Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

MONEY!

Putting the squeeze on at the Melges 24 California Cup, local teams of AWB (Kent Pierce) and Lounge Act (Loren Colahan) brought home some booty with 2nd and 3rd places overall in the event. Vince Brun taking first. Excellent. :rolleyes:

post-1224-127292887983_thumb.jpg

Kit - sweet video! AWB and Skein Dhu great job in SD! Taxi, bet you had a great time, heard Peder was having alcohol withdrawals and had to get off the boat...again. ;-)

No results on the Spring PHRF? What happened? I was in Austin for a few days.

Missed Larry L. birthday celebration. He's a long time race volunteer and a damn good skipper. Happy Birthday Condor! :rolleyes:

No results on the Spring PHRF? What happened? I was in Austin for a few days.

Missed Larry L. birthday celebration. He's a long time race volunteer and a damn good skipper. Happy Birthday Condor! :rolleyes:

New City law; No celebrating any "Larry" birthdays. Town burn down!

:huh::P

From what I remember:

A/B Fleet:

1st: Skian Dhu- 3

2nd: Taxi Dancer- 5

3rd: Bebe - 6

4th: Prevail- 6

I don't recall how C/D fleet ended up... :(

C/D

1st - Blue's Crews - 2

2nd - Rush Street - 4

3rd - Sleeper - 6

Lots of shifts, big waves, we split up by large distances. In the end, Blue's won two races, by 5 secs and by 4 secs.

Close at the end!

Here's some video from a downwind training run we did on Friday. Its better to click for a bigger vid.

-Kit

Great video!

Just a question: 25 knots wind and no life-jackets, harnesses?

Good question since we've (SBYC sailors) have already had a couple of serious injuries and MOB's already this year.

Wow, where did you get that picture? I think I am in it as well as Tom Issacson and Gary Gordon. Maybe Gary Weisman is driving. It is from the 70's. The owner was a real character,

Hastings Harcourt, he never raced on the boat and passed on over 20 years ago. One of his last fiascos was getting caught by his wife in the jacuzzi with his nurse. :unsure:

Janer

Breeze tonight for Wet Wed?

Anyone know anything about a harbor patrol rescue of sailboat Monday afternoon?

I usually defer to Mark or Dirk for wind predictions, but I think I can handle this one. It will blow 17-29 knots everyday except on the days we race (Last Sat and today Weds) at which time it will be 0 - 6 knots and lumpy. B)

Another oldie but goodie. Probably Jimmy sitting on the cabin top. Kevin won three National Championships with The Source back in the day.

Got a note about the Ventura Cup Regatta from Ventura...

"The format for the 2010 event will again echo that of Long Beach Race Week and the PHRF Championships, with individual competition in spinnaker and non-spinnaker classes in the Santa Barbara Channel Challenge and 3-boat team competition for the Ventura Cup.

On day 1, there will be a windward leeward race, followed by a windward leeward/triangle course race. On day 2, there will be a random leg distance race."

...except the PHRF champs and LBRW have no non-spinnaker competition; and you choose to sail either random leg or round-the-buoys in those regattas, but don't do both.

We did this last year, and it was fun and well-run. I'd rather see more buoy racing than the distance race, but it was a good trip. However, I sure miss the Ventura Cup as a real race venue. Right now the key part of a team is the non-spinnaker boat.

Just not right...

skiff fest this weekend in SB

29ers, I14s, wetta tris, and Moths

weather service is not helping

predicted 5 to 7 kts both days - we're fucked - and the moth guys worse - no flying this weekend

"The format for the 2010 event will again echo that of Long Beach Race Week and the PHRF Championships, with individual competition in spinnaker and non-spinnaker classes in the Santa Barbara Channel Challenge and 3-boat team competition for the Ventura Cup.

On day 1, there will be a windward leeward race, followed by a windward leeward/triangle course race. On day 2, there will be a random leg distance race."

...except the PHRF champs and LBRW have no non-spinnaker competition; and you choose to sail either random leg or round-the-buoys in those regattas, but don't do both.

We did this last year, and it was fun and well-run. I'd rather see more buoy racing than the distance race, but it was a good trip. However, I sure miss the Ventura Cup as a real race venue. Right now the key part of a team is the non-spinnaker boat.

Just not right...

Don't worry,

They have 4 months to screw it up like they always do!

:ph34r:

Just not right...

