• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

come on you blokes, who is flatbag, the syc boys surely know who he is...lives in docklands and going to nz for easter, you guys can work it out

Please let me know what you find "funny" in the photo!

I thought the picture was "funny" but I couldn't put my finger on why. Then it came to me - the photo of the equipment of the dock has led me to the inescapable conclusion that you are running a hydroponics set-up on the boat. The water, tarpaulin etc. - it is really obvious.

You mention in other comments a few things that give the game away - "my gear", which everyone knows is another name for weed (hash, doobie, electric puha, grass, etc.). You also use liberally the word deal in your posts - which is obviously associated with drugs. And then there's the name of your boat - QED - I'm onto you now.

PS - If you're bringing in the police then you should report the old submarine that was stolen and dumped at SYC marina. I'm amazed no one picked up on that.

Hahahaha - excellent post.

Just buy a heavier boat - then you can leave everything onboard - saves it getting wet in the rain, and saves lots of time.

I think Don's issue is that he is not anonymous - most would know who he is, which boat, where it is etc. - whereas Flatbag remains largely anon. So the playing field is not level.

Yeah !! +1 for the post paradox - funny haha!! Don, the bit I found funny in the foto was that you went to the trouble of putting a tarp over that "shit" - me - I just would have left it on or left it off. If it was worth covering, maybe something better than a $2- blue tarp. But - hey, each to their own. One mans shit is another mans treasure.

But Paradox - you welcome anytime - quite funny --- a pinched submarine, haha, still brings a smile to my face. Do you think syc have noticed it's arrival yet or do you think they a apart of the "fencing team" and are just awaiting a new buyer.

FFS Don get over it

it's a digital world and anyone walking past can point their phone at your pile of shit and do the same

better give Mr google 24 hours too or tell the world police they've (probably, unless you live in a cave) published a snap of your house from up in the sky and another from out front too

+1

FFS Don HTFU you might as well draw a target on yourself, you could set your sights higher that being Flatties bunnie, especially with Easter around the corner!

While we're on this topic, Flatty, get a life, what kind of sad prick wanders around the Marina while everyone else is out to play, haven't you got any mates ?

From memory, I snapped that pic a few weeks ago on a Sunday when SC was doing some WISC Chicks (with token blokes) racing.

The image proved just too tempting - all that "Personal" stuff was so arousing.

Happy Easter all, especially those heading for Port Fairy - keep safe out there!

I gotta fly now, have chartered a boat in the BOI in NZ for Easter with a bunch of the mates I don't have. Will make a note to get a life on my return.

FB out

Decision made.

I do take issue with someone sneaking around snapping photos of my gear whilst I'm out sailing then posting them for all to view on the internet.

Someone too cretinous to discuss their issues with me personally. The picture is titled Please_explain.jpg.

"Please Explain"....Theres a clue, right there. Flatbag is Pauline Hanson :lol:

Anyone know why Secret Mens Business from Adelaide is currently parked in Melbourne at Docklands?

Is it staying in Melbourne?

Heads Up - Victorian Sydney 38 States this weekend.

Joffa - any bets forthcoming?

TBG,

I know who won't be winning the Corinthian division! How many Pro's have you got on?

Heads Up - Victorian Sydney 38 States this weekend.

Joffa - any bets forthcoming?

TBG,

I know who won't be winning the Corinthian division! How many Pro's have you got on?

I dunno :unsure:

How much did you spend on that new regatta main?

I guess we will know by Sunday afternoon who's performance upgrade worked...?

have any teams been selected for assoiation cup as yet?

I'm sure there is plenty o' discussion going on within the clubs that care about this event, but they tend to keep it secretive until the deadline (23rd April).

Separate 2009 Assoc Cup thread is here....

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...Association+Cup

So the TP52 Stay Calm is on the ship from the UK ready to replace Georgia. Nice one guys.

