Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

Beautiful sailing today in SB. The 3 Bridge Fiasco was happening in SF, looked light but I did the race once and loved the concept. I'm trying to figure out how we could do it in SB; using oil rigs? Any ideas?

Also saw Kenny's new sweet ride.

post-1224-1264910772_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How about around the 4 rigs either direction? Clockwise or counterclockwise.

Start upwind or downwind.

• Downvote 1

Good luck to the Opti kids who are headed off to St. Petersburg this week!

SBYC wolf moon rise:

post-1224-1265048060.jpg

Speaking of smoked, here is a Smoked Chicken Quesadilla from Bobby Flay's place in Caesars, Mesa Grill. Yum.

WHERE IS THIS?

S.B., yes?

I want!

Last trip up there I got to enjoy one of my favorites: Super Rica!

Here comes Hot Rum 3. Taxi is in the hole shot position to smoke em all. Speaking of smoked, here is a Smoked Chicken Quesadilla from Bobby Flay's place in Caesars, Mesa Grill. Yum.

Looks like you'll be avoiding sailing on boats with crew weight issues. Don't feel bad because I've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook.

Hot Rum Race and Trophy Dinner on the same day? Yikes that's a long party. Plus a birthday celebration for the guy that is so revered by female sailors. Yeah, I know he's married to my favorite sailing gal pal.

post-1224-1265085950_thumb.jpg

Anyone seen this guy?

Back in the day, a great sailor. Now holed up in the out back.

post-1224-1265164111_thumb.jpg :rolleyes:

Another shot from back in the day on Alchemy, I think we were at Long Beach Race Week.

Big Dick, Cookie John (RIP), Willy, Roy Cundiff and Big Dave.

post-1224-1265295821_thumb.jpg

Another shot from back in the day on Alchemy, I think we were at Long Beach Race Week.

Big Dick, Cookie John (RIP), Willy, Roy Cundiff and Big Dave.

post-1224-1265295821_thumb.jpg

That's a great old photo. "Guys in green stay on starboard, guys in red stay on port!" :)

Hoping to get some feedback from this motley crew for the new weather page we just launched for the Chandlery. Let me know if there's other weather links that would add additional value, or if the layout could be adjusted to make it better for checking the conditions.

click here for the weather page

Hoping to get some feedback from this motley crew for the new weather page we just launched for the Chandlery. Let me know if there's other weather links that would add additional value, or if the layout could be adjusted to make it better for checking the conditions.

very nice!

It sucks,

I looked outside my office window, and it's raining :( !

Nice job! I remember when we would call the Chandlery and tell them to put us on hold so that we could listen to the weather radio.

Is this the Chandlery Weather tracker ?

Looks good

vewwy vewwy nice Thump!

So it looks like the weather for tomorrow's Hot Rum is shitty and then increasing shitty followed by darkness at which time we will be partying at the Annual Trophy Dinner.

post-1224-1265419950_thumb.jpg

See ya' there.

Geronimo back in the day...

post-1224-1265601451_thumb.jpg

Dick at the back with Jimmy driving, Bill Lenvik, Skip (RIP), Big Dave, Brennan, Bob, me, Mark Irwin.

You can see the kelp so we must be near SB <_<

• Like 1

Trophy wife,

Good question. Maybe with his new Titanium knee he couldn't get through the crew crowd that were picking up his trophies :o

• Like 1

Wow, Congratulations to Willy!! Olympic 470's here we come. He's a great guy and obviously an awesome sailor.

Santa Barbara Youth Foundation is pumping out our future! :rolleyes:

Santa Barbara is proud Willy.

• Like 1

Since we’re acknowledging the accomplishments of Santa Barbara Youth Sailing Foundation sailors, I should probably mention that Dane Wilson won the St. Petersburg YC Valentines Regatta last weekend. First place out of 152 boats in Gold Fleet!

