• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

5,397 posts in this topic

alot of hard work. I'm looking forewark to getting on with the next project.

How did you find the rogers...slides doesn't it

like a cut snake! another fast 46 footer would be good to play funny buggers with ;)

like a cut snake! another fast 46 footer would be good to play funny buggers with ;)

QT,

How is the Rogers expected to go against the existing boats (e.g. XLR8 which is now a swept back RP46 version, and the upgraded "Dolly") and the new "Cougar TP52" ? The mail from UK is that they struggle to sail to their rating, but there could be differences between what's over there and Shogun.

I hope she goes well. Do you have any pictures of the boat?

Also, does anyone have an update on the porgress of the new Flirt and Chutzpah? The Corby website shows a deck mould from a while back and the Hart website has nothing. I assume the RP is be a downhill favoured design, but what about the Corby?

dbo

QT,

How is the Rogers expected to go against the existing boats (e.g. XLR8 which is now a swept back RP46 version, and the upgraded "Dolly") and the new "Cougar TP52" ? The mail from UK is that they struggle to sail to their rating, but there could be differences between what's over there and Shogun.

Also, does anyone have an update on the porgress of the new Flirt and Chutzpah? The Corby website shows a deck mould from a while back and the Hart website has nothing. I assume the RP is be a downhill favoured design, but what about the Corby?

dbo

it is different to the uk boats with a prodder setup and different backstay. have to wait and see how we go against those other guys.

Do any of you guys know of a boat called Stilletto?

40 foot wooden yacht with flush deck?

My father built it in the late 70's and she was origionally called Syrenka and raced on the west coast.

Some time ago she was racing in Williamstown (sp) and the last we heard, she had wiped out and broken the runner heading to hobart. The owner was going to put a canting keel

Was a down hill flyer but not so fast up hill as she was quite light. One of the first ever fin keel yachts in Australia

Cheers

What has been done to the Dolly's rig & by whom? Suppose (hope) its bigger as it was a pretty stiff boat before

Was XLR8 done by Southern or did GT go for Applied?

My father built it in the late 70's and she was origionally called Syrenka and raced on the west coast.

Some time ago she was racing in Williamstown (sp) and the last we heard, she had wiped out and broken the runner heading to hobart. The owner was going to put a canting keel

Was a down hill flyer but not so fast up hill as she was quite light. One of the first ever fin keel yachts in Australia

Cheers

Canting keel added to a 70's woodie... 30-odd yrs later?! Ok - you got my attention.

Surely you jest?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves mate. You have to beat the 30 - 40 footers first. :unsure:

QT,

dbo

Took 'em a bloody long time to wind the DK46 up to speed., Hopefully they have learned some of the shortcuts and will hit their straps sooner with the new ride. Will need depth of talent beyond that of the sailmakers.

Cheers

Rex Palmer had her at Hobsons Bay YC for a few years. Known as the splinter. Fastish downhill but diabolical to ww.I think at some stage they cut a bit off the keel so they could get into their marina berth at HBYC which did little for the performance. Big call taking that to Hobart.

Canting keel added to a 70's woodie... 30-odd yrs later?! Ok - you got my attention.

Surely you jest?

Apparently not. She was a very strong boat in her day. I'm just trying to find out info about her now days.

The current owner contact us a couple of years ago trying to get the design drawings to see if he could put a canter in it

Rex Palmer had her at Hobsons Bay YC for a few years. Known as the splinter. Fastish downhill but diabolical to ww.I think at some stage they cut a bit off the keel so they could get into their marina berth at HBYC which did little for the performance. Big call taking that to Hobart.

It did the 1400 mile trip to Bali in the 80's. Started 5 hours late due to a faulty HF radio and was leading 200 miles into it.

Was XLR8 done by Southern or did GT go for Applied?

Southern Spars.

Have also altered the headsail sheeting to athwartships system.

The new Cougar is supposedly one of the Spainish TP 52's anyone know which one?

Hopefully not the one that got T-Boned big time (? ex Bribon 06)

Stiletto was a true POS. 50ish foot long with a short masthead rig in the middle of the boat. Keel had a squarish lump of iron on the bottom with the flow characteristics of a shopping trolley. Unless it was blowing a gale up her arse she couldn't get out of the way of an Optimist! Good riddance. :ph34r:

Stiletto was a true POS. 50ish foot long with a short masthead rig in the middle of the boat. Keel had a squarish lump of iron on the bottom with the flow characteristics of a shopping trolley. Unless it was blowing a gale up her arse she couldn't get out of the way of an Optimist! Good riddance. :ph34r:

Ouch Judge, a bit harsh.

