Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

A new one design fleet in Santa Barbara! Yes, the Harbor 20's are drawing lots of attention. Five in the SB already and potential owners are scanning the web looking for boats for sale. I had a blast sailing last night with Rear Commodore Jack. All 5 boats were out for a sailing/starting drill put on by Kenny followed by a debrief (cocktails) at Endless Summer. ;)

Best wishes to Prevail crew in the Coastal Cup, comin' right up!

Best wishes to Prevail crew in the Coastal Cup, comin' right up!

Should be breeze on until Pt. Conception. Could be light from Gaviota to SB. Looks like more breeze outside, all the way down. Stay off the beach!

Yeah, looks good for today and tomorrow, 20-30 at Conception. It's a 227 mile race. Any guestimates on LIMITs finish time?

Yeah, looks good for today and tomorrow, 20-30 at Conception. It's a 227 mile race. Any guestimates on LIMITs finish time?

Well, considering Samba Pa Ti's record of 23:29:45, a 9:29 AM finish in 2007, I am putting my guess in at 7:00 AM.

I'll stop by the harbor on my way to work and check on it!

The bummer is..where in the heck is Prevail? Not on the plotter at all???

Not bad Bobbo, they finished at 8:14 this morning in a 10 knot easterly. :P

post-1224-12768752335_thumb.jpg

Congrats to the Prevail crew, pretty much unscathed in the Coastal Cup, no round-ups and no damage in the heavy air which wreaked havoc on several boats. Only one dismasting (bummer)There are still boats out there at 9:15. Prevail finished around 4pm. The J/125 Ocelot is still in the running for first on corrected time.

post-1224-127692100788_thumb.jpg

Damn, I had all good intentions to go out and shoot Wed Weds with two of my sailing/photogapher pals tonight. Pretty perfect 14 knots and flat seas. Perfect until I could not get the outboards to fire up. Checked lots of things but to not avail. Shot a few from the breakwater on my way to the Club. Results: Big Gods Dogs winning the J/24 again, Taxi corrected out over themselves to win A Class, Bebe wins B class, Blue Crews C class, Tax Bill win Melges 24 class, Grappa the Chrf class; Free Enterprise beat Rock n Roll by 11 seconds in the J/105 class.

Speaking of classes the Flippin Friday gals are having a seminar Friday night at SBYC and not sailing.

Still wondering about my pal Morgan who is doing the around Ireland race on an open 60. Should be finishing soon. Website not that great.

post-1224-127735316846_thumb.jpg

Nice piece by Deneen on the front page. She's about to start the Tour de France again in her Mumm 30. Looking forward to more reports.

SBYC member Morgan Crowe took first in class in his chartered Open 60 in the Round Ireland Race. He said the most grueling part was delivering the boat.

Flippin' Fridays..once again a learning experience. We did a little racing seminar downstairs at the YC with videos, and chalk talk with input from Pat Toole, Dana Jones and Leslie Deardorff. Next Friday, back to sailing. Great group of women participating.

Tomorrow, Semana Nautica, a regatta that started about 50 years ago when a visiting Navy crew challenged locals to a yacht race. Tomorrow a whole bunch of Lasers and Sabots will be racing. Good times. :)

WEEKEND SCORE BOARD

54 boats competed in Semana Nautica on Saturday. Pat Toole (SBYC) won the Laser Class, follwed by Brian Cottrell (KHYC), Sky Adams, Scott Deardorff and George Witter all of SB. Chance Weston (KHYC) won the Sabot A/B class followed by Cuyler Zimmerman, Sabot Class C was won by Frankie Doyle (SBSSA).

No bragging rights at Long Beach Race Week. Skian Dhu 5th in Farr 40 Class, Rock n'Roll 8th in the J/105 Class and Rush Street 3rd in J/29 Class.

The CHRF fleet had 20 boats out on Sunday. Psyche's Song first place followed by Kalimera.

