Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

J/105 North Americans - Chicago.

22 boats registered. Most from the Great Lakes area plus a few from Canada, two from Texas and Rock & Roll from Santa Barbara.

Been practicing for the past few days in incredible 70 - 80 degree weather with winds in the 8 - 10 range.

Racing begins today (Thu 9/16) and it's a very different day. Expecting 18 - 25 with potential for 30 late in the day. Waves may reach 5 - 7 feet.

3 races scheduled starting at 10:30.

Some photos to this point @ Picasa

Got a new Canon waterproof / shockproof D-10 so hope to get some shots from on board when possible.

More later.

go the rock & rollers - first race thurs looked like a keeper - but what happened with the DNF for race 2? - reports suggest it was a tad breezy

Yeah, it looks very breezy and stormy. Interesting in this picture that I only see Bernie, Tom and Don in the picture. Where is the rest of the crew?

post-1224-051039000 1284689946_thumb.jpg

post-1224-096514300 1284689975_thumb.jpg

I'm wishing them the best and hope we hear from Tom with a post.

Last weekend was a great success for raising money for Hospice and Visiting Nurses with our annual Charity Regatta. The race winner was Johnny D on Groovederchi, followed by Skian Dhu, Prevail and Taxi Dancer, Taxi beat the Melges 24 Lounge Act by only 11 seconds. Taxi would have done better, but had an unusual "situation" when a friendly supporter in a small power boat came up to their transom near the weather mark. A trailing spin sheet wrapped around the prop and ripped the sheet right off Taxi. Needless to say, they were not able to set the chute for a while. :huh:

Crazy day on the water (more pix up on my Picasa account Click).

Forecasts came true - we had over 30 before the first start and 20 - 25 for the first race. Second race (which was abandoned by RC just as we were getting to the weather mark) had us in 17 - 20 most of the way and the third race (which became the second race officially) had us in 20 - 25.

Our first race (10th place finish) was a good one except for the first takedown (two lap race) which we left too late and lost several boats as we floundered about. Picked up a couple of those that passed us and would have probably been top five with a good takedown.

The cancelled race was looking good for us and we figure we were in 4th when it was called.

The last race was really good for us. Two lapper with us in second ahead of Convexity at the first gate rounding. Unfortunately, our spin halyard box pulled out of the mast somewhere on the run and we couldn't get the chute down. Ran off deep and with three of us pulling on the kite we finally managed to get the sail in the hole. Debated continuing to race but figured we'd need the time at the dock to get the mast fixed and we were five miles out from the harbor. Came in and began working on things. Hit the dock about 3:30 and finally got things fixed up by about 7:30.

Fortunately, our breakdown was the final blow for the RC and they didn't hold the scheduled 3rd race of the day. Instead of only 8 races left for the regatta we have 9.

We may have had a chance for a top 5 result before the breakage but now it's probably not in the cards. We've been fast both up and down wind as especially down. Been fun and is supposed to go light tomorrow and then be an even heavier day on Saturday than today was.

Nice to come in on a windy, rough day and not be caked w/ salt.

More later.

Hey, what happened to the results of the J/105 NA's? No longer on the website? Whatsupp?

Dawning of the Age of Aquarius: Francie, Parker, Leveille, Pawlitski, JoAnne. The Dream Team. Can I get a Hallelujah!!

No I'm not refering to the Ventucky Cup team, but I'm hoping for a blow by blow report on that too. B)

Don't know the results either.

Was a very different day. Mid 70s and 10 - 13 all day. Racing was supposed to begin at 10:30 but delayed until about 12:30 due to lack of wind.

Took a 5th in the first race and were deep in the second. Not sure where but it was a tough one. The RC is setting 2 mile leg, 2 lap races and extending them before we reach the finish. Last downwind was 3 miles. Makes for a long race in light air. Should have completed 6 races by now but have done only 4.

A few more pix.

Thanks for the updates Tom! Found some results on-line, but very little info on everything else. Glad to hear your DNF was due to only a minor breakdown. Keep up the good work, and good luck! Represent!

105 N.A.s are over for 2010. Interesting event with a myriad of conditions and challenging racing.

Huge thanks to the Chicago Yacht Club, Columbia Yacht Club, J/105 Fleet 5 and the RC team. Excellent event, good racing, super parties and very warm and friendly people.

