching.

Maybe,

You all were having a frank and honest discussion, when those with boats decided that maybe SoCal PHRF might be watching and that they were being a little too honest…, and then the bullshit started.

J.A.G. is spot on and SoCal PHRF is watching.

You make a good point - but that assumes that SoCal PHRF is objective - and that they use displacement, sail area, length, etc in approaching the capabilities of the boats they are rating. So far - no evidence of that.

SoCal PHRF should go to the New England PHRF website and follow their guidelines (IMHO). Seems to me NEPHRF have it figured out more than SoCal PHRF.

Perhaps they are not perfect - but there appears to be far less criticism about NEPHRF, the Mid West PHRF or NorCal. At least it will partially nationalize the rating system. NorCal PHRF appears closer in line with NEPHRF - or so it seems with the few boats I reviewed.

This topic should probably have its own thread - sorry to muddy the water in your Santa Barbara Thread.

Thanks for the great race -

Cheers,

opusone

This reminds me of the discussion we had aboard my dad's Erickson 35 32 years ago (last time I did the SB-KH) when we had to race against a couple of Santa Cruz 27s and Moore 24s in our class for the first time.....both those boats rated about level with the Erickson 35 at that time (PHRF 150). Hopeless (for us) was what it was.

I look forward to racing SB-KH next year in my freak sprit boat. Maybe we can get a bunch of the FTs up for the event next year.

HITCHHIKER: A J125 sailing upwind in light air with a 155% genoa is plenty fast. I Viper 830 sailing upwind in light air with a little jib is slow. Did the J125 sail with a 155% genoa? Probably not :blink:

Problem here is this was a downwind rating race and those were the ratings used.

Also, the 125's and almost all others used a better jib/spin...the Code Zero. The Viper is a 28 foot boat and is obviously slower than ANY 40 foot boat upwind. Since we all were reaching and this is what was weird, the Viper went way high on the reach to the island. Sailed the leg all wrong and was pretty far behind the 125, we had to use binoculars to see the FT 10 and the FT 10 said they had to use bino's to see the Viper. As soon as we all passed Anacapa...the Viper made up 30 minutes on the 125.

That Viper is a freak.

It sounds like the Vipe encountered the perfect wind band in which they were planning and no one else was. Is that what happened? Maybe the situation was exacerbated by the almost complete lack of waves, which prevented the slightly heavier boats (like the FT, J/125 and Col 30) from breaking loose more often?

I tend to agree with MM and the Ed that there should be a "Super 30" class (which would include Farr 30s, Hendos, etc) without the J/125, but I'm coming at this from another angle: in the right conditions, the J/125 will kill the super 30s. It works both ways: there will be races in which the super 30s do well and there will be other races in which the J/125 does well. Waterline lengths are just too different to group the J/125 with the super 30s. Sorting out the ratings within the super 30 class is another order of business. There is probably a lot of data from Oz and Nz on this, as well as the PNW (they had a super 30 class in WIRW).

This reminds me of the discussion we had aboard my dad's Erickson 35 32 years ago (last time I did the SB-KH) when we had to race against a couple of Santa Cruz 27s and Moore 24s in our class for the first time.....both those boats rated about level with the Erickson 35 at that time (PHRF 150). Hopeless (for us) was what it was.

I look forward to racing SB-KH next year in my freak sprit boat. Maybe we can get a bunch of the FTs up for the event next year.

Paul,

Lets do it...I'm down. To really sweeten the deal I could talk to SBYC to see if they could get us a OD start for the Fiesta Cup the weekend prior although I know it may be tough for the out of towners. Did it this year with the Farr 40's and SBYC really throws a great event. Beach party afterwards, live band, free beer.....perfect Santa Barbara weather. It's a OD regatta and this year they hosted the Farr 40's, J105's, and Melges 24's. Great venue.

Hey Scott,

Did I read a good sportsman like congradulations in your post anywhere to the boys (and 13 yr old girl) on Plankton, all three of them. You bought an OD boat so I don't understand all the ratings BS going on here. FYI if you want to sail faster don't have your pro's out till the wee hours boozin it up. I think flats of beer and Bloodys the morning of are not speed enhancing. Everytime you win it's well deserved, when you don't just tip your hat and figure out where you gave it away. I'd bet ya you did not work your boat around that course as much as the Viper crew did.

