Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

Looks like it's going to be windy on Sat.

Where you get your weather info?

Nice sailing day for the Hot Rum. 8-12 knots most of the day, 19 entries, some very fun sailing.

And nice rum and foods afterwards.

So glad the off-season is behind us.

Whew..I feel like Rip Van Winkle! Just woke up from a long nap. The last thing I remember was going into the Smith Barney office and having the receptionist tell me I had just been banned from SA. Santa Barbara can be a small town!

Yesterday was a great beginning to the 2010 racing season with the first of the Hot Rum Series. A persuit race on a nice day, followed by Cajun chicken and rice and lots of free rum at the YC. Taxi caught us on the Farr 40 about 30 seconds before the finish line, so Taxi took first, Skian Dhu 2nd, Harteck's J/105 third.

The Lounge Act is on the road and I'm hoping JAG will do his usual SA reports on Key West Race Week.

Ron and Pete just finished the I/14 Worlds in Sydney but the web site is pretty much crap so I haven't found the final results.

Carry on..Happy New Year.

post-1224-1263160501_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1263160522_thumb.jpg

Yeah!!! Welcome back! It was a great day, and don't forget the sunset and rainbow. So cool!!

"i don't say much about anything you kooks post, but outing people is not cool. do it again and you'll get a time out. and how about you back off on a bit of your vitriol, eh honey? oh and how fascinating to note that janer, spooner dupree4 and dls all use the same ip addresses...i think i'll blow those sock puppets up for starters..."Ed

Welcome back Spooner, Dupree4, dls, I mean Janer

"i don't say much about anything you kooks post, but outing people is not cool. do it again and you'll get a time out. and how about you back off on a bit of your vitriol, eh honey? oh and how fascinating to note that janer, spooner dupree4 and dls all use the same ip addresses...i think i'll blow those sock puppets up for starters..."Ed

Welcome back Spooner, Dupree4, dls, I mean Janer

Welcome back, Janer. I'm looking forward to your continued great reporting on Santa Barbara racing events (and the occasional sailing party!). My regular ride is not doing Hot Rum so your reporting is the next best thing to being there.

Greetings from Iowa, Louisiana. Lounge Act made it thru New Mexico and Texas today. No stops for BBQ yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Time for some ZZZS.

L

Looks like it's going to be windy on Sat.

Where you get your weather info?

I look at various sources and then make my best guess based upon my experience. I thought it was going to be a bit more windy than it was. I thought it could have been 15 but it was 11 or 12 at best. Still a fun day.

Who won the Centennial on Sunday?

New SBYC member Pat Toole. Yabbo beat Eric on a tie-breaker for 2nd--I think.

KP

I understand there were three boats that sent their crews for a swim (heard that from JR who was one of them!). That had to be painful--the Pacific is cold this time of year! Aside from the Blues Crews contingent, any idea who else went over? Those boats truly are tippy boats.

Centennial...is that the Victory 21 regatta? Rental Victory 21 Regatta?

The Centennial Cup, our annual top skippers regatta was sailed in FJ's this year. You like to talk smack about this event every year. Is it because you have never made the cut? :(

Ron and Pete are heading home from the I14 Worlds in Sydney. The event attracted 109 entries from around the globe and was dominated by Brits Archie Massey and Dan Wilsdon. The Santa Barbara team, one of 10 US entries, ended up 52nd. The I14 class in one of the oldest active classes and probably owes some of its staying power to a set of rules that encourages restricted experimentation. The next Worlds will be in Weymouth, England.

post-1224-1263310868_thumb.jpg

The Centennial Cup, our annual top skippers regatta was sailed in FJ's this year. You like to talk smack about this event every year. Is it because you have never made the cut? :(

What cut?

I used to teach sailing in those pieces of crap in the early 80's and they were horrible then, I can only imagine what they are like now. Each one has sails I MADE on the cheap with Bill Paxton and none had similar anything. That's all. Not really one design.

I do wish that the SB area clubs would get together and assemble a fleet of boats that could be raced and used to settle these sorts of challenges. KHYC owns several Martin 242's for this purpose. It is no wonder that KHYC has won many Governor's Cup's, Prince of Wales and qualified numerous times for the Congressional Cup. It is this backbone of equal YC owned boats. They used to own Santana 20's and they were sailed to death and then they bought the Martin's. The boats could also be rented out so that we could get more participants at local regatta's. SB probably has many sailors with talent and no PHRF vehicle.