We had a terrific time.

I love Chicago.

We saw a wide range of water and wind conditions, hot sunny days to (Santa Barbara like) cold and overcast.

Competition from Chicago, Canada, Texas, Missouri and (of course) us from California.

We ended strong w/ two third places and pulled ourselves up from 15th after a very difficult Saturday to an overall 9th when Sunday closed the event.

Final results HERE.

My pix from the event HERE.

Sooo Johnny...what's the rest of the story? Any results, etc. All I've heard is that they moved Taxi to a different class/race area and you were 4 minutes late to the start, which is a bummer and sounds typical for Ventucky.

Throw us a bone.post-1224-060185100 1284993920_thumb.jpg

Did they abandon, throw out the whole event?

Did Laura behave??post-1224-090418400 1284993963_thumb.jpg .

Dan Chepley was good guy and tough competitor. I sailed with Dan on Colt 45 many times. One year we did the Newport to ensenada race in 12 hours! We crossed the finish line at 1200 on Friday night. That stands as the fastest N2E I have ever done.

We were out on the water for the Ventura cup regatta when we heard a bunch of shouting coming from Colt 45. They were shouting for the Doctor/owner of Uhambo. A race committee boat transfered Dr. Chase to Colt 45. He performed CPR on the way to getting Dan back to the Dock. Dan was doing what he loved to do when this happened.

Dan will be missed by crew and competitor alike.

Condolences to BJ and the rest of Dans family

Sail on Dan C.

post-17764-024374600 1284996652_thumb.jpg

it sure was great to see taxi ripping around the race course in ventura this past weekend. super nice guys, and polite on the water as they tore through the bobbing 3 knot s-boxes in the pre-start letting the other classes know "hello, we are starting". hope all the s.b. boats had a good time, even with the unfortunate ending yesterday of a fellow sailor's passing.

The first person who can name the most sailors in this shot by Friday night, I will buy a Mt. Gay for...way back in the day

post-1224-043772400 1285038787_thumb.jpg

The first person who can name the most sailors in this shot by Friday night, I will buy a Mt. Gay for...way back in the day

Wow! Look at all that hair!

Stu, John Kostecki, Matt Ciseki (sp?), ?, Jim Barton, Pat Griffin, Matt Wilson, Kirk Arndt, Harold Blades, and Eric Arndt.

Had to pull in Jeanene for Stu and Jim Bob. Had dinner with Jim at an Opti regatta the other night, but still didn't recognize him in this picture.

Obviously Turkey Day at ABYC. Guessing those are the top two J24s? 1988??? Jeanene thinks 1990.

kp

Good job KP! One Mt. Gay coming to you when I get back from Texas. I like Mattie's pink shorts.

This Saturday is the Fall One Design and the Ocean 20's are going to out number every other class ;)

Damn Skippy is correct, it was the 1988 J/24 Championship Regatta and Turkey Day Regatta at ABYC. John Kostecki won, with Eric Arndt 2nd and Eric also won the overall California Circuit.

Pictured left to right, Stu Eddings, John Kostecki, Matt Ciesicki, Pat Andreasen, Jim Barton, Pat Griffin, Matt Wilson, Kirk Arndt, Harold Blades and Eric Arndt. B)

Pictured: R.P. Richards and Pat Griffin.

Two "to the max" partiers.

Well loved RP, past owner of Taxi Dancer, is in failing health at age 89, and now living at Samarkand, if you want to visit him. He cut a mean rug on the dance floor until about 2 years ago. A real Santa Barbara icon. I remember being in Cabo with Taxi and for the "fun race" he said "Janie, I want you to get as many women on the boat as possible, hopefully in bikini's" In the race, he was driving and suddenly jumped overboard and other racing boats immediately altered course to help with the rescue. He just laughed and said "Hey I was hot and wanted to cool off" He was about 75 at the time.

post-1224-045569100 1285207818_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous weekend..sounds like Al Seltzer/Billy Bench won the Ocean 20 Class and Lounge Act the Melges 24 class for the Fall One Design.

