dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Don, whilst we're on the topic of polished items, noticed a certain polished crim sans keel - what gives ?

I honestly thought that was going to a whole other place.

Standing by.

Don, whilst we're on the topic of polished items, noticed a certain polished crim sans keel - what gives ?

Secrets

Say nothing :angry:

Except to the handicapper? .... :o

It will be off the same design as the RP52 'Vincitore' in the USA. They (the US Boat) are feeding back info on what mods have been implemented. At this stage, nothing fancy. No trim tabs, no swing keel. Will rate similar to Georgia. (TP52.) Name of boat.......well the last 7 (includes past generations) had the same name! Time for a change??? How about 'Date-rape'? I don't think this will get past the SYC committe!

Is it going to employ stored power or will it be a yacht?

"Sticky Date" perhaps ??

Hopoate? :lol:

Is it going to employ stored power or will it be a yacht?

Yacht uphill and stored power downhill would be nice.

Flirt a.k.a Audi Centre Melbourne appears to be taking a beating from the rejuvenated XLR8 at Hamo.

XLR8 also beating SMB3 over the line in the first 3 Hamo races, however the guys on SMB3 seem to be getting the hang of the new RP.

On the local front, its great being on an I-11 and so far ahead of 50 footers after 7 odd nms of racing, no wonder the race wasn't shortened as we can't have a one design 33 footer kick the Div 0 Farr 52's now can we?

Flirt a.k.a Audi Centre Melbourne appears to be taking a beating from the rejuvenated XLR8 at Hamo.

XLR8 also beating SMB3 over the line in the first 3 Hamo races, however the guys on SMB3 seem to be getting the hang of the new RP.

On the local front, its great being on an I-11 and so far ahead of 50 footers after 7 odd nms of racing, no wonder the race wasn't shortened as we can't have a one design 33 footer kick the Div 0 Farr 52's now can we?

blind squirrel and acorn...why aren't you and Rossco doing that all the time? :)

btw...just so you know...you have a light air weapon

blind squirrel and acorn...why aren't you and Rossco doing that all the time? :)

btw...just so you know...you have a light air weapon

Thanks for the compliment :)

But I think you have the wrong weapon :lol:

Thanks for the compliment :)

But I think you have the wrong weapon :lol:

you aren't with Don???

so which weapon do you have? Dons' should rule????

you aren't with Don???

Smooth Criminal is on the hard getting some go-fasts completed.

Last Saturday was, dare I say it, an Affirmative Action day.

Oh the humiliation, Farr 52's being beaten by an International 11 metre after 7nms of racing!!!! Oh the utter, utter shame of it all.

And LOVING IT!

you aren't with Don???

Don currently sailing with Rossco on the 11MOD while Smoothie (RP36) gets a keel job done.

New or modified appendage sitting in front of Smoothie late last night but too dark/ too pissed to see if any major changes.

No doubt all will be revealed in due course. :ph34r:

With 2 days to go up at Hammo, it's great to see the boys from Cougar & Living Doll flying the flag for Victoria and giving the Sydney boys a real run for their money. XLR8's results are reasonable too...........considering.

1 SM5200 COUGAR LL Alan Whiteley 12.00 3.00 1.00 4.00 2.00 2.00 [8.00]

2 52002 QUEST Bob Steel 13.00 1.00 2.00 6.00 [9.00] 3.00 1.00

3 R50 LIVING DOLL Michael Hiatt 14.00 4.00 6.00 2.00 1.00 1.00 [15.00O]

4 AUS1836 YENDYS Geoffrey Ross 19.00 2.00 4.00 [8.00] 5.00 6.00 2.00

5 8899 QUANTUM RACING Raymond Roberts 22.00 [11.00] 9.00 1.00 4.00 5.00 3.00

6 NZL10007 PUSSY GALORE Anatole Masfen 27.00 8.00 [8.00] 3.00 6.00 4.00 6.00

7 AUS7002 WILD JOE Steven David 32.50 6.00 5.00 7.00 7.50 7.00 [10.00]

8 SM460 XLR8 Graeme Troon 33.00 5.00 10.00 [10.00] 3.00 8.00 7.00

9 USA50062 SHOCKWAVE- CLUB MARI Andrew Short 36.00 7.00 3.00 [12.50] 10.00 12.00 4.00

10 AUS7001 WILD OATS X Robert Oatley 44.00 [14.00] 12.00 5.00 11.00 11.00 5.00

11 SM2008 AUDI CENTRE MELBOURN Chris Dare 47.50 10.00 7.00 11.00 7.50 [13.00] 12.00

12 YC3300 SECRET MENS III Geoffrey Boettcher 52.00 9.00 13.00 9.00 [14.00] 10.00 11.00

13 52566 BLACK JACK Peter Harburg 53.50 [13.00] 11.00 12.50 12.00 9.00 9.00

14 NZL10303 WIRED Rob Bassett 66.00 12.00 [15.00C] 14.00 13.00 14.00 13.00

The canters are really starting to struggle in the lighter breezes. It's been 6 - 12 knots for the last three races. Flirt is struggling as is SMB3. The NZL boat, Wired, really is just not competitive.