The first race of the Tour de France a la Voile sounded like a bust with less than 5 knots wind and 2 knots of current. Deneen faired well with a 7th.

post-1224-127775162389_thumb.jpg

photo by Jean-Marie Liot

No bragging rights at Long Beach Race Week. Skian Dhu 5th in Farr 40 Class, Rock n'Roll 8th in the J/105 Class and Rush Street 3rd in J/29 Class.

Hey, I say bragging rights to Skian Dhu, Rock n Roll, and Rush Street for making the trip and sailing in the event.

Naturally we would have all liked to win it, but a great event and a lot of fun sailing. Very un-Long Beach this year, with medium air, max about 12, mostly 8-10 knots. Catalina eddy conditions, very shifty all weekend, wind mostly southerly.

And one-design racing - what a ball! We had several finishes within 10 seconds of the next place up or down, and finished three of seven races overlapped.

Santa Barbara? You have boats there? Any racing?

Santa Barbara is a beautiful venue for almost any kind of sailing.

+1

Santa Barbara? You have boats there? Any racing?

Santa Barbara is a beautiful venue for almost any kind of sailing.

Beautiful harbor and coastline, surfing, big boat sailing, skiff sailing and lots of cats on the beach, kite boarding

Pretty ideal and lots of nice water people.

post-42145-127778175732_thumb.jpg

yes it is. What big boat events do you have there?

Fiesta Cup one design regatta:

24 - 25 July

King Harbor Race:

30 July - 1 August

Also, every Wednesday and lots of weekend events.

July 24 & 25

post-1224-127790403844_thumb.jpg

Fiesta Cup: Farr 40's, J/105's and Flying Tigers.

post-1224-127790427437_thumb.jpg (Sharon Green photos)

Beach party.

Santa Barbara to King Harbor Race the following weekend. 140 boats 24 to 70 feet.

Party

It's a rare day indeed when the Farr 40 can outpace the RP 70 for an entire race, it was nice looking BACK at Taxi for a change. We managed with a bit of a short crew, owner on the bow, Jules at mast (fresh from a 6 mo pregnancy leave)Caroline- pit boss, me and Paul on sheets, Chris on main and JAG driving. Next week I promise to remember the post race Mt.Gay.

Other class winners for Wet Weds: Bebe, Blues Crews, Prime Time (CHRF 26 boats!), Johnny D on Rock n'Groove dominated the J/105's including guest helmsman Alan Field on Perfect Timing. (Alan just won the Melges 24 National Championship) Electric Pumpkin took J/24s and AWB won in the Melges 24's.

It's still hard to figure out how Deneen is doing in Tour de France a la Voile, the French website is difficult to navigate.

It appears that she has had finishes between 2 and 11 in the 28 boat fleet. America's Cup skipper Bertand Pace is in first place.

Anyone read French?

post-1224-127799963838_thumb.jpg

oil painting by Morgan Green

Beautiful Morgan!biggrin.gif

Very Nice Morgan!!!!

Not much wind but a great time doin' the Flippin Friday

post-1224-127813327716_thumb.jpg

Anyone looking for an extra crew this week? My usual ride (Rush St) is on the hard. I can do pretty much any position on the boat. I'm also happy to just sit on the rail and think heavy thoughts.

Try the usual newbie routine, (yeah, I know you're not a newbie but it works) Sit on the wall in front of the YC.

This weekend is the Star Lipton Cup Regatta which I believe is their West Coast Championship so big turnout. I'll be doing RC with Austin (Chair) and KP. Should be an excellent event. The trophy is the largest and most beautiful at SBYC, given out since 1923.

Past winners include Cayard 2006,Vince Brun 1981, Robbie Haines 1978, Dennis Conner 1977; and locals Bob Kieding 1974, Bill Gerard 1997 & 1980. Most wins Lowell North 8 times. B)

post-1224-127847236638_thumb.jpg

Very Nice Morgan!!!!

Sweet! Morgan, you are a woman of many talents, on the race course and off. Truly a lovely painting. Thanks for sharing, B.