As for a challenge, I welcome it. I love to race anything. Especially when the boats are equal. That's all.

What cut?

I used to teach sailing in those pieces of crap in the early 80's and they were horrible then, I can only imagine what they are like now. Each one has sails I MADE on the cheap with Bill Paxton and none had similar anything. That's all. Not really one design.

I do wish that the SB area clubs would get together and assemble a fleet of boats that could be raced and used to settle these sorts of challenges. KHYC owns several Martin 242's for this purpose. It is no wonder that KHYC has won many Governor's Cup's, Prince of Wales and qualified numerous times for the Congressional Cup. It is this backbone of equal YC owned boats. They used to own Santana 20's and they were sailed to death and then they bought the Martin's. The boats could also be rented out so that we could get more participants at local regatta's. SB probably has many sailors with talent and no PHRF vehicle.

As for a challenge, I welcome it. I love to race anything. Especially when the boats are equal. That's all.

Donate the 33 to the club since it's lonely and probably feels neglected.

I'll donate it alright. To the Church of Max.:-)

post-692-1263361493_thumb.jpg

What cut?

Each one has sails that you made? So you made the sails that they bought 2 years ago? No wonder you haven't had time to sail. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have and make the best of it, especially in this economy. Several of us are now fundraising for new sails for the FJ's as they are fun and well used in Club activities, the Women's Flippin Fridays and Youth Sailing and other events. I am predicting that we will have all new sails in this year due to proactive donors. Want to step up to the plate? Donate your unused Hobie 33?

What cut?

Each one has sails that you made? So you made the sails that they bought 2 years ago? No wonder you haven't had time to sail. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have and make the best of it, especially in this economy. Several of us are now fundraising for new sails for the FJ's as they are fun and well used in Club activities, the Women's Flippin Fridays and Youth Sailing and other events. I am predicting that we will have all new sails in this year due to proactive donors. Want to step up to the plate? Donate your unused Hobie 33?

My bad, I made the last set of sails that was used for 20 years until the new 2 year old set...oh brother. Still POS boats.

Janer, back to original comment. The SB clubs should try to get together and get some equal boats together to make a fleet that could be chartered out. They could be used to bring some regatta's to town, Prince of Wales etc. Old J-24's? Old J-22's? Santana 20's? The boats could be used to settle all types of bets. FJ's are cool but not very conducive to equal footing for keelboat sailors.

As for me donating my boat, WTF? Why would I get rid of my ride? Unused? you mean well preserved. I love my boat and plan on owning until my "cold dead hand" is pried off the tiller. I always know what boat I am going on SB-KH on! Main reason I own it. I am planning on bringing it out to race soon however.

Keep your 33, it's not really a one-design anyway. I think since you won't join SBYC, you could contribute in other ways. As an example you could arrange for our Centennial Regatta to be held at KHYC on their boats. While you're at it, make a couple planes available at no cost for the qualified teams to fly down and back. LAX is so close to KHYC making for an easy daytrip. Wouldn't that make for some real competition to qualify. I'm sure SBYC would give you some special membership for your extraordinary efforts. I, as well as many others, certainly would applaud your commitment to our local racing. post-1988-1263409893_thumb.jpg

Keep your 33, it's not really a one-design anyway. I think since you won't join SBYC, you could contribute in other ways. As an example you could arrange for our Centennial Regatta to be held at KHYC on their boats. While you're at it, make a couple planes available at no cost for the qualified teams to fly down and back. LAX is so close to KHYC making for an easy daytrip. Wouldn't that make for some real competition to qualify. I'm sure SBYC would give you some special membership for your extraordinary efforts. I, as well as many others, certainly would applaud your commitment to our local racing. post-1988-1263409893_thumb.jpg

Right on Inter 20. ;) You are so far above average.

post-1988-1263421016_thumb.jpgWhen you chuck enough random spears into the bush, every once in a while, one will ricochet back and nick you. It's just a minor flesh wound. You won't bleed to death. Put some duct tape on it and move on. Aim your next spear with care.

High tide, waves & wind. Several yard boats have already moved to higher ground.

Note to Max: You want us to get our facts straight? Most of the stuff you post is in fact non-factual. You want the SB Clubs to work together on this one design fleet. SBYC has studied it for years, the cost of buying boats, where to find slips, etc. We (SBYC) love the Sailing Club and try to help them when possible. Unable to pay for after Midwinters appetizers, we took care of that. Behind in hoist payments, etc. So I am happy that your club is now so solvent that it can donate boats to this one design effort. Please let me know the committment of donated boats by SBSC and I will work to match it.