Very tight at the top of the table. Quest is battling for the Aust IRC champs and must win to win for the year. They're not playing for cattle stations, but they are playing for a $100k Audi.

Mex

OK I'll be the bunny to start this little discussion based on comments I've heard from Hamo attendees.

1. Is Flirt actually slow, or did she have a bad luck regatta?

2. I have always argued that XLR8 had more "untapped" potential

3. What happened to Shogun?

OK I'll be the bunny to start this little discussion based on comments I've heard from Hamo attendees.

1. Is Flirt actually slow, or did she have a bad luck regatta?

2. I have always argued that XLR8 had more "untapped" potential

3. What happened to Shogun?

1 Was it "bad luck" to remove all that weight from the bulb just before the regatta? Slow boat, a non competitive design or perhaps just a suspect program?

2 Agree re XLR8 although sticking "Barney" Walker on the joystick of just about any boat tends to release "untapped potential" Potential probably about to be denied again under new ownership :( unless BW retained to maintain the pace?

3 Wassup with the new RP47 SMB3 - too fresh out of the oven ie not enough time in the boat yet ...or does it have chronic Flirtitis?

4 Shogun to be replaced by C50 Living Doll so out to pasture / on the market.

5 How goes the Sm Cr refurb??

1. Having Hicko on board Flirt was, apparently, a less than constructive experience. Hicko and Plimo never agreed, never listened to Adrienne who inevitably turned out to be right, and therefore the boat spent a lot of time in the wrong spot on the race course.

2. XLR8 had a fairly heavy crew on board of Skandia Wild Thing sailors. Unlikely this crew will be retained.

3. We were parked next to SMB3 and they retuned the rig majorly everyday in an attempt to get her going. Looked like they were sailing a bit deep and slow down wind. Need to arc her up a bit before winding her down. I'm sure they'll work it out.

My 2 cents.

Mex

1. Having Hicko on board Flirt was, apparently, a less than constructive experience. Hicko and Plimo never agreed, never listened to Adrienne who inevitably turned out to be right, and therefore the boat spent a lot of time in the wrong spot on the race course.

..too many captains, not enough sailors..

:ph34r:

5 How goes the Sm Cr refurb??

Refurbish is going well.

Looking to re-rate Smooth Criminal under IRC so that we can go and play in Div 0.

Our IRC will be close to Chutzpah's (approx 1.200), but our AMS will be over 4% lower.

A 36 footer in Div 0. That should throw some serious brown stuff at the fan.

Interesting observation - who's your source? Hicko has been pretty involved with the team for a while and has helped a lot. He also brings a pretty good attitude to the boat which makes things enjoyable.

A couple of boys from the boat. I wouldn't want to cause them a roat\sting by "outing" them. I wasn't there, so it may have just been a minority point of view.

Opinions are like arseholes...

Mex

Refurbish is going well.

Looking to re-rate Smooth Criminal under IRC so that we can go and play in Div 0.

Our IRC will be close to Chutzpah's (approx 1.200), but our AMS will be over 4% lower.

A 36 footer in Div 0. That should throw some serious brown stuff at the fan.

Div Zilch - that's a pretty exclusive club. Are you sure they'll let you play in their sandpit with your little toy? Seems a shame to worry that much about ratings with a speed demon like Smoothie. D'ya reckon Rossco's gonna like looking at big boats arses all summer long?

Div Zilch - that's a pretty exclusive club. Are you sure they'll let you play in their sandpit with your little toy? Seems a shame to worry that much about ratings with a speed demon like Smoothie. D'ya reckon Rossco's gonna like looking at big boats arses all summer long?

Lower IRC rating limit for Div 0 is 1.18. Smoothie was above that in her small rig mode which was prior to last summer season.

We'll never win in IRC, but given last years Div 0 AMS entrants SC should blitz them, and in performance, well anything can happen. Be nice to have a Div 0 trophy to add to the Div 1's.