Water flows through shopping trolleys so they would have must less drag than the impervious hunk of scrap metal on the bottom of Stillborn's keel. :P

Would have made a great cruising boat... for anyone under about 3ft tall.

Probably right about the Opti though...

I think they got Rush

The lump on the keel was an addition after she was sold. Quite a few peple have told me about the boat sitting on 20+ knots down the river so the boat could fly in the right conditions. It was sold and out of the state before my time

She was a 40 footer with a plum bow open stern and fin keel so some parts were well ahead of her time.

Ouch Judge, a bit harsh.

Water flows through shopping trolleys so they would have must less drag than the impervious hunk of scrap metal on the bottom of Stillborn's keel. :P

Would have made a great cruising boat... for anyone under about 3ft tall.

Probably right about the Opti though...

When it was first built the rig fell straight off it due to a design fault but it did some very hard long offshore races - and won them.

The lump on the keel was an addition after she was sold. Quite a few peple have told me about the boat sitting on 20+ knots down the river so the boat could fly in the right conditions. It was sold and out of the state before my time

She was a 40 footer with a plum bow open stern and fin keel so some parts were well ahead of her time.

When it was first built the rig fell straight off it due to a design fault but it did some very hard long offshore races - and won them.

ok i gotta see a photo of this thing

Ooh thats a big ask. I'll see what i can get my hands.

Sorry for the side track melboure folk

They got "Rush". Apparently it arrives next week into Melbourne.

Hopefully not the one that got T-Boned big time (? ex Bribon 06)

Bribon went to vancouver (was a thread on that around here some time back)

Doubt theres too many photos of it - it was plain bog ugly! IIRC, when it first came to Melb it was sailed by Julian Boyd and a bunch of like minded desperates back before Julian decamped back to Auckland. It really didn't like the Bay chop (what does??)

here are a couple of pics from the late 70's

I hope the quality is ok. HP scan edited in MS Paint

post-12901-1182424973_thumb.jpg

post-12901-1182425037_thumb.jpg

Southern Spars.

Have also altered the headsail sheeting to athwartships system.

I thought the rig came from NZ Rigging?

:P;) coming soon I hope !

QT,

dbo

DBO,

I spoke to the owner of Flirt and the build progress is coming alog well.. The boat should by all acounts be a beast.

Stats

• -similar uphill sail area as TP 52
  • - More running SA
  • - Similar weight comparison
  • - slightly shorter

I could give you more info on the boat but a donation to the "Save Giddy Up" fund would be required ! :P

new flirt sounds like a weapon! cant wait for that one.

Does it come complete with Hicko?

Does it come complete with Hicko?

I think Hickman is contracted with Limit till after hobart at least

Getting back to Topic.----

Raw Nerve is now in Sydney. She only left for a short while to go up and clean everybodies clocks in the B-G race. Now she is back in Sydney with no indications that she is going back to Melbourne.

Anyone know what gives????

Cheers. Oldsailor :)

Getting back to Topic.----

Raw Nerve is now in Sydney. She only left for a short while to go up and clean everybodies clocks in the B-G race. Now she is back in Sydney with no indications that she is going back to Melbourne.

Anyone know what gives????

Cheers. Oldsailor :)

then don't take it off topic! :blink: rafts... pfer!!

DBO,

I spoke to the owner of Flirt and the build progress is coming alog well.. The boat should by all acounts be a beast.

Stats

• - More running SA
  • - slightly shorter

I could give you more info on the boat but a donation to the "Save Giddy Up" fund would be required ! :P

Thanks for the summary Giddy. Sounds bloody quick and I'm sure it will rate OK too based on how CD puts his campaigns togather.

As for the status of Hicko as part of any package, he and CD seem to make a pretty good team with some great results last summer. You would have to think they'd be back together when the new boat is launched.

Thanks for the summary Giddy. Sounds bloody quick and I'm sure it will rate OK too based on how CD puts his campaigns togather.

As for the status of Hicko as part of any package, he and CD seem to make a pretty good team with some great results last summer. You would have to think they'd be back together when the new boat is launched.

Hicko does have commitments with Limit (the old Chapelle).

I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the new Flirt though.

then don't take it off topic! :blink: rafts... pfer!!

What are you on about Giddups.

The topic is "Melbourne Big Boat Fleet, whats happening."

Raw Nerve is a big Melbourne boat.

I just wondered what it is doing here in Sydney.

Whats wrong with that.