Disclaimer: Although my statements are true, I am not representing the Santa Barbara Yacht Club, or it's Board of Directors in my statements.

over and out.

post-1224-1263310868_thumb.jpg

thanks for the props jane

52nd out of 108 sucked, but two DNFs to gear breakages, and an unfortunate tipover with the kite up, put the kibosh to our chances

we had the speed to be in the top 20s - no way we were top 10 - lack of practice, and the fact that vectran fails like cotton string after only 2 years put us out of the running

also it's true that the lower hemisphere, and sydney, is tough to sail in - loads of headlands in sydney - and the rule is go "left", down there - dammit

Disclaimer: Although my statements are true, I am not representing the Santa Barbara Yacht Club, or it's Board of Directors in my statements.

over and out.

and we are all glad for that! :o :

High tide, waves & wind. Several yard boats have already moved to higher ground.

Note to Max: You want us to get our facts straight? Most of the stuff you post is in fact non-factual. You want the SB Clubs to work together on this one design fleet. SBYC has studied it for years, the cost of buying boats, where to find slips, etc. We (SBYC) love the Sailing Club and try to help them when possible. Unable to pay for after Midwinters appetizers, we took care of that. Behind in hoist payments, etc. So I am happy that your club is now so solvent that it can donate boats to this one design effort. Please let me know the committment of donated boats by SBSC and I will work to match it.

over and out.

Jane, you really are full of crap. SBSC is not insolvent. The past 4 years I have been on the board and SBSC maintains a nice balance. Quite nice in FACT. Added some nice hardware...motor movers. Planning a facility. Throwing good turnout regatta's.

Saying what I say is non factual....Change doctors please. You are starting to scare the kids. The adults have already given up.

As for boats. If you or anyone else wants to have a real discussion about this, come to the SBSC board meeting tomorrow night so we can start a productive dialogue. Sounds like when you used to be on the board, you talked about it and decided to move on. Or continue to act like you continue to do, divisive, us against them instead of us and them.

Disclaimer: I am a SBSC Board member and idea's I float up may become a future idea's or discussions of SBSC.

You're the one who's complaining, I'll let you handle it.

I am working on making what we have, better. ;)

The CHRF party tonight was great. They have done a great job of getting racer/cruisers out on the race course.

The Fiesta Cup is shaping up nicely. EWS has followed thru on his work to get the Flying Tigers as the third one design fleet to be invited to the event. NICE. The event is already on the High Point Calendar for Farr 40's and J/105's. Beach party time and good racing! Thanks for your work Eric!

Lounge Act arrived in good shape in Key West. Need reports soon. Loren, been to Hog's Breath yet? Crew is in route.

A series of three storm systems are headed our way. W and NW facing beaches will experience large wave action, 10 feet on Monday and building after Tuesday to up to 20 feet. The rain predicted is huge. The Berm in front of the Yacht Club, parking lot and boat yard is almost gone already. I would think that anyone who has a boat in the yard should evacuate right away. I am hoping the predictions are overstated, But they are still saying these storms will be the biggest in years. Locally, due to our fires, there is the fear of large landslides. Be prepared and stay safe.

Right on! Thanks Full Circle. :rolleyes: Geckos are on the prowl. post-1224-1263848600.jpg

Looks like Groovederci had a couple of mid fleet finishes.

Go Lounge Lizards!

Hey Santa Barbara Soakers!

Hope you are all staying safe. Today was a beautiful day in Key West. Funny how the grass is always greener… we all wish we were experiencing the storm of the decade, but hopefully the next few days only fill the water supply and the hillsides stay where they belong.

Obviously you came here to hear about KWRW, so here’s the first report from the “BOOM BOOM Annex Penthouse” rocking the tunes with T-pain Josh, Rockstar Tracy and Mardi-Gras Dance Caroline entertaining us while we shower up after a fun first day of sailing. Head Lizard rolled into town on Tuesday morning after spending the night outside Miami Monday night as not to alert all the police to a record fast road crossing. The rest of us rolled in Thursday evening via American Airlines. Interesting landing in LA-- after coming in too close to a 747 and having two 90 degree rolls about 100 feet above the runway, we aborted and tried again. On the second attempt we made it no problem.