Oliver Toole is rockin' again. Only been in Stanford 2 weeks and he wins the PCC Men's Singlehanded Championship. A product of SBYC Youth Foundation, we are so proud! post-1224-000358200 1285600582_thumb.jpg

Next weekend the always fun Sea Shell Wine Tasting/Boat Tour fundraiser on Saturday afternoon and the Wilson Race on Sunday. :P

Hey, LarDog..

Did you ever blow bubbles when you were a kid?

Well, he's back in town and he's looking for you.

post-1224-047496800 1285858774_thumb.jpg

Hey KP thanks for being guest Tactician last night. Taking Taxi out at the start always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. You and JAG were a good team.

I owe you a Mt. Gay for winning the "picture contest". Hope you and Jeanene will take some time out on all the work of the Sea Shell fundraiser and come to the club on Friday night where I will pay up!

The Wilson Race on Sunday was cold and frustrating. We were well ahead of the Farr 40 after they had a bad set at the start. We had a good crew on the red J/125 with L Harteck driving. and the Skian dhu still caught us and beat us. I don't get it, must be a phrf problem.

How many dorks are going out in the pooring rain tonite for a wet weds fun race?

The Wilson Race on Sunday was cold and frustrating. We were well ahead of the Farr 40 after they had a bad set at the start. We had a good crew on the red J/125 with L Harteck driving. and the Skian dhu still caught us and beat us. I don't get it, must be a phrf problem.

How many dorks are going out in the pooring rain tonite for a wet weds fun race?

Perhaps the Farr is faster in 4-5 knots of breeze like we had Sunday.

A good start doesn't always assure a win. We all noticed the Farr went in to the beach with the asso after the start & ended up in more wind. Maybe the 145 should have covered? Why would you split with your competition if you were ahead? (Dirk & Grange are very good sailors)

Perhaps the Farr is faster than Sequoia in those conditions. We were not faster than the J/145, The Doc, in those conditions.

Perhaps boat prep, time in the boat, not laying the gybe mark, setting/dousing a kite after the gybe mark was a part of the difference too?

I can guarantee you that Taxi would have crushed us all in those conditions if they'd come out...

It was good to see Sequoia back out. Hope the boat gets back out regularly and gives the Farr a run for the pickle dishes!

Two more Ocean (Harbor) 20's splashed in the last week. Unbelievable! This has to be the fastest growing class we've ever had in SB. They've all got spinnakers and they're out racing all the time. Cool.

post-1224-044834700 1286481317_thumb.jpg

:)

cool?

So every other place around the country is adding 'hot 20's' like the Viper, Melges, Open 5.70 etc (ie a boat that can plane) and SB gets the Harbor 20......

Yep. As far as I am concerned any expanding one design class is cool. Lots of new people on the race course. Good for the sport.

Well...It's been great to get Thumper back in the water and we've had a great time in our first two races - the Wilson and most recently the beautiful Sunday CHRF Fall #2 race.

While the weather was great and the sailing fun on the CHRF course, I was disappointed to hear about the skipper of Sea Note calling another member un-corinthian for guest skippering a boat on the course — the issue being that the boats owner was not able to sail and the boat finished well with the guest skipper and the boats current CHRF correction time... Of course this is not a rule violation or any infringement on the spirit of the CHRF Fleet, so I find it hard to figure out why the Sea Note skipper would make such an accusation...

From what I understand the skipper of Sea Note threatened a rule change to CHRF that would state that boats must be driven by the owner. If that's true, I would say the skipper of Sea Note is putting his own agenda above the true mission of CHRF which is to encourage participation and a fun afternoon of "cruiser racing".

Personally, I feel the skipper of Sea Note owes an apology to the guest skipper and the others engaged in the conversation.

— thump

Yep. As far as I am concerned any expanding one design class is cool. Lots of new people on the race course. Good for the sport.

Absolutely! Any sailor going one-design or level-racing, at the expense of a handicapped fleet, is a step in the right direction. All handicapped systems are arbitrary; all one-design fleets offer pure sport.

Well...It's been great to get Thumper back in the water and we've had a great time in our first two races - the Wilson and most recently the beautiful Sunday CHRF Fall #2 race.