:lol::lol::D:angry:

Ventucky Cup? Spare me. This makes the third year that they have said "patterned after the highly successful Long Beach Race Week and PHRF Championship." In actual fact the only similarity is that they are both run on the water. The highly successful PHRF Championship was abandoned last year due to lack of interest. LBRW on the other hand focuses on one design fleets and I mean lots of them; 91 boats raced one design this year and 6 boats did a random leg course. Random leg dosen't even belong in bouy race regatta as far as I am concerned. And a non-spinnaker class as a mandatory part of the team racing aspect, jeez I don't even want to respond that fucking idiotic idea.

I love my pals in Ventucky, but as far as regatta organization....

post-1224-127386039028_thumb.jpg

how come no one is talking ao=bout the Hardway Race tomorrow? Is anyone going? Looking for a ride on a fast tri. pm me Or else I'll try to get into tje skiff festival thanks.

Fun day but not a big boat or ULDB day for sure. Congrats to the winners.

SB is a great place to start a race, if only for the night before dining.

Harbor Patrol managed to find slips for everybody.

SBYC is a great place for after dinner drinks, provided someone can find a visiting yacht club card (we did)

And it was a great wind day for the Hardway, topping 20 knots in the afternoon. Took us 3:37 around Anacapa, the 47 mile course for us wimps.

sad.gif

It be's that way sometimes...

skiff fest this weekend in SB

29ers, I14s, wetta tris, and Moths

weather service is not helping

predicted 5 to 7 kts both days - we're fucked - and the moth guys worse - no flying this weekend

Pete M,

It looked like a pretty nice weekend for the skiff festival, seems like up to 14 knots yesterday, today lighter and choppy. You looked like you were having fun and in first place in the race I watched. :rolleyes:

post-1224-127405440151_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127405442246_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127405448406_thumb.jpg

thx janer - ended up winning the thing - in a close three way race for first

Only 4 boats did the long course for Hardway......pretty crazy that more didn't do it. What need to happen to get more people to do it?

It was fun, 25k of breeze down the outside until the parking lot near smugglers, and then a fast 2 sail reach to the finish, still made it before closing time.

Congrats to Bebe, staying outside was the thing to do.

Local J/105 owner Bernie Girod has been named interim President of the J/105 Class. Joerg Esdorn gave up his presidency after an on the water indescretion. Bernie has been a very active in out of town and out of state events for some time and a GREAT guy. The class could not ask for a better Pres. It's also rumored that he is shopping for a Farr 40 :rolleyes:

Rut Roh,

Next Wednesday is the Annual Golf Tournament/drunk fest. So that means that HE will be coming to town. Beware, do not try to emulate him nor berate him. HE sometimes wears a costume and HE will drink you under the table. Considered dangerous as soon as his plane lands in SB.

transgender..pdf

Oh, dear. Lock up the women and children! Someone several posts ago spoke about how great Santa Barbara is the night before a regatta. I remember a Friday night before a major J-24 regatta many, many years ago trolling State Street with HIM at 1:00 am after a heart-attack inducing dinner of greasy Mexican food at Casablanca (those were the good ole days--we used to sit at the table and throw tortilla chips up into the ever-spinning ceiling fans hoping they would come down between the blades without being shredded to bits--wait a minute--I digress. No, I don't. Practicing hand-to-eye coordination is everything in small boat racing!).

Needless to say, we lost.

...a heart-attack inducing dinner of greasy Mexican food at Casablanca ...

Ah, the good old days at Casa Gato...

Followed up with a nightcap at Joe's...

It's blowing dogs off chains AGAIN, and predicted to continue tomorrow. It should be great for the J/105's, the Melges 24's not so much. I'll be on the Race Committee boat (barf)

It's blowing dogs off chains AGAIN, and predicted to continue tomorrow. It should be great for the J/105's, the Melges 24's not so much. I'll be on the Race Committee boat (barf)

I love SB Racing when it's blowing 30+. You are one yacht club that doesn't wimp out just when the conditions are getting fun. Tell Harteck to eat a big breakfast.

GNARLY! As predicted and even more wind than we expected. 20 to 30 all day and on the RC boat trying to get back to the harbor we saw 38 knots. We saw lots of great boat handling with the Melges 24's and J/105's but there was definitely some carnage. Mark Noble won the J/105 fleet and Eric Stoke the Melges fleet. No rigs down and no MOB's so happy about that. Congrats to all who stayed out there and raced and came home safe.

post-1224-127458691431_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127458695027_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127458699799_thumb.jpg

Nice shots Janers.

We finished the first race hitting over 15. Is that the shot of us under spinnaker?

Thanks to you and the other RC crew for giving us a great day yesterday. Fun racing.

T

YEAH! Pat Toole of SB won the J/24 North American Championship today in Seattle. Big Congrats to the 3 Big Dog team, Chris, Dale, George Witter. You guys rock.

post-1224-127467154231_thumb.jpg

Congratulations 3 Big Dogs!!! There is a very deep field for "Outstanding Out of Town Accomplishment" in 2010, and we are less than halfway through the year!