Results

KP,

Since we are in congratulatory mode:

While you were in Florida with the Opti sailors you and your lovely wife were awarded the "Outstanding Contribution to Youth" trophy, which you truly deserve. Sorry you weren't there!

post-1224-1265746087.jpg

• Like 1

KP,

Since we are in congratulatory mode:

While you were in Florida with the Opti sailors you and your lovely wife were awarded the "Outstanding Contribution to Youth" trophy, which you truly deserve. Sorry you weren't there!

post-1224-1265746087.jpg

From the top left and clockwise: Eric, Charlie or Travis, Andrea and me? Too funny.

Jeanene and I are humbled by the award. There are a lot of others who are equally deserving who I would have loved to have recognized had I been there. Sorry to have missed it (but my liver's not).

Cheers,

KP

KP giving it up for the kids!

Give it up for KP!

KP for Commodore!...oh he already did that.

KP for Ambassador!

post-692-1265822040_thumb.jpg

Back in the day....

The ULDB 70 fleet tended to wreak havoc at the Big Boat Series. In 1992 the crash between Maverick and Blondie was loud enough for folks at St. Francis YC to hear it.

post-1224-1265935801_thumb.jpg

Note Maverick's bow is in front of Blondie's wheel.

In 1997 it was Orient Express vs. Mirage. In 1998 Grand Illusion vs. Mongoose. Mongoose owner Bob Saielli (a really cool guy) was taken to the hospital with broken ribs. Don Hughes' Santa Barbara boat went on to win the event that year with 3 bullets.

post-1224-1265936240_thumb.jpg

Present day news: This Sunday is the Valentine Race. I'm driving something red to go with the theme. Who's in?

Photos by my dear friend Kelly O'Neil (RIP)

Valentines Race was excellent. Weird conditions with big swell and more wind than I expected. First time driving a SC27 in years with a great crew who did their best as novices to the boat. The wind piped up right before the start and we had the #1 up which is huge so we managed to switch to the #2 before the start. Our race had only 4 entries so I was racing against Taxi Dancer and 2 J/105's. Two long triangles for the course. The leward mark was the bell bouy and as I rounded it the tiller extension poped off and the boat almost had seals on board. We learned alot about the boat today and what needs to be fixed. The CHRF fleet had 14 entries and they had a great race also.

The party afterwards was free champage, roses, lots of chocolates. There was some incidents that I will not reveal. Girls just wanna have fun! And then nice watching the AC on the giant screen.

Back in the day....

The ULDB 70 fleet tended to wreak havoc at the Big Boat Series. In 1992 the crash between Maverick and Blondie was loud enough for folks at St. Francis YC to hear it.

In 1997 it was Orient Express vs. Mirage. In 1998 Grand Illusion vs. Mongoose. Mongoose owner Bob Saielli (a really cool guy) was taken to the hospital with broken ribs. Don Hughes' Santa Barbara boat went on to win the event that year with 3 bullets.

Present day news: This Sunday is the Valentine Race. I'm driving something red to go with the theme. Who's in?

Back in the day....

My brother was ddriving Maverick in that picture and I was driving Taxi

Poncho,

Your brother may have been driving Maverick, but I know for sure you were not driving Taxi in the picture. Don Hughes was driving, Dave Ullman standing behind him calling tactics, Pete Heck trimming to leward, I'm on the rail in a yellow jacket and you were not on the boat.

Janer

Poncho,

Your brother may have been driving Maverick, but I know for sure you were not driving Taxi in the picture. Don Hughes was driving, Dave Ullman standing behind him calling tactics, Pete Heck trimming to leward, I'm on the rail in a yellow jacket and you were not on the boat.

Janer

janer always in the position of boat bitch, I wonder how many knee pads she goes thru! :lol: :lol:

Little Ducky,

Thanks for your usual moronic post. Been missing you.

How many BBS have you done on a 70 footer my little pantie waister? :lol:

Little Ducky,

Thanks for your usual moronic post. Been missing you.

How many BBS have you done on a 70 footer my little pantie waister? :lol:

you'd like to know! :o:lol:

Poncho,

Janer

Didn't those guys buy J-105s? You know with all the crashing and stuff, they'd be perfect for the fleet.

Not so much the crashing, but throwing a flag for "not enough women on board", yeah, that's a new one.

ja ja ja. That's Spanglish for Ha Ha Ha.