Question: Did the Viper sail much higher and then pop the kite, planing down to victory? What about the FT and J/125s? Did they just sail rhumb and plod along at 10 knots straight to the barn? If so, would a high reach + planing reach have worked better? Or would the FT have done fine if it had four less crew?

In other words, was the boat that much faster, or was the course faster?

First of all I would like to thank everyone that goes on this forum strictly to bitch about ratings, you are the guys that are keeping PHRF alive.

Had a great KH race this year, finished at 10:22 the second fastest I've made it in a Melges in five years. First year we have been able to come off the start line with a kite and by far the best wind after dark I've ever seen. On the way to the island we had a nice ride right next to the Farr 40's the whole time. Had the first place boat in their fleet pinned below us for half the channel, they finally squeezed out and beat us to the west end by a couple hundred yards. At the tip of the island the tiger was a mile ahead, viper was ten feet behind us and the columbia a quarter mile behind. Five miles later by the time we exited the island back into the channel the tiger was about the same distance ahead, the columbia was a boat length to leeward and both boats sailing a deeper course. At this point the viper had passed us and put a mile on us sailing the same deep course as the other two. There rating had them giving us sixteen seconds a mile. Probably not fair for the conditions but give us eight more knots and we would have been smoking by as their bukheads seperated. We sailed the highest track out of anyone we could see and made landfall right above the dune and jybed off the beach. The wind had slowly built as we crossed but never got above about 16kts. At points we had a person behind the driver and were pressing hard but for the most part we were weight forward in marginal planning mode at 10-11kts. Did four sets of jybes down the coast with our last one being right at dume. Sailed half way across the bay, took one last hitch for fifteen minutes and headed into the night. Got a nice lift at about 9:30 with six miles to go, gybed on it and rode it to the finish. Easiest King harbor I've ever done.

We saw the FT until dark but lost track of the columbia and viper before we made landfall, you guys want to share your courses with the rest of us?

post-25624-1249415199_thumb.jpg

post-25624-1249415217_thumb.jpg

First of all I would like to thank everyone that goes on this forum strictly to bitch about ratings, you are the guys that are keeping PHRF alive.

Had a great KH race this year, finished at 10:22 the second fastest I've made it in a Melges in five years. First year we have been able to come off the start line with a kite and by far the best wind after dark I've ever seen. On the way to the island we had a nice ride right next to the Farr 40's the whole time. Had the first place boat in their fleet pinned below us for half the channel, they finally squeezed out and beat us to the west end by a couple hundred yards. At the tip of the island the tiger was a mile ahead, viper was ten feet behind us and the columbia a quarter mile behind. Five miles later by the time we exited the island back into the channel the tiger was about the same distance ahead, the columbia was a boat length to leeward and both boats sailing a deeper course. At this point the viper had passed us and put a mile on us sailing the same deep course as the other two. There rating had them giving us sixteen seconds a mile. Probably not fair for the conditions but give us eight more knots and we would have been smoking by as their bukheads seperated. We sailed the highest track out of anyone we could see and made landfall right above the dune and jybed off the beach. The wind had slowly built as we crossed but never got above about 16kts. At points we had a person behind the driver and were pressing hard but for the most part we were weight forward in marginal planning mode at 10-11kts. Did four sets of jybes down the coast with our last one being right at dume. Sailed half way across the bay, took one last hitch for fifteen minutes and headed into the night. Got a nice lift at about 9:30 with six miles to go, gybed on it and rode it to the finish. Easiest King harbor I've ever done.

We saw the FT until dark but lost track of the columbia and viper before we made landfall, you guys want to share your courses with the rest of us?

Nice summary. I agree, it would be great for others to give their story. We can all learn from these write-ups...

Paul,

Lets do it...I'm down. To really sweeten the deal I could talk to SBYC to see if they could get us a OD start for the Fiesta Cup the weekend prior although I know it may be tough for the out of towners. Did it this year with the Farr 40's and SBYC really throws a great event. Beach party afterwards, live band, free beer.....perfect Santa Barbara weather. It's a OD regatta and this year they hosted the Farr 40's, J105's, and Melges 24's. Great venue.

Definitely. Fiesta might be tough with summer vacation schedules but sounds fun, so certainly worth discussing. How about the "FT Coastal Triple Crown Series" (BR, SB-KH, SD-En). It's eventually going to nuke on one of those and we don't want to miss an epic....