Oliver Toole and Hans (USA) punched out at the 49er Europeans in Poland. Excellent.post-1224-127869154537_thumb.jpgpost-1224-127869156651_thumb.jpg

No lack of talent here at the Star Lipton Cup Regatta. Nineteen Stars raced 4 races today in moderate winds and overcast conditions. Three past World Champions Mark Reynolds, George Szabo and Eric Doyle are in the hunt with Reynolds in first place after today's racing. Local John Ziskind is crewing for Eric Doyle. Great race committee work in shifting winds kept everyone happy. Great party at the YC afterwards followed by a 40th birthday party for Eric Doyle.

post-1224-127881664613_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127881666883_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127881669375_thumb.jpg

Another great day of racing for the Star Lipton Cup in Santa Barbara today. Lots of changes in finishes from yesterday. Ben Mitchell and Mike Marzhal had a great day with 1,2,2 but it did not make up for yesterdays results of 8,10,10, 5. Mark Reynolds and Hal Hanel kept their lead and finished first in the overall results with 13 points. Second was Steve Gould and Greg Sieck 20 points, 3rd Eric Doyle and John Ziskind with 25 points, 4th George Szabo and Isao Toyama (Correction on previous post, it was Szabo's birthday party last night and some sailors looked a little rough this morning after doing the State Street crawl.

Today Sharon Green joined me on the weather mark RC boat and got lots of great shots which were shown at the YC at the after party. An excellent event that SBYC loves to host. Star sailors, definitely a class act. It was great to see local Robbie Grant crewing today, racing editor for Latitude 38. Pics later, Sharon and I shot about 500 pics today.

post-1224-127890106891_thumb.jpg

More pics from the Star Lipton Cup Santa Barbara Yacht Club

post-1224-127895781066_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127895783057_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127895785384_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127895788353_thumb.jpg

Nice Shots Janer.

Especially like the Gold Stars...meaning past World Champs!

Kudos and Congratulation to SBYC Jr. Tucker Atterbury on his 2nd place finish in the just completed 29er Pacific Coast Championships held at the infamous Columbia Gorge. He mastered the 20-25 knot conditions and out sailed two time Olympic medalist Charlie McKee to earn his silver medal. Way to represent Tucker!! We'll see how you do against the old man at the next laser race:)

post-35287-127900048666_thumb.jpg

Kudos and Congratulation to SBYC Jr. Tucker Atterbury on his 2nd place finish in the just completed 29er Pacific Coast Championships held at the infamous Columbia Gorge. He mastered the 20-25 knot conditions and out sailed two time Olympic medalist Charlie McKee to earn his silver medal. Way to represent Tucker!! We'll see how you do against the old man at the next laser race:)

Congrats and Well Done!

Any particular reason why Charlie McKee was racing in a 29er race? Seems a bit odd...

Big Congrats to Tucker. Will he be sailing in the Jr. Olympics in Santa Barbara this weekend? B)

Congrats and Well Done!

Any particular reason why Charlie McKee was racing in a 29er race? Seems a bit odd...

well done indeed - but to set the record straight - it was Kristen Lane driving with crew /coach Charlie McKee, stepping off her usual Melges 24

she was up there at the gorge in the 29ers last year too, just learning - and Charlie seems a bit big for 29ers, but Kristen is kinda small

looks like a windy regatta - only half the 29ers and I14s sailed all the races -and only 1 Musto skiff sailed all the races, and a grand total of none races were sailed by any of the swift solos.

Jr. Olympics in Santa Barbara! An incredible event with so many volunteers from lots of yacht clubs. About 250 kids sailed today on 3 race courses; Optis, Laser, Laser Radial, 420's, 29er's and FJ's. Four races today in medium wind with chop. Clinics every morning with coaches and then out to the open ocean to battle it out. Our future, these kids. Updates,results etc are at www.socaljosf.com an excellent up to the minute web site. I'll attach a few of my pics, but the real pics are being taken by Sharon Green whose photos will be used for trophies. SBYC is doing a great job with this big event, thanks to all the volunteers.

post-1224-127934063917_thumb.jpgpost-1224-127934066781_thumb.jpg

post-1224-127934103124_thumb.jpg

Congrats to Lounge Act for winning the High Sierra Regatta Class A at Huntington Lake this weekend!