Anyway, with Bullistic gone which boat in Div 1 can match Smooth Criminal? Jazz Player? Fuzzy Logic? Not based on last seasons results.

Lower IRC rating limit for Div 0 is 1.18. Smoothie was above that in her small rig mode which was prior to last summer season.

We'll never win in IRC, but given last years Div 0 AMS entrants SC should blitz them, and in performance, well anything can happen. Be nice to have a Div 0 trophy to add to the Div 1's.

Anyway, with Bullistic gone which boat in Div 1 can match Smooth Criminal? Jazz Player? Fuzzy Logic? Not based on last seasons results.

You got a bit of confidence going on there. I hope your only trophy isn't the 'Talk It Up Cup'

You had better start praying for light weather or add some serious Kgs to either the bulb or the weather rail. 20+ Kts and you're on your ear and going sideways upwind while the big boys are outta there so fast you'll wonder where they went.

You got a bit of confidence going on there. I hope your only trophy isn't the 'Talk It Up Cup'

Like I said, tell me which boat in Div 1 is a match for SC.

You had better start praying for light weather or add some serious Kgs to either the bulb or the weather rail. 20+ Kts and you're on your ear and going sideways upwind while the big boys are outta there so fast you'll wonder where they went.

Might be fun playing with our big sister XLR8 while their learning how to sail her!!!!!!!!!

Might be fun playing with our big sister XLR8 while their learning how to sail her!!!!!!!!!

Div "0" stands for lots of "0's" on the end of the $ they spend on their boats, and big egO's!

Sorry, but you aint in that league!

You really think they are going to let you play with them (whatever the Div cut-off might be)??

Div "0" stands for lots of "0's" on the end of the $ they spend on their boats, and big egO's!

Sorry, but you aint in that league!

You really think they are going to let you play with them (whatever the Div cut-off might be)??

As I understand it, the criteria is an IRC greater than 1.18 and a yacht build date after year 2000.

SC meets both of those easy IRC approx 1.2 and built 2002. So unless they bring in a minumum length criteria, "they" have no choice, and if "they" do alter the criteria to exclude Smooth Criminal, what does that say about the current Div 0 boats??

Scared of a little, itty, bitty, 11 metre Reichel Pugh?

Just because some owners spend lots of $'s doesn't mean we can't go and play. Sure I don't have the $$$$$$, but I do have a slick boat that can really punch way above her weight in certain conditions, which we have proved on numerous occassions.

So the choices are;

• sail in Div 1 at the front of the fleet with no boat to match race with, with no chance of competing on IRC (definitely) or AMS (most likely) given the boats we would be sailing against e.g. A35, Adams 10, Sydney 36, Hick 32, etc. ect

• sail in Div 0 at the back of the fleet with quicker boats, but some which we have the potential to match like Chutzpah, Rush, Terra Firma. With no chance of competing on IRC (definitely), and a very good chance of being very competitive in AMS and possibly performance.

So which to choose?

Vale - Kim Theodore

For those that haven't heard, Sandringham Y.C. lost long term member Kim Theodore yesterday in an unfortunate accident.

Most people will know Kim as the mother of Caroline (Caz), her sister CC and long term partner of Terry Hall (previously Livewire Sydney 38 & current Absolute A36).

Kim and her family have been involved at SYC for many years and the girls have been part of the club since cadets.

Kim's smiling face, contagious buoyant and positive attitude will be greatly missed by all who knew her, or had the privilege of meeting her.

I send my deepest sympathy to her family, particularly Caroline, CC & Terry.

Kim,..... you will be deeply missed. xx

As I understand it, the criteria is an IRC greater than 1.18 and a yacht build date after year 2000.

SC meets both of those easy IRC approx 1.2 and built 2002. So unless they bring in a minumum length criteria, "they" have no choice, and if "they" do alter the criteria to exclude Smooth Criminal, what does that say about the current Div 0 boats??

Just because some owners spend lots of $'s doesn't mean we can't go and play. Sure I don't have the $$$$$$, but I do have a slick boat that can really punch way above her weight in certain conditions, which we have proved on numerous occassions.

So the choices are;

• sail in Div 1 at the front of the fleet with no boat to match race with, with no chance of competing on IRC (definitely) or AMS (most likely) given the boats we would be sailing against e.g. A35, Adams 10, Sydney 36, Hick 32, etc. ect

• sail in Div 0 at the back of the fleet with quicker boats, but some which we have the potential to match like Chutzpah, Rush, Terra Firma. With no chance of competing on IRC (definitely), and a very good chance of being very competitive in AMS and possibly performance.