Two days of practice in typically Key West conditions, Friday and Saturday, made us thank coming here- Big chop, 12-18 knots and plenty of surfing downwind. Sunday was lighter following a DRENCHING.

We feel very fast in the breeze and alright in the lighter stuff. Today started in the high signal digit wind speeds, breeze lowered a bit and then came back to about 8 knots. The day had to do with tactics and boatspeed. We had plenty of both in the first race and only a bit of speed in the second race. (Please excuse the disconnected type—only slightly alcohol related, more to do with the girl dance party in front of me seeking attention…not complaining!)

Short story, we like being near the front and keeping the bow down going the right way. Today was pretty typical for the wind off the land with the left paying dividends, but there were some unstable righties if you were smart. The first race we did it well near the front and rounded the two weather marks 2nd and 3rd to different boats. However trying to take 2nd on the final run caused us to end up 5th.

The second race included a first beat where the wind didn’t stop at its left number and continued to clock. We got off the line well and were on the left, however I let a few too many boats get further left and we didn’t end the first beat as well as we should. From there it was a battle within two fleets (J-80s and M24’s). We struggled finding lanes, getting the right way without a blocker, etc. and unfortunately turned a good race into hopefully a throwout.

We’re off to see friends at the tent and Mangia Mangia for dinner. All the best from Key West—JAG

Just heard that Craig, the mayor of Ledbetter Beach, is going through a life threatening staff infection from a cut on his neck. Please send out some positive thoughts for a complete recovery.

Thump,

You mean Castanza? The Catamaran King? Dear God. My thoughts and prayers go out to him. :(

Yes.....I have been talking to Craig two to three times a day to see how he is doing. Tonight he is having his fourth operation since he showed up in the hospital this last Friday. He said today that the doctors have cut into his neck so many times in the last couple days to remove the staff that he can no longer hold his head up on his own. He is in incredible pain.......lots of Morphine. He is not looking for visitors but it would be great if his friends would give him a call at Cottage Hospital to wish him luck. Just ask for Craig Maggio's room and they will patch you through. The real "Men In Black" will be pulling for you Craig. You are one of us. Keep fighting!!!!! Get through this thing.

Hey Santa Barbara Soakers!

Hope you are all staying safe. Today was a beautiful day in Key West. Funny how the grass is always greener… we all wish we were experiencing the storm of the decade, but hopefully the next few days only fill the water supply and the hillsides stay where they belong.

Obviously you came here to hear about KWRW, so here's the first report from the "BOOM BOOM Annex Penthouse" rocking the tunes with T-pain Josh, Rockstar Tracy and Mardi-Gras Dance Caroline entertaining us while we shower up after a fun first day of sailing. Head Lizard rolled into town on Tuesday morning after spending the night outside Miami Monday night as not to alert all the police to a record fast road crossing. The rest of us rolled in Thursday evening via American Airlines. Interesting landing in LA-- after coming in too close to a 747 and having two 90 degree rolls about 100 feet above the runway, we aborted and tried again. On the second attempt we made it no problem.

Two days of practice in typically Key West conditions, Friday and Saturday, made us thank coming here- Big chop, 12-18 knots and plenty of surfing downwind. Sunday was lighter following a DRENCHING.

We feel very fast in the breeze and alright in the lighter stuff. Today started in the high signal digit wind speeds, breeze lowered a bit and then came back to about 8 knots. The day had to do with tactics and boatspeed. We had plenty of both in the first race and only a bit of speed in the second race. (Please excuse the disconnected type—only slightly alcohol related, more to do with the girl dance party in front of me seeking attention…not complaining!)

Short story, we like being near the front and keeping the bow down going the right way. Today was pretty typical for the wind off the land with the left paying dividends, but there were some unstable righties if you were smart. The first race we did it well near the front and rounded the two weather marks 2nd and 3rd to different boats. However trying to take 2nd on the final run caused us to end up 5th.

The second race included a first beat where the wind didn't stop at its left number and continued to clock. We got off the line well and were on the left, however I let a few too many boats get further left and we didn't end the first beat as well as we should. From there it was a battle within two fleets (J-80s and M24's). We struggled finding lanes, getting the right way without a blocker, etc. and unfortunately turned a good race into hopefully a throwout.