Oldsailor. :(

hmmmm what about skandia? havent heard about that for a while

Took this shot of Skamdia parked in the boat yard at Mornington a few weeks ago. Mode change # ? Deck seems a bit flatter than previously?? Dunno really, just guessing...

post-13013-1182751649_thumb.jpg

hmmmm what about skandia? havent heard about that for a while

I think Scandia has hidden herself away----sulking ---after her defeat, boat for boat , by a 30' catamaran in the Adelaide - Port Lincoln race.

I think Scandia has hidden herself away----sulking ---after her defeat, boat for boat , by a 30' catamaran in the Adelaide - Port Lincoln race.

Hey dude. What don't you understand. No-one on this thread gives a toss about "rafts". Why do you just go back to wherever it is you came from.

Does CD have an unnatural fixation with the doll or is he just parranoid? I hear on the grapevine that he is keeping his cards pretty close to his chest just in case the doll get wind of his setup.... :wacko:

Took this shot of Skamdia parked in the boat yard at Mornington a few weeks ago. Mode change # ? Deck seems a bit flatter than previously?? Dunno really, just guessing...

post-13013-1182751649_thumb.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: There I was sitting there thinking what is that boat parked beside

Skandia????............................................................... ah it's still Skandia......... Dooooaaaah.

Time for another beer me thinks.

Cheers.

Does CD have an unnatural fixation with the doll or is he just paranoid? I hear on the grapevine that he is keeping his cards pretty close to his chest just in case the doll get wind of his setup.... :wacko:

paranoid my arse...CD doesn't care what others are doing...he believes in the creation he has commissioned and like any owner wouldn't want unruly scuttlebutt to develop.

so some more facts to add to above

• The rig is higher as wild Joes
  • there is 3 state rooms and 2 heads
  • A Floor to ceiling Chrome pole will be installed in the Saloon
  • apparently heating is in favour under IRC

the real GU

DBO,

Stats

• - More running SA
  • - slightly shorter

Fark.... I hate it when no bastard bites !

made the whole lot up and noone realised that if the above was true then this thing would rate up there with Skankia.

oh well, just as well there will be a stripper poll and heating.

hope he installs an ice maker

Hey dude. Why do you just go back to wherever it is you came from.

Not a chance, Mate. This is SA.

Oldsailor.

Not a chance, Mate. This is SA.

Oldsailor.

oldsailor, Do I need to add anything or have you realised that this thread is dedicated to the IRC yachts of Vic.

kind regards

GU

P.s - take it to raft anarchy or start a new thread

Does CD have an unnatural fixation with the doll or is he just parranoid? I hear on the grapevine that he is keeping his cards pretty close to his chest just in case the doll get wind of his setup.... :wacko:

Giddy Up is wrong. CD is constantly obsessed with the Doll. I went around to his place and a picture of Michael Hiatt was on a dart board. He hired me to put on scuba gear and measure the size of the head outlets on the Doll so we could copy them on the new Flirt. We even planted one of our crew on the boat (can't name him to protet his identity but he is a cane farmer from Queensland who sails 49ers and he's married to a teacher) - he sent us volumes of data and personal profiles of their crew (with pictures that could be used in blackmail). We also have another one of our crew who is going to work at Norths in Melbourne - just so the Doll doesn't get an edge. We even considered calling the new boat "Flirting Doll" - just so they didn't have more syllables than us (we will still kick their arse in alphabetical order). Last summer we went to a BBQ at their place just to make sure they weren't eating better than we were. So you see - the rivalry is intense and you are absolutely right RRO.

I've got more evidence of their dirty tricks.

All Rowdy could remember when he was hit by a car on his bike was a Living Doll bumper sticker. We knew it was game-on then. We can't prove it but we may be possibly certain that it was something to do with them.

At the CYCA they gave my 4 year old daughter a Living Doll key-ring. She is too young to drive and she doesn't have a house key so you have to wonder what sinister intentions were behind that. She was wearing a Flirt t-shirt so she was obviously their target.

They come across as bunch of nice people with a cool boat but you don't have to go too deep to unearth a gangland style rivalry. Its the Flirt hoodies versus the Doll Bandidos.

Is this Mokbel madness marauding in Mexico?? Great stuff this the Paradox Of Thrift....got any more?

mate, u have no idea what you got your self into...

I tell you what I have got myself into is this sweet Living Doll hat (see picture)

We stole it to get the measurements so they don't get a jump on us in hats. Ours will be a lot better.

post-8605-1182856535_thumb.jpg

Fuck you are full of Shit !!! :P

Hey thrifty, at the danger of setting you off again it sounds like you boys on the Flirt have a bit of Doll envy. Or maybe you are just taking the piss out of everyone.

Having started the thread, I agree it has lost its way a little.