Nice shots Janers.

We finished the first race hitting over 15. Is that the shot of us under spinnaker?

Thanks to you and the other RC crew for giving us a great day yesterday. Fun racing.

T

T,

Yes it's the Rock n'Roll. The same shot has been posted on today's 'Lectric Latitude (www.latitude38.com)under "Weekend Racing". Can you let Bernie know?

Congratulations to Escapade on sailing great in difficult conditions. The upside of sailing around in DFL all day is that we got a clear view of all the wipeouts.

Congratulations Dogs! You guys were definitely on a roll in SB and it's nice to see you carried it through to the NA's. Class act...

Congrats 3 Chihuahua's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When all the world is young,lad,

And all the trees are green;

And every goose a swan,lad,

And every lass a queen;

Then hey for boot and horse,lad,

And round the world away:

Young blood must have its course,lad,

And every dog his day.

Charles Kingsley 1819-1875

Good job doggies.

Wet Wed tonight should be fun.

Mandatory MOB drill during the race for all boats. Timed drill and reported to the RC afterwards.

Wonder if it will cover the H-fleet, too. That could be interesting...

(next time they might require it's under spinnaker)

Wet Wed tonight should be fun.

Mandatory MOB drill during the race for all boats. Timed drill and reported to the RC afterwards.

Wonder if it will cover the H-fleet, too. That could be interesting...

(next time they might require it's under spinnaker)

how did the mandatory mob drill go last night?

It was interesting. Everyone did it. There were some pretty short pickup times claimed. The instructions called for going at least two boat lengths before starting the recovery. Several boats claimed times in the 35- 45 second range. Probably not textbook COB recovery moves there.

Dr. Laura did a cool thing. She put on a wetsuit and actually went in the water (the rest of us used a PFD or something). Her crew swung around and picked her up smoothly, I understand. Also, they did it right in front of the club.

Interesting idea, and a good thing for everyone to know how to do. It actually led to a discussion on our boat as to why the turn is done the way it is, so educational for some of the crew.

One owner who wasn't out there said if he had been, he'd do it under chute. That's the one that scares him the most, so practice it.

As Full Circle knows, the Coast Guard is adamently oppossed to any MOB drills using live humans, so please don't try it. :huh:

Better yet,let's use convicted felons like child rapists. We could schedule it for a moonless windy night. To make it more realistic we could all drink before and the felons wouldn't have lifejackets. We all get good MOB practice and the state ends up saving money.

The breeze is coming up, clouds coming in..we're gonna postpone Flippin' Fridays for another week. Any gals who want to meet at the Club instead & do some drinking drills?

Oh, and we've been asked to curb our enthusiasm about the Friday night races! B)

UCSB co-ed.pdf

Could be a bit rough for the Santa Cruz Island Race and overnight! :o

PZZ670-282215-

WATERS FROM PT. PIEDRAS BLANCAS TO PT. ARGUELLO AND WESTWARD 60 NM-

855 AM PDT FRI MAY 28 2010

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH

SATURDAY MORNING...

TODAY

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT INCREASING TO 20 TO 25 KT WITH

FREQUENT GUSTS TO 35 KT LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 8 TO

10 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 10 SECONDS.

TONIGHT

NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 35 KT...BECOMING

N 20 TO 25 KT LATE. COMBINED SEAS 9 TO 11 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 9

SECONDS.

SAT

N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...BECOMING NW 15 TO 20 KT IN THE LATE

MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON...THEN INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE

IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 7 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 9

SECONDS.

SAT NIGHT

NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25 KT AFTER

MIDNIGHT. COMBINED SEAS 8 TO 10 FT.

SUN

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. COMBINED SEAS 8 TO 10 FT.

SUN NIGHT

NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 35 KT.

COMBINED SEAS 8 TO 10 FT. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Could be a bit rough for the Santa Cruz Island Race and overnight! :o

PZZ670-282215-

WATERS FROM PT. PIEDRAS BLANCAS TO PT. ARGUELLO AND WESTWARD 60 NM-

855 AM PDT FRI MAY 28 2010

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH

SATURDAY MORNING...

TODAY

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT INCREASING TO 20 TO 25 KT WITH

FREQUENT GUSTS TO 35 KT LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 8 TO

10 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 10 SECONDS.

TONIGHT

NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 35 KT...BECOMING

N 20 TO 25 KT LATE. COMBINED SEAS 9 TO 11 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 9

SECONDS.