I suspect that I will be running the event again next year and we would be happy to have another one-design fleet join in Fiesta Cup. I will contact the fleet next year with an invitation. Your job is to get them all to come. Thanks for the nice comments about this year's event. That always helps too! :D

See scot-that's how it's done- no whining, just a cool, calm, we had a good race how about everyone else? good times

Nice report Gecko!

post-1224-1249503587.jpg

It was also great that they got the Youth Foundation kids out to watch and experience the starts of 100 boats. :)

post-1224-1249503670_thumb.jpg

On the Comanche (Columbia) we never saw anything over 16 either. But it was solid breeze the whole way and a nice early finish. For us the race began at the Doubletree hotel on Cabrillo where we returned the rental car- one day rental from SD kept another day and returned several hundred miles north in SB. Nice girl at Hertz took a liking to us- total cost? 40 bucks. Check. Then convinced the chick at the doubletree restaurant to give us some bloodies to go in venti starbucks cups. Check. Turning out great so far. Bought a case of beer at the mart. Check. Comanche was tied up next to MAG 80 because Dodd and the Mag 80 crew are such solid bros that they dragged the boat up from the LBC, launched it and rigged it for us cause we were late getting out of town on Thurs. Look on Baker's face as we strolled onto the Magnitude- priceless. That guy is cool. So we got a good start on the line where we wanted. I didn't think there would be much of a lift at Anacapa this year so we were favoring a higher course. Set the zero right after the start and started motoring. We liked where we were. As we approached the rock we were getting lifted and and we could see the boats well to leeward getting lifted I'd say fifteen degrees. They weren't laying but the lift showed up in their favor. Still good we peeled to the 1A about 30min too late. If we had peeled earlier we would have rounded with Anarchy and the other boats. Timed the jibe well after the rock- because of the wind direction there was a shadow close to shore which hurt the inside boats. My analysis of the weather showed a gradient wind and because of direction a nice wind channel essentially just to west of the shipping channel. We stuck to the plan and jibed along this line which was essentially rhumbline while all the other boats went for pt Dume. We were the outside boat in our class, kept jibing on the pressure and made great time. We lost track of the inside boats. Coming out of the dark in KH we starting seeing some larger boats and figured we were in good shape. The we hit a freaking kelp island that totally stopped the boat. We never fully got the kelp cleared off the rudder all the way to the finish. It was right then we saw the Anarchy sneak up. Congrats to the John and the Plankton- they always sail a great race. No doubt the Viper is a weapon in those conditions. Much more breeze or waves I think they would have been wiping out. Second year for us as the bridesmaid-we'll be back next year. TK

Damn, I knew this was the year to take the Mac26Turbo! Could'a smoked the shite out of the Wiper! How much time allowance was I due for the use of the engine? :blink:

post-1614-1249537049_thumb.jpg

On the Comanche (Columbia) we never saw anything over 16 either. But it was solid breeze the whole way and a nice early finish. For us the race began at the Doubletree hotel on Cabrillo where we returned the rental car- one day rental from SD kept another day and returned several hundred miles north in SB. Nice girl at Hertz took a liking to us- total cost? 40 bucks. Check. Then convinced the chick at the doubletree restaurant to give us some bloodies to go in venti starbucks cups. Check. Turning out great so far. Bought a case of beer at the mart. Check. Comanche was tied up next to MAG 80 because Dodd and the Mag 80 crew are such solid bros that they dragged the boat up from the LBC, launched it and rigged it for us cause we were late getting out of town on Thurs. Look on Baker's face as we strolled onto the Magnitude- priceless. That guy is cool. So we got a good start on the line where we wanted. I didn't think there would be much of a lift at Anacapa this year so we were favoring a higher course. Set the zero right after the start and started motoring. We liked where we were. As we approached the rock we were getting lifted and and we could see the boats well to leeward getting lifted I'd say fifteen degrees. They weren't laying but the lift showed up in their favor. Still good we peeled to the 1A about 30min too late. If we had peeled earlier we would have rounded with Anarchy and the other boats. Timed the jibe well after the rock- because of the wind direction there was a shadow close to shore which hurt the inside boats. My analysis of the weather showed a gradient wind and because of direction a nice wind channel essentially just to west of the shipping channel. We stuck to the plan and jibed along this line which was essentially rhumbline while all the other boats went for pt Dume. We were the outside boat in our class, kept jibing on the pressure and made great time. We lost track of the inside boats. Coming out of the dark in KH we starting seeing some larger boats and figured we were in good shape. The we hit a freaking kelp island that totally stopped the boat. We never fully got the kelp cleared off the rudder all the way to the finish. It was right then we saw the Anarchy sneak up. Congrats to the John and the Plankton- they always sail a great race. No doubt the Viper is a weapon in those conditions. Much more breeze or waves I think they would have been wiping out. Second year for us as the bridesmaid-we'll be back next year. TK