We stole it to get the measurements so they don't get a jump on us in hats. Ours will be a lot better.

I tell you what when in Grassy KI rcently I happenned to notice a lot of Doll-wear on the backs of locals; are they running some kind of secret camp down there?, or recruiting healthy locals all well fed on camembert and kelp perhaps? CD better look into buying up Flinders Is or South Bruny or something

so the tp52 is in the water(with out the rig) any one know when the first race will be??

this thread has become BORING.

Yeah lets start talking about "rafts" as you put it, :ph34r:

oldsailor, Do I need to add anything or have you realised that this thread is dedicated to the IRC yachts of Vic.

kind regards

GU

P.s - take it to raft anarchy or start a new thread

GU.

I would---if there was a "Raft" Anarchy thread to go to.

What do I (or anyone) have to do to get a "Multihull Anarchy" forum up.???

Cheers. Oldsailor. :)

GU.

I would---if there was a "Raft" Anarchy thread to go to.

What do I (or anyone) have to do to get a "Multihull Anarchy" forum up.???

Cheers. Oldsailor. :)

Contact fellow Anarchist MomP via a PM. He tried to get one happening for years.

Minister

Of

Multihull

Propaganda

Rumour has it that Skandia, whilst parked at MYC, has been resting on her keel at low tide. This, plus some big NW breezes and some swell rolling through the harbour have damaged the canting keel hinge thingy. Lots of carbon work going on to fix her.

Anyone looking for a ride to Hobart?

Mex

PS. There's currently two TP52's charging around Syd Harbour doing the CYCA winter series.

so wassup with living doll anway? looks like theres a fair bit of work going on there.

Deck re-paint, lighter engine, removal of canting keel mechanism, bigger rig, forestay further forward I think is a reasonable summary.

Deck re-paint, lighter engine, removal of canting keel mechanism, bigger rig, forestay further forward I think is a reasonable summary.

nice. hope it goes well

I see the new Shogun (Rogers 46) got a third in her first real hitout on Sunday (Chutzpah 1, XLR8 2) comments from anyone doing the race ?

Removal of canting keel mechanism. So much for CBTF.

As Mr Cessna said, "Simplicate,and add less weight".

So is this likely to be the beginning of the end for the canting keel?

Is it a case of rating hit out of kilter with speed/stability gains?

So is this likely to be the beginning of the end for the canting keel?

Is it a case of rating hit out of kilter with speed/stability gains?

I think it's more a case of extreme complication and decreased reliability, plus the need to rely on an engine running all the time to supply the hydraulic pressure versus the speed/stability gains.

In other words it follows the law of diminishing returns.

Hey Melbourne dudes, what's with the rumours of another very noice 50+ footer headed your way from afarr?

No, not talking about a TP

t

Removal of canting keel mechanism. So much for CBTF.

As Mr Cessna said, "Simplicate,and add less weight".

My understanding is that Cookson 50's aren't CBTF - they don't have the forward canard.

it could be a farr 52 one design that has been modifyed but as far as i know its still undecided

Not modified, just built different & the deal's done

My understanding is that Cookson 50's aren't CBTF - they don't have the forward canard.

quantum racing cookson 50 just fitted a forward canard

Could that Farr be the Farr 53 Georgia?? Very pretty boat, but not a potential IRC winner (assuming that's what it has been brought for as it won't be anywhere near the newer 50 footers that are about to arrive).

With all these bigger boats arriving the local big boat talent pool of skill and relevant experience must be starting to get a bit shallow. Where do they all come from? Newbies on bigger boats can get hurt bad. Take care peoples.

With all these bigger boats arriving the local big boat talent pool of skill and relevant experience must be starting to get a bit shallow. Where do they all come from? Newbies on bigger boats can get hurt bad. Take care peoples.

Too true, flatbag, but I wouldn't worry too much about this mob

t

I thought living doll is also getting a deeper keel and bigger bulb as well.. word has it that the local boat yards etc are doing $ok $ with this retrofit - he must sell a shite load of chicks clothing and good on him.

with regards to canting keels - the avg joe sailor wouldnt be up for the maintenance and inspection required, for a racing yacht you'd need a mech eng (and a good one ) or someone that has full knowledge of hydraulics etc - even then they are likely to fuck it up. Because it isnt a foolproof system (compared to a fixed keel) and the consequences are so big if the keel shags itself i reckon the RORC "inflate" the handicap to deter this technology.

F=ma .....

yeah and big boat loads are scary, like amputation scary, first time i heard goldfinger ease sheets (from the beach) I though bloody hell.