I also hear that another TP52 is headed for Geelong from Eurpoe and will arrive very soon after Stay Calm. That will give the Shogun boys something to sail against on Corio Bay.

And when's Rob Date's new boat spashing?

All of the above begs one question though. Are there enough competent crew in Melbourne to sail all of the big boats??

So the TP52 Stay Calm is on the ship from the UK ready to replace Georgia. Nice one guys.

Nice looking ride. Some details on her here http://www.farrdesign.com/FYS/597_StayCalm/listing.pdf

Interesting to note that she rates higher than Cougar II, so once the Georgia guys work her out they should be beating her round the track. Not a bad training partner though.

Interesting to note that she rates higher than Cougar II, so once the Georgia guys work her out they should be beating her round the track. Not a bad training partner though.

Cant see that happening.

Nice looking ride. Some details on her here http://www.farrdesign.com/FYS/597_StayCalm/listing.pdf

Fairly handy sail inventory. Should be some great Div 0 racing coming up.

Cant see that happening.

I wasn't suggesting that Cougar would go out training with them and get them up to speed, more just racing against Cougar with a suposed quicker boat will provide some excellent training for the Stay Calm guys.

Cant see that happening.

I wasn't suggesting that Cougar would go out training with them and get them up to speed, more just racing against Cougar with a suposed quicker boat will provide some excellent training for the Stay Calm guys.

I cant see Stay Calm ever beating Cougar, not consistently anyway.

Cant see that happening.

Bold statement dude! That one may come back to bite you. Care to elaborate?

Cant see that happening.

I reckon I might take some of that. What odds you offering ?

What is that?

A Gwen 12 or 125 on steriods?

Now you're asking too much. How many here know what a Gwen 12 is? (You date yourself a bit by that also)

Naa, I only know about them as an item of history, and from the pics of my dad's champion G12, number 249 (the same number that I was given at random as a life-long windsurfing sail number, years later) :P

Pity they died (apart from a couple at Kangaroo Island, SA), because they seem like a nice boat and were one of the very first "modern" dinghies.

What is that?

A Gwen 12 or 125 on steriods?

Now you're asking too much. How many here know what a Gwen 12 is? (You date yourself a bit by that also)

Naa, I only know about them as an item of history, and from the pics of my dad's champion G12, number 249 (the same number that I was given at random as a life-long windsurfing sail number, years later) :P

Pity they died (apart from a couple at Kangaroo Island, SA), because they seem like a nice boat and were one of the very first "modern" dinghies.

OK. Who was/is your dad? (without giving yourself away if you don't wish to) I knew most of the Melb. Gwen guys (and still do) - I sailed 14's back then.

Sad times for the floating tennis court...

Oh dear, what's next for it, adding the wings back on?

should have left her the way she was what

a waste of time and money

Clearly a better boat when it was the floating 'dinner plate'.

Saw a J24 today that ordered a Chicken in Pyjamas, and ended up with a T-Bone - anyone know the story ? (sorry, no pics)

I knew she had been moved from Royals but what the f#@& is she doing in the street? Is that outside TLs warehouse home?

Brings a tear to my eye when I remember how much fun we had on her in her original guise.

Check it out here: http://www.sportscar.au.com/OLD%20WEB%20SI...%20kite%203.WMV

post-449-1240140966_thumb.jpg

I knew she had been moved from Royals but what the f#@& is she doing in the street? Is that outside TLs warehouse home?

Brings a tear to my eye when I remember how much fun we had on her in her original guise.

Check it out here: http://www.sportscar.au.com/OLD%20WEB%20SI...%20kite%203.WMV

post-449-1240140966_thumb.jpg

I went out on her shortly after TL lopped her wings off and during the shakedown whilst working uphill there was jolt everytime she punched through a wave. After a good four turns was put back on the keel bolts the jolting stopped...

I think the reality didnt match TL's concept...

Leaked like a sieve, a dog uphill and the outboard well design sucked.

my 2c.