Class all the way, WD Tim

Damn, I knew this was the year to take the Mac26Turbo! Could'a smoked the shite out of the Wiper! How much time allowance was I due for the use of the engine? :blink:

Award for the most original post of the year!

Well done Bobo

Making fun of the Mac26, freaking hilarious! Too damn funny!

It appears that the sailors who went over to Catalina after King Harbor are having a rough time getting home. Yabs, Bren and the Young boys met with big seas and 30 knots trying to get their power boats back to SB. Supossedly Yabs took over 10 hours instead of the usual 2.5 hours.

BARF bag anyone? :(

It appears that the sailors who went over to Catalina after King Harbor are having a rough time getting home. Yabs, Bren and the Young boys met with big seas and 30 knots trying to get their power boats back to SB. Supossedly Yabs took over 10 hours instead of the usual 2.5 hours.

They should've stuck around...we're sipping rum drinks right now side tied to Grand Times and getting ready to head over to Descanso for the Friday night bbq... wind and seas should lay down tomorrow!

post-15064-1249691757_thumb.jpg

They should've stuck around...we're sipping rum drinks right now side tied to Grand Times and getting ready to head over to Descanso for the Friday night bbq... wind and seas should lay down tomorrow!

post-15064-1249691757_thumb.jpg

G, Are you allowed to post on a SAILING website anymore??? :P

Glad you guys are having fun. Sorry that we couldn't join you.

We went to the Fiesta parade today. Saw a horse attached to a carriage freak out and bolt up State St.-- almost running into the crowd. One woman was slightly injured according to the news. Certainly a buzz kill but could have been much worse. Dachsunds are much safer than horses! Have a safe trip.

Fiesta!!!

It was smoking the last 2 days in the channel. I flew over these area's and it was as windy as it ever gets. Those guys got their lumps for sure. NASTY.

Ironic that wind spoiled the new powerboaters affair!

Remember watching a youtube video (cockpit view)of a night landing (commercial jet) at the Aspen airport. Not much room for error, especially at night, but I'm no pilot.

Here it is - FLIR split panel:

For all the story's about the SB-KH race and the boats that did or did'nt get their best race, John Staff from the Viper 830 "PLANKTON" wrote a report for Ullman Sails Newport Beach about his trip. Everyone had good reports about the race, it will continue to be a great race to attend...go to http://www.ullmansailsnewportbeach.com for John's report!

See you all on the water soon! BC

Hey Bruiser,

Good to see you on the SB thread. Hope to see you in the flesh soon. Thanks for the linkey.

post-1224-1250004175.jpg

Sailed On Elixer (Jeanneau 49) and we had a great race. Was nice to see separation of PHRF from ULDB's. For the big boys this just made sense and we had our day downwind to capture our class and PHRF Overall. I think breaking out the classes is important for the sport. For the big boys forking out big dollars to race and to get beat by less expensive sport boats for overall trophy's just does not feel in the spirit of handicap Yacht Racing, especially in traditional downwind races. Just my opinion. Well done John and family. Your a class fellow that knows how to win Yacht Races.

Well done SB and KH. Must say loved the free Latte's before the race. Nice touch. One of the most beautiful offshore races I have ever done. Not quite the Organs off Tasmania but the Islands are pretty special.

Off to fly one of these today.

Good grief Max, isn't there a flying anarchy somewhere?

Here's a picture of Doug Deaver's cool helicopter taking pictures of Fiesta Cup. (photo by Sharon Green)

post-1224-1250029224_thumb.jpg

Sailed On Elixer (Jeanneau 49) and we had a great race. Was nice to see separation of PHRF from ULDB's. For the big boys this just made sense and we had our day downwind to capture our class and PHRF Overall. I think breaking out the classes is important for the sport. For the big boys forking out big dollars to race and to get beat by less expensive sport boats for overall trophy's just does not feel in the spirit of handicap Yacht Racing, especially in traditional downwind races. Just my opinion. Well done John and family. Your a class fellow that knows how to win Yacht Races.