Thanks for creating the Valentine's race, dude. And I only gave Nicky a

small rug burn this time. Tell him if he didn't hide under that table, things would have gone better. :rolleyes:

Hey Poncho,

Is it true that you moved back to Dago?

inquiring minds.....

Hey Poncho,

Is it true that you moved back to Dago?

inquiring minds.....

nooooo.........i never got my shirt!

Back in the day....

My brother was ddriving Maverick in that picture and I was driving Taxi

Poncho dude, I think maybe you are confused. Maybe you were driving the "Magic Bus" that day. It may have been yellow and maybe on the intergalactic highway. Apology accepted. Thanks for the handshake right before you left town. I'll always cherish the moment. :)

Thanks. Not gone from SB, just taking some time writing and working on my boat here in SD, and yes that was probably Hughes driving. But that was a pic from a different year. I was driving Taxi when My bro hit Blondie as we were just to weather but we never had am ugly orange main. Sorry, I missed that. I do have a pic from that year tho.

The Farr 40 fleet was all over the map in Long Beach Midwinters. Gear breakage, OCS, DNF, DNC's peppered the fleet. Jeff Janov's Dark Star was the final winner with Dave Ullman calling tactics for him. Pirhanna took second from Skian Dhu after Skian Dhu lost in the Room.

The biggest loss was not having JAG on the second day. His wife took him to Long Beach Memorial Hospital on Sat night with adominal pain which turns out to be gall stones. They would not let him be moved to SB so he is still there for antibiotics, lab work and possible gall bladder removal.

I hope the drugs are good Jeff. We all send best wishes for a speedy recovery and a quick return to Santa Barbara. :)

Get better Jefe!

Long Beach Memorial is an awesome hospital to be taken care of and Jeff knows Doc Messenger and the fact is the head of the Cardio Lab and I am going to write Doc Messenger to make sure Jeff gets the good stuff, sponge baths, good food etc...

Glad it did not happen last year on his way to Tahiti!

I talked to Jeff this morning and he was in good spirits but still did not know when or if the surgery would happen. I'm bummed that he is in Long Beach and not in SB where his friends can visit easily. He has his cell phone and lap top so if you are able, give him a call or email; and he can check SA as well.

Jeff. watch out for those male nurses. You have a nice ass.

(caveat, Caroline, love you)

The Farr 40 fleet was all over the map in Long Beach Midwinters. Gear breakage, OCS, DNF, DNC's peppered the fleet. Jeff Janov's Dark Star was the final winner with Dave Ullman calling tactics for him. Pirhanna took second from Skian Dhu after Skian Dhu lost in the Room.

The biggest loss was not having JAG on the second day. His wife took him to Long Beach Memorial Hospital on Sat night with adominal pain which turns out to be gall stones. They would not let him be moved to SB so he is still there for antibiotics, lab work and possible gall bladder removal.

I hope the drugs are good Jeff. We all send best wishes for a speedy recovery and a quick return to Santa Barbara. :)

Jane:

Just to be clear, Skian Dhu's protest was against Temptress, NOT Piranha and was disallowed. Would have moved us up a point too! As written it suggestes that Skian Dhu had a protest against Piranha that cost them second which is NOT the case!

Best wishes to Jeff as well and hurry back 'cuz they won the last race!

Hey Max,

Couple of weeks ago you said that you were doing PV on Akela. What happened this time?

post-1224-1266968758_thumb.jpg

Hey Max,

Couple of weeks ago you said that you were doing PV on Akela. What happened this time?

post-1224-1266968758_thumb.jpg

Oooh boy, gotta settle down, check the cabinet and fridge... 'probly get the foulies, too; now where was that Sou'Wester cap???

JAG had surgery today.

He no longer has any gall

bladder!

Best wishes from your pals for a speedy recovery. B)

Hope you will be able to sail on Opening Day?

I own a business and I had to fly.

I am flying to PV for trophies next Friday with the other owner who also stayed behind last minute.