I also hear that another TP52 is headed for Geelong from Eurpoe and will arrive very soon after Stay Calm. That will give the Shogun boys something to sail against on Corio Bay.

And when's Rob Date's new boat spashing?

All of the above begs one question though. Are there enough competent crew in Melbourne to sail all of the big boats??

TP52 headed for Geelong ???

How many here know what a Gwen 12 is? (You date yourself a bit by that also)

Some of us know the story of when a bloke named Frank who was married to lady named Gwen sailed with another bloke named Bill and won the interdominion 12ft skiff title.

Some of us remember the legend of Pegasus on Lake Illawarra

Some of us remember what the bloke looked like who has won the most ever 16ft skiff nationals looked like the first time in his life he donned a trap harness to sail a Gwen. It wasn't pretty...neither are Gwens...but on a reach. Amazing

Well done to Louie and the CHALLENGE gang on their win in the S/38 Vic states.

Results.... http://syc.com.au/raceresults/syd38_09/series.php

Congrats also to Herschel Landes and the PACEMAKER guys for their win in the J/24 Vic states. Down-to-the-wire win on a countback from Simon Grain & the MAKE MY JAY crew. Good racing!

http://syc.com.au/raceresults/j24_09/series.php

The top end of the Div 0 fleet should see some pretty tight close racing next season with all these guys;

Living Doll

Cougar II

Stay Calm

Shogun

Flirt

New Scarlett Runner

Add to that if you believe what's been said in here a TP52 for Terra Firma and another for Geelong. It's gonna be an interesting summer.

Bottom line is that there just aren't enough quality sailors to fill even 30% of these boats.

Living Doll great boat- badly sailed, poorly commissioned!

Cougar- Good Boat, Smart Guys afterguard...

But the rest are going to have a long hard and expesive lesson in saling, the new style TP52 + are powerful boats and few "club" level sailors have the skill set to get it right. The recent owner of XLR8 has learnt this recently & the new Scarlett Runner will be out of his depth in sailing skills.

Great to be a young person in Melbourne in getting the opportunity to be a key person on a 50+ IRC boat, but there aren't any real sailing leaders in Melbourne showing them the right way to do it....

The top end of the Div 0 fleet should see some pretty tight close racing next season with all these guys;

Living Doll

Cougar II

Stay Calm

Shogun

Flirt

New Scarlett Runner

Add to that if you believe what's been said in here a TP52 for Terra Firma and another for Geelong. It's gonna be an interesting summer.

Living Doll

Cougar II

Stay Calm

Shogun

Flirt

New Scarlett Runner

First I've herd of a tp 52 heading to Geelong. Anyone care to elaborate ?

Bottom line is that there just aren't enough quality sailors to fill even 30% of these boats.

Living Doll great boat- badly sailed, poorly commissioned!

Cougar- Good Boat, Smart Guys afterguard...

But the rest are going to have a long hard and expesive lesson in saling, the new style TP52 + are powerful boats and few "club" level sailors have the skill set to get it right. The recent owner of XLR8 has learnt this recently & the new Scarlett Runner will be out of his depth in sailing skills.

Great to be a young person in Melbourne in getting the opportunity to be a key person on a 50+ IRC boat, but there aren't any real sailing leaders in Melbourne showing them the right way to do it....

Living Doll

Cougar II

Stay Calm

Shogun

Flirt

New Scarlett Runner

Not enough quality sailors to fill 30% and you are proposing then that owners let young people have "an oportunity" with their expensive new toys ?????????

No leaders showing them the right way to do it ????????

Maybe if some so called young rockstars pulled their heads out of their asses and realised that you cant treat a 40+ foot yacht like a dinghy where mistakes cost money and can hurt people, and perhaps if they were willing to go through the learning process and work up to a GP type boat rather than walk onto it they might learn something.