Wow--- hmmmmm-- Nope-- not gonna bite---

Carry on!

Well done SB and KH. Must say loved the free Latte's before the race. Nice touch. One of the most beautiful offshore races I have ever done. Not quite the Organs off Tasmania but the Islands are pretty special.

actually it's exactly what handicap racing is

I don't think the big boys forking out big dollars would have been upset if the conditions were different and they crushed the less expensive sport boats by 2 hours corrected, do you?

Hey Dude...

Is that a man-ssier that you're wearing?

Things start to sag as we grow older.

post-1224-1250092196_thumb.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

hmmm, is something burning ? I smell bacon.

Keep your shirt on. Love ya'

I don't think the big boys forking out big dollars would have been upset if the conditions were different and they crushed the less expensive sport boats by 2 hours corrected, do you?

What the race will have an upwind component (Which I doubt is expected in any SB/KH Race given the prevailing) that way would be fair against the downwind light flyers no? You want to have a fair handicap Race go both ways, otherwise in my humble opinion in a traditional (and expected) downwind race it makes sense to break out ULDB's.

Fun Wet Wed.

Fog and more fog. Love it when the conditions make it bizarre.

Nice 10-13 knots and very spectacular scenery sailing in and out of the fog.

Boy, SB sure greened up well after all those fires, must have had some good rain this summer :rolleyes:

Janer

Was referring to Max's post and photo

Not SB

Not 10 - 13 knots

I guess both posts = Fail

Well...quite true

Max has always been quite dyslexic trying to match a photo to the subject at hand.

He probably had trouble with the round peg in the square hole as a child. :(

Nice racing in SB Yesterday! SB PH Champs.

Congrat Team Skian Dhu! First Place.

Congrats Team Blue Blazes! Firsta PH B!

10-12 knots all day. Little hazy.

Great racing. Thanks Dana and SBYC RC helpers.

Good bar scene afterwards!

Fun get together at the the Colahan's later sampling vintners reserves......my head hurts today!

Just another great day in paradise with a bunch of cool friends.

Fun get together at the the Colahan's later sampling vintners reserves......my head hurts today!

And great kudos to Dana for running the committee boat alone - setting the start and finish lines, running six starts (calling me over early once - damn!), getting all the finish times, and coordinating the mark boat to keep the course square.

One of our crew suggested in the middle of one start - Dana holding a stopwatch, the signal flag that's up, and sighting the line - that we go by and ask if he had a match!

Great work, Dana! And thanks to the helpers in the mark boat...

BTW Max, that's Blues Crews, not Blue Blazes, but thanks for the kudos anyway. B)

How about.......Blues Crews Blazes?

Wine and Roses results?

anyone?

Bueler?

H16s:

1st Petron

2nd Rex Miller

3rd Jeff Perlmutter (I think?)

F18s:

1st Key/Williams

2nd Thomas/Bernier

3rd DeLave/Haubl (I think?)

South wins the North/South Challenge.

Great weekend, light breezes, lots of free salad in the right-hand corner. Harteck and SBYC are killer hosts.

Well.............what place did Harteck get? :blink:

Well……….. who said Mr. Cheatings “time out” is over? Go put your nose back in the circle on the blackboard.

Who said you could come in here and be dick?

Fuck off

any weeknight races going on this week? I am in town. I sailed a J24 a year or 2 back last time I was here for a Wednesday night. I game for almost anything, but prefer one design. What are the fleets going these days? Anyone need crew? PM.

Well...................? ;)

Some yacht clubs post the results on their web site

I guess some don't...

Harteck was back in the results - his boat was set up for heavy air the whole first day even though we only saw about 12 knots. His rig had less than an inch of spreader rake and his diamonds were off - that wigged out his main luff. Sunday morning he did some tuning and went much better, even though the wind was off, which used to be his Achilles heel. We miss Larry in the cat fleet - he needs to put the big boats away and start going fast again. I only get to see that guy once a year anymore, but every time it's a pleasure.

Well...................? ;)

Some yacht clubs post the results on their web site

I guess some don't...

Kelp,

This event is not organized or run by SBYC. Results are posted on the web site for all SBYC events.