Loren, JAG, JO and Casey, nicely done.

:rolleyes::D

post-1224-127955198493_thumb.jpg

Kate Rakelly & Colleen Hacket of MBYC won the 420 class (21 boats) at the Jr. Olympics and the Bemis Trophy.

post-1224-127974278261_thumb.jpg

Top Opti Skippers: 1st Place Will Cefali (SFYC), 2nd Quinn Wilson SBYC, 3rd Cooper Weitz (CYC) out of 46 boats.

post-1224-127974314738_thumb.jpg

Optimist White Fleet:

1st Place Cameron Feves CBYC

2nd Place Patch Curtis SBYC

3rd Mattie Pierce SBYC

post-1224-127974371326_thumb.jpg

Not so much fun at Wet Wednesday when you get rammed in the butt by a 70 footer at the start. Pretty scarey watching them close the gap at speed. Damage, yes. The whole senario was augmented by a J/24 who was in our starting area and had no one looking to leward and evasive action caused the Farr 40 and Taxi to change their course, ending up with, "In the butt, Bob." as Taxi hit our transom with speed. Damn. :(

Weather looks great. Fog in the morning clearing about noon with 11-15 knots. Registration continues 8-10 am, with J/105 weigh ins as well. Crew breakfast at SBYC after :8:30am. Beach party with band and free beer (Firestone the best) and band after Sat racing. Hope you are coming girlfriend. yahoo.

Fiesta Cup had a slow start in light air but continued to build over the day. We finally moved the whole course up by the point were there was better wind. Dark Star with Jeff Janov and Dave Ullman had a great day 1,1,2 in the Farr 40s, followed closely by Piranha and Farr Niente. Blink from SDYC had a great day in the J/105 class with 8 points followed by 3 Santa Barbara boats with 10 points each. Not an ideal racing day but the RC did a great job of shifting marks with the shifts. Beach party afterward,no complaints there. Free beer, food, Mai tai and the great Spencer the Gardner band. Hoping for bigger winds in the morning. Great group of competitors!

Tomorrow 2 more races

post-1224-128003388935_thumb.jpg

post-1224-128003383199_thumb.jpg

post-1224-128003380614_thumb.jpg

go, Dana -

Third consecutive weekend of running high-level regattas, with SB- KH this coming weekend. At 90 entries as of Friday, with more coming in.

Great to have Dana to keep all this running. nice work.