What was your excuse;-)

• Downvote 1

Looking forward to another weekend of training and racing with my 24 year old nephew. He's got the bug which is exciting for me as none of my family members SAIL. He got his very first ride on Taxi. He just moved to SB and is the assistant pro golfer at Montecito Country Club. You go Nick! He's catching on fast and he and I will be racing together this weekend. I love bringing newbies into the sport and a family member is an extra bonus.

Nick_driving_Taxi.bmp

PS to Max, I don't need an excuse, I never said I was doing the race. :lol:

Start your Friday with a smile! :rolleyes::D

It's FRIDAY. Time for the Taxi Dancer SMACK DAT.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the calls, texts and e-mails. It made 5 days in the hospital a little more bearable. Long story short, what I thought was indigestion for a few weeks was a gallstone impeding the bile duct in the gallbladder. The backed up bile was poisoning me. Fortunately, after a very rough Saturday night, I went to the Emergency Room (instead of Urgent Care which I had done a couple weeks ago). It took 4 days to get my body back in condition for surgery and finally Wednesday evening my gallbladder was removed.

I'm back home recouping now. I look forward to seeing everyone around the club or sailing soon. The calls and texts were very appreciated and helped me pass the time in a scary situation. Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the calls, texts and e-mails. It made 5 days in the hospital a little more bearable. Long story short, what I thought was indigestion for a few weeks was a gallstone impeding the bile duct in the gallbladder. The backed up bile was poisoning me. Fortunately, after a very rough Saturday night, I went to the Emergency Room (instead of Urgent Care which I had done a couple weeks ago). It took 4 days to get my body back in condition for surgery and finally Wednesday evening my gallbladder was removed.

I'm back home recouping now. I look forward to seeing everyone around the club or sailing soon. The calls and texts were very appreciated and helped me pass the time in a scary situation. Thanks!

Jefe -

Great news. Must be nice to finally get home! Get well soon.

Now tell em all you can handle is tactics for a while.

Jefe...how soon can you drink?

My friend Betsy Crowfoot took this pic a few weeks ago off the coast of Uruguay. These are sperm whales lined up for battle as a pod of killer whales approached and attacked. Incredible!

post-1224-1267222225_thumb.jpg

Jefe...how soon can you drink?

Remember: Mount Gay and Tonic or Coke. No "Diet" mixers allowed, they'll kill you!

You ever notice all the fat people drink Diet Pepsi? :blink:

You must not know Jefe - He never drank diet anything or coke! Always Mt. Gay and Sprite!

News flash:

12:30 pm Harbor Patrol evacuated SBYC and shut down the harbor for the ensuing Tsunami, which ended up being about 2 feet high. ;)

Right then, everyone out, close down the harbor, evacuate the Yacht Club. Reverse 911 calls and bull horns, yelling get out! Many boats left the scene to wait it out on the water. Crowds gathered to watch the tsunami hit SB which was not really an "event" with about a 2 foot wave. However it did really have some repercusions in the harbor. The tide did rise up and down significantly causing the dredge and it's pipelines to move irradicatly and the Harbor Patrol was out in force trying to remedy the situation, about that time the boats who had left the harbor decided to come back in. An unusual "whirlpool" had developed off the end of the breakwater. Between that and the out of control dredge, pretty interesting.Those of us who survived the tsunami were happy to discuss it at length over cocktails at the YC when it reopened.

All chiding aside, very scarey to have another huge earthquake that affects so many people.

• Like 1

post-1224-126741018127_thumb.jpgpost-1224-126741018127_thumb.jpgUnusual day of racing. The high tide of Saturday night washed tons of sand into the YC parking lot and the harbor had begun to close out with sand and surfers were riding waves almost at the harbor mouth. We ran aground trying to get out and knowing that the low tide was 3 hours away. The race did happen with about 20 boats out, light and choppy with some breeze towards the end. Several boats went aground coming back in. At this low tide there was the dredge working and more heavy equipment on the beach than I have ever seen trying to haul as much sand as they could out of the harbor entrance. There was a very narrow channel deep enough for the boats to come in. My favorites were the two gals, Rae and Karen who beat us and did a mighty fine job of putting the chute up with just the two of them.

post-1224-126741014261_thumb.jpg

Not really Santa Barbara, but close.