While the weather was great and the sailing fun on the CHRF course, I was disappointed to hear about the skipper of Sea Note calling another member un-corinthian for guest skippering a boat on the course — the issue being that the boats owner was not able to sail and the boat finished well with the guest skipper and the boats current CHRF correction time... Of course this is not a rule violation or any infringement on the spirit of the CHRF Fleet, so I find it hard to figure out why the Sea Note skipper would make such an accusation...

From what I understand the skipper of Sea Note threatened a rule change to CHRF that would state that boats must be driven by the owner. If that's true, I would say the skipper of Sea Note is putting his own agenda above the true mission of CHRF which is to encourage participation and a fun afternoon of "cruiser racing".

Personally, I feel the skipper of Sea Note owes an apology to the guest skipper and the others engaged in the conversation.

— thump

This is all incredibly stupid. I got an email from the guy this morning, chastising me for winning a women's race a few weeks ago without the owner on board. The guy is making up ficticious rules in his head and then being a one man judge and jury. He states that he wants a new category called "regualar Crew". Persons in this category would be allowed to steer. We don't even use the MRI rule here, can you imagine enforcing the "regular Crew" rule? Let see just how many sailors we can eliminate from the pool.Eh?

— thump

This is all incredibly stupid. I got an email from the guy this morning, chastising me for winning a women's race a few weeks ago without the owner on board. The guy is making up ficticious rules in his head and then being a one man judge and jury. He states that he wants a new category called "regualar Crew". Persons in this category would be allowed to steer. We don't even use the MRI rule here, can you imagine enforcing the "regular Crew" rule? Let see just how many sailors we can eliminate from the pool.Eh?

As the "regular crew" who invited the guest skipper to sail with me and help us with adjusting our rig, I was truly disturbed to have Sea Note's skipper insult him for his participation. Our guest skipper did us a great favor by taking his time to come out and share knowledge. Amusingly, there is the underlying implication that our regular team would have bombed the race without him! Por favor! I think we've won a race or two before.

Thanks for the support, Janer and Thump--and a toast to our guest skipper who taught me a great deal during the race. Taking the time to do that is what I'd call "corinthian."

— thump

As the "regular crew" who invited the guest skipper to sail with me and help us with adjusting our rig, I was truly disturbed to have Sea Note's skipper insult him for his participation. Our guest skipper did us a great favor by taking his time to come out and share knowledge. Amusingly, there is the underlying implication that our regular team would have bombed the race without him! Por favor! I think we've won a race or two before.

Thanks for the support, Janer and Thump--and a toast to our guest skipper who taught me a great deal during the race. Taking the time to do that is what I'd call "corinthian."

Jeez! What happened here? Did they pull in DC or Paul Cayard or something?

This happens all the time, from what I can see. In fact, I've always seen it as a benefit for the crew - get some new people driving, get people sailing with other folks. Before I had a boat, it was the main way I got driving experience.

Of all the things to complain about....

Right Condor!

The whole women's team got started back in the late 70's with the help of people like you and Bob Kieding who said "Here, take my boat racing and learn"

I'm not sure if I will ever fit into the "regular crew" category. Most folks think I am "irregular". B)

— thump

Jeez! What happened here? Did they pull in DC or Paul Cayard or something?

This happens all the time, from what I can see. In fact, I've always seen it as a benefit for the crew - get some new people driving, get people sailing with other folks. Before I had a boat, it was the main way I got driving experience.

Of all the things to complain about....

Keep CHRF fun for all and casual.

You want multiple, tightly defined and policed rules, too many protests (many of which are frivolous), arguments on the dock, overblown egos and budgets beyond the reach of many, jump up a level or two and hit the racing circuit beyond Santa Barbara. Rarely a Catalina or Harbor 20 or older Ericson, Islander, Santana, Schock (other than 35s), Lancer or similar anywhere in sight. Lots of us from SB race out of town events and enjoy it but it's not for everybody.

It's great to come back here and participate in races that run the gamut from casual to serious but are generally pulled off in a spirit of fun amongst friends. Out of town sailors love to race here and it's not just because SB is such a beautiful place - it's also because our club and racers provide a friendly, welcoming place to spend time on the water.