Final Results Fiesta Cup Farr 40 Class

1. Dark Star Jeff Janov Cal YC 1,1,2,3,4,4 Total 15

2. Far Niente Frederic Scheer Cal YC 2,4,3,1,2,3 Total 15

3. Skian Dhu Dirk Freeland SBYC 5,2,4,2,5,2 Total 20

4. Temptress Ray Godwin LBYC 3,5,7,6,1,1 Total 23

5. Piranha David Voss Cal YC 4,3,1,4,3, OCS Total 23

6. Jo Ann Steve Murphy SLBYC 6,6,6,7,6,5 Total 36

7. White Knight Zoltan Katinszky CBYC 7,7,5,5,7,6 Total 37

post-1224-128016202961_thumb.jpgpost-1224-128016214121_thumb.jpg

Final Results Fiesta Cup J/105 Class

1. Repeat Offender Larry Harteck SBYC 5,4,1,2,4,3 Total 19

2. Free Enterprise Rasmussen/Tedd White SBYC 4,1,6,6,1,2 Total 20

3. Rock & Roll Bernie Girod SBYC 1,2,7,4,7,1 Total 22

4. Escapade Mark Noble SBYC 6,6,4,1,2,5 Total 24

5. Perfect Timing 2 Durbeck/Ziskind j3,5,2,3,5,7 Total 25

6. Blink Steve Howell SDYC 2,3,3,7,8,6 Total 29

7. Phantom John Blair SBYC 7,7,5,5,6,4 Total 34

8. Off the Porch Scott McDaniel SLBYC 8,9,8,9,3,8 Total 45

9. Twelve Bar Blues Chuck Spear PSSA 9,8,9,8,9,9 Total 52

post-1224-128016677519_thumb.jpg

post-1224-128016679505_thumb.jpg

Do the Farr 40's have a class start in Santa Barb ara - King Harbor Race?

How many total entries, over 100 yet?

Entry list can be seen at www.sbyc.org

Looks good. SB has been in the mode of fog, light air and then sun and 11-17 knots in the afternoon.

Mark, any predictions please?

As of Tuesday, 108 boats entered for SB-KH. Farr 40's have a class - 7 boats.

Updated entry list should be up tomorrow.

Today will be the big parade of boats arriving from LA/Long Beach and Santa Barbara Harbor is booked to the limit with Akela, 5 sleds, 2 SC50, 3 SC 52's, 7 Farr 40's, some TP 52's and about 80 other out of town boats of various sizes. B) Let the party begin!

Final Results Fiesta Cup J/105 Class

1. Repeat Offender Larry Harteck SBYC 5,4,1,2,4,3 Total 19

2. Free Enterprise Rasmussen/Tedd White SBYC 4,1,6,6,1,2 Total 20

3. Rock & Roll Bernie Girod SBYC 1,2,7,4,7,1 Total 22

4. Escapade Mark Noble SBYC 6,6,4,1,2,5 Total 24

5. Perfect Timing 2 Durbeck/Ziskind j3,5,2,3,5,7 Total 25

6. Blink Steve Howell SDYC 2,3,3,7,8,6 Total 29

7. Phantom John Blair SBYC 7,7,5,5,6,4 Total 34

8. Off the Porch Scott McDaniel SLBYC 8,9,8,9,3,8 Total 45

9. Twelve Bar Blues Chuck Spear PSSA 9,8,9,8,9,9 Total 52

j105\'s 3.jpg

J105\'s downwind.jpg

Go the Larry!

Today will be the big parade of boats arriving from LA/Long Beach and Santa Barbara Harbor is booked to the limit with Akela, 5 sleds, 2 SC50, 3 SC 52's, 7 Farr 40's, some TP 52's and about 80 other out of town boats of various sizes. B) Let the party begin!

Time for Cajun Martinis at the Paradise Cafe' Thanks Bill Gibbs for years of shouting the rounds for team AFTERBURNER.

Wow, I'm wondering if this could be the slowest SB-KH Race ever. At 8 pm Taxi Dancer was only doing 1 knot and boats were dropping like flies. Bummer. <_<

It was slow at times and shifty, but never really too bad.

Taxi took some out of us and we did sail into a 10 minute 1-3 knot hole. Was bummed to see them fire up the Volvo and bail. We were having a good race with them. Ironically it went back to 7-9 after they bailed.

Not too many really did DNF, seemed that those who did had been 'in the bay' before and worried it would get worse when in reality it got a little better from 9-MIdnight.

Kudos to Larry Leveille and the Rush Street crew! First in class once again on a 30 year old J/29. Larry spends many hours every year entering all the boat entry data into his computer program. A volunteer above and beyond. Right now he is probably motoring back up the coast with a not-so-large outboard.

Thanks to Larry and the many volunteers who work on this event. Great to see the entries were still above 100. :D And the party was excellent!

Kudos to Larry Leveille and the Rush Street crew! First in class once again on a 30 year old J/29. Larry spends many hours every year entering all the boat entry data into his computer program. A volunteer above and beyond. Right now he is probably motoring back up the coast with a not-so-large outboard.