So which to choose?

post-13013-1221033925_thumb.png

Vale - Kim Theodore

For those that haven't heard, Sandringham Y.C. lost long term member Kim Theodore yesterday in an unfortunate accident.

Most people will know Kim as the mother of Caroline (Caz), her sister CC and long term partner of Terry Hall (previously Livewire Sydney 38 & current Absolute A36).

Kim and her family have been involved at SYC for many years and the girls have been part of the club since cadets.

Kim's smiling face, contagious buoyant and positive attitude will be greatly missed by all who knew her, or had the privilege of meeting her.

I send my deepest sympathy to her family, particularly Caroline, CC & Terry.

Kim,..... you will be deeply missed. xx

This is dreadful news.

My deepest sympathy to Terry and her family.

So the choices are;

So which to choose?

no boats to match race with hey Don. well the front end of Div 1 has never been so close since the splitting of Div0/ Div1.

Clear air to sail in and plenty of fast 35 - 40 footers, sorry they're not up to your lofty standards Don - but then again haven't seen you dominating the results any time lately. Strangely silent hey Rossco!

no boats to match race with hey Don. well the front end of Div 1 has never been so close since the splitting of Div0/ Div1.

For the third time, name a boat in Div 1 from last season, apart from Bullistic which is going to Sth Aus, which can match race SC.

Clear air to sail in and plenty of fast 35 - 40 footers, sorry they're not up to your lofty standards Don - but then again haven't seen you dominating the results any time lately. Strangely silent hey Rossco!

And which are the fast 35 to 40 footers? the Sydney 38's or 36's?, the BW Z39?, the A35? Please enlighten me.

I've already stated earlier that SC is NOT competitive in any of the measurement handicap systems. Let's face it SC's AMS is 1.026 competing with Absolut (35 footer) with an AMS of 0.909, Horizon Sprint (35 footer) AMS 0.925, Windspeed (36 footer) AMS 0.955 etc. etc.

Yet SC still finished 5th overall in the Range Series AMS

If Chutzpah, Rush and Terra Firma are in Div 1 THIS season that's great as there's no need to try and gain entry into Div 0 as it will give us something to chase.

over the line , probably none going on ht 7 last year range series

D1 IRC results Start : 15:14:00 Class Place Sail No Boat Name Skipper From Fin Tim Elapsd AHC HC Cor'd T BCH Score

D1 1 SM2 CHALLENGE Lou Abrahams SYC 17:08:35 01:54:35 1.110 02:07:11 1.175 1.0

D1 2 R1121 EXECUTIVE DECISION Grant Botica RYCV 17:21:03 02:07:03 1.006 02:07:49 1.060 2.0

D1 3 SM6083 SCARLET RUNNER Rob Date SYC 17:10:56 01:56:56 1.110 02:09:48 1.152 3.0

D1 4 B2 JUST A MINOR HICKUP Peter Coleman RBYC 17:08:16 01:54:16 1.139 02:10:09 1.179 4.5

D1 4 R69 FUZZY LOGIC Bill Lennon & Paul R RYCV 17:09:35 01:55:35 1.126 02:10:09 1.165 4.5

D1 6 S390 JAZZ PLAYER Andrew Lawrence RMYS 17:06:49 01:52:49 1.158 02:10:38 1.194 6.0

D1 7 R336 SWORDFISH TROMBONE Tim Olding RYCV 17:13:14 01:59:14 1.098 02:10:55 1.129 7.0

D1 8 SM880 ALIEN Mike & Mark Welsh SYC 17:21:31 02:07:31 1.032 02:11:36 1.056 8.0

D1 9 SM35 ABSOLUT Terry Hall SYC 17:21:37 02:07:37 1.037 02:12:20 1.055 9.0

D1 10 SM3639 WIND SPEED Les Browne SYC 17:19:55 02:05:55 1.052 02:12:28 1.069 10.0

D1 11 B26 REVERIE Alan Woodward RBYC 17:18:05 02:04:05 1.076 02:13:31 1.085 11.0

D1 12 H8118 MERLION Eddie Mackevicius HBYC 17:19:31 02:05:31 1.068 02:14:03 1.073 12.0

D1 13 R111 GODZILLA Andrew Munro RYCV 17:23:22 02:09:22 1.041 02:14:40 1.041 13.0