Saturday is the annual Shalhoob Women's Invitational this year being raced in FJ's. Six great teams have signed up so far and it's gonna be fun!

post-1224-1250699133.jpg

post-1224-1250699155.jpg

Harteck was back in the results - his boat was set up for heavy air the whole first day even though we only saw about 12 knots. His rig had less than an inch of spreader rake and his diamonds were off - that wigged out his main luff. Sunday morning he did some tuning and went much better, even though the wind was off, which used to be his Achilles heel. We miss Larry in the cat fleet - he needs to put the big boats away and start going fast again. I only get to see that guy once a year anymore, but every time it's a pleasure.

You may get another chance to whip his ass in Long Beach. An Infusion may be in the old man's future along with young Alex.

Any races wednessday night?

Races start this afternoon at about 5:20. Suggest you go down to the harbor and lurk on the breakwater near SBYC. Let folks know you are looking for a spot. There's Melges 24, J 105, and J 24 fleets in onedesign, plus three PHRF fleets and a cruiser's fleet.

Be on the breakwater by 4:00 or 4:15 and you should find a spot.

Well it looked like it was going to be a great night.

Not so much for some of us.

We on the Farr 40 had our mast crane break before the race started so we limped into the

harbor. Ugh. Thats gonna take some time & money.

The red J/145 had an injury on board and was met at the dock by an ambulance.

That left Taxi and Warrior to race. Taxi's tactics were on the bong side of smart so yeah

it was an easy victory for the boys in the bicycle shirts (not to be confused or associated with

the men in black).

Fast Tango won B Fleet, Mar Caballo C Fleet, Kalimera CHRF. Johnny D won J/105's, Pat Toole

first in J/24's and Bill Lannan 1st in Melges 24.

We on the Farr 40 had our mast crane break before the race started so we limped into the

That left Taxi and Warrior to race. Taxi's tactics were on the bong side of smart so yeah

it was an easy victory for the boys in the bicycle shirts (not to be confused or associated with

the men in black).

Fast Tango won B Fleet, Mar Caballo C Fleet, Kalimera CHRF. Johnny D won J/105's, Pat Toole

Ahem...Janer....you for got who won A class.

And...easy victory?

I would love to see you beat Taxi and call it easy!

Lastly, as to your comments about our Kit. At least the owner gives us some :-)

the men in black).

Ahem...Janer....you for got who won A class.

And...easy victory?

I would love to see you beat Taxi and call it easy!

Lastly, as to your comments about our Kit. At least the owner gives us some :-)

And we all know how important it is to have the crew looking good for a race.

It makes the boat go faster.

Nice huh? Living in First Class.

BTW I heard you got a new pool..... :rolleyes:

post-692-1250890546_thumb.jpg

Some people go sailing!

Great women's regatta on Saturday. Many thanks to the Dos Pueblos High School sailing team for doing RC. That was a first.

Also a first for the Shalhoob Women's Invitational to be held in FJ's and it was a blast. Weather varied between squals and lulls and lots of shifts.

Congrats to Leslie Deardorff and daughter Emma for taking first in the 5 race series. Heidi Zizkind second, Andria Mills third, Sally Gilmour fourth, Becky Harteck with Donna Romani fifth and Sharon Green with Julie Tomlinson in sixth. I crewed for Andria. Lots of laughing on the course except when some Ahole jet skier decided to do some figure 8's. Thanks to all the spectator fleet too. Racing was followed by pizza and champagne at the Club.

SB out of towners last weekend included 3 J/105's (Rock n'Roll, Short Skirt and Free Enterprise) who all traveled to Long Beach for the last of the J/105 So Cal 2009 Championship Series. The event was won by Chuck Driscoll & Tom Hurlburt of San Diego YC.

Free Enterprise did well with 4th out of the 19 entries. Alex Rasmussen, Tedd White and the rest of the crew recently won the Fiesta Cup in Santa Barbara. Nice work! Short Skirt was 11th and Rock & Roll 15th.

post-1224-1251134537_thumb.jpg

Free Enterprise (blue hull) action shot by Sharon Green

Goleta Beach Race and Tri Tip BBQ this weekend!

PS Just a cool picture. Friends who were on Mag 80 in this shot said they were doing steady 23-28 knots here!

post-692-1251255628_thumb.jpg

Bummer. I was wondering why Short Skirt did not start the last race.

Great, excellent video of our pals on Taxi. Love it!!

