Janer

Santa Barbara Sailing

Anybody know if there'll be a memorial or other service at the club sometime soon??

Great guy - SBYC won't be the same.

Sail on RP.

I think, in the most respectful way, that the Yacht Club will be overwhelmed with all those that will come to pay tribute, a stadium might be better. He touched so many people with his constant positive outlook and love of life. He will be missed by many.

So true my friend! I am putting together some photos of our epic week in 1996 when we won MEXORC on Taxi Dancer with RP. One of the most fun weeks of my life with you and Becky, Jeff Otis, Doug Harlow, Scott Lenox, John Tesman, Chris Gillum, Craig Nicholson, George Sanchez,Craig (Castanza), Tom Issacson and Lisa Roote. A Santa Barbara team in Puerto Vallarta. Ahh...the stories will live forever.

ps

we had some out of towners as well, Craig Fletcher and Pieter Von Neuenhusen. Pieter almost got arrested for picking the Rolex girl off the trophy stage and running off with her. Not a prudent thing to do when the President of Mexico is on stage as well. good times. :rolleyes:

Mass will be held at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church on Tuesday, Novemeber 30th, followed by a celebration of his life to be held at Santa Barbara Yacht Club.

I gave the wrong date previously. sorry

Another sad day for SBYC. Dave McEachen died of a heart attack while driving his boat Sea Note in today's race. He was a great guy, kind and thoughtful and a great organizer of sailing, safety at sea and teaching new sailors. Our thoughts and prayers to his family.

Dave's memorial service is this Saturday at First Presbyterian Church in Santa Barbara at 1:00 pm. His wife, Judith Muller, is a pastor at the church. In the midst of trying to comprehend a life drawn short, we remember that his death took place while doing something he loved. He was a steward of sailboat racing to many who were learning the sport. His passion was sailing.

It looks like today is the window for some sailing with a good bottle of wine!

Bring the family.

post-1224-042706000 1290792967_thumb.jpg

I am putting together a photo album for the RP Richards celebration of life which will be held this Tuesday.If any one has photos they could send by email that would be great. The epic life of RP will be shown on the big screen at SBYC. His favorite sailing experience was the MEXORC race of 1996.

So who can name the players in this photo? RP is buried behind the trophy on the chaise, surrounded by women as usual,Mostly SB crew, but we had a few from Washington who did the Taxi logo for us. Not pictured: Craig Fletcher and Pieter Von Nieunhusen, one can only guess where they were when the picture was taken. Good times. RIP RP.

post-1224-078150800 1290916298_thumb.jpg

I'm saying Janer on the far right, Dr. John and then two Santa barbara guys whose names I don't know. They wouldn't let me vote on the Do Rag thread. WTF

Wow, a weak response, I had hoped for better.

Back in the '90's big boats got bigger and faster, and some of the collisions were epic. A few owners opted to have their crews sign waivers prior to a regatta or Transpac. The waivers would probably not hold up in court anyway and they pissed off a lot of crewmembers. Taxi Dancer came up with their own waiver...

post-1224-060960000 1291000746_thumb.jpg

I am putting together a photo album for the RP Richards celebration of life which will be held this Tuesday.If any one has photos they could send by email that would be great. The epic life of RP will be shown on the big screen at SBYC. His favorite sailing experience was the MEXORC race of 1996.

So who can name the players in this photo? RP is buried behind the trophy on the chaise, surrounded by women as usual,Mostly SB crew, but we had a few from Washington who did the Taxi logo for us. Not pictured: Craig Fletcher and Pieter Von Nieunhusen, one can only guess where they were when the picture was taken. Good times. RIP RP.

post-1224-078150800 1290916298_thumb.jpg

Standing left to right:

Craig from Seattle

Doug Harlow

Larry Harteck

Tom Isaacson

Jeff Otis

Becky Harteck

George Sanchez

??? (friend of Craig from Seattle??)

Scott Lenox

Craig Nicholson

John Tessman

Janer

Seated:

Jasmine

RP

???

???

Missing:

Fletch

Pieter

Craig Maggio? (I think - pretty sure we had 4 Craigs on board and I remember tripping over someone always asleep on deck while racing)

Chris Gillum

Also missing is Richard Pryor who was probably holding his place along the embarcadero.

Tom..the blond gal is Dana. She was a sailor from Long Beach.

See you this afternoon. It should be one hell of a sendoff. B)

The Celebration of the life of RP Richards was epic, of course. The Church and Yacht Club were standing room only as hundreds of sailors, friends and family came to remember RP. Slide shows were going on in every room and even RP's favorite table in the YC (God's corner overlooking the ocean)was decorated. It was great to see pretty much all the old Taxi team including Craig Fletcher and Dr. John. Tom Parker the present owner of Taxi Dancer took the boat out and motored thru the finish line and the canon was fired off the deck 5 times. In the next half hour we witnessed the most beautiful sunset ever. Unforgetable. ;)

post-1224-079366600 1291300307_thumb.jpg

photo by Kenny K

DAWG has informed that this thread is just too big and he needs to close it, so I will open a new one.

OK whatever.

See you on the new one.

post-1224-078244900 1291325672_thumb.jpg

DAWG has informed that this thread is just too big and he needs to close it, so I will open a new one.

OK whatever.

See you on the new one.

Thread goes with RP. I like it.