D1 14 SM602 VELOCE Phil Simpfendorfer SYC 17:19:54 02:05:54 1.074 02:15:13 1.070 14.0

D1 15 R9006 BULLET David Cartan RYCV 17:22:54 02:08:54 1.052 02:15:36 1.045 15.0

D1 16 SM178 ALIBI Dennis Hambleton SYC 17:23:48 02:09:48 1.048 02:16:02 1.037 16.0

D1 17 SM424 BARNSTORMER Brian Barnes SYC 17:19:09 02:05:09 1.089 02:16:17 1.076 17.0

D1 18 SM5985 INSX Robert Sill SYC 17:24:30 02:10:30 1.050 02:17:02 1.032 18.0

D1 19 SM600 FUN AND GAMES Alan Edwards SYC 17:29:03 02:15:03 1.016 02:17:13 0.997 19.0

D1 20 H6336 THE BOOKMAKER Andrew Slagmolen HBYC 17:25:57 02:11:57 1.049 02:18:25 1.021 20.0

D1 21 B63 SCHUSS Denis McConnell RBYC 17:23:10 02:09:10 1.074 02:18:44 1.043 21.0

D1 22 SM45 OUTRAGEOUS Ray Shaw SYC 17:20:37 02:06:37 1.118 02:21:33 1.064 22.0

D1 23 S16 ADDICTION Peter Davison RMYS 17:22:07 02:08:07 1.115 02:22:51 1.051 23.0

D1 24 S8640 MATADOR Murray McCutcheon RMYS 17:26:49 02:12:49 1.090 02:24:46 1.014 24.0

D1 25 B3 NO FEARR tba tba RBYC 17:26:19 02:12:19 1.095 02:24:53 1.018 25.0

D1 26 SM3800 38 DEGREES SOUTH John Chatham SYC 17:25:05 02:11:05 1.110 02:25:30 1.027 26.0

D1 27 KA11 KOOKABURRA Michael Smith RYCV 17:16:02 02:02:02 1.219 02:28:46 1.104 27.0

D1 28 S54 MATRIX Keith O'Donnell RMYS 17:25:08 02:11:08 1.142 02:29:45 1.027 28.0

D1 DNF R22 BOMBORA Greg Tobin RYCV 1.132 31.0

over the line , probably none going on ht 7 last year range series

D1 IRC results Start : 15:14:00 Class Place Sail No Boat Name Skipper From Fin Tim Elapsd AHC HC Cor'd T BCH Score

D1 1 SM2 CHALLENGE Lou Abrahams SYC 17:08:35 01:54:35 1.110 02:07:11 1.175 1.0

D1 2 R1121 EXECUTIVE DECISION Grant Botica RYCV 17:21:03 02:07:03 1.006 02:07:49 1.060 2.0

D1 3 SM6083 SCARLET RUNNER Rob Date SYC 17:10:56 01:56:56 1.110 02:09:48 1.152 3.0

D1 4 B2 JUST A MINOR HICKUP Peter Coleman RBYC 17:08:16 01:54:16 1.139 02:10:09 1.179 4.5

D1 4 R69 FUZZY LOGIC Bill Lennon & Paul R RYCV 17:09:35 01:55:35 1.126 02:10:09 1.165 4.5

D1 6 S390 JAZZ PLAYER Andrew Lawrence RMYS 17:06:49 01:52:49 1.158 02:10:38 1.194 6.0

D1 7 R336 SWORDFISH TROMBONE Tim Olding RYCV 17:13:14 01:59:14 1.098 02:10:55 1.129 7.0

D1 8 SM880 ALIEN Mike & Mark Welsh SYC 17:21:31 02:07:31 1.032 02:11:36 1.056 8.0

D1 9 SM35 ABSOLUT Terry Hall SYC 17:21:37 02:07:37 1.037 02:12:20 1.055 9.0

D1 10 SM3639 WIND SPEED Les Browne SYC 17:19:55 02:05:55 1.052 02:12:28 1.069 10.0

D1 11 B26 REVERIE Alan Woodward RBYC 17:18:05 02:04:05 1.076 02:13:31 1.085 11.0

D1 12 H8118 MERLION Eddie Mackevicius HBYC 17:19:31 02:05:31 1.068 02:14:03 1.073 12.0

D1 13 R111 GODZILLA Andrew Munro RYCV 17:23:22 02:09:22 1.041 02:14:40 1.041 13.0

D1 14 SM602 VELOCE Phil Simpfendorfer SYC 17:19:54 02:05:54 1.074 02:15:13 1.070 14.0