There are plenty of people out there looking for crew and happy to impart their knowledge, not sure there are people with the patience who are willing to learn that you have to move from big fish in a little pond, to little fish in a big pond.

There are plenty of "club" level sailors I know who would kick the ass of many of the so called rockstars out there but they have to earn a living and also have lives they have to live. You know some people just like to go for a sail and sometimes they do ok.

The idea of moving a pro or semi pro crew onto the newest boat and then pissing off onto the next new thing and not truely imparting their knowledge is perhaps the issue here.

I wasn't referring to Pros.

I'm talking about experiened balanaced sailors, who understand owners needs and the skill set required to sail these new more powerful boats with an inexperienced crew.

Few people in Melbourne have the ability to :

1. Managed the crew, and programme,

2. Advise the owners on that programme.

As for the rockstars in Melbourne, if you are refferring to a group of 20 somethings, think they now everything, boat gigs. They too haven't even got the skill set. Put any of them in a laser or etchell and they would be smashed!

I'd rather sail with a group of dinghy sailors like the afterguard on Cougar.

MOCEAN Today, 09:21 AM

"First I've herd of a tp 52 heading to Geelong. Anyone care to elaborate ? "

Move on OLD news. Just how long have u been a member at Gtown?

All good. Obviously not long enough!

:P

Reply to "The Bone" First and foremost - Fuck off Newbie.

As for where is "The Sinking Saucer" cannot be sure but hope it is somewhere that has the use of a crushing ball or compactor, talk about a boat that makes a club look bad!!!!

Which had the longest beard - the ex commodore or "the Saucer"??

Johnny Saint - back from the grave, don't tell me you also did a 350 miler round the bay in a Gwen - what did it rate?? Probably a training boat from YA/YV?

Nice quality talk about the new boats coming into the Bay, bring it on, it will be great viewing and with any luck I may get a ride on one or two of the newies, a delivery or a Wednesday / Thursday niter perhaps ??? It would be fun and I would be so up for it. Went on Skandia for a delivery and sponsors day and it was a great ride.

As for all the rock stars - I do agree a bit with the comment about "put them all in Etchells" -- they may not all get smashed, but it may make them have a bit of a rethink about the own worth, a lot of these guys are really good at their task but in a class like the laser or the hobie's or the Etchells where there are a hundred on the start line and you fart and it costs you BIG BIG TIME. And the ENTIRE RACE is based on 1 or 3 people doing the work of 10 - not 1 or 3 people doing the thinking while 10 others have "tasks" to do.

Most of the young Rockstars that I know are very good sailors and work a boat well, but there are only a couple that can get a crew on a boat and have the entire boat thinking and working the boat as one, this is where a lot of the middle order Rockstars think they are far better than what they are - they are brilliant at their task but lack the ability to be able to put a boat in the position that is needed to be able to conduct their task - this is reserved for the few that I call "Real Rockstars"

I know that every one on board has a job and it is their job to do that job when called on - but as we all have seen, certain boats nearly always seem to be in the right place for most of the time which allows everyone to be able to do their job in a perfect manner - others are not so lucky (practiced) Remember the last race you sailed - I bet there was a boat steaming into a mark, half out of control - somehow just makes it around without hitting or killing anyone then within 5 seconds is screaming at the crew as to "why is the shute not up yet?" - not to mention that they went in wrong sided and he is still sailing the boat on a fucking super shy reaching course. Is he an unlucky skipper that has poor foredeckies or the other way around ?? Whatever, the lucky boat is all set and straming futher ahead.

My point is a champion team will always beat a team of champions. Anyway - cannot wait to see the TP's in action.

Sounds like we are saying the same thing...

There are very few "real" Pro's who sail in Melbourne anyway. Most are contracted to NSW or overseas...

Some of the best sailors in Aus are from either Melbourne or even down the coast...but one thing is for sure they doen't sail every Saturday in Melbourne!