SAT

N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...BECOMING NW 15 TO 20 KT IN THE LATE

MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON...THEN INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE

IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS 7 TO 9 FT DOMINANT PERIOD 9

SECONDS.

SAT NIGHT

NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25 KT AFTER

MIDNIGHT. COMBINED SEAS 8 TO 10 FT.

SUN

NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. COMBINED SEAS 8 TO 10 FT.

SUN NIGHT

NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 35 KT.

COMBINED SEAS 8 TO 10 FT. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Yes, another chance for Darwin to claim those that he missed last week! Remember to stay with the boat. The two boats lost last weekend sailed onto the beach without their people. Most of the time the boats can take more than we can.

Saturday's Fulmore Race to Santa Cruz Island was a bust. With gale warnings still in place they opted for an oil rig race off of Goleta which Prevail won over Taxi Dancer and only 2 other boats. A bunch of us headed for Santa Cruz early Sunday and had a beautiful visit to the island augmented by traveling dinghy cocktail parties and whales breaching near by.

Next Friday the Flippin'Fridays in FJ's for gals will begin as well as dudes in Lasers (organized by Pat Toole, it's BYOL, bring your own Laser) with debriefing for both groups in the YC bar. Saturday there are two women skipper races. Find your pony and race it!

post-1224-127535138458_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes: Correction: The Women Skipper Championship Race and Wilmot Hughes trophy will be raced on SUNDAY. Must have PHRF rating. Flippin' Fridays starts tomorrow in the FJ's.

Monthly Sail Policy meeting is tonight. Here's a question for you:to Why is it that CHRF racers do not have to participate in sharing Race Committee duties. 50% of the boats out on Weds. are CHRF and yet 100% of the RC duties, protest and arbitration duties go to one design and PHRF racers? :blink:

:rolleyes: Correction: The Women Skipper Championship Race and Wilmot Hughes trophy will be raced on SUNDAY. Must have PHRF rating. Flippin' Fridays starts tomorrow in the FJ's.

Monthly Sail Policy meeting is tonight. Here's a question for you:to Why is it that CHRF racers do not have to participate in sharing Race Committee duties. 50% of the boats out on Weds. are CHRF and yet 100% of the RC duties, protest and arbitration duties go to one design and PHRF racers? :blink:

As a one-design racer of 16 years who now races CHRF ("the fun fleet?" friggin' forget about it! We were out kicking butt last night H or no H!) I would welcome contributing to the process by serving on race committee. While the fleet may include boats that are not high performance yet want the racing experience, there is no reason why we shouldn't be called upon to do our fair share. Perhaps we should divide race committee duties in direct proportion to the number of pages in Scuttlebutt dedicated to the cruising fleet? Did I say that?! Yep. I think CHRF racers would step up to the opportunity, so give us a chance.

See you on the flip side tomorrow night (I just located my knee pads....thank goodness!).

Last week I had the opportunity to race in the CHRF fleet. It was good fun and obvious that others felt the same as reflected by the number of boats. Ironically while the CHRF fleet of Santa Barbara flourishes the PHRF fleet is withering on the vine.

Perhaps there's some opportunity to change the CHRF model where boats that actively participate and perform to some level, "graduate" back to their respective PHRF fleets...? Wouldn't that make sense relative to the Southern California racing scene...and the health of the SBYC PHRF program?

Well Thump something needs to be done to get us back on track to build one design and PHRF that's for damn sure. Any creative ideas are needed.

Hey Pete, sounds like you are part of a great crew for the Ditch Run next weekend. I need pics and updates if possible. I've only done it once, definitely an epic race. B)

Last week I had the opportunity to race in the CHRF fleet. It was good fun and obvious that others felt the same as reflected by the number of boats. Ironically while the CHRF fleet of Santa Barbara flourishes the PHRF fleet is withering on the vine.

Perhaps there's some opportunity to change the CHRF model where boats that actively participate and perform to some level, "graduate" back to their respective PHRF fleets...? Wouldn't that make sense relative to the Southern California racing scene...and the health of the SBYC PHRF program?

Interesting thought. Being relatively new to the fleet, I'm not sure why so many CHRF boats (at least in the Wednesday contingent) chose to compete in this fleet as opposed to B, C, etc. Any thoughts?

Taxi was able to beat a fleet of J/24s, J/22 and J/105's so congrats go to them :blink:

Why they don't go out of town and race against other sleds is anyone's guess. I had a blast driving a J/24 with a great crew. B)

Seen in "The Log"

> May 15 • 5:05 p.m. Santa Barbara Harbor Patrol officers responded to Stearns Wharf, where a fisherman reported a seagull had stolen his bait -- along with his

> fishing rod and reel. Officers were unable to locate a seabird dragging a rod and reel.