D1 15 R9006 BULLET David Cartan RYCV 17:22:54 02:08:54 1.052 02:15:36 1.045 15.0

D1 16 SM178 ALIBI Dennis Hambleton SYC 17:23:48 02:09:48 1.048 02:16:02 1.037 16.0

D1 17 SM424 BARNSTORMER Brian Barnes SYC 17:19:09 02:05:09 1.089 02:16:17 1.076 17.0

D1 18 SM5985 INSX Robert Sill SYC 17:24:30 02:10:30 1.050 02:17:02 1.032 18.0

D1 19 SM600 FUN AND GAMES Alan Edwards SYC 17:29:03 02:15:03 1.016 02:17:13 0.997 19.0

D1 20 H6336 THE BOOKMAKER Andrew Slagmolen HBYC 17:25:57 02:11:57 1.049 02:18:25 1.021 20.0

D1 21 B63 SCHUSS Denis McConnell RBYC 17:23:10 02:09:10 1.074 02:18:44 1.043 21.0

D1 22 SM45 OUTRAGEOUS Ray Shaw SYC 17:20:37 02:06:37 1.118 02:21:33 1.064 22.0

D1 23 S16 ADDICTION Peter Davison RMYS 17:22:07 02:08:07 1.115 02:22:51 1.051 23.0

D1 24 S8640 MATADOR Murray McCutcheon RMYS 17:26:49 02:12:49 1.090 02:24:46 1.014 24.0

D1 25 B3 NO FEARR tba tba RBYC 17:26:19 02:12:19 1.095 02:24:53 1.018 25.0

D1 26 SM3800 38 DEGREES SOUTH John Chatham SYC 17:25:05 02:11:05 1.110 02:25:30 1.027 26.0

D1 27 KA11 KOOKABURRA Michael Smith RYCV 17:16:02 02:02:02 1.219 02:28:46 1.104 27.0

D1 28 S54 MATRIX Keith O'Donnell RMYS 17:25:08 02:11:08 1.142 02:29:45 1.027 28.0

D1 DNF R22 BOMBORA Greg Tobin RYCV 1.132 31.0

now let's not cherry pick those results

Range series 2007-2008 div 1 over the line "Smooth criminal"

Heat 1..4th

Heat 2..2nd

Heat 3..4th

Heat 4..3rd

Heat 5..ABN

Heat 6..DNS...MUST OF BEEN OVER 20KNOTS :(

Heat 7..1st

looks like you were chasing some sterns at some stage Don

now let's not cherry pick those results

Range series 2007-2008 div 1 over the line "Smooth criminal"

Heat 1..4th

Heat 2..2nd

Heat 3..4th

Heat 4..3rd

Heat 5..ABN

Heat 6..DNS...MUST OF BEEN OVER 20KNOTS :(

Heat 7..1st

looks like you were chasing some sterns at some stage Don

Quite right. I'm sure you're not interested in the specific reasons why that occurred in the earlier races e.g. small "IRC" rig (small main, small spinacker) as opposed to designed rig in latter part of season

Heat 6. Yes it was breezy, and we were short on crew. SC is not a boat to race in close quarters, in breeze, without key permanent crew.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which Div 1 boat from last season can match race SC other than Bullistic

Sorry, a bit preoccupied at present.

Now say again which boat is it you own and steer?

Quite right. I'm sure you're not interested in the specific reasons why that occurred in the earlier races e.g. small "IRC" rig (small main, small spinacker) as opposed to designed rig in latter part of season

Heat 6. Yes it was breezy, and we were short on crew. SC is not a boat to race in close quarters, in breeze, without key permanent crew.

and that makes you different to anyone else...how

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which Div 1 boat from last season can match race SC other than Bullistic

Sorry, a bit preoccupied at present.

Now say again which boat is it you own and steer?

remember Rossco it takes more than an owner and helmsman to get the boat around the course,but perhaps that's where your going wrong.

and that makes you different to anyone else...how

Not stupid enough to put people or boats at risk.

remember Rossco it takes more than an owner and helmsman to get the boat around the course,but perhaps that's where your going wrong.

I'll take that as a no :P

No word as yet.

Owner was seen down at Geelong on the w/end... Possibly trying to salvage the sale of the previous Doll???

hey don, does the windage from the size of your head go into your IRC or AMS handicap?

surely that must add about 50 square metre to downwind sail area?

-------

back to serious stuff, has the new Limit popped out of the shed yet?

hey don, does the windage from the size of your head go into your IRC or AMS handicap?

surely that must add about 50 square metre to downwind sail area?