So when does the TP get down to melbourne. Its good for melbourne and australia. We need more of these machines here. How old is this Tp 52

So when does the TP get down to melbourne. Its good for melbourne and australia. We need more of these machines here. How old is this Tp 52

It's being put together now. Thommo has been flat out in the chilly melb weather assembling the 18 month old Farr design.. dunno when it's going to race thow

this lot will have no problem sorting the new boat out and should be a lot quicker than the gold boat

this lot will have no problem sorting the new boat out and should be a lot quicker than the gold boat

Pickles, I would assume the TP would be a hell of alot quicker than the "Dirty Sanchez", & Living Doll & the new Flirt and the rest of the melb fleet ;)

Sorry wasnt very clear wasnt talking about the tp52.

Was talking about the new farr 53 thats coming.

I take it "Dirty Sanchez" is the gold boat?

Well that wouldn't be hard, now would it? Crying shame to see how poorly sailed that boat is now.

whats with there new proder??

Lost too many bowmen /women?? Similar prodders went on to the Pommy 52s a few years ago. Probably assists IRC.

whats with there new proder??

What have they made that out of?

Living Doll to be trucked up to Hammo.

Cougar (TP52) out practicing all weekend, spoke with the helmsman Saturday evening and he seem reasonably animated, anyone know details how she went??

Bacardi sold, but staying at SYC. Ex owners waiting for the Georgia.

So we have,

XLR8 (with new rig and minor alterations)

Living Doll (lots of BIG changes)

Goldfinger (now with a carbon prodder)

New Shogun (just launched)

Cougar (just launched)

Georgia (arriving soon)

New Flirt (still to come)

New Chutzpah (still to come)

Am I missing anyone?? Me thinks the Div 1/Div 2 rating bands are going to have to be moved up.

Great to see an influx of new boat into Melbourne. Long overdue.

I've just looked at the Range series results. What on earth is Executive Decision and how did it come to place 2nd IRC, 2nd AMS and 2nd VYC? Doesn't say a lot for the depth of the fleet summer just gone...

Great to see an influx of new boat into Melbourne. Long overdue.

I've just looked at the Range series results. What on earth is Executive Decision and how did it come to place 2nd IRC, 2nd AMS and 2nd VYC? Doesn't say a lot for the depth of the fleet summer just gone...

adams10 , and im pretty sure they won IRC AMS and VYC in Divvy 2 :)

adams10 , and im pretty sure they won IRC AMS and VYC in Divvy 2 :)

Happily corrected. Thanks.

Living Doll to be trucked up to Hammo.

Cougar (TP52) out practicing all weekend, spoke with the helmsman Saturday evening and he seem reasonably animated, anyone know details how she went??

Bacardi sold, but staying at SYC. Ex owners waiting for the Georgia.

So we have,

XLR8 (with new rig and minor alterations)

Living Doll (lots of BIG changes)

Goldfinger (now with a carbon prodder)

New Shogun (just launched)

Cougar (just launched)

Georgia (arriving soon)

New Flirt (still to come)

New Chutzpah (still to come)

Nice line up. Could you say that the racing in Melbourne in the 40-50 foot range is better than Sydney for once?? I don't think there are any new IRC orientated boats being built for Sydney owners (other than Yendys which was launched late last year).

Sure will be interesting to see how the Cougar boys go against the Quest and Wot Yot at Hamo. They have the newest generation boat (probably with the highest rating of the three Tps and it certainly won't be the gift rating they had in the previous beach ball) but less big boat experience than the Sydney based boys.

Another big question is whether there be enough room at the SYC bar for all the big boat owners egos come summer? Someone's sure get to hurt! Ouch.

Well Giddy, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kicthen. or how does the saying go too short, too slow and too f**

trade him to another club, oops isn't that buy a bigger boat.

love ya!!

Nice line up. Could you say that the racing in Melbourne in the 40-50 foot range is better than Sydney for once?? I don't think there are any new IRC orientated boats being built for Sydney owners (other than Yendys which was launched late last year).

Sure will be interesting to see how the Cougar boys go against the Quest and Wot Yot at Hamo. They have the newest generation boat (probably with the highest rating of the three Tps and it certainly won't be the gift rating they had in the previous beach ball) but less big boat experience than the Sydney based boys.

Another big question is whether there be enough room at the SYC bar for all the big boat owners egos come summer? Someone's sure get to hurt! Ouch.

So that's why they're building a Bigger bar ! :P

or atleast navigation marks that accurately show the extent of the entrance sandbar

or atleast navigation marks that accurately show the extent of the entrance sandbar

ART, your wish is SYC's command. Now being installed (like, this afternoon ! )