Well, if there is going to be a cat fight I'm coming bare naked and armed!

post-1224-052395900 1286996350_thumb.jpg

Good luck to Pat Toole and Dale Turley attending the Championship of Champions in Greenwich Connecticut. Participants qualify by winning a one design National, North American or World Championship. NICE! :D

Good luck to Pat Toole and Dale Turley attending the Championship of Champions in Greenwich Connecticut. Participants qualify by winning a one design National, North American or World Championship. NICE! :D

Go the Dogs!

Day Two--After 8 races Pat and Dale are hanging on to 12th place. Chris Raab is in fist, Jud Smith 4th, Augie Diaz 5th and Alan Field 7th. LOTS of very tough competition.

Santa Cruz 50 coming to town to race CHRF! Bring your golf clubs! What's it rate?

Any truth to the rumor that this boat's coming to town?

post-15064-010093500 1287175342_thumb.jpg

Also, I received a message requesting a post be deleted which included another Anarchists comments that had some reference to a bowl, a meeting, and and a silly suggestion like requiring crew lists with "approved" skippers for CHRF. Whatever...Please keep in mind if you're stopping by Sailing Anarchy don't take anything too seriously, especially offhanded comments about bowls... This is the website where the tag line reads: "Where the Status Quo Blows" - get it?

And a suggestion regarding CHRF, don't take it too seriously either...It's suppose to be fun and an excuse to get some slow boats on the water. If a boat invites a skipper with some advanced skills to drive, trim or offer general coaching, don't be scared. They'll probably do better than usual, but in the big picture the crew will learn something and probably have a little more fun that day. That's the Corinthian Spirit! And the way the rating formula works, they'll move further down the list on the next race, right? Maybe if you're nice, a skilled skipper might visit your boat too and share a little knowledge! Might help.

So, to those few individuals who are lobbying for additional paperwork, added rule enforcement, and limiting participation and education — I'd say it's time for you take your training wheels off, get your PHRF certificate or pick up a one-design boat, and go do some real sailboat racing... and leave CHRF to be what it is, cruising around the buoys with friends, a cold beer and a pickle dish for everyone, eventually...

— thump

Another grey, rainy day for the Fall PHRF Regatta. Probably a par 4 course. I just can't decide which bag of clubs to take, the ones I call Daisy Dukes or the ones I call Ernesto.

Does my rating change if I have a caddy? ;)

post-1224-092137900 1287336529_thumb.jpg

post-1224-050482500 1287336549_thumb.jpg

post-1224-023056600 1287336578_thumb.jpg

PHRF Fall Regatta: Nice to have a big A Class again. Harteck skippered J/145 Sequoyah and tied for 2nd with Taxi Dancer, Skian Dhu took first. Blues Crews took first in B Class followed by Thumper which was driven by new co-owner Jess Parker.

Any truth to the rumor that this boat's coming to town?

post-15064-010093500 1287175342_thumb.jpg

Also, I received a message requesting a post be deleted which included another Anarchists comments that had some reference to a bowl, a meeting, and and a silly suggestion like requiring crew lists with "approved" skippers for CHRF. Whatever...Please keep in mind if you're stopping by Sailing Anarchy don't take anything too seriously, especially offhanded comments about bowls... This is the website where the tag line reads: "Where the Status Quo Blows" - get it?

And a suggestion regarding CHRF, don't take it too seriously either...It's suppose to be fun and an excuse to get some slow boats on the water. If a boat invites a skipper with some advanced skills to drive, trim or offer general coaching, don't be scared. They'll probably do better than usual, but in the big picture the crew will learn something and probably have a little more fun that day. That's the Corinthian Spirit! And the way the rating formula works, they'll move further down the list on the next race, right? Maybe if you're nice, a skilled skipper might visit your boat too and share a little knowledge! Might help.

So, to those few individuals who are lobbying for additional paperwork, added rule enforcement, and limiting participation and education — I'd say it's time for you take your training wheels off, get your PHRF certificate or pick up a one-design boat, and go do some real sailboat racing... and leave CHRF to be what it is, cruising around the buoys with friends, a cold beer and a pickle dish for everyone, eventually...

— thump

Right on Thump. There are some people who need to back pedal as fast as they can and send out some apologies. As new facts and emails pop up there are alot of questions to be answered and people to be held accountable.