The Taxi crew was delightful, both on and off the water. Go figure. And, you should know that they "danced" way more than the video shows.

Have to say that was the most fun regatta I've had the chance to attend. Huge thanks to Tom Parker for taking the initiative to assemble such a "motley crew" as Lisa Yabsley called it.

The yacht club outposts at Moonstone and Whites were killer. I think it was unanimous that we dug Moonstone the most between the two outpost. It must have been the years of having the rocky beach and smaller lot size, compared to Whites, that compelled them to pay so much attention to the details. Hopefully SBYC can assemble an outpost to rival on Santa Cruz in our lifetimes!

Next year I see Grand Times and the new Med tender on the scene too. Hey, where's Paul anyway..?!

Cool Site! How do I upload a photo? :blink:

Have you guys been to www.YachtNet.org its another cool site?

If you are a cute lesbian I would like to see a photo of your tits.

Oh BTW fuck off newbie

Sounds like Short Skirt and Rock & Roll were in a fender bender this last weekend. Anyone here what happened? (Broken bow & stern pulpit)

Last race, last weather mark rounding, R&R in probably 8th with SS one place behind. Both looking to move up on the final run.

R&R on stbd laying the mark and in the 3 bl circle. SS right there on port and looking to round tight behind R&R setting up a very hot run for two SB boats to move up and pass a couple of San Diego boats on way to finish.

SS attempts to duck R&R but is held up by Flam who is on port and to leeward of SS. Peter was left with no place to go, did a great job of missing R&R midships and almost made it by. Caught R&R at the port side spin sheet turning block opposite the wheel. Unfortunately Bernie was steering from port side to see mark for rounding and SS's retracted pole punched Bernie in the upper arm and chest. Almost knocked him out of the boat.

Big mess - R&R and SS locked together doing a slow waltz on layline to the mark and then Flambuoyant and another boat entered the dance. Fortunately it was only blowing 7 - 9 kts or things could have been a lot worse. SS drops out and R&R finishes.

The whole mess ruined the regatta for both SB boats. Don't know the whole story from Flam's (or others) viewpoints. We just got the boat cleaned up and hit the road to SB.

R&R left with 10 in. long x 5 in. wide by 2 - 3 in. deep boo boo, stern push pit wasted, bow pulpit tweaked (probably a throw away) and lifelines destroyed.

Both boats had a shot at top ten finishes before incident.

Cool Site! How do I upload a photo? :blink:

Have you guys been to www.YachtNet.org its another cool site?

If you are a cute lesbian I would like to see a photo of your tits.

Oh BTW fuck off newbie

Don't care if you're lesbian or not. Until you show us your tits, fuck off newbie!

before you bag on my newbie status, please notice that I've been around for more than a year.

Show us your tits anyway!

hey T, bernie OK?

who was driving flam's boat - the elder or the younger?

Bernie says he's OK. He really wanted to get going after the incident (we all did) as it put a big damper on what had been a pretty fun regatta. We thought he might have been hurt worse than he was letting on. Not so apparently.

Flam senior was driving Flambuoyant and Steve was on board as well. Don't know what was up with them holding SS up and someone said they flew a protest flag after the collision - no protest filed. The Flam's don't make wrong, uninformed, illogical moves on the race course generally.

At the evening event on Sat Barney was honored for his remarkable sailing career. Truly a living legend who still races hard at 80 + years of age.

hey T, bernie OK?

If you have sailed with them you know that they are cut from the same cloth, although one can likely see and hear better at this point.

hey T, bernie OK?

Bernie says he's OK. He really wanted to get going after the incident (we all did) as it put a big damper on what had been a pretty fun regatta. We thought he might have been hurt worse than he was letting on. Not so apparently.

Flam senior was driving Flambuoyant and Steve was on board as well. Don't know what was up with them holding SS up and someone said they flew a protest flag after the collision - no protest filed. The Flam's don't make wrong, uninformed, illogical moves on the race course generally.

At the evening event on Sat Barney was honored for his remarkable sailing career. Truly a living legend who still races hard at 80 + years of age.

They are usually right. They also have had a tendency in the past to push “right” past the point it should be pushed.

Kudo's to Thump, the producer of said great video. Tom, owner of Taxi said he would like to keep the half male/half female crew as the fun factor was so high and the boat handling great.

Thanks Thump! post-1224-1251392991.gif