Ventura harbor was shut down for a few hours...I was on a boat that was the first to enter once it re-opened. We had a 7kt current going in the harbor.

Boats at the docks had wakes. Bouys were underwater. They are dredging that harbor, so I'm sure it's shallow, causing some increased velocity.

It's that time again. SBYC Opening Day is this Sunday and with a new format to enhance the Sailing Club Opening Day, they have moved their day to Saturday instead of the usual week or two after ours. So it's a group effort to get more participation. So a full weekend of sailing and parties. The Sailing Club will host J/24's and Melges 24 on Saturday. On Sunday it will be the usual fun affair at the SBYC, Breakfast, bloodies, boat parade, and then a 2:00 start for the masses, PHRF,CHRF, J/105's. Always fun with lots of music and good food.The City has been working frantically to open up the harbor after last week's tsunami tides coupled with high tides and storm surf. High tide on Sat night covered our entire parking lot and dry storage.

Heads up. It will be a fun time for sure. Wet Wednesdays only a short time away!

post-1224-126758911507_thumb.jpg

(well there really isn't that much sand left, but hope you can make it!)

• Like 1

I was sad to hear that local boy/sailing Pro Eric Arndt had a big heart attack last month at Key West. Had the full on surgery and stints. The good news is that he is feeling great and recovering well. Big hugs to you Eric. :)

• Like 2

I was sad to hear that local boy/sailing Pro Eric Arndt had a big heart attack last month at Key West. Had the full on surgery and stints. The good news is that he is feeling great and recovering well. Big hugs to you Eric

whoa - that explains why he is not on the M32 for the upcoming event - and he is thin and in good shape too

My pal, boat builder extraordinaire dave ovington, died at 52 a few years ago from a massive heart attack in the lake country of England

you lot get your cholesterol checked - and get your liver enzymes checked too - just cause I know your habits

Damn - I'd looked for him on the crew list also & wondered why he wasnt on. He always was the hyper kid of the whole Arndt family, tho.

Awesome sailor and a great guy. Eric....good luck on your recovery if you are reading this. Hey Longy................how are you doing? Haven't seen you in ages.

KK

• Like 2

Rut roh

Funnel cloud off of Santa Barbara this morning!

post-1224-126789971156_thumb.jpg

One HELL of an Opening Day Race with winds 18 to 28 knots and a big swell. We were fortunate enough to get AWB Melges crew to go with us and augment our regular crew sans JAG who's lost his gall and his doctor would not sign off on anything over 15 knots. Quite a few ripped sails, one man overboard and one woman overboard on other boats, both retrieved quickly. I'm kinda pissed at the skippers who took newbies out there and did not make them wear life jackets such as the woman who went overboard on a J/105. Taxi won the A class, the J/105's corrected overall over just about everyone, with Larry Harteck taking first. Lots of commaradie at the club afterwards after a grueling wet day.

I would like to add congrats to Heidi Ziskind who took second overall driving her dad's J/105. You go girl.

AND a shout out to Yacht Clubs everywhere who are using helium balloons, hundreds of them in side and out side their clubs. A majority of them will eventually let loose and hit the ocean where they become a long lasting environmental problem. When the wind was hitting 25 at our club, they were flying out to sea. Thanks to JAG and Thomas for cutting them down as soon as ceremonies were over and saving our ocean from more man made crap. :rolleyes:

Aloha from the 50th State!

I have previously hosted members of the UCSB Sailing team for a Hawaii Regatta, and am now looking for some help for some of our HS Sailors.

I am seeking some Housing assistance for one of our teams that is coming up for The Gaucho Regatta Next weekend- 3/19-21. We have me, and team of four students, a total of 5. We may have secured accommodations for two of the team that would reduce our needs to a total of 3. If you can help, or know of someone that can, the assistance would be most appreciated.