Not only did Rush St. win the biggest class in the race, for the fourth (?) straight time, but they finished before a whole bunch of bigger boats that started up to half an hour earlier. This includes _all_ of the J105s, a Farr40, a Farr 49, a SC52 and a ULDB 60. A really amazing achievement! I'm sorry I wasn't with you guys.

Time for Cajun Martinis at the Paradise Cafe' Thanks Bill Gibbs for years of shouting the rounds for team AFTERBURNER.

You're welcome Mark. But it's the "Palace Grill" :-)

And its still great!

Not only did Rush St. win the biggest class in the race, for the fourth (?) straight time, but they finished before a whole bunch of bigger boats that started up to half an hour earlier. This includes _all_ of the J105s, a Farr40, a Farr 49, a SC52 and a ULDB 60. A really amazing achievement! I'm sorry I wasn't with you guys.

just guessing here - but i figure this result was due to regularly scheduled "safety meetings" and rhumb line navigation

well done Larry

Nice WW last night. Summer is finally here and it's already feeling like fall.

Yeah, nice 20 knot breeze but a cold one. Even JAG doesn't have a tan this summer!

The fog seems to be fogging the brain cells also. Two collisions last night, one between two women skippers, Alden 42 vs. Beneateau 31, then a couple of J/24's had a shoot out. Skian Dhu is still not repaired the damage from two weeks ago when Taxi Dancer attempted a rear mount on the starting line. :o

PHRF Regatta this weekend...post-1224-086259500 1281634713_thumb.jpg

Skian Dhu is still not repaired the damage from two weeks ago when Taxi Dancer attempted a rear mount on the starting line. :o

PHRF Regatta this weekend

What needs to be done on the Knife for repairs. Is that why the main is so small the last couple weeks?

Who's coming for the PHRF sailing Saturday?

Skian Dhu is still not repaired the damage from two weeks ago when Taxi Dancer attempted a rear mount on the starting line. :o

PHRF Regatta this weekend

What needs to be done on the Knife for repairs. Is that why the main is so small the last couple weeks?

Who's coming for the PHRF sailing Saturday?

Is there something wrong with our main???

yeah! I'm an anarchist!!

They are claiming we have shrinkage! which is sometimes related to water sports. Are the boys OK? JAG, any problems..Pete M..any one want to fess up? Hopefully, the rumor only relates to our cheater main. :unsure:

The short answer is, it is Matt's fault (I know you all thought I was going to say Eric's)!

The longer answer is laziness! We looked at the new cruising main last week when we had no one to sail against and were too lazy to put the full sized main back on... it is only Wet Wed! :D

Guest One of Five

there is a newish Tempest going to Santa Barbara from the UK soon...

km...please enlighten me..what is a Tempest? Hopefully not a relative of Tempesta. We have a good fleet here of 29er's, 49ers, Melges 24..what are the specs on this boat? Could not find anything on line. Sport boat? Someone moving to SB..you? Keep up the good work.

;) janer

km...please enlighten me..what is a Tempest? Hopefully not a relative of Tempesta. We have a good fleet here of 29er's, 49ers, Melges 24..what are the specs on this boat? Could not find anything on line. Sport boat? Someone moving to SB..you? Keep up the good work.

;) janer

Janer, I hope you're being snarky, rather than ignorant. The Tempest was an Olympic class boat for the 1972 and 1976 games. Dennis Conner and Conn Findlay garnered the Bronze medal for the USA in the '76 event. Old, but cool boats.

Tempest

From the Tempest classs website (www.tempestclass.com)

THE BOAT, THE BUILDER, AND THE ASSOCIATION

The International Tempest is a 22-foot, two-man, high-performance keelboat equipped with spinnaker and trapeze. It weighs little more than 1000 lbs.; its fiberglass hull weighs less than 500 lbs., its fin keel weighs about the same, and its 30-ft. aluminum mast adds about 30 lbs. On its trailer, its towing weight is normally less than 2000 lbs.