We're off to see friends at the tent and Mangia Mangia for dinner. All the best from Key West—JAG

wizardofozauntie.jpg

Well, we're all glad to hear about KWRW "beautiful day in Key West," but frankly, how about you hear about what you are missing on KEYT--apparently a water spout in today's storm threw a boat 100 feet in the air (!) and a real life tornado touched down in Goleta (next best thing to a trailer park) and wasted some house roofs and fences (my sincere apologies to Goletians out there--I'M GONNA BURN IN HELL--). I listened to the news from my kitchen and heard that a few boats from Fools Anchorage washed ashore. Natch. Tomorrow and Thursday all storm hell breaks loose. We had a few hours of sunshine today so I hope boat owners got their vessels out of the yard and tied down at the docks. Everybody pray the fire scorched hillsides hold.

But J.A.G., you keep reporting those balmy race conditions to us envious, sun-starved compatriots. While you're there you get me a tan; I'll drive by your house and make sure it isn't floating down Mission Creek. No sailing in Santa Barbara this week--at least not intentionally!

P.S. Tell Caroline my dogs won't poop in the rain. Dammit!

Key West Report in a nut shell: Grey & chilly. Lounge Act boys are in 12th place going into the 4th day. Johnny D and Groovederci in 9th in the Farr 40 class and a sweet 2nd in yesterday's last race; Bernie and the Rock n' Roll team on chartered boat Orangutan has no place to go but UP. Tonight will be the Santa Barbara dinner at Bernie's..always fun to get the SB teams together for a nice dinner.

Santa Barbara report in a nut shell: High surf warning, flash flood warning, heavy thunderstorm expected in the next few hours with possible hail and weak torneados, gusts to 50. Batten down the hatches.

SBSC Yard Alert: Damon just called from Harbor Marine Works to let us know that the rig just blew down on one of the boats... You might want to go down and check which one it is...

Looks like the mast came down on the Santa Cruz 27 in the Sailing Club yard. Haven't seen there port captain around for days. I am sure they don't know what is going on down here. The yacht club yard has been cleared out. Dave Young is down here taking the Taxi Dancer trailer out at the moment. Its only 10:30 AM. High tide will hit a little after 12:00. We will see how the yacht club and there parking lot fairs then.

good luck up there you guys......heading down to the boat soon to throw on some extra lines. Surprisingly enough the boat rides out the big breeze fairly well on the hydrohoist

Looks like the mast came down on the Santa Cruz 27 in the Sailing Club yard. Haven't seen there port captain around for days. I am sure they don't know what is going on down here. The yacht club yard has been cleared out. Dave Young is down here taking the Taxi Dancer trailer out at the moment. Its only 10:30 AM. High tide will hit a little after 12:00. We will see how the yacht club and there parking lot fairs then.

Is that Ron Boehm's new boat? (California Zephyr - reddish hull) Maybe someone with his number could give him a call?

Is that Ron Boehm's new boat? (California Zephyr - reddish hull) Maybe someone with his number could give him a call?

I thought Ron had it in a slip - but I don't really know

The owner is on his way to check out his SC 27, Taz.

Port Captain Brian Green is on his way.

Bummer rig dropped without sails up!

BB, Thanks for the updates from the harbor. I assume the YC has boarded up the windows. Is the water/waves under the Club yet?

Hijack: I heard you have a sweet new ride. Hope to see it soon!

The last and biggest storm destined to hit tomorrow. Hopefully not as devistating as the storm of 1983 where I took these pictures.

post-1224-1264045777_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1264046719_thumb.jpg

I am making a BIG card for Craig that I will bring to the Club on Sat before and after the race for friends to sign. If anyone has pics that could be added to the poster please bring them or email to me. He survived his fourth surgery today. I think something like a big get well card will show him how much we all care and encourage him to fight on. So everyone will have a chance to write a message.

post-1224-1264046131_thumb.jpg

Talked to Big Craig this AM. He is doing much better today. He thinks he may be out of the hospital next week. He did say he is liking his Morphine drip and the nice looking nurses. He said he may just want to stay there for a while :)

good for craig

now for this weekend sailing - current forecast is for 8 - 12 kts with 12 foot seas

i don't feel so good

Go Lounge Act Lizards!

Go the Craig!

+1

Two more races to go!

Don't let the Jr. Gecko party too much! post-1224-1264111436.jpg

Also: The Craiger may be strong enough to start really harrassing the nurses soon. I should ward them off with some MEXORC stories!