-------

Fat head main only accounts for 50% of extra windage maybe a longer prodder needed as well...

Fat head main only accounts for 50% of extra windage maybe a longer prodder needed as well...

So gb1, how is that new Opti progressing?

Saved enough from your paper round yet?? :P:lol:

is the new living doll down in melbourne yet?

Not yet launched from Cooksons AFAIK and the rumour is that she will/may do the Coastal Classic in NZ before the trans Tasman delivery. Good shakedown sail, the CC race!!

Saw Hicko this morning and he said the boat is progressing well. Decks are on and all the bits are on the way - sounded like everything is cool.

The Docklands Invitational fleet has been released:

Andrew Short Marine NSW

Audi Centre Melbourne VIC

Black Jack QLD

Chutzpah VIC

Cougar II VIC

Dekadence VIC

Extsasea VIC

Georgia VIC

Goldfinger VIC

Limit II WA

Living Doll II VIC

Loki III NSW

Optimus Prime WA

Quest NSW

Secret Mens III SA

Shogun VIC

Shortwave NSW

Voodoo Chile TAS

XLR8 VIC

One vacant spot, Who's getting that?

Quite a good fleet, few missing tho

t

New Loki too, excellent. Any word on what she is (design, size, etc)?

I know, not a Melbourne big boat. I don't care. Just looking for news...

Mex

Andrew Short Marine NSW

Black Jack QLD

Chutzpah VIC

Cougar II VIC

Dekadence VIC

Extsasea VIC

Georgia VIC

Goldfinger VIC

Limit II WA

Living Doll II VIC

Loki III NSW

Optimus Prime WA

Quest NSW

Secret Mens III SA

Shogun VIC

Shortwave NSW

Voodoo Chile TAS

XLR8 VIC

t

Whos getting that? Maybe Don and his RP36 as he seems to think he can mix it with the big dudes :rolleyes:

Whos getting that? Maybe Don and his RP36 as he seems to think he can mix it with the big dudes :rolleyes:

Haha or Rossco on AA and pray for 0-3 kts breeze everyday

Smooth Criminal has not had an IRC certficate for the last 3 seasons, so I'm not sure how she would qualify for a Docklands Invitational invite?

Still very good of you to consider her!!!!

There's more than a couple of boats in the DI fleet list we've played with in the past and been closely matched for boat speed.

Oh! and SC will be faster this year!

R/P 65 non canter, should be making and appearance soon

It will be interesting to see her up against Black Jack.

New Loki too, excellent. Any word on what she is (design, size, etc)?

I know, not a Melbourne big boat. I don't care. Just looking for news...

Mex

I have heard that she will not be doing Hobart as she is getting new stern sections fitted mid build. Somthing about the new Alfa being bit of a dog upwind.

From the Front Page - Is the Farr 55 design the new Michael Hiatt ride?

Correct to be splashed 8th of October , Cookson's NZ if on schedule, Then maybe coastal classic race & back to royals or back to royals & Stanley Race?

Not that is related to Melbourne, but I see Matt Allan has Ichi Ban for sale in Aug Seahorse (just came out in WA). Anyone know if he has bigger plans?

Again, not a Melbourne based boat, but she has spent more time here than in SA.

Secret Mens Business 111 is in the pit at SYC, and there is a rumor the mast is heading back to Applied Composites next week!

Anyone know any details?

Interesting couple of boats in the SYC yard at the moment. The newish SMB3 is sitting in the pit, could it be awaiting surgery to improve her so far disappointing performance (?) Immediately astern of her is the old RP47 SMB2 that got crunched in the first race of Hammo '97. It has been rebuilt and sports a new name and livery (sorry no camera, besides it was pissing down rain) Now to be known as "Shamrock" (Glamrock?) her transom sports a lipstick imprint and "pog mahoin" kiss my arse slogan.

Must be hard for Geoff B to see his old boat there and realise, if the Hammo '98 performance of XLR8 is anything to go by, its quite likely going to perform better to its IRC rating than his new boat.

Wonder what's up with RP these days - not so hot?

Opening day tomorrow and the weather has turned cold and wet - typical!!

Anyway, whats thje goss on that "new" boat down at SYC?

Named "Shamrock", looks like a cookson 50 ?? No chines (not grey thank god), single wheel, didnt notice grinders (but wasnt really paying attention)

Not sure if its straight out of the box or a fairly new second hand piece (dirt on decks etc may just be from the builders shed and doesnt look too worn out)

sitting down at Sandy waiting for keel to be fitted - didnt notice a big rig lying around anywhere.