As for where is "The Sinking Saucer" cannot be sure but hope it is somewhere that has the use of a crushing ball or compactor, talk about a boat that makes a club look bad!!!!

Which had the longest beard - the ex commodore or "the Saucer"??

Johnny Saint - back from the grave, don't tell me you also did a 350 miler round the bay in a Gwen - what did it rate?? Probably a training boat from YA/YV?

Not back from the grave. Went back to Airlie. Not always able to get online.

350 miler was on a Seaway. The first one I think, built by Tommy Stevenson, "Ocean Boulevard" with Budgie & Andy Morrison. Quarter ton Nats but I can't remember what year. Never raced a Gwen but think I took one out for a play way back in the 60's when I was sailing 14's.

Have to agree, but have heard a certain S80 skipper (yes Luke) has been approached by at least one new big boat owner to drive. His relationship with Hicko could make for an interesting team.

Have to agree, but have heard a certain S80 skipper (yes Luke) has been approached by at least one new big boat owner to drive. His relationship with Hicko could make for an interesting team.

Based on the past, its hard to see Hicko sailing with someone other than CD as far a Melbourne boats go.

Hey Johnny - 350 miles on a Seaway - that took care of January what do you do in Feb?????????????

Luke on a big boat - great skipper but he has the respect of his current crew (well deserved and I should say he respects the talents of his crew, proof is how long they have been together and successful) Will he have the respect of the "big boat hotshots" ?? Will the owner of the boat be able to keep a good steady crew together for him to work with?? If he can be given time and talent to impart some of his talent and techique it may be a good quick boat, or will all the hotties get off when they are beaten by a TP58(?????? - something bigger and newer) I think he should stick to class racing, it is much more fun and closer and he already has the crew he wants and that know both him and their jobs.

But, what ever - I hope he does well

Hey Johnny - 350 miles on a Seaway - that took care of January what do you do in Feb?????????????

/quote]

Three and a half days if I remember correctly. Round & round & round & round the bay till we got dizzy. 2 cold fronts (not big ones fortunately)

We almost matched race with another boat (Col Anderson) and finished (2nd) within about 2 minutes of each other, about 6 hours ahead of 3rd.

Three and a half days if I remember correctly. Round & round & round & round the bay till we got dizzy. 2 cold fronts (not big ones fortunately)

We almost matched race with another boat (Col Anderson) and finished (2nd) within about 2 minutes of each other, about 6 hours ahead of 3rd.

Ahhh the Seaway. JS I remenber that race. Told my mum I was off to sail for the day. Mate they said 'won't take long'. Three days later when I turned up I was in deep shit with my folks.

There are very few "real" Pro's who sail in Melbourne anyway. Most are contracted to NSW or overseas...

Some of the best sailors in Aus are from either Melbourne or even down the coast...but one thing is for sure they doen't sail every Saturday in Melbourne!

Why ? Because they did the hard yards in smaller boats, did 350 mile passage races around the bay in smaller boats, earn't respect by their peers through

participation and hard work within team enviroments.

Why are they in NSW & OS ? Because that is where the money is. For the real pro's it's a job.

Yes, someone who is young, keen and eager to learn will always make it...but I think there are very few people at club level fostering their desire to learn correctly...because they does don't know themselves..

Obviously they are where the $$ are...they have wifes & kids to feed...

any reports on how the IRC thing went down in melbourne last night?

Nice sales pitch from Urwin. The big boat guys hammered him fairly hard, cause they are pissed off they can't (consistently) build boats that rate well - which is the idea of IRC anyway, and not a bad thing.

They could not get hull factor out of him no matter how hard they tried.

Finished with Stanaway attempting to justify his high-cost existence.

Ahhh the Seaway. JS I remenber that race. Told my mum I was off to sail for the day. Mate they said 'won't take long'. Three days later when I turned up I was in deep shit with my folks.

Hi PP.

Which boat were you on? Do you remember the name of Col Anderson's boat? It won the series and ended up in the Tweed years ago, I think.