The Tempest’s main and jib total 247 sq.ft., and its spinnaker adds 225 sq.ft. more. Its powerful, high aspect ratio rig and efficient hull enable it to sail upwind at almost seven knots and tack through less than 90 degrees. It’s best known for its offwind speed, however—it can plane in as little as 13 knots of wind and surf in much less—and its heavy air performance once led an editor of Yachting to call it "the fastest one-design keelboat, period!"

Sailed alongside some of them in my collegiate and Soling days. Very nice, pretty boats that fly...

...and, I can't resist it - what's it rate?

Guest One of Five

;) janer

Sadly not I. It's being purchased and imported for someone in Santa Barbara. I would personally love to have a Tempest fleet in SB and this guy got a deal he couldn't refuse. Fun boats. Regarding the ratings,,, I honestly don't know.

The Flippin' Friday gals are switching to Salty Saturday this weekend. See ya' B)post-1224-009349600 1282137546_thumb.jpg

Remember that song by Little Feat...

You gotta put on your sailin' shoes

Put on your sailin' shoes

Everyone will start to cheer when you

Put on your sailin' shoes

Now, what the hell was that all about?

I guess I'll put mine on tomorrow and see if anyone cheers. B)

post-1224-063176700 1282320705_thumb.jpg

How does being hauled into a protest you knew almost nothing about, being exonerated from blame (because you hadn't been notified of the protest) and then subsequently being DSQ'd by the Protest Committee sound?

I know there's always more to it than one boat's view but the incident took place in a way that we didn't know there was a problem between the two boats below us at the start of race #2. We just kept working our spot on the line and got off a very clean, very fast start. No problems with the boat below us - close quarters but no fouls.

Kinda puts a dent in your regatta. Made our 4th place finish an 18th in the race.

We're requesting a copy of the written findings on this and I've started a thread with a bit more info here in SA:

Escaping A Protest & Still Being DSQ'd

We're rather confused by it and hope to at least learn something by getting the write-up and working through it.

On top of this the protest was initiated by a boat that, at the time, was sitting in 12th place I think and the upshot was they moved up maybe one place overall but may have re-shuffled some of the lead boats somewhat severely. Could and probably should have been handled a bit differently.

On the other hand we were very fast which is a positive take-away.

Jeez Tom,

Something stinks here. I'd like to see the paperwork on this when you get it. <_<

We'll thrash it out a bit and keep the posts going.

However, time will get a bit tight as we're taking R&R to Chicago for the North Americans on the Lake.

Boat gets hauled tomorrow and leaves here on the 30th, Bernie and I set things up on 9/9 and we race 9/13 - 9/19.

Gonna be a lot of fun - especially if we can avoid protests and protest committees.

Anybody have tips for sailing on Lake Michigan? Dick C., Tony, Dave...anybody?

I doubt if you will have any protest problems, as I recall you guys have never been called into the "Room" after all these years of racing Rock n'Roll. Have a blast in Chicago, I've always wanted to race there.

I assume you will appeal the Long Beach incident?

1. We've been called into the Room several times. But our usual response is to forfeit. It really means little to argue for way too many hours, miss dinner (and drinks) and still come away dissatisfied.

2. For Long Beach I'm not sure about seeking redress. It'll probably hinge on whether or not there are blatant errors in the facts or findings.

Win or lose on the water - forget the room unless it's really egregious or there's injuries or serious damage. As an owner and a crew it's hard to get us angry enough to sit through the pain of sorting out the rights and wrongs in a hearing. However, if you get us to our boiling point we'll usually find a way to exact some measure of retaliation. The protesting boat from LB didn't stand a chance on Sunday when in our corner of the ocean.

We had a great crew that performed admirably - Bernie, Julie, Don, Ian, Austin and myself. It's the greatest thing in life to work with people who can handle any complex maneuver efficiently with boat speed maximized. We did extremely well as a team and that's the key ingredient. You and I experienced that with many others on Taxi for several years in her previous SB incarnation and it never leaves you. Back to back to back at Big Boat, overall winner MEXORC, King Harbor winner, Ensenada winner and so much more with a consistent core crew.