Anyone know the story ??

Named "Shamrock", looks like a cookson 50 ?? No chines (not grey thank god), single wheel, didnt notice grinders (but wasnt really paying attention)

Not sure if its straight out of the box or a fairly new second hand piece (dirt on decks etc may just be from the builders shed and doesnt look too worn out)

sitting down at Sandy waiting for keel to be fitted - didnt notice a big rig lying around anywhere.

Anyone know the story ??

See above post. Its 47' not 50' which goes part way to explaining your delusions of adequacy regarding the contents of your shorts :P

The South Aust alloy rego plate on the stbd side of the transom is the giveaway as to its original identity.

See above post. Its 47' not 50' which goes part way to explaining your delusions of adequacy regarding the contents of your shorts :P

The South Aust alloy rego plate on the stbd side of the transom is the giveaway as to its original identity.

Thanks FB for the info (and abuse), sorry I didnt read your post above, but then hardly anyone ever does! :P

who is the owner of said Shamrock ?? Staying local ??

Are you at SYC tomorrow?

Anyone know the story ??

Shamrock ex SMB 2 Owned by Tony Donnellan from MYC (ex Inglis 39 Top Cat) and crewed by punters from Waco.

Anyone know the story ??

Shamrock ex SMB 2 Owned by Tony Donnellan from MYC (ex Inglis 39 Top Cat) and crewed by punters from Waco.

Interestingly, the fin has a trim tab, which was the original configuration that XLR8 had before the original owners started chasing the IRC rating reductions.

Also it is Shamrocks mast being delivered tomorrow from Applied Composite Tech, not SMB3's mast going to ACT.

Andrew Short Marine NSW

Black Jack QLD

Chutzpah VIC

Cougar II VIC

Dekadence VIC

Extsasea VIC

Georgia VIC

Goldfinger VIC

Limit II WA

Living Doll II VIC

Loki III NSW

Optimus Prime WA

Quest NSW

Secret Mens III SA

Shogun VIC

Shortwave NSW

Voodoo Chile TAS

XLR8 VIC

t

I'm surprised Lou's not in there. Can't have it without him can they? Still I suppose a Sydney 38 is a bit small for that company.

Thanks FB for the info (and abuse), sorry I didnt read your post above, but then hardly anyone ever does! :P

Are you at SYC tomorrow?

Joff = Muppet

Don't suppose you had a drink at opening day by any chance did you ?

post-2116-1223286476_thumb.jpg

Very similar don't you think?

OK. I can't help myself.

Foreground (in the pit): Reichel Pugh design 121 "Shockwave 36"

Behind: Reichel Pugh design 123 "Seaquest 36"

The bulb on the Seaquest (approx 2500kg) weighs more than the total weight of the Shockwave including rig and Cat 6 safety gear (2477kg).

Are you at SYC tomorrow?

I was. Noticed you had a different ride for the sail past. Slumming it?

when does the serious stuff start in melbourne this year?

RANGE RACE THIS SAT

Range Series One McCutcheon Cup

When,Sat, Oct 11, 2:00pm – 5:30pm

DescriptionRace: J3-H-D

Div O Entries so far for Saturday;

8880 GOLDFINGER Kate Mitchell 1.292

R33 CHUTZPAH Taylor 1.204

R50 SHOGUN Hanna 1.311

SM1000 GEORGIA G Ainley 1.317

SM2008 AUDI CENTRE MELBOUR Dare 1.314

SM46 DEKADENCE Coombs 1.204

SM5200 COUGAR II Whiteley 1.348

Add to that Living Doll 11, XLR8, & Shamrock (ex SMB2), when they come out to play too, there should be some pretty close exciting racing this season.

Back in town for the summer season. See Slamrock (SMB2) is rigged and ready to go will see if they race on saturday as well as XLR8. When they stepped rig

on Slamrock she left the slip and promptly hit the bottom and stuck for 15 mins needed 2 boats to be towed off. The first race for the 38's with their mast head spinnakers be interesting to see if they have improved.

See you all on the water.

Chutzpah and Dekadence have the same IRC rating, interesting....

Other than that, the DK46 really does stand out as the odd one of the division.

Mex

Where is Smooth Criminal? I check in on this thread and I thought that it was going to be the "Check-Your-Trousers-Blink-and-You'll-Miss-Me-Div-0-Slayer" this season.