Hi PP.

Which boat were you on? Do you remember the name of Col Anderson's boat? It won the series and ended up in the Tweed years ago, I think.

Hi John, that boat was Wonder Woman, named after Billie! She was a Davidson "Fun" Quarter Tonner. Had the pleasure of doing a RYCV Port Arlington & Return race with Ando on that. Learned a bit about trimming and a lot about rum drinking that day! Ando sold her to Kenny Male who kept her on the Noosa River for some years. No idea where she is now.

Hi PP.

Hi John, that boat was Wonder Woman, named after Billie! She was a Davidson "Fun" Quarter Tonner. Had the pleasure of doing a RYCV Port Arlington & Return race with Ando on that. Learned a bit about trimming and a lot about rum drinking that day! Ando sold her to Kenny Male who kept her on the Noosa River for some years. No idea where she is now.

Thats it. Wonder Woman. Almost unbeatable. I remember now, & Ken Male had it for a while. I also remember seeing it somewhere in QLD about 15 years ago.

There are plenty of talented sailors working hard and getting results in their class of choice with a tight and loyal crew. Dave Suda comes to mind who's been at the top end of the J24 fleet in Australia for years. Great fleet racer, solid crew, not too flash in the bar though, now that he's a bit out of practice.

Guys like Luke and Dave don't seem keen to be a cog in someone elses machine. Good on 'em.

Mex

With all due repsect...big step up from steering a S80 to managing and sterring a RP58....Scarlett Runner might have some on!

I think you have your sheets tangled....

Scarlet Runner is an RP52 and you will find its an owner driver operation.

Nice to be welcomed in such a pleasant manner, thanks BV. Did ya hear Cadence Elliott is now a dad born Thursday little boy Lucas, mum and bub doing well. Cadence is buzzing so hard it like hes been playing with 240 volts again.

To "The Bone" Your welcome - and may your skin be strong, it is needed on this site! Thank you for your info on the news regarding Cadance - that was nice to hear - another foredeckie is amongst us!!

Hope to hear of yet another arrival soon - I'm sure that while this next one may not shit his pants, I'm sure it will be always at the owner(s) wallets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you can now take some "heckling" old Johnny, the trip north must have relaxed you a little??? oh the simple joy in stiring the pot!

Sad to hear that the IRC meeting seemed to not make to many smile, there is a lot of money on the water and I for one believe it should be managed better / fairer / cleaner and more transparent. I do not have the answer so I do not want to be over critical but surely there has to be someone with some better understanding and willing to "stick it back up "em" Everyone will be back in Lasers soon if we are not careful, Shit "Lasers" the flashers of going dead down wind are still coming back to haunt me - must have a lay down and a rum - maybe not in that order.

Mummy ----- Mummmmmmmmmmmyy

New Bene first 40 turned up at SYC this afternoon. These things have been performimg well in Europe.

Nice! Probably bit late for Association Cup - pity!

ORCV Winter Series could be interesting with a few new boats arriving recently, assuming they line up for it.

Yeah. I know it's not about Melbourne, bit it is about some Melbourne big boats.

Instead if sitting down there with no wind, or too much, freezing your tits off, have a look at this.

Esprit, Gary Anderson. Delphian. The irrepresible Foxy, and others will be there, again.

That's just a little bit cruel, JS, could be read as gloating- no need to rub it in like that

But have fun anyway you bastard

t

I hear that Stay Calm is only a couple of weeks off arriving. Looking forward to seeing her hit the water. Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get a handle on the boat. Would have to be a good couple of months I would have thought.

I hear that Stay Calm is only a couple of weeks off arriving. Looking forward to seeing her hit the water. Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get a handle on the boat. Would have to be a good couple of months I would have thought.

Recently seen sitting on the deck of a ship in Cape Town Sth Africa. Not too far away now. Boys are hanging out to get their hands on it.