Congrats to John Blair w/ Phantom who, in their first larger out of town event, were competitive all weekend. Great job.

Raced a lot of places but not Chicago and we're all very pumped about it. Been there lots on business and love the city.

Haven't seen either one for a while.

BTW any idea what Harlow is doing hanging off the pushpit in the background?

George just completed the Cool Breeze century 100 mile bike ride from Ventura through Santa Barbara and back. He had the Deardorffs, Wilsons, Sandows and of course Christie cheering him on. The guy's an animal!

Skian Dhu is going but our playmate Taxi Dancer is not! waaa post-1224-019715600 1282760777_thumb.jpg

There is usually a huge turnout for this fun race and beach bar b que...

Gotta love it..those occasional Wet Wednesdays where you end up in a blind fog bank that's got wind in it and you're on a big boat looking out for other big boats and then here comes the Harbor 20 fleet skittering around in the fog trying to find the mark. Scarey...I also thought I saw the "Worst Person in the World" winner out there flying her Confederate flag. Alarming!! :ph34r:

Could be a little scarey for the Long Point racers (Newport to Long Point, Catalina)tomorrow with a swell warning for south facing beaches which could make it tough to get ashore. Taxi is going along with a gaggle of the hottest big boats in SoCal. Take lots of food and a BIG anchor and have fun!

Gotta love it..those occasional Wet Wednesdays where you end up in a blind fog bank that's got wind in it and you're on a big boat looking out for other big boats and then here comes the Harbor 20 fleet skittering around in the fog trying to find the mark. Scarey...I also thought I saw the "Worst Person in the World" winner out there flying her Confederate flag. Alarming!! :ph34r:

Could be a little scarey for the Long Point racers (Newport to Long Point, Catalina)tomorrow with a swell warning for south facing beaches which could make it tough to get ashore. Taxi is going along with a gaggle of the hottest big boats in SoCal. Take lots of food and a BIG anchor and have fun!

Janer

You saw Angela Suleman (the woman with six children that went to fertility doctor to have more,eight more!) out sailing last night! Two questions:

1. How does she have time to go sailing

2. What boat was she on? Repeat Offender?

Just askin

Excellent day for the Goleta Beach Race and great food! Thanks to all.

Someone needs a new kelp stick!post-1224-062052800 1283107335_thumb.jpg

This hummer was anchored out in front of the club over the weekend. Yikespost-1224-094094900 1283208712_thumb.jpg

ABYC Labor Day Regatta was huge as usual. Lots of SBYC sailors participated with our big winner being Oliver Toole in the Full Laser Class beating 23 other sailors including his Dad who took 5th. Ron Boehm took 5th in the 1-14 Class. Locally 20 boats raced in dense fog after a one hour postponement. Bebe (J130)took first place and I was very happy with a 4th in the Harbor 20 and my crew Billy and Joe. Thanks guys! And thank god for GPS. Race Committee was excellent and went out in the fog to finish us. :)

... I was very happy with a 4th in the Harbor 20 and my crew Billy and Joe. Thanks guys! And thank god for GPS. Race Committee was excellent and went out in the fog to finish us. :)

In the Santa Barbara venue, those are Ocean-20's. (You are welcome for the correction!)

Hey thanks for that photo of us in the fog. That must have been when the fog was not so thick. :rolleyes:

Great times today sailing in the Women's Shalhoob Regatta in FJ's. Six teams and 12 great sailor gals. Thanks to all who participated and supported this. First place went to Heidi Ziskind and Lisa, Second place to Sharon Green and Sandra Denton. Both of these teams took home a $100 gift certificate to Jill Shalhoob's restaurant. All teams received Sharon Green's hot of the press 2011 calendar and eco friendly bags. Champagne, strawberries afterwards and great commoradarie. I love you all! It's been a great year of Flippin Fridays.

post-1224-043712400 1284259302_thumb.jpg