Hey that was an insane lightening and thunderstorm! We lost power for a while in Carp. Doesn't look that good for the last Wet Weds of the year also. Its been a fun season although pretty grey and foggy too much of the time.:ph34r:

SBSC Goblin regatta will be in less than two weeks. A lot of one design classes are expected to attend. There will be a Portsmouth class for everyone else.

NOR

Entry Form

SBSC Goblin regatta will be in less than two weeks. A lot of one design classes are expected to attend. There will be a Portsmouth class for everyone else.

NOR

Entry Form

Rush Street is coming.

Looking forward to being out on the water with all those cute little Opti kids this weekend (Opti Goblin Regatta)

post-1224-032822200 1287772391_thumb.jpg

Then SBSC Goblin Regatta (for grownups) the following weekend. Also hoping for an Ocean 20 One Design class.

Anything happening this weekend? Norcal sailor in Santa Barbara 10/22 -24. I'd love to get out on a boat if anyone is racing, practicing, tuning, etc. Please pm me. Gracias.

Several Beaches have been closed following a fatal shark attack this morning. Surf should be good and not that crowded.

Anything happening this weekend? Norcal sailor in Santa Barbara 10/22 -24. I'd love to get out on a boat if anyone is racing, practicing, tuning, etc. Please pm me. Gracias.

Several Beaches have been closed following a fatal shark attack this morning. Surf should be good and not that crowded.

mark - any information or links to said shark attack?

mark - any information or links to said shark attack?

nevermind mark. i got off of my lazy arse and found it meself.

The attack was north of Santa Barbara at Vandenberg. It seems like there are always big sharks up that way.

Summer is winding down and so is the food supply. The bigger fish got really fat and happy during the rookery season and now they are not finding such easy prey. Fish gotta eat, man gotta surf. The end results are predictable.

Major Bummer. The kid was a student at Santa Barbara City College. They say he was bodyboarding when the shark attacked and bit off his leg.

Hope this doesn't cause any panic with the Opti kids. However, they will be racing inside and close to the harbor.

Two days of racing for the brave youngsters in the Opti Goblin Regatta. 48 boats from So Cal with coaches, fans, parents etc. Dana Jones and Duncan Shea did a great job with lots of volunteers. The first day was pretty bumpy for the outside sailors, the Green fleet opted for inside the harbor where the conditions were better for newbies. Today the weather got rough outside, 25 knots. A few bumps and bruises but everyone came home safe with lots of safety boats on hand. Results at sbyc.org. racing calendar. Quinn Wilson of SBYC 1st place with Lucas Pierce of SBYC 6th on the outside line. Frankie Doyle of Santa Barbara Youth Foundation took first in the inside course. Great Times for the kids!

I took hundreds of pics which will be available on line free at sbyc.org and the SB Youth Foundation website. Free to those involved in the regatta. For publication options please email me.

post-1224-086220200 1287969461_thumb.jpg

post-1224-063309000 1287969487_thumb.jpg

post-1224-023331800 1287969519_thumb.jpg

post-1224-024924600 1287969836_thumb.jpg

I need to add kudos to the biggest promoters of the Opti Goblin regatta and volunteers. Kent Pierce and his wife Jeanene; major players in organizing and statistics, Ken Clements RC boat, Elsbeth Kleen and Bill Lannan, Mike Shimer and the great coaches from Cal Yacht Club, and so many others that made it so successful! The kids all had a great experience this weekend. Thanks!post-1224-065052800 1287971902_thumb.jpg

I need to add kudos to the biggest promoters of the Opti Goblin regatta and volunteers. Kent Pierce and his wife Jeanene; major players in organizing and statistics, Ken Clements RC boat, Elsbeth Kleen and Bill Lannan, Mike Shimer and the great coaches from Cal Yacht Club, and so many others that made it so successful! The kids all had a great experience this weekend. Thanks![attachment=147000:lunch.jpg

Even the lunches were so well appreciated.

Mmmm. Lunch? I appear to be sailing in the wrong fleet! Ditto thanks to all the over four-foot crowd who took the time to make this a great event. Can you all cater the next H20 event? Nice pics, Janer!

NOR

Entry Form

Remember the SBSC Goblin Regatta is this weekend. So far, we have received 16 entries. In descending order of number of entries we have:

Laser radial

Portsmouth

Laser Full Rig

Harbor 20

J/24

Melges 24

I think Deke is coming from Ventucky so that will spice up the J/24 fleet. The question is "will Toole sail J/24's or Laser?"