Fiesta_2009.bmp

Still some huge puffs coming thru..

post-1224-1264104615_thumb.jpg

post-1224-1264104711_thumb.jpg

I know I'm gonna get it on this, but her goes... I didn't know that CHRF had a race/beach party the other day.

I know I'm gonna get it on this, but her goes... I didn't know that CHRF had a race/beach party the other day.

Larry,

They need to stop using the Volleyball net as their finish line.

post-1224-1264118201.jpg

post-1224-1264117946.gif

forecast for sat - chilly, light air, and big waves - plus lots o debris in the water - is the harbor open? low tide is 10:30

how many wrecks on the beach?

OH CRAP!

The Lizards lost their mojo in the 9th race. What the hell? And what are they going to blame this on? 19th place. UGH

OH CRAP!

The Lizards lost their mojo in the 9th race. What the hell? And what are they going to blame this on? 19th place. UGH

Way to go Bernie and the Rock and Roll crew with a second place finish in race 10!

Good job!

Yes that was an excellent way for them to finish the week.

Lounge Act's final score was 11th, an excellent showing although we were all rooting for a top ten. Wish you guys were going to be here tomorrow for the Hot Rum Series, but I know you need at least 24 hours of celebrating Caroline's birthday.

Hot Rum could be ugly, some showers, light air, huge waves and lots of debris in the water.. and then FREE RUM. :D

Looks like the rain is gone for now. 12 boats ended up washing onto East Beach. There were also 2 boats that sunk out in the anchorage. I guess thats why they call it "Fools Harbor" :)

Craig Maggio's sister just drove Craig by my office. What a tough guy........he's already out the the hospital.

Excellent news. I am bringing the Craig poster/card to the club tomorrow for people to sign, then maybe you could keep it in your office until we can deliver it to Craig. The Mayor needs to reclaim his beach ASAP!

Dude, get back in the water where you belong!

post-1224-1264213376_thumb.jpg

Looks like the rain is gone for now. 12 boats ended up washing onto East Beach. There were also 2 boats that sunk out in the anchorage. I guess thats why they call it "Fools Harbor" :)

Yeah, I recognized a couple of those derelick boats on the beach. Guess who is going to end up paying for their removal. It will be another line item in the Harbor Budget, it will be big and we will pay for it. Very few anchorage residents ever pay for their lack of intelligence, it just gets passed on to us. UGH

OH CRAP!

Way to go Bernie and the Rock and Roll crew with a second place finish in race 10!

Good job!

Friday was a light day and we felt we had to do something different. Used our heavy Quantum jib and were able to do surprisingly well with it - go figure. A great start helped. The boat we chartered (and will never charter again) had zero acceleration so getting clear air was absolutely vital. Guess using a beat up heavy jib was good too - we lead for 3 out of 4 legs. Savasana seems to make their biggest moves downwind by always being able to sail about 2 - 3 degrees lower with speed. They're no slouches upwind either but we were able to hang with them much of the time.

Craig Maggio's sister just drove Craig by my office. What a tough guy........he's already out the the hospital.

Excellent news. I am bringing the Craig poster/card to the club tomorrow for people to sign, then maybe you could keep it in your office until we can deliver it to Craig. The Mayor needs to reclaim his beach ASAP!

Dude, get back in the water where you belong!

post-1224-1264213376_thumb.jpg

Janer, please add best wishes to the card from his pals here in Key West.

Very interesting day on the water for the Hot Rum, 2nd of the series. Lots of changes in wind velocity and the waves off Ledbetter Beach were BIG. Unfortunately my camera failed today, but the guys (you know who you are) who went too far inside found themselves rapidly approaching the beach when the swells caught them. It was a bit scarey. AWB Melges 24 with visiting pro Jeff Berkus on board caught a huge ball of kelp as they were surfing down waves and trying to get the hell out of there. Larry Harteck on his J/105 had a big lead for most of the race, was overrun by Taxi and then at the end the Farr 40, so the results were pretty much the same as the last Hot Rum, Taxi first, Skian Dhu second and Repeat Offender third, with 19 boats out. Great to have sunshine after a week of big time rain, and then of course FREE RUM. Great to have Chewy on the boat with us! :rolleyes:

OH CRAP!

Good job!