Taxi was able to beat a fleet of J/24s, J/22 and J/105's so congrats go to them :blink:

Why they don't go out of town and race against other sleds is anyone's guess. I had a blast driving a J/24 with a great crew. B)

Just had to get that jab in there. Couldn't resist it, I guess. Taxi did a great job and deserved to win. They do go out of town and have made our club proud. From now on, let's work on posting positive comments. I'm sure your keyboard has the normal set of keys and is functioning properly.

What's your beef Larry? I write about all the events SB races out of town, I post photographs, support and organize women's events and try to put all the news on SA. Don't be such an ass. I'll write anything I want to write. :rolleyes:

Eric, KP, Pete M, Andrea and Chewy are bringing it on Average White Boat. Bill Lannan and crew and Mike Wolfe and crew are also doing the Ditch Run this weekend. :P Bombs away!

I guess Mad Max bailed. <_<

What's your beef Larry? I write about all the events SB races out of town, I post photographs, support and organize women's events and try to put all the news on SA. Don't be such an ass. I'll write anything I want to write. :rolleyes:

janer, you are such a bitch! to many hot flashes?

Yep, going to miss the Ditch AGAIN...bummer. Ditch Race is a Blast. Kick some butt Bandito and Average White Bums!

Good news is yard visit is almost done on da Hobie and we have a new polished epoxy bottom, topsides and repainted mast. Time to get back on the course and try and improve participation numbers. Now if I can just get a break from the cockpit! Will need some crew if anyone wants to have some Hobie Days. And yes, I will let you drive.

post-692-127597187434_thumb.jpg

So let's talk about the weather now...sure looking forward to some sunshine.

weather here...

yeah,looks like another very windy Weds. coming up. Hang on.

Yep, going to miss the Ditch AGAIN...bummer. Ditch Race is a Blast. Kick some butt Bandito and Average White Bums!

Good news is yard visit is almost done on da Hobie and we have a new polished epoxy bottom, topsides and repainted mast. Time to get back on the course and try and improve participation numbers. Now if I can just get a break from the cockpit! Will need some crew if anyone wants to have some Hobie Days. And yes, I will let you drive.

Maxman, count me in on the Hobie if you need a big guy on the rail!

How 'bout those Lakers. Hey,they're going out of town and they wear yellow shirts. This can't be good. Oh no! They're evil and must be stopped. Let's trash them. Yellow shirts at home but purple when away. Wait a second, purple is an evil color too. Let's trash them. Still lots of colors left. What about black shirts? Yep,they're bad too. This is so confusing... what about shirts that have 2 colors? Let's say red and gray. Got to be bad. Trash them. You wear a colored shirt, you're evil. Trash them. What is the right color shirt? Is there one? Let's all go shirtless.

How 'bout those Lakers. Hey,they're going out of town and they wear yellow shirts. This can't be good. Oh no! They're evil and must be stopped. Let's trash them. Yellow shirts at home but purple when away. Wait a second, purple is an evil color too. Let's trash them. Still lots of colors left. What about black shirts? Yep,they're bad too. This is so confusing... what about shirts that have 2 colors? Let's say red and gray. Got to be bad. Trash them. You wear a colored shirt, you're evil. Trash them. What is the right color shirt? Is there one? Let's all go shirtless.

I tried that. My crew offered me money to put it back on.

I hear some music in the distance. I can't tell if it the theme from "Jaws" or the "Wicked Witch of the West".

Jig it a bit and it will bite, Repeat Depender.

Maxman, count me in on the Hobie if you need a big guy on the rail!

Perfect Grant. Bring your better half too.

Flippin Friday got off to a great start last Friday with 10 gals sailing and 5 of them Newbies. Most of these gals have sailed in bigger boats so tipping of these boats (FJ's)is something new, but a great learning experience for all. Thanks to Thomas Dabney and Thomas Tunberg for doing RC and towing. Practice fun races will go on thru the summer and then a womens regatta (Shalhoob Regatta) at the end to see what we have really learned. It's a great program and we all donate money to the Youth Foundation in return for the use of the boats. Great gals!

janer, you are such a bitch! to many hot flashes?

Okay, people. Can we all just call a friggin' truce? A lot more people would be willing to participate in what is a useful blog if we could institute some rules of civility in our posts which inevitably will contain differences of opinion. Everyone who wants to participate, say "Aye!" If not, at least if you intend to bash someone, use the English language appropriately: Ducky, that would be TOO many hot flashes (two Os). Anyone want to put up the definition for "Corinthian?"

GAY

ahhh...

post-37435-127610403538_thumb.jpg

GAY