Dan

Dan,

Have you spoken to our race director, Dana Jones? We do normally try to find housing for the Gaucho entries. Dana's email is racing@sbyc.org, I will pm his phone number. We look forward to seeing you at the Gaucho Regatta! Best wishes. ;)

B) KK from back in the day, a few decades ago. Tomorrow the big 50 birthday bash.

post-1224-126836208801_thumb.jpg

Happy Birthday Kenny and thanks for all your help over the years with the Women's Events, Sponsorship, and us staying friends thru thick and thin.

B) KK from back in the day, a few decades ago. Tomorrow the big 50 birthday bash.

post-1224-126836208801_thumb.jpg

Happy Birthday Kenny and thanks for all your help over the years with the Women's Events, Sponsorship, and us staying friends thru thick and thin.

Jeanene and I were trying to figure out the crew. From the bow, Bob Little ("Peaches"), George Sanchez, Jeff ("Elvis") Thorpe and Kenny Bro? We're guessing Susan in the companionway feeding out the kite?

Lower ring in that breeze?

Happy Birthday old man!

kp

Wow good guesses KP. Elvis confirms that he is in the cockpit and Peaches is the one standing. He said it was one of those Volvo San Francisco races from back in the day. Happy Friday. ;)

Wow good guesses KP. Elvis confirms that he is in the cockpit and Peaches is the one standing. He said it was one of those Volvo San Francisco races from back in the day. Happy Friday. ;)

Yes it was Susan in the pit and Peaches would have put the pole on the correct ring but he was too busy looking at susan to pay attention!!

• Like 1

Newbie Nardcore, I am sending the usual F##% Off newbie greeting to you. You seem to be a a sailor with some history so let me just say, can I be your other wife?

A notice to all..do not F##% with JAG. He has a whole alter ego.

post-1224-126861393159_thumb.jpg

The first Wet Wednesday of the year and it's gonna be BEAUTIFUL and t-shirt weather.

Please check new SI's..CHRF fleet has a new starting time and changes in the starting

line! :rolleyes:

post-1224-126878864091_thumb.jpg

Where did that J/105 come from, named Phantom? Seems to be kicking butt right off the bat. Who's on it?

I was sad to hear that Fred Rice has passed away. Commodore in 1985 and a wonderful man who gave a lot to the sailing community. Oddly enough, his friend and business partner of 50 years, Fess Parker passed away the next day. Rest in Peace Fred and best wishes to Fred Jr. and the rest of the family.

post-1224-126741018127_thumb.jpgpost-1224-126741018127_thumb.jpg My favorites were the two gals, Rae and Karen who beat us and did a mighty fine job of putting the chute up with just the two of them.

My next boat: Harbor 20! (Make that an Ocean-20!)

Yeah, I never hear of anything sailing wise in that area. All I remember about Channel Islands YC was that everyone looked like they were from Bakersfield and they wore name tags . Heard that the Commodore of PCYC got booted for some indiscretions. Ventura YC still has a decent race schedule although Ventura Cup has been dying in participation over the years due to poor RC work and unusual team entry "guidelines".

In SB we still have an active fleet of about 19 J/24's, a growing fleet of J/105's and a new fleet of Melges 24 plus the PHRF & CHRF fleets, we have about 60 boats on the line for Weds.

Anacapa Yacht Club in Channel Islands Harbor was the best racing club in that area for decades. I heard its no longer. Shame. Lots of good sailors got their start there as dock rats. CIYC was mainly a drinking club. PCYC had a decent racing program. Unfortunately, the big clubs like PCYC and Ventura are being invaded by battery boat owners who have houses on the water. Less and less racing interest in that area. Too bad.

Will there be a windy WW next week?

It looked like a perfect day for the annual Gaucho Regatta which is one of the top High School competitions and attracts teams from many states, including Hawaii. By history it has been a very windy event but today was nice with 8-13 knots. The event is hosted by the UCSB Sailing Team and SBYC with Dana Jones as the PRO. The kids are all racing in CFJ's. For info on the Santa Barbara Youth Foundation see www.sbyf.org. I'm hoping KP might give us some clues on standings after the first day. Earth to KP?? :rolleyes: How are the locals doing?