Friday was a light day and we felt we had to do something different. Used our heavy Quantum jib and were able to do surprisingly well with it - go figure. A great start helped. The boat we chartered (and will never charter again) had zero acceleration so getting clear air was absolutely vital. Guess using a beat up heavy jib was good too - we lead for 3 out of 4 legs. Savasana seems to make their biggest moves downwind by always being able to sail about 2 - 3 degrees lower with speed. They're no slouches upwind either but we were able to hang with them much of the time.

Great to hear those Quantum Jibs are super fast See you guys up in the bay this year!!

Very interesting day on the water for the Hot Rum, 2nd of the series. Lots of changes in wind velocity and the waves off Ledbetter Beach were BIG. Unfortunately my camera failed today, but the guys (you know who you are) who went too far inside found themselves rapidly approaching the beach when the swells caught them. It was a bit scarey. AWB Melges 24 with visiting pro Jeff Berkus on board caught a huge ball of kelp as they were surfing down waves and trying to get the hell out of there. Larry Harteck on his J/105 had a big lead for most of the race, was overrun by Taxi and then at the end the Farr 40, so the results were pretty much the same as the last Hot Rum, Taxi first, Skian Dhu second and Repeat Offender third, with 19 boats out. Great to have sunshine after a week of big time rain, and then of course FREE RUM. Great to have Chewy on the boat with us! :rolleyes:

+1

Taxi was a blast. Some crew from the past showed up and some new bowmen who are chomping to take over from Peder. Fortunatly or unfortunatly Taxi rode a new puff in on leg one to slide by on the inside. Waves were huge and sets were stacking up when the boys on Mar Caballo decided to give everyone a scare and tried to duck dive a 34 foot sailboat! Even BeBe looked for the takeoff spot at Led's. The beach payeth and can also taketh.

Fun times.

Mr. Parker with his new Bionic knee showed up at the club, 4 days post surgery and with a great spirit.

After that it started to get blurry, something about Rum.................

The BIG card for CRAIG will be in Kenny's office for a few days collecting more salutations. Stop by!

I want to thank everyone for their support during my recent illness; it’s good to know I have so many friends in the sailing community. I was really messed up, for the record I had MRSA which is the lethal staph infection that’s anti-biotic resistant. This infection knocked me on my ass, within a week of feeling ill it had spread through my body.

When I checked into the ER, thanks to my sister, I had a 103.9 fever, infections on my chest and arm, and a softball sized lump on my neck, which was chocking off my breathing. It’s safe to say had I waited another a day I wouldn’t be here right now.

Everything was great in the Hospital for the first five days; the nurses came in day and night giving me sponge baths. In my feverish delirious state I might have invited a couple of nurses to go sailing. But then the last three nights I got all the male nurses and the sponge baths weren’t quite as fun. That’s when I decided it was time to go home.

On the plus side I lost 16 pounds on the Water Morphine diet.

Thanks Again, and yes I’ll be back on the beach soon.

Craig

Fuck off noobie!

I'm sorry, but it's the law! Glad to hear that you're doing better. Most of your beach is gone this week, but I'm sure they'll rebuild it for you. Probably wouldn't have happened if you had been doing your your job! :lol:

I want to thank everyone for their support during my recent illness; it’s good to know I have so many friends in the sailing community. I was really messed up, for the record I had MRSA which is the lethal staph infection that’s anti-biotic resistant. This infection knocked me on my ass, within a week of feeling ill it had spread through my body.

When I checked into the ER, thanks to my sister, I had a 103.9 fever, infections on my chest and arm, and a softball sized lump on my neck, which was chocking off my breathing. It’s safe to say had I waited another a day I wouldn’t be here right now.

Everything was great in the Hospital for the first five days; the nurses came in day and night giving me sponge baths. In my feverish delirious state I might have invited a couple of nurses to go sailing. But then the last three nights I got all the male nurses and the sponge baths weren’t quite as fun. That’s when I decided it was time to go home.

On the plus side I lost 16 pounds on the Water Morphine diet.

Thanks Again, and yes I’ll be back on the beach soon.

Craig

Craiger,

Sponge bath, male nurses? Sounds good to me, for you not so much.

I'm glad you are out of the woods and headed back to the beach in the near future.

You will like your card, it's in Kenny's office so check with him on delivery status.

Big hugs, Janer :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Craig,

Any idea how you contracted it? Kyber had something similar from local water (he speculated) a few years back.

Welcome back to reality. Hospital life sucks.

PS The guys in the photo made it too.

post-692-1264477068_thumb.jpg

• Downvote 1