The Harbor 20 is fleet is getting bigger and more competitive. Don't forget the costume contest!

post-1224-021153400 1288201443_thumb.jpg

Excellent. So I am thinking that two past winning skippers of the J/24 North Americans will be going mano a mano in Lasers. Look forward to seeing y'all. ;)

Well... we're all packed up on looking forward to a great week in the BVI's... of course now the big concern is what path will TS Tomas take. This one looks like it's going to be a monster!

Yeah, Thumper doing the Goblin Regatta, just the kids on board, the Richards and Parkers (soon to be related). It was a fun regatta save for the out of town PRO who was the most obnoxious person on the water.

Taxi Dancer skipper dressed and ready for the Lady at the Helm race!

post-1224-076083600 1288629765_thumb.jpg

Screwdriver at the Sailing Club bar: Vodka and orange soda? That was a gagger. Who won in the lasers?

REMINDER: Double handed and short handed this Sunday the 7th. Reverse handicap start so you must pre-register on line.

www.sbyc.org Entry form is on the Racing Page.

:rolleyes:

Pat Toole was running Friday night laser races along with me running Flippin Friday womens races on the FJ's. This has pretty much gone away temporarily due to lack of daylight. You should contact Pat for future races. There was a huge fleet of lasers in last weekends Goblin Regatta (which Pat won)post-1224-089585700 1288846010_thumb.jpg. Great conditions. There may be a laser fleet in the upcoming Holiday Regatta in December. :rolleyes:

Sweet Rob, I have cleared out my inbox and would love to hear from you. :rolleyes:

The infamous Double Handed/Short Handed race was a blast today. Nice breeze, no rain. 21 Boats competed in a long reverse handicap course. First place :rolleyes: in the double handed Larry and Becky Harteck in their J/105, followed by Pat Toole and George Witter in J/24 3 Big Dogs,third was those bad boys on Lounge Act (Melges 24)followed by 2 more J/24's; probably the choice boat of the day. The short handed race was handled nicely by Charles on Bebe, followed by Sequoyah. The trophies were the beautiful hand made plates by Gary Gordon. Special trophy given to Prevail, the largest boat to do the double handed. Congrats to Marcel and Bill, they worked their butts off for sure.

Great turnout of the Harbor 20 fleet with 6 boats. I sailed with Mr. Bench and we had fewer clusters than usual, battled the kelp continuously, but those boats don't seem to slow down much in kelp. Bonus! We were pleased to just beat the other Harbor 20's, no chance we could catch the bigger boats.

I loved it. PhD wacko Laura unable to figure out the course, even with a paid tactician.:blink:

Hey you won 1 race against her on a sunday awww aren't you just the winner of the day good for you big guy!!!

Hey Beckett if you want to actually win big races and get your name on a trophy you should ask Dr.Laura if you could be part of her crew or you could always get your own boat which for you would probably be arm floaties and an umbrella :)

For those that were at the skipper's meeting you might remember the mistake in the SIs about the gate. Two boats sailed thru the wrong gate but they were following the SIs and not a verbal correction done at the meeting. The other boat was PT2 which also had pros on board. In the real world of yacht racing the race should be tossed and resailed. I might have a hard time convincing my wife that this a good idea.

Haha...

Bump

Anyone have any good videos we can show at the Club during our "fewer races season"

Whitbread, Volvo,Transpac? Even the old ones are entertaining. George Grenough? I have one Transpac and the Hobie Tiger Worlds in SB video. Both are great. Movie night would be fun. Maybe we could fire up the popcorn machine.Let me know what is in your library. Dig.

Haha...

Bump

Anyone have any good videos we can show at the Club during our "fewer races season"

Whitbread, Volvo,Transpac? Even the old ones are entertaining. George Grenough? I have one Transpac and the Hobie Tiger Worlds in SB video. Both are great. Movie night would be fun. Maybe we could fire up the popcorn machine.Let me know what is in your library. Dig.

Did you see the front page Vendee film? Say's that it will be available for download from iTunes...

Yes Thump, I saw that also. But I do not know how to take an iTunes video and turn it into something on the big screen. Help?

thanks, janer